[Movie 2019] Parasite, 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or, Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, and Oscars

sadiesmith

June 17, 2019

Bong Joon-ho's 'Parasite' wins Sydney Film Festival top prize

SEOUL, June 17 (Yonhap) -- South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" has grabbed the Sydney Film Prize, the main award of the 2019 Sydney Film Festival (SFF), according to the festival's homepage Monday.

The awarding of the AUD60,000 (US$41,288) cash prize, which took place during the festival's closing ceremony at the State Theatre in Sydney on Sunday (local time), follows the tragicomedy's winning of the prestigious Palme D'Or at Cannes in late May.

"'Parasite' has an outrageous disregard for genre conventions. ... It is tender and brutal, beautiful and harsh, funny and tragic, and a masterwork in its exploration of class," Jury president John Maynard said.

The family satire will be released in Australia on June 27.

Bong's action-adventure film "Okja" was screened as the closing film at the 2017 SFF.

'Parasite' wins top film prize in Sydney

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

Cannes-winning Korean auteur Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" won the Sydney Film Prize, the top prize at this year's Sydney Film Festival. 

According to the film festival, the director received the trophy and prize money during the closing ceremony at the State Theatre in Sydney, Sunday. Earlier in late May, Bong's tragicomedy won Cannes Film Festival's most coveted Palme D'Or, making Korean film history. 

The Sydney Film Prize is awarded to the most "audacious, cutting-edge and courageous" film in the festival's official competition. John Maynard, jury president of the festival, was quoted as saying, "Parasite has an outrageous disregard for genre conventions ― it is tender and brutal; beautiful and harsh; funny and tragic and a masterwork in its exploration of class."

The director's 2017 film "Okja" was selected as the closing film at the same film festival in the past. Australian movie fans can Bong's latest film when it is released in the country on June 27. 

In the meantime, Bong's film, telling the story of two families, one rich and one poor, continues to show strong ticket sales at the local box office. Currently ranked second, the film has attracted over 8 million moviegoers since its May 30 release. 

'Parasite' was sold to film contributors of a record 192 foreign countries. The film was released in France, on June 5, and showed a record first-week box office performance for a Korean movie, attracting some 260,000 viewers in the country. 

It will be released in Switzerland on June 19, followed by Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and others the same month. Also included countries are Romania and the Netherlands in November and Hungary in December. 

The release date for the North American market is set for Oct. 11, during the wild "Oscar Race" season, when many Oscar contenders will be screened. 

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr 

Spoiler

Bong Joon-ho's 'Parasite' grabs Sydney Film Prize after winning Palme D'Or at Cannes

Source: Arirang news

South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's 'Parasite' has won the Sydney Film Festival's main award, the Sydney Film Prize.

Just weeks after becoming the first South Korean filmmaker to win the prestigious Palme D'Or at Cannes, Bong received the Sydney award on Sunday at the festival's closing ceremony.

The festival's Jury President said 'Parasite' "has an outrageous disregard for genre conventions," and is a "masterwork in its exploration of class."

Two years ago, Bong's previous film 'Okja' was selected as the closing film at the festival.

'Parasite' goes on nationwide release in Australia on June 27th.

Reporter : siyoungchoi@arirang.com

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.hancinema.net/actress-lee-jung-eun-talks-about-sudden-fame-after-parasite-role-130816-amp.html

LogoHanCinemaAMP.jpg

Actress Lee Jung-eun Talks About Sudden Fame After 'Parasite' Role

photo1074335.jpg

Actress Lee Jung-eun poses at the Cannes Film Festival in France on May 22. /Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

Until recently, Lee Jung-eun was an actress whose versatility won her many supporting roles in TV series and films, but who could walk down the street largely unrecognized.

But things have changed since she starred as a housekeeper in director Bong Joon-ho's much-acclaimed film "Parasite", which won the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival last month.

Reflecting on her rising public profile, Lee said recently, "I once went to see an eye doctor and he seemed to be more focused on talking about "Parasite" than treating my eyes. And I also got a text from an acquaintance I haven't heard from for ages", Lee said.

"Parasite" was Lee's third project with Bong. The first was "Mother - 2009". She only had a bit part in that film, but it led to her taking on the voice role of the titular, genetically modified giant pig in the film "Okja" in 2017. To perfect her performance, she even spent time at a pig farm, where she practiced making pig sounds more realistic.

Lee was offered the housekeeper role in "Parasite" at a preview for "Okja". Bong asked her to "empty [her] schedule for the next year", and days later sent her a storyboard image depicting a character that seemed to be "pushing something" while "being hung on the wall horizontally". She recalled, "The character was in a bizarre posture, which had me thinking a lot of things like, 'Should I learn gymnastics?' or 'Is my character locked up somewhere?'"

Because her character holds an important key to how the story unfolds, Lee had to decline all interview requests at Cannes to prevent any spoilers. Asked if she regretted not having the opportunity to speak about herself and her role while the film was the center of attention, she said, "Not at all". She added that "I did what was necessary for the film. On the bright side, I was able to relax while I was there".

June 20, 2019

Cannes-winning 'Parasite' invited to multiple international film festivals

SEOUL, June 20 (Yonhap) -- "Parasite," the winner of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, will hit several other international film festivals in 2019, the movie's management agency said Thursday.

CJ ENM said "Parasite" and director Bong Joon-ho have been invited to three more international film festivals -- the Munich International Film Festival, which begins this month in Germany, the Locarno Film Festival in August in Locarno, Switzerland, and the Lumiere Film Festival in October in Lyon, France.

The Munich film event is the second biggest film festival in Germany, after the Berlin International Film Festival. Bong won the Munich International Film Festival's award for novice director in 2001 with his first full-length film, "Barking Dogs Never Bite."

This photo provided by CJ ENM shows Bong Joon-ho with the top prize from the 2019 Sydney Film Festival. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This photo provided by CJ ENM shows Bong Joon-ho with the top prize from the 2019 Sydney Film Festival. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This year's event is slated for June 27-July 6 during which Bong's seven previous films, including "Barking Dogs Never Bite" and "Snowpiercer," will be screened in a special retrospective program dedicated to the South Korean director.

"Parasite" will compete with nine other films for the festival's top prize, CJ said.

Bong will accompany Song Kang-ho, one of the film's lead actors and a long-time collaborator of Bong, to the Locarno Film Festival to be held Switzerland in August.

There, Song will be given the festival's Excellence Award -- making him the first Asian actor to receive it -- in recognition of his original talent, according to CJ.

The Swiss festival will also feature a special event to screen Bong's much-celebrated 2003 film, "Memories of Murder."

On Sunday, "Parasite" was awarded the top prize at the 2019 Sydney Film Festival.

After recording a rare commercial hit as a global film festival-winning film at home, the movie has started to hit screens outside of South Korea.

It was released in Switzerland last Sunday and is this week set to screen in theaters in Hong Kong and Vietnam on Thursday and Friday, respectively.

Next week, it will be released in Indonesia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan.

Going forward, it will come out in Russia and Thailand in July; the Philippines and Malaysia in August; Germany and Poland in September; the Czech Republic, Spain, Greece and North American countries in October; Romania and the Netherlands in November; and Hungary in December.

Many other countries including Italy, Britain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Israel, Turkey and Japan are currently in discussion with CJ over screening "Parasite."

In South Korea, the film had recorded an accumulated 8.64 million admissions as of Wednesday, following its release here on May 30.

The film, a crossover between a comedy and thriller, deals with the striking economic class division between two families in a dark but hilarious manner.

pbr@yna.co.kr

June 19, 2019

BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE Takes Grand Prize in Sydney
Korean Palme d’Or Continues to Garner Acclaim

Spoiler

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

Just as it begins to wrap up its successful box office run at home, BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE has added another trophy to its chest after coming away from the 66th Sydney International Film Festival with the top prize.

Featuring SONG Kang-ho and LEE Sun-kyun as the patriarchs of families on opposite ends of the social spectrum who become entangled in increasingly unusual ways, PARASITE was awarded the Official Competition and Sydney Film Prize at the State Theatre in Sydney, as well as a AUD 60,000 (USD 41,300) cash prize.

This year’s Jury president, the Australian producer John MAYNARD, said "PARASITE has an outrageous disregard for genre conventions - it is tender and brutal; beautiful and harsh; funny and tragic and a masterwork in its exploration of class."

BONG’s seventh film debuted last month at the Cannes Film Festival, his second competition invite there after 2017’s Okja, and beat out new films by Pedro ALMODOVAR and Quentin TARANTINO to become the first Korean film to ever receive the Palme d’Or, the most prestigious award in world cinema.

The film opened in Korea on May 30 to rave reviews and, fueled by a media storm surrounding its historic win, became an instant box office smash. As of June 18, the film has accumulated 8.55 million viewers (USD 61.74 million), making it the third most successful film in the director’s career, behind The Host (2006) and Snowpiercer (2013).

BONG’s Okja served as the closing film at Sydney two years ago.

Well done and well deserved, Ms. Lee! :)

June 22, 2019

Lee Jung-eun is always up for a challenge
‘Parasite’ star has made a career out of scene-stealing roles in film and television

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21200903.jpg
Lee Jung-eun, who plays a housekeeper in Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite,” has appeared in countless films, TV dramas and plays throughout her 28-year acting career. Clockwise from top are her appearances in the movies “Parasite” (2019), “Another Child” (2019), “The Attorney” (2013) and the JTBC drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Lee will play a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People.” [CJ ENTERTAINMENT, JTBC, NEW, SHOWBOX]

There are many moments in “Parasite” that make the movie a thriller, but the scene where housekeeper Moon-gwang eerily peers into the video intercom screen on a rainy day is probably what keeps moviegoers up at night. 

Yet Lee Jung-eun, the veteran actress who plays the scene-stealer in this year’s Palme d’Or winner, was worried that she wouldn’t be able to pull off the role when she first received the offer to star in Bong Joon-ho’s newest project. 

“I have a cute image, so I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to be scary,” she told the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, during an interview earlier this month. 

Throughout her 28-year acting career, Lee has starred in countless films, dramas and plays, taking on roles that transcend genre, time periods and species. She has played a Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) maidservant in the historical romance drama series “Mister Sunshine” (2018) and voiced the role of a genetically modified pig in the 2017 science fiction movie “Okja,” which was her second film with Bong after “Mother” (2009). 

Although she usually plays minor roles, Lee has received critical acclaim for her appearances, most recently snatching the Best Supporting Actress prize at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards for her role in drama “The Light in Your Eyes” (2019). Having proved her capacity to scare in “Parasite,” Lee’s now getting ready to star in a leading role in OCN’s upcoming thriller series “Hell is Other People,” where she will play a suspicious landlord.

The following are edited excerpts from the interview, where Lee discussed “Parasite” and her colorful acting career. 

Q. This is your third time working with Bong. How were your previous encounters with him? 

A. I met Bong after my third audition for “Mother.” Even though my role was really small, Bong paid a lot of attention and that encouraged me to work even harder. After some time had passed, Bong appeared one day with Won Bin and Song Sae-byeok to watch my performance in the musical “Laundry.” After the show ended, he stood up and started clapping, leading the rest of the audience to give a standing ovation. I think he got the idea to cast me as “Okja” from hearing my voice then. I prepared a lot for “Okja” and tried to imitate the sounds of similar animals. Bong told me that I tried very hard, and suggested that we do more strange things in the future. 

How did you get the offer to star in “Parasite”?

On the day of the film preview for “Okja,” Bong told me to empty my schedule for the next year and handed me a piece of paper with the storyboard for “Parasite.” It showed Moon-gwang leaning against the wall like she was pushing something. When Bong told me it was going to be fun and weird, I got the urge to challenge myself. I read the full script last May before filming and I really liked it. 

Was the intercom scene the first thing you shot for the movie? 

It was the second. Before that, I filmed the scene where I get fired. People tell me they were scared by the intercom scene, but I actually expected it to be funny. Friends who have seen the movie tell me it reminds them of when I‘m drunk. 

What did you do to prepare for the role of Moon-gwang?

I’ve been to a similar home of a wealthy family, and the housekeepers there are really graceful, almost to the point that it’s difficult to distinguish them from the actual homeowner. They all drive nice cars and read books in their free time. I guess this behavior may be requested as part of their job, and that’s what Bong ordered me to do as well. 

In “Parasite” I throw disapproving glances at young Ki-woo when he comes to the Parks’ home for the tutoring job interview, even though my character is in the position of living off the family. I still get excited when I see that scene. 

You’ve worked before with Park Myung-hoon, who plays your character’s husband in “Parasite.” How was acting with him again? 

We first met at the premiere for the play “Liar” in 2005. We were surprised by the casting choice for this movie. We discussed a lot about what a couple without children may be like. 

How did you first get into acting?

My mom told me that I don’t really look like an actor, but I enjoyed dancing and singing in front of people. Park Kwang-jung asked me to help him with a theater production in Daehangno[, central Seoul, in the 1990s]. I made a deal with him that if I helped him out with three productions, he would cast me as an actor. 

What is your philosophy when it comes to acting? 

I generally try to be cheerful during filming. Even when I have a concern, I only express it after I fulfill my responsibilities. I also try to act like the cameras are rolling during rehearsals. I think I’ve learned how to empty myself a bit. I enjoy taking on whatever roles that come my way and contributing to good stories. People say that I was a good actor in “Parasite,” but my role had already been set up that way. It’s the directors and writers that make the projects what they are. Actors only add a bit of creativity. I want to be like Chow Yun-fat. I like how he just lives a regular life, taking the subway and mixing with the public. I would be happy to just have fans occasionally recognize me on the street and ask for a picture. 

BY NA WON-JEONG [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

Photo: CINE21

June 23, 2019

Cannes-winning 'Parasite' tops 9 million admissions in S. Korea

SEOUL, June 23 (Yonhap) -- "Parasite," the winner of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, has surpassed 9 million in ticket sales and is running toward the 10 million milestone, data showed Sunday.

The comedy-thriller film by Bong Joon-ho drew 9,000,284 moviegoers as of Sunday morning, 25 days after its official release on local screens, according to the data from the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

The film surpassed the 5 million threshold on its eighth day on the screen before hitting the 8 million mark on the 17th day.

Currently, "Parasite" is ranked fourth at the box office and is running toward the milestone of 10 million admissions, a rare commercial hit for Korean films recognized at prominent international film festivals.

The film has also set a new Korean cinematic record, having been sold to a record high number of 202 foreign countries.

This photo provided by Cheong Wa Dae shows President Moon Jae-in (C) and first lady Kim Jung-sook watching "Parasite" at a theater in central Seoul on June 23, 2019. (PHOTO NOR FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

This photo provided by Cheong Wa Dae shows President Moon Jae-in (C) and first lady Kim Jung-sook watching "Parasite" at a theater in central Seoul on June 23, 2019. (PHOTO NOR FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Having won the top prize at the 2019 Sydney Film Festival a week earlier, "Parasite" has also been invited to three more international film festivals -- the Munich International Film Festival, which begins this month in Germany; the Locarno Film Festival in August in Locarno, Switzerland; and the Lumiere Film Festival in October in Lyon, France.

The film, a crossover between a comedy and thriller, deals with the striking economic class division between two families in a dark but hilarious manner.

President Moon Jae-in and first lady Kim Jung-sook took time out of their weekend to watch the film at a movie theater in central Seoul.

Flanked by top presidential secretaries including chief of staff Noh Young-min, the presidential couple enjoyed the film at the theater in Seoul's Yongsan district.

Moon earlier lauded "Parasite" for elevating the global reputation of Korean culture one step higher after the film won the top Cannes award and voiced his wish to watch the film.

pbr@yna.co.kr

June 24, 2019

movie1.gif PARASITE is set to sell 10 Million tickets

Source: Yonhap via INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

“Parasite,” the winner of the Palme d’Or at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, has surpassed nine million domestic ticket sales and is heading to 10 million, data showed Sunday.

The dark social satire by director Bong Joon-ho sold 9,000,284 tickets as of Sunday morning, 25 days after its release, according to the data from the Korean Film Council (Kofic).

The film surpassed the five-million threshold on its eighth day before hitting the eight-million mark on its 17th.

“Parasite” is currently ranked fourth at the box office and is headed to the 10-million-ticket milestone, a rare commercial achievement for an art film recognized at an international film festival like Cannes.

The film also set a new Korean cinematic record by having release rights sold to 202 foreign countries.

“Parasite” has been invited to three more international film festivals: the Munich International Film Festival, which begins this month in Germany; the Locarno Film Festival in August in Locarno, Switzerland; and the Lumiere Film Festival in October in Lyon, France. It won the top prize at the 2019 Sydney Film Festival in Sydney, Australia. 

The film, a crossover between a comedy and thriller, deals with the economic class divisions between two Korean families.

June 21, 2019

The Best Movie Stars Chosen by the Audience
Actors Song Kang Ho and Kim Hye Soo are first choice

Source: Naver news, thanks to mistymorning for the gist

In conjunction with the 100 Years of Korean Cinema (1919-2019) anniversary, Maeil Business Newspaper and CGV Research Center have conducted a survey taken by 1,200 moviegoers nationwide for the best man and woman of Korean movies. The survey featured a multiple-answer questionnaire listing the Daejong (Grand Bell) award winners to choose from.

Song Kang Ho, who won the support with 56.2% and Kim Hye Soo, who recorded 58.9% topped the list for male and female actors respectively. 

1st place: Song Kang Ho (56.2) and Kim Hye Soo (58.9)
2nd: Hwang Jung ‌Min (44.8) and Son Ye Jin (39.9)
3rd: Lee Byung Hun (39.2) and Jeon Do Yeon (31.5)
4th: Jo Seung Woo (30.3) and Moon So Ri (26.9)
5th: Choi Min Sik (25.4) and Jeon Ji Hyun (25.2)

2019062_2.jpg

June 24, 2019

Cannes-winning 'Parasite' becomes most-watched Korean film in France

SEOUL, June 24 (Yonhap) -- "Parasite," winner of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, has set a new record in admissions in France among Korean films released there, the film's overseas distributor said Monday.

As of Saturday, the comedy-thriller by Bong Joon-ho had drawn 681,122 moviegoers since its French release on June 5, CJ ENM said.

The ticket sales are the highest for any Korean film released in the European country, surpassing the previous record of 678,049 set by Bong's 2013 feature "Snowpiercer," according to CJ ENM.

"Parasite" also secured the top place on the French box office chart last Monday, outstripping "Men in Black: International" and "X-Men: Dark Phoenix," it added.

In South Korea, "Parasite" is on its way to hit 10 million admissions after passing the 9 million mark on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the film has set a new Korean cinematic record by being sold to 202 foreign countries.

It has so far been released in South Korea, France, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Indonesia, and will hit screens in Singapore, Australia and New Zealand on Thursday and Taiwan on Friday.

Moviegoers in many other countries, including Russia, Germany, Poland, Canada, the United States, Spain, Greece and Hungary, will be able to see the movie in the coming months.

"Parasite" also grabbed the top honor at the 2019 Sydney Film Festival on June 16. The film, which mixes elements of comedy and thriller, deals with the striking economic class division between two families in a dark but hilarious manner.

Source: CINE21

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-jo-yeo-jung-talks-about-her-work-in-parasite-and-beautiful-world-130870-amp.html

LogoHanCinemaAMP.jpg

[HanCinema's News] Jo Yeo-jung Talks About her Work in "Parasite" and "Beautiful World"

miniminiphoto961625.jpg By William Schwartz on 2019/06/24 at 20:16 PST

photo1074792.jpg

Jo Yeo-jung is an actress who fades in and out of public consciousness. While she had a leading role in the 2010 film "The Concubine" and the 2012 drama "Haeundae Lovers", for the most part she has built her reputation off of high profile secondary roles. This year, those roles have been the Palme d'Or winning film "Parasite" and the social consciousness oriented jTBC drama "Beautiful World".

Jo Yeo-jung has said when she first saw the script for "Parasite" she realized the role of Yeon-gyo was excellently underspoken. In the script's backstory, that does not come up in the film proper, Jo Yeo-jung's character got married at the age of twenty-two. This allowed for much subtlety in the range of Jo Yeo-jung's performance of a lifelong wealthy housewife.

Jo Yeo-jung describes the role as being that of a doting mother who has perfectly decorated her children's lives. But since Yeon-gyo herself is not really an adult, her ability to accurately gauge what's best for her family is limited. This is why she falls victim to the grifting poor family, setting off the movie's conflict. However, the extent to which Yeon-gyo's actions can really be called wrong is ambiguous, since her actions do sincerely bring happiness to her own family, which is what she cares about.

Jo Yeo-jung said that the character's speaking style is neither quick nor confident, and that even in sad or severe moments she always has a light comic touch. She doesn't show much variation. So when Park So-dam's character, Gi-jeong, calls Yeon-gyo mistress of the inside, it's not a compliment.

Jo Yeo-jung's character in "Beautiful World" was very much the opposite of this. Jo Yeo-jung has described Eun-joo as being much more furtive and complex, struggling as she does with hiding herself as well as the crimes she has committed. Eun-joo has a much more traditional arc compared to the fairly static Yeon-gyo, as she must come to grips with acknowledging personal failure and thus showing agency in the drama's climactic moments.

Written by William Schwartz

June 25, 2019

Bong Joon-ho Breaks Own Record for France's Most-Watched Korean Film

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2019062500827_0.jpg

Director Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite," which won the top honor at this year's Cannes Film Festival last month, has become the most successful Korean film ever released in France.

According to the film's distributor CJ Entertainment, the film attracted 681,122 viewers as of Saturday, just 18 days after its release there on June 5.

It is the best attendance for any Korean film released in the European country.

The previous record was held by another of Bong's films, "Snowpiercer," which drew 678,049 viewers in 2013.

June 26, 2019

HanCinema's News

"Parasite" Emerges as Early Contender for Oscars Next Year

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1075433.jpg

A recently published report by the American entertainment periodical Variety has singled out "Parasite" as a possible contender for next year's Academy Awards ceremony. While the mention is very brief, it has attracted strong attention, because "Parasite" is discussed alongisde domestic American films for a potential Best Picture nomination - it was not pigeonholed as being a strong contender only in the Best Foreign Film category.

The report is admittedly limited in outlook, as for now it has to limit itself to films that came out in the first half of the year. The column also specifically disclaims reasonable discussion of the Best Foreign Film category for future columns - which makes "Parasite"'s mention all the more surprising - although perhaps unavoidable, given that the near universally acclaimed film won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival by an all accounts wide margin.

Director Bong Joon-ho has been reassured by the strong positive reaction to the film. "Parasite" has also benefited from a strong domestic response to the tune of over nine million viewers. A tentative October release is planned for "Parasite" in the North American market. The movie has already broken box office records in France - the delay is most likely to insure that "Parasite" will continue to dominate awards discussion late in the year when there will be more well known competition.

- William Schwartz

June 26, 2019

BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE Adds Karlovy Vary and Locarno to Festival Calendar
Korean Palme d’Or Winner to Be Screened at Prestigious Festivals

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

DBXGZBfHRpsQlpeHbpiB.jpg

PARASITE, the award-winning box office smash that marks director BONG Joon-ho’s return to Korean filmmaking after a decade away, has added a pair of prestigious events to its festival lineup. The acclaimed film is set to screen this summer at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (KVIFF) in the Czech Republic and the Locarno International Film Festival in Switzerland, both among the oldest film festivals in the world, founded in 1946, the same year as the Cannes Film Festival.

The 54th KVIFF is taking place from June 28 to July 6 while the 72nd edition of Locarno will take place from August 7 to 17. The film’s star SONG Kang-ho will also be in attendance at the latter as he will become the first ever Asian actor to receive the Excellence Award.

BONG’s latest made history last month by becoming the first Korean film in competition to take home the Palme d’Or from the Cannes Film Festival. The film went on to win the top prize from the Sydney International Film Festival this month and has turned into a box office behemoth at home, welcoming well over nine million spectators to date.

SONG Kang-ho and LEE Sun-kyun play the heads of two families at the opposite ends of the social spectrum that become entangled in unusual ways. CHOI Woo-shik, PARK So-dam and JANG Hye-jin form the rest of SONG’s family, while JO Yeo-jeong plays LEE’s wife.

Beyond festival dates, the film has also begun to screen around the world, after being pre-sold to a record 192 countries. Among those is France, where it has become the most well-attended Korean theatrical release ever in the market, which close to 700,000 admissions after 18 days on release. Meanwhile, distributor Neon is expected to release the film in North America on October 11.

June 27, 2019

HanCinema's News

Choi Wooshik Thanks KOFIC for Efforts Promoting "Parasite" at Reception

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1075925.jpg

On June 26th the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) held a reception celebrating "Parasite"'s Palme d'Or win at the Cannes Film Festival. The purpose of the event was to act as a rewards bonus for those who had supported the film's production and distribution.

Director Bong Joon-ho, cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo, and other crew members were there. Most of the cast was also present, with Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Jo Yeo-jung, Choi Wooshik, Park So-dam, Jang Hye-jin, Lee Jung-eun, and Park Myung-hoon-I all in attendance.

photo1075924.jpg

KOFIC Chairman Oh Seok-geun, himself a former director, described "Parasite"'s success at Cannes as being the crowning effort of one hundred years of Korean film history. He promised to support future efforts to raise the profile of South Korean film on the international stage.

photo1075923.jpg

Choi Wooshik said that the success of "Parasite" was only made possible by all the support the production received. Director Bong Joon-ho also thanked those present for making "Parasite"'s domestic wide release and box office success possible.

Kind words were not reserved solely for Korean participants in the project. The Venice International Film Festival and the Toronto International Film Festival were also singled out for their support. Domestically, "Parasite" recently passed the nine million viewer milestone.

Written by William Schwartz

I just saw Parasite the other night!

The movie had me at the edge of my seat all the time! And even now I know the twist and the ending, I still want to watch it again :thumbsup:

The first half hour is the trailer, with more details. And we learned about how Ki Taek's family handle their problems. They really are a smooth talker family :sweatingbullets:

Then Park Seo Joon came to offer Ki Woo the position as English teacher for Da Hye (daughter). When he got accepted, he proceeded to get his sister Ki Jeong "Jessica" as the art teacher for Da Song (son). And after that the "fun" begins...

All the reviews are right and Palme d'Or is very well deserved. 

Most importantly, Lee Sun Kyun is gorgeous as CEO Park!

He's not a bad person. Yes, he's a snob. But not surprising by looking at how he lived.

And, did I say that he looked gorgeous? Because he is. It's the confidence, I guess...

No trace of PDH at all, he became the perfect rich and successful man.

But... MY COUNTRY CENSORED THE SOFA LOVESCENE! :rage:

They cut the scene off! Ugh, I'm still angry about it. They rated the movie 17+ in my country, and the interviews said it was nothing explicit so I thought it will pass the censorship...

It's kind of make the experience felt incomplete... Because from the interviews it was said that the scene shows the duplicity of CEO Park...

Is there a possibility for Parasite to be on Netflix? Maybe next year after US screening?

I want to watch the movie again, with the sofa scene. It's important. For science. 

Kidding aside, in my opinion, it's a movie you need to watch more than once. I feel the first watching for me is for satisfying my curiosity about the plot. But, there's a lot more layers that asking to be peeled...

Too bad @sadiesmith has to wait until October...

What about you @rubie? When will your country screen Parasite?

@africandramalover, if you see this movie when it comes to your area, we would like to hear your thoughts as well. :)

But look! Parasite actors dominate this June actor's brand reputation index (or whatever the official name is):

1. Song Kang Ho

2. Choi Woo Shik

3. Im Soo Jeong 

4. Lee Seon Kyun

5. Park So Dam

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/hot-issues/view/2019/06/469236/

It's a rare treat to see LSK so high on the list. Congrats!

On 6/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, sadiesmith said:

@rubie, thank you for posting all these articles here. Unfortunately I can't read with abandon as I am trying to stay away from spoilers. It's so hard because there are so many analysis written about it, and by the time I see it (late October, I think) the fever will have passed. :(

Sorry for the late response as well as the numerous posts (particularly the reviews). It can't be helped that PARASITE news all came at once especially after winning the Cannes top prize and then the release in Korea soon after. Unlike the Kdramas where everyone including the non-Korean fans can watch almost instantly (raw) and less than a day waiting for the subs, Korean movies are not directly accessible unless one is in Korea. Even then, fans attending the stage greetings for instance, would not be able to watch in leisure as their time is extremely limited and rushed to see their favorite actors. Not to mention the movie will not be English subbed.. luckily Parasite has been wonderfully subbed for the foreign fans.

Anyway, thanks again for starting the thread for the movie. At least we have thread to share all about the movie, starting it later is probably better because it's already been released. Still, movie threads are always a lonely place unlike the drama threads buzzing with discussion after each episode. Only after watching the movie will we see fans coming to check out the thread and share their thoughts. Hopefully it will still be as exciting and interesting to share no matter when that happens.

18 hours ago, widala said:

I just saw Parasite the other night!

The movie had me at the edge of my seat all the time! And even now I know the twist and the ending, I still want to watch it again :thumbsup:

Is there a possibility for Parasite to be on Netflix? Maybe next year after US screening?

I want to watch the movie again, with the sofa scene. It's important. For science. 

Kidding aside, in my opinion, it's a movie you need to watch more than once. I feel the first watching for me is for satisfying my curiosity about the plot. But, there's a lot more layers that asking to be peeled...

Too bad @sadiesmith has to wait until October...

What about you @rubie? When will your country screen Parasite?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of the movie, finally we have a personal fan-review and not just the articles from the media & critics filling the thread. It might be shown on Netflix because Dir. Bong Joon Ho's previous movie OKJA was released on Netflix in 2017.

Truthfully, I'm not able to watch the movie on the big screen. So, it will take much longer to wait and watch it somehow. In particular, I love BJH's The Host (awesomely terrifying) and Okja (bittersweet & endearing), so there's not a single doubt about Parasite .. totally worth the wait.

June 29, 2019

June Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

June Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from May 27 to June 28.

The cast of director Bong Joon Ho’s new film “Parasite,” which recently made history as the first Korean movie ever to win the prestigious Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, dominated this month’s rankings. Six of the top 10 spots on the list went to the stars of “Parasite,” with Song Kang Ho and Choi Woo Shik topping the rankings at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively. Lee Sun Gyun came in at No. 4 for June, followed by Park So Dam at No. 5, Jo Yeo Jeong at No. 6, and Lee Jung Eun at No. 8.

Song Kang Ho earned a total brand reputation index of 9,400,269 for the month, while his co-star Choi Woo Shik scored a total index of 6,990,409. High-ranking phrases in Song Kang Ho’s keyword analysis included “Parasite,” “Bong Joon Ho,” and “film festival,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “certain,” “trust,” and “transformation.”

Actress Im Soo Jung, who is currently starring in the new tvN drama “Search: WWW,” took third place for the month with a brand reputation index of 6,625,530.

Check out this month’s top 30 below!

1. Song Kang Ho
2. Choi Woo Shik
3. Im Soo Jung
4. Lee Sun Gyun
5. Park So Dam
6. Jo Yeo Jeong

7. Han Ji Min
8. Lee Jung Eun
9. Park Bo Young
10. Park Seo Joon
11. Lee Jung Jae