[Drama 2018] Through the Waves, 야파도야 파도야

0ly40

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few thoughts after watching Ep. 123:

1. Was it just me, or did anyone else think Thieving Dad thought the worst of his daughter when she said, "I got rid of the baby"?

Was I the only one who saw the "Oh S**t" look on his face as he considered the possibility that his daughter was a murderer and a kidnapper? He seemed quite relieved that Min Soo was only at an orphanage, and not at the bottom of a well or a rice paddy somewhere.  I think he knows what she's capable of doing. Now Thieving Dad is gonna send Greasy Minion out to find Min Soo. I'd bet that he might be already adopted out. That should be a fine mess, and good for another bunch of hand-wringing episodes. Wonder what happens if Min Soo is already with another family? Can JH get his kid back or will Min Soo happily live with a normal and stable family instead? More importantly, what about SY? Can she ever get a break? I feel like she's a human punching bag at this point. And JH says, "Trust Me" to her?!? **snort**  **eye-roll**

2. Greasy Minion may finally have some brain cells sprouting in the heat....he's figured out he got the short end of the stick in regards to the bag of gold his partner in crime stole from the Oh Family way back when. Now what is he gonna do? Does he have enough wattage upstairs to hatch a revenge plan against his boss? 

3. SP is still screwed. He's toasted his relationship with BS--she's done with him. That goes for her family as well. He's persona non grata probably even with Granny who liked him at one point. Yunno, 'cause Granny is such a good judge of character! /sarc

His record company is gone, and Lucky Entertainment is pretty much in the heap as well. Greasy Minion and Thieving Dad are both PO'd at him. SP doesn't seem to like HR enough to act interested in her and suck up to her Congressman Daddy. After his cowardly no-show at the press conference and the fact that KH politely and nicely carved his seating apparatus into pieces over it, I'm kind of interested to see what he's gonna try next. He is devious and relatively intelligent. Will he use those traits for evil or good? I think he will pick the first choice to his detriment.

Watch out for the ending for today's episode, its so rewarding and definitely shows SY is the only one with smarts in locating MS whereabouts.  Preview was so good it had me dancing to watch SY slap MJ.... she sooo deserved it.  Looks like halmoni is in trouble after facing off with Mr Hwang.... I really could not care if he buried her alive at this point.

3 hours ago, lin55 said:

Watch out for the ending for today's episode, its so rewarding and definitely shows SY is the only one with smarts in locating MS whereabouts.  Preview was so good it had me dancing to watch SY slap MJ.... she sooo deserved it.  Looks like halmoni is in trouble after facing off with Mr Hwang.... I really could not care if he buried her alive at this point.

Looked like two slaps...two is better than one! It better come with a nice 'crrraacck' sound effect too as a small reward for us viewers. Bonus points if a red hand print mark is shown! I'm counting on the make-up crew to help out.

And I agree with you on halmoni...

And Hyerin is going to get exposed for her sly underhand  tricks....lets see how KH's mum is going to handle her preferred DIL candidate having her lying face plastered on the front page of tne newspaper. Things are looking up for the good guys. 

@shamrockmomI bet that is the first time spoilt MJ was slapped by anyone.  How furious SY must have been to deliver 2 slaps,  with GC and JH both looking on.  Bet news is going to travel fast to Hwang about the treatment dished out to his precious princess, and both MJ and her father are going to wreak havoc on JH's existence.  I hope JH keeps to his word after desperately pleading with MJ about MS's whereabouts, that he wont forgive her if he finds that she lied.  It must have driven MJ insane with jealousy watching JH/SY reuniting with their precious  baby.  SY and JH looked like a loving married couple with their son MS.  JH should not return to that house now he is aware his FIL was complicit in trying to get rid of his son MS. This should be the last straw....  and I am curious what his  next actions would be.

The preview shows halmoni with that pocket watch questioning JT ... bet that is why she confronted Hwang for the theft of that bag.

@shamrockmom there was indeed 2 resounding smacks SY gave MJ but no red imprints.  As usual Hwang was more upset that his plans had gone awry which he blamed DC for, was more furious that his daughter, on  top of being tricked by SY/JH in revealing MS's whereabouts, even got slapped by SY and that JH stood watching ... he had his usual choice words to describe his pathetic son in law.

Said son in law actually came home like a sacrificial lamb and both Hwang (who blamed JH for MJ's actions) and MJ had no apologies and still acted all high and migbty.  Hwang shouted down JH who asked permission (:o!!!) to register MS as his son.  Kudos to SY for facing off against Hwang and warned him against any further harmful acts on MS.... of course the great pick pocket sneered at her audacity for threatening him.

Hyerin got a free pass for bad behaviour after SP paid off the conman for not revealing her name at the meeting with reporter, but I must confess what actually that conman said to the reporter I was not too clear, bottom line BS name is cleared.  Just waiting for BS to find out what SP did to protect Hyerin.

Icing on the cake, karma for halmoni, SY's aunt kicked her out without letting her see MS.  For once I liked motor mouthed aunt.

JT told to Halmoni about tbat watch which was in DC possession was not stolen by him.  I thought this was to drag the drama a few more episodes, so imagine my surprise when Halmoni (who had gone to Hwang's office when she heard his objections to JH registering MS) overhears DC and Hwang talking about that bag of gold they stolen.  Where upon she promptly has a hear attack and collapses.  DC goes to call the hospital but Hwang stops him implying  that they should pretend that they were not even in the office when she collapsed.

Could not understand preview cos it was so fragmented but looks like halmoni regained consciousness in hospital to impart some important info to JH.  Darn it I thought she was done for as far as this drama goes.

Rather long posting for all those who gave up the drama but get updates here.

Ohhh those slaps! They gave me the strength I need to finish this drama. It is beginning to restore my faith in humanity! Hope you enjoy: 

328qJA.gif

And the 2nd one...note that JH is watching without any expression on his face...that family has turned him into a zombie. :( 

6R1wxO.gif

After gasping out an incomplete sentence about Hwang, DC and the bag of gold  that old cow finally kicked the bucket.  Ok good riddance though everyone is understandingly crushed.  The manager who witnessed Hwang and DC leaving the building on the day halmoni collapsed passes info to KH who rushes to hospital to tell JT.  They both rush to halmoni's room to tell JH only to find halmoni has just breathed her last.

In the preview, JH after finally learning the truth from JTabout his FIL, is hell bent on wreaking vengeance on Hwang.  Look like he finally got his pair of balls back!!!

3 hours ago, lin55 said:

In the preview, JH after finally learning the truth from JTabout his FIL, is hell bent on wreaking vengeance on Hwang.  Look like he finally got his pair of balls back!!

Ohhhhh I loved the look on JH’s face.  I can’t wait to see  thieving dad and his Minions go down.  

On 8/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, 0ly40 said:

Bad or good news?

This drama will extend to 143 episodes. So, it will finish on august 31th. (source: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/파도야_파도야).

Is it worth?

Is this drama worth 143 episodes? So far, I'd say yes! I have an eclectic taste in dramas and an admitted weakness for melodrama. Sure, there have been some frustrating moments. But overall, this show has grabbed and held my attention non-stop for 6 months. I've watched almost every episode twice--once without subs and then again with the subs. I've learned many new Korean words and phrases to supplement my studies. I've learned a lot about post-war Korea in terms of the conditions and the customs, and I can see how things were beginning to change. I think the actor/actresses who play JH, JT, and SY are awesome, and I hope to see them again in other productions.

Last year when I went to KCON-LA, the speaker of a panel I attended on Kdramas said that a lot of writers have parents and grandparents who lived thru the Japanese Occupation and/or the Korean War. (scroll about 2/3 way down the page for the info) They grew up hearing all kinds of stories that are now being made into drama plots. I find it fascinating. Even if it's loosely based on truth or embellished for drama purposes, there's a chance I might be watching a piece of someone's RL family history. 

Now what this drama needs to do is "stick the landing" aka have a satisfactory ending. I'd define that as some serious Karma and payback for Thieving Dad, MJ, her Momma, and Greasy Minion. I also believe there will be some highly negative repercussions for Hye Rin, and SP as well. Oh, and Missing Dad needs to reappear and clear his name. That way all the accusations about "guilty by association" are null and void. 

Halmoni is dead and buried

MJ is having another hissy fit that Mdm Gu is helping out diring the funeral at the hse, demands JH leave with her at once but he refused and storms off leaving everone disgusted.  Hwang shows up after that with wife in tow offering fake condolences requesting family shift to one of his apartment.  JT who is holding his anger in, walks off in the middle of Hwang's seemingly charitable offer.  JH informs JT about Halmoni last words. Later both brothers witn KH confirms with Mr Chae to pinpoint the timing of him seeing DC/Hwang leaving Daegu with the time KH found halmoni.  JH confirms with the party HQ that Hwang was not there as claimed by him.  Leaving JH to finally realised halmoni died in Hwang/DC presence and  they left her there on the floor of his office to die.

Finally JT reveals the truth to JH about the true colors of his FIL, that he was responsible for the theft of the bag of gold, his pickpocketting past, that he framed JT for that murder and how he blackmailed JT with their father's past should JT tell his brother about the theft of the gold.  A furious JH tells JT he will handle things henceforth and for JT to stay out from now on.  He goes home to that family with a fake smile profusely thanking everyone for their help. But later in the nignt JH goes into Hwang's office, sits  behind his desk and plots  revenge and payback.

SP acting all aggrieved on finding KH comforting BS.  This guy is a snake, he knows what his uncle did to halmoni and the Ih family, yet he still behaves like he has a relationship with BS, claiming that he should be the one to comfort her.  

Preview shows JT protecting some man in a suit who DC's thugs who have surrounded the man.  First I thought that it looked like Yoon Ju's dad, but on second thoughts maybe not.  I was hoping it would be long lost dad, but if that is the case JT would have recognised him, so not really sure, but definitely some one Hwang wants out of his way. Hwang angry with JT's actions and want him taken care of??  And now JH is refusing to fall into his FIL's plan and go overseas. Things definitely going downhill for Hwang.

As accurate as I can understand without subs.  Drama getting better now, so I am going to follow this to the end. But its getting lonely on this thread:(

1 hour ago, lin55 said:

SP acting all aggrieved on finding KH comforting BS.  This guy is a snake, he knows what his uncle did to halmoni and the Ih family, yet he still behaves like he has a relationship with BS, claiming that he should be the one to comfort her.  

:)SP is definitely a snake.  Something about him just irritates me.

1 hour ago, lin55 said:

As accurate as I can understand without subs.  Drama getting better now, so I am going to follow this to the end. But its getting lonely on this thread:(

I’m watching this till the end too.  It’s really getting interesting! 

9 hours ago, shamrockmom said:

s this drama worth 143 episodes? So far, I'd say yes! I have an eclectic taste in dramas and an admitted weakness for melodrama. Sure, there have been some frustrating moments. But overall, this show has grabbed and held my attention non-stop for 6 months.

I’m totally addicted to this drama.  Even when it got boring for a couple of weeks. I watched every episode.  

On 8/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, lin55 said:

Halmoni is dead and buried

MJ is having another hissy fit that Mdm Gu is helping out during the funeral at the hse, demands JH leave with her at once but he refused and storms off leaving everyone disgusted.  Hwang shows up after that with wife in tow offering fake condolences requesting family shift to one of his apartment.  JT who is holding his anger in, walks off in the middle of Hwang's seemingly charitable offer.  JH informs JT about Halmoni last words. Later both brothers witn KH confirms with Mr Chae to pinpoint the timing of him seeing DC/Hwang leaving Daegu with the time KH found halmoni.  JH confirms with the party HQ that Hwang was not there as claimed by him.  Leaving JH to finally realized halmoni died in Hwang/DC presence and  they left her there on the floor of his office to die.

Finally JT reveals the truth to JH about the true colors of his FIL, that he was responsible for the theft of the bag of gold, his pickpocketing past, that he framed JT for that murder and how he blackmailed JT with their father's past should JT tell his brother about the theft of the gold.  A furious JH tells JT he will handle things henceforth and for JT to stay out from now on.  He goes home to that family with a fake smile profusely thanking everyone for their help. But later in the nignt JH goes into Hwang's office, sits behind his desk and plots revenge and payback.

SP acting all aggrieved on finding KH comforting BS.  This guy is a snake, he knows what his uncle did to halmoni and the Oh family, yet he still behaves like he has a relationship with BS, claiming that he should be the one to comfort her.  

Preview shows JT protecting some man in a suit who DC's thugs who have surrounded the man.  First I thought that it looked like Yoon Ju's dad, but on second thoughts maybe not.  I was hoping it would be long lost dad, but if that is the case JT would have recognised him, so not really sure, but definitely someone Hwang wants out of his way. Hwang angry with JT's actions and want him taken care of??  And now JH is refusing to fall into his FIL's plan and go overseas. Things definitely going downhill for Hwang.

1. SP is the consummate snake. I couldn't believe he was so rude to BS and hassled her right after Halmoni died. Sheesh! I wonder if he was always a jerk, or if he was a good kid once who lost his parents and was traumatized by nearly starving during/after the war. He said himself that he would do anything for Thieving Dad since he saved him. For some crazy reason, I keep hoping he will betray Thieving Dad and start doing the right things. I am likely setting myself up for disappointment here, and I realize the chances are slim and none. 

2. I'm pretty sure that guy JT is protecting is Thieving Dad's political rival.

Edit: and he is definitely Yoon Joo's daddy! Good call!

From what I understood on the preview, the rival was getting ahead of Thieving Dad in the election. Soooo, Thieving Dad called up Greasy Minion to beat the tar out of him and take him out of the race. Way to play fair!/sarc

JT must have gotten wind of this and went to protect him. Cool. JT rocks the action scenes!

I wonder why CJ looked really happy, and then was crying in the preview..?

Good to know it that Hwang's political rival is YJ's dad, and both JH/JT working with him to bring Hwang down.  Apart from that the usual annoying behaviour of SP and MJ trying to lay down the law others dont necessary want to follow, and Hwang plotting taking down of his opponent, YJ's dad, think he is Mr Park??

@shamrockmom CJ crying cos JT was being sweet to her, took her for a nice meal to thank her for being helpful and working hard during the funeral.  He regretted not being able to tell halmoni that he too has a girl he liked, who was willing to raise MS if registered under him.

8 hours ago, lin55 said:

CJ crying cos JT was being sweet to her, took her for a nice meal to thank her for being helpful and working hard during the funeral.  He regretted not being able to tell halmoni that he too has a girl he liked, who was willing to raise MS if registered under him.

It’s so nice to see JT smile.  Finally he has some happiness in his life.  CJ/JT pairing is growing on me :wub:

I'm  back and a bit tired.

Thanks to the hostel wifi i was able to download and watch the last episodes except 128.

I wasn't expecting the death of the grandma.

But the drama and JH needed to wake up so i'm not complaining about that.

I was happy to see SY/JH found Minsu quickly.

It's great they didn't drag that story.

I really liked this week, the drama is getting better.

I just want SY to stop looking pale :lol:.

Just watched the last episode with subs.

It was funny to see BS forgetting to mention Minji.
It shows she's not considered as a family member.

Speaking of the Hwang brat she must be a fan of SY.

She keeps talking about her.

I don't want to make another post so i'm editing again.

SY will be able to help saving JT if he is kidnaped by DC.

Speaking of JT i hope CJ father won't be against their relationship.

Especially after his words.

Archived