[Drama 2024]Captivating the King/Sejak, 세작, 매혹된 자들

larus

Ep11 was good. It’s becoming clearer to HeeSoo the king’s true heart and she is swaying further from her revenge plans and i believe so is KMH after what the king did for the princess.

5 episodes to go and there are still a lot of skirmish happening in the background. 

• Like 4

Here are the ratings for Episode 11! :).

“Knight Flower” Finale Breaks Record For Highest Ratings Of Any Friday-Saturday Drama In MBC History

“Knight Flower” Finale Breaks Record For Highest Ratings Of Any Friday-Saturday Drama In MBC History

Captivating the King” fell to an average rating of 4.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1643157wpp/knight-flower-finale-breaks-record-for-highest-ratings-of-any-friday-saturday-drama-in-mbc-history

7 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Ep11 was good. It’s becoming clearer to HeeSoo the king’s true heart and she is swaying further from her revenge plans and i believe so is KMH after what the king did for the princess.

It was better in ep 11  but I still don`t forgive the writer or Hee Soo for the dumb plan. I ended up disliking the female character because of the writing. I am not a fan of the cliche of a man falling in love with a female disguised as a man. I had to ignore the fact that the disguise was not convincing or about the weak plot of revenge but I still liked watching the main couple on screen. Well, I liked the king mostly. I think the writing for Jo Jung Seok`s character is good. But ep 10 came....

Now, in ep 11. Once again, the king saved the situation and once again showed that he is a good monarch, caring about the country and his people. Finaly Hee Soo used her brain for once. She started to think that there must be a reason for his behavior.  No kidding. Now you realised it and you want to think about it! What have you done in these three years? And another airhead, Kim Myung-Ha, started to think that perhaps king is not that bad. I liked when that government official put him to asked himself why he was brought to the court even after being a son of a traitor, giving him another chance. And even now, the king did not punished him as he deserved. 

Dumb and Dumber duo was useless for half of the drama. They were so immature and we have to think that these two can plot the dethronement of a king!!!!!

Now that Hee Soo start to change her thought and not plotting further, it will be bearable to watch. I assume that she will try to protect the king, perhaps she will guard him, getting hit herself to protect the king. She can redeeem herself.

I have to say that the king`s right man, Joo Sang-Hwa , was wonderful. I always liked him. For me, the king and his right man make the number one couple of this drama. :love:

After Kim Myung-Ha`s father died, the villains were not impressive. They are mostly annoying. 

Court Lady Dong is the only one who is interesting. I searched about the actress, Park Ye-Young. I watched her in drama Inspector Koo but I don`t remember her role there. But after this drama she has my attention.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, larus said:

Now that Hee Soo start to change her thought and not plotting further, it will be bearable to watch. I assume that she will try to protect the king, perhaps she will guard him, getting hit herself to protect the king. She can redeeem herself.

We have to see about that. HeeSoo may soon get herself in trouble again when she suggested to the queen that the grand prince be made a crown prince. I hope the writer will redeem HS character and stop making her dumber still 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

We have to see about that. HeeSoo may soon get herself in trouble again when she suggested to the queen that the grand prince be made a crown prince. I hope the writer will redeem HS character and stop making her dumber still 

From all her plans this one actually makes sense but it is a dangerous plan. I am sure the king thought of this too, to protect his nephew but he knows that his family won`t agree lightly. The Queen and the king don`t have children. He doesn`t have concubines either so they need a crown prince. I am sure we`ll see the Queen Dowager pushing for a concubine to bare a son. That takes time.

Hee Soo can`t do anything. The king is esential for the plan to succeed. When we had the scene with the king and his nephew, we saw that he treats him like a son, he teaches him the responsabilities as a royal family member.

The prince was already is danger but if king`s family members found out that the king wants to make Prince Munseong the Crown Prince, they will take actions. This will be the final event and will see how it will end for the king.

If Hee Soo will stand by the king, It is better later than never. I think the writer will redeem her and that`s fine but I still don`t like Hee Soo/Mong Woo. I blame the writer for that. 🤪

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

Shin Se Kyung Sheds Tears As Jo Jung Suk Tenderly Expresses His Love In “Captivating The King”

Feb 18, 2024
by S. Nam

tvN’s “Captivating the King” unveiled new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

Penned by “The Crowned Clown” writer Kim Sun Deok, “Captivating the King” tells the love story of King Yi In (Jo Jung Suk), a miserable monarch who feels empty inside despite his high position, and Kang Hee Soo (Shin Se Kyung), whose initial plot of revenge against him transforms into an unexpected attraction.

Spoilers

Previously, King Yi In rescued Kang Mong Woo (Kang Hee Soo disguised as a man) and continued to express his ardent love for her.

The newly released stills depict Kang Hee Soo having lost her usual composure while crying in front of Yi In. Although Kang Hee Soo unexpectedly sheds tears, King Yi In remains calm without a hint of surprise and calmly wipes away her tears.

As Kang Hee Soo faces Yi In, she continues to helplessly shed tears. Although Kang Hee Soo tried to suppress her feelings, she appears to be finally expressing her emotions, conveying her painful love. The scene raises questions about what happened between the two. In particular, viewers are curious to find out what choice Kang Hee Soo will make going forward.

captivating-the-king-1.jpeg

tvN shared, “In today’s (February 18) broadcast of episode 12, Yi In and Kang Mong Woo’s romance will reach its peak. In particular, the decision of Kang Mong Woo, who stands at the crossroads of love and revenge, will be depicted, so please anticipate.”

The next episode of “Captivating the King” will air on February 10 at 9:20 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1643210wpp/shin-se-kyung-sheds-tears-as-jo-jung-suk-tenderly-expresses-his-love-in-captivating-the-king

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching (February 17, 2024)

by DB Staff

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

DaebakGrits

Captivating the King: I don’t watch many saeguks because I loathe all the palace politics, but I started this drama for one reason, and one reason only: Jo Jung-seok. And I continued watching for… well, Jo Jung-seok. I love, love, love him, and he’s doing so well in his role as the king. I’m stocking up on tissues, though, because I can’t see this drama ending happily.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/02/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-february-17-2024/

For me it is the same. I started for Jo Jung Seok and I stayed for him too. 😀 I don`t mind palace politics in sageuks if they were done right and have a balance between them and everything else.

Everyone is curious how this drama will end. I think it will have a happy ending, as much it is possible. I am not thinking much about the ending. I want a good ending for the king. That`s all.

• Like 3

I just watched episode 12.

The best words of ep 12.

The King: "Do You have another lover waiting inside or there is an assasin hiding to kill me? " :w00t:

Those tears are becaming annoying. One minute she wants the king dead because she heard him talking to his uncle (believing the words despite claming that she can read the king like an open book) the next minute she doesn`t want him dead.

It was so obvious why the king said those words to his uncle. If she had trusted the king she would have realized why he played along with Park Jong-Hwan. She is a baduk player and suposed to see things from different perspective. Spoilers****I read that there are pictures of Hee soo in queen clothes (probably she will give an heir too)  so the drama will have a happy ending but I don`t care. She doesn`t deserve to be a queen. Whatever. It is good that the king will be happy. I hope Kang Hang Soon will come back because her daughter needs his guidance and love.

I liked the scene with the queen and her father and I am glad that she had a little comfort before she died. The little prince called her mother. 🥹

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

tvN’s “Captivating the King” maintained its position at No. 2 on this week’s drama list, while its leads Jo Jung Suk and Shin Se Kyung took No. 2 and No. 3 respectively on the actor list.

The top 10 TV dramas that generated the most buzz this week are as follows:

1. tvN “Marry My Husband”
  2. tvN “Captivating the King”
  3. MBC “Knight Flower”
  4. JTBC “Doctor Slump”
  5. JTBC “Queen of Divorce”
  6. KBS2 “Korea-Khitan War
  7. KBS2 “Love Song for Illusion
  8. KBS2 “Live Your Own Life
  9. MBC “Third Marriage
  10. SBS “Flex x Cop”

Meanwhile, the top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this week are as follows: 

1. Park Min Young (“Marry My Husband”)
  2. Jo Jung Suk (“Captivating the King”)
  3. Shin Se Kyung (“Captivating the King”)
  4. Song Ha Yoon (“Marry My Husband”)
  5. Na In Woo (“Marry My Husband”)
  6. BoA (“Marry My Husband”)
  7. Lee Yi Kyung (“Marry My Husband”)
  8. Park Hyung Sik (“Doctor Slump”)
  9. Honey Lee (“Knight Flower”)
  10. Park Shin Hye (“Doctor Slump”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1643271wpp/marry-my-husband-continues-perfect-6-week-streak-at-no-1-on-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings

• Like 1

11 hours ago, larus said:

For me it is the same. I started for Jo Jung Seok and I stayed for him too. 😀 I don`t mind palace politics in sageuks if they were done right and have a balance between them and everything else.

Yeah, I love JJS as king, and I stayed for him too. I agree that the best couple in this drama is the king and his faithful bodyguard

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 12! :).

“Korea-Khitan War” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet As “Doctor Slump” Wraps Up 1st Half On Rise

“Korea-Khitan War” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet As “Doctor Slump” Wraps Up 1st Half On Rise

tvN’s “Captivating the King” also saw a significant increase in viewership last night, rising to an average nationwide rating of 6.7 percent for its latest episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1643311wpp/korea-khitan-war-soars-to-its-highest-ratings-yet-as-doctor-slump-wraps-up-1st-half-on-rise

• Thanks 2

Those tears are becaming annoying. One minute she wants the king dead because she heard him talking to his uncle (believing the words despite claming that she can read the king like an open book) the next minute she doesn`t want him dead.

It was so obvious why the king said those words to his uncle. If she had trusted the king she would have realized why he played along with Park Jong-Hwan. She is a baduk player and suposed to see things from different perspective

The drama needs to give Hee Soo some brains. ASAP She needs to realize by now who her enemies are, that it isn't the king but the people telling her to go against the king. She was educated by her father, she is a baduk player and supposedly the best, but why the drama makers are happy in making her stupid is puzzling. If a romance between the king and Heesoo is the objective make Hee Soo someone an intelligent and astute king can appreciate, a woman worth having a crown on her head. The one character who is making the drama worth watching is the king.

• Like 3

It was so obvious why the king said those words to his uncle. If she had trusted the king she would have realized why he played along with Park Jong-Hwan. She is a baduk player and suposed to see things from different perspective. Spoilers****I read that there are pictures of Hee soo in queen clothes (probably she will give an heir too)  so the drama will have a happy ending but I don`t care. She doesn`t deserve to be a queen. Whatever. It is good that the king will be happy. I hope Kang Hang Soon will come back because her daughter needs his guidance and love.

Agreed! she was easily swayed by DalHa and the king's words to PJH but her heart is telling her otherwise. Can someone just shake some sense into her. 

I'm thinking that maybe the king was testing her when he said those words to PJH. It was loud enough to be heard from inside. When PJH left the king went in and was looking for her. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

Agreed! she was easily swayed by DalHa and the king's words to PJH but her heart is telling her otherwise. Can someone just shake some sense into her. 

I'm thinking that maybe the king was testing her when he said those words to PJH. It was loud enough to be heard from inside. When PJH left the king went in and was looking for her. 

I think the king was testing her. The young prince whom the king wanted to be CP, may have made Hee Soo think or see the king differently or at least consider looking deeper into her father's political destruction and death . During her conversation with the young prince she asked if the prince was not afraid of the king, the young prince said that he was afraid of the king when the king gets angry because he did something wrong that was harmful to the king but most of the time, he trusted  that the king will protect him, even when he heard the palace maids gossip that the king will one day harm. The prince said that his uncle loves him and will protect him and even the uncle who was secretly plotting against the king. The king so far has demonstrated his love for his nephew, allowing him to learn Baduk, making time to play with him and even making him the CP. If this romance of Heeso and the king were to be saved it is about time that Hee Soo gets a brain and see what the young prince sees in the king, that her enemy is not the king but the people who wants to harm the king. It is about time that she uses the strategies of the Baduk player in her thinking and her actions. She needs to verify her father's history, who his political enemies were, who and why his father got killed.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 4:24 PM, larus said:

After Kim Myung-Ha`s father died, the villains were not impressive. They are mostly annoying. 

Court Lady Dong is the only one who is interesting.

Yes, i agree with you about Court Lady Dong. One other character that is consistent in this drama is Chu Dal Ha. He feels strongly about his revenge against the king unlike Myung Ha. I can only see Myung Ha's anger towards the king at the end of episode 12 omg where has he been for 10 episodes. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Yes, i agree with you about Court Lady Dong. One other character that is consistent in this drama is Chu Dal Ha. He feels strongly about his revenge against the king unlike Myung Ha. I can only see Myung Ha's anger towards the king at the end of episode 12 omg where has he been for 10 episodes. 

Consistant but one dimensional. Same as Myung Ha. He did nothing for 10 episodes and now he is angry. 🫠

@imgreatgal, @lila21, I don`t know about testing her. When he arrived, he did not expected his uncle there. He had to calm down his worries because he and his mother would have plotted something. But I think the king knows that Mong Woo heard them.

Park Jong-Hwan and Queen Dowager wants to maintain  the power and control the king but I undertsand their point of view regardless prince crown. With few exception, all court officials are there for themselves and their interests.

So quickly some of them went behind the crown prince in hopes for gaining more powers. Both the king and the little prince are in danger. I trust Lee In to come with a good plan to control these power hungry officials.

I am glad that the king has wise people like Kim Je-Nam at his side like the former king had Kang Hang-Soon.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

People are frustrated with the plot but they still have a sense of humor. 🙂

From MyDramalist site:

" They better make that one eye into no eyes for the next episode".

" Female Lead said she can read the king like an open book but she forgot her reading glasses somewhere."

That last one was gold.

=:hwaiting2:

• LOL 3

2 hours ago, larus said:

Female Lead said she can read the king like an open book but she forgot her reading glasses somewhere."

May be she has been dressing like a man far too long that she forgot she is a woman who is in love with the king😬

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

The scene that touched me most was the young Prince after the king made him the CP. He went to the ill queen to bow and said, "now I can really call you mother". The sick queen was relieved and said now she can rest and died just as the Prince seemed so happy to tell the Queen that she was officially his mother. I cried to see the young CP crying his heart out. The child actor was so good. It was supposed to be a day of family celebration for the young prince. I was yelling at the screen, can someone hug the young CP?

• Like 2

Is there any chance for Hee Soo had got pregnat from THAT night, this would make her free even from trying to take a criminal to kill the king (in this storyline we know that she always will be saved even when she acts dumb) and by this she would be promoted to the King's new spouse therefore NEW Queen and the king revealing that her father is actualy alive this whole time what would make her hate for him lessen. 

The script is hidding her real name and filiation intencionaly to create that surprise moment for the couple?

• Like 2