[Movie 2008] The Good, The Bad, The Weird 좋은 놈, 나쁜 놈, 이상한 놈

rubie

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^For goodness sakes Song Kong Ho's such a great actor even his back seems to be speaking a story ^o^!!

LBH looks so hot w/ eye make-up on!

And JWS <3

GBW_240208_03.jpg

I could just get lost in the desert w/ him!

>>>>>> A few more pics >.< !!

GBW_240208_01.jpg

GBW_240208_02.jpg

(source: Song Kang Ho Cafe)

^ WOW!!! These are awesome, awesome cool GBW pics.. jicks! Merci!

The monochrome setting really gives out that ol' western cowboy feeling.. huh! :lol:

--

ps: btw.. is that you? :huh: Closely following The Good in the desert last year! :P

Wahhh.. not fair!!! :w00t:

De rien, my friend!

lol No (unfortunately) that's not me trying to stalk The Good in that shot- although I am probably around that size/height & yeah it's probably something I would do hahaha

Translated gist provided by kdramafanusa from article at isplus.joins.com

February 25, 2008

htm_200802250859380107000001070100-001.jpg

* HIGHEST PAID MOVIE STARS *

1. Song Kang-ho, Seol Kyeong-gu -- 500-550 million

2. Lee Byeong-heon, Jang Dong-gun, Bae Yong-joon, Jeong Woo-seong -- 500 million

3. Cha Seung-won, Jeong Jun-ho, Hwang Jeong-min, Lee Jeong-jae -- 400-500 million

4. Kwon Sang-woo, Song Seung-heon, Jo Seung-woo, Baek Yoon-shik, Jeong Jae-yeong -- 400+ million

5. Lee Young-ae, Kim Hye-soo, Jeon Do-yeon, Jang Jin-young, Jeon Ji-hyeon, Ha Ji-won -- 400 million

6. Park Hae-il, Shin Ha-gyoon, Jo In-seong, Kim Jeong-eun, Choi Ji-woo, Song Hye-kyo -- 350-400 million

7. Lee Seong-jae, Lee Na-young, Lim Soo-jung -- 300-350 million

This is the GBW clip we saw before (link to watch VOD at previous page) but with some new pics added and a background song to enjoy. :blush: The music might sound un-matched at first but it really catches on.. or not. :P

LeeKeeX.jpg

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD by LeeKeiX

youtube2.jpghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gTfJqwlDYM

Thanks to the highlight by Angel70 at lovelbh.com

Guest monoceros

unless they change the plot of the original movie, i don't think the "bad" will be a very charismatic role. In the original, the "bad" guy was not the "badass type.." he was actually just a bit of a scoundrel... while the good was more of the "badass" good guy type. but considering the fact that LBH is playing it, I'm sure it won't be a bad role...

clint eastwood was so hot as the "good"

unless they change the plot of the original movie, i don't think the "bad" will be a very charismatic role. In the original, the "bad" guy was not the "badass type.." he was actually just a bit of a scoundrel... while the good was more of the "badass" good guy type. but considering the fact that LBH is playing it, I'm sure it won't be a bad role...

clint eastwood was so hot as the "good"

Hi monoceros, welcome to GBW! Really good to read your thoughts & the previous ones about JWS, too.. appreciate the sharing. I've not seen or maybe I didn't watch too much of the original "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" to remember the details but hopefully Dir. KJW's version would be more suited for the Asian flavor.. perhaps with (slightly) different storyline.

Whether it's the good 'badass', the bad scoundrel with terrible ending or the witted weird one, the Korean actors playing the leading roles may have in them to make their respective roles their own despite being compared to the original western of the same name. Dir. Kim in his interview had also mentioned that the "men" may not represent whom they're supposed to be.

But July is still a long way, huh.. we'll have to wait and see if this really is what it's touted to be.. a cool yet blazing oriental western adventure. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Copied from koreanfilm.org, credits to Darcy Paquet

The year 2008 started with the industry still reeling from a very tough 2007. Nonetheless there was some good news early on, with two unexpected hits in January and February: Lim Soon-rye's handball drama Forever the Moment, which sold over 4 million tickets, and the low-profile thriller The Chaser, which thanks to strong word of mouth was well on its way to selling even more tickets. At the same time, Night and Day, the eighth film by Hong Sangsoo, was invited to screen in competition at the Berlin International Film Festival, where it was roundly praised by some critics, and criticized as being too long by others. Bad news awaited the film on its commercial release in Korea, though, with shockingly low box office returns.

Looking ahead, the year will see new films from several established names. Kim Jee-woon returns with his ambitious spaghetti Western The Good, the Bad, the Weird, scheduled for a July release, and Park Chan-wook's long-awaited vampire movie Thirst may be ready in time for December. Lee Yoon-ki of This Charming Girl fame will shoot a new film with acclaimed actress Jeon Do-yeon, and rising director Yu Ha is shooting an ambitious period film about a gay love triangle involving royalty (sound familiar?). Meanwhile Lee Joon-ik, director of King and the Clown, has a big-budget release lined up for summer in Sunny, about a woman who travels to Vietnam in the 1970s as a singer to entertain Korean troops fighting in the war. (written on Mar. 10)

Source: http://koreanfilm.org/kfilm08.html

• 2 weeks later...

March 20, 2008

Top stars' next work anticipated

200803201644193180ox4.jpg

Top stars including Jeon Do-yeon, Choi Min-sik, Song Kang-ho, and Seol Kyeong-gu are emerging as saviors of Korean movies. From blockbuster hits to cinematographic movies, they aim to revitalize various genres this summer.

Jeon Do-yeon, who received the Cannes Film Festival award for Best Actress for "Secret Sunshine" is working hard to finish filming "A Fine Day".

This movie is about an unemployed, single woman in her thirties who meets an ex-boyfriend and embarks on an adventure for a day.

She acts with Ha Jeong-woo, who is raising stock prices with this year's best movie, "The Chaser".

As soon as filming ends at the end of this month, they will go into the latter half of production.

Park Ji-eun, the marketing team leader of the production company said, "There isn't a definite genre and plans for marketing, but it is certain that you can see this film in theaters in the later half of the year".

Choi Min-sik is done filming "Himalaya-Where the Wind Stops".

He showed his great acting in 2004 in "Old Boy", and this is his first film in three years after "Crying Fist" in 2005.

When a Nepalese factory worker dies in an accident, Choi Min-sik's character goes to a town in the Himalayas to give his family the remains. Director Jeon Soo-il has gone to many international film festivals with movies such as "The Bird Who Stops in the Air".

Team leader Son Min-kyung of Show East, the producing company, revealed that, "Kim Hyeong-suk, who was the music director of "My Sassy Girl", is also involved. It will be premiered in the first half of this year if impossible".

Song Kang-ho, a very influential actor, will be appearing in the Western style blockbuster "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird".

It is an action movie of men who are in lawless Manchuria in the 1930s during Japanese control. It is expected to be this year's best movie, for it features other top stars such as Lee Byeong-Heon and Jeong Woo-seong.

Also, Seol Kyeong-gu will play Kang Chul-jung, and Choi Min-soo will be in "Street of Dreams", a joint production of Korea, America, and Japan.

Movie producers said, "The fact that top stars like Jeon Do-yeon and Song Kang-ho are starring means an audience of at least 1 million. There is great expectation that they will bring a new craze into the stuck movie industry.

Original article at media.daum.net

English translation by www.hancinema.net

Thanks to Ping@bhjwlove.com

Open on 2008-07-10 .(movist.com)

thumb.jpg

Clips

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?cli...mp;lu=v_srcclip

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?cli...mp;lu=v_srcclip

FLV files uploaded to sendspace.com

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rs6vwq

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ph9hiy

If still cannot view, then I will try to convert them to wmv files. :P

- a little GBW mention.. copied from the News thread -

March 26, 2008

Where are all the actresses?

There is an untimely shortage of actresses.

This year, the big successes have been movies about males, including "The Devil's Game", "The Chaser", and "Fate". Also, most upcoming movies, such as "The Guard Post", "Eye for Eye, Tooth for Tooth", "The Good, The Bad, The Weird", and "Shin gi Jun", do not have many actresses.

In the beginning of the year, "Forever the Moment" reached 4 million viewers and there was some expectation for female-centered romance movies, but with the failures of "Hellcats", "Miss Gold Digger", and "The Longest 24 Months", those hopes disappeared.

"Girls Scout", starring Kim Seon-ah and Nah Moon-hee, was set to premiere in April but the date has been postponed.

Maybe for this reason, most top movie actresses are turning their eyes to television. Moon Geun-yeong is preparing for a comeback with the drama "The Garden of Wind", and Kim Ha-neul and Song Yoon-ah, who had been mostly working in movies, are meeting viewers to SBS drama "On Air". It has been said that Song Hye-kyo and Kim Tae-hee are also looking into starring in dramas, and it is expected that male movies will continue to be popular.

Original article at news.naver.com

English translation at hancinema.net

Wow...i couldn't help it..I find Mr. Bad (Hunnie) is the most sexiest (bandit?) there.. :sweatingbullets:

Love the suit he's wearing..can't stop watching the YouTube link..thanks rubes sis!

An interview exclusively on Lee ByungHun's upcoming movies including 'The Good, The Bad and The Weird'. Related GBW mention highlighted in blue but overall, it is a very interesting interview to read. ^^

---

Our gratitude to the wonderful translation provided by ylin & Hyc at EverythingLBH based on Chinese text by Ping-bhjwlove.com from article at www.cine21.com Capture courtesy bhjwlove.com

February 13, 2008 CINE21.com interview with Lee Byung Hun

Lee Byung Hun: It's time to re-discover myself

200801firstlookqc3.jpg

Lee Byung Hun of “The Good, the Bad, the Weird”, “I Come With the Rain” and “G.I. Joe”

Lee Byung Hun is currently one of the busiest persons in the Korean film industry. 2007 was a busy year and it doesn’t seem to be any better this year. After a short rest in 2006 when “Once in a Summer” had finished filming, he started with Director Kim’s “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” at the beginning of 2007. Then in early summer, there was the collaboration with Kimura Takuya in “Hero”; he worked with Director Tran Anh Hung in “I Come with the Rain” from mid-summer to autumn, at the same time having his Japan Arena Tour concerts and also decided on the Hollywood blockbuster “G.I. Joe”.

He was on board the plane to the U.S. immediately after finished shooting his parts on the 10-month long project “The Good, the Bad, the Weird”. On 23 January, when his filming were completed for “The Good, the Bad, the Weird”, he packed his luggage at the filming site and left immediately for Incheon International Airport. To begin with, he has to go through training in the United States for “G. I. Joe” and at the same time has meetings with various parties to discuss a number of global projects which it is not the right time to disclose anything yet. He is moving slowly from “Hallyu Star” to “World Star”. Since the middle of last year, an interview with Lee Byung Hun was being planned and thanks to all that it finally happened on 20 January, just 3 days before he left the country.

Q: Since the start of filming “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” last April, physical and mental fatigue has accumulated.

A: Perhaps the busiest year. Besides filming “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” and Director Tran’s “I Come with the Rain”, I was traveling to and fro China and Hong Kong, and at the same time having the “Arena Tour” at 4 cities in Japan. The initial plan was to do it after completing both movies but things were changed due to the increase in the filming schedules.

Q: How do you take on the character at “GBW”, it is not the first time that you acted as a villain? It is not a typical type of villain but the appearance gives that impression. Is it a burden?

A: Not sure since when this ‘I will cross the bridge when I come to it’ idea has started? Before this I always consider and question various things closely when a work is decided. I have to experience many trial and errors then. By the way I thought I wasn't late even now. So I want to give myself more choice now. If in the past, when I got a difficult role or which I was not interested in I will reject it. Now I feel that I should try something new. The ‘Bad’ in GBW is the first villain role in my 17 years of acting. It is coincidental that in ‘I Come With the Rain’ I also portrayed a bad character. Storm Shadow of G. I. Joe also appears to be a villain superficially.

Q: Was the decision made after “Once in a Summer”?

A: Not because of “Once in a Summer”, the decision was made during my break after “Once in a Summer”.

Q: How did Director Kim explain the character?

A: He talked about the situation at that era. As the most important thing in Chang-yi’s(The Bad) life is the reckoning of honor and he will fight for the best till he dies.

Q: What do you think of acting the villain for the first time?

A: Very interesting, the so-called rational and sentiment are working at the same time. I did not want to maximize the emotional part. It seems that the characters in 'GBW' should not be restricted to distinctive and natural performance only. It needs a little excessive and more expressive style, but must be exactly in line with the director’s requirements. So it is necessary to do correct and rational judgment. Just like when I did my first album recording, as I tried out every expression. When checking the performance from the monitor I can see facial expressions that I did not expect and felt that I can hate that feeling, really like a bad guy. Anyway, this is how I feel about the movie; it is full of fun.

Q: This is the role of a villain, do you have that feeling?

A: Because this is a villain role, I am already feeling part of it. There might be actions that are not the director’s requirement, or my pre-set performance. When seen at the monitor it turns out to be the all conceivable action. It is exhilarating feeling.

Q: According to the staff they also said it looks like a villain role.

A: Yesterday during photography, the director had also said that. There are two close-up shots of me smoking. First one is in the train, very cool. In the latter part, similar scene appears with very evil facial expression and sinister gaze. If comparing the two scenes, I do not seem to be acting coherently. But the director said, "The change is according to his reaction to the situation, not the change of character in the role."

Q: Was there a lot of thing to learn in order to prepare for “The Good, the Bad and the Weird” You have to learn how to ride a horse for the first time?

A: There were many things to learn. Unfortunately on the evening before my first horse-riding lesson, I missed my steps at home, fell and fractured my ankle and was taken to the hospital. It was a happy thing that I got to play “Lost Planet” the computer game which I have endorsed while recuperating at home. While the whole crew was busy preparing, I decided to tone up my muscles. The character is someone with large muscles? The character is someone who is very muscular and will give people the feeling of wickedness with just plain clothes. Hence, I got a trainer to help me when my leg was still in cast. The trainer required me to be sensitive and it was really hellish training.

Q: Many people were concerned with the issue that Jung Woo Sung and Song Kang Ho are friendly people. If everyone put in their utmost effort in their characters, won’t there be competition?

A: Don’t think so, there was no competition. Everyone knew the fact that all are very unique and excellent actors with a lot of acting experience. Everyone is conscious of the challenge and doing the best.

Q: How did the proposal to act with Kimura Takuya in “Hero” come about?

A: I was invited to a cameo role in “Hero” as I knew Kimura Takuya’s manager. I felt sorry as I had rejected a few invitations to SMAPXSMAP and therefore decided to take up the offer as I thought that it was nothing wrong to take part in the movie.

Q: Let’s talk about Director Tran Anh Hung’s “I come with the Rain”, how did it came about?

A: The Good, the Bad & the Weird was decided first. In 2006, we met when the director visited Korea. He said he liked the novel “His Son” and was planning to produce a movie based on it. I like the novel when I read it in my first year of university and was hoping to have a chance to act in a movie based on the story. I started to panic when I got the scripts later. As expected, it is not easy because it is an art movie (laugh).

Q: Why did you decide to do it since it is difficult?

A: Although there were some parts that I could not understand, I accepted the character and tried to comprehend it. I am thinking what kind of thing would I get from the director’s movie world? And also anticipating what I would be able to feel myself. I feel the challenge in playing this villain role. I want to try finding those things which I don’t understand when I was young.

Q: Why did the director choose you?

A: He said it started when he watched “A Bittersweet Life”, that captivated expression, exquisite emotion is not easily found in Asian actors…It could be that the role is a Hong Kong organization boss which is similar to “A Bittersweet Life” (Laugh)

Q: What type of story is “I come with the Rain”?

A: It is too complicated to explain clearly and I can’t reveal the production matter. To make it simple, the main character Kline became a detective after he was forced to leave the police force, went to Hong Kong in search of the missing son of a Chinese man from San Francisco. He was in contact with a Hong Kong police who helped him to secure some criminal information; Su Don Po is a gang leader, someone who is cold and heartless. On one fine day, Su met Shitao (Kimura Takuya) while he was looking for Lily, the woman who lives with him.

Q: Concurrently filming “The Good, the Bad and the Weird”, is the work load heavy?

A: About 15 times shooting. It was initially said to be twice only but in the end I was in Hong Kong for 5 or 6 times. Nevertheless, come to think about it, if only travelling between China and Hong Kong is just like travelling between Seoul and Jeju. But it actually took 13 hours per trip. Shooting location of GBW is in other cities. When I need to travel from the filming site of GBW to Hong Kong, I need to fly to Shanghai or Beijing first for my connecting flight to Hong Kong. And taking the flight so frequently that I feel like I am a pilot. (Laugh)

Q: It is in a foreign country with an art film director, is there any difference in the on-site atmosphere?

A: Yes, very different. The deepest impression is that there is a detail filming schedule and reporting time of actors for the next month to ensure the smooth running of the system. During shooting, there was some rain too. Of course this is the unique style of the producer, putting the busiest actors together. The most difficult thing is the love scene with Lily. She is the actress of Cyclo and Green Papaya and also the director’s wife. I felt embarrassed when the director is just beside us watching while he said “a bit more, add some more…” (Laugh)

Q: The deal for Josh Hartnett as the main cast is special. As a Korean Top Actor, do you feel inferior?

A: Maybe there is such a feeling at times, but is it necessary? Because he is affable like a friend, when the first time I went to Hong Kong for photography, Josh Hartnett took the initiative to greet me happily. It seems that this person had just watched "Bitter Sweet Life" DVD in the car. We cordially discussed about the remake of "Bitter Sweet Life" in US. Because this is the first time to use English during filming I was worried. But I think it’s all the same when come to expressing human feelings.

Q: How is the proposal to go into G. I. Joe being done? Accept the script first?

A: My management company BH Entertainment overseas marketing manager Charles had been discussing with my US agent about the works for several years. "G. I. Joe" was proposed last year. I feel that it has attraction. After getting the main idea I decided. The script was sent after a period of time. It seems that Hollywood fanatics hid near the studio and stole the computer. They even rummaged around the rubbish bins in the building to find the script. A lot of precautions were taken to prevent the script from being revealed. The script given to me was accompanied with “Do not copy” written in red letters.

Q: Based on what conditions you responded to the performance proposal?

A: To tell the truth, at first the negative reaction was about 60 %. The worrying part was that it is a high standard blockbuster movie with big production cost, anticipated by men and women of all ages. But if I don't do it, I might come to regret it. And when I asked everyone who always gives advice, all said that I should give it a try since I am given the chance.

Director Park Chan Wook also said to me, "It is fitting to do it."

Q: G. I. Joe is a famous cartoon in the United States. Is the setting of the movie same as the comic?

A: G. I. Joe is created from the beginning as toys and then made into cartoon series, and American soldiers are the main character originally. In Korea G.I Joe was introduced too, known as “G. I. Guerrilla army” (not sure if this is the correct term). Movie version of 'G. I. Joe’ is the story of G.I. Joe team against the evil Cobra force. They are international organizations which gathered members from various nations.

Basically it depicts a confrontation between them. Due to the request for security need from Hollywood side, I can’t disclose more.

Q: What type of character is Storm Shadow portrayed by you?

A: As a child Storm Shadow got ninja training from a master who was like a father to him. He was given ninja education together with a western child Snake Eyes. Although they compete with each other their relationship is like brothers. But one day their mentor was mysteriously murdered and Storm Shadow disappeared. Since then, the two destined to be arch-rivals. I heard that these two characters are most popular among the cartoon enthusiasts. Both have strong combat power and are mysterious figures.

Q: There is heated discussion in the Internet about Lee Byung Hun portraying a Japanese ninja.

A: When the casting is proposed my condition is that Storm Shadow should be Korean. Westerners are not able to distinguish nationality of Asians.

Moreover, the Japanese market is big and there are lots of Japanese characters. Anyway, my viewpoint is of course to establish the Korean set up, and the production side has readily accepted it.

Q: Would there be a lot of action scenes?

A: If talking about action scene, I would rather say it emphasizes more on big scale action than the number of scenes. When I was first cast in the story, I already said I am not Jackie Chan or Jet Lee. I absolutely cannot do that type of martial arts. The production side is aware of that too.

Q: Still basic training is necessary.

A: G.I. Joe will start shooting in March till June. I am going to the States now for one and a half month training.

Q: There seem to be several overseas projects at the same time. So the burden has increased?

A: G.I. Joe is different from Director Tran Anh Hung’s movie. My thought is to do different type of movies. I am thinking isn’t it time to find myself again? So I try out everything. Of course, when I have decided to appear in G.I. Joe, my view has expanded. From a different viewpoint, I think it's really useful for personal development with directors who have different ideas and style.

Q: Do you intend to move your work station to Hollywood or overseas?

A: No, my work in Korea still has not changed. If there is a chance of encountering excellent director, it doesn’t matter whether it is Hollywood or foreign countries, and certainly immaterial where and what to do there.

Q: I heard that all these overseas projects started from “A Bitter Sweet Life”.

A: I feel that it is fated for me to meet Dir. Kim Jee Woon. Because of this encounter there are lots of changes and I am grateful to him.

Q: Would you feel lonely working in Hollywood?

A: A director (sorry, not sure of the name) said not to have such thought. Even so, take it as a form of self-training.

Q: As Korea’s top star, you might not be recognized as such in US. Are you prepared for it?

A: Basically I am prepared for it in my heart. There might be friends who don’t really understand me, and not getting the best reception? I am thinking essentially this is the part that I have to submit to.

Q: How you became TV game “LOST PLANET” figure?

A: The game is the type that I like - must be the adventure game. I am no good in playing ball games, like “winning eleven”, I don’t play, because (laughter)the game that I especially like is biochemical crisis. It’s fun to be the model of the game and playing it as a fan. And it is very interesting to manipulate and control myself while developing the game. The photography took two days and not that simple as imagined. I sat before the pre-made machine making angry expression, happy face, and occasionally had NGs (laughter). After that the computer automatically processed them into three-dimensional images. It is a very interesting experience.

Thanks to kdramafanusa at the News thread for the highlight

April 10, 2008

Movie industry struggling with slowdown

"The Chaser (Chugyeokja)," a Korean thriller directed by Na Hong-jin, has turned out to be a surprising hit in the slump-laden local film industry in the first quarter. Released on Feb. 14, it is still showing strong performances at the box office, outsmarting other Korean and foreign competitors.

If the current trend continues, the ticket sales of the thriller is now expected to reach the 5-million landmark soon, possibly emerging as the most successful Korean film in the first half of 2008.

The trailblazing success of "The Chaser" at the box office reflects the dearth of successful Korean flicks. Even foreign films are not faring so well, with Hollywood blockbusters mysteriously absent in the box office slots.

200804090014gd6.gif

The problem with the film lineup in April has been compounded by the current downturn hitting local productions and distributors hard. Discouraged by the poor showings of major Korean films last year, production houses are delaying the release dates of some of the most promising movies like "Modern Boy" until the second half of this year. Director Jung Ji-woo's "Modern Boy" features top-notch actors Park Hae-il and Kim Hye-soo in a retro style story set in the vibrant 1930s. A series of promotional materials touting the movie's delicate depiction of cafes, coffee shops, and department stores in that era have been distributed, but the film's production house decided to put off the release.

"The Good, The Bad, The Weird," a big-budget Korean film that unfolds in Manchuria, is also unlikely to greet local moviegoers any time soon. Well-known Korean Wave stars Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho and Jung Woo-sung play exotic roles -- a bandit, a train robber and a bounty hunter -- and expectations were rising high. But producers experienced cold feet about the negative sentiment in the film industry, rescheduling its release date to the second half.

The delays suggest that local production houses sponsoring big-budget projects are reluctant to stage a direct showdown with Hollywood blockbusters in the May-July period. At the same time, investors are highly cautious about Korean films, citing the frequent commercial failures and cutting off the much-needed funds for new projects. To reduce risks and stay afloat, production houses are taking all the steps necessary to turn a profit, leading to the lack of new releases in recent months.

On the weekend, Korean filmmaker Gong Su-chang's thriller "GP506" secured the top position at the box office, selling 190,000 tickets. Trailing behind were "Three Kingdoms," a Korea-China joint project that drew in 170,000 moviegoers. Even considering the slump, it is unusual when box-office leaders fall short of taking in less than 200,000 viewers.

This week, Korean-American director Lee Jie-ho's debut feature "The Air I Breathe" is hitting theaters featuring a high-profile American cast, including Brendan Fraser and Andy Garcia, in an labyrinthine tale. But this movie is unlikely to infuse a momentum to a box office stuck with slow ticket sales and an absence of major hits.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source: Korea Herald

• 2 weeks later...

The Cannes confirmation list hasn't come out yet.. though it should be anytime soon.

Thanks to the highlight by cacao at lovelbh.com

---

Thursday, April 10, 2008 EDT

Cannes 2008: Main Competition Predictions

By Eric Lavallee

It's that time of year again.

The most prestigious of film festivals is getting set for the final set list for the 61st edition. With an added one week delay, the announcement will now be made on the 23rd, I have a feeling that producers and studios are having a successful time at pleading their cases for a spot among the 24 or so selected pictures to be featured in the main competition category. As unfinished film reels and frantic filmmakers are pleading their cases and making last ditch efforts to Gilles Jacob, Catherine Démier and Thierry Frémaux, I'm commencing my anticipation for what might be among my daily grind for the 12 days I'll be at the fest.

Many of my predictions have been highlighted/mentioned in the trades (both Screen Daily and The Hollywood Reporter have been taking stabs at the potential line-up throwing credible names into the hat) . One thing is for sure: there will be lots of Spanish-speaking fair in the 61st edition and I imagine the French-speaking film grouping will populate the Un Certain Regard section. Before I start discussing the 24 possible selections, I'll check mark the films that are assured a presence as out-of-competition selections and make a shortlist for the midnight screenings.

After being gobbled up by parent co. WB and before they put up the closed for business sign, New Line will bid farewell with Sex and the City: The Movie. The worst kept secret is the showcasing of Spielberg's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The third film could be a doc with controversial Religulous or Agnes Varda 's Les Plages d'Agnes might get a special showcase. My far-fetch choice would be 20th Century showing up with the shrouded in secrecy The X-Files 2.

The Midnight section usually consists of a trio of films - and I've outlined a half dozen that might take the conveted three spots. Cannes fav Wong Kar-wai could use the mini section to re-introduce his re-worked Ashes of Time Redux and a pair of Asian films in Tran Anh Hung's I Come with the Rain, with Josh Harnett playing a detective in a foreign country or Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata could steal a spot. Michael Winterbottom might make the trip again this year with his ghost tale set in Italy (Genova) but perhaps the best bet for the category is South Korea's Kim Jee-woon picture: The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.

To read full list of prediction at

http://www.ioncinema.com/news.php?nid=2080

Wonder if GBW had some editing trouble? :unsure:

---

Friday, 18 April 2008

Cannes selection headed for slim Asian presence

Written by Todd McCarthy

It's down to the wire for the Cannes Film Festival. With just five days left before fest topper Thierry Fremaux is due to announce the lineup for the May 14-28 event, much uncertainly surrounds the competition titles, as the availability of some films and the completion status of others remains in question. The field from Asia looks very thin this year. One of the very few contenders will be Cambodian helmer Rithy Panh's "Un Barrage contre le Pacifique" (The Sea Wall), a part-French-financed family drama starring Isabelle Huppert and based on Marguerite Duras' novel, previously filmed in 1958 by Rene Clement as "This Angry Age."

The status of the films of several other big-name directors is uncertain going into the final weekend before the lineup's announcement. The fest selection committee has yet to see Theo Angelopoulos' "The Dust of Time," with Willem Dafoe, Harvey Keitel and Alexandra Maria Lara; Jia Zhangke's "Ciqing Shidai" (The Age of Tattoo); and South Korean helmer Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, the Bad, the Weird." The status of Walter Salles' "Linha de Passe" is also unclear.

There are certain other films that look to end up on the Croisette but in as-yet-undetermined berths -- possibly in competition, Un Certain Regard or special screenings: Abbas Kiarostami's experimental "Shirin," which consists of shots of women watching a movie; Vietnamese director Tran Anh Hung's "I Come With the Rain," with Josh Hartnett as an American private investigator in Hong Kong; two films from Italy, Marco Tullio Giordana's "Sangue Pazzo" (Crazy Blood) and Paolo Sorrentino's "Il Divo"; Mexican director Amat Escalante's U.S.-lensed "Los Bastardos"; Lisandro Alonso's "Liverpool" from Argentina; Atom Egoyan's latest, "Adoration," toplining Scott Speedman and Rachel Blanchard; Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Tokyo Sonata"; Singaporean helmer Eric Khoo's "My Magic"; Icelandic auteur Baltasar Kormakur's "White Night Wedding"; and a new Polish film from vet Jerzy Skolimowski, his first feature since 1991.

Set for special screenings in the Official Selection are James Toback's "Tyson," an up-close "encounter" with the boxer; Emir Kusturica's docu about soccer star Diego Maradona; and Marina Zenovich's Sundance docu fave "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" in its European preem.

Also on the way is "Tokyo!," a trio of tales set in the Japanese capital and directed by Bong Joon-ho ("The Host"), Michel Gondry and Leos Carax.

One certainty is that the Hollywood presence will be significantly reduced from 2007, when "No Country for Old Men," "Zodiac," "Paranoid Park" and "Death Proof" flew the American flag in a banner year. At the moment, the only firm Yank competition entry is Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut, "Synecdoche, New York," in which Philip Seymour Hoffman plays a theater director.

Joining the previously announced "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" in a special noncompeting premiere slot will be DreamWorks Animation's "Kung Fu Panda," starring Jack Black and directed by Mark Osborne and John Stevenson. FIlm bows May 15. Jeffrey Katzenberg has often unveiled his most prestigious animation titles in Cannes.

Unlike last year, when so many top directors had films in Cannes, the timing of the production cycle seems not to be working entirely to the festival's benefit, at least where major American filmmakers are concerned. Very few Hollywood films due to be released over the next four months would seem remotely appropriate for a major artistic fest, and there are always further issues concerning European release dates.

Thinned Yank ranks notwithstanding, the greatest publicity of the fest will be generated by Americans when Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Shia LaBeouf, Karen Allen and Aussie co-star Cate Blanchett hit the red carpet at the long-anticipated world preem of the "Indiana Jones" sequel on May 18.

Hollywood will also be repped on closing night with Barry Levinson's "What Just Happened," an industry insider tale starring Robert De Niro that preemed at Sundance and has now been trimmed by eight minutes. Final night viewers will have the unusual sensation of sitting in the Palais du Festival and watching the picture's climactic scene, which is set during a film's premiere at the Palais but was shot, with reasonable verisimilitude, in a school auditorium in Northridge, Calif.

It was long hoped that Cannes vet Steven Soderbergh's Che Guevara double bill, "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla," would premiere on the Croisette, but it seems that the director, who has wanted either both or neither of the films to play the fest, won't be able to finish the four-hour-plus opus by deadline. Evidently, Soderbergh has essentially finished the second film but, despite non-stop work in recent weeks, hasn't quite gotten the first half of the Benicio Del Toro starrer where he wants it.

Given that Fremaux is reducing the number of competition slots from 23 last year to about 18 this time, he may have the flexibility to keep the door open to Soderbergh if, at the last minute, the director decides he's ready to present his films to the public. A double translating job -- Spanish-language pics will require both English and French subtitles -- could prove a further complication.

Woody Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" was also widely expected to make its international splash in Cannes, but evidently, ties between the film's Spanish financiers and the San Sebastian Film Festival dictate that the preem will be held at the Spanish fest in the fall.

On the other hand, numerous familiar names will be on hand with new works. The Dardenne brothers from Belgium will try for an unprecedented third Palme d'Or with "The Silence of Lorna." Another previous Palme winner, Wim Wenders, will be back with the meller "The Palermo Shooting," which stars Milla Jovovich, Dennis Hopper and Giovanna Mezzogiorno. Brazilian helmer Fernando Meirelles looks like a lock with the drama "Blindness," toplining Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Alice Braga.

Turkish auteur Nuri Bilge Ceylan returns with "Daydreams," and Italy will be repped in the competition by Matteo Garrone's crime drama "Gomorra." An unusual entry is Ari Folman's "Waltz With Bashir," an animated feature from Israel. Hungary's Kornel Mundruczo will weigh in with the family drama "Delta." The French competition titles are always the last to be decided, but two to be counted on are Arnaud Desplechin's "Un Conte de Noel" with Mathieu Amalric, Catherine Deneuve and Chiara Mastroianni, and Philippe Garrel's "La Frontiere de l'aube."

Source: Variety Asia Online

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5936/

Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Kim named most powerful in Korea

Written by Han Sunhee

SEOUL---CJ Entertainment prexy Kim Joo-sung has been named as the most influential figure in the Korean film industry for the first time. Kim topped the 13th annual "Power 50" list published in the recent edition of film weekly magazine Cine21, which is voted for by 85 leading film industry personalities and observers. Previously in second place, he swaps places with Tcha Seung-jai of Sidus.

CJ Entertainment headed by Kim is taking the most critical role as the key investor and distributor in industry that is struggling this year. CJ Entertainment currently manages numerous biggest budget titles which will be released 2008, including "The Good, the Bad and the Weird", "Modern Boy" "The Divine Weapon" "Kang Chul-joong" and "Thirst".

Slipping to No.2 was producer Tcha Seung-jai of Sidus FNH, who previously topped in two consecutive years on the list. Unchanged in the ranks were Cinema Service founder and "Kang Chul-joong" helmer Kang Woo-suk was at No. 3, followed by Mediaplex CEO Kim Woo-taek at No.4; with helmer Bong Joon-ho at No. 5.

Rounding out the top 10 were MK Pictures producer Shim Jae-myung, Lotte Entertainment CEO Kim Kwang-seop, actor Song Kang-ho ("The Host"), helmer Park Chan-wook and Yoo In-chon, the former actor and newly inaugurated Minister of culture, sports and tourism as the first time entry at No.10

Among the actors and actresses on the list, Cannes winner Jeon Do-yeon was ranked at 17, Jang Dong-geun (upcoming in "Laundry Warrior") at 23, Lee Byung-hun ( upcoming in Paramount's "G.I. Joe") at 49. Korean Wave superstar Rain (a.k.a. Jeong Ji-hoon, "I'm a Cyborg, but that's O.K." "Speed Racer" ) also entered the list for the first time at 36.

Helmers included Kim Ji-woon ("The Good, the Bad and the Weird") at No.12, Lee Joon-ik ("Sunny") at No.14, Choi Dong-hoon ("Tazza") at 29.

Source: Variety Asia Online

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5953/53/

Previous related articles

2007 Most Important Figures in Korea Film Industry

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...868&st=2860

Tcha tops Korea power list again

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...868&st=2880

April 22, 2008

Cine 21 Names CJ’s KIM Joo-sung Most Influential

Local film weekly magazine, Cine 21, provided its annual list of the most powerful players in the Korean film industry, with CJ Entertainment president KIM Joo-sung at the top for the first time. With the industry taking a downturn last year, CJ Ent. has grown to become the key investor and distributor for many of the biggest projects expected out this year, including Modern Boy and The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

In second place was CHOI Sung-jae of SIDUS FNH, switching from the top spot last year and the year before. In third was Cinema Service founder and director KANG Woo-suk, (Silmido, Hanbando, and the upcoming Kang Chul-joon). Mediaplex CEO KIM woo-taek came in fourth while The Host helmer BONG Joon-ho was in fifth place.

The ranking are voted on by 85 leading film industry representatives. Other notables included MK Pictures producer SHIM Jae-myung at no.6, Lotte Entertainment CEO KIM Kwang-seop at 7, top Korean actor SONG Kang-ho at 8 and director PARK Chan-wook, currently shooting his latest film “Thirst” with SONG at no. 9. International superstar RAIN (JUNG Ji-hoon) entered the list for the first time at no. 36.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=968

Archived