Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

https://zapzee.net/2021/12/21/k-movie-review-kingmaker-light-and-shadow-the-story-of-two-men/
[K-Movie Review] ‘Kingmaker’: Light and Shadow, The Story of Two Men

by Esther Lee | Edited by Young Jun Yang | Translated by Esther Lee

spacer.png
Credit: Megabox Plus M

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about the release of this political movie when the presidential election is right around the corner. However, it did not take long for me to realize that I was worried for no reason. Politics used as a cinematic device, Kingmaker deals with the relationship between two men with vastly different values and asks the audience questions about moral dilemmas.

The movie is set in the 1960s and 1970s, following a group of people who attempt to replace the dictatorship with democracy. Kim Woon Beom is a politician who insists on doing what is right, but he faces constant challenges due to his moral decisions. Seo Chang Dae, a naturalised North Korean, appears in front of Woon Beom and offers him help. With his great strategy, Chang Dae makes Woon Beom a congressman and then a presidential candidate. However, their relationship begins to falter as they clash with their ethical and moral values.

The basic premise of Kingmaker’s plot is based on historical events. Kim Woon Beom and Seo Chang Dae are characters inspired by the late former President Kim Dae Jung and his PI agent Um Chang Rok, also known as the “fox of the presidential election.” The political tensions between the two and the people around them are like what I’ve read in my history textbooks. However, this movie takes a step further into what is beyond Korean history. While it draws the audience with the well-known historical events, it freely tells its story by altering the names of the actual figures who lived through the turbulent times.

This artistic freedom can be seen in the message Kingmaker wishes to convey. The conflict between Woon Beom and Chang Dae raises the question as to whether it’s acceptable or not to commit unjust acts to achieve justice. Throughout the movie, the director intentionally puts Woon Beom in bright light to visualize how he tries to do the right things with good intentions. On the contrary, he describes Seo Chang Dae using shadows and dark tones to bring out his personality, who does whatever it takes to achieve his goal. Just like the old saying, “the brighter the light, the darker the shadow,” Chang Dae’s desire to shine engulfs him and drags him into the darkness while Woon Beom ascends to a higher place and becomes more powerful. The film reaches its climax when these two men’s moral values start to clash.

spacer.png
Credit: Megabox Plus M

The distinct “bromance” in the director’s previous film, The Merciless, can also be seen in Kingmaker. Although the two male figures decide to team up to stand against the dictatorship and create what they believe is “justice,” they soon grow suspicious of each other and face situations that test their relationship. Despite this, it’s evident that they still care about each other, and this complex relationship allows the audience to follow the movie better. The movie gives a hint at the suspense and tension that seems to be boiling beneath the surface by showing the scene where Chang Dae hands Woon Beom a poppy flower, saying, “This can either be medicine or poison.” Like what Chang Dae said, the ambiguous relationship between the two and their fluctuating emotions attracts viewers with its relatable elements.

Sol Kyung Gu and Lee Sun Kyun did an overwhelmingly great job playing Kim Woon Beom and Seo Chang Dae. When actors play historical or real-life figures, they tend to put more weight on portraying the figures by looking exactly the same as them. However, the two actors didn’t attempt to impersonate the late president Kim or PI consultant Um Chang Rok. Instead, they play their original characters as Kim Woon Beom and Seo Chang Dae. Plus, Yoo Jae Myung, Joo Woo Jin, Park In Hwan, Lee Hae Young, Seo Eun Soo, Kim Jong Soo, Yoon Kyung Ho, and Bae Jong Ok adds to the vitality of this movie with their excellent performances.

Kingmaker is a worth watching movie. Its quality scenes and directing are the reasons it’s worth watching. It also has many intriguing elements that remind us of bromance, political thriller movies, and modern historical events. I think Kingmaker will be the most memorable Korean movie I’ve watched this year.

Verdict: Director Byun Sung Hyun’s “bromance” masterpiece film that will follow the footstep of The Merciless (8/10)
Editor Yang Young Jun: There is at least one good part in every movie or TV series. A media geek who isn’t picky with genres.
Translator Esther Lee: I’ll be providing you with up-to-date, reliable Korean entertainment news. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Kingmaker has a new tentative release date of January 26, 2022:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/movie/article/108/0003017294

'Kingmaker' will be released on January 26th..But movie theater business hours are a variable

0003017294_001_20211231103201320.jpg?type=w430

The movie 'Kingmaker' starring Seol Kyung-gu and Lee Seon-gyun is expected to meet the audience on January 26, 2022.

According to the film industry on the 31st, Megabox PlusM has tentatively decided to release 'Kingmaker' on January 26th next year. 'Kingmaker' is a film that begins with Kim Woon-beom, a politician who has been defeated four times, and Seo Chang-dae, an election strategist whose existence and name are hidden, jumping into a fierce election campaign. Director Seong-hyeon Byun and the main production team of 'The Bullies: The World of Bad Guys', which was invited to 'Midnight Screening' at the 70th Cannes International Film Festival and received rave reviews, reunited. Seol Kyung-gu as Kim Woon-beom and Lee Seon-gyun as Seo Chang-dae drew attention.

Originally, 'Kingmaker' was scheduled to be released on December 29th, but it has been preparing for release by holding a media distribution preview on the 13th. However, as social distancing was strengthened due to the spread of Corona 19 and movie theater business hours were limited, it was announced on the 17th that it was temporarily postponed.

Since then, Megabox PlusM has set an internal policy to release 'Kingmaker' on January 26th, ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday, and started to resume the recently delayed promotion.

However, it is reported that the government plans to announce the final release in early January after observing how the government's policy of limiting movie theater hours is decided.

On the other hand, if 'Kingmaker' is confirmed for release on January 26, ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday, it is expected to face off against 'Pirates: The Goblin Flag' starring Kang Ha-neul and Han Hyo-joo.

Reporter Jeong Hwa aoi@mtstarnews.com

~

largephoto1398793.jpg

largephoto1403116.jpg

Spoiler

largephoto1401335.jpg

largephoto1402329.jpg

largephoto1400214.jpg

largephoto1400211.jpg

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 images in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220114008600315
(Yonhap Interview) Actor says little public knowledge about his character was rather helpful for 'Kingmaker'

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr)

SEOUL, Jan. 14 (Yonhap) -- Everybody in South Korea knows who is Kim Dae-jung, who served as the country's president from 1998 to 2003. But far less is known about Eom Chang-rok, a mysterious election strategist who helped Kim become the president after a decadeslong political career.

Actor Lee Sun-kyun, who plays the title role in the upcoming political drama "Kingmaker" inspired by the life of Eom, said Friday this public ignorance rather served to free him from the pressure of portraying a big-shot figure from modern Korean history.

"I knew nothing about him until I read the screenplay of 'Kingmaker.' And I tried to find more records online, but I couldn't," he said during a virtual group media interview. "That means I have no element of reality to refer to. That took a weight off my mind."

The new film from Byun Sung-hyun of the acclaimed crime actioner "The Merciless" (2017) has been attracting wide public attention as it will be released Jan. 26, about a month before the presidential election slated for March 9.

spacer.png
This image provided by Megabox Plus M shows a scene from "Kingmaker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

"It's just a timely coincidence. We didn't intend the schedule," Lee said, citing several postponements of the film's theatrical release due to the protracted COVID-19 pandemic. "It is about political competition and fierce electoral tactics."

All characters in the movie have fictional names as it is not a biopic.

Lee's character Seo Chang-dae is a capable and energetic tactician who leads behind-the-scenes election campaigns for Kim Woon-beom (Seol Kyung-gu), an opposition party candidate who has failed several previous local elections.

Chang-dae dares to use lies, malfeasance and coverups to win elections and finally makes his boss the presidential candidate of the main opposition party for the 1971 election.

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

These images provided by Megabox Plus M shows a scene from "Kingmaker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Lee said it took time for him to decide to join the project when he was offered the role, as he was afraid to portray a real-life figure aged from 20-60s in the film.

"I wondered if I could afford this big role. I felt it was too big for me," he said. "But I loved to work with Seol, one of my role models as an actor. And I trusted director Byun and his crew."

He said he is grateful that "Kingmaker" will finally hit local screens later this month in the midst of the pandemic. It is Lee's first theatrical project since the Oscar-winning black comedy "Parasite" (2019).

"More than two years have passed since we finished filming. We've tried several times to release our film," he said. "Finally, we've set the date and I hope 'Kingmaker' will mark a good start in 2022."

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

These photos provided by Megabox Plus M shows Lee Sun-kyun. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)
(END)

• Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, the_sweetroad said:

LSK's role looks pretty complex and dark here. Excited to see it.

Is it just me or does the trailer really make it look as if the movie is all about LSK's character? Is this trailer very different from the ones released in Korea so far? LSK is a more recognized internationally thanks to Parasite, so they must be taking advantage of that fact.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Is it just me or does the trailer really make it look as if the movie is all about LSK's character? I

I had that thought, too. It made LSK seem to be the central figure.

Did you see this snappy behind-the-scenes video? Again, LSK seems to feature prominently in it. Or maybe the camera just likes him. :D

The music fits so well, too...I was impressed.

https://www.hancinema.net/Kingmaker_-_Movie-Behind_The_Scene_Video-video_63949.html

If you scroll down from the video you'll find all the trailers/ videos they've released so far. Good question as to whether the global trailer is different from the others.

It does strike me that there are so many men in this movie, and very few women. But I guess that was Korean politics back in the day (?).

• Like 2

photo1419358.jpg

Global Poster Released for "Kingmaker"

By William Schwartz | Published on 2022/01/23

The upcoming South Korean political thriller "Kingmaker" recently released a new global theatrical poster. As the poster is written in English, this release is bolstering hopes that "Kingmaker" will see an international release. "Kingmaker" is the first film from director Byun Sung-hun since "The Merciless" back in 2017. The gangster film screened at the Cannes International Film Festival. However, "Kingmaker" itself does not yet have any confirmed film festival appearances.

The creation of the global theatrical poster may assist with that. "Kingmaker" is set to compete with "The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure" in the often lucrative Lunar New Year weekend, although there were no major releases in that timeframe last year due to COVID-19. "Kingmaker" itself was delayed due to the pandemic, having originally been planned for a release in December of last year.

"Kingmaker" will be released in South Korean theaters on January 26th.

Written by William Schwartz

"Kingmaker" is directed by Byun Sung-Hyun, and features Sol Kyung-gu, Lee Sun-kyun, Yoo Jae-myung, Jo Woo-jin, Park In-hwan, Lee Hae-young-I. Release date in Korea: 2022/01/26.

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-global-poster-released-for-kingmaker-157523.html

(emphasis mine :))

• Like 2

This is a very thorough discussion of the movie, particularly the role of Seo Chang Dae: http://star.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/OhmyStar/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0002805873

I like this bit:

Perhaps that's why, as well as Seol Kyung-gu, Yoo Jae-myung as Kim Young-ho, who was inspired by former President Kim Young-sam, and Jo Woo-jin, who took on the role of Director Lee, the ensemble of actors shines, while Lee Seon-gyun's performance stands out. Since the other characters don't show any significant changes during the running time, Seo Chang-dae's emotional lines, repeatedly contemplating whether he is ready or not, flows throughout the film. 

• Like 3

Thanks for posting both those articles @sadiesmith. Loved the first one - she is gushing! :D And the actors come to the movies and do stage greetings! Wish we could be there.

From the second article:

"The important thing is that the movie tells the story from the point of view of Seo Chang-dae, a character inspired by Um Chang-rok, as the title suggests."

So the film is told through LSK's character's point-of-view. Nice.

When can we see it?!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065594010246416
'Land of Happiness' starring Lee Sun-kyun·Jo Jung-suk cranks up production

연합뉴스 / 2022-02-04 15:20:34

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by the distributing company NEW, shows Yoo Jae-myung, Jo Jung-suk, and Lee Sun-kyun. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Feb. 4(Yonhap) – The movie “Land of Happiness (tentative title)” starring Lee Sun-kyun, Jo Jung-suk, and Yoo Jae-myung has recently cranked up, according to the distributing company NEW on Feb. 4.

The movie depicts the story of a character caught in an incident that shook modern history and a lawyer who strives to save him, and it is produced by the film director Choo Chang-min.

Jo Jung-seok plays a lawyer who works to make a living and believes that there are only victory and defeat, not justice, in court, while Lee Sun-kyun plays the role of a soldier at the center of the incident that shook modern Korean history, and Yoo Jae-myung plays another key figure in the case.

Jo said, "Just like the title of the movie, I was happy every moment with my colleagues." Lee also mentioned, "It was a work that became a challenge in many ways. I would like to finish it well and present a movie that will be memorable for a long time to the audience.” (END)

• Like 3

[HanCinema's News] Lee Sun-kyun Talks About "Kingmaker"

By William Schwartz | Published on 2022/02/08

photo1426375.jpg

Actor Lee Sun-kyun recently appeared in "Kingmaker" over the Lunar New Year holiday, a political thriller based in part on the political career of South Korean president Kim Dae-jung. Lee Sun-kyun has spoken in a recent interview about how nervous he was about the ripped from the headlines nature of the story. Yet he still wanted to take the role, as Lee Sun-kyun was fascinated by the behind-the-scenes depiction of political power and thought viewers would be interested in that.

Lee Sun-kyun's own character is based on Eom Chang-rok, a mysterious electoral tactician from the dictatorial era of South Korean history. Lee Sun-kyun confirmed that his own dialect is based on that of Eom Chang-rok, who hailed from North Hamgyong Province. Though a legendary propagandist, little is really known about Eom Chang-rok save for the political affiliations over his career, so Lee Sun-kyun and director Byun Sung-Hyun had to use a lot of guesswork.

Though "Kingmaker" opened only weeks ahead of the March elections, Lee Sun-kyun described the story as being about politicking rather than ideology, noting that at no point do characters describe what they actually want to do with political power. Male friendship and camaraderie is the more relevant ongoing theme. Lee Sun-kyun noted that all the various party members in "Kingmaker" got along well together, a testament to the chemistry of the film's larger cast.

photo1426374.jpg

Regarding his major co-star, Sol Kyung-gu, Lee Sun-kyun expressed surprise at the man's enduring talent. The legendary actor was the famed lead in the 1998 classic "Peppermint Candy" and according to Lee Sun-kyun, still retains similar energy to what he had in that film. Despite his own age, Lee Sun-kyun felt like he had much to learn from Sol Kyung-gu with his personal sense of time and personnel management.

Lee Sun-kyun also had praise for director Byun Sung-Hyun and his ability to merge varying talents into a singularly unique synthesis. For his own sake, Lee Sun-kyun also expressed gratitude for his own career opportunities, acknowledging that "Kingmaker" is his first project since the widely lauded "Parasite" in 2019. "Kingmaker" premiered in South Korean theaters on January 26th.

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-lee-sun-kyun-talks-about-kingmaker-157852.html

• Like 2

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/interview.jsp?blbdComCd=601019&seq=432&mode=INTERVIEW_VIEW
The Story of Light & Shadow, Kingmaker's Director, Byun Sunghyun

by KIM Subin | Feb 15, 2022

Can wrong means be justified for right purposes?

spacer.png

A politician who has lost elections all the time and a political strategist from North Korea who has lived soundlessly under anti-communist slogans that dominated the times. There seems no more failure for the two who have recognized each other. However, different beliefs create cracks among those who have been on a roll. Director Byun Sunghyun of Whatcha Wearin' and The Merciless brought the film Kingmaker set in the 1960s and 1970s elections. As the director of The Merciless, he maintains the emotional line even in the stylish film. Let's meet Director Byun Sunghyun through the video, who is busy filming the movie Kill Boksoon, starring Jeon Doyeon and Sul Kyunggu

Spoiler

- The film Kingmaker was inspired by former President Kim Daejung and his hidden political strategist Eom Changrok. Which parts of the characters or stories attracted you to make it into a movie?
= The question the film asks is this: "Can we justify wrong means for right purposes?" It's a question we still have, and that has no answer yet. I thought Mr. Eom Changrok could be the most suitable person to ask the question. It was also good that there was not much information about the character because that means there should be more room for me to create something in the film.

- It is said that you planned the film while reading former President Kim Daejung's critical biography.
= I didn't find and read the biography intentionally. I read it because it was on my bookshelf at home. Former President Kim Daejung is one of the most important figures in modern and contemporary Korean history. I think he is a great man who overcame so many hardships to the point of being called 'Indongcho,' a small flower that endures the severe winds and frost of winter to bloom in spring. However, I didn't want to honor his achievements or capture a heroic image in the film. In a sense, he is an objectified character looked up to by Seo Changdae. In fact, former President Kim Daejung was a politician who began to shine back then. So, I wanted to depict a young politician full of conviction, and I think he was the one similar to what I imagined.

- Due to the Pandemic, you must've had a longer time for the post-production.
= Since we didn't expect the Pandemic situation, we finished editing early and waited. Actually, there is no significant change other than adding a little more CG. I watched the film at the preview after a long time.

- How did you feel after watching the film?
= I think it is the most satisfying movie that I've ever filmed. Above all, I'm so satisfied with the actors' acting most. Their acting was better than I directed and expected and turned my scenario into a much richer one. The second best thing that I love is the art of the film. We had our principle that we should go with historical evidence from the 1960s to 1970s but not a documentary style. We could stick to it quite successfully.

spacer.png

- We heard that Actor Sul Kyunggu suggested that the name of the character inspired by former President Kim Daejung be changed to Kim Woonbeom.
= There were half and half opinions to use the real names of the real figures vs. change them. In the end, we decided to change the names of the characters to give more room to our creation. I also wanted to allow the actors more freedom while acting their characters. From the perspective of the director or writer, I thought it would be better to change the names to add various imaginations.

- As it is the story of ‘shadow,’ the ‘shadow’ image was actively used in lighting and shooting.
= Literally, I used 'light' and 'shadow' a lot. I put Seo Changdae on the dark side a lot and Kim Woonbeom on the bright side. And when the light enters and shines brightly, Changdae can't see that side, or the light passes by in the scene where Changdae reveals his greed. 'Light' in the film means a 'position' of the character as well as his desires. I made the storyline considering that. Meanwhile, the concept of filming is 'classic.' I've watched a lot of classic movies. While watching them, I did a lot of research on why they looked classic. Regardless of genres, I watched a lot of Steven Spielberg's films because I think they are the most Hollywood style and most classic. I think I watched Schindler's List most.

- Due to the screen tone and set, we can feel a warm and retro atmosphere but there is also a vibe of political noir. What is the tone of the film you planned?
= I gave a warm tone to the New Democratic Party and some black comedy vibe to the Democratic Republican Party. The contrast between light and shadow was strong, and since I used vintage lenses instead of standard ones, I think the audience could regard it as a noir film. Vintage lenses are literally old lenses, not new ones. Instead of making the screen look neat, the particles are taken roughly as they are. Our art director suggested that idea. We didn't intend to contain noir-like nuances but had a lot of meetings, saying, "Let's make something different although it's a period piece. Let's try something uncliched."

- Since the film is based on a modern and contemporary background, you must have had a lot of restrictions on props and places.
= We put a lot of effort into CG, but I'm not sure how effective it is. There were so many restrictions on props and places. It was hard to hunt them because few places were left with the atmosphere of the 1960s and 1970s. There is a place we use a lot when filming period dramas, but I didn't want to film my work there. Naturally, we had to build lots of sets. We also filmed the scenes inside that we could do outside. It took a long time and a lot of difficulties finding the places we wanted. Even we went around looking for places while shooting the film.

- Could you tell us why you used 'comic chat' as a means of introducing the cases in the film?
= I didn't want to introduce the cases using newspaper articles or news footage. While contemplating how to, I remembered an old foreign movie. The jokes of the standing comedians reflected the time in the film. So, I borrowed the idea thinking, 'We used to enjoy comic chats at that time, too.' Personally, I think it was more effective than just showing news footage over and over.

spacer.png

- The scenes of public speech are crucial in explaining the two characters. Tell us about how you directed the speech scenes.
= First of all, the actors playing the characters mattered most. In the case of Kim Woonbeom's speech, we took a lot of takes. The next important thing was the art. We thought a lot about how to capture the actors. I wanted the actors to act with a long breath for a long take without dividing cuts often, thinking about how to capture the actors in the cameras while directing it. For Seo Changdae's speech, rhythms were vital. I used moving lines as if we were watching a musical. We rehearsed the scenes the day before. Usually, we don't rehearse scenes the day before we shoot them, but I should check the moving lines of the characters if it didn't look natural for a character to go up the stairs and then go up to the desk. Putting Changdae on the podium at the moment, I hoped he would feel 'This is what Kim Woonbeom feels.' If you watch the film like a musical, you can enjoy it fully.

- You can have some positive effects while dealing with real figures, but there must be things you need to be wary of.
= I borrowed a lot of actual images for the posters and signboards featuring Kim Woonbeom to remind the audience of the real figure. As you mentioned, there were many parts I had to be wary of. I tried to add some imagination, but I should be careful not to twist facts. The scene where a hand-made bomb explodes at Kim Woonbeom's house is the moment when the drama changes in the film, so we needed a large-scaled scene for the development of the story. However, when I looked at the photos and data related to the incident, the house wasn't been destroyed greatly by the explosion, but it made a very loud explosion sound. Therefore, I didn't put in a bomb scene for a cinematic effect. Instead, trying to convey that this was a huge incident, I used a loud explosion sound, cracking windows inside Kim Woonbeom's house, the news anchor's urgent voice, and the scene Changdae is walking fast. The ideas we pursued were to create something new without overturning the big frame.

- It is said that you suggested that Actor Sul appear in the film while filming The Merciless.
= I was a big fan of films Jeon Doyeon, Han Sukkyu, and Sul Kyunggu starred in the 2000s. I grew up learning a lot from the way they acted while watching the directors' films. It was an honor for me to work with Actor Sul Kyunggu. Actor Sul's 'acting' is most reliable to me. I think he is one of the best actors in Korea.

- We heard Actor Sul wanted Seo Changdae's character more.
= The character Kim Woonbeom is the one Seo Changdae looks up to. So, Kim Woonbeom may not be a very attractive character from an actor's point of view in the scenario. The character seems to be bland because he can't easily reveal his desire or show his hidden side. I thought few actors can do this in three dimensions, and I thought Actor Sul was the one who could do it. Anyway, I'm also curious about Seo Changdae played by Actor Sul. If it happened, Kim Woonbeom should be a lot older, but I wanted to depict Kim Woonbeom as a young politician.

spacer.png

- It's your first time to work with Actor Lee Sunkyun, right?
= It was great that we have a lot of things in common. We love the same singers, similar movies, and even drinking. Actor Jeon Hyejin, Lee's wife, is one of them, too. He told me that he got the idea of Seo Changdae from me, so I melted my usual tones into Changdae's lines. Watching Actor Sul and I were bickering with each other, he seems to have thought that we were like Kim Woonbeom and Seo Changdae.

- Kim Woonbeom and Seo Changdae make each other shines, but their relationship is shaken by small doubts, which reminds us of the emotional lines in a romance movie. Like in the previous work, did you have the idea that it could be a romance genre in describing the relationship between the two characters?
= I think all of my films have some kind of romantic relationship. In the case of The Merciless, I openly intended to make it as a romance film, and the audience seemed to recognize it. While writing the scenario of Kingmaker, I think some romance-like vibes were added to it naturally. I think it's not my intention but a way to unravel stories when I write scenarios. And I think all relationships can be solved in a romance movie, including the feelings such as jealousy, envy, and hatred.

- The film has a subtitle, 'The Fox of the Election.' Did you have some concepts of the characters through animals? 
= 'The Fox of the Election' is like a nickname of Eom Changrok, the real figure. I put it in as a subtitle but took it out later. I thought of an animal when I set Jo Woojin's character. We talked about going like a snake before shooting. At first, I think he thought of a sly man from Gyeongsang-do. I watched the film Default at the preview, and I thought Actor Jo's character could overlap. So I texted him and asked to go with a neutral image. Later, Woojin told me that he could capture the image of his character by my suggestion. He immediately set the tone, and I gave him a green light on the spot.

spacer.png

- We can't predict the genres or subject matters of your next film. What stories fascinate you?
= I'm curious about that, too. I'm curious not because I'm putting myself high but because I'm uneasy and curious at the same time. Since I don't get a scenario from someone to direct or plan it but tend to write scenarios and map out subject matters myself, I feel uneasy when I can't come up with any ideas, thinking 'At this point, I should think of it, but why nothing comes to my mind?' The stories that fascinate me depend on my condition, but I recently heard that my films talk a lot about breaking up. Come to think of it, it's true.

- Are you planning a new film nowadays?
= I am not planning a film but filming Kill Boksoon these days. I'm working with Jeon Doyeon, whom I've dreamed of, and Sul Kyunggu, who has worked with me all the time.

- You directed like a musical and a play in the scenes of comic chats and public speeches. Do you want to challenge the musical genre yourself?
= Usually, Korean movies do not give a director a long free period. If someone gives me about a year and songs for a musical are ready in advance, I would like to try it.

• Like 3

Another review: http://www.ihalla.com//read.php3?aid=1644505200720706362

Some interesting LSK parts per Google translate:

The responsibility of the person receiving the spotlight and the earnestness of desperately trying not to be blinded by the light was completed with the complex expressive power of actor Seol Kyung-gu. Nevertheless, 'Kingmaker' is a film of actor Lee Sun-kyun more than anyone else. Actor Lee Seon-gyun, who has done a great job as a supporter who mainly highlights the strengths of female characters, such as dramas 'Pasta' and 'My Mister', and the movies 'Wagon Car' and 'All About My Wife' 'Shadow Warrior' proves his excellence once again. From the longing for the object of envy and the slight anxiety about one's own certainty, the trembling pleasure of holding hands with the other person, and the subtle gaze at the object of desire that has suddenly become ambiguous while deflecting from the spotlight, actor Lee Seon-gyun is a convincing performance. It filled every moment of 'Kingmaker'. Thanks to this, I even thought that it would be difficult to see a political drama dealing with such a unique narrative of unrequited love for a while.

'Kingmaker' is also a movie about how long shadows follow the light until the fine light illuminates the darkness. Actor Lee Seon-gyun, who took on the role of Seo Chang-dae in the play, showed his acting that showed how bright the shadow's escort was. In the end, the last chant of the film remained in the form of a shadow moving away from the light, but what is clearly remembered after the movie is the end of the film is the true value of actor Lee Seon-gyun. 'Kingmaker' is a work that proves how deep an actor Lee Seon-gyun, who may have seemed a little sane and comfortable, is an actor with his own reservoir, meeting the characters next to the main character like the refraction of light.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2022 at 10:11 PM, sadiesmith said:

Thanks to this, I even thought that it would be difficult to see a political drama dealing with such a unique narrative of unrequited love for a while.

That's an interesting and intriguing way to put it!

~

"Kingmaker" Launches on South Korean VOD Services

By William Schwartz | Published on 2022/02/25

photo1436152.jpg

On February 24th the political drama film "Kingmaker" launched across South Korean Video-On-Demand services. "Kingmaker" was released in South Korean theaters on January 26th during Lunar New Year weekend, and has amassed 759,729 admissions as of this writing according to the Korean Film Council. The movie is inspired by the real-life relationship between opposition leader Kim Dae-jung and political operative Eom Chang-rok during South Korea's dictatorial era.

Among the services "Kingmaker" can now be watched include IPTV, HomeChoice, Google Play, TVING, wavve, Naver Series On, Kakao Page, and Skylife among others. There are still no plans for an official release of "Kingmaker" in the international market. The film is the latest from director Byun Sung-Hyun, who made gangster film "The Merciless" back in 2017.

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-kingmaker-launches-on-south-korean-vod-services-158279.html

• Like 1