[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Forever and Ever 一生一世

sugarplum892

@Bojun this drama, like the novel, is a slow-burn story, like aging wine. I summarize it by saying Shi Yi is devoted to Zhousheng Chen from the get go because of her memories of One and Only (flashbacks in Forever and Ever). They could not become a couple in One and Only despite their obvious devotion to each other.

Hence, Forever and Ever is Shi Yi pursuing Zhousheng Chen to make up for it.  He, on the other hand, is not sure why (he has no memories of their past connection).  When he realizes he is truly in love with her I believe the drama blossoms.  I think the charm of the main leads is the awkward shy personality of ZSC and the bold, confident air of Shi Yi.  They play off each other beautifully, always protecting each other from outside interference.   

I find myself rewatching this drama from Ep 14 to the end because of their warm, sweet love. (I fast forward thru some side plots).

I can only encourage you to keep watching.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bojun said:

Currently in episode 8 and finding it a bit dragging. But hopefully their very slow burn romance improves in the next episodes.

I was actually planning to watch One and Only and didn't realize it had the same ML. Where the "previous life" scenes they showed in Forever and Ever from that drama? 

Yes!!

One and Only was their previous life.

I love it more than Forever and Ever.

Hahaha!

Spoiler

Anyway, it's a heartbreaker so watch with caution. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tantaran808 said:

@Bojun this drama, like the novel, is a slow-burn story, like aging wine. I summarize it by saying Shi Yi is devoted to Zhousheng Chen from the get go because of her memories of One and Only (flashbacks in Forever and Ever). They could not become a couple in One and Only despite their obvious devotion to each other.

Hence, Forever and Ever is Shi Yi pursuing Zhousheng Chen to make up for it.  He, on the other hand, is not sure why (he has no memories of their past connection).  When he realizes he is truly in love with her I believe the drama blossoms.  I think the charm of the main leads is the awkward shy personality of ZSC and the bold, confident air of Shi Yi.  They play off each other beautifully, always protecting each other from outside interference.   

I find myself rewatching this drama from Ep 14 to the end because of their warm, sweet love. (I fast forward thru some side plots).

I can only encourage you to keep watching.

@tantaran808 thanks for the information. I'm currently almost finished with ep 11 and looks like ep 14 onwards is more interesting.

I understand ZC shyness but it is getting to the point that it is irritating. I mean they got their marriage certificate but it is Shi Yi telling him how he should be congratulating his wife. Even their first kiss in the car was initiated by Shi Yi. 

I'm also fast forwarding scenes especially those between ZC sister and the lawyer. At this point my two most hated characters are the younger step brother and the step mom of course.  

8 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Yes!!

One and Only was their previous life.

I love it more than Forever and Ever.

Hahaha!

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, it's a heartbreaker so watch with caution. 

I surmise One and Only didn't have a happy ending because of the flashback of Shi Yi jumping from a high wall, thus explaining her acrophobia.

I prefer Forever and Ever to One and Only because the characters, to me, are more human.  They openly show their insecurities, fear, and absolute devotion to each another.

I like how the socially inept ZSC reveals his inner strength and steel-like determination that overpowers any opposition, true to his “Changfeng” nickname.  But he still admits that he is helpless when it comes to dealing with Shi Yi.

@Bojun The no kissing rule is a rumor, never officially confirmed.  But Ren Jailun is married and has a son.  It is said that he limits kissing scenes in consideration of his wife.  Based on BTS footage, he has actually kissed the leading lady in Glory of Tang Dynasty and Forever and Ever.  However, he has been criticized for his tepid kissing.  He’s known to use his eyes and facial expressions to convey his feelings.  One and Only is a good example of intense attraction between the two leads without any kissing.

1 hour ago, tantaran808 said:

@Bojun The no kissing rule is a rumor, never officially confirmed.  But Ren Jailun is married and has a son.  It is said that he limits kissing scenes in consideration of his wife.  Based on BTS footage, he has actually kissed the leading lady in Glory of Tang Dynasty and Forever and Ever.  However, he has been criticized for his tepid kissing.  He’s known to use his eyes and facial expressions to convey his feelings.  One and Only is a good example of intense attraction between the two leads without any kissing.

Okay got that.

Definitely getting better in ep 14 as they ended up hugging each other while sleeping in bed and ZSC comforting Shi Yi after the car window breaking incident.

But I hope there will be less scenes in the succeeding episodes showing how socially inept and having almost no knowledge in terms of relationship the ML is.

Granted there may be people like him in the real world, I just feel it is getting too awkward and unrealistic considering they are already legally married.

8 hours ago, tantaran808 said:

@Bojunyes, I agree there’s a lot of filler that

doesn’t have any purpose.  It’s more interesting as the plot against Shi Yi puts her in danger.

Hmmm plot against Shi Yi. Now that's interesting.

I had a few laughs on the following episode. I can totally relate when Shi Yi kept on pulling the blanket in the bed and I can't believe ZSC was still thinking about flower girls on their wedding while Shi Yi was wearing the sexy lingerie and talking about "wanting children". 

ZSC saying I'm ready was another one because it's usually the girls saying that. Lol

• LOL 1

Finally finished the drama during the weekend and whilst entertaining this isn't my cup of tea. The first episode was a bit different with the girl initiating the contact with the guy and I thought whoa this looks good. Sadly I didn't feel that way for most of the drama. It ended up too dragging and could have been better by being a few episodes shorter (i.e. not showing those filler episodes who's main objective seem to be to give every character screen time). I was skipping a lot of scenes in the early to mid 20s episodes and wanted to just watch the final episode, but good thing it started to get more interesting when the younger sister told Shi Yi the truth. IMHO the best episodes were the last three with ZSC's devotion breaking the barrier of hate of Shi Yi's mother and having Shi Yi taken care off without knowing when and if she will wake up. 

My main gripes in the final minutes of the last episode was why they didn't show the wedding scene, ZSC still doesn't know the rituals to complete their marriage (his shyness was okay in the initial episodes but at this point is was just plain annoying) and seriously no final kiss because Shi Yi decided to say she's pregnant (she could have said that after the kiss). What were those useless scenes showing the banquet and of the young one's trying to frank the newly weds.

I've decided not to watch the period prequel because of the above. I still liked Bai Lu's acting so will look for other dramas except for the prequel.