Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

After spending some time at the Twitter black hole :D I kind of guess why some of the Korean don't like LSK (this is just my take after reading all of those badly translated tweets, this theory hasn't been scientifically proven).

First, although his voice is unique but for some people his pronunciation isn't clear and difficult to understand.

International fans, like me, who always using subtitles and don't speak Korean, probably don't realize this or maybe don't understand its significance.

Second (which I think is a bit ridiculous), they don't think he deserves Jeon Hye Jin.

He always said in interviews that his wife is a better actor than him. I guess it's true, but I also thought that he's grown a lot as an actor. But, some people like to compare them and thought that her marriage to him hindered her career. Like he should just stay home and take care of the kids and let her work since she was better than him.

Sadly, some of this came from JHJ fan account. I mean, as fans don't you think we should support the important people around our idol, especially their SO...

And, just because you are a fan, doesn't mean you have the right to comment on their personal life.

I'm sorry for the rambling and bring such negativity... I've been annoyed by this matter for awhile and I need to vent haha

Well, look at the bright side : at least he's famous enough to have haters :P

And, once again, this is just my take and maybe I didn't get it right...

• Sad 1

Thank you for all your "good" work, @widala:lol:

8 hours ago, widala said:

First, although his voice is unique but for some people his pronunciation isn't clear and difficult to understand.

International fans, like me, who always using subtitles and don't speak Korean, probably don't realize this or maybe don't understand its significance.

I have come across similar comments often enough to believe that it does annoy some audience. But as long as more people like it, he could continue to get jobs.

Your second point is a new one for me. Gosh, that's a bit wacky. It's true JHJ has "sacrificed" her career for the sake of family, but I hope she doesn't have regrets. And isn't it awesome how easily she got back in the game? 

And since we're having so much fun "dissing" our favorite actor, I might as well offer up one more thing: some Koreans think his acting lacks range. They say he acts the same no matter what role he's playing. :unsure:

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

And since we're having so much fun "dissing" our favorite actor, I might as well offer up one more thing: some Koreans think his acting lacks range. They say he acts the same no matter what role he's playing. :unsure:

Yes, I've read some of those somewhere too...

On the other hand, he's been typecasted by the industry. Most of his characters are loser or underdog or cheated husband... :sweatingbullets:

Isn't funny that CEO Park is the first rich and successful character he played after 20 years working as an actor?

Although I'm not an expert, I think he managed to give nuance to those similar characters. For example, Ko Geun Soo and Jo Pil Ho.

Ah, speaking of Jo Pil Ho... I was angry that the director wouldn't let Jo Pil Ho be cool until the end. I mean, the last scene when he went to the villain's lair to take revenge... I think his way to smuggle the gun is clever (though a bit disgusting :sweatingbullets:) but the director just had to ruin it...

If only the movie focused more on Pil Ho and Mina, instead of the action scenes... Maybe it's just because action movies are not my cup of tea, but for me the strongest parts in this movie are those that tell Pil Ho and Mina relationship. I think they can really be a good influence to each other...

Haha so sorry for jumping from one topic to the other...

This is true he has been typecasted... I doubt they would cast him as the "handsome rescuer of the damsel in distress" copy and paste roles in kdrama... especially with him not being the conventional handsome guy in Korea. Funny, because the "handsome" roles aren't interesting... The interesting roles goes to the antagonists or the supporting roles and LSK is at the leading man lane now so he gets stuck with roles that the industry thinks what he is best at...I remember that Star Date (?) Interview they mentioned that LSK is the best at acting annoyed @_@ is that their reason for typecasting him? Sheesh. 

Hoping for King Maker, since he has more of a supporting role in it, a genius at political strategizing, that he'd show them haters that he's not a one trick pony. I mean My Mister didnt convince them yet? I havent seen Parasite yet but from reviews I doubt he looked like his other characters there :huh: 

• Like 2

This post dissing and praising LSK at the same time :D

"If you know Lee Sun-kyun and Jeon Hye-jin, you won't be able to talk strangely. Although he needs subtitles, Lee Sun-kyun's steady-growing learning, his loyalty is rare in this field, and Jeon Hye-jin's light is somewhat later on, it's not because of her husband, but because of her structural problems. I don't want you to be an expert on couples."

Sorry if the translation a bit weird. Papago is a good translator but still needs editing...

I appreciate posts like this who tell people to back off from this couple. 

Anyway, am I a bad fan for laughing at "... he needs subtitles..." part? 

Please forgive me,  LSKnim, I love you!

9 hours ago, potaters said:

This is true he has been typecasted... I doubt they would cast him as the "handsome rescuer of the damsel in distress" copy and paste roles in kdrama... especially with him not being the conventional handsome guy in Korea. Funny, because the "handsome" roles aren't interesting... The interesting roles goes to the antagonists or the supporting roles and LSK is at the leading man lane now so he gets stuck with roles that the industry thinks what he is best at...I remember that Star Date (?) Interview they mentioned that LSK is the best at acting annoyed @_@ is that their reason for typecasting him? Sheesh. 

Hoping for King Maker, since he has more of a supporting role in it, a genius at political strategizing, that he'd show them haters that he's not a one trick pony. I mean My Mister didnt convince them yet? I havent seen Parasite yet but from reviews I doubt he looked like his other characters there :huh: 

To be fair, he did consciously try to pick diverse roles to avoid being typecast. There's a reason we haven't seen him in a romance, and he himself protested that his romantic guy image was from "so long ago." He was spot on in A Hard Day at playing a grey character, although ironically, he was chosen precisely because of his good guy image. Hahaha... The King Case Note was not exactly a successful attempt at a Sageuk character though, and that's where I read most of the criticism about him being "similar." But after Park Dong Hoon, a role he was born to play, I hope he squelched that notion for good!

7 hours ago, widala said:

it's not because of her husband, but because of her structural problems.

Hahaha... What exactly were her "structural problems?"

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

What exactly were her "structural problems?"

I'm sorry, I checked again and it's not a correct translation.

I tried again translating just this sentence

스타 캐스팅에 밀린 구조적인 문제가 크죠.

"There's a big structural problem with star castings."

So, I guess the problem is not her, but with the castings in the industry... But, I don't know what that means either :sweatingbullets:

Maybe, like we talked about in the past post, that they rather cast younger actress or idol-turn-actor rather than older actress even with more experience...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

To be fair, he did consciously try to pick diverse roles to avoid being typecast. There's a reason we haven't seen him in a romance, and he himself protested that his romantic guy image was from "so long ago." He was spot on in A Hard Day at playing a grey character, although ironically, he was chosen precisely because of his good guy image. Hahaha... The King Case Note was not exactly a successful attempt at a Sageuk character though, and that's where I read most of the criticism about him being "similar." But after Park Dong Hoon, a role he was born to play, I hope he squelched that notion for good!

Yes, Park Dong Hoon and all the praise from different critics of the great acting of the cast in Parasite. I gotta watch it once it's available...

Speaking of romantic roles... I remember him being chosen as the lead of a movie titled Love Is A Virus with Shin Mina as the female lead I wonder why that didnt happen. I remember being excited for that one haha

10 minutes ago, potaters said:

Speaking of romantic roles... I remember him being chosen as the lead of a movie titled Love Is A Virus with Shin Mina as the female lead I wonder why that didnt happen. I remember being excited for that one haha

I am still bitter Love Is A Virus didn't happen. <_< I was so hyped by the wacky premise and potential chemistry with Shin Mina. 

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am still bitter Love Is A Virus didn't happen. <_< I was so hyped by the wacky premise and potential chemistry with Shin Mina. 

Yes! Now I'm hyped with the possible pairing with Jung Ryeo Won in the lawyer drama (if she accepted already) they'd be cute together. I just recently saw pics of them going to an event together back in 2007 or 2008 some ppl thought they were dating apparently because of that haha 

• Like 1

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/421/0004089429

Lee Sun Kyun, Kim Nam Gil, Lee Sang Yeob, Kim Min Sik and Go Kyun Pil confirmed as tvN's "the Siberian Selection Team"

Wow, they are going for a trip in Siberia?!

Glad LSK's buddy, Kim Min Sik, is joining the team. Waiting for his IG updates on this :D

But, what about the JTBC drama?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, widala said:

Wow, they are going for a trip in Siberia?!

Glad LSK's buddy, Kim Min Sik, is joining the team. Waiting for his IG updates on this :D

But, what about the JTBC drama?

Yes, what about that JTBC drama that is supposed to start shooting next month? I want that more than this variety show. Siberia sounds brutal. 

But at least there is some movement forward on the drama although we still don't know who the writer and director are. They just added Jeon Seung Woo to the cast:

http://www.seohaenews.net/news/article.html?no=43734#0BQf

photo902711.jpg

• Like 1

Article in English 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/07/actors-lee-sun-gyun-kim-nam-gil-lee-sang-yup-more-to-head-on-a-friendship-trip-to-siberia-for-new-reality

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Yes, what about that JTBC drama that is supposed to start shooting next month? I want that more than this variety show. Siberia sounds brutal. 

Seems like they will travel the Trans Siberian Railway...

When I heard about the backpacking show, because it's still summer, I thought I could see him in shirts and shorts. But, I guess he'll bundle up in thick coats :unsure:

When will they shoot the show? 

Is Kingmaker finished filming yet?

Although the show seems fun, like you, I'm looking forward to see the drama more...

• Like 1

Soompi's article about the show

(I've been waiting for this since yesterday)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1336765wpp/lee-sun-gyun-kim-nam-gil-and-lee-sang-yeob-in-talks-for-tvn-travel-show

Update: Lee Sun Gyun, Kim Nam Gil, Lee Sang Yeob, And More Confirmed For tvN Travel Show

Jul 5, 2019
by J. K

Updated July 13 KST:

Lee Sun Gyun, Kim Nam Gil, Lee Sang Yeob, Kim Min Sik, and Go Kyu Pil are confirmed to be preparing for a new tvN variety show!

“Siberian Advance Party” (literal translation) is set to air in the second half of the year and will follow a group of close friends as they travel along the Trans-Siberian Railway, which is on the bucket list of many travelers. Anticipation is rising for the group as they’re actual friends and an interesting combination of people who haven’t been seen on variety shows.

The production staff said, “Siberian Advance Party” will be a real look into five close friends as they eat, sleep, and play on the train together. Not only will they share honest and funny stories, but the show will also provide helpful information to people who hope to travel along the railway,” and “As internet and phone service isn’t very good, the five celebrities will be embarking on an unplugged trip, so please anticipate it.”

• Like 1

I'm worried about that JTBC drama...

It was confirmed that Chief of Staff 2 will air in November, and take the Monday-Tuesday slot. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1338287wpp/chief-of-staff-cast-bids-farewell-to-season-1-and-share-hints-at-season-2

While the Friday-Saturday slot could be filled with Chocolate (Ha Ji Won's drama), although it seems haven't been confirmed yet. But it already has Asianwiki page...

http://asianwiki.com/Chocolate_(Korean_Drama)

On 7/13/2019 at 2:58 AM, widala said:

I'm worried about that JTBC drama...

It was confirmed that Chief of Staff 2 will air in November, and take the Monday-Tuesday slot. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1338287wpp/chief-of-staff-cast-bids-farewell-to-season-1-and-share-hints-at-season-2

While the Friday-Saturday slot could be filled with Chocolate (Ha Ji Won's drama), although it seems haven't been confirmed yet. But it already has Asianwiki page...

http://asianwiki.com/Chocolate_(Korean_Drama)

I am not optimistic we will see the drama this year at all. The biggest clue is his new travel show. Accepting that project must mean he knew he wouldn't be busy with the drama right away. Besides, there's not been any update from JTBC apart from the offer to this actor last week. So boohooo.... Who knows how long we'd have to wait.

But what about Wed-Thurs slot? What is being planned there?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am not optimistic we will see the drama this year at all. The biggest clue is his new travel show. Accepting that project must mean he knew he wouldn't be busy with the drama right away. Besides, there's not been any update from JTBC apart from the offer to this actor last week. So boohooo.... Who knows how long we'd have to wait.

But what about Wed-Thurs slot? What is being planned there?

Yes, when a drama is announced, usually they will mention the leads, writer and PD.

So far, the leads are still "in talks" and we don't know who the writer and PD...

It's so sad... I was very excited about this drama... Hopefully it will still happen even if it's not this year...

For now, JTBC only has two slots for drama.

• Sad 1