[Movie 2019] Parasite, 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or, Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, and Oscars

sadiesmith

I didn't go down the list far enough! We have 6 Parasite actors occupying the top 8 spots in the month of June!

https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/25-popular-movie-stars-korea-right-now-june/

Here Are The 25 Most Popular Movie Stars In Korea Right Now

Everyone turns up to see these stars on the silver screen.

eM8An9rgbyNqVMppSPzc8-OulX9cBOTG19tNNUUf

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed their brand reputation rankings for movie stars for the month of June.

The cast of Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite dominates the top ten of this month’s list with six of the ten spots going to the film’s stars, Song Kang Ho and Choi Woo Sik lead the pack. The movie made history by becoming the first Korean movie to win the prestigious Palme d’Or at the Cannes film festival. Ca

1. Song Kang Ho

XGaqXGxkkE-9JZpsLv85k0vtLWXd_w_XHEWpPYcF

2. Choi Woo Sik

ChoiWooSik

4. Lee Sun Kyun

LeeSunKyun

5. Park So Dam

ParkSoDam

6. Jo Yeo Jeong

JoYeoJeong

8. Lee Jung Eun

FRANCE-CANNES-FILM-FESTIVAL

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, Best Picture at the Oscars? Not just in the Foreign Film category? Whoa! October cannot come soon enough!!!

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-parasite-emerges-as-early-contender-for-oscars-next-year-130945.html

[HanCinema's News] "Parasite" Emerges as Early Contender for Oscars Next Year

miniminiphoto961625.jpg By William Schwartz on 2019/06/26 at 20:16 PST
Save

2019/06/26 | 151 views | Permalink

photo1075433.jpg

A recently published report by the American entertainment periodical Variety has singled out "Parasite" as a possible contender for next year's Academy Awards ceremony. While the mention is very brief, it has attracted strong attention, because "Parasite" is discussed alongisde domestic American films for a potential Best Picture nomination - it was not pigeonholed as being a strong contender only in the Best Foreign Film category.

The report is admittedly limited in outlook, as for now it has to limit itself to films that came out in the first half of the year. The column also specifically disclaims reasonable discussion of the Best Foreign Film category for future columns - which makes "Parasite"'s mention all the more surprising - although perhaps unavoidable, given that the near universally acclaimed film won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival by an all accounts wide margin.

Director Bong Joon-ho has been reassured by the strong positive reaction to the film. "Parasite" has also benefited from a strong domestic response to the tune of over nine million viewers. A tentative October release is planned for "Parasite" in the North American market. The movie has already broken box office records in France - the delay is most likely to insure that "Parasite" will continue to dominate awards discussion late in the year when there will be more well known competition.

- William Schwartz

"Parasite" is directed by Bong Joon-ho, and features Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Jo Yeo-jung, Choi Wooshik, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun. Release date in Korea: 2019/05/30.

Been meaning to post this previous update. It's good to see that PARASITE has been quite extensively highlighted on Soompi mainsite.

June 14, 2019

“Parasite” Director Bong Joon Ho On Why He Needed Park Seo Joon For The Film

Source: Soompi by R. Jun

âParasiteâ Director Bong Joon Ho On Why He Needed Park Seo Joon For The Film

“Parasite,” the first Korean film to win the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, has released new stills of Park Seo Joon! Alongside the release, which comes two weeks after the film’s premiere in Korea, director Bong Joon Ho talked about why he cast the actor for the role of Min Hyuk.

“Parasite” is a dark comedy thriller about Ki Woo (played by Choi Woo Sik), the son of an impoverished family who enters the home of Mr. Park (Lee Sun Gyun), a wealthy man, in order to interview for a tutoring position. This meeting sets off an inevitable, unpredictable chain of events.

In the film, Min Hyuk (Park Seo Joon) is a student at a top university who grew up in a wealthy family. In all respects, he stands in stark contrast to Ki Woo (Choi Woo Sik). Despite their different backgrounds, Min Hyuk and Ki Woo are very close, and Min Hyuk, though his appearance is relatively short, plays an important role as the bridge between Ki Woo’s and Mr. Park’s family.

Director Bong Joon Ho said, “Min Hyuk is an almost otherworldly character, and he’s very important to Ki Woo. Because of this, I needed someone like Park Seo Joon who just has a presence about him. Moreover, Park Seo Joon and Choi Woo Sik are close friends in real life, so because of the natural chemistry they have, we were really satisfied with the result.”

park-seo-joon-parasite-0.jpg

park-seo-joon-parasite-3.jpg

Spoiler

park-seo-joon-parasite-4.jpg

Source (1)

just watched it ,so dark yet entertaining,at first its like dark comedy but suddenly changed to thriller,just like a roller coaster.

dir bong know how to emphasize the gap of social life in korea (poor and rich),how korean think about north korean and real estate agent.

9,5/10 for me

Just watched the movie and my head is still reeling from Bong Joon Ho's brilliance. Amazing. Reminded me a lot of Koreeda's Shoplifters which won last year's Palm d'or.

Not quite enough Lee Seon Kyun!

Will try and write a longer review later, when I've recovered..

9 hours ago, justamom said:

Just watched the movie and my head is still reeling from Bong Joon Ho's brilliance. Amazing. Reminded me a lot of Koreeda's Shoplifters which won last year's Palm d'or.

Not quite enough Lee Seon Kyun!

Will try and write a longer review later, when I've recovered..

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

Would still love to read your longer review.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, rubie said:

Truthfully, I'm not able to watch the movie on the big screen. So, it will take much longer to wait and watch it somehow. In particular, I love BJH's The Host (awesomely terrifying) and Okja (bittersweet & endearing), so there's not a single doubt about Parasite .. totally worth the wait.

That's too bad...

I will also wait with you until the movie comes out where I could watch it again and again...

Curious how the movie would do in the Oscar...

Will the movie be screened in your country, @africandramalover?

For me, the experience after watching Parasite is a bit similar after watching My Ahjussi... The ending gave me all sort of feels and thoughts, that wouldn't let me move on....

@sadiesmith asked, at Lee Seon Gyun thread, how Parasite's reception in my country (I hope you don't mind I answer the question here).

It was pretty well received. Some of my country's film makers recommended the movie. The reviews from movie critics and regular people are very positive. Although there's always that " it's not my cup tea" or "it didn't live up to the hype" comments but they are the minority.

On a lighter note, there's also a lot of audiences who comment just how hot LSK is as Mr. Park :lol:

You're right, @justamom, not enough LSK!

• sadiesmith changed the title to [Movie 2019] Parasite 기생충 by Bong Joon-ho - First Korean film to win Palme D'or at Cannes

July 1, 2019

HanCinema's News

"Parasite" Compared to Other South Korean Films That Premiered at Cannes

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1077214.jpg

Over the weekend "Parasite" passed the nine and a half million viewer mark and looks poised to break the ten million benchmark soon. While much of "Parasite"'s success is attributed to the Cannes Film Festival, these domestic numbers are unprecedented compared to previous South Korean films that competed there.

photo1077213.jpg

The closest to match "Parasite"' was "The Handmaiden" in 2016 with 4,288,869 admissions. "Old Boy" in 2003 follows with 3,269,000 admissions. That figure is an estimate, as it is based on data from before KOFIC's current, more accurate system of keeping track of box office totals. "The Housemaid - 2010" had 2,267,579 admissions and it is only with "Thirst" from 2009 that the next four highest performing films put together exceed "Parasite"'s performance.

photo1077212.jpg

"Parasite" has even exceeded the box office total of director Bong Joon-ho's previous film, the more deliberately blockbuster oriented "Snowpiercer" which had 9,351,212 admissions. However, "Parasite" is unlikely to beat director Bong Joon-ho's all-time best performing movie, "The Host" with 10,917,400 admissions.

- Written by William Schwartz

A western remake of Parasite? Would that work?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3570595/english-language-remake-bong-joon-hos-parasite-already-talked/

English-Language Remake of Bong Joon-ho’s ‘Parasite’ Already Being Talked About

56b4329a2183e1016df75dc118dfb6b0?s=46&d=

Published 4 hours ago on July 2, 2019

By John Squires 

PST_STI-MKT-01-e1559571488145.jpg

The Host, Snowpiercer and Okja director Bong Joon-ho‘s Parasite (read our review) recently premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and notably took home the prestigious Palme d’Or (the first Korean film to ever win the award), and though the film doesn’t even release here in the States until October, talks of an American remake have already begun.

Reported by Indiewire, South Korean company CJ Entertainment is looking to develop a slate of remakes of South Korean hits for overseas markets, and they’re currently considering an English-language remake of Parasite. “We are in very early talks right now,” said Francis Chung, vice president global business and head of U.S. productions at CJ Entertainment.

Details are being kept under wraps for now, the site notes.

In the meantime, NEON will release Parasite in NY & LA on October 11th.

In Parasite, “Meet the Park Family: the picture of aspirational wealth. And the Kim Family, rich in street smarts but not much else. Be it chance or fate, these two houses are brought together and the Kims sense a golden opportunity. Masterminded by college-aged Ki-woo, the Kim children expediently install themselves as tutor and art therapist to the Parks. Soon, a symbiotic relationship forms between the two families. But this new ecosystem is fragile, and soon enough greed and class prejudice threaten to upend the Kims’ newfound comfort.”

Song Kang Ho (Snowpiercer, The Host) stars as Ki-taek alongside Lee Sun-kyun (A Hard Day) and Cho Yeo-jeong (Obsessed) as the Parks, and Choi Woo Shik (Okja), Park So-dam (The Priests) and Chang Hyae Jin (Poetry) as, respectively, Ki-taek’s son, daughter and wife.

• Guest changed the title to [Movie 2019] Parasite, 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or at Cannes

I guess we can all breathe easily (for now) :sweatingbullets:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1336305wpp/cj-entertainment-responds-to-reports-that-parasite-will-get-a-hollywood-remake

CJ Entertainment Responds To Reports That “Parasite” Will Get A Hollywood Remake

Jul 3, 2019
by C. Hong

CJ Entertainment, the investment distribution company for the award-winning film “Parasite,” has responded to reports that the film will be getting a remake in the United States.

On July 2, IndieWire (an online publication covering film industry news) reported that CJ Entertainment was in early talks for a Hollywood remake of “Parasite.” “Parasite” was the first Korean film to win the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival and has been a box office success in South Korea.

IndieWire also reported that the original “Parasite” will be distributed in the United States (Los Angeles and New York) in October.

On July 3, a source from CJ Entertainment told OSEN, “As the winner of the Palme d’Or, and also as director Bong Joon Ho’s latest film, it is true that there is a lot of interest in the movie overseas. However, there are no concrete plans or talks for a remake.”

The source added, “We think [these rumors spread] because there is currently a lot of interest in the film ‘Parasite.’ While talks are progressing, none of them have yielded results.”

“Parasite” tells the story of Gi Taek (Song Kang Ho) and his family, who are all unemployed. When his eldest son Gi Woo (Choi Woo Shik) begins tutoring the daughter of a wealthy man (Lee Sun Gyun), the two families start to interact in unexpected ways.

The rights to distribute the film abroad have been sold to 202 countries around the world, including India, South Africa, Iceland, and Bulgaria. France was the first international territory to release the film in local theaters.

July 4, 2019

'Parasite' becomes best ticket-selling S. Korean movie in Vietnam of all time

SEOUL, July 4 (Yonhap) -- "Parasite," which won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes, became the highest-grossing South Korean movie shown in Vietnam of all time, its distribution company said Thursday.

The comic satire directed by Bong Joon-ho surpassed US$1.95 million in ticket sales in Vietnam as of Monday in the first 11 days of its run, according to CJ Entertainment.

It outnumbered the former record of $1.86 million set by "Train to Busan" in 2016.

Released on June 21, "Parasite" topped the Vietnamese box office in the first week and was in second place after Walt Disney's animated film "Toy Story 4" in the following week, CJ Entertainment said.

"Parasite," which became the first South Korean film to win the Cannes' highest prize, has attracted more than 9.6 million viewers in South Korea.

The image provided by CJ Entertainment shows a scene from "Parasite." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The image provided by CJ Entertainment shows a scene from "Parasite." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

brk@yna.co.kr

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-parasite-and-jeon-jong-seo-among-24th-choonsa-movie-festival-nominations-131277-amp.html

LogoHanCinemaAMP.jpg

[HanCinema's News] "Parasite" and Jeon Jong-seo Among 24th Choonsa Movie Festival Nominations

By William Schwartz on 2019/07/05 at 22:06 PST

photo1078854.jpg

On July 18th the Choonsa Movie Festival award ceremony will be held. The Choonsa Film Festival is the most prestigious of the various South Korean award ceremonies. In contrast to the other ones, which have broader voting bodies and focus principally on mainstream films, the Choonsa Film Festival's nominations are decided by five highly respected local film critics and voted on by South Korean film directors.

"Parasite" leads the field with eight nominations spread out across seven categories. For best director (Bong Joon-ho), best cinematography (Hong Kyung-pyo), best actor (Song Kang-ho and Choi Wooshik), best actress (Jo Yeo-jung), best supporting actress (Lee Jung-eun), and best supporting actor (Park Myung-hoon-I).

"Burning" and "Extreme Job" follow with five nominations apiece. "Burning" has best director (Lee Chang-dong), best cinematography (Hong Kyung-pyo), best actor (Yoo Ah-in), best supporting actor (Steven Yeun), and best new actress (Jeon Jong-seo). "Extreme Job" has best director (Lee Byeong-heon-I), best script (Moon Choong-il), best actor (Ryu Seung-ryong), best supporting actor (Jin Seon-kyu), and best new actor (Gong Myung).

"The Spy Gone North", "Believer", and "Last Child" had four nominations apiece. "Microhabitat", "After My Death", "Dark Figure of Crime", "Miss Baek", "Juror 8", "Birthday", "Little Forest", "The Great Battle", "Sunset in My Hometown", "Ode to the Goose", "Herstory", "Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum", "Beautiful Days", "Park Hwa-young", "The Witch : Part 1. The Subversion" also received nominations across ten categories.

Written by William Schwartz

• sadiesmith changed the title to [Movie 2019] Parasite 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or at Cannes

July 11, 2019

Favorite films come to life in Lotte Annual Art Project

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily // CINE21

While organizers of the film industries are hosting various events to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Korean Cinema, Lotte Annual Art Project (LAAP) will also celebrate it with style. 

The project is in second year to host simultaneous exhibitions in Lotte galleries across the country under one unifying theme. Last year was fashion, and this year is films under the title of “Behind the Scenes.” Added atop with director Bong Joon-ho’s achievement of winning the Palme d’Or for “Parasite,” the project had singled out films as an important part of local popular culture. 

[FEATURE 㣠Korean Movie lOO Anniversary Review] There is no expiration date for the questions left by the film. _ 100 Movies by 100 Korean contemporary artists to reinterpret the scenes of Korean movies in a sensible way. > From the exhibition, we introduce carefully selected works of collaboration and art work of film and art that can be encountered at Lotte Gallery all over the country from the exhibition to the Omaju exhibition of the movie "Grand Budapest Hotel" of Wes Anderson.  ð§ð» â ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ Christmas # Mother # Joint Security Area JSA # Parasite # Grand Budapest Hotel

“Through this project, we wanted to provide the viewers [of the exhibitions] a space to talk about their most memorable scenes in films,” art director of the Lotte Gallery Kim Hyun-kyung said as she explained the motive behind the exhibitions at the press conference on Friday. “Usually when we watch films, we are only left with feelings or memories of the scenes. So we wanted the viewers to remanence and share with others the special moments or powerful emotions they’ve experienced while watching films through the artist’s works.”

At the Jamsil branch, eastern Seoul, artworks of 100 contemporary artists are displayed in the area which reinterpret their favorite cinematic scenes across canvas. Moreover, the organizers asked film-related collectors such as Yang Hae-nam, Choi Kyu-sung and culture critic Choi Ji-woong to share their collections with the audience. Yang is an avid collector of film posters, currently in possession of 2,400 posters from 1989. Choi is a graphic designer of film posters, postcards, archive books, and more and will share his works with the audience. Lastly, culture critic Choi collects the LPs and albums of the films’ original soundtracks. 

Besides Jamsil branch, other exhibitions are being held across total of 10 branches- four in Seoul, and each one at Incheon, Daejeon, Ilsan, Daegu, Gwangju and Busan. 

In Incheon, under the sub title of “Wes Anderson: Nostalgia,” the organizers want the audience to indirectly experience the scenes in the director’s representative work “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (2014) by recreating the scent that Gustave wears, the L’Air de Panache cologne, through the local brand Sutome Apothecary. Inside the gallery, the audience can also taste a whip of Mendl’s cake that also acts as a scene-stealer in the film. 

Other exhibitions include “Summer Cinema: Rho Jae Oon Project in Avenuel” held at the main branch in Myeong-dong, “Hidden Pictures in Cinema” in Yeongdeungpo, and Ilsan branch’s “Bric_Behind the Scenes.” All the exhibitions will be held until July 28. 

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

Spoiler

Archived