[Drama 2018] Through the Waves, 야파도야 파도야

0ly40

Geez, just watched Ep.142 with subs....this is not looking good for a final JH/ST pairing. Auntie and I are about to be very unhappy. At least she can drink! I will have to cry while she drinks for both of us. 

Too bad JH didn't toss those rings out at the prison or throw them into the Han river. His life is over if he goes back to MJ. SY is stuck being a single mother. Spineless Mom wont be able to see her grandson. What a waste. :unsure:

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a very bleh final episode,  a laughable pathetic moralising of korean forgiveness and and last minute repentance for murder and mayhem committed by Hwang, MJ, SP.  JH being the resident moron, saved SP and Hwang's respective businesses and returned it to them, and house was saved to be returned to the vipers,:angry::angry:

Instead of JT those thugs should have whacked JH made sure he was dead n thrown his body in the river.  The ending for this drama would hv been so much more rewarding with every one paying the price for their crimes.

13 minutes ago, lin55 said:

What a very bleh final episode,  a laughable pathetic moralising of korean forgiveness and and last minute repentance for murder and mayhem committed by Hwang, MJ, SP.  JH being the resident moron, saved SP and Hwang's respective businesses and returned it to them, and house was saved to be returned to the vipers,:angry::angry:

Instead of JT those thugs should have whacked JH made sure he was dead n thrown his body in the river.  The ending for this drama would hv been so much more rewarding with every one paying the price for their crimes.

OMG....what a letdown. No Missing Dad.:angry: No return of the family gold. :angry:No Karma for the baddies....:tears::angry:

P.S. can you pm me the link for the raw? None of the usual spots have it yet. I gotta start my screaming now before it gets too late and I wake the neighbors.

Thanks for the link @lin55

Spoiler

OK, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I can take JH saving the business and the house, even though it makes me mad. As long as he's not with MJ.  I was prepared for a meltdown. The moment she tossed the rings in the pond was the best moment of the episode. Now I know I won't feel the need to write a Fan Fic ending to my personal satisfaction. Not a perfect ending by any means, but I'll take it. 

I've spent 7 months watching this drama. Now what should I watch? I hope the next daily after this is a good one. It looks funny and light. 

What got me so angry is that it took MJ to end the marriage and not dumb retard JH who was conflicted and stilled carried the wedding rings in his pocket.  He should hv dumped her when MS kidnapping by MJ and subsequent adoption plot by her father was revealed.  What a loser to hv as a father.  JH rewarded the Hwangs and SP for each one of their despicable acts, his constant humilation and slaps he received.  MJ got her boutique back, nasty MIL got the house back, Hwang's company was saved and SP got Lucky back.  

CJ's gas issues are revolting and to hv that at her wedding and finale was so gross, the entire cast laughed while I almost threw up the breakfast I was having while watching it.

Till the end SY was so dowdy, no makeover for her, everyone else moved up in terms of hairstyle and dressing, but SY from first to last episode looked like a poor church mouse just plain boring.  I still maintain that SY should not have ended up with JH.

I prefer for her to move on and maybe hv a little boutique of her own.  MJ apologising to SY sounded so fake and insincere.  The same can be said about Hwang's apology to JH, and it riled me up that even when his FIL was in jail,  JH was so respectfully bowing to him.

Drama started out quite promising and well paced as the story unfolded, but it lost direction and its bearings with too long extension. They should have ended between 110 or 115 episodes, the theft of the gold  should have been compensated, missing dad should hv returned (after all the drama started with his letter telling his family to move to Seoul and he will join them later) and JT should have been the male lead.  

2 minutes ago, lin55 said:

What richard simmons me off is that it took MJ to end it, not dumb a$$ JH who was conflicted and stilled carried the wedding rings in his pocket.  He should hv dumped her when MS kidnapping by MJ and subsequent adoption plot by her father was revealed.  What a loser to hv as a father.  JH rewarded the Hwangs and SP for each one of their despicable acts, his constant humilation and slaps he got.  MJ got her boutique back, nasty MIL got the house back, Hwang's company was saved and SP got Lucky back.  

CJ's gas issues are revolting and to hv that at her wedding and finale was so gross, the entire cast laughed while I almost threw up the breakfast I was having while watching it.

Till the end SY was so dowdy, no makeover for her, everyone else moved up in terms of hairstyle and dressing, but SY from first to last episode looked like a poor church mouse just plain boring.  I still maintain that SY should not have ended up with JH.

I prefer for her to move on and maybe hv a little boutique of her own.  MJ apologising to SY sounded so fake and insincere.  The same can be said about Hwang's apology to JH, and it riled me up that even when his FIL was in jail,  JH was so respectfully bowing to him.

Drama started out quite promising and well paced as the story unfolded, but it lost direction and its bearings with all the extensions.  They should have ended between 110 or 115 episodes, the theft of the gold  should have been compensated, missing dad should hv returned (after all the drama started with his letter telling his family to move to Seoul and he will join them later) and JT should have been the male lead.  

I totally agree with you.

Maybe they wanted to make that reference to the beginning when they were children.

When JT said it was him who did that, but it was never funny.

With that plain makeup it makes me wondering if SY is still sick.

@shamrockmom, I'm with you. It's not the best ending but one I'll take.

He sold the company and used part of the money to save SP's entertainment company, MJ Boutique & the house. So, I'm sure he took the remaining money and used it for his family. The ending was okay. JT finally found happiness, MS accepted BS & KH relationship, the younger brother gets a career plus leg surgery and JH has his son. MJ, her mother, & SP are alone and will be for years. Yes, their companies were saved but they have a bad reputation they have to live with due to the father being in jail. 

Some thoughts on the last episode and the drama.

I'm going to sound like a broken record :D.
Started the drama for Yoon Hye but i was disappointed by her character.
The actors and actress who play  SY, JT and JH were a pleasant discovery.
I would add SP.

The con of that drama was the story.
There were some good moments but sometimes it dragged unnecessary like the old men having lice.

If Mi Jin really wanted to be forgiven she should have give some clothes to SY.

The drama was set during the 60s but this song could be JH anthem.

He made me angry during his convo with SY telling her he can't say she shouldn't leave.
Yet he felt responsible of Mi Jin, what about SY and Minsu.
SY is not Marie.

The end was underwhelming, i just finished the episode and i thought that's it?
Not sure if the writers can be only blamed since the broadcast of the following drama changed.

My ideal end would have be to see the missing dad present at the JT/BS weddings.
I have no idea if i would have let JH ending with SY.

Last thing about the drama.
The poster was misleading since CJ father didn't end with BS mother.

Now that I've seen the final episode with subtitles, I'm even happier with the ending. Not 100% happy, but considering that my reaction to Kdrama endings typically ranges from "Meh" to displeased all the way to rage/meltdown, I'm at "Okay" status here. Here is what I liked: 

1. JH sold Daeguk Construction to a subcontractor the company had worked with on the highway. Known to be an honest company, they kept the Daeguk employees. Good--why should some poor working schlub have to suffer because of Thieving Dad? JH took some of the money and with the employees' agreement (key point IMHO) bought back the boutique, and the house for MJ, her momma, and SP. I was a little miffed he didn't buy them a smaller home, or simply swap homes (would have loved to see SP, MJ and Momma move to Sohyun-dong!) but that's minor. MJ can make a little money from the boutique. JH won't worry about them being on the street--even if that's what they all deserve. Sleeping well at night has a price. SP has Lucky Entertainment back thanks to JH providing the financials--however, all his recording artists have left, so he will be starting from scratch. This looks stupid on the surface, but after I thought about it, it's really smart. Now SP has no reason to go revenge mode on JH. SP will likely use the income to support his aunt and MJ. Also, JH needs more enemies like CJ needs more gas!

2. Greasy Minion is gonna be in prison for a long time. Attempted Murder=10 year sentence, minimum. (my best guess, based on Klawguru.com, my go-to Korean law website.) The fact that he threatened JT again in the presence of the prison guard (what a dummy!) should merit some additional time behind bars! 

3. Thieving Dad is really up the creek. His charges=Solicitation of murder, bribery of a public official and embezzlement. Again, I'm going on my best guess here, but he's probably looking at a total of 20 years in jail, minimum. If Thieving Dad is currently 50 (a reasonable guess) he might be imprisoned for the rest of his life. He won't be making any money anytime soon, nor will he be with his family. 

4. The cabaret was sold, and JT is the new CEO. This gives JT a start in his new life (without a murder charge in his background) and knowing how smart and savvy he is, he's gonna turn that shabby joint into a high-end dinner theater/club. I can see him owning a string of clubs and restaurants later on. He will need that money because CJ likes children!

5. JH will go back to the Judicial Institute. Excellent idea! He's not cut out to be a businessman. He needs a peaceful and orderly life, which he will have with SY by his side. His difficult life experiences will provide him with compassion, and a better real-world perspective as a judge. He appears to be an involved father and I am sure he will have more children with SY in the future. It will be difficult for her to trust him again, but if he treats her right she will likely forgive him. I always thought these two loved each other, no matter what.

6. MJ 's chances at another marriage are probably slim and none. With her dad in prison, minimal family money, being a divorcee and potentially infertile, she's not gonna be a catch. My feelings: "Cry Me a River"/sarc

What I didn't like will be in a separate post. 

I want to mention that I thought the actors who portrayed JT, JH, and SY did an exceptional job. SP, MJ, and KH also improved a great deal as the story went along. I hope they get some much-needed rest and will come back with new projects, especially JH and JT. 

Drama ending downfalls:

1. The fact that Thieving Dad and Greasy Minion couldn't be prosecuted for the worst crimes that they committed. Stealing millions of Won of gold (now worth billions), leaving the grandmother to die (so savage and unnecessary) and trying to adopt out Min Soo should have all been punished. However, the crimes would have been more difficult to prove in a court of law. I hope Greasy Minion was properly punished for framing JT as well. Too bad I didn't get to see a scene of Thieving Dad being sentenced by the judge.

2. Missing Dad--the linchpin of the entire drama was that Missing Dad left NK, took the family to Busan for safety (not a dumb move at all, considering Kaesong was the site of one of the first battles of the Korean war) and then wanted them to come back to Seoul as the war was winding down and he would meet them there after rescuing his sister from Kaesong. Background info: Kaesong is not far from Seoul (58 Km, 36 miles) and is the site of the original Sungkyungkwan educational institute.

Finding out in Episode 142 that he probably died before Ep. 4 even started, and that it was a clerical error (!) to have his name on the "Commie List" thus destroying JH's life by blocking his entrance into the Judicial Institute was....such a letdown. Really, writer-nim?? A clerical error?? How awesome would it have been for Missing Dad to make an appearance at the end....'defecting' from the north, perhaps with his sister and other relatives in tow, and clearing his own name and that of his sons? He would be at the wedding(s) of his children, and he could have helped Spineless Mom who seemed depressed/aimless for a while after Greedy Granny died. A showdown between Missing Dad and Thieving Dad could have been an epic scene between two veteran ahjussi actors. I think he would have taken JH "to the woodshed" for what he did to SY.

3. The abduction of Min Soo should have been JH's wake up call to divorce MJ immediately. I was flummoxed that he did not leave her right then and there. Even more perplexing--the abduction was never mentioned again by either party!! WTH! This gives rise to my theory that the writer was asked to extend the drama (probably with very little notice) due to issues with the next drama, and he did a darn good job weaving in this believable story and saving many backsides of other producers/directors/writers. However, the writer messed up when he didn't go back and tweak the script in the episodes after the abduction to have the characters remember it or curse MJ over it....and that was weird. It's as if the story was a thread....that was snipped and patched, and then reattached to the original thread. 

4. JH blathering that he felt "responsible" for MJ up until the very end. Uhhh...how about the innocent SY that you took on a "trip", impregnated and then abandoned? Considering he knew the hardship of growing up without a father, for him to do that was amazingly hardhearted and cruel. For her part, MJ finally realized that a one-sided love wasn't gonna benefit her. She was the one who finally ended it and tossed the rings in the pond and told JH to go back to SY. JH should have ended their marriage many episodes before 143. 

5. I am probably not qualified to comment on this next subject since I am not Korean, but the farting issues, lice issues and the entire deal with CJ's con artist grandfather were all gross, unnecessary and not funny to this westerner. 

6. Way too many precious storytelling minutes were wasted on the singers in the cabaret....singing the same songs over and over. Sigh. 

@ezacessline90 since you came up with an excellent video for JH, I found one for SP since he won't be with BS--or anyone else for a while. Sorry, it will have to be behind the spoiler: 

Spoiler

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018] Through the Waves, 야파도야 파도야

Great post shamrockmom!

That why I say the ending wasn't that bad. The corrupted family may have their companies but they left alone to deal with plenty of criticism from the Korean public. MJ's little Boutique and SP's entertainment company will take a while to recover from the bad press. 

Although this drama was a long frustrating mess I did enjoy reading everyone comments. The next drama is also a TV Novela in a modern day setting. Hopefully, the writing for this drama is much more enjoyable. 

Archived