Rant All You Want Here..Whining Allowed.

Risse

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest severus

Does anyone else also sometimes drool when you yawn? Or do I have a drooling problem? 

Drinking too much will do that to you. Also stay away from pools because gag reflexes go away.

I don't drink THAT much for me to lose control over jaw/tongue muscles lol. I think.

Guest severus

Crude oil at $42.38 today. My heart can't take it anymore. Everytime I look at market updates it feels like a bullet to my heart. Like that Baek Ji Young song. 

Guest severus

Stalking Goldman associates. Full of good looking people who ranked first in class at Cambridge Yale Harvard Oxford. 

I have zero chance hahahhahahsob. 

I just saw Ex Machina. All the linguistic ideas worked. The metalinguistic awareness of the film is high. I'm seriously shocked by it, Good stuff. The film kinda dips down in quality toward the end with all the Cannes-ish stuff that happens, but it's still good. I recommend it.

Seriously though, the writer took the time to actually learn the ideas he was working with. I looked up his Wikipedia page and there's nothing that suggests a linguistics background. It's weird. It's not like Kojima who just thought he was going to pass as one and really messed up The Phantom Pain with misconceptions and convoluted logic. This film has stuff like theory of mind and nativism and it's applied correctly. Even the other science is based on logic. The stuff about the brain is how I imagined an artificial one would be like.

I feel like I'm geeking out right now. Check out the film. It's good. I mean it.

^thats an interesting perspective to view the film from. i cant recall when they explored linguistics in the film.

It's not something that sticks out too much, but a lot of it starts in the beginning when they're discussing how they would know if Ava was conscious depending on how she uses language. When they talk about how she has language and the difference between how she just always had it from her existence and how humans acquire it. There's a reference to nativism when Caleb says that some people believe that language is innate and syntax and arbitrary symbols map themselves through the innate ability. It's like the difference between humans and Ava isn't as simple as "it was programmed" because in a way, it's like it is programmed in humans. It's either that is irrelevant/inconclusive or that shows us that Caleb and Ava were really the same in that regard. Either way, how she got language doesn't discredit her intelligence.

There are also references to theory of mind, but I'm going to see if I can put that in spoilers.

Nathan makes claims that she's using Caleb by pretending to like him. It's the same concept as children lying. When children learn to lie, they learn to evaluate truth in context and figure out if something could actually pass as a lie. When a human becomes successful at understanding lies and lying, that shows developed consciousness. Ava basically showed consciousness the whole time she was in the movie by planning to seduce Caleb and escape. Everything she did was a show because she was completely aware and she used her environment to create believable lies. It was the third question that was most important. It wasn't whether she thought she liked him because of the programming or she really did like him because she developed those feelings as a human would. Nathan suggests the third question of "what if she's only pretending?" and ironically, that was the best way to tell.

Nathan also gives Kyoko very limited language abilities to keep her from fully developing. She doesn't really have the same chance as Ava to learn the things she learns. Nathan also states that he believes in interaction as the focus of the experiment. He has control over how his machines interact and he puts Ava and the other self-aware AI (with full language ability) behind transparent barriers while he lets Kyoko walk around the house without the transparent barriers because he uses her lack of language as a barrier.

Archived