[Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2020] Miss Truth 大唐女法医

sugarplum892

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview with Toby Lee (Li Cheng Bin) who plays Xiao Song in Miss Truth/ Tang Dynasty Female Medical Examiner

Followed by English translation... (nothing spoilery)

Hello friends of Youku, I am Li Cheng Bin.

(Introduce the character Xiao Song from Miss Truth)

This time I'm acting as Xiao Song. He's the Conan (Japanese manga/anime detective) of the Tang dyansty. The aspect that I find most interesting about him is that because he's an official, he exudes a lofty vibe but when he meets Zhou Jie Qiong's Ran Yan, he turns into a little boy. When others are around he is a real man but when no one is around, he is a cute little puppy.

When he meets a girl that he likes,  he really wants to grab her attention so he does all kinds of things that girls consider childish but he thinks is pretty romantic. 

(Examples?)

For example he might tease her and say that she looks like a fox but secretly he gets a friend to carve her a jade statute of a fox and gives it to her secretly. Actually he is capable of doing some warm-hearted things but on the surface he won't lower his dignity by saying that he did those things.

(What attracted you to Xiao Song as a character?)

When I got it, my first thought was that he is very "shuang" -- enjoyable (Hard to translate). At the time when I read the script, I thought he seemed like someone whom everyone had to pay respects to because I'm a big shot official. Sure enough when we started shooting, whether in Suzhou or in Chang'an city, civilians or subordinates or other officials would bow. It felt good, felt really good. (Toby is hilarious!)

(Did you have to study for the role?)

The first thing I had to do was to get used to giving off an arrogant vibe because when Xiao Song appears in public his head is raised up high. He is a lofty figure. That is someone who in this day and age will get beaten up. :lol: In ancient times he wouldn't have been. He is an official.  Right. He gives off an official's vibe. This is what I thought had to be portrayed about this person. Then when no one's around, he would abandon the official's vibe. He is able to transform into a cute little boy.

(Did you come up with some distinct gestures or movements to show the contrast?)

As an official, he's very stern, not many expressions because he's mainly investigating cases or pursuing culprits etc. His face is very stern.

When he meets RY or Bai Yi and others, he will become... possibly more like what I am right now, grinning cheekily. He will show more of a smiling face.

When he sees RY, that becomes clearer. Perhaps he wants to tease her, drags her closer pretending to kiss her, actually biting her nose instead. He's actually quite mischievous.

(In one second can you switch to a serious face?)

(Xiao Song has a tendency to be mischievous. Is that similar to you?)

Yes. But I'm a little more mischievous than he is.  I am an evolving Xiao Song. I will often do things that could make others angry. When she's asleep I will pull her leg hair or take pictures of her most ugly moments while sleeping.

(On working with ZJQ for the first time)

Actually I think she's an adorable young girl. Right. She's actually a very straightforward person. She says what she thinks. Right. An authentic real woman.

(Are there many intimate scenes with ZJQ? Were you shy?)

Quite a lot. Kissing on the face or on the forehead. 

I think the persona that I take on determines the approach. If I'm Xiao Song, I won't be shy. I may possibly enjoy it. But if it's Li Cheng Bin (me), I would be. There are lots of people. At the shoot there are lots of people watching you. So if you use the character to act it out, it's fine. But because I just said that she's a real woman... actually when we are filming these intimate scenes... it's not a burden. "Let's do it!" The feeling of gritting one's teeth and getting on with it.

(When you're shooting kissing scenes, do you brush your teeth first?)

I will definitely chew on breath freshening candy. That day I had 4. 

(When did you begin to become closer? Who is slower to warm up to others?)

I am slower because I am a Scorpio AB type personality.

Right JQ, she's... the age gap between us is a little different. Just a little. ;) That is she is younger in her way of getting along. Right. As for me, on set, I actually... most of my time is spent buried in the drama because I am acting as Xiao Song, a very aloof character.

(Did you interact much with the Su Fu character on set?)

With SF there was very little (interaction). Before filming I try not to interact too much with them. Because the moment there's laughter and fun, the official vibe disappears. SF is also a cold killer. Actually he often looks at the camera, expressionless. He would say "wo bu kong" (probably to achieve zen like state of mind) turns around and laughs until he collapses. After that his head scarf would fall off.

(After working with Tim Pei, what is your impression of him?)

He is actually quite a humorous person because in his previous drama he acted as Fa Hai (evil Buddhist monk of the White Snake mythos). Often on set, for example, if uniforms are not worn properly or other costumes are not worn properly, from the back I look like a demon because my hair would be up in that way in a S shaped style. Then he'll say to me, "You look like a demon." Then he would say "I forgot to bring my alms bowl. I can't deal with demons. Let's do this first. 'Withdraw'." Then we'll both leave.

Closing OST

I wasn't sure whether those two would end up together or that I necessarily needed them together as a couple but after Episode 22, they are finally working so well together... they were so much in sync during the deductions that it would be an absolute tragedy if they didn't end up together. 

It was so funny and so sweet when Xiao Song volunteered to be her assistant at the autopsy. He knew exactly what to do, setting up her tools etc and he even rubbed the deodorizer on her cleft palate. I can see why the older man was smirking away. It did look like they were flirting and I just adored how they were quietly bargaining.

Oh I just love those two. :wub:

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

hahaha....not that i dont like the other guy....however i just love XiaoSong with HuLi more :) 

I'm trying hard not to hate the other guy... ;) but he needs to stop using RY to break XS' heart. And man... SF is such a dark fellow. I don't like YM much but ... dear me... that was awful. Remind me never to get on his bad side. 

He's a bit of hypocrite too telling XS that RY is endangered by being around him. Yeah... pot vs kettle...

Spoiler

Although I wonder if it's not such a bad thing if the pearl was out of XS' hands and somebody else's problem.

Well... at least we now know the pearl is real and not some stupid plot device. That's a relief.

I am still so surprised that nobody bought this drama and thought it was worth subbing. It's ludicrous. This is right up Netflix's alley as well.

16 hours ago, angelangie said:

@40somethingahjumma im not sure am i getting irritate with the sidekick or not....

he is being too much in his obsession with his DaRen

he called HuLi. crazy huli and i like how HuLi actually retaliated against him lols

she called him crazy dog and then she told XiaoSong that his crazy dog already crazy....i wonder how can a crazy dog get any crazier? :D 

:lol:

I really like Bai Yi and I'm glad Xiao Song has someone in his corner, defending him. It's true he probably doesn't like RY all that much and doesn't think that she's good enough for his master. ;) In a way I'm sympathetic because BY is somebody who knows XS probably better than anyone and understands how he thinks. I kind of agree with BY in some ways... I don't think RY really appreciates XS as much as she should or even understands how he thinks. But XS can be a bit silly as well so it's taken her time to peel through the facade. I'm a XS fangirl for the most part so I'm on XS side on most things. :D I can also see how much he does for RY and he has put up with so much for her sake. I'm heartbroken for him... he's been so unlucky with women despite (or may be because of) his status. Frankly it seems to me that his position with the emperor is rather precarious as well.

Like you, I really enjoy the back and forth between BY and RY as well. I think it's hilarious... but also sweet. I can't dislike BY because I see him as someone that XS can rely on no matter what. I also think that he can't understand what XS sees in RY (apart from her forensic pathology skills). I like her more as the show progresses but even sometimes I question XS' wisdom in trusting her when her loyalties are so torn. That said, she does send him mixed signals and that gives him hope. If she was really sincere about keeping her distance, she would keep away from XS. But her heart steers her differently apparently. ;)

Still she's young and inexperienced. I don't think she knows her own heart.

Some other thoughts about the love triangle.

Spoiler

I wouldn't go as far as to say she's two-timing as I've seen elsewhere on the internet. That's too harsh. She's young and she's caught between two men with different masters pulling her in different directions. I think she pities SF on some level because of his sob story. I'm just not sure that she's as much in love with him as they both think she is. She wavers far too much. I notice that every time XS sets her free, she goes running back to him. It's happened at least twice already. She's doing far more than she needs to help him. When the three men were talking about his previous wives, she got really quite jealous. I haven't noticed that she's seeking SF out in these most recent episodes. It's he who is stalking her, kidnapping her etc. He always sounds so needy and he even needs to convince himself that she's not in love with XS. 

Frankly I find the RY-SF relationship somewhat uninteresting. But it's part of her development so I tolerate it. As a character he is quite interesting (a lonely and tortured soul) but I don't see how he is good for her in any way. His trajectory is too bleak in my view.

@productiveprocrastinator

Thank you so much for subbing this. It's a great show, my current favourite and I'm so glad someone can put time and energy into this.

Glad to be right about sui hou zhi zhu being the Marquis of Sui's Pearl. Thanks for the background on the pearl. It just clicked for me that they were referring to Dugu Jialou's husband Yang Jian who founded the Sui dynasty (short lived though it was).

Edited: Okay... not husband but son.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2020] Miss Truth 大唐女法医

@40somethingahjumma aww... Toby Li's voice sounds very lively, much different from the voice from the drama.

It looks like the next episodes will be sad ones for our main couple. I can't believe HL drugged XS again? Is it to safe SF? And XS will torture HL... hiks.. but I kindda don't like the fact that she's been indecive and used XS's affection for her advantage a lot. 

3 hours ago, suzy0604 said:

@40somethingahjumma aww... Toby Li's voice sounds very lively, much different from the voice from the drama.

It looks like the next episodes will be sad ones for our main couple. I can't believe HL drugged XS again? Is it to safe SF? And XS will torture HL... hiks.. but I kindda don't like the fact that she's been indecive and used XS's affection for her advantage a lot. 

Yeah, he's hilarious. I was surprised at the lack of a Taiwanese accent. I watched another interview he did and he said that he is from the same fishing village that Brigitte Lin (Lin Qinxia) was from. 

She drugged him again. Sigh. And yes, this time it's to save SF. I'm of two minds about the next few episodes but I'm such a sucker for angst so I'm looking forward to RY getting in touch with her true feelings.  Still... all that violence and anger. :(

But dangit... I want XS to be happy! However, happily it doesn't look like the separation lasts too long. ;)

Saw another trailer. Hope they stick to the nice happy ending like in the book and not the ending this trailer hints at

English transcript:

Woman: You were once betrothed unfortunately you did not have the destiny to be together

Do you hate her?

RY: All of this is an illusion. Just like the stars in the sky, they will always simply surround the moon yet never able to get any closer

XS: A fox..is the embodiment of a beast

RY: How dare you call me a fox with demonic characteristics?!

RY: Xiao Fish

RY: I heard someone say they never wish to owe a woman anything. I want you to kidnap the Shu son of the Su family, Su Fu

SF: Why do you want to do that?

RY: Because I don't want to get married.

SF: Do you want to marry me?

BY: If SF was the assassin Li, why is Examiner Ran with him?

XS: Starting from now, you stick by my side at all times, I forbid you from leaving a step from my side.

RY: Why do you manage me all day?

XS: She carried the family keepsake/token of the Xiao family, so she is my woman!

XS: In this life I will only marry Ran Yan

RY: Su Fu, why can't you be the one to be by my side?

SF: Please give me a chance, let's be together.

XS: Guards!

RY: Who dares to touch him?

Woman: How could you love a woman so deeply?

SF: I will help you find the pearl of the Marquis of Sui, and then you must let her go.

Woman: How can I trust you?

SF: I am willing to be your slave forever.

[XS forcing the wine down RY's throat]

XS: I cannot believe you will betray me. What kind of unspeakable reason do you have?

SF: I forbid you from seeing him, the only person you can see is me! You belong to me!

RY: You're simply a beast!

[SF slaps RY]

Woman: He's taken my mind control poison, he will only listen to my command alone.

SF: I cannot control myself.

Woman: Kill him! Ran Yan doesn't love you at all! Only Xiao Song!

]XS falls to the ground]

XS: If there is another life, I hope...I can meet you again there.

Random thoughts about Episodes 21-26

Case of the 5 Bodies

Spoiler

This show has resonances of classic Agatha Christie. Even while Xiao Song is on the hunt for the pearl which is inspiring carnage of the first order, the majority of cases so far seem to be about lost love of some kind... something that was an integral part of the Christie oeuvre. Except for the tomb raider murders, the crimes that our romancing detectives stumble onto are cautionary tales of obsession, love triangles and not being able to let go. There's no room for subtlety of any kind evidently. ;)

Apparently they knew about dissociative personality disorder even in those days. :P Surprising that people were so broadminded and they didn't think to bring in the priests to exorcise her etc. Ironic though that the man the lady at the centre of it all loved so desperately and couldn't let go off was a bit of a loser that bailed at the first sign of trouble. And the seemingly dodgy husband was the one who really cared for her and kept her secret for all that time.

Regarding the OTP

Spoiler

I don't think there was much doubt from the more recent episodes where RY's heart really lies. She had at least three opportunities to get away from Xiao Song. First when he left Suzhou and gave her the divorce document. Then when his family summoned her to a confab to discuss their marriage and the third when he sent her back to her cousin after the typhoid scare and grandma's untimely demise. But our lady coroner just can't seem to stay away. ;) She even attempted to steal a cabinet key on her own bat to assist with the investigation without any instigation or bullying from the abominable merman. Their quid pro quo relationship reached a new level when he willingly took on the role of her assistant at the five bodies autopsy. They negotiated the price on the side while he expertly helped her set up and deftly applied the deodorizing agents to the appropriate facial location. That was truly a moment to die for. :lol: Those two had found a rhythm and a hum to their collaboration.

If I didn't know better I would say that it almost feels like RY was looking for reasons to stay alongside XS in those last 6 episodes. :D She had ample opportunity to run away respectably but always manage found a reason to stay under the guise of being helpful. It could be of course that crime solving and dead bodies is much too fun to pass up but it doesn't of course explain the bouts of jealousy demonstrated all throughout. First it was talk of the dead wives that led to an unreasonable demand for compensation for a goose with too many legs. Then it was live fish delivery service with threats attached. Here RY loudly and menacingly announced to Xiao Song's female company that she would chop off body parts if any one of them had taken liberties with "her man". The smirk on his face said it all. 

So one can't exactly blame XS for thinking that perhaps he had made inroads into her heart. It gave him hope which is rather dangerous...

Left to her own devices, I suspect that she would have come to the same conclusion sooner but with Su Fu, skulking and stalking around, she would be leery of being too committed to being the wife of Xiao Song. Is it fear of making the same mistake? Or is it residual feelings for the enigmatic assassin? Or is it the thought of being permanently attached to the sly and unpredictable XS? Or just being permanently attached to anyone.

The Hunt for the Marquis of Shui's Pearl... 

Spoiler

Ends

This is one of the things I love about this drama. It moves. Everything moves. Cases close in record time after our team do their thing. Let's chalk it up to the fact that I've been burnt by C dramas far too many times but I really didn't expect the pearl to be found until Episode 34 at least. But here we are in Episode 26, it's in Xiao Song's hot hands. (And he does have really nice hands) So yeah, the pearl is real and if legend holds true, the owner has access to incredible wealth to do some serious damage.

So what was XS doing in Suzhou then? After all, the pearl was literally in his own backyard. Seems like a waste of time then to have made the trip. Well, not entirely. He had to find the lambskin too and he was under orders to gather clues about the pearl's whereabouts given to him by the Big Man himself. But in reality... going to Suzhou was narratively about him finding another wife. A wife. The third wife. The wife to end all wives. Or rather the wife to end all need for any more wives. Hopefully. Let's hope he's third time lucky. 

XS seems to have a hard time hanging on to women... poor fellow. It's the curse of the pearl being so close to home. I remember when he and RY were trapped in that stuffy ancient tomb waiting to be rescued. He cracked a knowing smile when she said that the death of his two wives probably had nothing to do with misfortune etc. There had to be some earthly explanation for at least one of them. I think he knew then... that she was the one. They were on the same page. He'd met his soulmate. 

Apparently all that love and affection he showered on Wife #2 was all a smokescreen. She was after something and he always knew it. Dear fellow... never lets me down. ;) And RY threw a jealous tantrum all for nothing. 

Su Fu

Spoiler

Sigh... He's a jolly nuisance. He should go away somewhere far far away, kill people to his heart's content and leave RY alone.

Episode 27 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

0:10

Xiao Song, don't hate me.

0:22

Is it because of him? Where's the pearl? Where's the pearl? I had thought you came to Chang'an because of me. You actually betrayed me because of him. What did I do wrong?

0:36

Your Majesty

Official Xiao's wife Ran Yan had secret communication with the remnants of the Huo Qi Society. Your Majesty please deal with this.

0:47

Why did they arrest me?

Xiao Merman

She was in secret communication with the Sui enemy

I didn't.

It's His Majesty's verbal decree. Ran Yan's carelessness almost brought about a disaster. It is not appropriate that this person should remain at the side of a court official. Xiao Song and Ran Yan must divorce.

1:27 

Hu Li (Fox). I still can't believe that you'd betray me.

Episode 28 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

0:08

Blood? Where is so much blood coming from?

0:31

Do you think he's the culprit?

He was at the scene of the crime.

0:38

Stop! Let that person go.

I want to protect Su Fu so that he's safe and sound.

0:44

I heard that you were both once betrothed to each other. Do you hate him?

0:54 

Even though we no longer have a relationship with one another, I would still like to say this. There were things I shouldn't have done. But I really didn't let you down.

1:12

I'm sorry about your identity as a killer and my prejudice.

The person who should be sorry is me

You... are you really a government spy?

1:24

Why has another woman come?

It's just an old acquaintance of mine. Don't mind it.

1:32

So fickle in love. Inconstant and lacking in righteousness.

Episode 29 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

0:04

That slop cart... does it belong to Yue Shao Jiao street?

Yes.

When Ran Yun disappeared, was that slop cart there the whole time?

0:19

It's pigment

Pigment? Is the culprit an artist then?

Miss, are you buying calligraphy or paintings?

When the wind blows, someone else will die

0:59

It's blood again.

1:04

This place actually has this many bodies.

1:08

Does that dragonfly actually represent a particular woman?

1:11

Why are there so many dragonflies here? What does it all mean? Is it because of this woman that you like them?

1:19

Don't!

Don't!

Where are Su Fu and Ran Yun?

I'll tell you.

Episode 30 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

0:00

The Merman was here to investigate a case. Caught unawares, he ran into Fox coroner. Fox hated the Merman but in the end decided to help him examine corpses. Together they examined corpses, investigated cases, and went looking for the perpetrator together.

I am here to report a case. My cousin Ran Yun Sheng and the Imperial Court of Justice's Officer Su Fu

0:23

Your matters no longer concern me

0:26

Do you belong to the Imperial Court of Justice or the Board of Punishments?

0:30

The Board of Punishments or the Court of Justice, it makes no difference!

0:32

To you perhaps not but to me there is.

0:34 

Did you assume that just because you made a few foods I like, perform a play for children that I would forgive you?

I will say this to you now. I don't want to see you at all.

I beg you please. Save my cousin. Save Su Fu. 

Pour me some alcohol/wine. Wait on me until I'm completely satisfied.

1:02

The wind is now strong. It's time.

1:16

Su Fu

1:20 

Wake up!

Wake up quickly!

Episode 31 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

If we're to complete the mission the chief gave us, we'll have to get rid of this stumbling block, Xiao Song.

Since you hid Lord Su in the back courtyard, I will confine you there for a month as punishment.

Thank you Father.

0:20

A poem of resentment, of perpetual yearning for one's love

Also the seventh day of the seventh month (reference to the herd boy and weaver maiden legend)

Your Highness has very refined tastes and must often visit the forest of the easter valley suburbs flying dragonfly kites.

I deduce that the woman in red in Meng Ji's painting must be you, Your Highness.

0:38

My only hope is that Your Highness cooperate with the Board of Punishments and the Imperial Court of Justice to capture the real culprit Meng Ji.

Fine. I will agree to it.

0:47

But I want him to  protect me!

0:55

She's drenched in alcohol. If you dare come any closer, I will set her alight.

1:00

That's the road from which the princess will come to see me. She's coming to me.

She's not on the way to you but she's on the way to abandoning you.

1:09

Since you care, why did you give her up?

Her heart is not with me.

This is what she left behind when she left. I've been keeping it for you the entire time. I should now return this to you.

Episode 32 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

0:21 

Your Majesty, Consort Yang has already passed away.

0:26 

My lord, this is the ointment that Her Highness used

0:30 

This ointment has a deer odour.

0:31

Your Majesty, please forgive me!

I bought this ointment for Consort Fei from outside the palace.

Where from?

From the newly opened Qingzhu Medical Facility outside the palace in Eastern city (in the east of the city)

The Investigation Unit is looking into a case.

Brazen and unruly people! Conspiring to harm a royal consort.

Take them all away!

0:46

There's no deer odour in this, only a medicinal fragrance

0:51

My lord, she is unrelated to this case

I want to save her

There are those that you need not concern yourself with. Nor can you have just through sheer effort.

1:07

You think you can have my cousin just based on this

My cousin is Lord Xiao's person. Who do you think you are?

1:14

My lord, His Majesty suddenly decreed that Wu Xiu and Ran Yun Sheng and Wan Liu be beheaded.

What?!

1:22

His Majesty wants to lure you out.

1:27

Behead!

Ah... my weekly crack... great stuff. I thought it would be painful to watch but thankfully not for long. The angst was not bad actually. Nice to see Ran Yan doing all the hard work for a change. :D

I don't remember the last time I saw a drama where the male lead was doing the noble idiocy thing because he thought the woman he loved was in love with someone else. ;) I suppose he's sick of playing the sucker.

There's a part of me that really wanted to knock their heads together and make them talk to each other. On the other hand, I sort of like the idea that RY is in purgatory for not being more demonstrative in the past. :P

But why... why do they keep getting interrupted *wail*

Random thoughts re: Episodes 27-32

If there were any doubts left as to who is the Boss in this show, I think these recent episodes would have removed them entirely. ;) Even if Xiao Song seemed to be on the outer on this occasion due to matters being bad between the leads, his presence was both missed and felt. While the others did well on their own and were able to come up with some of the goods, it became clear that XS was sorely needed to tie up loose ends and close the case. All the evidence easily pointed to one individual but no one could speak to the motive. The show also drew a deliberate contrast between how the head of Da Li Si does things and how XS does things regarding criminal investigations. Lord Sun has his own agenda but he is also an arrogant man who has something to prove. XS is consistently meticulous and gets right down to the bottom of things. He cares deeply about the truth. For him justice is really the endgame. It isn't just about dealing with political fallout or personally proving his credibility. Clearly he doesn't need to prove anything because he already has an established reputation for solving crimes.

More than being a reputed criminologist, XS demonstrates excellent leadership skills. One of his greatest strengths is his ability to appreciate talent and use people well. Only he would even consider managing this motley crew that he has unofficially cobbled together. Take the case of Sang Chen who is a veritable scaredy cat. A very gifted scaredy cat nonetheless. Most people would find him hard to manage but XS was able to see past all that and employ him to tasks eminently suited to his abilities. He also knows how to work with Su Fu when he has to even with all the mistrust that exists between them.

If there's a scene that encapsulates the kind of man XS is and what he's all about it would have to be the final showdown between the erotomaniac serial killer and our sleuths (Episode 31). When the culprit who is holding Ran Yan hostage, realises that he's been tricked, attempts to retaliate by whipping out a dagger. XS's first instinct is to lurch forward and grab the offending dagger with his bare hands to prevent it being used on RY. It seems to me that his default mode is to protect RY disregarding even his own safety. A trait that he has shown repeatedly throughout the drama. He releases her from her bonds and his first comment to her is "Are you alright?" in a gentle tone of voice he reserves only for her. Despite putting on a good show of being thoroughly angry and wanting to keep his distance from her, at the end of the day, his love for her perpetually trumps disappointment and suspicion. He can't help himself. 

Xiao Song is a larger than life creature who is big on the truth and loves greatly. It must be hard on him to have to reconcile these apparently contradictory positions. I don't think they're especially contradictory categorically but for him having to deal with his repeated disappointments with RY, it must appear to be. It is ironic that for a man who can see through criminal motives and seemingly read the minds of men at a pinch, the woman he loves is a perpetual puzzle to him. The fault doesn't lie with him but the nature of their ever evolving relationship which is fraught with complexities made more difficult by her history with her former betrothed who is a persistent presence. Who wants to be a continual sap for a woman who has her eye directed elsewhere? It must be a blow to an intelligent man that despite all his best efforts and correct assessments of RY's change of heart, he can never be certain of her loyalty.

To his credit he doesn't actively act against SF because he is a perceived rival for RY's affections. XS is much better and far more intelligent than that. I don't even think that XS really tries to win her heart in the traditional sense. He does what he does for her because of who he is... of the good he wants for her. All of it comes from that place of love he has for her. I wouldn't say that he does things for her necessarily to turn her heart towards him. It is true though that he wants her heart unequivocally. And what self-respecting man wouldn't? ;) I doubt that he's willing to share especially with a man who's background and activities are suspicious at the very least. ;)

In defence of RY, I think underneath all that bravado she is a good sort of girl. She's a softie for a hard luck story despite the arrogance and posturing. She wants to help everybody and insists on not taking sides. Some of that comes from being a physician of sorts. I can understand the impulse on some level because there are bigger political forces at work that she's quite unaware of. On top of that she is in the middle of a tug-of-war between two men who happen to be in rival camps. Despite her natural intelligence, she doesn't have all the tools to navigate this tumultuous triangular relationship with clarity. Her inability to draw the line in the sand could also possibly be attributed to the fact that she does genuinely feel sorry for SF.

Moreover, she doesn't completely understand XS and how he operates. I'm always struck by how well everyone can see through his actions and see the obvious signs of blossoming romance at play but for one reason or another she is fraught with uncertainty. Is it really a case of once bitten, twice shy? I appreciate her cousin, Ran Yunsheng, for standing in XS' corner and cheering him on the sidelines. He is a much needed sounding board. My conclusion is that her world so far has been small, very black and white, believing that what one sees is always what the truth is. 

It's not the first time that I'm surprised and a little impressed about how broadminded XS' family is about his relationship with her. An obvious contrast with her own upbringing. Despite everything and even though they don't entirely approve of her, they really care about what he likes or wants. Perhaps this broadmindedness translates into his own meritocratic attitude towards her and her abilities. I was thinking when XS was in conversation with his father and stepmother at different times about how much they respect his choices and want to encourage him in them because they actually respect him. It's harder to be sure about the uncle's wife because she has her own agenda but she does seem to be genuinely fond of him. Dad at least seems wise enough to grasp what it is that Song'er sees in this arrogant upstart that goes against conventional proprietary for a family of their status. 

Su Fu has never been for me an obviously bad guy. I wouldn't even consider him an antihero because he is so obviously developed as a foil for the leads. He has his difficulties and yet he has made certain choices which means his trajectory ends up being at odds with RY's. I don't doubt that for him RY is a ray of sunshine in his very bleak existence. Is it just the drugs talking because I'm not clear on why he changed his mind about letting her go. Now he's becoming increasingly possessive and dangerously so.

More to come... 

Random thoughts re: Episodes 27-32 Part 2

In my previous post, I made an error regarding dong yang fu ren or the Lady Dong Yang. She isn't Xiao Song's stepmother but actually aunt by marriage. His uncle's wife/widow most likely. Fascinating character. Much more intriguing than first meets the eye.

It's obvious to me that the show is trying to make Su Fu a kind of tragic character or tortured soul to elicit sympathy because his trajectory means that ultimately he can't be with the female lead. The son of a concubine... so of lower status, somewhat despised perhaps and then trains as an assassin and then embroils himself with rebellious elements working against the throne. With a CV like that I can't imagine that any man in his right mind would think that he would make a good husband for a woman unless he's using her as his cover story. But that's probably it... he isn't in his right mind now that the drugs are taking firm control over him. I suppose he thought he was doing his bit to protect RY when he became a willing puppet for the chief of the secret organization but who's going to protect him from himself? I can't help feeling that the more the show is trying to sell him as some kind of viable alternative to XS because he really loves RY, the more I'm repulsed by that idea. I don't think that there are any alternatives. XS is the man for her. SF is a distraction but more importantly he presents imminent danger to everything she holds dear.

There are remnants of the previous Shui dynasty who are discontent with the current regime... although why that is, isn't entirely clear to me. The people don't seem to be doing too badly as a whole. It could be that well they don't care much for the Li family and they're purely Shui loyalists. So it behooves them to start a war... start a coup de tat so that the old regime be reinstated and cause death and destruction to the masses.

RY's journey to finding true love parallels the cases that she and XS have taken on together. The shadow puppet display she performed with Wan Lu to jog his memory confirms that. It's a tacit acknowledgment of their special relationship and how she can't do it without him. He seemed moved by the gesture but still it's not enough for him and so he maintains his distance because ultimately he wants her love and devotion not a replay of their quid pro quo relationship.

As for the beating she took for meeting up with the bag man, that was undoubtedly painful but probably not as painful for her as being ignored and misunderstood by XS which is for me a far more satisfying state of affairs between them because now the shoe is in the other foot.  It's eminently fascinating that the cases that they've undertaken together have paralleled  to some degree her journey to "finding true love". All of the cases have been analogous or have telegraphed their somewhat tumultuous relationship. They are morality tales of missed opportunities, obsession and lost love.  In the case of the erotomaniac serial killer, the show attempts to draw a comparison between the situations faced by the couples. At least RY herself is aware of the comparison when she pontificates to the hostage taker. There is bitterness and despair in her words. She had hoped that XS' love was big enough to cover her sins but alas it was an illusion.  It was an indirect confession tinged with regret and pain. She acknowledges now that she knows what it means to love.

Initially XS thinks she is referring to SF as seen in the glare he gives the other man while she monologues. But when he goes home and reflects on her words, he wonders if he's misunderstood her relationship with SF and by extension himself.  From his conversation with his dad, it's clear that he still cares a great deal but he can't repeatedly allow himself to be in the position of being betrayed because he thinks that she is in love with another man. He has always respected her freedom to choose and he also has to be careful because of the larger political matters that are at stake especially if SF is persistently using her as a conduit to him. He can't be sure of her if she's trying to keep both sides happy. What's really interesting to me is that for her, she thinks she's lost his love whereas for him he believes that he's never had hers in the first place (largely because of all the contradictory signals that she sends out).

To me, she's young and inexperienced in the matters of the heart which is why I don't judge her too harshly. But she is learning a really important lesson here. She can't take XS for granted even if he is ultimately true to her despite appearances. Even if she doesn't want to, she has to draw the line and be clear about who it is she preferences. Everyone wants certainty, XS does too. He needs it for all kinds of reasons not just emotional ones. At the end of the day, she does have to take a side.

How old is XS? I know RY was 18 years old when they first met.

Could someone explain to me what happened to XS's previous wife/wives? He had more than 1 wife? Sigh I thought he was a virgin :lol:...he isn't so no wonder when they first met, he was half naked & didn't flinched at all :joy:.

17 hours ago, Carmen T said:

How old is XS? I know RY was 18 years old when they first met.

Could someone explain to me what happened to XS's previous wife/wives? He had more than 1 wife? Sigh I thought he was a virgin :lol:...he isn't so no wonder when they first met, he was half naked & didn't flinched at all :joy:.

I don't think we're told anywhere in the drama how old he is. ;) Early to mid twenties at the very least, I would imagine.  Someone who has read the novel might be able to help with that. 

He was married twice. Within a six months period. ;) How much do you want to know about them? Do you want all the details? Spoilers?

What's common knowledge is that they both died mysteriously of chest/heart pains. First one was a minister's daughter. It was a betrothal formed by the previous generation. The other was an official's daughter who died half a year previously. The first one died on the wedding night. The second died a month after the wedding.

Episode 33 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

Sister, I know I've done many wrong things in the past. 

For the sake of our father, can you forgive me?

Why is there no one?

0:11

Smells like deer odour

0:14

Shoo! Away!

0:16

The Ying Yang butterfly is poisonous

Open the door quickly!

My Lord, I can handle this. You leave.

0:21

It's hard for Bai Yi to survive this

0:24

The poison has gone into his bloodstream, reaching his five major organs and gastrointestinal endocrine organs.

There's nothing I can do either

You are the son of a concubine. You are not worthy of Ran Yan.

Son of a concubine! Son of a concubine!

0:51

What do you plan to do?

Find the culprit

I'll help you

0:55

Ji Yuan died by acupuncture. RY knows acupuncture.

0:59

Mister, I know acupuncture too

1:02

There's someone else that knows acupuncture too

1:04

I no longer have any relationship with Xiao Song

1:05

I only know this. That day when you came to Xiao mansion to see Song'er. He saw that you were exhausted from looking for your cousin, deliberately tricked you into entering the mansion. Foolishly he went to save your cousin while you were resting.

1:20

To protect you, Song'er was willing to be flogged

Bad news, Lady Dong Yang. 

His Majesty has decreed that you be beheaded the day after tomorrow

Episode 34 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

Does Your Majesty recall that previously you'd promised me a reward?

Do you have something in mind?

0:05

I hope Your Majesty can witness my wedding to Ran Mei Yu

0:10

Merman Xiao, I miss you

Your lies to me have sent me running around in circles

0:17

All of this has been a chessboard set-up by you. You've turned me into your pawn, dancing to your tune

Hear this well. For the rest of my life I will sever ties with you and no longer have anything to do with you.

Tomorrow during the period between 11 am to 1 pm, I will marry Ran Mei Yu in the palace at a ceremony. During that time, you will take Ran Yan away.

Why me?

0:45

This is your new identification pass. When you leave the city, go directly to Quijiang. A boat will pick you up.

0:53

It's human blood

Today I will be witness to the marriage of Officer Xiao and testify to the world

1:05

I object!

1:11

Xiao Song! Your Board of Punishments actually used your wedding to assassinate His Majesty

1:15

Somebody! Arrest him!

1:23

Leave quickly! Leave quickly! Leave quickly! 

1:25

Coroner Ran

Episode 35 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

It was clearly dead, why did it come back to life?

0:06

White phosphorus?

0:09

He took the blame publicly, humiliated you publicly

0:13

All I'm doing is taking back justice for you

0:15

I won't let you see him again

You can only see me

You belong to me

0:22

You are a dirty swine

0:27

I...

0:29

must have you

How am I am wearing the Shui dynasty military outfit?

0:43

It's Emperor Yang of Shui's army

Arrest Xiao Song quickly

0:49

Someone's coming. Leave quickly

0:50

I want to leave with you

Attack!

0:57

Yan'er

Personnel from the Imperial Court of Justice (Da Li Si) 

Found Lord Xiao's body in the forest at the eastern side of the city

1:13

Lady Xiao

Episode 36 Preview (Translated)

Spoiler

All I want to do is burn ritual money for my dead husband

Burn it!

Make way! Make way everyone!

0:11

Let them all go and I will give you the Marquis of Shui's pearl

Why have you become so cold blooded and inhuman?

0:17

You're a beast!

0:20

You're a beast!

Lady Dong Yang

You are the chief of Huo Qi society?

To preserve your life, he took my mind-control (puppet) drug

0:40

Dried purple powder 

0:43

So you turned out into this

because of me?

I've finally laid hands on Marquis Shui's pearl

1:09

This is you saying farewell, isn't it?

1:15

If there is a life to come

I hope

I can meet you again

1:26

Goodbye

Series will be ending next week... I will miss it greatly. 

I envy those of you who will be watching it for the first time. 

Looks like Productive Procrastinator has completed subs for Episodes 5 and 6

https://productiveprocrastination.site/2020/03/13/eng-miss-truth-ep-5-6/

Archived