[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

Having someone sing those lyrics was CP’s worst fear come true and his backup plan was to take the rap to protect his uncle. His position as CP would protect him from being killed but it would tear anew at his relations with the Emperor.

From the Emperor’s perspective, someone had purposely chosen to poke at an old, deep wound that never healed with the chidren’s song on a day that was supposed to be spent bonding with the family. He ordered King He army to leave as he wanted to keep the matter private while he tried to find out who was behind it.

The Emperor could not understand why CP would do it and CP lied that it was because he felt it was unfair of the Emperor not to investigate the perpetuators behind the accusations levied at Gu. The Emperor believed it and ordered CP to be whacked. The episode affected him so much that he fainted although we didn’t get to see the process. Although major scenes were lost in Ep 50 due to censorship, I’m still very moved by the Emperor’s love for CP.

1) He asked Dian Shuai to stop the investigation, partly because it was not a matter to be proud of. 

2) He allowed CP to skip the daily routine of paying respects to him and rest at home for a few days and although he asked him to reflect on his sin, there would be no further punishment.

3) He ordered that medication be sent over to CP.

4) He was prepared to allow General Gu to leave.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks bluehibiscus, for providing another perspective  about the Emperor and CP  relationship with each other. His decision not to investigate. Poor decision making. Could it be he suspects the Empress and Co just like when he Empress Zhao was behind CPrincess  death? 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 3:48 PM, sunnysunday83 said:

Shaoyun: What's the matter with my brother-in-law?

WX: Nothing much. His Highness doesn't want me anymore as I committed a mistake.

Shaoyun: Really? That's great! Gu Neiren, what are your plans from now on?

WX: I'm no longer [neiren]. I'm not sure. I'll probably leave the palace.

Shaoyun: Leave the palace? Then you can come to my place.

WX: Thanks for your great kindness. We'll see.

Shaoyun: Gu Neiren, the crane you've embroidered is really pretty. It's the nicest I've ever seen.

WX: It's a quail.

Shaoyun: Who is the one who said it's a quail? Is he blind?

WX: Please be careful with your words.

Shaoyun: Can you give it to me? I'll take good care of it.

WX: If I give it to you, will you promise me one thing?

Shaoyun: Anything!

CP: Come over.

Shaoyun: Brother-in-law. Your Highness. Brother-in-law. Your Highness. Your Highness. Brother-in-law. Your Highness, it's got nothing to do with her. Brother-in-law. Your Highness.

CP: Take it off and turn around. What are you looking at?

Shaoyun: (Crying) I...I obey.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rose Antwi said:

Thanks bluehibiscus, for providing another perspective  about the Emperor and CP  relationship with each other. His decision not to investigate. Poor decision making. Could it be he suspects the Empress and Co just like when he Empress Zhao was behind CPrincess  death? 

He did not want the matter to be made public, especially if it was CP.

• Like 1

There lies the conflict or misunderstanding. Upon reflection their levels of mistrust of each other. Love of and for one woman. Trust has to be proven. Punish and hurt the ones they care about. The Emperor and CP are similar in some ways. However, my view point on the Emperor has not charged. His poor decision making has had some terrible consequence for CPs health, state of mind and love of a woman who is his match in all things and all ways.   

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 3:59 PM, DramaLover said:

Thanks @bluehibiscus  I guess I don’t understand why CP took the blame for the song. Why was it even CP or Gus responsibility? 

Also, what accusations are being levied against the Gus?

I did notice that the Emperor was very considerate of CP after his whipping. 

Empress Zhao explained the meaning of the lyrics. The song originated when the late Emperor was alive before CP was born.

玄铁融 Black iron melts

凤凰出  A phoenix emerges

金铃悬 Golden bell hangs (Stands for Crown Prince Min as his name contains a character that means bell)

铜镜铸 Bronze mirror is cast (Stands for Prince Su as his name contains a character that means mirror hence we got so many instances of the mirror breaking)

佳人回首,顾不顾 The beauty looks back, Gu or not Gu. I think the second part is a pun on the surname Gu which can mean the outcome depends on the Gus or it may be asking which man the beauty will care (Gu) for.

When he was still Prince Su, he was inseparable from General Gu. Gu’s sister, the only daughter of Zhong Shu Ling at that time, was originally engaged to Crown Prince Min but was forced to be married to Prince Su. Without Gu Muzhi and the Gus, the Emperor would have been Min. The bronze mirror was cast but hanging from the skirts of the Gus (the Emperor depended on the Gus to rise to the throne but he was also restricted by them).

Min was subsequently granted death by hanging.

General Gu was displeased with Zhao’s conferrment as Empress so he was the biggest suspect of using the song to put pressure on the Emperor. 

The Gu army was accused of purposely letting the enemy go and prolonging the battle because they were not interested to fight.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

When he was still Prince Su, he was inseparable from General Gu. Gu’s sister, the only daughter of Zhong Shu Ling at that time, was originally engaged to Crown Prince Min but was forced to be married to Prince Su.

Thanks @bluehibiscus for taking time to explain. It’s hard for non-Mandarin speakers to follow this great drama. I get it now. 

As someone mentioned earlier, it all boils down to mistrust. Also, as Empress Zhao said earlier, CP has a tendency to cling to people and that is his greatest weakness. She is right as shown in this incident. CP admitted guilt to “save” the Gus. 

EmpZhao played on all their insecurities when she schemed for their downfall. 

Side thought - do you think that CP mom was previously in love with ex-CP Min, and Emperor was jealous?  Hence, he treated her coldly?

If the Emperor was jealous, he is a fool he has no right to be. He knew she had someone else in her heart. He wanted to be Emperor he become Emperor, he wanted the woman he loved. He married her. What more did he want?  He got what he wanted he has no right to be upset or jealous and blame others. Under the circumstances he got what he deserved. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Rose Antwi said:

If the Emperor was jealous, he is a fool he has no right to be. He knew she had someone else in her heart. He wanted to be Emperor he become Emperor, he wanted the woman he loved. He married her. What more did he want?  He got what he wanted he has no right to be upset or jealous and blame others. Under the circumstances he got what he deserved. 

And our poor CP bore the brunt of his father’s insecurities. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

If he hadn’t take the rap, then the most likely person to be investigated was General Gu and that could bring unwanted repercussions. Alas, an investigation is underway because Minister He (being an upright official who believes in his duties) and Zhang (being instigated by Qi) insisted on doing it to find the real perpetrator and in the process incited the Emperor’s anger and suspicion towards CP.

Hi all, thanks for the discussions on this drama, it's been so helpful :)

what I don't quite understand is why Zhang is helping Prince Qi. What does he get out of it? Is it purely to get his daughter out of marriage? As I see it, Qi was threatening Zhang to say he knows that his son was the one who spread the song... So wouldn't an "investigation" by him and Minister He put him in danger? Doesn't the CPs action of taking the blame save his son? Why is he going out of his way to screw him over?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silkentofu said:

Hi all, thanks for the discussions on this drama, it's been so helpful :)

what I don't quite understand is why Zhang is helping Prince Qi. What does he get out of it? Is it purely to get his daughter out of marriage? As I see it, Qi was threatening Zhang to say he knows that his son was the one who spread the song... So wouldn't an "investigation" by him and Minister He put him in danger? Doesn't the CPs action of taking the blame save his son? Why is he going out of his way to screw him over?

Hi @Silkentofu welcome to Soompi forum! For your information, you can click on the little heart to show your reaction to any of the posts. This is a nice feature on Soompi. If you wish to tag anyone, type @ followed by the member’s nickname and then select from the list that appears.

Recall that the Emperor had cleared out all the non-family members so nobody else outside the family was supposed to know what happened but Qi went to tell Zhang about the punishment CP had been given. Zhang was shocked as in those days, people in privileged positions were given lighter physical punishments, what more someone in the exalted position of CP (this was why when the other officials heard about it, they had such a strong reaction as 1) they believed in CP and 2)it was a great humiliation to someone who would be the future monarch) so he wondered what the Emperor was thinking. Qi said the Emperor had already taken into account that he was his son; if it had been anyone else, CP would have been killed. 

When Zhang said he believed CP was not responsible, Qi went on to say that Emperor believed that CP was guilty and was willing to believe it. He implied that he was visiting Zhang at the behest of the Emperor. Zhang believed him when he recalled CP’s prior words that the outcome of his investigation was not important —if the Emperor did not believe, then it did not matter if they could not find any evidence. If the Emperor believed, even if they found the evidence, it was useless.

Qi did not really want to marry Zhang’s second daughter. It was all part of his plan to convince Zhang that he was acting according to the Emperor’s wishes. Zhang got a little suspicious when the Emperor said he would investigate Lu Ying’s case and asked Qi if that was the Emperor’s plan all along. Qi assured him it was and that the blame would be laid at CP’s feet since he was acting monarch then. Qi was surprised that Zhang did not want the marriage. He was more than happy to get rid of Zhang as well through Lu Ying’s case since he had been an ally of CP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, galea said:

Oh goodness... If he mentioned the hairpin, is there a chance they're gonna go for the original ending?!... :blink:

It is a nod to the original novel and a form of foreshadowing as they shot alternate endings. The ending they finally chose is supposed to be good.

• Like 1

Hi @bluehibiscus

In the book, 

Spoiler

How was the print Qi and his mother ended? Why was cp deposed? Did the cp ever bring justice to himself? 

I really like this drama and hope the best for the cp but the tone it is moving toward it really make me feel uneasy.

• Insightful 1

48 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

It is a nod to the original novel and a form of foreshadowing as they shot alternate endings. The ending they finally chose is supposed to be good.

That’s my fear too. A good ending to them might be the ending per the novel. :(  That would be a horrible ending after what those two have been through. 

The previews do provide a bit of hope. Their reunion in the next few episodes and hopefully, WX makes CP grovel and pay for the way he manhandle her. :)

Quick question on my mind for awhile - did WX drink the poison and was given antidote /rescued by CP?  Or was it just a sleeping drug, as she slept for two days?