[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

On 8/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, Myseostar said:

Cute:hwaiting2:

@Myseostar Thank you for sharing this cute interaction. LBH being representative of answering difficult question hehe. :D

OSEN

'Concrete Utopia' tops Kinolites Index 92%..."2nd place for 'Smugglers."

0004900589_001_20230803093605379.jpg?type=w430View Source

The movie "Concrete Utopia," which will be released on the 9th of this month, recorded 92% of the Kinolites index.

According to the tally of Kinolites, an OTT integrated search and content recommendation app, on the 3rd, the Kinolites index surged from 80% to 92.59% (as of August 1) after the general preview of the movie "Concrete Utopia" starring Lee Byung-hun, Park Bo-young, and Park Seo-joon.

The Kinolites rating index is characterized by securing public confidence by reflecting only the evaluation of certified members who watched more than 300 contents and left reviews to prevent rating manipulation and terrorist acts.

Accordingly, "Concrete Utopia" has settled as the No. 1 rating among Korean films "Big Four" this summer.Among the four works, second place is "Secretary" (director Ryu Seung-wan), followed by "Unofficial Operation" (director Kim Sung-hoon) and "The Moon" (director Kim Yong-hwa).

Immediately after the premiere, the Kinolites community also received a lot of favorable reviews and related stories about "concrete utopia," such as "You showed an unexpected story neatly," "A movie that wouldn't be a waste of money even if you paid for it," and "Lee Byung-heon, you are the god of acting."

Source: Here 

August 3, 2023 

Finally Cine review! :wub:

[Cine Review] 'Concrete Utopia', the end of human nature experienced with an overwhelming sense of immersion. 

0000443817_001_20230803122702519.jpg?type=w430view o

The end of human nature that dreamed of utopia. 'Concrete Utopia' is a movie where you can experience the dystopia faced by immature and selfish people dreaming of utopia with an overwhelming sense of immersion.

'Concrete Utopia' is a disaster drama depicting a story that begins when survivors gather at the only remaining imperial palace apartment in Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake.

One day, in Seoul, where a major earthquake occurred, all buildings except for the Imperial Palace apartment collapsed. Survivors, including outsiders, flock to the Imperial Palace apartment, and the residents, who begin to feel threatened, create new rules only for the residents of the apartment while thoroughly blocking outsiders' entry, centered on the representative of the residents, Young-tak (Lee Byung-hun).

After kicking out all outsiders, the residents lead a peaceful and safe life in the 'Utopia'-like imperial palace apartment, unlike the hellish outside world. However, as the disaster situation continues, resources become scarce and conflicts begin to arise both internally and externally.

The differentiated advantage of 'Concrete Utopia' is the overwhelming sense of immersion. The story and development, as well as the acting and directing of the actors, do not interfere with immersion, and the intense tension continues throughout 130 minutes. Even when there is no conflict material in the story, tension is created through dramatic directing and OSTs, and the development continues to take out the soul without adjusting the dynamics. Steep development and raging hot acting that unfolds without brakes on a well-planned board. If you manage your stamina well, you can experience 130 minutes of 'Instant fine grinding" in the world of the movie.

Concrete Utopia' is a new adaptation based on the second part 'Pleasant Neighbors' of 'Pleasant Bullying', a popular webtoon by author Kim Soong-nyung, which has been well received since its serialization in 2014. While the webtoon draws a story about a strange space from the perspective of people who have returned from the outside, 'Concrete Utopia' has a difference in that it depicts in detail the process of the characters inside being transformed in selfishness.

The role of the actors who had to portray a three-dimensional character that is changing in an extreme situation where human selfishness has no choice but to show the end must have been important. In addition to actors such as Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, Park Bo-young and Kim Seon-yeong, actors with fresh masks such as Kim Do-yoon and Park Ji-hoo faithfully digest their roles and perform passionately.

Lee Byung-hun can only be explained by saying, "Lee Byung-hun did it again."South Korea's representative actor Lee Byung-hun, who shows his overwhelming acting skills in each work, will perform an irreplaceable performance as Yeong-tak, the representative of residents of the Imperial Palace Apartment.From Young-tak's pathetic and daily acting, who was unintentionally selected as the representative of the residents, to the mid-to-late appearance of knowing the taste of power, Young-tak's narrative and extreme emotions he felt were immersed.It proves once again that he is the best actor in name and reality who even acts with eyes and feelings, not words.

If Lee Byung-hun takes center stage with his heavy acting, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young are the characters who lead the flow of the play.Park Bo-young, who is looking for "a way for everyone to live," and Park Seo-joon and his wife, who are gradually adapting to reality, and the detailed description of emotions accordingly are most closely related to the theme of the play, throwing things to think about.Their narrative of "salty" and moderate depth acting help the "concrete utopia" cruise.

Drawing it realistically was the biggest task of the "concrete utopia" against the backdrop of a disaster situation that did not come.Director Um Tae-hwa said, "The most important thing was to make it seem like it would happen in the real world."In line with director Um Tae-hwa's desire to emphasize reality in all aspects of the set, CG, costumes, and makeup, the realistic background and spectacular special effects give an immersive feeling as if they were delivering the smell and atmosphere of the scene.

Concrete Utopia' painfully pinches the past, present, and future problems of Korea. From the title, the theme of the movie is clear and vivid. Beginning in the 1970s and 1980s when apartments were first built, this film shows the past of Korea, which has become an apartment kingdom. The sense of class and privilege felt by the residents of the "chosen" imperial apartment reminds us of a real story that is less realistic than the movies that prevent air conditioners from being installed in the security room and oppose the delivery driver's elevator ride.

It is possible to feel the uncomfortable and stuffy feelings of the ugly human inner face that is strongly faced with a realistic well-made work. Perhaps facing these emotions is the complete process of appreciating 'concrete utopia'.

Released on August 9, audience age 15+, running time 130 minutes

August 4, 2023

[TRANS] Dir. Uhm Tae Hwa Interview from SBS News Briefing.

Many of the questions asked in this interview has already been covered in previous press con interviews so I wouldn’t explain much on that. I might insert the answers here and there if necessary. This is my basic understanding of the interview. There may be inaccuracies regarding my translations. Here we go! 

Q: Please introduce the movie. 

Q: The name “Concrete Utopia”. It’s a bit ironic considering the state of perfection that Utopia means, does “Utopia” in meaning represents the only standiing apartment here?

UTH: You can say that. Since its a dystopian situation with everything completely destroyed, that the only remaining apartment becomes its Utopia, and also for the people who survived the situation. 

Q: Reasons for choosing name “Concrete Utopia.” 

UTH: *goes on to explain how he thought of researching the history of apartment in korea before creating a scenario and found an unpublished book by Writer Park Hae Chan with the same name, and how he thought there couldn’t be a better representing name to convey his scenario than this name itself.* 

Anyway, even though Imperial Palace Apartment becomes utopia in that dystopian situation, and everyone also seems to think so at first, the main point is the question that remains whether it actually is the utopia they thought. Also, term “Concrete” has direct association with the apartment itself, but these days, if you think about apartment, you’d also think of all the lack of communication, cold (Unfriendly) and distant ( I think he meant you don’t even know your neighbors ). So, this thought and the one you mentioned about Utopia being the state of perfection earlier, I really liked the contrast energy between the two words. 

Q: It’s based on a webtoon. So How long did it take you to make this movie? 

UTH: *goes on to explain webtoon*, It took me 4 years to finish it all together. 

Q: Regarding the set arrangements of the movie. 

Q: Regarding his top notch casting. 

UTH: * goes on to explaining politely about his fishing strategy after casting LBH first. * Lol. 

Q: Hardest moment of filming. 

UTH: Punishing heat of course. * Goes on explaining. * 

Q: Stories by cast. 

First, 

LBH: *explains how this isn’t merely a disaster movie but a story of ordinary people. There is no good or evil in this situation, neither there are good or evil people. It’s about how these people who faced the disaster comes together to endure the situation and further more situation that arise from it.* 

PBYPersonally, there was a scene where I had to face off against LBH sunbaenim, and everyone was worried about me. "How are you preparing? Are you doing well?" Director nim also worried a lot, so he sent me a photo of Yeong-tak, and told me to think of it as an 'object' that I could easily see.So, for a while, I set the sunbaenim's terrifying Young Tak visual as my phone wallpaper. Thinking of it as Large longhead hairtail, and thinking Let's not be intimidated when responding later! So, there is an episode that I used his picture as a wallpaper for a while.

Q: Do you think Mr. LBH looks like a belt fish? Why does it have to be a belt fish? 

UHM: I also have no idea why I thought of belt fish but there was this moment before filming the most integral part of the movie, where we had filmed with actor LBH, and It was a scene where he looked awfully dreadful.. So keeping that main scene in mind, I took a screenshot of his face thinking if you familiarize with his face, you wouldn’t be too scared later on. So I sent the pic (To PBY) advising her to practice looking at the picture for mind control. But she said, “Look at his eyes, do you think I’d be able to not be afraid if I constantly look at it?” So, at that time, I suddenly thought of the eyes of that Belt fish. I sent her a pic of that fish too and told her to just imagine him as that fish, or something less important object. 

Q: Mr. LBH’s eyes in this scene (post fire scene) does look like Belt fish though. 

9-A6-F9-F45-0440-4023-957-A-5183-A24-E1-

(That moment LBH was compared to Largehead hairtail fish on a national television. That moment Dir. UTH knew he is in trouble. Lmao )

After another main trailer. 

Q: What kind of reactions are you expecting after watching the movie? 

UTH: That “It’s Fun.’ “It’s not a waste of a ticket money.”. And that they enjoyed the variety of acting and transformation of the actors. 

Since, we finally have a video of PBY telling the story of thinking him as hair-tail fish (Sadly not his immediate reaction), I will insert his reaction to that statement from one of LBH’s interviews recently. He said, 

“I heard from PBY ssi after the shoot that she acted thinking I was a large head hairtail. It was because she thought I was scary. But in reality, after that scene, I thought PBY is really scary. She praised me and said she is scared of me, but I told her I am even more scared of you. I think she really studied a lot. I thought it was a great idea since she had to think I was a nothing, or an object even. But, personally, I thought large head hair tail was a bit…….” ( Lol poor man had his feelings hurt. :D)

He also responded to press asking about how PBY said she thought LBH changed his eye balls during the scenes. He said, “ Well…. These days, actors do carry around few eye balls with them.” :lol:

Will insert those articles here later. 

August 5, 2023

Movie Review [Non Spoiler]

Concrete Utopia "Director Uhm Tae-hwa will be the next generation to succeed Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho.

DAA5795-F-EE61-4-DBA-BC33-DA5-A963-A66-A

As I heard on special GV, director Um Tae-hwa is one of the few directors who makes it very standard. The standard mentioned here does not seem to be a follow-up, but rather means that he knows exactly that "the movie should be directed like this." If you look at the composition of the scene, the composition is set in a standard manner, and the Imperial palace apartment and the collapsed Seoul are properly implemented without standing out. However, the narrative development is also close to the standard of dystopia, which can make the movie boring, but it is prevented by the efficient arrangement of events and excellent background composition. In addition, the symbols and double lines are exquisitely used to preserve not only aesthetic beauty but also psychological perfection. Director Um Tae-hwa's standard directing skills are also revealed in the opening scene, and I almost cried when I saw the opening. It's not because I'm sad, but because I think I'm watching the best opening in movie history.

We can't leave out the actors' stories. It shows that everyone is performing their role more than perfect. Among them, Lee Byung-hun is the one-top, but all other actors besides Lee Byung-hun have such beautiful acting skills that they even assert that it is not impossible for the actor to fully realize the character. It's like taking a picture of a person who actually lived in an Imperial palace apartment, including a supporting actor or an extra.

I mentioned earlier that the narrative development is close to the standard of dystopian material, but the narrative theme appears to deviate slightly from this. To be exact, it's not just Seoul, which is consumed for dystopia, but The Seoul, where we currently live. It's hyperrealism that was born in the most unrealistic situation? The movements shown by the characters in the drama are not unreasonable at all. The reality that the plot unfolds is not a fantasy at all. It is simply the collapse of Seoul, and the past and present of Seoul are the same as our Seoul.

The actors are well-proven characters, but this is Um Tae-hwa's second commercial film production. I saw Park Chan-wook from director Um Tae-hwa. Director Park Chan-wook tends to dominate the audience with exaggerated emotions and aesthetics, and director Um Tae-hwa also used this a lot in this film, and in addition, he captivates the audience with his own weapons, standard production and composition. Although he is still a new director, the achievements that director Um Tae-hwa completed in this work are so excellent that it is hard to distinguish between the achievements that director Park Chan-wook has made. I can confidently say that the next generation to succeed Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho will be director Um Tae-hwa.

Very well deserved!

here 

August 5,2023 

Our Con Uz stage greetings at Busan today

Concrete Utopia promotion era!! 

:letsgo:

Dir. Uhm Tae Hwa, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, Park Bo-young and Kim Do-yoon attended the event together. 

april-2023-08-05-05-55-02-938.jpg

Links for all the clips from their event today. 

August 6, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA DAEGU STAGE GREETINGS HIGHLIGHTS 

20230806-093408.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvmMRaCLrpW/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

노컷뉴스

Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young's "Concrete Utopia" topped the reservation rate for Korean films.

0000196934_002_20230806154301460.png?type=w430View Source

The movie "Concrete Utopia" (director Um Tae-hwa), which combines Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, ranked first in the reservation rate of Korean films three days before its release.

According to the Korea Film Council's integrated computer network for movie theater tickets at 5 p.m. on the 6th, the reservation rate for "Concrete Utopia" was 19.8%, ranking second after "Oppenheimer" (33.3%). The overall reservation rate was second, and when narrowed down to Korean movies, it was first overall, beating "Smugglers." (13.9 percent).

August 7, 2023

[TRANS] CGV FANTERVIEW WITH TEAM CONCRETE UTOPIA 

Q: What item do you want to take care of first if the whole world collapses like in a movie? 

(Pls notice LBH’s face here. This man is having a crisis thinking his answers. Lmao ) 

PBY: I will bring my emergency backpack. 

PSJ: Helmet? You could get stuck when it collapses. 

LBH: Can I say family? 

PBY: Sunbaenim! You’ve been taking care of family since last time. (Lol)

LBH: Family is the first thing that comes to my mind. 

PBY: Awwww….

PSJ: Object! Object! 

LBH: Flash light. Since there won’t be any light, I think it might come in handy. 

Q: If I am the resident of Imperial Palace Apartment, I’ll become leader first Vs. Live quietly as an ordinary resident. 

LBH: I dont think I will be a leader. There are just too many things to take care of. 

PBY: BUT….like in the movie, people will eventually select him as a leader. It’s a position you have to represent no matter what. 

Q: There are a lot of people who are into Yellow peach couple. Do you feel the popularity? 

PBY: I didn’t expect to receive this much love from people. 

PSJ: There are many people who seem to be looking forward to it, so I am grateful. 

Q: Are you aware of the yellow peach scene, Actor Lee Byung Hun?

LBH: I cringed. (Joking.)

Q: I am curious how many peach did PBY eat during the filming of that scene? 

PBY: I didn’t eat that much. 

PSJ: I think she ate about 2-3 only. 

Q: Is there a moment when you burst into laughter when you saw each other’s dirty side on set? 

LBH: There was a moment when I burst into laughter looking at myself dressed up. I felt like that M alphabet hair was so Young tak, that it made me laugh. 

Actor like PSJ, who is handsomely tall, and Actor PBY who is very cute, they always looked handsome and cute no matter how much dirt was painted on their face. 

Q: I have been enjoying Minsung’s sweet IG. Did you take pics yourself?

PSJ: There are a lot we took ourselves. There are also settings where I took pics with a tripod. 

Q: Favorite pics?

PSJ: Couple hoodie selca. They look so happy. Completely unaware of what’s coming. 

Q: Hard moment of filming? 

Everyone: Heat

LBH: Since the setting of the movie was in the middle of winter, we had to wear lots of padding jackets and such. That’s the hardest. 

Q: You two have an image to appear in a rom-com, but you met first through disaster genre. Is there a genre you’d want to work on if you get a chance again?

PBY: People seem to love rom-com, right?

PSJ: I think fans would think so.

PBY: We should meet again, of course. 

PSY: I’d love to! 

Q: Survival score in a disaster situation? 

PSJ: Since I finished my military, maybe about 60-70%

PBY: For me, maybe about 70%. I am not sure how long I will last, but maybe up to the middle of the disaster. 

(Wearing your backpack?) 

PBY: Yes. 

LBH: I think I am about 50%. PSJ is 70% since he finished his military, but I had to cut mine short, thats why 50%. 

PSJ: I think I’ve imagined the scenario on how i will survive in this situation. 

PBY: If your family is with me, the survival score will be higher. 

LBH: I always think about my family. 

PBY: Then it should go up, sunbaenim. 

LBH: 60% :D 

August 8, 2023

[D-1] TEAM CON UZZ AT MBC KIM SHIN YOUNG’S NOON SONG OF HOPE RADIO 

074550-EC-D764-4-D5-C-8-C4-A-A3-CB53-E21

Full video: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Concrete Utopia tops ticket reservation rate for overall films in Korea. Finally! Good luck, team CU!!! Fighting!!!! 

8-E8-C1-D2-D-9-BE3-4-C71-9866-A2-E67-D1-

TEAM CONCRETE UTOPIA AT THE VIP PREMIERE 

It’s finally D-day! :w00t:

LET THE OFFICIAL ACTING PARTY BEGIN!! :eats:

51-F9728-D-7113-4-A89-BBF2-74559-F25-A54

A848-D23-B-80-E6-45-D0-91-A0-DBF8668-E95

The movie has officially started. All the best wishes for the movie. Let’s hit debak, Concrete Utopia! Fighting!!!

Full video of VIP premiere.

Spoiler

• Like 1

August 9, 2023 

in the news
Park Chan-wook “I am proud of ‘Concrete Utopia’ as a Korean." Highly praised.

202308081516236710_1_20230808152302946.jpg?type=w430view original

Director Park Chan-wook praised 'Concrete Utopia' as "a work with imagination and boldness while making it according to the standard."

The movie 'Concrete Utopia' (director Uhm Tae-hwa), which will be released on August 9, is a disaster movie depicting the story of survivors gathering in the only remaining imperial palace apartment in Seoul, which was devastated by the earthquake.

202308081516236710_2_20230808152302957.jpg?type=w430view original

On August 4th, a special GV with director Uhm Tae-hwa and Park Chan-wook was successfully held. Director Uhm Tae-hwa introduced the relationship he had with director Park Chan-wook as an assistant director who visited GV as a special guest . In addition, it was revealed that the scene with humor in a serious situation in 'Concrete Utopia' was influenced by director Park Chan-wook's directing style, and showed an extraordinary priest chemistry.

Director Park Chan-wook said, “I read the script and watched the edited version, but there was no time to get bored from start to finish, even though I knew everything about it. It's fun to watch again because the movie was made with an standard attitude. Since there are no tricks at all, I can say that it is a movie made with a pure and simple attitude.” In particular he said, "I think it can be said that it has opened a new chapter in the history of Lee Byung-hun's acting. Every time I watch everything he is in, he dramatically expresses the appropriate changes, and I couldn't help but admire that how it's all the same person and that he is consistent and still surprises me even though I've been close with him for a long time." he praised Lee Byung-hun, who perfectly performed as Yeongtak.

Then, he delivered impressive impressions on the passionate performance of all the actors, and especially about Park Bo-young, who played 'Masterpiece', saying, "I think that actor Park Bo-young's clean expression and face will be a valuable moment that can only be expressed by the actor." Park Bo-young's persuasive acting was praised.

Lastly, director Uhm Tae-hwa asked for support for 'Concrete Utopia', saying, "I thought that fun should come first, and I made the film with that in mind." Director Park Chan-wook said, “It is rare in the world to have a director who has matured this much, and as I mentioned earlier, who makes films according to textbook standards, with finesse, technique, flair, and no bravado. As a Korean, I feel proud to have such a good director in a rare situation in the world where Lee Byung-hun, who has not lost the boldness to exert himself, is rare in the world. I hope you will support the movie a lot.”

• Like 1

August 9, 2023

TEAM CONCRETE UTOPIA, SEOUL STAGE GREETINGS AND SPECIAL GV HIGHLIGHTS 

april-2023-08-10-05-31-49-719.jpg

april-2023-08-09-20-21-36-765.jpg

LBH IG update + BH Entertainment updates+ Lotte Entertainment updates with 'MZ selca' (man the terms I need to learn these days) 

Spoiler

Special GV (Moderator Q&A) 

Spoiler

Special GV (Audience Q&A) 

Spoiler

Also, lots of behind the scenes pics released from supporting casts from the set of CU. Lots of familiar faces from Dir. UTH's previous movie 'The Vanishing Time.' 

Actor Lee Hyo je IG with LBH and PSJ (He was the child main lead in Vanishing time) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvt1KkvrPm6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Actor Si un with casts of CU

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvt6ARdrdHj/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Actor Jung Young gi (TEAM homeless of CU) I am going to sue Dir. UTH for this! Actor UTG is also one of the homeless. :tears:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvtze0GL8lT/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

More bts pics of LBH with the supp casts 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvtxokxtzIZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Opening of "Concrete Utopia" ranked first at 230,000...the leader of the new box office
:selfie2:
3-EF73-E99-7-F79-42-D9-A642-C99328-E046-

Source: here

CONCRETE OVERSEAS RELEASE SCHEDULE RELEASED 

Taiwan - August 10, 2023 
Malaysia, Brunei, Hong Kong, Macau - August 17, 2023
Indonesia- August 23, 2023 
Singapore - August 24, 2023 
Thailand - August 31, 2023 
Vietnam - September 1, 2023
Philippines - September 13, 2023
Japan- January 2024

• Like 1

August 11, 2023

[Herald Interview] Director Um Tae-hwa explores Koreans' ‘love and hate’ of apartments in ‘Concrete Utopia’

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_4.31.42_PM.png

Um says his No. 1 rule in directing is to find great actors, and then trust them

By Kim Da-sol

Published : Aug 9, 2023 - 12:19       Updated : Aug 9, 2023 - 12:19

Director Um Tae-hwa, who has returned with dystopian thriller “Concrete Utopia” seven years after “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned,” which led to him receiving the best new director award at Korea's Grand Bell Awards that year, has delved into Koreans' “love and hate” of apartments in this new film.

“The reason I was focused on the apartment was that because I was also born and raised in that space. As I delved into what 'apartment' means for Koreans, I realized it is the subject of both love and hate, which is quite sad. Some people are happy because their apartment is an asset, but others are crying because of the rising prices of apartments, which they can’t afford,” director Um told The Korea Herald in Seoul on Tuesday.

“Those mixed feelings led me to bring a black comedy tone to this dystopian film,” he explained.

Director Um Tae-hwa’s “Concrete Utopia” is a dark, black comedy disaster thriller that tells the story of apartment building residents whose homes actually threaten their lives. Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a “utopia,” but it soon becomes a dystopia when non-residents start to flock to the building in the wake of the disaster.

Though based on the second part of the "Pleasant Bullying" webtoon by Kim Soong-nyoong about an earthquake and its aftermath, called “Pleasant Neighbors,” which begins in the basement of a school, the story was rewritten and adapted by director Um. He said he wanted to change the original to feel much bigger and larger in scale, as well as make the protagonists more active whereas the original webtoon's characters seem more passive.

“After bringing in the keyword, ‘apartment,’ I thought about which kind of characters would fit the setting best, and it was a newlywed couple who got a loan to purchase their home. After developing the characters, I was able to see how the apartment functions even more significantly in this film,” Um said.

Compared to his two previous films, “Concrete Utopia” is much larger in scale. It’s one of the big four tentpole films being released here this summer. As of Wednesday morning, it has topped ticket reservations in local box offices, surpassing “Smugglers” and “Oppenheimer,” which open next week.

“It’s not like I had to do this large-scale film, but rather, naturally, the distributor increasing the scale and the addition of great actors encouraged me to take on such a challenge," Um said.

"As my No. 1 rule in directing is to find great actors, I spend significant time searching for the right actor and communicating with them regarding the story. I’m really satisfied with my cast in the film."

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who once again does a fantastic job portraying a complex, multi-dimensional character as the story unfolds, did an excellent job expressing the black comedic atmosphere in “Concrete Utopia,” Um said.

“I have been particularly drawn to black comedy films. (For example,) I’m sure that I’m the type of cinephile who can watch director Park Chan-wook’s ‘Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance’ and laugh," Um shared.

"Lee, who also loves black comedy films, knows the point of black comedy and in which scenes he should add certain acting, like slapstick elements. This kind of acting of his creates the tone and mood in the early part of the film,” Um added.

Having worked with auteur director Park for many years as an assistant director, Um said he learned a lot from Park, who is known as a master of detail.

“The reason I was obsessed with putting details in the film was to really focus on expressing the film hyperrealistically. I wanted to shoot the film inside an actual apartment building but it was too difficult to do that, so that’s why I created a life-size three-story apartment set outside of a city. I asked the art team to gather all the doors, handrails and other materials from old apartments that were to be demolished for redevelopment. That also added to the realism,” he added.

Source: https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230809000499&ACE_SEARCH=1

• Thanks 1

August 11, 2023

[Herald Review] Dystopian black comedy ‘Concrete Utopia’ has questions instead of message

By Kim Da-sol

Published : Aug 3, 2023 - 18:39       Updated : Aug 3, 2023 - 18:39

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_4.32.17_PM.png

A scene from 'Concrete Utopia' (Lotte Entertainment)

When it comes to ‘living in an apartment,’ or specifically ‘owning an apartment,’ many Koreans perceive that differently from simply having a place to live. An apartment could be someone’s life goal or another’s deep grudge. In that context, “Concrete Utopia” raises questions about the contradictions humans face when put in extreme situations -- such as when your apartment building becomes the only place in Seoul that has survived a devastating earthquake.

Director Um Tae-hwa’s “Concrete Utopia” is a dark, black comedy disaster thriller that tells the story of apartment residents whose homes threaten their lives. Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a "utopia," but that thought simply signals the beginning of a dystopia as non-residents start to flock to the building.

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.40.53_PM.png

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.45.02_PM.png

Calling non-residents who have sneaked into the building "cockroaches," residents of Hwanggung Apartment gather together to protect their utopian home from non-residents. At the center is Kim Young-tak (Lee Byung-hun), who would be willing even to die if there is anything he can do to protect his home and the building.

In exchange for such passion and willingness to sacrifice himself, he is elected to represent the apartment building residents, wielding enormous power among the residents. Next to him is Min-sung (Park Seo-joon), a reliable, seemingly good-hearted neighbor who supports Young-tak in many ways to keep things in order and establish a system amidst the chaos as food and water become scarce.

But Myung-hwa (Park Bo-young), the wife of Min-sung, doesn’t like how the residents of Hwanggung Apartment kick out the non-residents who will otherwise starve or freeze to death in the extremely cold weather outside. At one point, she notices that Young-tak shouldn’t be trusted.

The movie asks the audience whether you would do the same if your home were the only place to survive a colossal disaster and non-residents were to flood in. It is unclear which decision is the wisest, as that question is left unanswered even after the film's 129-minute running time. One can't tell whether the unsettled feeling after the film is simply due to the genre’s characteristics as a dystopian flick.

“Concrete Utopia” doesn’t simply show Koreans’ fantasies about owning an apartment or the loss of humanity in extreme situations. Rather, it invites discussion about humans' problematic desires and behaviors, including: greed, discrimination, the desire for power and human-made hierarchies.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.45.17_PM.png

Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young show well-balanced acting, firmly supporting Lee Byung-hun, who once again fantastically portrays a complex, multi-dimensional character as the story unfolds.

Director Um’s clever opening sequence showing what apartments mean in Korean society elevates the audience’s understanding of the film’s tone and style, making the film’s topic accessible and relatable to moviegoers anywhere. The film has been invited to various international film festivals including the 48th Toronto International Film Festival, and will open in 152 countries.

“Concrete Utopia” opens in local theaters on Aug. 9.

By Kim Da-sol (ddd@heraldcorp.com)

Source:  https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230803000637&np=1&mp=1

• Like 1

씨네21
[Interview] From "Human Group Satire" to "Apocalypse Thriller", directed by Eom Tae-hwa of "Concrete Utopia".

Director Uhm Tae-hwa is a creator on the border of a coin. He brilliantly captures both sides of human beings, space, and even things. In Intoogi, digital space was both a refuge for young people and a place where they were corrupted, and in Vanishing Time, it drew the duality of space where time has stopped. Even in <Concrete Utopia>, which is the third feature and the largest budget, there is no change in the characteristics and gaze of director Uhm Tae-hwa, who explores the meaning in the midst of contradiction. No, it's getting deeper. How can the only chunk of concrete left after the earthquake become a utopia shouting 'my happy home'? When asked if there was no pressure for the blockbuster, he replied with the slightly excited boy's face. "I enjoyed the drama <The Offer: The Behind the Scenes> of <The God Father>, which depicts the production process of <The godfather>. There's a scene where John Ford advises him to make a movie for himself, and a movie for everyone. I know what a movie is for me, but I don't know the movie for everyone yet. I took it with the desire to find out about it.” It tells the story of the treasures discovered by director Uhm Tae-hwa, moments for everyone, in a gray world where the boundary between heaven and hell has fallen.

15_51_13__64d33761ea607_20230811181622538.jpg?type=w430

After the media's suggestions, favorable reviews have continued.

I'm glad my intention seems to have been conveyed, but I'm cautious because I haven't met the general audience yet.Some said they were worried that it was a bit dark and heavy to show in the summer market.However, I am confident that the cinematic fun will be delivered in the development process.The first thing I worked hard on while making webtoons into movies was realistic tone and realism.I hoped it would never look like a set, and I built an apartment up to the third floor with an actual construction method.It was important to create a space that existed somewhere in real reality.After accepting that the world presented by the movie is nothing short of real, I think the fun of the movie is formed by a series of unpredictable events.Meaning and message cannot be left out, but the process of joy and fun reaching it is also an essential element of the movie.

As a result, both the realistic setting to empathize with and the suspense of the unpredictable development process have been achieved properly.

Thank you. The less real you are, the more realistic settings you need.For example, the royal palace apartment envisioned all the stories of people living in each lake.People living on 24 pyeong and people living on 32 pyeong are subtly different.From data research to props, we have scraped up the maximum reality that can be physically scraped together.We invited each and every one of the actors who are known to be good at acting.In the scene of the meeting, the specific stories of the residents living in each city were given and gathered together, and they showed reactions that the real person could make.I'm usually a meticulous follower of Conti and the scene mastered all the angles.I filmed that scene for about two days, and I could feel a strange joy watching the vivid breathing of the actors like on the stage of the play.

The location of the palace apartment is also interesting.The palace apartment, which seems to have been built a long time ago under the foot of the mountain, is surrounded by the newly built Dream Palace, so there must have been a lot of discrimination.

Once there was an earthquake, it was necessary to show convincingly how only one apartment could be left.I wanted to understand the futile setting with a visual at a glance, so I referred to it by locating various places.Among them, there was an apartment built right under the mountain in Dangri-dong, Saha-gu, Busan, and when I went there myself, I thought that the mountain could prevent the earthquake if it was this location.I didn't want to be too far from the Han River, so I decided to locate it thinking that it was an apartment along Namsan Mountain near the mineral water.In fact, the current shape was completed after scanning the terrain and simulating the possibility.

a paradise in disaster

It is based on the second part of Kim Su-nung's Pleasant Bullying, titled "Cheerful Neighborhood," and the title is derived from Park Hae-cheon's book "Concrete Utopia."

When I first saw the original work, what came to me interesting was the appearance of people trying to decorate their own paradise in a desperate situation caused by a disaster.Personally, when I show hope in a disaster, I always felt that it was fake.In that sense, Kim Soo-nyung's original work was attractive with dual images that could not be said to be just hope, as if returning to primitive society.When I saw Park Hae-cheon's "Concrete Utopia," I felt that it accurately explained the irony I felt.So I put it under a gauze for now, but I couldn't find a better title than this until the end.

He wrote the script with writer Lee Shin-ji, and many writers participated, including the adaptations Jo Seul-ye and Yoon-colored Jeong Seung-oh.I can feel the agony in the process of adaptation.

I had a lot of thoughts about how to wrap it up.The present ending was decided after much consideration until the end.Although vague hope and optimism were excluded in the first place, it was realistic and convincing, but I did not want to completely let go of the string of hope.It's the most hopeful ending I can think of, and I think some people might ask back what hope this is.It may be more appropriate to describe it as compassion that can be thought of from the opponent's point of view and small generosity that can reach out even in barren situations.Rather than looking for an answer, I wanted to draw a story from the perspective of the person who asks the question.It is a story about the gray world, not black or white, that cannot be divided into the same concepts of right and wrong, good and evil, justice and fire.It can be said that it is a world of causal retribution rather than good and punishing evil.In a world filled with gray concrete, I wanted to leave hope that the warmth of white rice could convey.

The development and perspective are very different from the original webtoon.If the original story is about student Hye-won, the movie begins from the perspective of newlyweds Min-sung (Park Seo-joon) and Myung-hwa (Park Bo-young).

As much as the ending, I had a lot of worries about the starting point.The original story tells the story of Hye-won (Park Ji-hoo) arriving at the apartment.I thought it would be better to expand the story after writing up to six high schools with Hye-won as the main character.After putting Hye-won back a little, she wrote the whole thing anew.The royal palace apartment decided to draw the process of how it became their own utopia and chose a newlywed couple as the narrator of the story among several characters.So to speak, this is a story about apartments and as the title suggests, it starts in a world where concrete has become a false utopia.

The opening, which shows the history of Korea's transformation into an apartment republic, is impressive.It's light and ironic.

I contacted the KBS documentary <Modern Korea> team because I wanted to show the history of the apartment briefly.When I asked PD Lee Tae-woong that I wanted to transfer the core of the book "Concrete Utopia" to a video, he abbreviated it based on a vast archive and the current opening was born.After introducing the world where apartments have become idealized, the earthquake destroyed everything at once, and the movie finally begins.

The apartment maintenance project montage was filmed like an apartment advertisement video, which is funny and creepy.

Irony is always attractive.When I had to cut back on the episodes, I thought I could make it an opportunity to highlight the irony.There is also a point where you can immerse yourself more effectively when you show less and shorter.In particular, actor Lee Byung-hun, who plays Young-tak, made good use of his bitter laughter and unique breathing for black comedy even in a heavy atmosphere.Even when delivering humor in fantasy, I wanted to keep the line that didn't lose its realism.

In addition, there are many intense and concise montage scenes, such as expanding the search area with surrounding maps.

The story was so vast that I didn't want to miss the fun of abbreviating as much as possible.The scene where the search team searched outside the apartment was originally more episodes, but it was inevitably reduced for the flow.Even if there are fewer episodes, I was worried about how to save the three-dimensional effect of the character.It was a consistent goal to achieve maximum effect through minimal scenes.It was my first big budget, but it's always the same that I don't have enough money. (laughs)

The Spectacle of the Earthquake, the Spectacle of the Actor

If you have to choose a scene that's disappointing,

There are so many that I can't choose.(laughs) But to pick one, I wanted to show how Min-sung and Ming-hwa lived and came to the palace apartment, but I couldn't.I was so sad that I asked the marketing team to create Minsung's Instagram account.On top of that, Min-sung plans to upload his happy days and memories of dating.There are a lot of photos of props prepared, so I'm going to show them like this.It will be helpful if you look at Minsung's Instagram before coming to the movies.

There are so many characters and episodes that I think it would have been suitable if it was made into a series.

It's not that I didn't think about it whenever I had to abbreviate the story and take out episodes of the characters.It's an attractive story enough as a series, and I think it can be made.Nevertheless, there are things that are only possible when it becomes a movie.It is different from a matter of size or volume.For example, the spectacle evoked by the actor's face can be fully enjoyed through the space of the theater.

The close-up in the scene where Young-tak sings the song "Apartment" and moves on to the flashback is also excellent.

Thank you. Watching actor Lee Byung-hun in that scene, I realized that this is the spectacle that can be done just by acting.I have a lot of worries when I use flashbacks, but I wanted to add more meaning to the front and back connection in this movie.For example, Min-sung's flashback connects to the spectacle of the earthquake, and Young-tak's flashback focuses directly on the spectacle of the face.I wanted to avoid Cliché as much as possible, but I hoped that there would be a disaster in "Concrete Utopia," but it would not be a disaster movie.The tone of the movie changes starting with Young-tak's passionate singing of "Apartment," and if the first half is a satire of human groups, the second half is more like a thriller with a more typical Apocalypse background.Focusing on color, it is a composition that gradually adds red to movies that started with blue or gray tones.Cold and then hot, maybe a little warm.

Significant songs such as "My Happy House" and "Apartment" were used in the right place.

Unlike the melody, the lyrics of "Apartment" have a sad and sad side.Such contradictions seem to evoke richer interpretation and appreciation.After the credit goes up, Hye-won's version of the song "Apartment" comes out.It would be nice to compare how it is different from Youngtak's <Apartment>.

One of the homeless groups outside the apartment is actor Um Tae-gu, his younger brother.

The casting process was insignificant.Do this for me, okay.That's it.(laughs) It comes out twice in total, and at first, when the apartment expedition gets food, when you look down from above, these groups scatter like cockroaches.And at the end, actor Um Tae-gu comes out alone.It was supposed to come out three times, but I deleted one out of three.I heard that there is a big difference in the running time within 130 minutes.I removed it at the end of the editing with the condition that it must be put back in when it was being streamed later.I imagined a little bit of a musical feeling, but it's like the ghosts in Macbeth.Where is the real hell.What's really horrible.I wanted to reverse the dynamics as if the vertical apartment were horizontal.

It doesn't really explain why the earthquake happened or how the world is going.On the one hand, it is more attractive that you do not know all the situations and that everything is not solved neatly.

If possible, I want you to watch the movie first before watching the original.Of course, even those who have seen the original work will be able to enjoy it interestingly as it has expanded the transcription that was not covered in the original work.However, in this movie, I didn't want to deal with the worldview of why the earthquake occurred.Isn't the world where everything is clearly explained and divided somewhat boring and scary?Inexplicable things have already happened.What we can and must do is choose what we can do next.There seems to be no obvious antagonist in this movie.Someone may follow the movie from Young-tak's point of view, and someone may follow the movie from Min-sung's point of view or famous painting.It is a combination that cannot be understood in real life, and the range I can know is limited.I don't think a single movie can explain everything.Sometimes those unfortunate gaps can be the key to completing the movie's final puzzle.

source: here 

I believe majority of the questions posted here are from this video interview of dir. Uhm Tae hwa which aired on MBC Radio about a week ago. Many questions regarding behind the scenes stories have not been included here because of possible spoiler. I will come back to this once we all watched it because behind the scene stories always tastes better after we’ve actually seen the movie. 

Director Um Tae-hwa of "Concrete Utopia" X "D.P" Director Han Joon-hee...Special GV confirmed

"Concrete Utopia," which has been well-received since its release on August 9, will hold a special GV with director Um Tae-hwa and director Han Joon-hee at Megabox COEX at 7:30 p.m. on August 16.

0001626795_002_20230811150701381.jpg?type=w430
  • Thanks 1

August 12, 2023

Pedro Almodóvar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun to Keynote Toronto Film Festival

The news comes as the Hollywood strikes leave uncertain which American celebrities will walk the red carpet next month.

Pedro Almodovar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun

Pedro Almodovar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun

The Toronto Film Festival has tapped Spanish auteur Pedro Almodóvar, Hong Kong multi-hyphenate Andy Lau and Korean superstars Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun to topline its In Conversation With series next month.

Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun, co-stars of the disaster epic Concrete Utopia, will also be in Toronto to discuss their careers in Korean film and TV. Park Seo-jun is set to appear in The Marvels later this year.

“TIFF’s 2023 In Conversation With… series exemplifies our belief that film can ignite perspectives and fuel transformation. We are delighted to welcome a powerhouse lineup of international iconoclasts from Spain, South Korea and Hong Kong for film lovers of all genres,” Anita Lee, TIFF chief programming officer, said Friday in a statement.

Besides casting a net worldwide to illustrate an expanding entertainment landscape as part of its In Conversation With… series, the choices of the international film icons for TIFF allow the festival to get round the uncertainty cast by the ongoing Hollywood actors strike on which American film stars can walk its red carpet in Toronto next month.

SAG-AFTRA restrictions require actors not to promote any film that’s from a member of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, meaning any streamer, major legacy studio or a specialty division such as Sony Pictures Classics, Searchlight or Focus Features (which are owned by Sony, Disney and Universal, respectively).

The Toronto Film Festival, set to run Sept. 7 to 17, earlier announced it would open its 2023 edition with Japanese anime legend Hayako Miyazaki’s much anticipated final film, The Boy and the Heron. 

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

• Like 1

August 12, 2023 

CONGRATULATIONS, CONCRETE UTOPIA!!!!

FOR REACHING 1 MILLION ADMISSIONS IN JUST 4 DAYS OF RELEASE!!! 

EURA CHA CHA, HWANGGUNG, EURA CHA CHA HWANGGUNG, FIGHTING!!!!! 

:hooray2:

Screenshot-20230812-050951-Instagram.jpg

april-2023-08-12-05-15-09-598.jpg

Our dearest Con Uzz re-enacting the scene from the movie where residents are admirably calling Young tak saying, "Daepyo nim, Kim Young tak, Dae pyonim!!!" Cutest resident representative in the world! :D 

God why are they all so funny and cute. I am so happy for them!! Kim SunYoung's laugh makes it even more funny. I love them so much, uri Con Uzz.... :wub:

:heart3:

img.gif

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv1puddL-PZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 1

August 12, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA WEEKEND STAGE GREETINGS HIGHLIGHTS ~ 

april-2023-08-12-07-14-47-103.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv2AXlWLOMj/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv1vqykrO0Y/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv12K-ixKKo/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Spoiler

Yellow peach couple Min Sung and Myung Hwa....:wub:

From PBY IG. 

april-2023-08-12-07-16-16-887.jpg

It's a Busan stage greetings video but the energy they had was incomparable. They were so hyped and made everyone hype in that heat too. :D

https://youtu.be/GqHFXLn1wWE

CGV MOVIE SIGNAL WITH PSJ AND PBY

ENG subtitles by @Anjalifairy

Thank you, dear. :heart:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvuj86VpW0w/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 1