Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

thanks for your tips but yea im doing vocal lessons so im nto blaming the mic :D it distrots my voice lots of scracthiness and hissness.. not very clear.. man i ned someone to tell me wehere to get decent mics.. !!!

Guest whitekissx

i have no problems with my range, but i can't seem to project. i know, practice practice, but practice what? i can't project my voice!!

since i was little i've only sang like disney and classical songs for fun, and that made my voice more suited for upper range notes. the problems is, in normal pop songs, there aren't many notes that go up that high. i want to know how to be more comfortable in my chest voice and to learn how to project.

and the thing with recording that is bothering me is mixing. how do you do it?! im not really sure what the term mixing really means at all either. my friend said that it's mixing different instruments together to make a composition, while some others say it's mixing your vocal recording with music. O.o is there a difference? and how do you do it? im using the program goldwave, and i think i got how to take away the vocals from the music. now i need to know how to ADD vocals to it. MY vocals. ><

hey~ i'm still waiting for an answer... when I open the choices here's what I get..

under control properties

under volume

volume device:creative sound blaster PCI

phone line:0

aux:0

TV Tuner Audio: 0

Mic Volume:100

Line in:0

Cd Audio:0

Sum:0

I don't see... STEREO MIX... anyone know why?

^ It's the setting you can set as your recording device and it records the sound coming out of your speakers. I use it for midi or *cough*ripping beats off soundclick*cough*

Guest .melee.

i had a question re: song choice

today i spoke with my school's choir teacher and she said i have an alto/mezzo soprano voice. just what exactly does that mean and what kind of songs would you suggest would best fit my voice?

Guest dark intuitions

wheee I'm an alto mezzo. This means that your voice is pretty much in the middle of the range for a girl, you probably can't go outrageously high, or outrageously low. (my range is probably E below middle C to high E -________-" Pitiful compared to many) But yes...what type of music do you like to sing, that might help in choosing songs for you?

^Rai: Ahahahaha shhhhhh you'll let people in on the secret ;)

Guest .melee.

wheee I'm an alto mezzo. This means that your voice is pretty much in the middle of the range for a girl, you probably can't go outrageously high, or outrageously low. (my range is probably E below middle C to high E -________-" Pitiful compared to many) But yes...what type of music do you like to sing, that might help in choosing songs for you?

^Rai: Ahahahaha shhhhhh you'll let people in on the secret ;)

type of music? more pop or easy rock kinda stuff

few examples of songs i do like are one such as... Against All Odds - Phil Colins, Beacause I'm A Girl - KISS, First Love - Utada Hikaru, Timeless - Kelly Clarkson.

basically that's what my taste in music is like. any song recommendations that is somewhat that type of style but still within my vocal range? (alto/mezzo soprano)

sachiko_x what do you have under recording properties?

if somehow you can change the recording setting to line in/wave or something like that instead of the mic, then you could do what dark said

hi =). i was just wonderingg, how do u improve harmonising skills? i tried to sing along to the alto part of songs but im finding it hard, esp. wen they have key changes. can anyone help?

Guest dark intuitions

impartial vocal removes? So you can learn the harmony better?

Basically, in most harmonisation, I go down a third, or up a third...it varies...but pretty much it's what sounds good to me. Sometimes I'm wrong, but yeah...

I find the singing along to the alto line very effective though, cos i'm an alto xD

since I didn't get the stereo mix thing~ I tried mixing and read another tutorial~ thanks for all the help people!!! XD

I have new Q::

When I mix~ my voice is too soft for the music... how do I change the volume?

is your microphone setting on like 90-99%?

Guest murrkoh*

If you wanted to do warm ups, you can do the typical do-re-me exercises. My teacher used to have us go: do, do re do, do re me re do, do re me fa me re do, etc. until we reached up to high do. Then we'd return going down; do, do ti do, do ti la ti do, do ti la so la ti do, etc. x:

Has anyone ever done the 'momma made me mash my m&m's,' one before? I thought of that after reflecting back on my chorus days. That one was so cute. T_T haha sorry. random. x:

Try breathing exercises to help improve your breathing so you can support your notes more? x:

Your effort shows your will. I hope you can improve. (:<3

what do you mean by breathing excersizes?

Guest xlilvietgrl

i have a question......

how do u mix your singing in with the instrumental when you dont use goldwave.....

i have recordpad from wavepad btw...

Guest sang12345

hey guys im at college now and at home i had a NRB system that i practiced on everyday but not that im here i hardly get any practice.

are there any voice excercises or anything that will help keep my "singing" in shape? i know theres no substitute for singing but i just want to know if theres anything because i sing loud and the whole hall will hear me -_-. thanks