Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest fantasiimaker

Can someone tell me how to lower a pitch of a song on Cool Edit? I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it.. I'm not sure how though. Please tell me if you know. Thanks =]

Go to Effects --> Time/Pitch --> Stretch, and then there's Lower Pitch and Raise Pitch options. You can experiment around with those, but usually the song/instru's quality is compromised after using that .__.

I've post this in tech section but no reply so far...pls help, thanks :)

I'm currently using Cubase SL and I'm happy with that. I also have Ableton Live Lite 5, which I like its interface very much (v. flexible and easy to use). They're now having a promotion that I can upgrade to Live 5 full version with US229 (download ver.), which comes with the free upgrade to Live 6 (will be released in Sep). Do you think it's worth upgrading? I like the software but I find the price is a bit expensive...

I'm still a beginner in music editing and most of the time I use the softwares to create electronic music. To me Cubase is more for editing and Live is more about performance and arrangement. What's your opinion? Thanks

Guest geneyoonit

Go to Effects --> Time/Pitch --> Stretch, and then there's Lower Pitch and Raise Pitch options. You can experiment around with those, but usually the song/instru's quality is compromised after using that .__.

just to add to that.. 100 = original key. above 100 = lowered pitch, and below 100 = highered pitch... i think 108 is a whole step down... so 104 is a half step, and 92 is a whole step up, and 96 is a half step... and so on and so fourth :P

oh... and ^yun sorry, i cant help u there >.<

Guest sikkony

is there a way to increase your voice range?? in particular, making ur voice lower.

any advice would be great plz!!

You can't really increase your range downwards. That's the thing. What you have is what you have, you can only improve those low notes you already have. You'd probably be able to use different techniques to go lower a bit, but you're not going to find a huge range increase you would find if you were working upwards.

@ Yun,

I believe it just comes down to how much you really want it doesn't it. If music is your life, or you take it professionally (ie, it's your career) then it should be worth the purchase. Otherwise, I would say no. And at USD299, that's not little. I think in most of our eyes, that would be a big no. I think that's way too much, and besides, there are more solutions out there for you too. Cooledit (Adobe Audition) etc, not sure on the prices of these programs.

If you're into singing, then I think USD299 is definitely better invested in vocal training honestly, but this is my oppinion. If you're just into mixing, then I'm sure you could find alternatives that are worth.

@ Yun,

I believe it just comes down to how much you really want it doesn't it. If music is your life, or you take it professionally (ie, it's your career) then it should be worth the purchase. Otherwise, I would say no. And at USD299, that's not little. I think in most of our eyes, that would be a big no. I think that's way too much, and besides, there are more solutions out there for you too. Cooledit (Adobe Audition) etc, not sure on the prices of these programs.

If you're into singing, then I think USD299 is definitely better invested in vocal training honestly, but this is my oppinion. If you're just into mixing, then I'm sure you could find alternatives that are worth.

Thanks for your opinion :) I agree what you say, I think I should I try my best with the softwares I've already had...I've been thinking about this in the last few days and then I think those great songs in the old days, they've little software and still able to make great music. So I decided that right now I should probably concentrate on improving my singing and creation skills rather than investing another software. Thanks v. much :)

I TRULY hope someone can give me a few tips and not ignore my question. ><

After reading through the full 28 pages available, I STILL did not find a way to create a smooth song!

I tried looking through google/program tutorials/soompi, but there doesn't seem to be a step by step instruction to mixing ur own songs!!

I downloaded Adobe Audition 1.5 AND Goldwave like ya'll suggested....and tried several different ways to remove the voice from songs and noise from my recording. They all turn out really unclear and scratchy, especially the "instrumental" that I make. I know that u can't completely remove the original voice after reading from the 28 pages, but when I try to make instrumentals, they turn out with the worst quality!!! >< Then, I add my recorded voice to it....and...it's a disaster. lol

Can ya'll give me steps to creating smooth songs/professional quality songs? Or...maybe let me know what settings on Adobe Audition 1.5 or Goldwave I'm supposed to use everytime I mix? Like, give me ur tricks or anything u learned from experiences to perfect a song...anything that made a HUGE difference in ur songs.

I'm really sorry if this has been asked or it is a dumb question.... :(

Thanks!!!

Guest geneyoonit

^ i'll try to help u... but im not exactly sure what the SOURCE of the problem is..

1) try checking ur mic, and see if its good quality.. (and not really really cheap)

2) do u hav alot of background noises in ur house? maybe its due to that...

3) try setting ur mic up, so ur mic volume isnt at its highest.. and fool aorund w/ the volume control of your MIC (and check if its BOOST is on)... if its on, then it could cause alot of hisses/scratchy noises)

-(to do that, go to your control panel, then SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES, and then look either in AUDIO or VOICE to find an image of ur mic, and click VOLUME and set it up right)

4) you can also smooth things out w/ ur programs using the hiss/crack/ or noise reduction.. but that should be ur last option, cuz it never works TOO well, and can cause ur song to sound funny...

5) try a little reverb too...

i donno.. im very amuture @ this sorta thing too, cuz iv only started this march.. there are probably alot more smarter and experienced people in this forum to help ya :)

Guest dark intuitions

removing vox from songs generally suck, but i find in Audition, playing with the settings (i don't remember what they are called atm, but like the parts underneath the second slider, play with those settings, moving them up or down and stuff, can help to eliminate some of the noises, but you really need to just play with it a lot for each song, or find proper instrumentals. Most of the pro sounding singers on here do not rely on vocal remove, they find instrumentals or synth them themselve (like sb62345)

There's also hmaster's tutorials on the very first page, i hope that was your first stop, because it really is very informative!

Guest 보석미남

2 QUESTIONS~

1. I think I'm tone deaf? I used to be really horrible in singing because I just don't sing at all, so whenever I try to just sing a simple line it'll go all pitchy and stuff. Now it's slighttly better because I've been singing and practicing. But I can't sing with music, at all. NUH UH. If I sing with music I'd be REALLY REALLY off-pitch. Is this fixable by practicing? TT_TT.

2. I don't know why but everytime I sing, a different voice comes out. How do I distinguish my "real" singing voice? Because sometimes it's husky/low/chest voice/sorta-like-how-i-talk (pitchy) but when I try to sing with a higher pitch (slightly above average), a totally different voice is produce and it's less pitchy and sounds clearer/smoother/crisper? Help? It's not about hitting lower/higher notes, it's the pitch of my voice? TT_TT. I'd like the lower pitch but then it's really really really really really pitchy. eh, it sounds like I just answered my own question. O_O.

Guest dark intuitions

practice practice practice!! Also, ask people to listen to you (choose nice people ehehehe :sweatingbullets: ) and tell you when you are off pitch.

2. I don't know why but everytime I sing, a different voice comes out. How do I distinguish my "real" singing voice? Because sometimes it's husky/low/chest voice/sorta-like-how-i-talk (pitchy) but when I try to sing with a higher pitch (slightly above average), a totally different voice is produce and it's less pitchy and sounds clearer/smoother? Help? It's not about hitting lower/higher notes, it's the pitch of my voice? TT_TT.

Chest voice and head voice. Most people consider chest voice (the lower husky one) to be real voice. Head voice is clearer, smoother and usually softer. It's normal, and if you have difficulty in increasing the range of your chest voice, then work on blending them so that transitions are better.

Guest *Madison

doing scales downwards instead of going up as we normal word. but why would you wanna sing lower? O.o are you a girl?

i'm a girl but i'd really like to be able to sing those low notes at the beginning of some songs. it sucks when i have to skip it coz i can't go so low :(

You can't really increase your range downwards. That's the thing. What you have is what you have, you can only improve those low notes you already have. You'd probably be able to use different techniques to go lower a bit, but you're not going to find a huge range increase you would find if you were working upwards.

eeeee :tears: really? :starts sobbing again: ok then.

Guest `faded

^ actually it's not true..you can increase your range..by going low and by going up..it all takes practice really..and when you think you're comfortable singing that highest note or that lowest note then you can step it up a notch and maybe sing one more note..higher or lower =)..and then practice on that with the other ranges..that way you can expand your range =)

^ i'll try to help u... but im not exactly sure what the SOURCE of the problem is..

1) try checking ur mic, and see if its good quality.. (and not really really cheap)

2) do u hav alot of background noises in ur house? maybe its due to that...

3) try setting ur mic up, so ur mic volume isnt at its highest.. and fool aorund w/ the volume control of your MIC (and check if its BOOST is on)... if its on, then it could cause alot of hisses/scratchy noises)

-(to do that, go to your control panel, then SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES, and then look either in AUDIO or VOICE to find an image of ur mic, and click VOLUME and set it up right)

4) you can also smooth things out w/ ur programs using the hiss/crack/ or noise reduction.. but that should be ur last option, cuz it never works TOO well, and can cause ur song to sound funny...

5) try a little reverb too...

i donno.. im very amuture @ this sorta thing too, cuz iv only started this march.. there are probably alot more smarter and experienced people in this forum to help ya :)

Wow, thank you so much for the awesome advices!!!

Nope, no background noises in my house.

Sorry to sound stupid..but...where is the control panel u are talking about. :blush: Adobe audition seems to have so many control panels and stuff. haha

I tried the noise reduction stuff...and all they do is make the quality worse. yuck..

I'm not sure what reverb is..... :vicx:

Also, I was amazed at ur beautiful songs!! Your voice is amazing, and ur mix always turns out so smooth and nice. ^_______^

removing vox from songs generally suck, but i find in Audition, playing with the settings (i don't remember what they are called atm, but like the parts underneath the second slider, play with those settings, moving them up or down and stuff, can help to eliminate some of the noises, but you really need to just play with it a lot for each song, or find proper instrumentals. Most of the pro sounding singers on here do not rely on vocal remove, they find instrumentals or synth them themselve (like sb62345)

There's also hmaster's tutorials on the very first page, i hope that was your first stop, because it really is very informative!

Yeah, I tried to play with the settings for over 5 hours, and nothing could make my song sound professional. --" I always hear u guys with those nice mix, I wonder how ya'll do it. lol

As for the slider...I'm not quite sure what u mean..... :unsure:

I tried several times to download hmaster's tutorial..but, it kept on saying closed for the next 48 hours or something. O_o

Guest dark intuitions

Yeah, I tried to play with the settings for over 5 hours, and nothing could make my song sound professional. --" I always hear u guys with those nice mix, I wonder how ya'll do it. lol

As for the slider...I'm not quite sure what u mean..... :unsure:

I tried several times to download hmaster's tutorial..but, it kept on saying closed for the next 48 hours or something. O_o

When I'll get home I'll send it to you. If he doesn't mind, of course, I'll ask him.

When I'll get home I'll send it to you. If he doesn't mind, of course, I'll ask him.

Thanks so much!! That would be awesome if u could PM me the link or whichever way to get it my way. XD

Also....I have another question. lol

So when I'm using a instrumental without any vocals, is there a way I can get the original song with vocals to go along at the same time? OR...you guys that use instrumentals...how do u do it? :blush:

Guest geneyoonit

^ actually it's not true..you can increase your range..by going low and by going up..it all takes practice really..and when you think you're comfortable singing that highest note or that lowest note then you can step it up a notch and maybe sing one more note..higher or lower =)..and then practice on that with the other ranges..that way you can expand your range =)

yea.. u CAN go lower, but.. its REALLY hard.. haha...

ur lower range (like ur higher range) has ur natural voice tied to it (i donno how THAT part works, probably genetics :P) so, it DOES take alot of time and effort to help STRETCH that thing going...

Wow, thank you so much for the awesome advices!!!

Sorry to sound stupid..but...where is the control panel u are talking about. :blush: Adobe audition seems to have so many control panels and stuff. haha

I tried the noise reduction stuff...and all they do is make the quality worse. yuck..

I'm not sure what reverb is..... :vicx:

Also, I was amazed at ur beautiful songs!! Your voice is amazing, and ur mix always turns out so smooth and nice. ^_______^

haha your welcome :)

START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL or u can get to it by going on MY COMPUTER and then CONTROL PANEL.. and i guess it depends on what version of windows ur using.. and i cant help u if ur using mac >.<

and thanx :) but both my singing AND mixing can improve >.< but thanx nonetheless :D

Guest sikkony

Well you can increase the range using techniques, but without techniques you can't. You're not going to get much trying to increase downwards. Plus the techniques to allow yourself to hit lower notes aren't as good as the ones used to increase upwards.

When we sing low in our chest voice, our cords are compressed. The only way you can go lower is to apply more cord compression, and probably more complete cord adduction (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) which most likely will be closed to near maximum already. Once you apply so much compression, you will enter "vocal fry". Girls using vocal fries, I don't think is common. It is usually a technique male bass and probably baritones use to obtain lower notes at about C2ish and lower.

I'm not brick solid on how the vocal truely works on the bottom range, but what I said above should be at least 75% correct, although I'm willing to say it is 90% correct at least. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

yea.. u CAN go lower, but.. its REALLY hard.. haha...

ur lower range (like ur higher range) has ur natural voice tied to it (i donno how THAT part works, probably genetics :P) so, it DOES take alot of time and effort to help STRETCH that thing going...

haha your welcome :)

Ok this topic I'm more sure of haha. Firstly, you don't stretch your vocal folds to try and obtain a larger range. You utilize singing techniques. Secondly, we are all born with uniquely sized vocal tracts and vocal fold thickness. The larger the vocal tract, the deeper your voice. The thicker your vocal folds, the heavier your timbre of your voice is. For example, males v.s females. Males obviously have a much larger vocal tract than females. This is why females have a higher chest voice than males. Another example = Baritone v.s Tenor. Baritone, larger vocal tract by nature, thicker cords. Tenor, thinner vocal folds, and smaller tract. Anyways, this is why we all sound different.

Hope this clears ups your confusion Geeny.