Quantcast
meechuttso

OFFICIAL JiAn-Hyuk JoGak-Sculpture-Couple Thread (Shin HyeSun ❤ Lee TaeHwan)

It was only 2014 but they changed so much, it seemed it happened ages ago! 

Anyway, i love this pic from High School King of Savvy! This drama is my favourite ever korean romantic comedy!:wub:

The actors were the best.

So lovely! :heart::heart::heart:

• Like 1

I was starting to write the obituaries here, tell you all that it's been fun (well, maybe not fun, but it's been a ... wtf has this been I don't really know, sorry for the implied bad words).

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die” – HP Lovecraft

But yeah, things are looking very bleak for a Jian-Hyuk ending. But I will keep watching and hoping. 

It is rare and highly frowned upon in Korean society for sibs to be married into the same family. And I have no idea, if it's some kind of strange forbidden fruit thing that makes it the number one theme for many of the weekend dramas I'm aware of - this happens non-stop, and I find it intolerably icky (unfortunately 5-children was like this, and yes, SHS (YeonTae) was caught in that same web). This one is much worse. And it looks like we got 3 pairs on the table here. Talk about a new meaning to the word cluster-****. Sheesh

Thanks for your explanation @meechuttso! Sigh, I really had hoped Seo Hyun-JiHo would be the last line of defense for Jian-Hyuk. Oh well. 

There's a real regret to have however for this episode: they missed one more time the opportunity to hug when he brought a suitcase to move on her clothes. She was emotional and grateful about the fact that he did so much for her. What better timing could they have?

Compare the suitcase scene with Hyuk’s “rescue” of Jisoo. The “rescue” scene had everything: the exciting car chase ending in Jisoo’s car getting boxed in with action movie precision, the swelling dramatic music as the hero Hyuk strides out in slow motion, his long expensive coat flapping in the wind (how the actor kept a straight face through that scene I will never know). It was the classic romantic grand gesture. But it fell completely short for me in comparison to the suitcase scene. No theatrics there. Just simple sincere gratitude from Jian for what I believe was probably an unconscious, automatic act of kindness from Hyuk. 

In fact, most of the Jian-Hyuk scenes have that quiet, understated quality. They eat and work together and have conversations about what they want to do, how they want to live, and what they aspire to. Even some of Hyuk’s big dramatic gestures are relatively underplayed. His “rescue” of Jian from the rain in episode 3 was played fairly straight. No swelling music or slow motion. Compare that with CDK’s rescue of Jian on the mountain in episode 17 which had that slow mo sentimentality. 

I believe the writer stripped Jian-Hyuk scenes of any kind of romantic subtext as a way to emphasize the platonic nature of their relationship but that decision actually had the effect of giving their scenes greater meaning and power through their naturalistic and authentic quality. I’ll take Jian-Hyuk friendship scenes any day over clear umbrellas in the rain and accidental tripping into arms!
In 42 episodes Jian-Hyuk scenes break from naturalism once and only once and that’s during their time in Incheon. When the image of Jian’s profile flashes in Hyuk’s mind and he hits the brakes hard, the show signaled a clear departure from everyday reality. A grand dramatic gesture made all the more powerful for the restraint that came before. And there’s only scene of Jian-Hyuk with swelling music and golden hued light and that’s when she decides to go back to Seoul. So incredibly moving. Sadly Hyuk didn’t get to drive her home in the last episode. It would have been, as you said @titania1000, the symbolic completion of their journey together. 

Episode 41 may have been the death of Jian-Hyuk but I shall clue hunt to the bitter end! I took a look at Jian’s bookcase in episode 7 (39:36) to see if there was a copy of Cyrano de Bergerac, but alas there wasn’t. There was however, a book about Peggy Guggenheim, the socialite and art collector, indicating that the writer probably did do a lot of research on art. And there’s one English language book called the Lady’s Tutor by Robin Schone. Not going to post a description of it here, but it ah…may provide some insight into Jian’s attraction to CDK. Very amusing to think Jian learned English through that book.

Edited by mglthrw8
Edited out my completely cringe worthy and wrong theory on Hyuk's friend.
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2018 at 6:56 AM, mglthrw8 said:

Compare the suitcase scene with Hyuk’s “rescue” of Jisoo. The “rescue” scene had everything: the exciting car chase ending in Jisoo’s car getting boxed in with action movie precision, the swelling dramatic music as the hero Hyuk strides out in slow motion, his long expensive coat flapping in the wind (how the actor kept a straight face through that scene I will never know). It was the classic romantic grand gesture. But it fell completely short for me in comparison to the suitcase scene. No theatrics there. Just simple sincere gratitude from Jian for what I believe was probably an unconscious, automatic act of kindness from Hyuk. 

I agree with you: the scene was completely ineffective from my point of view too. It was badly executed and done one million times before. 

I don't know what it was supposed to add to Hyuk's characterization: it's clear at this point that he is a hero. How he saved his father, his sister, Ji An, how he took care of Ji Soo when she was feeling bad or sick was enough to prove it.

In fact, most of the Jian-Hyuk scenes have that quiet, understated quality. They eat and work together and have conversations about what they want to do, how they want to live, and what they aspire to. Even some of Hyuk’s big dramatic gestures are relatively underplayed. His “rescue” of Jian from the rain in episode 3 was played fairly straight. No swelling music or slow motion. Compare that with CDK’s rescue of Jian on the mountain in episode 17 which had that slow mo sentimentality. 

It's a very insightful observation! 

I realize now that this understated quality was what lead me to believe maybe wrongly (we'll know at the end of the drama) for so long that this pair was the real couple of the drama.

I couldn't believe that the writer took seriously the makjang parts of the story, the best scenes, the ones that showed the writer's skills were the quiet ones: the Seo family scenes and Hyuk and Ji An's moments. They have like you said this naturalistic and authentic vibe, that made me think this is where lies the true message of the drama that the writers tries to convey.

I believe the writer stripped Jian-Hyuk scenes of any kind of romantic subtext as a way to emphasize the platonic nature of their relationship but that decision actually had the effect of giving their scenes greater meaning and power through their naturalistic and authentic quality. I’ll take Jian-Hyuk friendship scenes any day over clear umbrellas in the rain and accidental tripping into arms!

I wouldn't say that those scenes were devoid of romantic subtext: Hyuk was very upfront about his attraction until Ji An's come back to him after she learnt the truth: he asked her if she liked him; and Ji An was aware of it: when she met him the day he put the money in her bag, she did the same. They also considered the possibility to date after Do Kyung entered the shared house.

And let's forget that Ji Soo and mostly Do Kyung confused them for lovers for a long time: he kept calling Hyuk the boyfriend since Hyuk's first rescue of Ji An at night  to the moment after Do Kyung's tried to stop them in the trip back from Incheon to Seoul when he followed them. And he's still jealous of him.

He's not the only one: the male housemates, Hyuk's associate Yong Gook had the same idea.

Also their body language gave them away few times: notably when they went to buy the lamp and few furnitures, during all their meals after she started to work for him...

But i realize reading you how we could have easily read wrongly the intentions of the writers. Everything that made the relationship stand out to me might be acccidental:  the opposite of the writer's intention which was convinced that the audience would always go for the romance between the leads, no matter how it's written and thus didn't try to be subtle.

But something trouble me in this logic: what to make of the part where she showed a lot of sensitivity and a preference for the little moments: when she shared her views on young people, disabled people and poor people especially. Why make Ji An and Hyuk so strong then and not give to the other main couple something as powerful to share as the scenes in Incheon?

In 42 episodes Jian-Hyuk scenes break from naturalism once and only once and that’s during their time in Incheon. When the image of Jian’s profile flashes in Hyuk’s mind and he hits the brakes hard, the show signaled a clear departure from everyday reality. A grand dramatic gesture made all the more powerful for the restraint that came before. And there’s only scene of Jian-Hyuk with swelling music and golden hued light and that’s when she decides to go back to Seoul. So incredibly moving. Sadly Hyuk didn’t get to drive her home in the last episode. It would have been, as you said @titania1000, the symbolic completion of their journey together. 

The gesture was indeed dramatic but at the same time it felt so honest and so true to the character, it didn't seem excessive to me. 

I really saw it as meaning he stopped on the road because he knew it in his bones that something was wrong: flirting in his car with Ji Soo, trying to move on and to forget Ji An, to lose hope to see her again.

Everything was so clear in his mind and heart at that time, that he didn't have any doubt when he saw her: he just took the leap and trust his senses and trust himself that he could bring her back.

It happens in real life sometimes, not the exact circumstances, but the fact that you seem guided by something very powerful, that will take you to the right people at the right time.

Also all the dramatic scenes (i would add the encounter with the seaweed fisher and his wife) were mixed with very realistic dialogues, so everything  what happened during this arc seemed earned, to use your words.

Adding two things that i forgot to mention about ep42: 

Ji An and Hyuk didn't share any private scene but she had one with his father and i can not repeat enough how much i love it when they interact!

Nothing meaningful was said: just that she was ready to get back home after a long and good day at work, but it was enough. The happiness shared in the way they playfully said goodbye was pure, and it felt like a perfect moment.

The kind of moment that makes me dream to see them become a family for real.

The apparent major plothole in ep 41: the fact that Ji Soo connected the dots alone and knew that Ji An was responsible of the movie date, was working on the port and tried to kill herself, was resolved in a very satisfying way for me: it was all because of Hyuk! 

I wanted Hyuk to be the missing link between the ex sisters to help them renew their bond and he did his work of messenger of peace very well.

I think his biggest contribution was the cut board that he asked Ji An to made.But the way he took care of Ji Soo before "falling" for her was what  Ji An would have wanted: she asked Do Kyung to protect her but he never was close to his sister or curious about her so nothing happened between them. Hyuk's intercession was thus an important stone to the reconstruction of the girls relationship.    

Anyway, i really loved the edit with different scenes of him, which showed how influential he was in helping and supporting Ji An going through this trial with Ji Soo.  

• Like 1

One of the rare articles praising Hyuk and Lee Tae Hwan!

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=016&aid=0001349224

I'm sure it wasn't only us: that a lot of korean viewers supported Hyuk and Ji An as we did and would have wish for a different end.

What is sure it's the power of the charisma and chemistry between SHS and LTH made their love story so much credible and appealing that even when their characters have been paired up with someone else, it's not possible to shake off the desire to support this relationship and the feelings they gave me.   

Apparently, in this week episode, JI An will decide to go against everything she lived, thought, felt and said and is dating Do Kyung.

Hyuk and Ji Soo looked on the promo/bts pics and preview like a real couple.

So at least, if the deal is done,  can we have our hug?

Adn also the return of their bond? I miss their scenes together and with his father...      

DU9VPZTV4AAR-jx.jpg

• Like 1

May-You-Rest-In-Peace-quotes-images-pict

Good bye to this thread. I am no longer following this couple nor the drama. Jianny is not the heroine character I had hoped for, very far from it. The writer's story is not compelling enough to watch intently. I barely watched the last one while cursing non-stop. I'll finish it casually but cringe at the thought that with the delays, it will go for another month and a half. I am glad the Olympics are here. Better dramas there. So long to all the chingoos here, but hope to see you elsewhere where SHS plays more interesting character and less traditional and frustrating.

• Like 2

@meechuttsoI knew this post was coming so i'm not surprised but it's still sad that you followed SHS so far in this drama and you couldn't finish it with her. 

I've taken a lot of distance from MGL and my investment is different.

I still  care because i can see why SHS picked this role despite all the cons: like @mglthrw8 said the writer is honestly skilled. She crafted carefully her story at least until around ep30/35,  and created endearing characters: everything related to the Seo Family and Hyuk and his family +Mr Baker is what i expected from a  family drama dealing with real life issues between normal people trying to find their place.

Ji An herself is a positive character: she started at a very low point in her life morally and made spectacular progress. Watching her coming back to life slowly but surely with the help of her male best friend (and not because of romance) was very powerful and liberating, especially for a female character.   

I regret that she fell for a man who treated her so badly and still was abusive when she made her point clear that she didn't want him in her life, but it doesn't undo who she became with the attention and care of Hyuk. Someone independent enough to define what she wants for herself and to resist the social pressure which tries to make her conform to a model. 

The character is three dimensional, credible, complex with her ethical conflicts and worth the struggle if you ignore the romance.

However, the biggest gift the writer gave us is Hyuk: he's everything that you can expect from a real hero and main lead. He's manly, mature, strong physically and mentally and at the same capable of being gentle, attentive supporting, caring, patient and subtle. It warms me to think that men like him have a place in fiction.   

I'm going to repeat myself again, but it's because i'm very convinced that it's true: nothing but really nothing written between Ji An and Do Kyung and Hyuk and Ji Soo can compare to Ji An and Hyuk's friendship. 

I don't think that was entirely the writer's intention: it feels to me that somehow their relationship escaped her and became better on screen than what she imagined, surely because of the chemistry between the actors;  the story of this friendship and how it it influenced the life of Ji An and Hyuk became so powerful that it overshadowed all the other relationships in their life. 

I think that's why their scenes are became so rare lately: the writer realized it and is trying to tone down their bond, to kill any regret for this couple as romantic option. But it doesn't matter: i picked up my otp and got enough clues in the story to know why and how he could have worked for the best, so i'm at peace, not really bothered that she tried to convince me to look at another couple.      

I'll come back later after watching ep43 and ep44. 

• Like 2

Sorry to see you go @meechuttso. Thanks for all your great posts. I’m definitely looking forward to SHS’s next project. She’s very talented.

Just finished 43 and 44. RIP Jian-Hyuk. We’ll always have Incheon I suppose. Sadly it also looks like Hyuk’s arc is mostly finished. He’ll be relegated to background status while the Choi family drama and Jian-CDK plays out. Expect more cutesy scenes with Jisoo sprinkled with a misunderstanding or two. If we’re lucky we’ll get at least one more mature well-written friendship scene with Jian. Hopefully over a celebratory meal after she wins her design competition. 

But i realize reading you how we could have easily read wrongly the intentions of the writers. Everything that made the relationship stand out to me might be acccidental:  the opposite of the writer's intention which was convinced that the audience would always go for the romance between the leads, no matter how it's written and thus didn't try to be subtle.

It’s funny @titania1000 how the audience’s reliance and expectation of well worn tropes in main leads’ relationships creates perverse incentives for writers. Why go through all the trouble of slow careful characterization and painstaking attention to detail when you can just throw in clear umbrellas in the rain, skating scenes, theater chair malfunctions, accidental head bumps etc. 

Because Jian-Hyuk was never meant by the writer to develop into a romance, their scenes mostly avoid the worst storytelling shortcuts and crutches. There’s a kind of specificity and concrete detail in all their conversations/interactions that can only be the product of a lot of thought and hard work by the writer. 

By contrast, Jisoo-Hyuk is full of all kinds of clichés and shallow generalities. And I feel the writer must on some level know this. Look at the Hyuk-Jisoo conversation during their first date meal. It almost seems like lampshading by the writer. After Hyuk dismisses his first love for Jian as just being in need of positive influence as a troubled teenager, Jisoo asks “if so, why do you like me? What do you like about me” Those are questions still in need of good answers. Hyuk tries to playfully dismiss the question by using the same phrase she used to reject him with “there’s no reason for liking someone” but Jisoo of course wants something more specific and says “but still, you didn’t like me before”. He then talks about finding her book of recipes indicating some dreams and ambition and her stopping Hee from leaving. Not exactly convincing reasons. Finally he says that he likes her just for who she is. The most banal and clichéd of phrases. I mean, I know in real life the feelings usually come first and the rationalizations after, but in a work of fiction things need to be properly dramatized. 

“I just like who you are”. Seriously? Come on!

Jian’s attraction to CDK is similarly underdeveloped and frankly inexplicable. The writer made a real mistake in having CDK fail to do his duty to support her in front of his parents way back in episode 19 or 20. If he had just exercised some self-control over his emotions and fulfilled his duty to her that night, it would make her continued attraction and gratitude to him a lot more plausible. And he should have been a lot kinder and more considerate of her especially in episodes 37-39. It should not have taken learning about her suicide attempt to change his attitude towards her. But I guess what is done is done. CDK is behaving a lot better now. I’m sure he and Jian will reject the offer of marriage in the latest episode and pursue a relationship on their own terms.

Interestingly enough, I feel that the development of Seo Hyun-Jiho to be one of the best and most well written parts of the show. A lot of it serves as comic relief but there’s real intelligence at work. It’s a relationship that started off as purely transactional but has since developed into a real friendship and a (for now) one-sided crush by Seo Hyun. A lot of great scenes like JiHo treating her to fried chicken after learning that her family didn’t attend her recital and Seo Hyun apologizing to Jiho outside the club. The highlight of course is when he insists on paying her for their work selling clothes and she first becomes aware of her attraction for him. The scene features the classic kdrama wrist grab but it’s so appropriate and well executed because it’s grounded in good character work. Jiho values Seo Hyun as a friend and person. The money of course is trivial, but the gesture is so meaningful. Seo Hyun’s attraction is completely plausible.

The writer had to work hard to establish a plausible reason for Seo Hyun to develop an attraction to JiHo. Since these two peripheral characters being paired together isn’t inevitable, in order for their possible pairing to be convincing, it had to be carefully developed with specific details and good plotting and characterization.

Edited by mglthrw8
  • Like 2

Some additional thoughts:

I think the writer should have taken the concept of noblesse oblige a little more seriously. CDK should have been a character who embodied aristocratic values at their best while also showing their limitations. His character would be self-conscious about his propriety, honor and sense of duty. His conduct would be unimpeachable and he would exercise self-control to the point of repression and rigidity. A character like that would never have failed Jian in her hour of need, no matter his own personal feelings. But he would of course eventually realize the hollowness of “correct” conduct when it isn’t accompanied with ordinary human compassion and empathy. 

I’ve said it before but Hyuk should have been allowed the dignity of “losing”. I feel the writer made a mistake in changing his feelings for Jian to that of platonic friendly concern. The writer should have allowed him to confess his feelings for Jian and been rejected and forced to deal with the aftermath. It could have made for a fascinating character arc for Hyuk, who was in every way worthy and probably even felt a sense of destiny, first by meeting Jian after her car accident and then later finding her in Incheon, but who at the end of the day simply wasn’t chosen. Because being worthy is not enough. It’s necessary but not sufficient. It would have been so interesting to see this stoic graceful man try to move on. To try and open up the part of his heart he kept closed all these years, because he was nurturing a secret hope that he would see Jian again. What happens when “destiny” fails and life has to go on?

• Like 3

On 08/02/2018 at 11:33 AM, mglthrw8 said:

I’ve said it before but Hyuk should have been allowed the dignity of “losing”. I feel the writer made a mistake in changing his feelings for Jian to that of platonic friendly concern. The writer should have allowed him to confess his feelings for Jian and been rejected and forced to deal with the aftermath. It could have made for a fascinating character arc for Hyuk, who was in every way worthy and probably even felt a sense of destiny, first by meeting Jian after her car accident and then later finding her in Incheon, but who at the end of the day simply wasn’t chosen. Because being worthy is not enough. It’s necessary but not sufficient. It would have been so interesting to see this stoic graceful man try to move on. To try and open up the part of his heart he kept closed all these years, because he was nurturing a secret hope that he would see Jian again. What happens when “destiny” fails and life has to go on?

You spoke my mind. This was exactly what I had hope for especially after the Incheon scene and after she moved into the share house. There was so much interactions and space when he could have confessed and then get rejected. I know they are not going to be together but at least allow him to deal with his feelings openly and then move on. Alas this was not to be and I must say it's a big big waste where you can see the impending chemistry between SHS and LTH just waiting to explode but was forced to retreat instead.

• Like 4

On 06/02/2018 at 7:03 AM, mglthrw8 said:

Just finished 43 and 44. RIP Jian-Hyuk. We’ll always have Incheon I suppose. Sadly it also looks like Hyuk’s arc is mostly finished. He’ll be relegated to background status while the Choi family drama and Jian-CDK plays out. Expect more cutesy scenes with Jisoo sprinkled with a misunderstanding or two. If we’re lucky we’ll get at least one more mature well-written friendship scene with Jian. Hopefully over a celebratory meal after she wins her design competition. 

I still haven't watched ep 43 and 44 because i have others dramas on my plate with way better writing and way better heroines and it's hard now to content myself with MGL; but i keep my position: the Incheon arc added to everything that happened until Do Kyung entered the shared house was the best story of the drama and the heart of it.

I can easily imagine how Hyuk and JiAn's scenes in those last two episodes have been reduced to almost nothing in term of screen time and also emptied of their substance but it doesn't matter too much:  because their story has been completed enough to make them the otp of the drama. 

The writer's choice to not make them "canon" like they said in fandoms, doesn't diminish the impact of the impression they made as potential couple. Consciously or not, she failed completely to make Ji An and Do Kyung  a couple who make sense and the absence of chemistry between the actors have killed the rest. 

When even the main actress (SHS at KBS awards) said that she didn't get why they won the  couple award while they're not even a couple, you know that the professionals involved are following a script that they don't find necessarily convincing. So our perceptions are totally legit.

It’s funny @titania1000 how the audience’s reliance and expectation of well worn tropes in main leads’ relationships creates perverse incentives for writers. Why go through all the trouble of slow careful characterization and painstaking attention to detail when you can just throw in clear umbrellas in the rain, skating scenes, theater chair malfunctions, accidental head bumps etc. 

It's a mystery for me that she could have such a clear and strong intuition of what the audience wants and not feel tempted to subvert it. She followed all the conventions of the genre but at the same time conveyed (at least for me) how not convinced she is of the quality of this kind of archetypal writing, which reduced all her efforts for realism and complexity made in other parts to nothing.

Because Jian-Hyuk was never meant by the writer to develop into a romance, their scenes mostly avoid the worst storytelling shortcuts and crutches. There’s a kind of specificity and concrete detail in all their conversations/interactions that can only be the product of a lot of thought and hard work by the writer. 

We could almost cut off all their dialogues and their context (the Incheon port, the wood workshop, the shared house) and it would make easily an other drama for a network like Tvn, more open to reverse or even let go completely of the conventions in romance.

I believe that's the story she wanted for her heroine, maybe not at the start but later during the process of writing it,  but she felt chained by her obligations and promises. Maybe she will fix it in her next drama.     

By contrast, Jisoo-Hyuk is full of all kinds of clichés and shallow generalities. And I feel the writer must on some level know this. Look at the Hyuk-Jisoo conversation during their first date meal. It almost seems like lampshading by the writer. After Hyuk dismisses his first love for Jian as just being in need of positive influence as a troubled teenager, Jisoo asks “if so, why do you like me? What do you like about me” Those are questions still in need of good answers. Hyuk tries to playfully dismiss the question by using the same phrase she used to reject him with “there’s no reason for liking someone” but Jisoo of course wants something more specific and says “but still, you didn’t like me before”. He then talks about finding her book of recipes indicating some dreams and ambition and her stopping Hee from leaving. Not exactly convincing reasons. Finally he says that he likes her just for who she is. The most banal and clichéd of phrases. I mean, I know in real life the feelings usually come first and the rationalizations after, but in a work of fiction things need to be properly dramatized. 

“I just like who you are”. Seriously? Come on!

The writer is indeed not trying hard to make us root for them: because it would take too much time at the actual pace of the drama to make it credible that he could fall for Ji Soo for real and that his reasons to pursue her now are something more than a direct consequence of the fact he got rejected by Ji An.  

She's purposely avoiding to let the characters take a sincere look at their heart and mind and follow their true selves, because it would reveal that the intentions are lot less romantic than the writer would like to be on Hyuk's side.

She doesn't have the time to adress the issue so she just dropped the ball and gave a rationalization which could give an appearance of logic and allow the drama to continue even if the audience doesn't buy it.       

It's obvious that since  Hyuk realized that Ji An made her choice and it  wasn't him, that he is trying to move as quickly as possible  to not be hurt. Waiting for her all his life like his brother in law did for Hee isn't an option: this kind of miracle only happens once.

He isn't ready to reflect on the fact he's  too repressed and probably  insecure because of his lack of experience to fight openly for her and try to convince her that they were meant to be. And that his fear added to his consideration for her feelings (he didn't want to force her choice) cost him what their couple could have been. 

Maybe he rationalizes it by telling himself that it will work for forgetting Ji An because the two girls are total opposite, dismissing the fact that Ji Soo was raised as Ji An's twin during 28 years and got a life that mirrored so much her fake sister's one that she become her physical copy at one point.

He's also convinced that she wrote the letter that captured his heart (which she didn't)  and just want to enjoy their relationship without asking too much because at least  it's mutual now and has a chance to work. Who could blame him to not want to end alone?

Ji Soo for me is aware that she's not first in his heart and isn't what he looks for in a woman, but that he settled for her because he waited for too long to be loved and that at least it's one condition that she can fullfill: she loved him for a very long time after all.

No matter how the writer made all her questionable attitudes, slapping and jealousy acceptable, no matter how she gave her reassurance from Hyuk that she could be loved for herself, and freed her from her insecurities and changed her attitude to make her less selfish with Ji An,  the truth is  that Hyuk doesn't know her as well as Ji An and never got the same magical connection as with he has all his life with Ji An.     

This kind of compromise with one's expectations  happen a lot of time in real life, but i agree it's harder to understand it in fiction where nothing should be as immutable as presented in the scripts, especially when the characters on screen and the chemistry between the actors are suggesting a different end.             

I think that their couple is heading to be as dysfunctional with time than the Seo parents though  for different reasons but even those couples can last a very long period as proven in the drama and in real life. And in the end it might be the real message of the drama.

ian’s attraction to CDK is similarly underdeveloped and frankly inexplicable. The writer made a real mistake in having CDK fail to do his duty to support her in front of his parents way back in episode 19 or 20. If he had just exercised some self-control over his emotions and fulfilled his duty to her that night, it would make her continued attraction and gratitude to him a lot more plausible. And he should have been a lot kinder and more considerate of her especially in episodes 37-39. It should not have taken learning about her suicide attempt to change his attitude towards her. But I guess what is done is done. CDK is behaving a lot better now. I’m sure he and Jian will reject the offer of marriage in the latest episode and pursue a relationship on their own terms.

Apparently the synopsis for next episodes leaves unanswered the question of their marriage on the offer of his family. What i got from it is that the writer is trying to tell us that her heroine isn't jumping right away in the proposition to live a long and rich life with her persecutors (her stalker and his mother who harassed her) but will try to make a career and keep in touch with her modest ambitions by going oversea study design, before tying the knot and will probably continue later after giving birth and  raising the future male heirs of the Choi dynasty.     

That way, it wouldn't seem that she didn't compromise too much with her values and her loyalty for her family which of course will end up approving her choice because she suffered so much. 

I agree that we didn't need 50 episodes and all the makjang for that: a love at first sight during the car crash when they met would have done the same job. It made their storyline senseless : going all those circles to only reach a point where Ji An 's character development was made worthless

From her suicide attempt to deciding to go for her dream following Hyuk's example and advice, from freeing herself from her social climbing ambition to assuming her newly found independence ( "i know who i am, where i belong and what makes me happy") and refusing to follow Do Kyung's demand to leave her job and marry him, from her opposition to Myungh Hee and her declaration that she wasn't interested in being a part of their family, she seemed to have reached a turning point with no going back where the only thing that she could offer to Do Kyung was her moral support to continue on his path like she learned to do for herself, and this despite all the bad past between them and their families.

To keep her in in love with him is like telling us that she never changed for real and she's still having the same dreams to live a comfortable life, except now  she won't do it at any cost like before but with conditions. 

However as viewer it feels the same for me because  it means betraying her words and hurting her family. It's not bad enough that she can change shameslessly her mind about  liking Do Kyung and dating him, and even marrying him which she refused his proposal when Myung Hee looked down on her  but might consider it if his family is ready to welcome her as their equal, meaning it was all about her pride and they are the one in control like they used to be;  we are also pushed to question what kind of heroine she is since she can erase too what her father went through since she left her family house and how her entire family was threatened, harassed and even assaulted physically in the case of her father.

Those facts seem completely dismissed by the writer in order to sell a fairytale ending. 

On 09/02/2018 at 6:46 AM, Ni Wen said:

You spoke my mind. This was exactly what I had hope for especially after the Incheon scene and after she moved into the share house. There was so much interactions and space when he could have confessed and then get rejected. I know they are not going to be together but at least allow him to deal with his feelings openly and then move on. Alas this was not to be and I must say it's a big big waste where you can see the impending chemistry between SHS and LTH just waiting to explode but was forced to retreat instead.

The way i see it the writer tried to please different sides and avoid the second lead syndrom.

Also Imagine how complicated it would have been for her to kill the shipping arguments for them at this point of their relationship where they seem so close and intimate. If Hyuk had become the unlucky guy unable to get the girl after he saved her and treated her so well, you could be sure that the balance betwee the two ships would have been different and the shipping war could have been real.  

Letting the feelings fade away slowly until the audience forgot what happened between them and increasing the screentime of the other couples was surely an easier way to do things, even at the cost of the integrity of the characters and the quality of the writing. 

I don't think she cared much about insulting the intelligence of her audience: she wouldn't have gone for the cheap tricks ("umbrellas in the rain, skating scenes, theater chair malfunctions, accidental head bumps" like mentioned by @mglthrw8) she used for the main romances otherwise.    

• Like 4

I agree with all about the development of JA and DK. No chemistry, like a forced relationship to satisfy viewers because they are the OTP.  Why make JA attempt suicide and reunite with the very people, DK and his family who drove her to that point. DK was not there for her when she needed him most. The writer could have just made JA extremely depressed. Also, her father and mother were slapped by DK's father and grandfather. Why would you want to be a part of a family that keeps degrading your òwn family. The audience deserve better, main leads don't always have to end up together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New BTS pics of our favourites!

And it's from SHS's insta:astonished::heart::heart::heart: 

She never believed in Hyuk and Ji An but at least she knows how to comfort her disappointed shipper fans!

I love her choice so much: it was the time when Ji An was still sleeping in Hyuk's room and they shared this little moment together which should have lead to something very hot between them if the writer let them be themselves.

Anyway, it's stll pretty and it warms me!

DWOQVlhVQAEYhTA.jpg

• Like 2

I hope i'm not  the only one from our  shipper group  still watching the drama or visiting this thread:cry: 

Keep an eye on our babies, chingus!@Ni Wen @mglthrw8

On ep 43: no interactions between our favourites but a lot of thoughts inspired anyway because i see them everywhere!:blush:

It's completely shallow but did i say how much i hate Hyuk's new hairstyle and color?! It's obvious that it was forced on the actor to make him look younger and probably more like a second lead.

LTH's natural charisma and screen presence did wonders when he saved Ji An but it was probably not the intention of the production to make him totally overshadow PSH like it happened in fact.

Now that the drama tries to sell Hyuk and Ji Soo as a couple, everything is made to make him match her: even physically, and even at the cost of his maturity.

Though, i can't deny that LTH has a very cute side which works well in term of chemistry with SHS, i feel like his character is just forcibly subdued, to look less manly, less powerful, and less a match for Ji An too...:(

Hyuk's lines during his conversation with Hee and Nam Goo after the Choi family bought the buildings that they rent for their shops,  made me want to scream  who is he talking about??!!

Not only  he didn't deny his sister's argument that he should marry "someone of similar background and conditions", but seriously, all that he said could have applied to his relationship with Ji An!!!

As  that he doesn't want to miss a relationship that could have been created and  pushed by fate like for Hee  and Nam Goo! (Hello, guy do you remember how many times you "accidentally" ended up being at the right place at the right time to save Ji An?).

Poor Hero Hyuk! He's really looking for an epic romance, basically everything that he lived with Ji An since he met her: love at first sight, long separation, all kind of hard obstacles that like he said to his sister made him scared which wasn't like him. It was obvious that he refused to act on his feelings for Ji An after Do Kyung entered the shared house because he felt insecure, and now he's clinging on Ji Soo because he feels that he gave up too fast the first time around ...  

Back to Ji Soo; he said that she could have been an important person in his life and that he doesn't want to run away without trying first. which i take as meaning he's not in love with her yet or not enough to sacrifice everything for her. An interesting line because Ji An said the same thing to Do Kyung: that they couldn't know if they are meant to be together without dating, while knowing that his family will always be between them.

Anyway, Hee is clearly not happy with Hyuk's choice to continue to date Ji Soo, no more than Nam Goo who tries in spite of all to stay supportive. It's quite a change since they were their 1st shippers...

Next come the most awful shipping scene ever written on this drama, something horrible enough to beat the drunk kiss between Ji An and Do Kyung: I mean the hug between Hyuk and Ji Soo!

I feel so betrayed! It was the only thing that i wanted for Hyuk and Ji An! Everybody got to hug Ji An: Do Kyung, his sister, even his mother got to sleep with her but we can't have a hug with Hyuk!!!!:bawling:

Anyway, as painful as it was to watch, i couldn't not notice that Ji Soo seemed to react strangely to the hug: surprised as if he did something awkward or inappropriate, while she just announced him that her bio father greenlight her new life including their relationship and promised to protect her. She hugged him back but seemed so hesitant: was she reluctant? I couldn't get from her expression if she was just embarrassed by the strong display of affection in public of if she was surprised by her quiet and passive reaction during this touch, which wasn't even their first.     

Next important scene for our couple: Ji An taking a drink with her best friend and lamenting on the lack of romance in her life!

There were few lines which brought a big smile on my face: 

I want to love myself before someone else 

I can't rush into something giving up on my everything

Whatever happens to her, thoses lines are true and important for an heroine to tell. :heart:

The dialogues didn't mention him but like Hyuk's discussion with Hee referred indirectly to Ji An, every line here can apply to Hyuk: 

• the fact that she's looking for an ordinary working man, an ordinary man who runs his business.        
  • A man that she can see at his office right after work.
  • A man that she could help in his work.
  • With who she  could go for a beer after work!
  • A man that she can support when he feels bad 
  • Someone to who she can  tell her day and what she achieved, and who would praise her for her work!
  • Someone with who she could share little things about her life!  
  • Someone with who she can laugh or get angry but with who she will always make up in the end (remember when she was so sure that Hyuk would forgive her after she rejected him that she told him bluntly).    

i don't know girl: you have the perfect guy for this kind of  life and you already lived it with him, so why can't you just recognize it?

Ji An ending at the sharehouse after her drink session with her friend: i don't care what the drama is telling me, the place became special for her because of Hyuk's work to bring her here. Same for Do Kyung playing with the lamp made by Ji An: it was made thanks to Hyuk's support and trust on her ability to design and create, and the way he took care of her drawing notebook all those years...  

Why is Hyuk forced to endure his fake friend's speech about how hard it's for Do Kyung to start from the scratch? He's seriously telling this to a man who lost his mother very young, had a father who was an alcoholic most of his life and was forced to become the head of the family and to support them while studying to have a better future!!! 

Nothing done by Do Kyung since he left his house can compare to that! So stop this nonsense (to stay polite).

When Yoon Guk acting all oblivious started to wonder if Ji An changed Do Kyung, did someone else notice that Hyuk seemed  hurt (he hide quickly his feelings) and just say that she is a positive influence, then dismiss the subject by pretending having more wood for Do Kyung? I read it as he was still aching for her and not ready to hear that an other guy got to feel the same way about her, while it feels for him that her influence was  something special that she gave to only him and that  doesn't happen between every couple....   

I feel like he's just pretending to want to help  Do Kyung: because he's Ji Soo's brother and Hyuk doesn't want to create conflict but he doesn't think much of him.            

I'm glad that the writer took time to reveal to Ji Soo what Do Kyung did to Ji An: it means that despite the stupid and illogical plot that forced her to forgive him and give him a place in her life, what he did isn't erased by his current reasonable attitude. I found telling that Hyuk was the one to tell Ji An's story of misery with Do Kyung, it made more clear something important: that contrary to Ji An who is trying hard to dismiss the past, he's keeping a full memory of her suffering and won't let go of it, especially if things happen to repeat themselves (Ji An suffering to the point of losing again the desire to live).   

I don't want to comment on Ji Soo and Do Kyung more than necessary (only when it's relevant to our ship) but there's two things which are hard to ignore: 

The only thing preventing Do Kyung's return to his home is, like Ji An said, his pride: he doesn't want to be the puppy of his grandfather like his father has been most of his life. However when he learnt that his grandpa hit and threatened Ji An's father and while perfectly aware (he was present) that her father has already been hit by his father, he didn't sacrifice himself/his pride and didn't accept to return for her sake, but decided to keep his position and provoked his grandfather. Later, he met her but didn't tell what he learnt about what his grandfather did to her family,  didn't either try to warn her of the consequences for her of what he just did. Instead, he asked her to date him....     

On a similar mode when Ji Soo learnt what her brother did to Ji An, she rushed to the wood workshop but made it all about herself: looking silently desperate to the point where Ji An thought something bad happened to Ji Soo and started to comfort her! Making herself the victim:  "what's wrong with me?"!!!  Telling without trouble  petty statements like "everything sorted out for me" but  "you're the problem"!!!

Actually she seemed more irritated that Ji An didn't tell her than worried that Ji An suffered because of her brother, who she didn't blame at all! As usual Ji An totally saw through her words but brushed it off because it was in the past.

Though in appearance Ji An seems to forgive easily, i think she knows very well that some things have been lost forever: after Ji Soo slapped her, she lost the right to get involved in her life and after their reconciliation, it was too late to make up for not being here when she needed her the most. But  doubt that Ji Soo understood  the real message: something has been broken between them and though they found a way to each other, what was missed or destroyed can't be repaired.  Her superficial view of life feeded by her sheltered environment is a strong limit: she can't grasp the full meaning of what Ji An went through and what it means for her.    

When Hyuk joined the girls and offered to go for a drink, i felt that Ji An felt very embarrassed of being a subject of pity for her friend (which was not the case, he was and he is still angry for the way Do Kyung stalked her) and i wonder if it influenced her later to take the decision to date Do Kyung...

• Like 2

I'm still here! @titania1000

Thanks for the BTS pics from SHS's instagram. I so badly want to interpret her choice of that pic as some hopeful clue but I really can't anymore :(

I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to your reactions to the latest episodes. I don't want to get your hopes up too much. Some of the developments are quite discouraging and the show has gone off the rails in many ways. But...I think you'll have a lot of interesting things to write about. I don't want to reveal too much because 1) I'm a little burned out on writing any more 2) I'm a little greedy and want to get your unfiltered reactions to some of the very interesting plot developments. The latest episodes 46 and 47 in particular are worth paying attention to. But again, don't want to get your hopes up too much.

Let's just say CDK regresses and fails to rise to the occasion yet again. He's called out on it by Hyuk and of course excused for his actions by both Jisoo and Jian. But Hyuk is 100% correct in his judgment. I took a peak over on the main thread and even some of the posters there are irritated by his actions. One poster amusingly enough, is so irritated that they're now shipping secretary yoo and Jian :lol:

Jian also outlines to Jisoo her ideal working life (small woodworking shop, design, furniture) and it perfectly complements her being with Hyuk. That's why I was so excited to see SHS post a pic of Jian and Hyuk in his room surrounding by all that lovely wood and wood objects. 

Also Baker and Hee's argument reaches a resolution somewhere in either 46 /47 (they're blended together for me) and it may have implications for Hyuk-Jisoo. 

“what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.” - George Eliot

Your latest post has fed my hope! Really excited to read your further observations.

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 6:10 PM, mglthrw8 said:

I'm still here!

Yes!!! I would miss a lot  my friends otherwise!  :heart:

Thanks for the BTS pics from SHS's instagram. I so badly want to interpret her choice of that pic as some hopeful clue but I really can't anymore :(

I know we've been crushed too many times but how can this be just a coincidence? She so rarely uses her insta and then she decided to bring this?!

No way, it doesn't have a hidden meaning! :blush:

Jian also outlines to Jisoo her ideal working life (small woodworking shop, design, furniture) and it perfectly complements her being with Hyuk. That's why I was so excited to see SHS post a pic of Jian and Hyuk in his room surrounding by all that lovely wood and wood objects. 

See, it couldn't be entirely accidental! Our heroine is making the biggest step since she came back with Hyuk from Incheon, allowing herself to admit in a very subtle way that she fell for the man, not only his way of living but everything he gave her along during their road back to her safety, well being and happiness: his pure soul and his heart.

You're so right to emphasize the importance of wood for her: so did Ji Soo in ep 43 when she came to visit her at the wood workshop and was reminded of the wood furnitures Ji An created for her. For all her blindness to the real Ji An, even Ji Soo still couldn't miss the fact that Ji An loved it. And Since Hyuk "is" wood: it's like his true essence, she can not diverge from him :wub:

I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to your reactions to the latest episodes. I don't want to get your hopes up too much. Some of the developments are quite discouraging and the show has gone off the rails in many ways. But...I think you'll have a lot of interesting things to write about. I don't want to reveal too much because 1) I'm a little burned out on writing any more 2) I'm a little greedy and want to get your unfiltered reactions to some of the very interesting plot developments. The latest episodes 46 and 47 in particular are worth paying attention to. But again, don't want to get your hopes up too much.

“what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.” - George Eliot

Your latest post has fed my hope! Really excited to read your further observations.

Thanks so much for your nice words and concern!:heart:

I won't lie, this drama weighed on me heavily but i fell too deeply for this couple to imagine ever losing hope for them. Even after the end, i will still try in my mind to rewrite the story if it doesn't go the way i want for them. :lol:  

One poster amusingly enough, is so irritated that they're now shipping secretary yoo and Jian :lol:

Not surprised at all that Secretary Yoo became an object for shipping:lol:: i noticed a long time ago that Do Kyung had his best scenes with him (seriously) and that he showed much more humanity during their interaction. They have a real chemistry and are funny together.

However i've always felt that their friendship never develop to its full potential, certainly because Do Kyung knew he was going back to Haesung at one point and their relationship will revert to their old boss/employee dynamic but still i blame  him for not treating him more like his equal after all secretary Yoo did for him.       

Let's just say CDK regresses and fails to rise to the occasion yet again. He's called out on it by Hyuk and of course excused for his actions by both Jisoo and Jian. But Hyuk is 100% correct in his judgment. I took a peak over on the main thread and even some of the posters there are irritated by his actions. One poster amusingly enough, is so irritated that they're now shipping secretary yoo and Jian :lol:

Also Baker and Hee's argument reaches a resolution somewhere in either 46 /47 (they're blended together for me) and it may have implications for Hyuk-Jisoo

Wow so many new developements that i can't wait to see!

I promise to come back soon with more to share!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titania1000 said:

I know we've been crushed too many times but how can this be just a coincidence? She so rarely uses her insta and then she decided to bring this?!

No way, it doesn't have a hidden meaning! :blush:

I know we’ve been burned so many times! But SHS’s post was simply about reminding people to watch at 10 pm and she could have picked ANY scene from her show and she picks the one with her and Hyuk in his room with all that wood! I really really really want to believe it’s a clue!

7 hours ago, titania1000 said:

The dialogues didn't mention him but like Hyuk's discussion with Hee referred indirectly to Ji An, every line here can apply to Hyuk: 

• the fact that she's looking for an ordinary working man, an ordinary man who runs his business.        
  • A man that she can see at his office right after work.
  • A man that she could help in his work.
  • With who she  could go for a beer after work!
  • A man that she can support when he feels bad 
  • Someone to who she can  tell her day and what she achieved, and who would praise her for her work!
  • Someone with who she could share little things about her life!  
  • Someone with who she can laugh or get angry but with who she will always make up in the end (remember when she was so sure that Hyuk would forgive her after she rejected him that she told him bluntly).    

i don't know girl: you have the perfect guy for this kind of  life and you already lived it with him, so why can't you just recognize it?

Ji An ending at the shared house after her drink session with her friend: i don't care what the drama is telling me, the place became special for her because of Hyuk's work to bring her here. Same for Do Kyung playing with the lamp made by Ji An: it was made thanks to Hyuk's support and trust on her ability to design and create, and the way he took care of her drawing notebooks all those years...  

Great observation! She already lived through all that with Hyuk in the sharehouse. I still find it so profoundly moving that by holding on to her notebook he was safeguarding and preserving her dreams (her “golden life”) all those years. She still owes him a lamp!

I first became interested in My Golden Life because it promised that it would subvert the usual clichés associated with the weekend kdrama format.

Take a look at the initial teaser. There’s a literal checklist of all the usual clichés followed by the promise of more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptHDdHed0I. Transcription below.

You’ve probably all seen this scene before, right? Secret of birth. Check. Appearance of a handsome team leader. Check. Smart and independent heroine. Check. And of course the love triangle. Check. One big happy family. Check. Is that all? No! There isn’t one gram of frustration in this drama. Bingo! (says Jian)

Sadly MGL hasn’t lived up to that promise but there’s been enough intelligence and quality along the way that I will continue to be nourished by the smallest crumbs of hope until the bitter end.

Also by sheer coincidence, just before I started to watch MGL, I was rereading a series of outstanding fantasy novels that brilliantly reexamines its own genre and ruthlessly interrogates its tropes. A few excellent fan essays I read argued very convincingly that there’s a running meta-commentary of the fantasy genre that weaves throughout the novels and works beautifully on a thematic, structural and character level. Genre deconstruction in works of fiction is nothing really new. Don Quixote, the first novel is a sort of parody/deconstruction of chivalric romances. But what the author does in his series is a kind of genre ‘reconstruction’ and ‘rebuilding’. Unlike a lot of 90s genre fiction filled with childish nihilism and cynical edgy anti-heroes, the author isn’t out to just burn down and tear apart the genre and its tropes. He loves the fantasy genre and has set himself the task of rebuilding tropes that have gone stale through careless misuse. He wants to remind us why the tropes had meaning in the first place and to revitalize their power. He doesn’t just say that love is an illusion, duty is a lie, honor will get you killed, there are no true knights/heroes etc. Instead he says that the ideals of heroism, duty, honor are very hard work, must always be earned and sometimes tragically come into conflict with each other. Tropes must be earned. And there’s nothing more satisfying than seeing a hard earned well-executed trope. 

That’s why I was so invested in MGL for so long. The first 26 episodes were superb. And the promise of the teaser along with your writing/observations and meechuttso’s “drama revolution” posts made me believe the writer was doing to the weekend kdrama format what my favorite author did to the fantasy genre. *Sigh and that’s what prompted my Kokoschka theory. I hoped beyond hope it was some sly genre commentary. 

You’ll see for yourself later but the dating/romance scenes in the latest episodes have a curiously flat generic quality. Not organic. They’re so oddly detached from any context that they could be swapped into any generic romcom. CDK and Jian during their date scenes cease to act as their own characters and are transformed into two random generic people doing generic date things. Jian even blurts out loud that she has a list of all kinds of generic date stuff she wants to do with CDK. Both of them are just performing roles. Jisoo and Hyuk are also unsatisfying in ways I don’t want to go into detail except to say that Hyuk also appears to be desperately trying to perform a role. Jisoo curiously enough is not as into her role. You’ll see what I mean.

If I was more confident that the writer was actually trying to subvert and twist her genre, I would say that the feeling of “fakeness” was intentional; that it was to subtly alert the audience that those relationships were “wrong”. Unfortunately we’ve been burned way too many times. But I want to believe!

The fantasy writer I mentioned before tries something like that in his novels. He introduces a new character more than half-way (thousands of pages) through his series that is presented as extremely important. But it all feels subtly wrong somehow. There’s no build up. The character is completely bland and generic. He’s supposed to be this new hero/savior type but feels assembled out of the laziest fantasy tropes. In fact his backstory is basically a composite of two other main characters that we’ve been following from the beginning of the series. The essay I read argued that it’s all intentional to show that the character is a manufactured fake. There are strong suggestions that this ‘fake’ protagonist is going to soon come into conflict with one of the ‘real’ protagonists. And the real protagonist is going to reclaim her hijacked narrative by destroying this fake protagonist. A hard earned well-executed trope defeating a lazy one!

So what I’m saying is Jian-Hyuk will prevail over Jian-CDK!
I hope…

Edited by mglthrw8
  • Like 3

On 20/02/2018 at 12:13 AM, mglthrw8 said:

I still find it so profoundly moving that by holding on to her notebook he was safeguarding and preserving her dreams (her “golden life”) all those years. She still owes him a lamp!

So true! Where is his lamp? 

She promised to make one for him but instead did one for Do Kyung :bawling:

She said thank you few times but i need more: something symbolic of their connection! 

I first became interested in My Golden Life because it promised that it would subvert the usual clichés associated with the weekend kdrama format.

Take a look at the initial teaser. There’s a literal checklist of all the usual clichés followed by the promise of more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptHDdHed0I. Transcription below.

You’ve probably all seen this scene before, right? Secret of birth. Check. Appearance of a handsome team leader. Check. Smart and independent heroine. Check. And of course the love triangle. Check. One big happy family. Check. Is that all? No! There isn’t one gram of frustration in this drama. Bingo! (says Jian)

Sadly MGL hasn’t lived up to that promise but there’s been enough intelligence and quality along the way that I will continue to be nourished by the smallest crumbs of hope until the bitter end.

I didn't come for the promise of subversion, only for SHS that i followed from another drama, Secret Forest,  that i beg you to watch because you'll love it, but i totally agree: there's intelligence and quality in the writing of MGL enough to hook me too until the end!    

I hold on that to convince myself that all isn't lost! It's not the end of JiAn/Hyuk until the end of the drama!

Can i say how much i love ALL the literary references that you brought here?:heart:

It's a real treat for me to read you draw parallel between works as different as fantasy novels, Don Quixote and MGL  and quote George Eliot!   

You made me very curious about the fantasy series that you used for comparison: can you share the title?

I never thought that the writer of MGL was heading for a genre deconstruction as sophisticated as the one as the fans underlined in the fantasy series you read, but i agreed (and still do since i haven't give up entirely) with @meechuttso motto  "drama revolution" because i got too the idea that the writer wanted to challenge at least a little bit  those repetitive tropes that weighs on weekend dramas so heavily (probably because of the meddling of the networks to protect the format) and in the end prevent any evolution (What's so addictive about this trope of poor girl marrying a rich guy?:blink:) 

Considering how much cable networks like Tvn, Ocn and Jtbc have deconstructed, especially since 2014, chunks of this wall of conventions which separate South Korea from the rest of the world in term of fiction, it seemed ridiculous to keep the weekend dramas as a safety zone, intouchable and impervious to the debate on genre, violence and positive representation that is going in the social medias and in society..     

I was certain after reading about the previous works of the writer that she wasn't going to approve/legitimate violence against women, be it psychological or physical : she wrote indeed a drama where her heroine had to quit an abusive husband after 20 years of marriage and the all story was about how the heroine worked hard to accept the love of the man who was patiently waiting for her since high school and was dedicated to make her happy.   So i was really disappointed with the way she handled Do Kyung stalker phase, essentially Ji An's reaction to it. I still can understand how it wasn't off putting for her, and didn't end  any lingering feelings that she could have for him. But thinking about it based my experience  on social work, strong attachment and violence in romance can go hand in hand and take time sometimes years for deconstruction,  so i feel most of the time that she's just trying to add a touch of realism here...  

However, sometimes,  the fact that Ji An still confessed loving Do Kyung after he stalked her and dated him after he mandhandled her and belittled her dreams and her achievements makes me strongly fear that the desire to redeem Do Kyung as the male lead would be stronger than to keep the integrity of the female heroine. In those times, i remember Incheon and what you said in a previous post: that Ji An and Hyuk's dialogues were so carefully constructed to enhance the essential qualities of a balanced relationship, it's impossible to imagine that their love story could just stop here. You don't go into so much details unless you think that "tropes must be earned"! 

And that's why i agree with your interpretation on the feeling of fakeness that i felt too (look at the scene where Hyuk and Ji Soo were making sandwiches, they gave a strong friendly vibe): a subtle clue to trigger the alarm telling us that something is wrong. I still think that the writer decided a long time ago to wait the very end (meaning the last episode) to tell us what couple will survive all this mess.  lt seems totally logical to me based on the plot, the characters and their developement that after trying and failing to keep a relationship with the Choi siblings, Hyuk and Ji An  will admit that it's because their relationship is  everything they want from life.    

So i just pray that it won't revealed to be just a trick played on us!   

But I want to believe!

I won't tattoo this line  but i feel it very strongly :lol:

• Like 3

I have also noticed that JA/DK and JS/HK relationships seem to be out of sync since they got together. Even on other forums as noted, some people that shipped these couples, now don't want them to end up together. Some even hope JA does not end up with DK. As soon as DK put back on his business suit, his persona changed back to his original self. He did not inform JA about going back to Haesung and treated HK poorly.  The drama went off track to me also when DK moved into the sharehouse. It seems as though the writer started a new drama from that point, it became the typical rich guy drama of chasing the girl that his family doesn't approve of.  I hope the writer goes down another track with JA not ending up with DK.

• Like 3