Quantcast
meechuttso

OFFICIAL JiAn-Hyuk JoGak-Sculpture-Couple Thread (Shin HyeSun ❤ Lee TaeHwan)

So I am at a loss as to where to begin, but I have to vent somewhere.

So yes, Ep 40 shows that Hyuk will find out first before JS tells her who she is. Hyuk will probably 'shrug it off' and have some random response which won't make sense so no point trying to guess what that will be. Technically, the 'pairing' for this thread is still alive. But honestly who am I kidding? I have no further comments on this, other than hope that Hyuk would somehow understand why JiAn couldn't tell him, and forgive her also for backstabbing him like this by knowingly setting him up with her sister, recognize his true genuine legitimate feelings for her and live as a bachelor for the rest of his life holding a torch for her. That would be the minimal acceptable outcome, but again, who am I kidding?

Unfortunately I have to comment on other unpleasantries in the Ep 39, because it's a comment about the writer and what she has done. Also, the ability to understand the language without translation was essential to the nuances of many scenes in today's episode, unfortunately.

1. Randomly, JiAn opens up to older bro JiTae about her suicide attempt. It was written somewhat acceptably, and reasonably, dialogue wise. It was an important step, so I approve of this scene overall, even with its limitations and timing.

2. JiTae and his response to Su-Ah was the best case one can hope for, and I approve of his having the ***** to stand up for his parental rights even without Su-Ah. He chose life over marriage, and I do believe it is the right decision, if for nothing else, than the fact that SK population is on a serious decline. It shows the kind of optimism we all need to have about the future no matter how bleak things may look today - otherwise poor people may as well stop procreating and just die.

3. The kids' response to their weirded-out father is OK. Somewhat corny, but it's more than an acceptable level of corniness, and it's of sufficient level of importance and complexity to warrant quite a few episodes of screen time, so that we won't be subject to the stupid 'OTP' pairings which are just insulting to my intelligence. The drama is supposed to be about family love and commitment, so yes, at least spend 10 episodes and exit quietly into March so our actress can move on without further trauma.

Spoiler

Sigh, now for the most unpleasant scene ever in the wood shop towards the end. Oh my. I seriously thought she would punch or slap him after that most violent arm grabbing and jerking by him. That was off the charts in terms of level of acceptable violence condoned or implied in family drama. There were comments about how the audio editing must have not been done due to lack of time for that scene, and that might be true. The net effect of the chilling sound of the man yelling for many minutes at that decibel in a room alone at night and the physical violence was truly creepy scary, and there could be no humor or shrugging it off as anything other than that - crime of assault. Her response to this continues to be just beyond ridiculous, ending the night while eating noodles together - are you ******* me? She should have screamed and run out and never come back, no matter what trinkets she had promised Ji-Ho she would have ready by morning.

Spoiler

The writer surely must be going insane from her own mental gymnastics. It's clear from his detailed tirade in the wood shop (including the piece about how her dad had visited the police station while searching for his daughter on dead people list) and all the ways he feels 'slighted' by her for the way she 'mistreated him', his most ****ing ridiculous jealous rage about Hyuk and why she shared all that info with Hyuk and not himself, just the nitty-gritty details he was spewing, just like her spewing of similar details in accusation of him in her end of Ep 26 explosion (it was you?), that the writer had written all this out and kept an incredibly careful catalog of every offense against everyone in every direction from the beginning and was going to use them in justifying the contorted plot unfolding.

Spoiler

But I think this is one of her main failings. These details were used too selectively to maximize impact by the end of each Sunday episode and ratings, to keep the untenable plot lines going for 20 episodes beyond the first 20 (which were bearable as the 'setup'), and the fact that most of the characters were doing everything important under misunderstandings and lack of simple knowledge about the most basic things - full name, family identity? Yes the premise is that there's been baby swapping and all that, so there's 'naturally' misunderstanding about names and identities, but it went far beyond what is acceptable for way too long - 40 episodes out of 50 planned for Hyuk to find out they're sisters?

Spoiler

However without question the biggest fundamental failing of this writer for me is her choice to make Koko the way he is. Did she feel that an actual good guy third generation chaebol grandson is being too nice to the 'evil rich family'? Kind of SK version of the haves and have-nots class struggle story? Different from Romeo and Juliet family feud going back generations. Why she felt a need to tell her story this way we'll never know I suppose. At this point it's as though her portrayal of him to be this crass a man and a childish human being while giving viewers the assumption that he would be one of the main OTP half is the irreconcilable conflict that proved too much to overcome in a halfway graceful or acceptable fashion. If it was her intent to make them impossible as a couple to begin with, there certainly were other ways to do that without making him this ridiculous a character. It's not as if she had to break the mold of previous rich heirs with perfect manners with this story (I can't think of any). His accumulated level of violent tempered outbursts at her from the first day she entered his household and all his failings towards her after her ouster, again coupled with his unbearably creepy, stalkerish jealous rage and deceitful actions and use of physical force against her, the writer seems to have been compiling some kind of case against him to rationalize her rejection of him on grounds beyond just his disqualification based on his parentage? But what for? If she was going to reject him it wasn't based on her 'feelings' we are told.

I am not waiting for any rational answer to any of these questions. This is just tv drama afterall. But it sure is a regrettable one.

• Like 2

The woodshop scene was genuinely sickening to watch. I initially thought the decision not to include any sound was the first time the show actually treated the unacceptable nature of CDK’s actions with some gravity. Letting CDK’s ugly words hang in the dead air was the most effective way to show just how terrifying that scene was supposed to be. But of course that was probably just the unintentional result of not having enough time to do the sound mixing as you @meechuttso suggested as the show completely undermines it by having that awful noodle scene after.

From the episode 40 preview:
CDK: “I understand why we can’t be together now”
Seriously? That’s seriously his takeaway after learning of Jian’s suicide? Making the whole thing about him and their “relationship”? Could he be any more despicable?

Regarding your last paragraph I kind of wonder if the writer is becoming increasingly panicked that the public is not responding the way she thought they would. If the views of the posters on the show’s main thread are also representative of the Korean public, it seems that most still see CDK as a worthy romantic hero.  I honestly think the writer’s been almost too heavy handed in showing how horrible CDK has been behaving. But it’s possible she’s not being heavy handed enough. Maybe after seeing in disbelief the network award “best couple” to Jian and CDK, the writer has decided to escalate the awfulness of CDK. Hence the truly abhorrent woodshop scene.  Maybe the whole show is one strange social experiment by the writer to see how far she can push the boundaries before the public finally rebels. If people are firmly wedded to the stale tropes of weekend dramas it’s possible that the writer has calculated that she needs to forgo any sort of complexity and nuance in CDK’s character and just go for straight up villainy. If so, the writer’s achieving her “revolution” at far too high a price. A pyrrhic victory. 

But what I fear is even worse. If like @titania1000 fears, the writer is revisiting the incheon scenes to start a “redemption” arc for CDK, I……don’t even want to complete that thought. 

I think I’m done with clue hunting and making theories. I’ll stick around here though. You people keep me sane.

• Like 2

I guess i'm alone at being happy after watching ep 39 with subs: i saw a lot of progress for our ship, even though it came in an indirect way and in small steps. 

So i will focus on it because it's my present state of mind and i want to enjoy it before the writer decide to rewrite the story (though i don't feel she will).    

On the scene in the street in front of the shared house,  when Ji An and Hyuk met before getting interrupted, there's few more points that i want to emphasize: 

• Ji An ran to Hyuk: she was that impatient to join him!
  •  I believe it's seeing him after this long day, so intense emotionally that made her so happy: she was very satisfied to have rebuilt strong bonds with her family, but leaving them to find him waiting for her at home made her realize where she's the most happy.
  •  The evidence  that it wasn't the news about her family itself (by the way she shared almost nothing  about what happened) which was important  but who she wanted to see and talked to was in the way she treated the two men who asked her about her father: with Hyuk she was smiling and lively, with Do Kyung, her positive energy faded away. Though he was showing some concern,  she didn't appreciate it and treated his questions like he was annoying, she even  reminded him  that they were over. It's only in the end when he left that she admitted it was killing her inside: for me  not because of her feelings for him but because how draining this relationship has become for her.
  •  Another subtle change of attitude from Ji An that showed a major developement for me: she used to stop when Do Kyung came to talk to her and to ask Hyuk to wait inside. This time she asked Hyuk to continue their discussion inside and was going to ignore completely Do Kyung, who was reduced to grab her hand to get some attention. 
  • The fact is that her conversation with Hyuk caught all her attention: she was surprised by the news and wanted to clarify the details because her curiosity woke up 1 billion%:  she wanted to know  who asked the other and why. Of course, because she's concerned by Hyuk but clearly not in the way she thinks she is. Her eyes were all over him when she referred to his new look: our girl was checking him for real!.  
  • Hyuk's delicateness and  attention to her well being: he didn't want to share his positive news before to be sure she was well too, to not put her in the difficult position to cheer for him when she wasn't feeling well.    

Which brings me to the second important scene: how she reacted to the news. After her discussion with Do Kyung, she went in her room and reflected  on two points: Do Kyung asking her if he really meant nothing for her and Hyuk's decision to date Ji Soo. And once again the way she treated these two questions is so telling for me, i had to restrain myself to calm down. 

The parallel literally got past as soon it was created: Ji An shrugged off immediately Do Kyung's question. Imo because it's a question solved, but she's not aware enough to admit it. 

Without transition, she focused on Hyuk's words about dating someone else.

If this very fast switch to thinking to one man to starting to worry about another is not a symbolic representation of the fact that she had moved on, i don't know what is.

Her expression told that the idea of Hyuk dating Ji Soo was weighing on her heavily, but it's Ji Soo who is concerned here and i could literally feel how she forced herself to welcome the news positively, to not damage more their relationship.

That's why she called Ji Soo: with  good intentions in mind but it didn't entirely work  that way. Indeed, How can anyone miss the fact her call stopped  the conversation between Ji Soo and Hyuk who where texting each other before sleeping! As if it needed any emphasis, the director even used a split screen for the 1st time in this scene!   

Also their encounter at the coffee shop was more ambiguous than it seemed: 

- Ji An totally revealed herself when she admitted that it was obvious that Hyuk was into Ji Soo: i read regret and envy in her delivery, and it was killing me! 

- Ji An is sincerely  worried about Hyuk learning the truth about Ji Soo's true identity and about her family, but clearly when she told her to tell him the truth quickly, she was convinced  too  that it would end sooner their relationship. She didn't believe it could work for Do Kyung and her and doesn't believe more that it will either for Ji Soo and and Hyuk. But she doesn't allow herself to say it and prefers Ji Soo to admit it.              

On Hyuk's side, few things caught my attention:

• during his first date with Ji Soo, he was disappointed that she obviously didn't like the food he picked for her, not like a certain person ...
  • He was still trying to justify the reasons he had to date her: he changed his mind because she wasn't the girl without ambition he imagined, adding unconsciously or not conditions to his interest while he never add any with Ji An (like he said when she came back to him for their 1st meal after she learnt the truth, he was ready to accept her with all she could offer at that time as unsatisfying as it could be).
  • When Ji Soo said that he likes confident woman who can have positive influence on him, a description which has "obviously nothing to do with Ji An" (wth Hyuk!) and for real  doesn't match at all Ji Soo, the first thing which came to his mind is to ask who and to think to his" first love".
  • The fact that he called Ji An his first love. Not his old crush, not the girl who is now  his friend, his first love. He can add clearly his unique love but i get that it wouldn't be considerate in the middle of a date....

About Ji An and Do Kyung, i'll keep it short: 

• i wasn't surprised/shocked by the way he treated her in the wood workshop because it seems to me in character for him and because Ji An defended herself and pushed him away. She's strong enough to not be intimidated, not when she's in her environment, surrounded by everything that gives her strength and confidence. No doubt  however that Hyuk and his father would have chased him....   
  • Ji An said something very important after pushing him: that it's the reason why she couldn't date him: his violence but also the fact that they have nothing in common. The more he put pressure on her, the more she defined what she wanted for herself  until she realized that it's not him.         
  • While Do Kyung was busy screaming that she was playing him and Hyuk and that she wasn't showing enough gratefulness for the concern he showed, she realized that her father thought she was dead and got hit by how hard it must have been for him. But she showed a level of intelligence and maturity in her answer which was very impressive: she cried but she also thanked Do Kyung for letting her know. She understands now more clearer than ever that even bad events have her place in her life. I often compare Do Kyung to a an energy, influence on her life:  negative because he brings a lot of pain but necessary because she learns a lot from the struggle. For me, that's what was at play here.
  • That's why i'm not irritated by the noodle scene: she's not accepting the man in this moment, and the physical distance between them proved it clearly, but the place he has in her life as a force of opposition. One more evidence that she lost her attraction for him : after cleaning her tears, she tapped him on the shoulder to thank him like she would do with a buddy.
  • With the subs, Do Kyung's "grand tour" at Incheon to understand what happened to Ji An doesn't looked that important: like the old fisherman said to him, it was too late. Ji An is now happy and everything is over. but for him it was needed to get over his obsession. As the preview showed, he now accepts that indeed they can't be together after that because he realized that love had no place in those circumstances.

@mglthrw8

From the episode 40 preview:
CDK: “I understand why we can’t be together now”
Seriously? That’s seriously his takeaway after learning of Jian’s suicide? Making the whole thing about him and their “relationship”? Could he be any more despicable?

That is something which weighed on their relationship from the start: he never considers her feelings, only his but at least now he listens to her reasons and understand them. 

I feel good about our couple after this episode, i hope episode 40 will continue on this path.:)  

• Like 2

Apparently our babies had a difficult time in episode 40 after Hyuk learnt the truth about Ji Soo: i don't think he will stay angry at her for too long. It's Ji An after all.

But i believe he might stay away of any romantic feelings for the time being, at least until the end of the drama....      

I noticed their wardrobes matched a lot lately: in ep 39, it was grey coats with blue pullovers,  in ep 40: they went both for a darker look with his all black look and in the last scene she wore darker colors, changed her hairstyle (i loved her waves) and added make up (she looked lovely).         

• Like 1

That’s a very good observation on Jisoo’s disappointment over what Hyuk ordered for her on their first date. When Jian and Hyuk had their reunion lunch he accurately predicted that she wanted to eat aglio e olio and ordered it for her ahead of time to her astonishment and his delight. It’s pretty clear now that the writer doesn’t include any scene by accident. Everything is done with purposeful intention. An excellent piece of evidence for a JianxHyuk ending! And Hyuk bringing up his ‘first love’ unprompted made me laugh. He doth protest too much!

2 hours ago, titania1000 said:

• Hyuk's delicateness and  attention to her well being: he didn't want to share his positive news before to be sure she was well too, to not put her in the difficult position to cheer for him when she wasn't feeling well.    

This so completely revealing of his fundamental goodness. He’s obviously very excited to share his news but can still restrain himself and consider the needs of others. 

I know I just said I wouldn’t do any more clue hunting but I feel that I have to return the favor after your post. 

In episode 32, Jian buys presents with her first paycheck for both her father and her woodworking master , Hyuk’s father. When she gives the present to Hyuk’s father, he protests and tells her that she should be giving it to her father. She of course assures him she’s also bought one for her father. Now it may just be product placement but it could also be a sly joke by the writer that she bought presents for her father and future father-in-law.

I wonder if the carousel that Hyuk made for Jian is going to reappear once more before the end. In episode 7 (39:41) Jisoo picks up the carousel Jian left behind and asks why she didn’t take it with her. Jian takes everything else of personal value with her to the Choi’s but leaves Hyuk’s carousel behind. We get the answer indirectly in episode 8 when Jian tells Hyuk that she doesn’t want to tell him what’s going on with her. Hyuk asks why and tells her she has nothing to be ashamed about. But she is ashamed as her mind flashes back to their conversation about whether to go to her “hypothetical” rich bio parents. Hyuk acts as her conscience and since she doesn’t want to be reminded of her shame, she doesn’t take the carousel with her. In episode 34, Jisoo learns of the Hyuk-Jian connection when she sees the carousel in Hee’s coffee shop. There’s a flashback where Jisoo says to herself that she’s glad she kept the carousel that Jian left behind. But like her love confession note, the carousel’s not really hers to keep. 

What troubles me about the writer is that I can’t simply dismiss her as an untalented hack. The writer is very talented. She puts a lot of thought into what she does and clearly has all of her details straight. Viewed coldly and in isolation from the rest of the show, episode 37 and even the woodshop scene in episode 39 can be said to be well written. They’re unpleasant to watch but very effective and chilling. The writer has real skill. But in my opinion she’s having so much trouble reconciling the demands of the commercial weekend drama format and her more serious thematic and artistic ambitions. So many scenes in the show exist in uneasy tension with each other or sometimes even flat out contradict or undermine each other. MGL is very very flawed and too much for the writer to handle but there’s real intelligence and skill involved. I’m hoping for the best.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, mglthrw8 said:

That’s a very good observation on Jisoo’s disappointment over what Hyuk ordered for her on their first date. When Jian and Hyuk had their reunion lunch he accurately predicted that she wanted to eat aglio e olio and ordered it for her ahead of time to her astonishment and his delight. It’s pretty clear now that the writer doesn’t include any scene by accident. Everything is done with purposeful intention. An excellent piece of evidence for a JianxHyuk ending! And Hyuk bringing up his ‘first love’ unprompted made me laugh. He doth protest too much!

What a lovely detail you brought here! 

I forgot about this dialogue and i shouldn't have: an another example of their natural connection. He knew her so completely and was ready to pick where they left 10 years ago. But JiAn wasn't aware of this at that time and i'm not sure she is more now...

On 21/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, mglthrw8 said:

In episode 32, Jian buys presents with her first paycheck for both her father and her woodworking master , Hyuk’s father. When she gives the present to Hyuk’s father, he protests and tells her that she should be giving it to her father. She of course assures him she’s also bought one for her father. Now it may just be product placement but it could also be a sly joke by the writer that she bought presents for her father and future father-in-law.

It's a lovely attention isn't it? 

I wish this relationship with his father could have been more developed: they rarely share scenes lately and it's almost as if this connection is dying...

I wonder if the carousel that Hyuk made for Jian is going to reappear once more before the end. In episode 7 (39:41) Jisoo picks up the carousel Jian left behind and asks why she didn’t take it with her. Jian takes everything else of personal value with her to the Choi’s but leaves Hyuk’s carousel behind. We get the answer indirectly in episode 8 when Jian tells Hyuk that she doesn’t want to tell him what’s going on with her. Hyuk asks why and tells her she has nothing to be ashamed about. But she is ashamed as her mind flashes back to their conversation about whether to go to her “hypothetical” rich bio parents. Hyuk acts as her conscience and since she doesn’t want to be reminded of her shame, she doesn’t take the carousel with her. In episode 34, Jisoo learns of the Hyuk-Jian connection when she sees the carousel in Hee’s coffee shop. There’s a flashback where Jisoo says to herself that she’s glad she kept the carousel that Jian left behind. But like her love confession note, the carousel’s not really hers to keep. 

Excellent point about the carousel!

I really love the idea that he was her conscience and moral. I asked myself too why she left it behind when she was so careful too no lose it during all those years were her family moved on so often that they even lost their family pics! Your theory is really satisfying for filling this hole.     

Did Ji Soo left the carousel in the Seo house? I don't remember where it is now. She couldn't keep it because she couldn't recognize its real value: wood design is as stranger to her as it is to her brother. 

After this episode, i wonder if it will belong to anyone. I feel like Hyuk deserves to be left alone for the time being.... 

What troubles me about the writer is that I can’t simply dismiss her as an untalented hack. The writer is very talented. She puts a lot of thought into what she does and clearly has all of her details straight. Viewed coldly and in isolation from the rest of the show, episode 37 and even the woodshop scene in episode 39 can be said to be well written. They’re unpleasant to watch but very effective and chilling. The writer has real skill. But in my opinion she’s having so much trouble reconciling the demands of the commercial weekend drama format and her more serious thematic and artistic ambitions. So many scenes in the show exist in uneasy tension with each other or sometimes even flat out contradict or undermine each other. MGL is very very flawed and too much for the writer to handle but there’s real intelligence and skill involved. I’m hoping for the best. 

You said it all and so well: there's nothing to add.

Let's hope that we are not wasting our time....   

Ep 40 was a mixed bag: i don't know what to make of it. The most frustrating relationships seem to have ended, but it also broke up the trust between Ji An and Hyuk. 

I wrote before about how i felt she manipulated him by hiding the truth about her connection with Ji Soo and it seems that Hyuk felt the same. 

She did something serious by lying to him but doesn't seem to have understand how much she hurt him. For a man as principled and secret as him, to share something as personal as he did when he opened his house, his work/passion and his family to her, and to feel betrayed, it's the worst. He was so transparent about himself only because he thought she was doing the same for him.

It's not only the lie which created the betrayal, it's also the fact hat Ji An didn't respect him and his choices and decided for him: I can believe that she didn't consider that he could refuse to date Ji Soo for the same reasons that she had to refuse to date Do kyung. Was she looking down on him or just convinced that her relationship with Do Kyung was very special and that their circumstances were different? If so, it  means she doesn't know him as well as he knows her....

I don't know how they will recover from that, though i hope it will open more space for them to discuss the undercurrent conflict in their relationship: it wasn't credible at all  that the issues brought by Ji Soo and Do Kyung were never touched. And Hyuk showed too much patience. 

But the fact that Do Kyung is starting to show support and understanding when Hyuk is erasing himself from the battleground doesn't seem  positive for our ship.

It was refreshing to see Hyuk so clear about what he could accept and what he couldn't and act accordingly.

I regret however that he was so hard on Ji Soo when she ran after him... They needed a clear separation but not to leave each other on such a negative tone: hopefully they will find a way to become friends again before she goes oversea.  

She still needs to grow out of her selfishness and to become more mature: she admitted wanting to date him for a little time but had no vision about their future and how her family could react. She still blames her bio mother for the fact her relationship with Ji An went wrong, putting all the responsability on the fact that her mother compares her to Ji An and refusing to  reflect on her own attitude.  

Ji An was insufferable this episode: 

• forcing her gift on her father when he said no and before asking him if he wanted it. It's his house!
  • Acting as if Hyuk had no reason to worry about being pressured by the Choi family while she was herself hiding from them for so long because of her fear.   
  • Ignoring Hyuk's feelings when he announced his break up with Ji Soo and asking only about how Ji Soo was. Like really girl you have nothing to say to your best friend to show him comfort? It made me want to say that she deserves those people (the Choi family). I'm annoyed by her attitude considering how much concern Hyuk showed to her at the start of the episode when she presented  her new project to him: he supported her new idea and  also said she was working too hard between her class and the fact that she wasn't taking her days off.  
  • Showing no effort to make up with Hyuk and treating him like the guy that Ji Soo liked when she reported the story to her father....    
  • Lying on her true reasons for wanting to die and diminishing the responsability of the Choi family in it. As if her despair wasn't link to the depression she started because she knew how they would react and which reached a peak when they chased her like she was nothing; and because she was seriously deprived form sleep after Do Kyung made her work like a slave to finish the anniversary event and keep her busy long enough to keep watching her and lusting on her.      
  • Flirting openly with Do Kyung during his teary speech about the big revelation he had at Incheon and pretending that if his family was open to it, she would have date him or that they should have dated in secret. Was the writer congratulating herself for avoiding those basic tropes?
  • While he was admitting  that he only wanted to date, she took his defense and said it wasn't his fault!  
  • She was still feeling tempted to flirt with him when they were cleaning the fridge. He really tried to seduce her by showing that he remembered how the food in the fridge was organized? WTH?     
  • She didn't tell Hyuk that she wanted to leave the shared house to return to her family home.

10/12 episodes still left of this back and forth  before we got free from our jail....    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mglthrw8 said:

This so completely revealing of his fundamental goodness. He’s obviously very excited to share his news but can still restrain himself and consider the needs of others. 

Which was trampled on by Jianny and shrugged off as a given.

3 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Ji An was insufferable this episode: 

Yes all your bullet points are kind of what makes it hard to tolerate these scenes. Not only her completely unexplainable inexusable attraction, gratitude for the psychopath but her continued disrespect for Saint Hyuk. She's not a good friend. She is manipulative and deceitful. She needs to have a fall down on her knees by the seashore type moment over her egregious sins against Saint Hyuk - who will graciously forgive and raise her back to her feet, if her penitence is real.

You said it all and so well: there's nothing to add.

Let's hope that we are not wasting our time....   

Yes, @titania1000 , @mglthrw8  does seem to possess both the rare keen insights and the efficiency of words that keep me saying, "yea, that's exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't for some reason."

19 hours ago, mglthrw8 said:

You people keep me sane.

At this point, sanity preservation after this many hours of commitment to my favorite actress' work is all that is priority for me.

10/12 episodes still left of this back and forth  before we got free from our jail....  

Thank you chingoos. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 22/01/2018 at 1:27 AM, meechuttso said:

Yes all your bullet points are kind of what makes it hard to tolerate these scenes. Not only her completely unexplainable inexusable attraction, gratitude for the psychopath but her continued disrespect for Saint Hyuk. She's not a good friend. She is manipulative and deceitful. She needs to have a fall down on her knees by the seashore type moment over her egregious sins against Saint Hyuk - who will graciously forgive and raise her back to her feet, if her penitence is real.

She seemed like a lost cause after ep 40:  is there really a point to support Hyuk and her as a couple when she keeps such a strong attraction for Do Kyung and shows so much ambiguity about getting out of her abusive relationship with him, which seems to always survive their most violent fights and renew itself one way or another?

Whatever the number of little clues (but were they real signs after all?) i collected about how happy she is around Hyuk, it seems it wasn't enough: Hyuk doesn't give her enough thrill and passion on a personel level to keep her focus on him only .... 

Even if i reduce Do Kyung to a negative energy/influence in her life,  she seems highly dependent on him, on his presence to get a sense of worth. 

In ep39, when  he grabbed her violently. she said that she couldn't date him because they have nothing in common. In ep 40, it took few tears and one apology to change her mind. Depending on the day and his mood, Do Kyung can make her say one thing and then the opposite in a short period, and she doesn't seem to be able at all to resist his manipulation though she sees it.

The worst being that their relationship is written in such a cold way, it doesn't seem like love at all, only sexual attraction.

In ep 39, the fight in the woodshop had a strong sexual subtext: from the moment she took off her coat,  which allowed the camera to linger on her body to underline his gaze, to the words he used: refusing to be a wife of Haesung, refusing to do anything with him, that she was taunting him with the pic to keep him involved, that she knew it would stimulate him, and that she sent a sign to Hyuk and him to play them (he's bringing Hyuk in every fight they have: in front of the shared house he even reminded her that he was the man she likes, not Hyuk and that he shouldn't know things before him). Basically, pushing on her the idea that she was playing hard to get and denying him what he should had since a long time. 

In the level of tension in which he was, and with another actor with a different past, it would have ended with a forced kiss.

We 've been spared this horror but that doesn't mean the writing is more progressist for that: the rest of "their love story"is still strongly sexist, expressing a patriarchal view of women/men relationship.

Did anyone notice how he hide from Hyuk when he came back to the woodshop (for sure, Hyuk didn't know he was working here but since even his best friend betrayed him and used his father, what to do?) and wait until he was gone to sneak in to make his apology.

I realize that even Ji An didn't tell Hyuk that Do Kyung was working here: i think she made a deal with  his associate to keep it secret because Do Kyung lost all his investors,  but i wonder if it will turn him against them all. 

I saw a pic on insta of Hyuk and his friend apparently in a fight in the shared house, so i feel nothing is safe. He didn't eat with Ji An and his friends/housemates when they finished cleaning and left when the chairman got in and i wonder why.

Anyway, now that he learnt about her suicide attempts, and gathered after spying on her and Hyuk infos about her classes and the health of her father, it seems Do Kyung has all what he needs (compassion, doubt about making her happy) to treat her accordingly to her demand and break her resistance, since she already has feelings...

Ep 39 and 40 should be renamed how to transform  a violent stalker in a acceptable lover in one episode!              

I didn't mind that he kissed her before Hyuk, it was narratively natural but that he got to hug her and not Hyuk, that the writer let this happen while their friendship was so strong and beautiful hurts me a lot.

I wonder what will happen to Hyuk: is he going to be forced to solitude or even worst will he make up with Ji Soo? Will he become the guy who lost the girl despite all his love, patience and loyalty to her because he had too high moral standards? Will he be reduced to stay a good mentor and a good boss, capable  to take care of her  health while  challenging her to do her best, but too demanding on a moral level to be her lover?

I don't know how to read the scene where he went to drink with Nam Goo: Hyuk mentionned Hee and asked Nam Goo to give him examples of how it feels to love someone beyond words and Nam Goo answered that he tried to date other girls after leaving her but couldn't help but feel sorry for them. That's when Hyuk said that Ji Soo and him aren't serious then but refused to say more when Nam Goo asked what was going on.

I was confused here probably because of my biais for Ji An and Hyuk, but was he really talking about Ji Soo? if anything the parallel between Hee and Nam Goo works better with Hyuk and Jian. In both cases, it was a first love who was stopped by life before being able to blossom. Though i might read too much in it: Ji An never loved him back like Hee did love Nam Goo. 

And i must admit the comparison can work with Ji Soo and Hyuk too if we consider the opposition of her family. The scene was probably about her since it was inserted between two scenes related to Ji Soo discovering that he knew about her connection to Ji An and  trying to talk to her father to get his help... 

But i believed for one second that he realized that he was still in love with Ji An and his attempt to get over her was a complete fail and that's why he got himself so drunk :he was back to square one without hope since she loves another man. 

I wish he would question her about her feelings to end once and for all any ambiguity between them. 

Can't the writer continue to lead us on about Do Kyung and Ji An until the very end, without involving Hyuk?            

It's not much but i don't want to end this post on a total negative note: at the start of the episode, when they were working alone in the woodshop,  l really  liked how the image of Hyuk and Ji An was blurry at first and progressively became more clear, defined and precise to show them working together, in a peaceful atmosphere,  very close physically, totally comfortable with each other.

I especially loved how Hyuk picked up a pencil and started to complete Ji An 's draft, their heads almost touching and their hands moving in sync. :wub:

In others circumstances, it could have been a nice symbol of the evolution of their relationship, growing quietly but surely in the background, waiting the right time to blossom.           

Once again, she was excited and lively when he was around and they were working together, but the minute he went, Do Kyung came and left her wrecked, crying on the floor....

• Like 2

Having read most of the comments on this thread for about several pages now. I can speak to the fact that the conversation has shift from the focus of the thread which is a couples’ JiAnn and Hyuk. Please other conversations about the writer and other couple should go directly to those threads. For example, analysis of the writer should be in the drama. Thanks 

Those dark times post ep 40 where Ji An is stuck  for no logical reason on the mode "i have feelings for my stalker", are hard to get over: it's even killing my desire to analyze which is it not a little thing to do! 

Browsing through insta brought me thoses scenes from ep 40. 

This scene is full of of lines delivered like punches by Hyuk to Ji An!  :bawling:

I can't pretend that she didn't deserve it but it still hurts: see how you she blinked in shock when he said that it wasn't her decision to make! She was left speechless! 

However i cherish the most his line that he should have been given the choice to decide if he'd want to date Ji Soo or not. For someone was been so hurt to be deprived of her capacity to decide for herself by the lie of her parents, she's not very careful about not treating the same way the people close to her.

And then he threw his biggest blow: "if you are really my friend"!!! Which lead to this huge sad expression on her face ( i don't know how he managed to resist her doe eyes because SHS did a hell of a job here!)  

Is this the reason why she got closer of Do Kyung at the end of the episode and helped him clean?

I was angry at first that Ji An didn't ask Hyuk if he was ok and  only cared about Ji Soo, but if your reverse the reasoning, it seems quite strange that she's not showing more regret for him, as if she was thinking it was for the best/that he took the right decision though she felt pity for Ji Soo. I think that she might feel relieved too that Ji Soo isn't taking for once something that was hers.   

Did anyone else notice the intense and long look they exchanged before he talked? 

So full of feelings that they don't want to express to not hurt each other but yet their connection is so strong,  that they can't help but share their emotional state even without words, and they still got perfectly each other. A thing which belongs only to true couples.  

@meechuttso @mglthrw8 @Ni Wen any thoughts to share about the following scene where Hyuk got drunk: who is talking about as you see it? Does the parallel with Hee and Nam Goo works better for Ji An and him or not?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titania1000 said:

any thoughts to share about the following scene where Hyuk got drunk: who is talking about as you see it? Does the parallel with Hee and Nam Goo works better for Ji An and him or not?

(Stuff in parentheses definitely implied by context.)

Hyuk: If so, then I'm definitely not to that extent (that much in love, as NamGoo was and couldn't date other women for feeling guilty/apologetic towards other women because in NamGoo's mind it's not fair to date them when in his heart it's only Hee).

NG: What is?

Hyuk: Me and Ji-Soo (I'm talking about)(staring at shot glass)

Hyuk: We are not to that degree (wouldn't you agree?)

NG: Man, it's just very frustrating (watching you two)

NG: Hey bro-in-law, just get it off your chest and tell me, what is it?

Hyuk: (drinks a shot and sighs a big sigh).

That's all there is. That's all Hyuk says.

From analogy to NamGoo's story, it doesn't work either way (Hyuk thinking of JS or JA) or it can work both ways. LoL (this writer is full of this s**t, in any translation).

Analogy:

NamGoo: loves Hee, Feels guilty dating other women who don't know where his heart is.

Hyuk: 1) loves JiAn still, doesn't feel guilty about dating JiSoo ('not to that extent he said')

Hyuk: 2) loves JiSoo now, feels guilty for giving up on JiAn, or doesn't feel guilty?

There is no real analogy we can compare NG+Hee with Hyuk+JS or Hyuk+JA. So it's inconclusive in my opinion, but whether he was thinking about JS or JA, he was realizing he's not that crazy in love with either girl compared to NG. :huh: The writer is not providing so much as a few dry pine needles to the flickering ember here....

But technically, the Jo-Gak couple lives still, hanging by a single strand of spider web. To the bitter end!

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your translation Chingu! @meechuttso

Most of the time when i'm lost it's because the translation is bad... 

Maybe it means that he was never that much in love with any of the girl and will just end alone.

But it doesn't fit all the little details that the writer gave us: they can't be all misleading. Something still doesn't add up and probably won't until the end of the drama... 

I'm happy that SHS did the guerilla date with LTH and SES!

They are so cute, even when i'm mad at the writing, i still love them!

• Like 1

I have a more optimistic take on the Baker-Hyuk drinking session. I believe it’s a direct callback to the last time they drank together in episode 22. In that episode, both Hyuk and Mr. Baker were suffering from the pain of unrequited love. They drank in silence and there was only 1 line of dialogue where Hyuk very drunkenly asks Mr. Baker “how many times have you been in love?”, “Once” answers Mr. Baker. 
I believe Hyuk confessed certain things to Mr. Baker that the writer is choosing not to share for now. When Hee asks Mr. Baker the next day what happened the previous night with Hyuk, he looks pretty evasive and guilty. There’s something Hyuk told Baker that he can’t share with Hee. 

I think just as Mr. Baker couldn’t get over Hee despite trying to date other women, Hyuk ultimately can’t get over Jian despite trying to move on with Jisoo. The revelation that Jisoo and Jian are sisters is just a cruel reminder of that for Hyuk. Poor Hyuk can’t avoid or escape anything Jian-related!

By the way, now that a JiHo-Seo Hyun relationship is possible, wouldn’t the success of that relationship decrease the chances of Jian-CDK? It’s rare in Korean society for siblings to marry into the same family right?

• Like 2

@mglthrw8 Thank you so much for this positive thought! It's everything i wanted to hear!

I really love your theory that Hyuk shared something with his brother in law about unrequited first love, not disclose to the audience at that moment.The two men are opposite in term of personality, but they share without a doubt the same capacity to be extremely faithful, loyal,  and devoted to the women they love and that's why i really can't imagine Hyuk moving on with someone else. It can't be a coincidence that they both waited for so long to be reunited with their first love.

On 26/01/2018 at 4:17 AM, mglthrw8 said:

I think just as Mr. Baker couldn’t get over Hee despite trying to date other women, Hyuk ultimately can’t get over Jian despite trying to move on with Jisoo. The revelation that Jisoo and Jian are sisters is just a cruel reminder of that for Hyuk. Poor Hyuk can’t avoid or escape anything Jian-related!

Ji Soo's story mirrored Ji An's life so much: their similar interest for manual work, their birth secret, their entry in  the Choi house after living the Seo family in a fit of anger and frustration though for different reasons, how they have been both forced to hide their true identity and to comply to the rules, how going oversea came up as a solution to avoid more pain for both at one point, and finally Ji Soo being dressed up to look like Ji An. She was becoming like a double of her ex sister. But only a pale copy: her personality and skills are very different.

I have a more optimistic take on the Baker-Hyuk drinking session. I believe it’s a direct callback to the last time they drank together in episode 22. In that episode, both Hyuk and Mr. Baker were suffering from the pain of unrequited love. They drank in silence and there was only 1 line of dialogue where Hyuk very drunkenly asks Mr. Baker “how many times have you been in love?”, “Once” answers Mr. Baker.

This line of dialogue was so telling! They were nothing for each other, not even friends and yet they managed to understand each other without words. It showed that Hyuk wasn't alone and still isn't: the way Nam Goo carried him to home each time proved how much he cared about him, like a real brother should do (not like his associate who seems to only pretend).  

It doesn't seem like a coincidence either that neither Hee nor Hyuk mentioned others dates during all those years where he was waiting/searching for Ji An. So we can presume that Ji Soo was his first girlfriend since Ji An but like you said he's still not capable to escape her: he chose inconsciously someone who is so close to Ji An that she's living in her shadow, repeating all the important points of Ji An's life.

For me, it's because he's not meant to be separated of her and if he tries reluctantly to take another direction, he's redirected to his initial point, like a compass to the north. 

It's worth to notice too, that he didn't think about dating someone else, until Ji An seemed to express that she chose Do Kyung, essentially after he entered the shared house. This moment was a turning point and his decision is entirely related to how he felt about her choice though he didn't allow himself (and the writer didn't either allowed him) to express it. 

OH MY GOD! I'M DEAD!

THEY'RE HUGGING! SHE'S IN HIS ARMS!!! :love:

DUcEEtGVQAA5Uc-.jpg

DUcEFbKU0AUxmH8.jpg:large

• Like 3

On 1/26/2018 at 3:17 AM, mglthrw8 said:

By the way, now that a JiHo-Seo Hyun relationship is possible, wouldn’t the success of that relationship decrease the chances of Jian-CDK? It’s rare in Korean society for siblings to marry into the same family right?

Sorry I didn't get around to replying to this before the wooden stake thru the heart of this thread that was Ep 41, which makes the reply moot.:confounded: But since you asked,...

It is rare and highly frowned upon in Korean society for sibs to be married into the same family. And I have no idea, if it's some kind of strange forbidden fruit thing that makes it the number one theme for many of the weekend dramas I'm aware of - this happens non-stop, and I find it intolerably icky (unfortunately 5-children was like this, and yes, SHS (YeonTae) was caught in that same web). This one is much worse. And it looks like we got 3 pairs on the table here. Talk about a new meaning to the word cluster-****. Sheesh.

So yes if it was real life, the answer to your question would have been JH-SH would have thrown cold water upon everyone else (or better yet, any knowledge of the other 2 older pairings on the part of the younger sibs should have sent them screaming in opposite directions from the very first chance, but of course we have the opposite thing going on). In this drama everything is the opposite of real life, and now the JS-Hyuk 'pairing' will only catalyze and drive the cluster-**** into warp-speed, I am dreading to tell you.

I was starting to write the obituaries here, tell you all that it's been fun (well, maybe not fun, but it's been a ... wtf has this been I don't really know, sorry for the implied bad words).

But then I thought, well if the writer can write her demented and sadistic plot lines to torment us all, we can certainly respond with whatever imaginations and fanfic we want (note to the mods - the byline for the shippers thread clearly says: "real and imaginary couples" afterall).

The single thread of stretched spider web that this thread is hanging by for JiAn and Hyuk's ultimate coupling just stretched 2x as thin, but it's still in-tact.

I am upset at JiAn for her decision to 'rescue' Ji-Soo (who was actually leaving on her own volition) with the help of Hyuk, literally forcing Hyuk on a very short notice to choose the unfortunate path of entanglement with the hellish family against his better judgment. She had manipulated Hyuk in major ways twice already, forcing that date upon them, then with-holding important information by lying to Hyuk that it was her decision and not her sister's to not tell him, and then completely insincerely 'apologizing' to Hyuk when he said "if you're my friend you should not have with-held that information" - this apology is proven to be completely insincere because she is using Hyuk to 'rescue' Ji-Soo when she could have chosen other ways to not entangle him.

JiAn is strongly manipulative and controlling in her doings now, in a particularly egregious way since she's such a victim of other controlling influences in her own life, and that part of her character needs reform before I can warm up to her. She must stop trying to control Hyuk the way she has been if there's any sense of true gratitude towards him on her part

And so, one more step to the bitter end. :dissapointed:

• Like 2

This thread is sad and empty: it needs pretty gifs to warm itself!

I wish i had more things to share about Hyuk and Ji An in terms of pics and gifs but since nobody ships them or appreciate their friendship to its true value, except us, it's very hard to find...

I agree with @meechuttso that ep 41 was  bad for our shipping  feels but for me the one who hurt us the most is Hyuk.

He's showing all the appearances of being in love with Ji Soo: looking knock down by the break up while he was the one taking the decision, daydreaming about her, and drowned in regrets for taking so long to accept her while it's not even the issue, the issue is that their couple at this point has no future with her family in the way.

The writer brought the love letter again but it seems Ji An's writing was essentially a gate to create a bond between Ji Soo and Hyuk. He couldn't have fallen in love without it but now that he's in love, it doesn't matter who wrote it.

But their friendship seems to be in a better place, or at least showed signs of being alive: 

They decided that he's the one taking her home when she will leave the shared house which i found symbolically very important for them. 

He was her companion during this long trip that she started to find herself again: who she was, where she belonged and where she could be happy, and it's the most essential thing that he will be with her until the very end of this road.

From the time  he fight on the port to convince her to come back together to this moment where he will be present at her side for her return to her home, leaving her safe and in good place morally and psychologically and ready to be with her family, he played fully and loyally his role as best friend.:wub:

I stand on what i said before: nothing on the drama compare to what they shared during those days in Incheon.:heart:

Except for the bond that she created with his father and the one she had with her own father, there was no other relationship in Ji An's life which was as essential and influential for her when she came back to Seoul. It gave life again to her dreams on a professional level  and helped her to find her place in her recomposed world post suicide attempt.

The fact the writer didn't undermine this point so far, and made the romance subdued when compared to what JiAn and Hyuk lived together is the thing that helps me the most to feel no regret.

I'd rather have them live what they lived, even if they don't find happiness together at the end, than having them end up romantically involved with the kind of relationship that Do Kyung and her have. That's the kind of story which for sensitive people will always be a case of "they shouldn't have end together but  the writer messed up." 

I don't want this for my ship: It's important for me  that the precious things built between Ji An and Hyuk are protected and survive the end of the drama positively. :)

She called him first when she wanted to rescue Ji Soo: it wasn't manipulation for me, It was a clear sign of how much she trusts him and relies on him for the things which are important for her. During their last discussion where he announced the break up with Ji Soo, he said he didn't want to talk about it anymore, but yet she knew that he wouldn't let her down and still called him. I liked a lot that she said that she (not Ji Soo) needed help: he was answering to his friend's demand, even though his feelings fired up his motivation.

Do Kyung is still so clueless when it comes to their relationship: even though he didn't know that Hyuk and Ji Soo were dating, he shouldn't have been irritated that Ji An called and Hyuk came. At this stage and in any other circumstances, he will always come for her and she won't stop to seek for someone who has, like she said, done so much for her until the very end.  ^_^

There's a real regret to have however for this episode: they missed one more time the opportunity to hug when he brought a suitcase to move on her clothes. She was emotional and grateful about the fact that he did so much for her. What better timing could they have?

I don't know why the writer is frustrating us so much with this point.:unsure: If their feelings are only platonic, why can't they touch?:huh:                  

• Like 1

Ep 42 (clips without subs): I didn't even get time to finish my sentences that the writer decided to shot me right in the head again by swapping Do Kyung and Hyuk in the task of taking Ji An to home! 

Like seriously!?:o Couldn't the writer just keep that for Ji An and Hyuk and only them? They really must be stripped of their friendship too?

At this point, Hyuk is the only real friend for her, Do Kyung is just pretending, he still wants to be with her and has no desire to sent her back to her family. Why spoil such an important moment as her return to home with something so not sincere?

God, thanks for this gif! i really need it to vent my frustration!     

But even so i'm actually in the same mood as Hyuk in ep 41:

DUng2AvVoAAspS-.jpg

At least he has someone to take care of him unlike us!

DUng2AwVMAAWvwq.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/01/2018 at 6:15 AM, meechuttso said:

It is rare and highly frowned upon in Korean society for sibs to be married into the same family. And I have no idea, if it's some kind of strange forbidden fruit thing that makes it the number one theme for many of the weekend dramas I'm aware of - this happens non-stop, and I find it intolerably icky (unfortunately 5-children was like this, and yes, SHS (YeonTae) was caught in that same web). This one is much worse. And it looks like we got 3 pairs on the table here. Talk about a new meaning to the word cluster-****. Sheesh.

So yes if it was real life, the answer to your question would have been JH-SH would have thrown cold water upon everyone else (or better yet, any knowledge of the other 2 older pairings on the part of the younger sibs should have sent them screaming in opposite directions from the very first chance, but of course we have the opposite thing going on). In this drama everything is the opposite of real life, and now the JS-Hyuk 'pairing' will only catalyze and drive the cluster-**** into warp-speed, I am dreading to tell you.

Independently of my shipping preferences, if the 3 couples end together, it would be a level of sentimentalism and melo high enough to provoke diabetes.  

I was starting to write the obituaries here, tell you all that it's been fun (well, maybe not fun, but it's been a ... wtf has this been I don't really know, sorry for the implied bad words).

But then I thought, well if the writer can write her demented and sadistic plot lines to torment us all, we can certainly respond with whatever imaginations and fanfic we want (note to the mods - the byline for the shippers thread clearly says: "real and imaginary couples" afterall).

I can only encourage you to use any means that can keep you around this thread! I have  selfish reasons obviously but also because this ship deserves the best and maybe your writing/fanfics can make people aware that it could have been different and give justice too to our favourite couple! 

The single thread of stretched spider web that this thread is hanging by for JiAn and Hyuk's ultimate coupling just stretched 2x as thin, but it's still in-tact.

There was a time in this drama where Hyuk was so far from Ji An, he spent episodes looking for her without reaching her: she rejected him because she looked down on him and on the help he could offer. She even cut all ties with him to follow the promise made to Do Kyung to never meet him again.

At that time, all that Hyuk had to guide him was the trust he had in Ji An. He decided to stop bother her with his romantic feelings, and to let her come to him when she would be ready to tell her story, and though he was very hurt when she unceremeniously returned his money, he still fought  his anger to save their friendship and make a place for her in his life when she wanted to be herself and came back to him.. 

At one point, all he had to convince her to not give up was old pics of her young self showing how she looked like when she was happy.

I feel today like Hyuk at those times. Though i admit that since the start he did more for her than Ji An did for him, i still want to believe that the kind of loyalty that he showed for her doesn't deserve to be forgotten, and that's why this thread is important. It's like the sample lamp made by Ji An,  based on the book of  her sketches that Hyuk kept all those years and that they tested together, and I don't intend to turn it off, not before ep 52, back or not to hopeless times.

Ep 42 (with subs) offered no real interactions between them, but there were still few details which caught my attention:

It seemed almost impossible few episodes ago but actually Do Kyung said the best lines of the episode and he said it to Hyuk: "What's wrong with you? How could you like Ji Soo after liking Ji An?"

I can't believe he was the only one in the drama to notice the inconsistency of this claim and to confront Hyuk about it! :astonished:

A parallel to make maybe with the last message that Ji Soo left on Hyuk's site in ep 41, where she wished him to date with someone he would know over a long time. 

Are the siblings starting to realize consciously or not that they are not the right people for Ji An and Hyuk?  

Hyuk is still calling Ji An his first love. It's as if he can not put her on another position despite the change in the nature of their relationship: he only remembers that it was romantic love, and that she has preeminence,  while he has all the freedom and power to enhance the platonic nature of their bond. Will he ever call her his best friend?  

Strangely for me, Hyuk and Ji An are claiming out loud that they like Ji Soo and Do Kyung, but the siblings seem to be more cautious about the way they express their feelings. Ji Soo said recently wanting to date a little longer but without being commited, and Do Kyung is getting a little more comfortable in his role of brother.

Hyuk and Ji an's desire to protect Ji Soo's choice was sincere but it was also infantilizing for her.

Hyuk refused to believe her when she said that following him wasn't what she wanted to do but was due to an instant of panic,  but i personally believe that she said the truth.

She might be struggling to find her place in her bio family but i believe that the struggle made her realize too, that she actually wants to have her place in this family: to be aknowledged and loved by her mother for who she is, to prove to her grandfather that she's not inadequate/unfit, to deepen her bond with her father.

I think that she might have realized too they still treated well her after she failed them at the event: they continued to called her Ji Soo, she is still working at the bakery, they offered to her, way before she dated Hyuk, to pursue her dream by studying in one of the best school in the world, pushing her to improved her skills with the promise that  maybe one day she could own her bakery.

The only reason she had to refuse to go was because her life in SK is more comfortable: though she isn't happy at home, she got used to her new life; the Seo family lives close so she can reach them when she needs reassurance, Mr Baker wants to train her and Hyuk starts to date her. 

However she must be also aware that left in this situation, she will never be in capacity to mature and become really independent. I think that's why she never stopped the french lessons: she started to entertain the idea that she could be more. 

That's clearly not how Ji An sees her: for her, Ji Soo is someone dependent on the others to take care of her. Ji An said that's why Ji Soo couldn't survive alone oversea. 

Hyuk has the wrong idea too: he so convinced that the Choi family is treating her horribly that he can't imagine that she would have reasons to love them, that her claim that she doesn't want to go back could be based partially on the pressure she's feeling under their expectations and not only because she doesn't want to leave him and her work.

He's used to play the hero and savior:  what happened with his father, his sister and Ji An gave him reasons to believe it,  but contrary to  Ji Soo, they were all in a very dark places, even influenced/manipulated in Hee and Ji An's cases by toxic people. 

For Hyuk however, the same causes are producing the same effects, and  he made this assumption without really knowing Ji Soo and by deducing her circumstances based on  what he knows about Ji An's story.    

He finds her cute and has a big crush, but he's not looking for a cute partner: he wants an  adult lover in his life. That's why he was angry against her when she hide the truth about her true identity: he was already thinking about getting more serious when she only wanted to spend time with her boyfriend.

When Yong Gook told him about how brave Ji An was when she faced the chairman despite what he said to her, Hyuk answered that it was normal: she is an adult. Clearly, this level of strength is what he's expecting from a woman of their age and clearly this is not the actual Ji Soo.

I wonder if she will follow the path that Hyuk and JiAn seemed to have draw for her or if she will stay loyal to her family like her brother seemed to have decided to do, despite their flaws....

• Like 1