[drama 2007] White Tower [ 하얀 거탑]

shirley

Guest ilovekangmae

Regarding episode 2, I was almost in tears when I watched the ending!

I wanna strangle the super scheming Dr. Wu! :fury: :angry:

Yeah, me too. Dr. Wu is a sly one. :angry:

I'm in Epi 12 already ( I have to finish this before the holidays, lol. As I will have BV re-watch). My goodness, this drama is too intense. There were times that I had to stop because I was really drained from watching. Dr. Jang's intensity and passion is really overwhelming.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, me too. Dr. Wu is a sly one. :angry:

I'm in Epi 12 already ( I have to finish this before the holidays, lol. As I will have BV re-watch). My goodness, this drama is too intense. There were times that I had to stop because I was really drained from watching. Dr. Jang's intensity and passion is really overwhelming.

You are on epi 12 already... so fast.

I kind of lost interest watching the slow online streaming c-sub.

Thank you, shirley, for the fantastic summaries. It's great watching a drama with you again. :D

I wasn't too thrilled about the directing at first, but the actors more than make up for it. :)

Love Dr. Jang's walk (distinctly different from Kang Mae's walk :lol:).

Deputy Director Wu's character takes some getting used to because I'm so used to seeing Kim Chang Wan in quirky, endearing roles...rather than the sugar-tongued serpent he plays here. :blink:

Why did he contradict Chief Lee at the meeting and not nominate Dr. Jang to be transferred, even though he was angry with him for doing the surgery behind his back....only later to use the painting as an excuse to send Dr. Jang to the branch?

And do we know who gave DD Wu the box of "cake" - it was filled with money, right?

I must admit, I was a little distracted at the wine bar scene...KMM was brilliant, but I was distracted by my curiosity about what wines they had there. :blush: My husband walked in the room during that scene and also said, "I wonder what wines those are..." :lol:

hjkomo *hug* ke

^^yes . Kim Chang Wan also commented in one interview , this being his first "evil" role ...but ya this sugar tongued serpent is so harmless looking but when he attack ..he make sure he bite you at the lethal spot .

yup. the cake box was filled with money . the best form of bribery is to do in cash ...harder to trace .^.but Dr Choi nearly ruined it by offering to get a new one hahaha ~~

regarding why did the deputy director contradict prof lee i have a feeling that he know that is not the general popular idea .given the way the whole conference room silent respond .--;; i dun know . i seem to get the idea he doesnt want to be on the wrong side now ..though he resent Prof Jang for what he did with the surgery but he knows what is the wise position to take at the right moment he doesnt want to show that he openly support Prof Lee idea but ..towards the end .Prof Jang bribery intention .led him to do this behind the doors and smoothly play it as if Prof Jang volunteered it .

Lol the wine ..a pity.

Muchos gracias to Shirley for that wonderful recap!

I was also confused with the issue of Dr Jang's wife.

Thanks for the clarification.

But didn't Dr Jang's boss and the Dep Dir know that Dr Jang's wife works in that wine place?

Hmm...I don't remember if she's part of the women's organization....

er . that is not Mrs Jang , that is his mistress. at the wine bar . and yes the official Mrs Jang is in the women assocation and is newly elected to be the manager.

* i will write up esp 2 later today ^

Guest kdramafanusa

This is from Mr. X (love his writeups at Twitch)'s blog. :)

http://www.mediamob.co.kr/misterx/Blog.aspx#

The 2nd X Drama Awards

34847061vr2.jpg

page281729qf9.jpg

베스트 극본 (Best Screenplay)

Honorable Mention #1: Park Yeon-Seon (KBS 'Evasive Inquiry Agency')

Honorable Mention #2: Lee Ki-Won (MBC 'White Tower')

Winner: Park Shin-Woo (KBS 'Conspiracy In The Court')

이기원 (MBC 하얀거탑)

허준에서 상도, 그 많은 현대극이 보여준 것이 있다면 각색이 그리 쉬운 일이 아닌 것이었다. 특히 하얀거탑 같은 경우에는 60년대 원작을 지금의 현실로 옮겨야 했었고, 그 중간에 수준급 일본판도 있었으니 만만치 않은 도전이었다. 따지고 보면 원작의 맛이 처음부터 끝까지 느껴졌지만, 이 드라마의 가장 인상적인 변화는 바로 한국적 정서에 맞춰서 움직이는 그 분위기였다. 하얀거탑이 찾을 꼭대기는 의학, 의사와 환자에 대처하는 이들의 관념이 아니고, 사회 생활과 사생활 사이에서 움직이는 선수들의 가면 뒤에 살짝 보이는 그 눈빛, 자기만의 꼭대기를 찾는, 우리와 너무나 닮은 인간이었다. 그런 개념에 집중하고자 버린 것도 있었고, 희생한 것도 있었지만, 아주 훌륭한 각색이며, 장르물의 진정한 매력을 살리면서 엄청난 현실감을 보여준 시도였다.

page281829ka3.jpg

베스트 연출 (Best Director)

Honorable Mention #1: Kim Jin-Min (MBC 'Time Between Dog & Wolf')

Honorable Mention #2: Ahn Pan-Seok (MBC 'White Tower')

Winner: Kwak Jung-Hwan (KBS 'Conspiracy In The Court')

안판석 (MBC 하얀거탑)

요즘 장미와 콩나물 다시 인코딩해보니 얼마나 시원하게 움직이는 드라마였음을 느꼈다. 그냥 답답하게 세트만에 집착하는 그 전형적인 홈드라마가 아니라, 오른 손에는 전원일기의 유산을 갖고, 왼손에는 미래로 갈 준비를 하는 마음을 보여주는 그 개념이 아직도 빛난다. 그의 영화 데뷔인 국경의 남쪽은 생각보다 좋았고, 역시 하얀거탑은 대박이었다. 드라마를 지배하는 존재가 대본과 제작환경, 캐릭터에 잘 어울리는 배우란 마음 때문에 애초부터 성공할 수 밖에 없는 드라마였지만, 한국 의학드라마의 역사를 새로 쓴 이 작품은 아마 MBC에 있어 올해의 가장 중요한 교훈이다. 장르물이면서 너무 장르만에 집착하지 않고, 김명민 같은 스타가 있어도 제일 빛나는 것은 드라마의 캐릭터가 남긴 개념, 대본이 표현한 주제의식이다. 그리고, 물론, 그냥 화면빨과 좋은 음악으로 모두 다 승부하는 것이 아니라, 대본의 힘을 발휘하는 그 연출력, 기억할만한 상황이다.

page282029sw9.jpg

본좌 男상 (Best Male Veteran of the Year)

Honorable Mention #1: Ahn Nae-Sang (KBS 'Conspiracy In The Court', MBC Dramanet 'Chosun Police')

Honorable Mention #2: Jeon Kwang-Ryeol (SBS 'King And I')

Winner: Kim Myung-Min (MBC 'White Tower')

수상

김명민 (MBC 하얀거탑)

얼마나 잔인한 상황일텐데. 그 두 눈빛만으로 연기를 하는 건. 유치한 와이프 앞에서 가면을 쓰고, 거탑의 선수 앞에서 또 다른 마스크가 필요하고, 도영과 희재가 없었다면 그의 본 모습이 바람처럼 사라졌을 것이다. 그래서 김명민이 필요했다. 이순신 같은 엄청난 역할을 대단하게 소화해낸 이 기가 막힌 배우의 눈빛 연기는 그런 어마어마한 도전에 접근할만한 몇 안 되는 배우였다 (그래서 궁금하다, 그 나머지 몇 안 되는 배우였으면 드라마가 어떻게 됐을까? 전광렬의 장준혁, 설경구의 장준혁. 아니, 박용우의 장준혁까지?), 20회 동안 가면 쓰다가 마지막 순간에 그 무거운 짐을 벗고, 한꺼번에 그 믿을 수 없는 에너지가 나왔을 때. 나도 "가지마" 하고 싶었다. 김명민이 맡은 장준혁은 아마 다음 10년의 국내 현대극에 영향을 줄 캐릭터니까.

page282129ru6.jpg

올해의 드라마 (Best Drama of the Year)

10. MBC 케세라세라 (Que Sera Sera)

09. MBC 개와 늑대의 시간 (Time Between Dog & Wolf)

08. MBC 고맙습니다 (Thank You)

07. KBS 마왕 (Devil)

06. MBC 누나 (Sister)

05. SBS 강남엄마 따라잡기 (Catch A GangNam Mother)

04. 채널CGV 정조암살미스터리 - 8일

03. KBS 얼렁뚱땅 흥신소 (Evasive Inquiry Agency)

02. MBC 하얀거탑 (White Tower)

01. KBS 한성별곡 正 (Conspiracy In The Court)

02. 하얀거탑

MBC - 안판석 연출, 이기원 극본 - 김명민, 이선균, 김창완, 이정길, 김보경

감독판인데도 이렇게도 변함이 작은 작품은 처음 본다. 그 이유는 무엇일까? 거의 완벽했으니까. 하얀거탑이 도달했던 꼭대기는 바로 이 2007년에 여의도가 필요한 성숙함이었다. 사전제작? 스타성 캐스팅에서 벗어나는 건? 다양성? 다 좋은데. 이 드라마는 사전제적도 아니고, 큰 스타 하나라도 캐스팅했고, 따지고 보면 그리 신선한 인프라로 시작하지 않았지만, 사회생활의 이면을 이리도 성숙하게 묘사했던 이 드라마는 모든 여의도 식구들에게 (특히 MBC!) 엄청난 가치의 교훈이었다.

Guest aaadramavr

thanks Shirley

Your synopsis of Ep 1 is excellent and you explained some of the nuances that added great understanding of the characters. I wonder if you would clarify what the elderly male patient in a wheelchair was a former doctor said to to Prof. Lee. I know i was about the magazine article but what did he say that made Prof. Lee so mad? Also, in the opening the AA was saying something to Prof. Lee about the older generation?

Thanks, this is one of the best dramas

thanks Shirley

Your synopsis of Ep 1 is excellent and you explained some of the nuances that added great understanding of the characters. I wonder if you would clarify what the elderly male patient in a wheelchair was a former doctor said to to Prof. Lee. I know i was about the magazine article but what did he say that made Prof. Lee so mad? Also, in the opening the AA was saying something to Prof. Lee about the older generation?

Thanks, this is one of the best dramas

ah this scene ^ the elderly patient was also formerly a professor .who had retired . he was just rambling to Prof Lee about retired life ..Prof Lee was saying he should be soon joinig him as a retiree ..and the elderly professor was saying you might need to copy the bible to pass time .and then he showed Prof lee the magazine and said that you have an awesome successor .and that besides saving patients , a good doctor also should be training competent doctors as well ..so he is actually praising Prof Lee for having trained up such a good successor in Dr Jang . but er ..this was after todays quota of "you have a brilliant successor" is up for Prof Lee ,he had heard it so many times in one day with what happen in the conference room and operation room . then to see the magazine interview of Dr Jang , it shows even the pubic outside the hospital is calling his successor the most talented surgeon .. Prof Lee is getting angry at this. before he even retired .he is treated as so dispensable . his successor fame is over taking him .

WhiteTower_Ep01_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-56.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep01_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-55.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep01_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-54.jpg

Esp 2

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-26.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-28.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-29.jpg

The operation on deputy director’s patient was just about to begin . when deputy director walked in . He calmly asked Professor Choi to sit an watch the opearation while he start to chat as if nothing is wrong . The alarmed Dr Jang continue the operation .

You start to wonder anxiously about if he knew who was on that operation table ? lol I must admit I was going from . he know ? he doesn’t , he know , he doesn’t ..firstly you cant really tell from the conversation deputy director was going on about it been more then ten years since he last see dr choi and dr jang compete to be top in their class .now they are pillars of the hospital both as internist and a surgeon . ..while other hospitals are having a hard time because of clashes between the internal medicine and general surgery department , he was sure dr choi and dr jang wont have such a problem since they cooperated so well ( ahh …then you realize ..jeeze . he knew what they have been doing behind his back ) ….seriously if it was Professor Lee , he will probably be screaming with veins red ..but this deputy director speak as calmly with a poker face ..these are the kind of people that is more dangerous . .

DD: “Tell me what result you want , although I know that you think it’s pancreatic cancer."

Dr Choi didnt answer .

DD: "Tell me , I am curious "

Choi : "I hope its not pancreatic cancer "

DD: "You always care about the patient . that’s a good attiude "

I think so too , I hope the patient doesn’t have pancreatic cancer .

But below it was announced by dr jang that the patient does have pancreatic cancer .

DD " What an achievement ".

( I guess he both refer to the operation but also to what the two had managed to do behind his back ) ..

The operation was a success but Dr Jang was only worried about why was deputy director here and what did he say .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-27.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-30.jpg

He saw me operated on her !!

Though Dr Choi tried to assure him they are doing the right thing .but to dr jang what he was concerned with was deputy director knew now .

“we challenged the deputy director !

“No We saved a patient, and that’s what matters . And you perform a successful surgery ”

“Do you think that’s what the deputy director thinks , too ! ”

He walked away frustrated at the mess he got himself into , he had to take care of this himself , since Dr choi doesn’t really realize what trouble they are heading for .

Even the assistant doctors also worried about what will happen …if they will get involved as well . therefore , one of the junior doctor informed Professor Lee of this hoping that he can interfere should it became an issue with the deputy director .

This is a touchy subject which Deputy Director wont let it off so easily .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-25.jpg

Dr Jang has his own way of resolving this which I thought was quite a good move. He “ambushed” the Deputy Director and went up to him saying that his diagnosis was correct that it was pancreatic cancer . even thank him for the valuable lesson ..and Deputy Director asked if that was what Dr Choi told him . Dr Jang readily answered yes . But Deputy Director wasn’t so taken ..And questioned why didn’t he scheduled the operation in advance but did it as emergency operation (meaning why didn’t he scheduled with proper procedures …well he had to keep it a secret so they declared it as emergency operation knowing that Prof Lee wont be in during that time )

Dr Jang wasn’t prepared for that question and he gave quite a lame answer that he just wanted to know if she really did have cancer ( that his curiosity cannot wait ---;; )

I think the deputy director still wasn’t really believing it yet …but he accepted it smilingly .but you wont know what behind that smile .

"that' s your only reason . Anyway , good job"

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-24.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-23.jpg

Of course Dr Jang need to coordinate the testament with Dr Choi . He stressed his solution is a win win situation . that Dr choi didn’t exposed Deputy Director mistake and Dr Jang did it without knowing it …Still Dr Choi doesn’t want to be part of such lies ..

Dr Jang was frustrated with this good friend who doesn’t seem to understand his superior character .

Jang : Why are you doing this to me ? I already told him !

I only operated on her because you told me to.

Choi : Right . So why didn’t you tell him that ?

Why did you lie to him ?

Jang : Lie ?

Well , you transferred the patient without order . What have you got to say for yourself ?

Is this what you call fighting till the end for logical reason

Whatever happen to the honest Choi Do yeong who is not afraid to fight for a just clause ?

Regardless of the procedures , I saved the patient . Now its my turn

I am asking a favour , as a friend

Choi do yeong , I am asking you to help me !

Choi : "Till now I haven’t see a surgeon more brilliant than you are

"I was proud of myself as a friend and a follow doctor when I have the honour of seeing you perform that perfect surgery yesterday "

"Please maintain your dignity as a surgeon . I don’t want to be disappointed in you over this matter

Jang : " Thanks for the compliment , but please consider the fact that this surgeon whom you are so proud of is in danger right now ."

So then what will be Dr Choi decision ? to lie or not ….

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-21.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-22.jpg

The test came when Deputy Director approached him with the question directly. asking if he did told Dr Jang that the DD had diagnosis it as pancreatic cancer ..

I think it must be a difficult moment for Dr Choi , his choice is to lie or not to . his principle of upholding the right decision or to help his friend ..

He bowed lightly and said " I am sorry"

Deputy Director : " you two make a great team "

It does make you wondered if he believed them or still doubt what they say but since they are creating such a combined front against him he cant do anything with them

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-19.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-20.jpg

Dr Jang was immensely happy that Dr Choi did help him get out of this mess with the lie .

Choi : " This is the first time and the last that I am going to do something like this "

Jang : "When are you going to grow up . remember what I told you . The organization structure is more important than an accurate diagnosis

If you cant accept that reality , then both of us can't be a chief ."

Choi : You don’t have to force yourself like this. we are naturally be chiefs if we work hard.

Besides , even if I don’t become a chief I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I did my job

Jang : "Ha ~Are you really navie or just pretending to be navie

How long did it take for us to get here ? Six years of med school , internship residency , army surgeon , fellowship , full time lecturer , assistant professor and now .we are almost to the point of getting promoted to the chief position and you want to stop here.! "

Choi : "Did you become a doctor because you wanted to be a chief ? "

Everyone knows that you are a great surgeon . I don’t know why you are so obessed with a title ..

Jang : " That’s because we have a different perspective of life .

Even a hospital that handles lives can be pushed around by power .

That means it takes more then just competency , Of course you may be satisfied with being competent

Not me. I want both. "

I think your character and your life perspective does determine your fate and the choices you make as you can see from Dr Choi and Dr Jang .

=

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-18.jpg

So now we see the two current chief .talking about the unauthorized surgery done by Dr Jang and Dr Choi ..Professor Lee expressed his "regrets" how undisciplined his department had became .and went on to complain how they are not listening to him , since treating him as non existent . he brought up how they did an surgery without his permission …Deputy Director pretend to have no knowledge and even asked who dare do such things . and he just causally say it is time that Prof Lee do something to discipline Dr Jang ~~.

.Now since Dr Jang is sort of in Deputy Director black book , he mentioned to Professor Lee about the last conversation they had about his successor …..Professor Lee politely responded that it was just out of frustrated he said that ( meaning he wasn’t serious but we know otherwise ) …

So Deputy director also "jokingly" asked if he is becoming a problem , maybe we should send him to an affiliated hospital ..While , Professor suddenly "remembered " there is a branch that need doctors …DD complained that it is giving him a lot of headache who to send ….~~ ah…Professor Lee got the hint .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-17.jpg

First form of punishment for Dr Choi was the purchase of research equipment was rejected . They had already ordered the equipment because they were given the go ahead signal .now the deputy director just signed of as rejected .. Dr Choi went straight away to question the decision ..and on his way into the room . he run into a man with the cake box ( which is full of won the bribe for Deputy Director ) . Dr Choi nearly made another mistake .by offering to buy a new one for the box he knocked over --;;;

Dr choi can be so straight forward , he doesn't even hide his accusation but throw it straight at deputy director if he is doing it because of yesterday surgery . To which , Deputy Director was insulted !

I am actually grateful to what you guys have done . You pointed out my mistake , I should reward you not punish you . I am not that kind of guy , I am disappointed . is this how you judged me all this time ? Do you think I am that narrow minded and dirty ?

Is that so .. ?

======

Professor Lee was telling his version of what Deputy Director think to Dr Jang , saying that …he was upset that you make him looked like a incompetent man and drop the hint that “ he is talking about transferring you to the branch ” he pretend to comfort dr jang that nothing should be happening .but told him to lie low for a while .

==============

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-14.jpg

Professor Lee is on the hunt for a new successor asking his senior from his school to recommend candidates.

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-13.jpg

Another new character ^ He looked like a mad scientist doesn’t he ? Professor oh ^! He will probably do great on a CSI episode

Don’t worry , he is on the good guy team !^ Anyway ..he called Dr Choi to come because he heard of the trouble and was worried dr choi will get himself hurt . Dr Choi confided in him about his fury and that something need to be done about this injustice ..

Professor Oh : " What injustice ? do you have proof that he is taking revenge on you ?

They are just circumstances and assumptions .Besides you have showed your weakness

By reacting to his aggression . The deputy Director is a crafty fellow . You are going to stand against him . You ‘re going to lose .

Choi : "But we should correct what is wrong . "

Professor Oh : Of course we should . but not by butting heads . Do you know what you nee dthe most in order to catch a big fish?

Fish equipment ? Expertise ? No , it’s patience

I am keeping an eye on the deputy director . I ‘m willing to help you anytime you need my help . Just don’t act irrationally "

Ah you see , you do need to be smart to deal with someone like the deputy director and professor oh fit the bill . but from his reaction to Dr Choi saying that his good friend Dr Jang is there to back him up ….he doesn’t think too highly of this Jang Jung Hyuck

==

Professor Lee handed over the application for the transfer to Dr Jang and told him this is going to be only a temporapry transfer (which Dr Jang assumed that it was because of deputy director ) He keep comforting Dr Jang it is just a temporary transfer he should be back when he retired . Dr Jang objected strongly to this and questioned him why didn’t he try to stop this transfer ?

Chief , why do you have to do this ? shouldn’t you be preventing this ?

Everyone knows that my career will be ruined if I go .

Professor Lee still insisted that he was just overreacting but Jang Jung hyuck refuse to accept what had been told. But Professor Lee told him directly and cruelly the decision is not up to you now , Even when Dr Jang seem to be accusing him of kicking him out of the department , professor lee still feign innocence about why should he be doing that ?

Jang Jung Hyuck stormed out of the room …refusing to take this order .

He left the room with this word :

“ I am disappointed in you ‘ ( to his mentor ..)

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-31.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-32.jpg

Professor Lee daughter came to the hospital in pain and nearly fainted . Dr Choi diagnosised it as choledochal cyst and she needs an operation . Professor Lee feel such guilt that he didn’t realize his daughter is sick .

It is hard for doctors to operate on their own family , so Professor Lee obviously cant operate on his own daughter and deciding on who he should ask to handle this operation . Yoo jin was in great pain and need the operation as soon as possible .

Dr choi recommended that Dr Jang should do it . Professor Lee didn’t object since he knew that dr jang is the best surgeon too . but he request Dr choi to ask Dr Jang citing that he is busy with work .. I meant after that scene with Dr Jang , Professor Lee might not feel comfortable to request Dr Jang to operate on his daughter .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-12.jpg

Well , indeed Dr Jang is still not over that transfer matter and told Dr Choi that professor lee is going to transfer him to the branch ! ..saying something about it being what the deputy director wants . Dr Choi advised him to put this matter aside and operate on Yoo Jin first …

“Do you think I’ll will do it or not ??

“ Are you kidding me ? “

“ I’ll do it . You only let the person you trust the most to perform a surgery for you “

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-35.jpg

he wears such a confidence smile . knowing that Professor Le still know and trusted his talent ..

===================

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-11.jpg

It was his own daughter ‘s operation , even when it was not life threatening that her illness can be healed completely but still Professor watched the operation with anxiety ( it was at this moment , you know that Dr Jang is his best and what he always be , as a doctor at the operation table ) what conflicts and argument is left outside the operation room . Dr Choi has complete trust in his friend that when he is in surgeries , in the operation room , the surgery is the only thing in his mind .

The operation went well . Dr Jang even did the stitches himself, normally is the junior doctor who do the closing up . “ since she still not married, I should sew her up nice and pretty .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-10.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-34.jpg

Somehow , between mentor and student , there is a change in the atmosphere of the previous enmity . Professor lee went personally to praise him for a good job and thanked him .Dr Jang apolozised for his rude words previously .

Professor Lee : It’s fine , I don’t mind .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-9.jpg

Which I suspected gave Dr Jang the idea that things might turned out okay . That is why maybe when Dr Choi was shifting their attention to what Deputy Director is doing to them for his revenge . Dr Jang surprisingly wasn’t so upset by it and commented that he should just apologies sincerely . Dr Choi was surprised at this reaction and asking Dr Jang what is he apolozing for …..(since he still believed they didn’t do anything wrong , it was Deputy Director who is doing the wrong thing by taking such administrative measures punishment on them )

Dr Jang simply say that he will accept it if he get transferred ( which I dun really think that was why he had that grin on him when he say that …I think he thought things going to be okay and the transfer wont happen ) ..

Dr Choi was amazed at this turn of events as just moment ago , Dr Jang was still upset about his transfer .yet now ….he is so calm about it

Dr Jang advised him to let it go ..and not make a great deal out of this . Dr Choi suspected he had another plan in mind …

Choi : "you sound as if you are giving up your dream to be the chief of department "

Jang :" I never give up . I am only seeking a solution through my own means "

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-8.jpg

Oh yes the meeting of head of department . Professor Lee assuming he had the support of Deputy Director brought up the issue of getting Professor Jang to head the general surgery department at the branch hospital …BUT To his alarm , Deputy Director didn’t support his suggestion . saying that Dr Jang is a popular doctor in their hospital , to send him away ………Nah , I don’t think we should do that . we ‘ ll lose patients . it is a good idea ,but its hard to agree in terms of management .

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-7.jpg

Professor Lee had his list of candidates .which he accidentially printed it to the common resting room .* he rushed down just in time to grab the document before the junior doctor had a chance to see what it was . ( seriously shouldn’t he have his own printer in his room as a chief --;; )

Well , anyway he has two candidates that meet his requirement . but .finally he picked the one because of his martial status ( the guy was still single while the other was married)

Since he is looking for a successor . it will be better if he also find a prospective son in law .

This one scene is cute ..Professor Oh speaking with Dr Choi ..

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-4.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-5.jpg

This means that

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-6.jpg

A petty doctor treats illness

A better doctor treats patients

But a great doctor treats a nation

*note this is also the title of the music in the ost "

He said that jang is still a petty doctor so he didn’t expect anything out of him ..and the medical field is full of such petty doctors .

Dr choi calimed he is also a petty doctor .but professor Oh , he obviously think very highly of the integrity of Dr Choi ^^ say that he is on his way to becoming a great doctor ..because he is trying correct wrong practices . Dr choi doesn’t really think he deserved such compliment

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-39.jpg

Professor Oh : " Do you know why this is so hard ?"

Because it is the right thing to do .

But ..

I know that its worthy to take this road

This world needs people who endure difficulties ."

lol Professor oh is like a preacher ^but his words is true though sad .sometimes when you think about it .that doing the right thing is so hard while those who take all the wrong routes seem to have the easy route ..

========================

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-3.jpg

Okay now came the bribery to Deputy Director . He found that Jang Jung Hyuck had sent a painting which is worth 27 million won to his house . his wife happily accepted the gift since she is a lover of such art .. ( the name of the painting lol I think it can be translated as Fool’s landscape ? or Landscape of Fool ) ..

However , her husband ordered her to send it back . Next morning in the office , Dr Jang was called into Deputy Director office .

Dr Jang told the deputy director that the painting was a gift from his father in law who is the vice president of the medical association and is very interested in his studies of geriatric diseases.

“I think he gave it to you because he will need your help in the future ”

Er I think Dr Jang is new at this bribery thing .that he doesn’t really did it well as the professional …and whatsmore Deputy director is still not over how he was insulted by them ..and didn’t really see why should he be accepting his bribe and lower himself infront of this dr jang who think he can easily get him to do what he wants with just a painting ? .that is what I think ..about why did Deputy Director did what he did .

He told Dr Jang bluntly that in this time and age what will people think of such a gift .. when you are also a candidate for the next chief of surgeon . this will get you and me both in trouble .. ( gosh …you see how righteous he had became in front of Dr Jang )

“No one will know ”

“Ha, you know ,and I know . your wife knows and my wife knows . Oh and your father in law too

"This is not a gift but a bribe "

"No, don’t think of it that way ! "{ oh yes now you can sense dr jang feel this is going the wrong way .and feel the panic }

"Do you know that I can fire you for giving this to me !"

Boy, this punishment is getting higher , from a transfer to a termination

Dr Jang must have froze ..and cant even think of a respond

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-2.jpg

Deputy Director picked up the phone . Dr Jang instinct told him to stop what he is doing .!!!

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-1.jpg

“ I am sorry . I shouldn’t have done that

What do you think you are doing ! Take your hands off . Deputy director roared his order ( I really think he is enjoying his show of authority and display of fear by dr jang )

Dr Jang kneel ( he really is desperate and that was the only thing he knew can appease and beg for forgiveness )

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-36.jpg

Jang : " I’m sorry . I shouldn’t have done that . Please forgive me. "

That trick doesn’t have any impact on deputy director , he was out to make a fool of Dr Jang . but he is really very good at this . toying with you .and torturing you .not knowing what he was going to do .

" Hello Chief Lee Ju Wan

Oh yes I am with Dr jang jung hyeok

He just paid me a visit

He volunteered to go to the branch

Yes, I know our hospital can’t afford to send him

But he insist on going

I cant do anything about it

That why I called you, what would you do if you were in my shoes "

Prof Lee : " Well , if that's what professor Jang wants , we should respect his decision

I am still in Seoul , I ‘m sure I can still manage this place somehow without him

Oh see that victory grin

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-37.jpg

Deputy Director : " I see I will do as you says .. "

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi-38.jpg

WhiteTower_Ep02_HDTV_XviD-SUNavi_00.jpg

omg the pics look soo good T__________T

GAH i really really want to watch this

the sites ive been too wont let me watch it

or i cant find any

ive tired the one clubbox link but it wont work

does anyone know where i can watch this and get subtitles pleeasseee

ive been wanting to watch this for forever T__T;

Guest ilovekangmae

I'm done with this series. I've finished it Saturday morning (around 1AM, I think).

This is certainly one of the best dramas I've seen.

I was crying so hard (and non-stop) during the last five episodes.

Dr. Jang is simply awesome! :D

Guest ilovekangmae

Shirley, thanks for posting the summary of epi 2.

It was kind of a review for me.

Dr. Wu is really a crafty one. He is the silent-waters-run-deep type of a person. As I've said, a very sly doctor.

I agree with your observation about Dr. Oh. He'll do nicely on a CSI episode. And I also love his character - very principled. :)

Guest lovekmm

Does anybody know the name of cancer Dr. Jang died from?

Since the term is so technical, I don't know what do you call in English.

Is it 'Cholangio cancer', 'Cholangiocarcinoma', 'bile duct cancer' or something else?

Which one is correct?

Does anybody know the name of cancer Dr. Jang died from?

Since the term is so technical, I don't know what do you call in English.

Is it 'Cholangio cancer', 'Cholangiocarcinoma', 'bile duct cancer' or something else?

Which one is correct?

Bile duct cancer, also known as Cholangiocarcinoma.

http://www.cancersupportivecare.com/bileduct.html

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/.../Bileductcancer

Credit: Javabeans

source:

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...1111&ext=na

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=200812161407141010

200812160929521111_2.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/12/veteran-...ncer/#more-3339

Veteran actor passes away from cancer

On December 15, veteran television and film actor Park Kwang-jung passed away after suffering from lung cancer.

The passing was not a surprise (to those close to the deceased); he was diagnosed earlier this year (and even filmed a drama, MBC’s Who Are You, after finding out about his cancer). Park recently put up a last thank-you message on his mini-homepage to his fans. It read: “Rather than becoming a mountain that soars up high, I’d rather become a small hill here. If hope I can cast light not just on the path I’m taking but on someone else’s path…”

Family and friends paid their respects to the deceased actor on the evening of the 15th. He was 46.

Park may not be as high-profile as some A-list actors, but he’s a familiar face who has been in many well-known projects over the years; I’m sure there’s something you’ve seen him do at one time or another. The man’s long resumé spans the past two decades:

Drama credits:

Big Hit (2008)

New Heart (2007)

Who Are You (2007)

White Tower (2007)

Special Crime Investigation (2006)

Sweet Buns (2004)

Island (2004)

Say You Love Me (2004)

Good Person (2003)

Film credits:

I Like It Hot (2008)

Driving With My Wife’s Lover (2007)

Small Pond (2007)

Princess Aurora (2005)

Reversal of Fortune (2003)

Can’t Live Without Robbery (2002)

Iron Palm (2002)

Pisces (2000)

The Happy Funeral Director (2000)

Ghost in Love (1999)

Story of a Man (1998)

Sky Doctor (1997)

The Last Defense (1997)

No. 3 (1997)

Father vs. Son (1997)

Holiday in Seoul (1997)

Change (1997)

The Real Man (1996)

A Petal (1996)

Corset (1996)

Out to the World (1994)

For Go-chul (1993)

Screaming City (1993)

Myong-ja Akiko Sonia (1992)

Shirley, thanks for posting the summary of epi 2.

It was kind of a review for me.

Dr. Wu is really a crafty one. He is the silent-waters-run-deep type of a person. As I've said, a very sly doctor.

I agree with your observation about Dr. Oh. He'll do nicely on a CSI episode. And I also love his character - very principled. :)

we need a certain balance in the world .^ Dr Oh is not as crafty as the other camp but he know what they can be up to ~Mr Byung who play the role of Dr Oh is also a excellent veteran actor , i love seeing him .

===

i heard a bad news today that actor Park Kwang-jung (46) who was also in White Tower had passed away due to lung cancer .He was in the role of one of the professor .

200812160000041in.jpg

1216-shim-2.jpg

may he rest in peace . he was a familar face in alot of drama and movie .being a theater director himself too.

That's sad new... He certainly left an impression in the few episodes of WT I've watched so far.

The late actor appeared in many supporting roles in dramas. He did left an impression with me.

Guest lovekmm

Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

we need a certain balance in the world .^ Dr Oh is not as crafty as the other camp but he know what they can be up to ~Mr Byung who play the role of Dr Oh is also a excellent veteran actor , i love seeing him .

===

i heard a bad news today that actor Park Kwang-jung (46) who was also in White Tower had passed away due to lung cancer .He was in the role of one of the professor .

may he rest in peace . he was a familar face in alot of drama and movie .being a theater director himself too.

I didn't know that. I'll visit his cyworld and express my condolence!

Archived