Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest smoothieex3

ok i have 3 questions

1. what excercise should i do to make my range higher? also, how long should that take?

2. i read about how if your throat hurts after singing 10 minutes, you're singing incorrectly. my throat doesnt hurt, but my voice gets crackly after maybe 5 minutes. am i singing incorrectly there too?

3. how loud should your belting be?

Guest `faded

1. piano scale like exercises are fine if you know piano..if not make some =) there are books in music stores which teaches you the different exercises..it depends on the person and how long this will take...

2. your throat cackles because your voice is changing so when you sing that note you have 2 different sounds coming out..I suggest you try and tackle the higher sound of that cackling..=D..that's better for your voice..don't think too much of it..it's ok if you cackle.

3. don't belt and make your throat all sore..use your diaphragm to help you belt it out..and always breath with your stomach..if you find that your throat is sore..stop..that means you're using your throat more than your head and diaphragm..everything about your voice has to connect..from your throat to your vocal cords and your head voice and your diaphragm..all these have to work like a cycle in order for your voice to really come out

Guest sikkony

ok i have 3 questions

1. what excercise should i do to make my range higher? also, how long should that take?

2. i read about how if your throat hurts after singing 10 minutes, you're singing incorrectly. my throat doesnt hurt, but my voice gets crackly after maybe 5 minutes. am i singing incorrectly there too?

3. how loud should your belting be?

1. It's not the exercises you do, but exactly how you do them that makes your range higher. You could pull chest for 1 year and gain probably 1 note, but you could practice correctly and gain 1 octave.

2. Actually I saw that post too. Your voice shouldn't EVER hurt, even after hitting massive high notes for 1 hour long etc.

If your voice starts to have 'rattling' or excess 'noise' from the pure tone you are meant to develop, then there is something wrong.

3. You never belt. Singers don't belt (well most). It's just when they start singing in a full mixed voice the volume becomes louder automatically, to sustain the full voice-ness. To the untrained ear, the audience goes "WOW this guy has huge CHESTVOICE, what a belt!". Infact, what was meant to be said was, "WOW, this person has a good balanced mixed voice, what a note!".

i need some help with low notes..my voice is naturally freakishly low already (people say I sound 30 y/o man but i'm 15, lol) yet i can't hit low notes..am I doing something wrong? i mean i can just out of nowhere sing a note that is lower than the note in a certain song, yet when i start singing the song i can't hit the note. *tear

Guest sikkony

i need some help with low notes..my voice is naturally freakishly low already (people say I sound 30 y/o man but i'm 15, lol) yet i can't hit low notes..am I doing something wrong? i mean i can just out of nowhere sing a note that is lower than the note in a certain song, yet when i start singing the song i can't hit the note. *tear

My guess would be, when you are singing you are raising your larynx to attain a more brighter tone. While this is possible, this can also lead to unnecessary contrictions sometimes, depends on how much you physically change the vocal tract.

If you don't understand what I just said, then an easier way to tell you to fix it is, try not to sing as "bright" as you usually do. Are you Korean? If so maybe you know the singers in SG Wannabe, DongHae and Kinnho (middle and right hand side singer respectively). DongHae is "brighter" in tone compared to Kinnho.

How low are low notes? C3 (1 octave below middle C, C4) and under?

That's my guess though, I'm not sure exactly what you are doing wrong. Post a clip and maybe we all can help better since words doesn't say much in describing singing problems. Try what I said first, see if it helps. Could be other problems though.

Guest xxzone2zonexx

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows whether an empty stomach effects your singing?.. cause I tend to sing better after ive eaten something...? also can some one explain the concept on using your diaphragm?...THanks for the help..:D

Guest sikkony

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows whether an empty stomach effects your singing?.. cause I tend to sing better after ive eaten something...? also can some one explain the concept on using your diaphragm?...THanks for the help..:D

Just sing whenever you feel comfortable I would say. Like when you play sports, do you feel the best when you are full and go play soccer? Most likely no haha.

You can prolly gain some info from scrolling some pages back or so, there should be some info on support there. If you don't get it, I can write a bit more on it and how to exactly gain breathe support (or at least try to haha). Breathe support should be automatic when you have correct singing technique, as everything ties together. But I know some vocal students manually breathe support.

Guest ill3stbabyy

a few days ago i was singing for about 2 hours straight..i had water and everything but my voice started carcking up but i continued to sing anyways and now when i try to sing my throat becomes sore and its all wavery : S did i damage my vocal cords and if so how long should i wait for them to heal before singing again? thanks : )

Guest sikkony

a few days ago i was singing for about 2 hours straight..i had water and everything but my voice started carcking up but i continued to sing anyways and now when i try to sing my throat becomes sore and its all wavery : S did i damage my vocal cords and if so how long should i wait for them to heal before singing again? thanks : )

Should only be temporary. They should heal in about a days time I would say (after 1 night full sleep).

You should definitely wait for them to heal before singing. If you are singing and finding pain/soreness, you have to review how you're singing, as there should be something wrong.

Guest ill3stbabyy

^okay thanks : ) my throat doesnt hurt anymore because i've been drinking tea and i guessed that helped.

yea i realised that i kind of force my voice to the extreme but i really want to improve before the sm audition : /

When I sing, i sound.. uhmm, 코소리나. (i don't know the word in english, but i sound "nosy"?) Oh, like my voice isn't very strong, what can i do to "fix" that? Is it because (ok im going to sound stupid) I'm 13, and my voice hasnt fully matured or something? >.<

^your voice is definetly still maturing..you have a long way to go..your voice will always change no matter what..but right now at your age your voice is maturing still..wait till you're about 15 or 16 then the changing of your voice will slow down..

as for your voice not being strong enough...try breathing with your stomach instead and do singing exercises with that..it will get stronger in due time..

Guest cindy-yang

i have a question

lol will i bet that this has been asked a BILLION time but how do i get better at sining? i think that i really SUCK (sorry for the language) now cause the last time i sung was in 6th grade which was about 4 years ago>< my choir teacher thought i was good or something cause she put me in the womens choir(we would go around and compete with other schools) but now i SUCK (sorry for the language) my sister and brother even tells me that. is there a way that i could reach higher notes for the songs and just get better i know PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE but i forgot warm ups and all of that and i dont even now what note i can go up to>< lol i woke up today and started singing and ohh bot my voice was like o_0

HELP PLEASE?

sorry if i dont make since

If you wanted to do warm ups, you can do the typical do-re-me exercises. My teacher used to have us go: do, do re do, do re me re do, do re me fa me re do, etc. until we reached up to high do. Then we'd return going down; do, do ti do, do ti la ti do, do ti la so la ti do, etc. x:

Has anyone ever done the 'momma made me mash my m&m's,' one before? I thought of that after reflecting back on my chorus days. That one was so cute. T_T haha sorry. random. x:

Try breathing exercises to help improve your breathing so you can support your notes more? x:

Your effort shows your will. I hope you can improve. (:<3