[Movie 2019] Parasite, 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or, Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, and Oscars

sadiesmith

February 13, 2020

After Oscars, ‘Parasite’ stars are booked and busy: Now beloved at home and abroad, the actors have a lot on their plates this year

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

12194223.jpg
From left, actors Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Choi Woo-shik, Jang Hye-jin, director Bong Joon-ho, Park So-dam, Park Myung-hoon and Cho Yeo-jeong pose for a photo backstage after the Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday. [YONHAP]

After snatching up four Oscars, including Best Picture, at the Academy Awards on Sunday night, the cast of “Parasite” quickly became some of the biggest stars in Hollywood and all around the world.

After winning their awards, Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun, Jang Hye-jin and Park Myung-hoon mingled alongside Hollywood megastars such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Renee Zellweger and fit right in with the crowd.

The cast returned to Korea on Tuesday morning, and even after a 13-hour flight, they were beaming with pride, smiling for the photographers who were there to greet them. After the whirlwind success of “Parasite,” naturally many people are wondering what’s next for the film’s stars.

The most attention is on Song, a major star in Korea in his own right, who has come to be known internationally as director Bong Joon-ho’s muse for the number of films he has done with the award-winning director. “Parasite” was Song’s fourth lead role in a Bong film after “Memories of Murder” (2003), “The Host” (2006) and “Snowpiercer” (2013).

When asked if he was willing to work with Bong for a fifth time at a press conference after the Academy Awards, Song sarcastically replied that he was “not so sure.”

“[The characters I played] were so tiring. I had to live in an underground apartment and had to get soaked in the rain. Maybe if the next character is like the CEO [that Lee Sun-kyun played], I’ll think about it,” Song said.

Song’s next film is “Emergency Announcement” (translated) from director Han Jae-rim. The disaster movie is set on an airplane on high alert due to an epidemic happening outside. It’s the actor’s third collaboration with Han after “The Show Must Go On” (2007) and “The Face Reader” (2013). Anticipation for the film is high as it stars Song and actor Lee Byung-hun in the lead roles.

Many are also curious about what’s in store for the young stars of “Parasite” Choi Woo-shik and Park So-dam.

Choi’s schedule for the rest of the year is packed, starting with director Yoon Sung-hyun’s upcoming thriller “Time to Hunt,” set to be released in the local box office on Feb. 26. Choi appears alongside actors Lee Je-hoon, Ahn Jae-hong and Park Jung-min in Yoon’s second feature film after his widely acclaimed “Bleak Night” (2011).

The crime film “The Policeman’s Lineage” from director Lee Kyu-man is still in production and is scheduled to be released later this year. Choi stars in the film with Cho Jin-woong.

He will also appear in the highly-anticipated “Wonderland” from director Kim Tae-yong, which is set to begin filming later this year. The film will star big names Bae Suzy, Park Bo-gum and Tang Wei. The movie is set in “Wonderland,” a virtual world where people get to see loved ones that they have lost using artificial intelligence. Choi will play a mediator of the land.

The actor has also reportedly received an offer from American film distribution company A24 to play the male lead in the upcoming romantic film “Past Lives” from director Celine Song. His agency Management Soop released a simple statement last month saying that the actor was deliberating the offer. The film is about childhood sweethearts from Korea meeting again later in life. Choi, who grew up in Canada and speaks English, may be the “Parasite” actor who would be the most comfortable taking on a role in an American production.

Park So-dam’s next film is next month’s “Fukuoka” from director Zhang Lu. The movie is about two men and a girl named So-dam (played by Park) who end up traveling together. The two men are former friends who loved the same woman 28 years ago. They are played by veteran actors Kwon Hye-hyo and Yoon Je-moon.

She will also appear in the upcoming crime action film “Special Delivery” (translated). Park plays the lead role of a driver named Eun-ha, who is willing to deliver anything as long as her customers can pay her cash. In the film, Park is reunited with child actor Jung Hyun-joon, her “Parasite” co-star who played Da-song, the Park family’s youngest child.

The film’s other stars have been keeping busy working on various television dramas and films as well.

Cho received rave reviews from viewers of the KBS drama series “Woman of 9.9 Billion,” which wrapped up last month. In the series, Cho played a role that would be entirely unfamiliar to people who only know her as the naive stay-at-home mother Yeon-gyo in “Parasite.” She portrayed Seo-yeon, a woman suffering from domestic violence who one day comes upon a large sum of money that she uses to start a new life with.

Lee Sun-kyun is preparing to start filming the movie “King Maker.” In the film, he will play a strategist, a hidden but important figure who sets the atmosphere for the presidential campaign of aspiring politician Kim Woon-beom (played by Seol Kyung-gu). Lee recently wrapped the JTBC drama series “Diary of a Prosecutor” and also contributed his voice to the comedy “Mr. Zoo: The Missing VIP,” playing a goat.

Jang is currently appearing alongside Park Myung-hoon in the popular tvN drama series “Crash Landing on You.” Jang plays the mother of main character Seo-dan, and Park plays her uncle. As they come from an elite North Korean family, some viewers hardly recognize the duo as they went through a radical transition from their shocking portrayal of the poor couple living in the rich family’s home in “Parasite.” Park will also appear in “The Policeman’s Lineage” with Choi and is preparing to start shooting the films “Save Us from the Evil” (translated) by director Hong Won-chan and “Vacation” by director Yook Sang-hyo.

However, it seems like the title of busiest actor among the eight belongs to Lee Jung-eun. Lee wasn’t even able to participate in the press conference after the Oscars because she had to go straight back to Korea due to her shooting schedule.

She currently appears in the Netflix drama series “My Holo Love” which was released last Friday and is currently shooting the KBS2 drama series “I Went Away Once” (translated), which will start airing next month.

Lee’s face was seemingly always on television last year as she appeared in the JTBC drama series “The Light in Your Eyes,” the OCN series “Hell Is Other People” and “When the Camellia Blooms” on KBS. Each series was a hit, and viewers showered the actor with praise and compliments for her moving and haunting performance.

This year, viewers will get to see Lee back on the big screen as well. The actor will appear in the historical drama “Jasaneobo” by director Lee Joon-ik and also in director Park Ji-wan’s debut feature film “The Day I Die” (translated). The actor will star alongside Kim Hye-soo and Kim Sun-young in the film.

February 12, 2020

'Parasite' actors return home

PYH2020021204130031500_P4.jpg

Song Kang-ho (3rd from L), who starred in the Oscar-winning Korean film "Parasite," speaks to reporters after arriving at Incheon airport, west of Seoul, on Feb. 12, 2020. The satirical black comedy, won four titles -- best picture, best director, best screenplay and best international feature film -- at the Academy Awards on Feb. 9. It became the first non-English language film to win best picture in the Academy's 92-year-old history. (Yonhap)

February 11, 2020

‘Parasite’ Oscars have Twitter abuzz

By Im Eun-byel The Korea Herald

Filmmaker Bong Joon-ho’s dark comedy “Parasite” not only ruled the Oscars with its four wins, but also dominated social media, being the subject of more tweets than any other film from the event.

“Parasite” won four awards at the Oscars: best picture, best director, best international feature film and best original screenplay. It was the first foreign language movie to win best picture in the 92-year history of the annual film event. 

20200211000730_0.jpg

Since Jan. 13, when the film’s six Academy Award nominations were announced, “Parasite” has been mentioned in more than 1.6 million tweets worldwide. The next-most-tweeted-about nominees, in order, were “Joker,” “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood,” “Jojo Rabbit” and “Toy Story 4.”

Twitter also announced the top five most-tweeted-about moments of the 2020 Oscars.

“Parasite” topped the list again, generating more than 500,000 tweets around the world, when it won best picture. The moment Bong won the best director award for “Parasite” came in third place.

The moment that Joaquin Phoenix won the best actor award for “Joker” generated the next-biggest number of tweets, and the moment when Renee Zellweger won best actress for “Judy” was fourth. Hip-hop artist Eminem’s surprise performance came in fifth.

In addition, Bong was the celebrity who generated the most discussion on Twitter during the night of the 2020 Oscars. Around 520,000 tweets about Bong were posted that day. Hollywood celebrities Joaquin Phoenix, Eminem, Brad Pitt and Natalie Portman got the next-greatest numbers of tweets, in that order.

The top tweet about the awards show came from the official account of the Academy Awards, announcing “Parasite” as the winner of the best picture award. It generated more than 190,000 retweets and 475,000 likes. (see IMAGE)

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bong Joon-ho's detailed directing works behind the scene

Director Bong Joon-ho`s hand-drawn sketches of

Director Bong Joon-ho`s hand-drawn sketches of "Parasite" (Yonhap)

Even before Bong Joon-ho grabbed four Oscars, including best picture and best director, for his black comedy masterpiece "Parasite," the South Korean auteur was not a new kid on the block.

With seven features on his directorial career, including "Parasite," he has earned a nickname of "Bongtail" at home and abroad, a combination of his family name and the English word "detail."

Even though he mentioned several times in interviews that he does not like this nickname, his fellow actors and colleagues praise him for his detailed directing and meticulous care for all film staff.

His hand-drawn storyboards exemplify Bong's detail-oriented pre-production process. He meticulously plans every frame of his films through a set of sketches that include detailed description of background settings, kinetic compositions of each actor and mise-en-scene.

Based on these own pre-sketches, the director draws the entire movie in his brain from the offset and goes on shooting, so that he requires only necessary, planned shot or take during filming.

Song Kang-ho, a Bong's favorite who starred in four of seven Bong's films, said his perfectly designed scenario and pre-production makes actors and actress focus on acting and emotion that the story requires.

"Bong is famous for exquisiteness. In Bong's cinematic world, everything is calculated and sophisticatedly constructed," Song said in a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival last year, where "Parasite" was awarded the highest honor, the Palme d'Or.

"That lifts the burden of actors who have to fully express the whole space and time in front of the camera."

Chris Evans, a Hollywood actor who worked with Bong on 2013 thriller "Snowpiercer," said he was amazed by Bong's unique dramaturgy and trusts his cinematic vision.

"Director Bong has storyboards laid out so that ... he has already edited it in his brain," he said in an interview after "Snowpiercer." "It's like building a house and instead of needing a bag of nails, it is like saying, 'I need 53 nails.'"

Bong's exactitude and fineness in directing come along with his warm leadership as he shows sincere interest in and genuine concern for others.

"Before shooting, I was worried about his style. I'd thought he would be very sensitive or high-strung," said Lee Sun-kyun, who plays the role of Mr. Park, the father of a wealthy family in "Parasite." "But he was totally different. He never gets angry even in a situation where everybody feels irritated."

Moreover, Bong was one of the filmmakers in South Korea to spearhead the move to strictly comply with a guideline to prevent overtime work and unpaid wages on shooting sites.

The guideline, which was mapped out in 2014, led to a rise in production costs but contributed to improving working conditions in the industry.

In particular, he carefully looked after a child actor who played the role of Mr. Park's son in "Parasite." He even postponed the shooting of the child's scene for a month, as the weather was too hot for the kid to act. (Yonhap)

February 16, 2020

Oscar-winning director Bong Joon-ho returns home to hero's welcome

INCHEON, Feb. 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korean film director Bong Joon-ho made a triumphant return home on Sunday after capturing four Oscar titles, including best picture for his black comedy thriller "Parasite."

Director Bong Joon-ho speaks to reporters after arriving at Incheon International Airport on Feb. 16, 2020. (Yonhap)

Director Bong Joon-ho speaks to reporters after arriving at Incheon International Airport on Feb. 16, 2020. (Yonhap)

"Thanks to so many of you for greeting me, despite the cold weather," Bong told hundreds of reporters, photographers and fans that were waiting for the director at Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul. "I'm also so sorry for having bothered you many times since the Cannes Film Festival in May last year."

The director, the winner of this year's Cannes' top award, the Palme d'Or, led the "Parasite" team's promotional tour during the U.S. awards season starting last summer.

He has collected dozens of trophies from film critics associations and awards shows, including the Golden Globes and British Academy Film Awards.

"Parasite" won four titles -- best picture, best director, best screenplay and best international feature, becoming the first non-English language film to win the Oscars' grand prize in the 92-year history of the Academy Awards on Feb. 9.

"It was a long journey in the United States and I felt lighthearted as I wrapped it up," he said. "Now I'm happy that I can quietly return to my original work of creating."

He also appreciated the South Korean people's efforts to cope with the novel coronavirus COVID-19. South Korea has reported 29 confirmed cases of the contagious virus as of Sunday.

"I would like send a round of applause back to all Koreans for dealing so well with the coronavirus," he said. "I will join the effort to overcome the corona by washing my hands diligently."

Bong will have a press conference in Seoul on Wednesday with film crew members, actors and actresses.

Bong Joon-ho returns

brk@yna.co.kr

Source: Jason Bechervaise @Jasebechervaise

movie1.gifScreenRant: 10 Bong Joon-Ho Films To Watch After Parasite

February 17, 2020

Director Bong Joon-ho's chosen stills

Provided by CJ Entertainment, 11 black-and-white still pictures of the Oscar-winning film "Parasite," chosen by director Bong Joon-ho, which were disclosed on Feb. 17, 2020. (PHOTOS NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

DRAMATIC PAUSE Before the release of the black-and-white version of the Oscar-winning “Parasite” on Feb. 26, CJ ENM revealed 11 still photos from the film chosen by director Bong Joon-ho. In this photo, Ki-woo (played by Choi Woo-shik) stares out of the window of a bus. The photos were shot by the still photographer Lee Jae-hyuk, who was also responsible for the posters and still photos of “The Handmaiden” (2016), “Assassination” (2015) and “1987: When the Day Comes” (2017). [CJ ENM] // INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

February 19, 2020

Bong says monthslong Oscar campaign driven by passion, dedication

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Feb. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korean auteur Bong Joon-ho of "Parasite" said Wednesday that the monthslong Oscar campaign in the United States was driven by the passion and dedication of his staff and cast.

The black comedy thriller about two extreme families won four Oscar titles at the Academy Awards last week, becoming the first non-English language film to capture best picture in its 92-year history.

Bong led the film's awards season campaign, which started in August and ran through the Oscars ceremony on Feb. 9, along with its U.S. distributor Neon and its production houses Barunson E&A and CJ ENM.

Director Bong Joon-ho of "Parasite" speaks at a press conference in Seoul on Feb. 19, 2020. (Yonhap)

Director Bong Joon-ho of "Parasite" speaks at a press conference in Seoul on Feb. 19, 2020. (Yonhap)

"All films did their best to win an Oscar," Bong said in a press conference in Seoul. "But our team has to fight a guerrilla war with less budget, compared with big-name studios and Netflix."

He said he and actor Song Kang-ho, who played the father of a poor family in "Parasite," did more than 600 media interviews and held special screening sessions with film buffs more than 100 times.

Online viral marketing was also part of the team's limited budget strategy, he added.

"In the beginning, I didn't understand why all these huge film studios and filmmakers spent massive money and time in the campaign," he said. "But during the period, I felt that this is the decadeslong process of the U.S. film industry to sympathize with each other and share their cinematic ideas."

He said he was so happy that his team received the biggest reward for the dedication at the Oscars and that, especially, his film got favorable reviews from audiences across the world.

"My film is partly a comedy, but it also has bitterness and discomfort due to the class disparity between the rich and the poor," the director said. "I'm so delighted that movie fans in South Korea, Europe and North America liked my film this much, regardless of the awards."

The production crew and cast of "Parasite" pose for photos at a press conference in Seoul on Feb. 19, 2020. (Yonhap)

The production crew and cast of "Parasite" pose for photos at a press conference in Seoul on Feb. 19, 2020. (Yonhap)

The movie has attracted more than 10 million viewers in South Korean alone, while it raked in US$44.3 million in the U.S. to become the fifth-highest grossing foreign-language film stateside.

During the promotional tour, he said many cineasts in the U.S. were curious about the South Korean film industry that has produced such creative stories and movies in recent decades.

On the international stage, South Korean movies and filmmakers like Park Chan-wook and Lee Chang-dong have stood out and collected a number of prizes from renowned film festivals overseas.

Director Park was awarded the Grand Prix, the second-highest honor at the Cannes International Film Festival, for his 2003 thriller "Oldboy" and the Jury Prize for "Thirst" (2009), while Lee took home Cannes' best screenplay award for "Poetry" (2010).

"I think there were good interactions, or so-called dynamic clashes, between the commercial and the independence film industries in Korea in the early 2000s," said Bong, who made his directorial debut with "Barking Dogs Never Bite" in 2000.

'Parasite' actors at press conference

Bong Joon-ho (2nd from R), director of the Oscar-winning Korean film "Parasite," and the film's producer Kwak Sin-ae (far R), alongside the actors starring in the film -- (from far L to 4th from L) Jang Hye-jin, Lee Jeong-eun, Park So-dam and Song Kang-ho -- attend a press conference at a Seoul hotel on Feb. 19, 2020. (Yonhap)

But the dynamics seem to have diminished to some extent in recent years as the South Korean film industry has become less willing to take risks, he noted.

"Now we have to think about the way to revive the vital energy, trying not to be scared of taking risks but challenging them," he said. "Looking into recent quality indie films, however, I think many talents are ready to bloom. I expect there will be dynamic clashes in our film industry in the near future."

brk@yna.co.kr

February 20, 2020

Moon meets Bong Joon-ho, vows govt. efforts against cinema screen monopolies

By Yonhap via The Korea Herald

(Yonhap)
(Yonhap)

President Moon Jae-in said Thursday his government would do its best to introduce a legal measure to curb screen monopolies in South Korean cinemas, speaking at a Cheong Wa Dae meeting with Bong Joon-ho, director of the Oscars-winning movie "Parasite."

The president pledged "tangible support" for the further development of the local film industry and cited the proposed ceiling on the total number of screens for a certain movie and the expansion of academies.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism earlier announced a plan for legislation on the so-called screen ceiling system, but it remains uncertain whether a related bill will pass the National Assembly amid lingering controversy over such an "artificial" regulatory step.

During the luncheon, also attended by the film's cast and production staff, Moon repeatedly said he was so proud that the dark comedy and thriller about social problems stemming from income gaps has bagged four Oscar awards.

He pointed out that it has rewritten the history of South Korea's film sector, born a century ago, and that of the Academy Awards as well.

"Parasite" was excellent enough to collapse the barrier as a non-English movie, so even the Oscars had no other choice but to recognize it, according to the president.

Its Oscar success has also given South Korean people a lot of pride and encouragement as they are suffering difficulties due to COVID-19, he added.

It has proven to the world that South Korea's culture is not marginal on the global stage any more as also shown in the global popularity of BTS and other K-pop celebrities, Moon noted.

In response, Bong quipped he was thrown into a "pot of shock" listening to the president's "lengthy remarks" right next to him.

On the menu, meanwhile, was the "Jjapaguri (Ram-dong)" dish, which was made well known globally due to Bong's movie. (Yonhap)

Moon meets 'Parasite' cast

President Moon Jae-in (front row, L) enters a luncheon meeting with the cast and production crew, including director Bong Joon-ho (front row, 2nd from R), of the Oscar-winning "Parasite" at the presidential office in Seoul on Feb. 20, 2020. (Yonhap)

Spoiler

Spoiler

February 20, 2020

Bong Joon-ho Recalls Road to Oscars Triumph

By Song Hye-jin The ChosunIlbo

Bong Joon-ho and the cast of "Parasite" on Wednesday faced a blizzard of cameras after returning to a hero's welcome from their Oscars triumph.

Speaking at a press conference in Seoul, Bong singled out small distributor Neon for special praise. "Neon was a newcomer and relatively small in the industry," he said. "Unlike big players like Netflix, we had to promote the film with a much smaller budget so we worked really hard. We gave over 600 media interviews and over 100 events with audiences."

He said his stars are also now much sought-after in America. He was flanked by cast members Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Park So-dam, Jo Yeo-jeong, Jang Hye-jin, Park Myeong-hoon and Lee Jeong-eun as well as the producer and crew.

2020022002047_0.jpg
The cast and crew of Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite" pose for a photo at a press event in Seoul on Wednesday. /Newsis

Bong revealed that he is to team up with director Adam McKay of "The Big Short" and U.S. cable network HBO for a TV adaptation of the film.

"There have been reports that Tilda Swinton will join the cast, but it's not true. Nothing has been decided yet," Bong said. "We're just discussing the very basic issues of the series like the direction of the story and its structure."

"It's likely to be limited series of high quality with five or six episodes like HBO's 'Chernobyl' last year," he added.

Asked about his next film project, he said, "I've been working for years to make two other films, and I think making good films is the best I can do for the Korean cinema industry." 

An apt retort indeed to someone unable to cope with non-English films...

The Director Bong Joon-ho said it best:

“Once you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films... I think we use only one language: the cinema."

March 8, 2020

March Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

March Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from February 6 to March 7.

The stars of the award-winning film “Parasite” dominated this month’s list, sweeping the top three spots for March (four if you count Park Seo Joon, who made a cameo appearance in the film and came in at No. 4 for the month).

Song Kang Ho, Jo Yeo Jeong, and Lee Jung Eun rose to No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 in this month’s rankings respectively. Several of their co-stars also made it into the top 15, with Choi Woo Shik at No. 7, Lee Sun Gyun at No. 8, Park So Dam at No. 12, and Jang Hye Jin at No. 14.

High-ranking phrases in Song Kang Ho’s keyword analysis included “Academy,” “Bong Joon Ho,” and “Parasite,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “recognize,” “attend,” and “donate.”

Song Kang Ho’s brand reputation index for the month came out to 10,978,294, while his co-star Jo Yeo Jeong followed close behind with a total index of 9,668,655. Finally, Lee Jung Eun scored a total index of 7,769,994 for March.

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Song Kang Ho
2. Jo Yeo Jeong
3. Lee Jung Eun
4. Park Seo Joon
5. Hyun Bin
6. Son Ye Jin
7. Choi Woo Shik
8. Lee Sun Gyun
9. Gong Yoo
10. Kim Da Mi
11. Kim Hye Soo
12. Park So Dam
13. Lee Kwang Soo
14. Jang Hye Jin
15. Jung Woo Sung
16. Lee Byung Hun
17. Park Hae Jin
18. Kim Min Jae
19. Shim Eun Kyung
20. Ahn Jae Hong
21. Lee Jung Jae
22. Kim Nam Gil
23. Kim Min Hee
24. Kim Ji Young
25. Lee Yi Kyung
26. Yoo Jae Myung
27. Park Myung Hoon
28. Lee Young Ae
29. Jeon Do Yeon
30. Kang Ha Neul

Source (1)

March 10, 2020

Variety honors cast of ‘Parasite’ and more for Women’s Day 2020

By Lee Jae-lim INSIDE Korea JoongANg Daily

09200610.jpg

The female cast members of “Parasite” - above from left, Jang Hye-jin, Cho Yeo-jeong, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun, and Jung Ji-so (not pictured) - and CJ Group’s vice president Miky Lee were listed in Variety’s annual “International Women’s Impact Report” for International Women’s Day on March 8.

Grouped under the title “The Women of ‘Parasite,’” the American media outlet wrote, “although the female stars of Bong Joon-ho’s ‘Parasite’ did not receive any Oscar recognition themselves, they learned lessons and gained confidence during their time on the awards circuit, sharing in the cast’s ensemble victory at the SAG Awards and reveling in the film’s historic best picture victory at the Academy Awards.”

Miky Lee told the outlet that CJ Group plans to extend the local film industry to Hollywood. Using Asian IP, she hopes “to produce bold and innovative U.S. films and dramas that might have had difficulty getting made solely with a U.S. lens by utilizing our distribution infrastructure in Asian markets and reducing overall investment risk.”

“Her ambition is more than just becoming a part of the global market as an Asian player,” Variety writes. “It’s important, she says, ‘to be a catalyst for new voices and growth of the global movie market.’”

Meanwhile, Kim Min-young, Vice President of Content at Netflix Korea also made the list under “The Women of Netflix.”

Others included on the list were actors Adele Haenel, Ana de Armas, Salma Hayek, the composer of “Joker” Hildur Guonadottir and more.

• 1 month later...

Archived