Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

Hi everyone! I can’t help feeling frustrated when I am missing so much because I work too hard and don’t have enough time to visit this  forum. It’s really hard to catch up with you, guys!

Anyway, I am happy to let you know that, besides working like crazy, I was able to translate into Romanian the subtitles for the video with SIK’s interview with tvN “People Inside” of 22 April 2013 and post everything on my Baby Blog.

I am deeply grateful to KonaBeans and Metaltiger, and everyone at GeNtLe Hawaii for sending me the English subs and allowing me to use them.

THANK YOU! MULTUMESC!

Hey celiap. it does seem work and personal life do get out away from here..but thanks to soompi we can look back and still see what's been going on….while we are away!?   :D   from photos, news, events.. ..v   and don't work too hard!  Much like songie, me, kb..etc..  ;p

Oh coolness..Songie even couldn't race..he still managed to attended it..ONE way or the other!!  So cute..and look at the little girl..should we blame her..hehe   Think he's lost weight here!   So guess the jeju special is done..already??  :)  lol..aww I want him to sign my shirt!  Now don't remembered if any of you got one your shirts..or back!  ;p  
 Thanks much, KB!!!!

Waves, to metal, ard. mae..,….   

5128485570_a08d296382_z.jpg

4772125513_0da4346d53_z.jpg

You're welcome, celiap.  Thanks to you, SIK will always be loved in Romania. 
Happy belated birthday Hwdj!
Our namja is definitely getting around.  He is choosing his appearances that promote his personal beliefs in physical fitness and Korean cultural identity.  Bravo for him!

Guest sig-Hadise

Hello Dear Sikers
ardently said:
Pardon me, Sikers.  You know how impulsive and transparent I am when it comes to my thoughts and feelings.  Honestly, I still have a clouded mind of what's happening then and now.  You all may doubt my feelings for our man, after reading this comment.  But believe it or not, he's still my man and nothing can change it.  Sometimes, in real life, you also misunderstand your loved one, but that doesn't mean you lost your love for that person.  A loving heart always forgives and that's what I'm trying to do now.  My aching heart needs a time to heal and revive its wavering passion, so I can write another passionate poem for him again.

Song Il-Kook says History is a Must
02-Jun-2013
03214842.jpg

Actor Song Il-Kookwill support a campaign to make history a mandatory subject in Korean schools. 
Seo Kyung-duk of Sungshin Women’s University said yesterday that he will organize a campaign to collect signatures from one million people to support the effort.
“It is very worrisome that young people have a basic lack of understanding about history,” Seo said. “As there is no present without history, the most important thing to Korea’s future is providing proper history education.”
He said he will start collecting signatures tomorrow at Gwanghwamun Plaza in central Seoul and then travel to other cities across the nation. 
He will also target people descended from Koreans overseas in New York, Tokyo and Beijing. 
To support Seo, Song Il-Kook has decided to offer the first signature. 
“I hope this campaign will make Korean history a mandatory subject in schools,” he said. The two activists also worked together when Song appeared on the front page of the Wall Street Journal in an advertisement to promote makgeolli. 
By Lee Sun-min

Source: http://koreajoongangdaily 

I am surprised to know that History is not a curriculum/subject in Korean education.  All the while I thought that Koreans love their history and culture, so they must have studied much about them.  In the Philippines, as early as in our elementary grades, we are already taught about our culture and origins. English is also a subject from nursery to college.  During High School, we have Philippine History and World History, Philippines and English Literature.  We even had Spanish subjects when I studied in college.  I'm glad that the medium of teaching in the lower grades is changed to Pilipino, which is our native tongue.  During my time, it was in English.  
Sik is very patriotic.  He excels his colleagues when it comes to that.  I guess his role in "Jumong" sank deep in his mind that his awareness for the love of his country was triggered.

@Ardently, not that SIK rejected "Immortal Lee Soon Shin".  He got the role, but right before shooting, they revoked the offer.  It was painful for him, and rumor was because his Mother was involved in politics.  After that, he got the offer in TOE, and it led to EOTS.  SIK said in the interview that it was fate.  I'll find that article and post it here.  I'm pretty sure after Jumong and KOTW, he "rejected" plenty of historical drama offers.
Here's the link from Wille's post.  Not much more than what she already posted.
http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/06/pann-passed-up-roles.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt from "Haesin, an Interview by Kyodo News"Translated from Japanese to English by Xiaomeihuili 2010.

Caught a chance by the help of three women

EOTS_KB_61.jpg“It is said that in one’s life, there are three chances. I think this is one of these three chances.” This is the words that Song Il Kook said at the completion party of Haesin. As a matter of fact, he got an informal appointment as a solo leading actor Yi Sun-sin in the weekend drama “Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-sin”(2004, KBS), which is broadcasted by other TV station at the same time as Haesin aired and was very popular. He prepared for this biggest role of his acting career since his debut, and finished the trainings of fundamental military arts skills, horse-riding, swordsmanship, archery etc..But he had to hand over this role at the stage of almost all the cast has been settled. And the rumor had been spread as an account of this leave. “ TV station worried about the influence of political activity of his mother Kim Eul-dong.”

“At that time, I resented my mother momentarily. But now, I think I was not good enough to do that role. Only because I did not play Yi Sun-sin at that time, I could appear in “Terms of Endearment” and “Haesin” continuously, and solidify my position as an actor. And what is more, if I ever played the role Yi Sun-sin, I could not play “Jumong”(2006, MBC), I think.”, Song Il Kook said. He is a person who thinks very optimistic.

He who deserved a pain in the casting, in due course the lucky chance by the casting comes around. By the sudden leave of Ji Sung in “Terms of Endearment”, the director’s wife recommended Song Il Kook to the director, who was worried about the new cast. It is because she was strongly impressed by Song Il Kook in the morning drama “Album of Life”(2002, KBS). He played the role of mean husband who tortured his wife after he had known his wife’s past. But he gained much popularity by housewives, which was a main target of the drama, and led the drama’s popularity.

And in Haesin as a next project, the drama staffs were in trouble about the cast. Han Jae-suk was appointed as Yeom Jang and already finished the photo-shooting but he has to enter the military all of sudden. At that time the draft evasion by show business people became a big issue in the society of South Korea. And the staffs were looking for the actor for Yeom Jang, the rival of Jang Bo-go. At that time, it was Chae Si-ra who strongly recommended Song Il Kook, co-starred with her in “Terms of Endearment”.

And one more hidden person of merit was the wife of director Kang Il-soo, the famous screenwriter of  “Be Strong, Geum-soon!”(2005, MBC), Lee Jung-sun. As director Kang had gone to China earlier for the shooting, he could not see the Song Il Kook who developed the acting skill in “Terms of Endearment”, and the director asked his wife an opinion. She said “ What are you saying? Now in South Korea, he becomes very popular. It is better for you to hurry up the casting.” Thus, by the help of three women, he was appointed continuously in two dramas, so he may used the word “chances of a lifetime”.

:)..thanks Metal, getting used to all the greetings everydays!!    It's good to be liked/loved in other area/countries..  and still is today??   lol..I meant for songie..not for me….  ;p  

Very cute creation SIG….seen a few photos videos like these..from book pages, frames..etc..  

Thanks KB..for the history must live on…by songie!!  It's so true..history will always be here!!  It's part of life!  :)

Hey ard, yeah..think korean isn't very into history,…least there own, well with still war with the north..might be the reasons..  but, glad they have opened up more..on drama/movies/documentaries..etc..for more reasons..they should!  :)  

Awww..thanks Will on the rolls updates..yeah can understand not going for this one, too familiar stories…trend!  I kind of like to see a completely different history story..not a *jumong* family.?  Pretty much..what's been lately??  Since Jumong…from past/present/future of all jumong families.    Let others do some of it too..JUST saying. :)  And still not bad idea.... :) 

5128485528_885de0d43a_z.jpg

@Kona, thanks for posting that interview.
I think what happened was a blessing in disguise for him.  I'm just curious on how speculative the Korean producers are on matters of politics, etc. that they even affect a celebrity's career.  Unlike here in the U.S. and even in my native country, bad and good publicity is still considered as publicity.  The more people talk about you, the better and producers get more interested in giving you a project for being popular in the media.  However, I still believe that after the Dokdo incident, SIK did not receive any good drama/movie offer from producers, judging from the YiSung incident.  I guess he should leave everything to fate again.  Whatever project he has at the moment, as long as he believes on himself and performs well, he could start over.  With all the good deeds he's been doing, I'm pretty sure God will give him all His blessings as a reward and help him to pull through.

Hi, dear SIKers!
Thank you, dear Kona, for articles and pictures! I'm also intrigued, Koreans don't study History in school? On the other part, studying History is something - a theory - but the real problem today is the textbook you study after, the system and the context. Maybe the textbook is not well structured and has many errors, who knows? Some European countries are studying a very briefly and incomplete general European history, not their own countries' history - at least in Romania many teachers and cultural personalities are worried about this and advocate for a serious study of national history in all school cycles. Maybe this is a problem in Korea too; I don't know and here is only my personal opinion.
Dear Ardent, if SIK had got the part in Immortal... he wouldn't have played in TOE;  he'd probably star in Immortal, but TOE wouldn't be the same without him and Haeshin wouldn't exist. So, all evil for good :D 

942210_561153913924660_1959503353_n.jpg

Big waves to all SIKers! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Love you!

Guest elisabeta

Hello SIK-ers!
Thank you for your post. I believe as Ardently , SIK's comeback  must be valuable for those who love him.We waited patiently.
I hardly watch without subtitles Album of Life. Now Link18.
I enjoy watching the Family's  Honor.I love this series. I made ​​a good mood.I watch and When a Man ​​Loves.I like Song Seung Heon.It's beautiful, handsome.
But does not exceed SIK....
hqdefault.jpg