[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] A Date With The Future 照亮你

Prettysup

• 3 weeks later...
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] A Date With The Future 照亮你 starring William Chan & Zhang Ruo Nan - Premieres on 2 June, 2023
14 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Watched up to 5 and so far so good for me.

It's a modern drama where she knows what she wants and she's going after it, no holds barred.

Yeah the pace is good and the firefighters rescue scenes are well done too. The FL is not giving up chasing the ML haha.

Fxrs6TbaYAIlwcb?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

• Prettysup changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] A Date With The Future 照亮你 starring William Chan & Zhang Ruo Nan

The dog is a star LoL. Xu Lai could pass off for Janice Wu's twin. This drama checks out all the usual tropes.

The jealous work colleague .. the female lead who is diligent but bubbly .. and for this genre - the slo-mo scenes ha-ha; I just can't. 

I'm just 3 ep. in but it's alright. William Chan looks average and boyish in certain angles but boy when he starts to smile .. oh my heart LoL. 

Am not too crazy 'bout the fl as she acts like a teen as most of fls do in these dramas and I don't understand why. She's slightly more tolerable than Janice Wu though. And her other admirer the childhood friend guy LoL Mr. Huo(?) he's quite bland in comparison.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

The dog is a star LoL. Xu Lai could pass off for Janice Wu's twin. This drama checks out all the usual tropes.

The jealous work colleague .. the female lead who is diligent but bubbly .. and for this genre - the slo-mo scenes ha-ha; I just can't. 

I'm just 3 ep. in but it's alright. William Chan looks average and boyish in certain angles but boy when he starts to smile .. oh my heart LoL. 

Am not too crazy 'bout the fl as she acts like a teen as most of fls do in these dramas and I don't understand why. She's slightly more tolerable than Janice Wu though. And her other admirer the childhood friend guy LoL Mr. Huo(?) he's quite bland in comparison.

I have to agree with your opinion on the 2nd male lead.

I haven't seen any improvement in his acting since Forever and Ever.

Then again, maybe he'll do better here, we never know.

• Like 1

@Prettysup for some reason, I had this thing about him in Novoland Pearl Eclipse and seeing him here, now again, in a modern day drama, it's much more enjoyable because he can let his hair down (not that he has any long hair here), laugh, look foolish, smile and omo, those dimples :fullofhearts:

As for the girl, I can imagine reading a comment somewhere (not that I have, mind you), that she is aggressive and that she makes others accountable for her decisions which is like passing the buck to someone else (I spent 10 years of my life on you, now you have to make it up to me). And me thinking to myself "Erh why does someone else have to be responsible for a decision you made?")

• Like 2

@SC2019

OMGooossshhh!

I so agree with you regarding Novoland Pearl Eclipse.

I had this really big crush on him there!

As for the actions of the female lead, yes, I hate to think how she's been obsessing over him for ten years without actually getting to know him personally. 

• Like 2

@ElleSor

And it goes both ways - whether the pursuer be male or female; it's really uncomfortable. Idk why these people think it's attractive(?) or even admirable LoL to go after someone who obviously isn't ready.

I've seen this in many k-dramas too. Where they have an unrequited crush for 7 years etc. 

Guess there's truth to the forbidden fruit theory. We always want what we can't have. Which also make me ask what happens next when you finally get the object of your affection. Does it end 'cause you already attained your goal? 

• Like 3

@Latte_Anyday A large part of me, thinks that the only reason the ML gives in to her finally is it's a big boost to his ego to have someone come after him like that, claiming that it's been a 10-year kinda-obsession and doing what it takes to get his attention. I mean if I were the guy, I would be smitten too, and she's not bad looking and is so sincere about it all. 

As for her, she comes across as aggressive, there are definitely masculine traits in her like how she goes after him despite him saying no, confesses in public, isn't afraid to speak her mind, etc. So I'd say it's as if she were to win him over, then the drama promises a happy ever after.

Spoiler

Though based on Ep19 trailer, I felt really sorry for the 2nd ML and agreed with what he said "I spent the last 10 years doting on you and caring for you. I can't let someone else treat you like that."

The context of this is: ML seems to have gotten injured and is playing noble idiocy and is trying to avoid her in the hospital. And our heroic FL is standing in the rain, telling the ML who is avoiding her that she will stand there and wait for him." She is clearly afraid to lose him and when the 2nd ML who comes after her with an umbrella to take her away while saying that he can't stand her being treated like that, I couldn't help but agree. How can she let herself be treated like that? Even if it's because the ML is trying to push her away, perhaps because things don't look promising for him and he doesn't want to burden her. But seriously, to inanely stand in the rain like that while the ML is thinking "I will be cruel to be kind"? I shudder to think what he will do in the future if faced with a similar situation, he will treat her the same way and she will come chasing after him again?

@ElleSor 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I sometimes wonder what scriptwriters are thinking when they write scripts like that - makes the FL look really immature and he is an addiction to her (I watched a YT video about a scientist explaining how men/women pine after someone who has rejected them or whom they have broken up with, and it's an addiction just like how people are addicted to drugs as they tracked the activity in the brain and it's the same region).

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] A Date With The Future 照亮你, premiered June 2, starring William Chan & Zhang Ruo Nan

@SC2019

I haven't gotten to the drama yet as there's just way too many on my to-watch-list at the moment. And I like William Chan he's charismatic with a winning smile LoL, but the plot is too cliched. And it's not compelling me to watch. I have the same problem with "Here We Meet Again" also.

I mean the ml is pretty popular with the ladies, I don't think he'd be easily swayed y'know? 'Cause he's got options LoL. Sure, it's flattering but if he's not ready then... no amount of wooing would win 'im over, unless they were the 2 last standing individuals on earth LoL.

I think they want to show how loyalty pays in the end I guess? That patience always wins.