[Movie 2008] The Good, The Bad, The Weird 좋은 놈, 나쁜 놈, 이상한 놈

rubie

May 15, 2008

Five Korean films join Cannes fest

cannes.jpg

Cannes2008.gifOfficial Website festival-cannes.fr

The 61st Cannes Film Festival has kicked off with fanfare, spicing up the festive mood for moviegoers all around the world. The ebullient mood remains largely the same here in Korea, but one thing is palpably different: There's no chance for a Korean movie or actor grabbing an award in the competition section this year.

Last year was special for the Korean film industry. Jeon Do-yeon won the prestigious best actress award for her impassioned role in the heart-wrenching flick "Secret Sunshine." This year, however, such dramatic development is unlikely to occur because no Korean film has been invited to the competition section.

But it is too early to shift attention from Korean filmmakers toward Hollywood stars. After all, five Korean movies are to be screened in various sections at Cannes, and all of them have a potential to charm foreign filmmakers, critics and media in various ways.

At the forefront stands director Kim Jee-woon's big-budget flick "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," which is one of the official selections in the Out of Competition section. The movie, set in Manchuria in the 1930s, is one of the biggest Korean projects this year, with the star-studded cast drawing keen attention from local movie fans and critics. Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jung Woo-sung play rebellious characters in an exotic style.

In the Un Certain Regard section, director Bong Joon-ho's "Tokyo!" -- an omnibus film produced through a Korea-Japan-France joint venture project -- has been invited, and what's notable is the renowned Korean filmmaker's efforts to expand his moviemaking coverage. Bong recruited Japanese actors to portray a sense of isolation and the meaning of affection by focusing on the travails of a group of Japanese who are sidelined and shunned in society.

In the Midnight Screenings section, director Na Hong-jin's "The Chaser" will be featured. The film, released in mid-February, emerged as Korea's top film in the first half of this year thanks to its heart-pumping dramatization that outsmarted other competitors, including Hollywood blockbusters. The film's success came as a surprise because its budget was smaller than other mainstream Korean films and main actors were relatively low-profile. Defying skepticism, however, the film drew enthusiastic response from Korean moviegoers largely due to its fast-paced storytelling and the actors' dedicated performances.

Also joining the Cannes programs is Park Jae-ok, whose animated short, "Stop," will be featured in the Cinefondation section. Park graduated from the Korean Film Academy this year and is regarded as a promising younger-generation filmmaker.

Kim Ki-young's 1960 masterpiece "The Housemaid" will be also screened in the Cannes Classics section.

Some of the Korean filmmakers and actors have already taken steps to join the festival. To promote "The Chaser," director Na Hong-jin and main actors Kim Yun-seok and Ha Jung-woo have flown to Cannes. In particular, Ha will make it to Cannes for the third time after he had visited the festival for his roles for Yoon Jong-bin's "The Unforgiven" (Un Certain Regard section in 2006) and Kim Ki-duk's "Breath" (competition section in 2007).

Kim Jee-woon, Song Kang-ho, and Jung Woo-sung are scheduled to leave for France next Thursday to promote "The Good, the Bad, the Weird." Lee Byung-hun, who is working on his Hollywood debut film "G.I. Joe," will also join the team to hold a press conference and red-carpet events.

Korean movie sales firms led by CJ Entertainment, Mirovision, Showbox, Show East, and Sidus FNH also attended Cannes by setting up their booths in the Cannes Market.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.com

:w00t: wow!..how come i didn't notice the GBW hunks in the pic??..Will they be at Cannes too?..Ha Jung Woo and The Chaser team took off today i think..

Song Kang Ho & Jung Woo Sung will be leaving for Cannes on the 22nd. The GBW screening is scheduled on the 24th. Related press conferences will be held in 2 sessions on May 23 and 24th (thanks to Janice for the info). LBH will join them in Cannes as he's flying in separately from the US.

Some GBW-Chaser-Cannes update at Byunghun of our Hearts.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest inez

Ok..thanks Rubie..am so following the Cannes events too..now i am looking at so many Cannes related sites..there's one Korean blog and it's in English..he's over there now and i reckon he will fill us in..

Ok..thanks Rubie..am so following the Cannes events too..now i am looking at so many Cannes related sites..there's one Korean blog and it's in English..he's over there now and i reckon he will fill us in..

That's great to know! Thanks inez-sis!

Share with us too, anything at all.. GBW especially :D .. is it one of the Darcy's or Mark Russell.. or someone else? :blush:

Guest inez

It's not those guys Rubie..i think this one's Korean and doing movie reviews in English, he said he will fill us up on the Korean movies being screened there..the press cons n stuff..i hope he gets to meet them to..who knows!!

It's not those guys Rubie..i think this one's Korean and doing movie reviews in English, he said he will fill us up on the Korean movies being screened there..the press cons n stuff..i hope he gets to meet them to..who knows!!

Oh.. maybe it's Mr. X? :rolleyes:

Whoever he is.. hope he'll have a wonderful time there.. most importantly gets to watch the movies & meet the guys in Cannes to share the experience with us. :lol:

Good thing, huh.. that The Chaser and GBW's screening are not clashing, with quite a gap apart of each other. ^^

Guest Janie Simply

http://media.daum.net/entertain/broadcast/...mp;cp=hankookis

Yes, it has been confirmed; their bosses have granted them wishes!

Kim & his GBW actors will meet each other in Cannes on May 22 evening.

Director Park has spared Song 5 days off from his filming of Bat in Pusan

G I Joe has granted Lee 3 days off; Lee will fly from Czech.

Both Lee & Song have been to Cannes in 05 & 07 respectively whereas it's Jung's first time to step in Cannes!

edited :P

---

http://www.hanatour.co.jp/hallyu/good_bad_weird.asp#

Hanatour of Japan invites you to Korea for the GBW premiere in July; Let's go & grab those limited goodies!

1741bf8b59a6b46c9e2fb4a1.jpg

good_008.jpg

Now this is truly "Everything LBH" :sweatingbullets:

nom-1.jpg

Baidu

^ The GI Joe producers are really strict with giving time-off to their actors woking for them. At least Dir. PCW is more flexible with his decision. BH was in Cannes in 2005.

Thanks so much Janice for these wonderful GBW goodies sharing.. it's obviously for the Japanese fans going to the GBW premiere in July. The tours are definitely planned for them with BH/The BAD in mind.

I especially love the t-shirt but we'll only be able to see and not touch all the cool items as they are not meant for others.

Do share the posting & info at LBH thread, too. Thanks.

May 8, 2008

The New Crew: Cannes miniprofiles

Execs and talents with new jobs, titles or new path

By VARIETY STAFF

Suh Young-joo

With three films in Official Selection, Suh is making an impressive debut for her new sales company, Fine Cut. She previously built Cineclick Asia as Korea's only stand-alone foreign sales outfit, but sold it a year ago and then quit in December. She's determined to offer a diverse international slate and is repping Pablo Trapero's "Leonora" in competition, Na Hong-Jin's "The Chaser" in Midnight screening. Suh is also an investor in out-of-competition title "The Good, the Bad, the Weird."

For complete article, please refer http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985379.html

---

May 8, 2008

Cannes films on buyers' lists

Can fest, market titles jumpstart acquisitions action?

By SHARON SWART

After less-than-swift sales at Sundance in January and a rather uneventful Berlin the following month, acquisitions executives are taking a wait-and-see approach as they head to the French Riviera for Cannes.

Buyers, as is often the case, seem somewhat nonplussed by the festival lineup. Some note they don't discern any obvious pickup targets along the lines of last year's "We Own the Night." Others predict foreign-language films might be the most interesting finds at the fest this year. And several execs expressed curiosity about titles that were still in post-production.

So, perhaps more of the action will be at the Cannes Market this year. "There might be a frenzy of pre-buying," speculated one sales exec hopefully. "People don't need pictures for this year, but for 2009."

A sampling of the goods -- both at fest and market -- that buyers say they'll take a closer look at:

THE ARGENTINE and GUERRILLA: Steven Soderbergh's Che Guevara biopic double play, starring Benicio del Toro, made some presales at Berlin's market, but with the finished pics set to bow in Competition, a domestic buyer could step up to the plate. (Sales: Wild Bunch)

BUNRAKU: First footage of the martial arts fantasy actioner, currently shooting in Romania, will unspool at Cannes. Cast includes Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore and Japanese popstar Gackt. (IM Global/CAA)

THE BURNING PLAIN: "Babel" scribe Guillermo Arriaga's U.S.-set directorial debut, toplining Charlize Theron. Pic is in post. (2929 Intl./UTA)

A CHRISTMAS TALE: Arnaud Desplechin's French-language Competition entry, with a cast including Catherine Deneuve and "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" star Mathieu Amalric. (Wild Bunch)

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD: South Korean Western from horror-thriller maestro Kim Jee-woon. Playing out-of-competition in Official Selection. (CJ Entertainment)

GOMORRA: Modern-day Naples crime-family tale, helmed by Matteo Garrone and based on Roberto Saviano's book. In Competition. (Le Pacte)

HUNGER: Debut film from Brit artist Steve McQueen about IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands. Un Certain Regard's closing film. (Icon Intl. )

THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS: Terry Gilliam's fantasy pic starring Heath Ledger (replaced by Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell). In post. (Mandate/Arsenal)

MAMMOTH: Swede Lukas Moodysson's English-language drama toplining Michelle Williams and Gael Garcia Bernal. In post. (TrustNordisk)

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK: Scribe Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut, with a cast including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Hope Davis and Catherine Keener. In Competition. (Kimmel Intl./UTA)

TREE OF LIFE: Terrence Malick's in-production fantasy-sci-fier, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. (Summit)

THE SILENCE OF LORNA: Competition pic from former Palme d'Or winners Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne ("The Child," "Rosetta"). (Celluloid Dreams)

TWO LOVERS: James Gray's ("We Own the Night") latest Cannes Competition entry, a Brooklyn-set drama starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Joaquin Phoenix. (2929/Wild Bunch/CAA)

WALTZ WITH BASHIR: Israeli animated docu, helmed by Ari Folman. In Competition. (Match Factory)

WILD BLOOD: WWII drama starring Monica Bellucci, from "The Best of Youth" helmer Marco Tullio Giordana. An Official Selection special screening. (Wild Bunch)

Source: Variety.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985377.html

Guest Janie Simply

^ The GI Joe producers are really strict with giving time-off to their actors woking for them. At least Dir. PCW is more flexible with his decision. BH was in Cannes in 2005.

Yes, Director Park is so generous towards his actor; Not surprising though 'cos he knows the honor of being present at this festive event :sweatingbullets: He was there for Old Boy and Berlin for Cyborg etc. Oh, so he is directing a movie called "Thirst", hmm, why the chinese translated it as "Bat" sth like that :unsure: .

This is a fabulous, fabulous highlight by cacao & Angel70 at lovelbh.com :wub: Merci beaucoup!

I didn't realize that CJ Entertainment already had an English page for GBW. Awesome. Hopefully we'll see the GBW official website soon or maybe this is it?

Cannes GBW-poster from Byunghun of our Hearts, with thanks to the initial highlight by ylin

2008 Festival de Cannes “The Good, The Bad, The Weird”

by Director Kim Jee Woon

lebonlabruteetlecinglettz4.jpg

Presented by CJ Entertainment

Produced by Barunson Film Division / Grimm Pictures

Distributed by CJ Entertainment

SONG Kang-ho, LEE Byung-hun, JUNG Woo-sung

Director KIM Jee-woon

July, 2008

Oriental Western, 35mm, 2.35:1, Color, Dolby SRD

Genre : Period Action/Drama

Synopsis : With the Korean Peninsula under Japanese rule in 1930s, many Koreans flock to Manchuria for refuge. Some become bandits, some train robbers and yet others bounty hunters. While the Weird, a notorious train robber, is stealing from a Japanese train crossing the Manchurian plains, he discovers a treasure map. But the map is also sought after by the Bad, a merciless gang leader. Coincidentally, the Good, a bounty hunter, is on the train, and he is after the Bad. The three engage in a spectacular chase with the Japanese Army, the Korean independence fighters, and the Chinese bandits all looking to get their hands on the prized map.

SONG Kang-ho - A self-commando train robber with nine lives, Tae-goo

Tae-goo is a train robber who goes around on a scooter rather than a horse. Always at the source of trouble and dispute, he is an unpredictable die-hard self-commando with no telling what he’ll do next.

SONG has portrayed some of the most memorable characters starring in hit films like <The Foul King>, <Memories of Murder>, <The Host>, and <Secret Sunshine> and his lines often became the cant phrases in fad. SONG has always been in the films that changed the history of Korean films. No matter the role, through outstanding distinction and ‘SONG Kang-ho-ization’ acting, he has become one of the most beloved actors by moviegoers, directors, and producers alike. Now in <The Good, the Bad, the Weird>, SONG presents the world with ‘the weird’ character teeming with unparalleled individuality, ‘Tae-goo’.

Selected Filmography

2009 Evil Live (Director: PARK Chan-wook. Filming)

2007 Secret Sunshine (Director: LEE Chang-dong),

The Show Must Go on (Director HAN Jae-lim)

2006 The Host (Director: BONG Joon-ho)

2005 Antarctic Journal (Director: LIM Pil-sung)

2003 Memories of Murder (Director BONG Joon-ho)

2001 Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Director: PARK Chan-wook)

2000 The Foul King (Director: KIM Jee-woon),

JSA, Joint Security Area (Director: PARK Chan-wook))

1999 Swiri (Director: KANG Jae-kyu)

1998 The Quiet Family (Director: KIM Jee-woon)

1996 Green Fish (Director: LEE Chang-dong)

Interview with SONG Gang-ho

Tae-go is ‘the Weird’ but when I first read the script, I didn’t realize who ‘the weird’ one really was. All three of the main characters are bad with a weird side to their personalities mixed in with some good. Tae-goo’s character is like a weed. He does all kinds of things by fair means or foul in order to survive in the vast, desolate Manchurian plains in chaotic times. But he is not bleak in human nature. He has his own unique feelings and attachments to people but lives like a die-hard weed on the hit and run in order to survive. He appears comedic but he is the most miserable character out of the three. His actions are different from Do-won’s and Chang-yi’s, not typical of the western genre. While the others prepared for their action scenes prior to production, I found my own answers to ‘How did Tae-goo live and what is he like?’ and prepared that way.

LEE Byung-hun – Guns or swords, Chang-yi, the man

who wants to be the best

A cold-blooded man who kills at will with no turning back to get what he wants. His greatest desire is to be the best shooter in a duel. He is a man of great pride who would rather die than to lose.

Perhaps due to his gentle voice and wet, glistening eyes, his filmography consists mainly of love stories. However, since the film noir, <A Bittersweet Life>, Lee started to show a stronger masculine side. Even in portraying villains he stands out due to his exquisite expressions and acting. Chang-yi, a stubborn, atrocious, and cruel character who

sometimes shows a hint of madness comes alive through LEE as not just a simple villain but a strong, appealing, and charismatic character.

Selected Filmography

2009 G.I Joe (Director: Stephen Sommers, Filming)

2008 I come with the rain (Director: Anh Hung Tran, Post production)

2005 A Bittersweet Life (Director: KIM Jee-woon)

2004 Three Extremes (Director: PARK Chan-wook)

2001 Bungee Jumping of Their Own (Director: KIM Dae-seung)

2000 JSA, Joint Security Area (Director: PARK Chan-wook)

1998 The Harmonium in My Memory (Director: LEE Young-jae)

Interview with LEE Byung-hun

This is my second collaboration with director KIM Jee-woon since <A Bittersweet Life>. <The Good, the Bad, the Weird> is a more entertaining film, so I think the production as a whole was more fun this time around. If the tone of the film is serious and dark, it’s bound to be filled with suffering and agony. But the genre here calls for the viewers as well as the characters in

the film to be excited, so it was fun work. Chang-yi is the complete opposite from Tae-goo in every way. He does not make effort to survive.

For Chang-yi, living is not his main goal and death does not matter to him. All that matters is if he is the best shooter or not. Even when he fights, he does not think much about his life. The thought ‘I could die’ never crosses his mind. It was a thoroughly refreshing experience to play a villain for the first time in my long acting career. I didn’t have to think ‘the character must have his reasons for that kind of behavior.’ Rather I just had to create his walk, his manner, his

expression, his way of speech etc., and try to ‘get down to character’. Chang-yi’s cool and cold-blooded personality also comes through in his actions scenes.”

JUNG Woo-sung – An excellent shooter who does anything for money.

Do-won, a hunter after criminals for the reward

Wild beasts, wanted criminals, you name it, the ace shooter will hunt anything for money. Do-won uses a rifle and shot guns with longer range of fire and higher shot accuracy to get his game. He never gives up on a target he sets out to get.

Jung is an actor who teems with masculine beauty. He is even more superb in actions. He glides as if dancing and flows like water drawing unique lines as he gracefully moves about. Do-won from <The Good, the Bad, the Weird> is the

ultimate character in which one can show off all his masculine beauty. ‘Do-won’ races on his horse, shoots guns, and rides downhill to provide moviegoers with all the fun of watching an actor act and move about on the big screen.

Selected Filmography

2006 The Restless (Director: CHO Dong-oh)

2004 A moment to remember (Director: LEE Jae-han)

2001 The Warriors (Director: KIM Sung-soo)

1999 Phantom, the submarine (Director: MIN Byung-chun)

1998 City of the rising sun (Director: KIM Sung-soo)

1997 Beat (Director: KIM Sung-soo), Motel Cactus (Director: PARK Ki-yong)

Interview with JUNG Woo-sung

“Any actor would love a chance to work with Director KIM Jee-woon. I had my hopes, too, and wasn’t let down. He pulls out hidden talents that the actor doesn’t even know he had within him and lets him enjoy them. The movie is such an exhilarating and animated film, it was really fun working on it. Although Do-won is an ‘outlaw’ he knows he is on ‘the good’ side and has clear set standards and moves accordingly. Even in doing the action scenes, I thought ‘Why would Do-won act like this? How does he feel?’ etc. Do-won is an excellent rider and shooter so the action scenes were on a big scale. There were even some dangerous moments, but I kept on all in good fun. Different from Chang-yi who pushes himself wanting to be the best, Do-won is sure he is the best and his confidence is evident in all the actions scenes.”

Source: cjent.co.kr

Guest Janie Simply

More!

http://www.cjent.co.kr/eng/index.asp

untitled-2.jpg

Much much more!

http://www.cjent.co.kr/mail/cj_cannes2008_03/canne_2008.htm

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD

Directed by : KIM Jee-woon

Cast : SONG Kang-ho, LEE Byung-hun, JUNG Woo-sung

Genre : Period Action/Drama

Synopsis : With the Korean Peninsula under Japanese rule in 1930s, many Koreans flock to Manchuria for refuge. Some become bandits, some train robbers and yet others bounty hunters. While the Weird, a notorious train robber, is stealing from a Japanese train crossing the Manchurian plains, he discovers a treasure map. But the map is also sought after by the Bad, a merciless gang leader. Coincidentally, the Good, a bounty hunter, is on the train, and he is after the Bad. The three engage in a spectacular chase with the Japanese Army, the Korean independence fighters, and the Chinese bandits all looking to get their hands on the prized map.

goodbad.jpg

edit: Rubie, thanks for the extra goodies; Aish...I really couldn't keep up with you & Kdramafanusa :sweatingbullets:

BTW, you are famous at baidu too 'cos I saw them post your link there etc :sweatingbullets:

http://www.soompi.com/gallery/video/the_go...d_first_preview

Yes, Director Park is so generous towards his actor; Not surprising though 'cos he knows the honor of being present at this festive event :sweatingbullets: He was there for Old Boy and Berlin for Cyborg etc. Oh, so he is directing a movie called "Thirst", hmm, why the chinese translated it as "Bat" sth like that :unsure: .

Yeah.. Dir PCW is already internationally known since 2000 with the Korean blockbuster 'Joint Security Area (JSA)' which won many recognition in the world movie scene. The JSA leading cast of SKH, LBH and LYA are Dir. Park's movie "charms" as these actors had repeatedly collaborated with him since the hugely popular movie.. with continuous success.

He's directing a movie "Thirst" (starring Song Kang Ho and Shin Ha Kyun, both actors from JSA).. which is also known as "Bat" or "Live Evil".. if translated from it's Korean term "Bakjwi". The initial name was 'Live Evil', then it became 'Bat' (referring to vampires) and now.. more familiarly known for international promo as "Thirst"

We have a thread for the movie, too..

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?act...amp;pid=8942760

I agree and it's true that Dir. PCW is more flexible with the schedule as he knew how GBW would mean a lot to the actors to be there in Cannes. But can't blame the GI Joe team either.. they have a tight schedule to keep up.. any delay (especially in a foreign location) would certainly cost them lots of additional $$$. :sweatingbullets:

edit: Rubie, thanks for the extra goodies; Aish...I really couldn't keep up with you & Kdramafanusa :sweatingbullets:

BTW, you are famous at baidu too 'cos I saw them post your link there too. Let me go link it back :tongue2:

This is great.. you've got the image that I was having trouble editing. :sweatingbullets: Instead of a shortcut.. I go all the way.. and all around. :blush:

Btw.. you're the one giving me another link at CJ Ent for more GBW goodies. I just need to get that thumbnailed-poster.. in a poster size. ^^

:huh: Do the girls at Baidu know us at soompi, too? :huh::sweatingbullets: Too bad I can't read or understand Chinese although Helena did give me links of LBH threads over there.

Guest Janie Simply

Rubie, hope you could get what you want from the image as I only know photobucket :blush:

I'm sure the gals & guys fr Baidu know Soompi :D These fans are very quick at getting resources on everything LBH fr the Korean & Japanese thread; They're the friendly & lovely bunch & I did get permission from them to post articles here :sweatingbullets:

Rubie, hope you could get what you want from the image as I only know photobucket :blush:

I copied your version of the image instead that's much better than mine. :blush: Merci.

The program/software I mentioned is just simple image editing tool that we use to "lightly" edit our images. I'm no good with Photoshop or the sort, just with basic ones to make images smaller, brigther of vice-versa.

No worries at all.. as always.. I just like to ask the thread questions. If something good did come out of it.. we can all share the info, etc. But if there's no response.. then.. it'll just be some silly ramble from rubie. Hopefully with no harm done. :sweatingbullets:

I'm sure the gals & guys fr Baidu know Soompi :D These fans are very quick at getting resources on everything LBH fr the Korean & Japanese thread; They're the friendly & lovely bunch & I did get permission from them to post articles here :sweatingbullets:

That is really heartwarming to know. It's wonderfully nice that we can share info & news of LBH among fans everywhere especially when there's really not much to go about.. unlike other actors/actresses with endless news each day. LBH is really a low-profile celebrity whose work comes first to him. It's a common understanding that we can't take some media news as confirmed unless the updates have been released by his management and that is definitely not often enough.

Thanks Janice for the tidbit, really appreciate the sharing.

Guest suejinners

Ooh, thanks for all the updates everyone and the recent interview!!!

I just read @ JWS official fansite that the trio are supposed be on KBS YeonAeGa JoongGae (연예가중계) on 5/24!

and this is their official daum cafe

http://cafe.daum.net/goodbadweird

I hope this wasn't posted yet!

9802e0edddod4.jpg

^aWww.. thanks suejinners for the wonderful sharing! Whoa.. JWS sure looks awesome! :w00t:

They do have great character description for the 3 guys that really fits them, huh.. at least from the pics we've been seeing. :blush: Can't wait to watch the real action from them.. on the screen and in Cannes! :lol:

Oh.. on 5/24.. all the guys will be in Cannes for the movie Red Carpet screening. Could it be that the KBS team followed them there? :rolleyes: Awesome! (or is it the interview said to be shon on the 17th.. today?)

The cafe site for GBW is really fabulous but we most of the time would post the pics instead as none here are familiar with the language but from the gist that were translated to be shared, we knew what a cool site it is! (omg! I'm getting all tongue-tied & excited! ^^)

Guest jicks

Thanks for all the ongoing updates ^O^ It's getting so close!! All this waiting is finally coming to an end, argh >.<!!! I'm really nervous but I hope dearly that the movie is well-received at Cannes =) I so wish I was there!!

^^*DIES* That derriere is certainly looking rather nice lol XD

Thanks to cacao-lovelbh.com for the highlight at THR

Festival_de_cannes_logo.gif

May 16, 2008, 02:33 PM

Crossing borders a tough sell

"Titanic" is about to be sunk again

By Scott Roxborough and Charles Masters

CANNES -- "Titanic" is about to be sunk again -- this time by a Frenchman.

Dany Boon's soft-hearted comedy "Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis" (Welcome to the Sticks) is poised to overtake the all-time French boxoffice record of 20.7 million admissions held by James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster. Pathe is flying the cast of "Ch'tis" down to Cannes for a triumphant red-carpet run next week.

The phenomenal success underlines the power local talent can have on home turf, but also points up a paradox. Despite the occasional efforts of international film fests to give local faves more exposure, it is rare that they are turned into true international phenoms.

"Boon's a purely French phenomenon," said Pathe chief Jerome Seydoux, who added that talks are underway for a U.S. remake of the surprise hit. "Boon himself is very funny in French, but he can't act in English and if there is an adaptation to be done, he wouldn't dosaiydoux continued.

But it's not just French, or even European stars that face this "big fish, small pond" quandary. Across the globe, local superstars you've never heard of rule the roost. Only a handful -- think South Korean pop phenom Rain ("Speed Racer") or Spanish stars Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas -- ever cross the border.

Comedy -- perhaps the most untranslatable genre -- is a common thread linking these local heroes. In Germany, the movie spoofs written, directed and starring funnyman Michael "Bully" Herbig are boxoffice gold -- the first three having sold more than 20 million tickets. In Spain, Santiago Segura has set sales records with his two "Torrente" films, which feature a politically incorrect Spanish cop. The musical-action-romantic comedy extravaganzas starring Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan -- once described as the local boxoffice equivalent of Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis -- are guaranteed blockbusters in India. But none have emulated their stellar home numbers overseas.

This year's Cannes lineup also includes a few local megastars that draw nothing but blank looks abroad. Wim Wenders' In Competition title "The Palermo Shooting" stars Campino -- a stadium-packing punk rock star back in Germany who could stroll the Croisette unmolested. And Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" features Lee Byung-hun, arguably the hottest Korean actor of the moment.

While films from these local giants are unlikely to find a large international audience, the stars' regional boxoffice draw makes them attractive to Hollywood studios looking to deliver a truly global audience.

Lee Byung-hun already has been discovered by the Hollywood heavyweights, with a role in the new "G.I. Joe" film and Anh Hung Tran's Josh Hartnett starrer "I Come With the Rain." Asian boxoffice giant Chow Yun Fat was the name that helped pump up the Asian tally for "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

"Chow's involvement in 'At World's End' was an absolutely positive influence to the boxoffice results of the film," said Terry Yung of Hong Kong distributor Intercontinental. "A local star acting in a Hollywood production brings great publicity value. Not only are the local press more eager to write about the film, but audiences that usually stay away from Hollywood or foreign films are drawn to the film as well."

But for every Chow Yun Fat, Rain or Cruz, there is an army of Boons, Herbigs, Seguras and Khans that seemed destined to remain in their small, albeit well-gilded cages.

"Bully Herbig got a role in the latest Asterix film ('Asterix at the Olympic Games') but he played a mute because he's only funny in German," one Teutonic production exec said. "But what does he really care? He makes millions staying at home."

Pamela Rolfe, Karen Chu in Hong Kong, Mark Russell in Seoul and Nyay Bhushan in New Delhi contributed to this report.

Source: www.hollywoodreporter.com

Archived