[Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2020] Miss Truth 大唐女法医

sugarplum892

My crack drama is done. Sad that there's no more episodes to look forward to. No more sleuthing for the Fox and The Merman. *Boo Hoo* But yay, a happy ending... more or less... for the leads. They packed in quite a bit of stuff in these last 4 episodes. Probably a bit rushed but they somehow managed to tie up all the loose ends. A lot of what the bad guys did now make much more sense in light of what know about the Huo Qi Society.

Definitely my favourite C drama this year... old school detective plots, classic wuxia elements and a bickering romance => happy drama watching ajumma.

It's one of those rare dramas that kept true to itself right to the end. Thankfully it never felt tempted to veer off too far into melodrama territory.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So..that's the end and who'd guessed right as to whom the main villain was? not in a million yrs would i have guessed right, i was actually quite shocked and a bit disappointed tbh but as @40somethingahjumma puts it, it does tie up the loose ends.

IMO, this drama is okay, not much to rave about and honestly, still wasn't feeling the chemistry between the leads either, maybe it's the actress, a bit stiff for my taste..i think i prefer Dr Cutie hehe.

35 minutes ago, jewelsc said:

IMO, this drama is okay, not much to rave about and honestly, still wasn't feeling the chemistry between the leads either, maybe it's the actress, a bit stiff for my taste..i think i prefer Dr Cutie hehe.

It's not perfect and ZJQ is a newbie so I cut her a bit of slack. She was at her best when she was sassy and arrogant. Needs to work on her angst. ;)

But to me, it's far better than Dr Cutie. There's no comparison. :P Man... I hated the way the female lead was written. So much silliness.I dropped it half way through despite the good chemistry between the leads. Truth is I'm probably too old to be watching a show of that nature. The storyline is pretty cliche and tropey.

Random thoughts re: Episodes 33-36

In light of everything that we find out about the mastermind of the plot to overthrow the emperor, a lot of things actually make so much sense in hindsight even though I am still stunned by the ultimate twist at the end. It just never even entered my mind TBH. This, I believe, speaks well of the consistency in the overarching story of the Marquis Shui's pearl. It also never occurred to me until these final four episodes how clever everyone has been about the love triangle. The writer of course for how the XS-RY-SF relationships were manipulated for the Big Story. ;) But also how the villains of the piece exploited the love triangle for their own ends.

In this final phase Xiao Song is the primary target because he is the emperor's unofficial right hand man. (And he is a right royal pain the rear end) The villains know that it's because of XS that the throne is out of their reach at present. At the start of the drama we know that he has a reputation of having a knack for solving mysteries so he is tasked to find a legendary pearl that is supposed to lead to some great treasure left behind by the previous dynasty that could be used to build an army. With XS on the job, the conspirators are hampered in every regard. Yes, they have their spies but XS manages repeatedly to get to the bottom of things and root them out. Unfortunately for him, their spy, Su Fu first notes that XS has a soft spot for RY and tries to use that to get him to unwittingly reveal information by making mistakes. But of course XS seldom lets his guard down, uses the enemy's stratagems against him for his purpose. While he's using RY as a conduit to XS, SF soon falls for her which ironically compromises his own effectiveness as a spy for his side. Consequently he undergoes a serious internal tug-of-war and as we saw, his handler uses this to their advantage by forcing him to imbibe a mind-control "puppet" drug.

It soon becomes obvious to the conspirators that XS' only real Archille's heel is RY. After all they've thrown everything at him. Contrary to all appearances, he cares deeply for her and works behind the scenes to protect her. They can see what she can't at first: All the haughty bluster and angry words is subterfuge for deep feelings. Natural circumstances seem to keep them apart at first such as a marriage betrothal and clashing personalities. In the natural course of life the odds are stacked against them but for the fact that they are an exceptional crime-solving duo. He knows it and eventually she knows it as well (and uses it as an excuse/justification to remain close to him). However, because of the nature of his mission and her occupation, unnatural situations arise that consistently bring them together despite their own individual inclinations. They even maintain a contract marriage for a time to expedite a covert investigation related to the deaths of his former wives.

Spoiler

I used to think it was sweet that RY's cousin, Ran Yunsheng was standing in XS' corner, encouraging RY to look at our super sleuth in a more romantic light but of course we now know that he had ulterior motives in doing so.

It was always in the interest of the conspirators to maintain XS and RY as a romantic pairing because they can weaponize this for their own purposes, to manipulate XS and remove him if possible as an obstacle. They know he would do anything for her even marry the whiny, screechy Ran Mei Yu. (Bleah) It seems too, on hindsight, that there were pragmatic reasons why he kept mum about his good-doing towards RY. He was always aware that he was being watched by others and as the emperor's emissary, he has to maintain the balance between business and pleasure. ;) On top of that, there was the matter of trust. He just didn't know where she stood with regards to SF. He hadn't realised that emotionally she'd moved on. While he was always steadfast in his affections for her, he couldn't trust her in the Big Things because he believed that she prioritized SF over him by giving away the all-important pearl. At least that's the lens he read her actions until he discovered that she had never betrayed him to begin with.

The other reason why XS and RY worked out well for the villains was because it allowed them to control SF. His feelings for RY and his jealousy made him a very handy but deadly puppet. It was telling that when his transformation into a puppet was complete, the trickle of blood that stained his face reminded me of a marionette. 

The great irony of course is that the villains of the piece brought them closer together via their machinations. It was a risky and dangerous thing to do obviously because not only are people in love are unpredictable. But highly intelligent people in love can use your trickery against you. ;) Which is what ends up happening. It's a double-edged sword. 

I think the emperor got a sense of that at the end. :D That's why he separated them forcibly. He knew that XS on his own was formidable enough. But XS and RY together can be terrifying. Especially when the emperor himself witnessed first hand what XS would do for her... like break a few rules :P and go against the emperor's orders. ;) Which XS was never known to have done previously. ;)

In the end it was the love triangle that saved the day.

Spoiler

SF was able to come to his senses in that final moment and XS always knew that SF was reliable where RY was concerned. XS had been in his shoes once before. They both always wanted what was best for her wherever her heart lay.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:17 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I think the emperor got a sense of that at the end. :D That's why he separated them forcibly. He knew that XS on his own was formidable enough. But XS and RY together can be terrifying. Especially when the emperor himself witnessed first hand what XS would do for her... like break a few rules :P and go against the emperor's orders. ;) Which XS was never known to have done previously. ;)

And the irony of this is also the fact that XS breaks another royal order by the emperor to be with RY. :joy:  I think the emperor also saw how far XS was willing to go for RY - fake his death, get whipped, tortured, locked up, and beaten up. And he's still breaking orders left and right for RY. I'm really glad that it was a happy ending for XS and RY - I was on that OTP the entire time.

Also, I saw on Weibo that there would be a season 2 and that there's a small scene where it shows SF's hand where he clutches a small note and he says, "I won't let you go." Unsure if that's going to happen!

2 hours ago, xprosperity said:

And the irony of this is also the fact that XS breaks another royal order by the emperor to be with RY. :joy:  I think the emperor also saw how far XS was willing to go for RY - fake his death, get whipped, tortured, locked up, and beaten up. And he's still breaking orders left and right for RY. I'm really glad that it was a happy ending for XS and RY - I was on that OTP the entire time.

Also, I saw on Weibo that there would be a season 2 and that there's a small scene where it shows SF's hand where he clutches a small note and he says, "I won't let you go." Unsure if that's going to happen!

I certainly wasn't on SF - RY ship whatever it is I had hoped at the start. :P

I don't really understand the love for SF, TBH. Especially after Episode 19. 

I was waiting for that final kissing scene because Toby Lee mentioned it in an interview. Glad we got that even if they obscured it unnecessarily.

Yes, I've seen the alternate scene. I don't know if the show did well enough to  warrant another series but I'm all up for it especially if Toby Lee is playing XS again. :D

What did you think about her wanting to follow him into death? Did you feel that it was an extreme turn around? Or did you think it was consistent with her character?

On 2/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, jacquelinetan said:

Oh dear, for the first time I cannot decided who I am supporting for to be the better partner for our Miss Truth. The two time widower or the concubine son who she is arranged to marry.

At first I don’t get it, but then you refer to Xiao Song as the two time widower and Shu Fu as the concubine son.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Yes... the da ren here is Toby Li. :D He is excellent IMO. I really really like him.

He's not classically good-looking but he looks and acts intelligent ;) which is probably far more important in this instance. He's one of the show's highlights.

However FL doesn't call him da ren... she calls him Ren Yu (Fish Man or Merman) and he calls her Hu Li (Fox) :P

Yeah I start to watch this drama because of Toby Lee. He captivated my heart in The Arsenal Military Academy... Love him..

On 2/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, lovehuche said:

I also join in that forum to looking for spoiler for the novel. Waiting the translator will continue...

On 3/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, productiveprocrastinator said:

English transcript:

Woman: You were once betrothed unfortunately you did not have the destiny to be together

Do you hate her?

RY: All of this is an illusion. Just like the stars in the sky, they will always simply surround the moon yet never able to get any closer

XS: A fox..is the embodiment of a beast

RY: How dare you call me a fox with demonic characteristics?!

RY: Xiao Fish

RY: I heard someone say they never wish to owe a woman anything. I want you to kidnap the Shu son of the Su family, Su Fu

SF: Why do you want to do that?

RY: Because I don't want to get married.

SF: Do you want to marry me?

BY: If SF was the assassin Li, why is Examiner Ran with him?

XS: Starting from now, you stick by my side at all times, I forbid you from leaving a step from my side.

RY: Why do you manage me all day?

XS: She carried the family keepsake/token of the Xiao family, so she is my woman!

XS: In this life I will only marry Ran Yan

RY: Su Fu, why can't you be the one to be by my side?

SF: Please give me a chance, let's be together.

XS: Guards!

RY: Who dares to touch him?

Woman: How could you love a woman so deeply?

SF: I will help you find the pearl of the Marquis of Sui, and then you must let her go.

Woman: How can I trust you?

SF: I am willing to be your slave forever.

[XS forcing the wine down RY's throat]

XS: I cannot believe you will betray me. What kind of unspeakable reason do you have?

SF: I forbid you from seeing him, the only person you can see is me! You belong to me!

RY: You're simply a beast!

[SF slaps RY]

Woman: He's taken my mind control poison, he will only listen to my command alone.

SF: I cannot control myself.

Woman: Kill him! Ran Yan doesn't love you at all! Only Xiao Song!

]XS falls to the ground]

XS: If there is another life, I hope...I can meet you again there.

Thanks alot for your working hard. Waiting daily for your update this drama...

On 3/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, xprosperity said:

Honestly I also need season 2 so we can get the scene when XS and RY become husband and wife, and when finally they have triplet, 2 sons and 1 daughter. I really need that....

On 3/22/2020 at 12:20 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I was waiting for that final kissing scene because Toby Lee mentioned it in an interview. Glad we got that even if they obscured it unnecessarily.

Yes, I've seen the alternate scene. I don't know if the show did well enough to  warrant another series but I'm all up for it especially if Toby Lee is playing XS again. :D

What did you think about her wanting to follow him into death? Did you feel that it was an extreme turn around? Or did you think it was consistent with her character?

Sorry what did you meant about the alternate scene? Can you share me?

@maria_m2me

It's not really an alternate scene... I've been told it's actually what was in the original broadcast on Youku and iQiyi. It shows a hand and we hear a voice that sounds like Su Fu's. He says, "I must have you." Then we get a message at the end saying. "See you again in the future."

You can watch it here.

I'm happy for a second season only if the original cast returns... especially the leads.

China's been churning out dramas like mushrooms or something LoL! Probably to appease their nation of the pandemic lockdown. I'm not complaining though eheheh.

Only watched 1 ep. But I like it. Fl is spunky, smart. She sort of looks like a certain member of I.O.I. The two male leads are attractive. It sort of has the Imperial Doctress type of vibe. Only this tackles forensic science.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

China's been churning out dramas like mushrooms or something LoL! Probably to appease their nation of the pandemic lockdown. I'm not complaining though eheheh.

Only watched 1 ep. But I like it. Fl is spunky, smart. She sort of looks like a certain member of I.O.I. The two male leads are attractive. It sort of has the Imperial Doctress type of vibe. Only this tackles forensic science.

The female lead was in some Kpop group but I don't know the details.

There are some superficial similarities but it's nowhere near as melodramatic as Imperial Doctress. ;) Thank God! But it is much more a crime show rather than a medical one... 

The main male investigator is my favourite part of this show although the script as a whole is strong.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:20 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

When was exactly RY knew that she loves XS? 

1 hour ago, beasima said:

When was exactly RY knew that she loves XS? 

Now that's a hard one... I don't know if there was a single moment. Possibly some time in Episode 26.

But all throughout Episodes 22-26 you see moments of her behaving like she's in love with Xiao Song. She gets rather jealous when people talk about his dead wives. ;) 

In Episode 27 or 28... can't remember exactly. She basically friendzones Su Fu.

It's in Episode 31 that she acknowledges publicly although indirectly that she's in love with him. But he's still under the impression that she's in love with Su Fu. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Tag me anytime you have a question.

good day....have now read the thread for miss truth... you write your views eloquently that im now so interested with the drama...can you please share your thoughts with the last eps...33-36...tysm...

33 minutes ago, verna resurreccion said:

good day....have now read the thread for miss truth... you write your views eloquently that im now so interested with the drama...can you please share your thoughts with the last eps...33-36...tysm...

my bad..... sorry....i just found your write up on it....sorry....

Archived