Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest sikkony

2 QUESTIONS~

1. I think I'm tone deaf? I used to be really horrible in singing because I just don't sing at all, so whenever I try to just sing a simple line it'll go all pitchy and stuff. Now it's slighttly better because I've been singing and practicing. But I can't sing with music, at all. NUH UH. If I sing with music I'd be REALLY REALLY off-pitch. Is this fixable by practicing? TT_TT.

2. I don't know why but everytime I sing, a different voice comes out. How do I distinguish my "real" singing voice? Because sometimes it's husky/low/chest voice/sorta-like-how-i-talk (pitchy) but when I try to sing with a higher pitch (slightly above average), a totally different voice is produce and it's less pitchy and sounds clearer/smoother/crisper? Help? It's not about hitting lower/higher notes, it's the pitch of my voice? TT_TT. I'd like the lower pitch but then it's really really really really really pitchy. eh, it sounds like I just answered my own question. O_O.

Sorry mods! I'm going to do a double post :P More easier to read :P

1. I believe it all comes to practice. I've noticed something unique, not sure on the validity though. I noticed those who don't play a musical instrument or have any background in music whatsoever, seem to sing with pitch problems which of course, can be corrected!

Now I'm not a singing teacher, nor have I seen anyone have that problem being dealt with. So if I was to have such a problem I would address this issue by keeping a tape-recorder or if your comp does you good, next to you. Always record. Always playback. Listen, and correct. That's the only way I would approach this problem. It also depends on what you're practicing on. Make yourself excercises, that are suitable.

When you sing, do you hear yourself as pitchy or only when you are playing your recording back?

2. This question gets asked a lot. In my heart, I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer here. Whatever your style is, however you choose to convey yourself while singing is totally your choice. Just as long as you aren't doing anything wrong (ie, singing incorrectly), then any approach to singing should be all good. I think when people grow up, people shape themselves when singing to that of their favourite genre, or to their favourite artist. So I believe if the same person came from two absolute different singing background, ie pop v.s classical, they would sound totally different.

Look at Anjo, I remembered last time he had a 'pop'ish' voice, now he's all 'musically' sounding. Besides that, he's an excellent example of good singing technique in my eyes.

EDIT:

If it hurts to sing for more then 10 minutes, you're probably using your throat. Slightly different time for everyone, but you get the point.

Uhm, I have no microphones in my house, so I use my digital camera's camcording ability to record myself. The problem is, it absolutely sucks. It picks up every unnecessary noise so my voice sounds... just weird! It sounds echoey, static-y, you name it! I was trying really hard to get rid of it and produce something near to what my voice really sounds like. Playing around with Goldwave, I found that nothing really helped bring out my real voice. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Or even better: can anyone recommend me a good microphone, please???

Oh yeh, when singing correctly it should never hurt your voice.

Depends what mic you want. If you're just going to train and do small projects for fun, just get something modest, like that Behringer XMS something number eight. lol, it's the one Sou uses apparently. It's cheap, robust and good enough for training. If you were going to get something huge, you'd prolly need other stuff too (amplifiers etc).

Guest crazii_<33_yu

a tiny tiny question...i think o.o, i had people listen to my singing and they all said that i was off pitch and some said that i need to try and not move from one note to another fast and to also work on my high notes..is it possible, if i really try really hard, that i can improved within 1 month? my mom said that it'll take at least 1-2 years before sounding great >< (:<3

^ depends on how good you want to sound but it's kind of hard for that to happen unless you practice really really hard.

some tips: you might want to practice with a piano for the pitch problems. start with the basics of memorizing a few notes and playing a few songs. it'll probably be a bit easier knowing what note you're supposed to sing and stuff.

Guest `faded

well of course you need tons of practice and technique =P LOL..you can just GO LOW O_O hahaha..It takes lots of time =)..Actually going higher is easier than going lower in my opinion but you can still stretch out your lower vocal cords with technique and with practice..technique isn't just through practice..it's through lessons and having a good teacher as well =)

Guest the.elephant

what kind of microphones do you guys use??

what kind do you recommend??

im just in a normal room not a studio or anything special... i tried using my webcam microphone and it was horrible... all the high notes were scratchy

and im not a "pro" singer like some people here with equipments and softwares but i want a decent mic with good quality for me to record for fun and to share with others

my budget is around 50 dollars??? is that too little?? i googled "good mic" and they were like 100 + dollars and i dont want to spend that much

thanks

Guest 보석미남

When you sing, do you hear yourself as pitchy or only when you are playing your recording back?

I think someone was explaining about this a few pages back? Anyway, when I sing I sound good but when I listen to what I've recorded it sounds like crap.

Guest sikkony

I think someone was explaining about this a few pages back? Anyway, when I sing I sound good but when I listen to what I've recorded it sounds like crap.

Ah this is natural. What you hear internally isn't what the audience hears. Don't base your singing on what you hear internally, instead you should base it on the experience of what you hear when you sound to the audience.

Guest crazii_<33_yu

what kind of microphones do you guys use??

what kind do you recommend??

im just in a normal room not a studio or anything special... i tried using my webcam microphone and it was horrible... all the high notes were scratchy

and im not a "pro" singer like some people here with equipments and softwares but i want a decent mic with good quality for me to record for fun and to share with others

my budget is around 50 dollars??? is that too little?? i googled "good mic" and they were like 100 + dollars and i dont want to spend that much

thanks

^^ that's what's bugging me too(: cause recently i recorded and posted my singing up..and the commentors said that the mic quality isn't so good(:<3

a 35 buck mic will do fine, it all comes down to the mixing and recording anyways... i use a 25 dollar mic and it sounds nice.

if the mic is not so good, soime times you will have to record closer or futher away and know which note or pitch to turn in or away from the mic... it all comes to experimenting and time

also the mixing helps a lot, so use that EQ peopl!

finally webcam and computer mic are a no no

I use like one of the big nonos. Headphone mics xD

It's all flimsy and I don't even know if it's cheap =/ Eh...turns out fine rofl.

Guest sikkony

How do you guys get rid of congestion. I'm using flonase for the little allergies i have but sometimes it comes back.

What kind?

Guest maly&ahpulee

Okay, what recording program can I use and how do I edit? I tried Audacity, but I get a static-y noise when I play it back. WHat settings should my volume controls be at?

So when I'm using a instrumental without any vocals, is there a way I can get the original song with vocals to go along at the same time? OR...when you guys that use instrumentals...how do u do it?

Guest geneyoonit

How do you guys get rid of congestion. I'm using flonase for the little allergies i have but sometimes it comes back.

ur nose is getting in the way... haha.. u gotta find a balance between singing TOO foward.. and TOO farback... and also.. u gotta get some clearing for ur nose.. if ur nose feels stuffy.. then it'll sound stuffy :D

Okay, what recording program can I use and how do I edit? I tried Audacity, but I get a static-y noise when I play it back. WHat settings should my volume controls be at?

i trid to help someone w/ this problem in the previos page.. but im not sure if it helped :P

So when I'm using a instrumental without any vocals, is there a way I can get the original song with vocals to go along at the same time? OR...when you guys that use instrumentals...how do u do it?

umm... most of the time, the instrumental is slightly off timing from the original (because one is faster or slower than the other)... what i do, is learn the music first, and then sing the song using the inustrmental like a karaoke :D

Guest Victoria

hmm i uploaded an mp3 in my soundclick, i dont know how to let other people view it? how how how? >.<

sorry noob at sc.

Guest dark intuitions

^what program are you using to mix? It sounds like the hisses are only when you are saying "s", so de-ess'ing in audition should help a little?

I need someone to teach me how to say "s" properly, i swear, i think i have a lisp. :sweatingbullets: Hah kidding. I need someone to help me enunciate in general. An example would be that Going Crazy song, I can't get it right. >< Any tips at all?