[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

11 drams to air in 2021 are the most anticipated

Pachinko

images-77.jpg

Unlike the others, the drama starring Lee Min Ho will be in Korean, Japanese and English. This is due to the fact that the content of the story tells about the families of Korean immigrants scattered across Japan, Korea and the United States. "Pachinko" is a drama based on Lee Minjin's bestseller of the same name.

https://digstraksi.com/11-drama-yang-tayang-di-tahun-2021-ini-paling-ditunggu/

• Like 8

On 12/19/2020 at 4:54 AM, Nikaa94 said:

I’m so looking forward to watching Pachinko and getting to know Hansu though LMH’s amazing acting. When can we see Pachinko? Hope they release more information. Everything is so secretive :lol:

@Nikaa94 

haii!nika!the production had exclusive possession of the flat.Pachinko will soon be released for public comment

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

5 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

11 drams to air in 2021 are the most anticipated

Pachinko

Unlike the others, the drama starring Lee Min Ho will be in Korean, Japanese and English. This is due to the fact that the content of the story tells about the families of Korean immigrants scattered across Japan, Korea and the United States. "Pachinko" is a drama based on Lee Minjin's bestseller of the same name.

https://digstraksi.com/11-drama-yang-tayang-di-tahun-2021-ini-paling-ditunggu/

pachinko should be removed from that list beside the other kdramas. the journalist doesnt seem to know that pachinko is a hollywood drama with asian actors not a kdrama. not that i degrade kdrama or anything and to the opposite i love it. its just not fair to put something where it doesnt belong to

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

I thought pachinko would be released in the first half :sad1:

@leeminhosny thanks for sharing 

It is said this article Yoon Yeo Jung's movie "Minari"'s story is also "it is a record of separation used by three generations of families who immigrated to Arkansas in the US in the 1980s"  Story looks like Pachinko.

And YYJ was selected as the Best Supporting Actress Award winner at the LA Critics Association 2020 Awards held in Los Angeles.Movie receive so mauch praise in USA.

Let's hope more for Pachinko :thumbsup:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

It is said this article Yoon Yeo Jung's movie "Minari"'s story is also "it is a record of separation used by three generations of families who immigrated to Arkansas in the US in the 1980s"  Story looks like Pachinko.

And YYJ was selected as the Best Supporting Actress Award winner at the LA Critics Association 2020 Awards held in Los Angeles.Movie receive so mauch praise in USA.

Let's hope more for Pachinko :thumbsup:

yes, let’s hope more for pachinko! Pachinko’s story is really good and Minoz say that Hansu’s character has many layers and well written. We will get the best results for sure. Looking forward to LMH’s amazing performance. :approves:

• Like 5

Diaspora of Koreans

The drama 'Pachinko' turns the clock a step further than 'Minari'. It is a story of four generations from the early 1900s to the re-emergence of Korean residents in Japan in the 1980s. It is also the history of Korea and the time of distress for immigrants. It is based on a novel of the same name by Korean-American Lee Min-jin. It has gained popularity as former U.S. President Barack Obama praised the novel as "It attracts you from the first sentence." In 2017, the New York Times chose Pachinko as its book of the year.

Apple TV decided to turn 'Pachinko' into a drama thanks to favorable reviews in the U.S. The timing of the broadcast is undecided, but it is expected to be released in the second half of next year. Actor Lee Min-ho plays the role of Han Soo, who is a married man and meets an innocent young girl Sun-ja. Kim Min-ha plays the young Sun-ja, while the casting of Yoon Yeo-jung has been confirmed for the old Sun-ja. 

The narrative, which begins with the disabled fisherman, who is from Yeongdo, Busan, is simple but resonant. This is because the value of the family shines in the oppression of history and tradition. The harsh history of Japanese colonial rule cracks individuals, but it does not break down.

"Pachinko," a game in which obstacles in the maze determine the outcome, is a metaphor that symbolizes the discrete. Writer Lee Min-jin was born in Korea in 1968 and emigrated to Queens, New York with her family at the age of seven. 

https://www.mk.co.kr/news/culture/view/2020/12/1311214/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 most anticipated Korean drams in 2021

December 23, 2020

1. Lee Min Ho will play in Pachinko

landscape-popmama-800-x-420-2020-08-07t0

The last Korean drama starring Lee Min Ho in 2021 is Pachinko. This drama will air on Apple TV + next year.

As for the exact timing of its launch, the team and producer have not been made public. This drama will be Lee Min Ho's comeback after The King: Eternal Monarch in 2020.

Lee Min Ho will compete in acting with various Asian artists such as Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Kim Min Ha, Soji Arai and Kaho Minami. Filming for the drama Pachinko began in October 2020.

Translation from inonesian google

https://www.popmama.com/life/health/putri-syifa-nurfadilah/drama-korea-paling-ditunggu-di-2021-ada-kim-seon-ho-dan-han-so-hee/2

• Like 4
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Is Apple TV+ Entering Korea? 

While Disney Plus, a Disney version of the OTT service, has predicted its entry into the Korean market next year, some predict that Apple TV+ will also come in.

Recently, Apple TV+ content has not only supported Korean subtitles, but also hired related personnel and produced original content starring Korean actors, which is spreading the prospect that Apple TV+ is set to enter Korea.

Apple TV Plus is an online streaming service that was launched in November 2019. It is a subscription-type service with a monthly subscription fee of $4.99 (about 6,500 won. It is relatively cheaper than other OTT media. Up to 6 people per account can be used if family service function is used. The service is available through Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Apple released Apple TV+ in about 100 countries last year, but Korea was excluded. Although the service has not been officially released in Korea, it is possible to watch it in Korea. If you log in with a U.S. account, you can use Apple TV Plus in Korea.

In the meantime, as of August 31 this year, the Korean-language user interface (UI) was updated on Apple TV+, and Korean subtitles began to be added around the original contents.

Apple TV+ has not had Korean subtitles since its launch in 2019. Apple TV+ was available in Korea, but it did not mean much to use in Korea because Korean subtitles were not provided.

However, according to Apple's recent moves, there are many signs that it is strengthening its Korean service.

In August, a notice was also posted to hire an editor who will be in charge of video business related to Apple TV+. Apple said in the announcement, "We are looking for an editor who will lead the programming of video content in Seoul, South Korea, with a focus on finding movies and contents."

Earlier in February, the company posted a recruitment announcement to take charge of the video business in Korea. "We want talented and innovative people to expand our video business in Korea," Apple said.

The scenario of entering Korea seems to be getting more encouraged by the news that the Apple TV Plus original series starring Korean actors and directors will be produced.

"Pachinko," based on a novel by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin under the same name as the original Apple TV+ series, will mainly star Korean actors such as Lee Min-ho, Yoon Yeo-jung and Jung Eun-chae. Pachinko began filming in Korea last October. 

Apple TV+'s move is seen not only to provide services to Korea but also actively apply Korean content to global services like Netflix.

With Disney Plus officially announcing its entry into Korea recently, if Apple TV+ lands in Korea, the competition over the domestic OTT market is expected to intensify. It is heard that e-commerce company Coupang is about to enter OTT market.

"If Apple TV+ enters the Korean market, it will definitely be a threat to domestic companies," an industry source said. "It is a threat to native Korean companies because it has a lot of contents as a global company." 

Some in the industry say that although Apple's entry is threatening, it will also have a positive effect on the market. "More consumers are subscribing to various platforms depending on the contents rather than using one OTT platform," an industry source said. "It is threatening in the beginning, but considering the entire market, it could be an opportunity for quality content to be created and Korean content to expand overseas."

http://www.digitaltoday.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=257960

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

I have finally finished reading Pachinko!  I have a question that I'll put in a spoiler in case anyone hasn't finished reading the novel.

Spoiler

Does it make sense that Noa commits suicide?  He had a wife and 3 kids.  Do you think anything would have been different had Sunja told Noa who is biological father was when Noa was young?  I think it might have made a difference.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I have finally finished reading Pachinko!  I have a question that I'll put in a spoiler in case anyone hasn't finished reading the novel.

Hide contents

Does it make sense that Noa commits suicide?  He had a wife and 3 kids.  Do you think anything would have been different had Sunja told Noa who is biological father was when Noa was young?  I think it might have made a difference.  

Spoiler

hi @CarolynH i havent finshed the book yet but i did reach that part of the story. im not really good in giving character reviews but all i can say is in my opinion Noa is the most selfish character in the story even more than hansu. that's the feeling i got from him. he only thinks of himself without caring about the others around him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Hide contents

Hi! That part of the book impacted me too. I am going to put my reply under spoiler too. 

Spoiler

I think Noa was a really intelligent character and he knew that something was weird with Hansu, because the relationship between Hansu and Mozasu was good but not as special as his. But he refused to believe it, until he was directly confronted with that fact and had no alternative than to react to that. And he does react in a extreme way. In this book about discrimination we see that is not only Japanese who discriminate Koreans, we see several types of discrimination, and Noa is a part of that too, because he reacts to the discrimination he lived as a child turning into a person who discriminates Koreans when he is an adult. And that is why he tries to pass a Japanese. He doesn't harm Korean people but he is ashamed of Koreans and he doesn't want to be related to them. 

In my country we have some problems with nationalities and it is quite common to see how the children of the first generation, who were severely discriminated, tend to sway to the other side and feel strongly about the new adopted nacionality and became ashamed of their origins, so I think the author here did a good job. 

Was it extreme to commit suicide? In my opinion, it was. But since Noa's mother has been seen with him, he probably thought that is a matter of time for people of work and his family to know that, in fact, he is not Japanese but Korean. There is a good chance that most of his people don't care for that, because they know him as a human and a worker and value him for himself. But is him who cannot forgive himself for being Korean and not Japanese. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1