[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

8 minutes ago, anipanch said:

No hate tho, I love the drama, but there are definitely many parallels between Goblin and Hwayugi. Deities in both, human girls to whom they are linked... tvN is trying too hard to get another hit drama like Goblin. Either way, I'm still liking this drama and feel like I'll stick to it till the end. BTW is the character of Ma Wang supposed to be an antagonist? I'm getting so much mixed signals from him, I can't decide what to expect from him. Pretty funny dude tho XD 

Not every drama is trying to be Goblin, this one is based on new journey to the west and the same characters are found here. Also on the contrary two episodes in and I feel so much chemistry between Seunggi and OYS.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Hi  all! :D I really liked the first 2 episodes.
This drama promises to be an interesting adventure.

The main couple are very harmonious and show sizzling chemistry.
Impressively beautiful cast!  My sympathies and wishes for success with you.
? Why look for similar stories, I remain open to unexpected twists of the plot.

Guys, I expect a lot of positive and meaningful comments.
I think now I will hang here for a long time.

• Like 9

As a fan of OYS since 2012, it's the first time that i really love one of her drama and i did not know she could be that great :rolleyes:.

She is perfect as Jin Sunmi and with LSG they look so good together.

And for the people who keep comparing it with the other drama, why would they "copy" that when they already have a much more famous novel, Journey to the West.

Edited by jinsunmi
  • Like 8

Hmmm... yeah it's a fantasy drama with a human girl and two leads living together but that's the only thing similar to Goblin?

This drama is about fighting the demons and saving the world. It's not about the Monkey's bride( monkey's food maybe lol)

I love LSG and OYS chemistry since the first ep.Sizzling!!!! I was skeptical at first cos LSG is such a puppy and OYS is more a like a cat (hmmm... what kind of description is this ) . But boy i was wrong... can't wait for their love story already, esp when monkey gets jealous :tongue:

praying that the man can recover...

• Like 8

I can see more similarity of Hwayugi with Master Sun

The ghosts are really scary here

The similarity happen because its a fantasy drama

Journey to the West is really popular and they do not even need to copy Goblin

I have watched journey to the west when I was in school

So, I know there are many things that they can use to make the drama interesting

Anyway, I hope we get the back story of why Son Oh-gong is being locked

Story of demon king, the General Dong, Jang Gwang & P.k as well

There will also the appearance of  Princess Iron Fan (Owner of the fan that demon king ask sunmi to steal)

Each of this character has their own story in Journey to the West

I hope we get to see it here & the reason they stay on earth

Anyone know what is the total number of episode for Hwayugi?

Are we seriously getting 1 hour 30 mins per episode?

I hope they have enough material and do not drag the story later on

• Like 6

5 hours ago, anipanch said:

No hate tho, I love the drama, but there are definitely many parallels between Goblin and Hwayugi. Deities in both, human girls to whom they are linked... tvN is trying too hard to get another hit drama like Goblin. Either way, I'm still liking this drama and feel like I'll stick to it till the end. BTW is the character of Ma Wang supposed to be an antagonist? I'm getting so much mixed signals from him, I can't decide what to expect from him. Pretty funny dude tho XD 

I agree that this drama does have some things similar to Goblin, but this drama immediately reminded me of the Hong sisters' other ghostly drama, Master's Sun and a throwback to some of their other dramas (even My Girlfriend is a Nine Tailed Fox). I too am enjoying the drama and looking forward to see how it will progress. I also noticed how the Hongs like working with the same actors. 

• Like 4

These two preventable accidents won't stop it from becoming a sensation. In fact, it already is.

The word of mouth is incredibly positive for the the cast and the story. The drama outside the drama shouldn't have much of an influence on the public.

18 minutes ago, SakuraC said:

Anyone know what is the total number of episode for Hwayugi?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, incoty said:

These two preventable accidents won't stop it from becoming a sensation. In fact, it already is.

The word of mouth is incredibly positive for the the cast and the story. The drama outside the drama shouldn't have much of an influence on the public.     

20 ep  with 1 hour 30 mins ep each?:o

Is there other drama that air 1 1/2 hours like this?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ais1ing said:

It seems the Monkey King is in love in the next episode, but I think that's a red herring. It's the Geum Gang Go influencing his heart ---> it literally has enchained his heart and she's the master so naturally he will love her. She needs to get that bracelet off him ASAP for any chance of genuine feelings being generated. I can see the fallout from this as well. He's gonna be so mad at her when it's removed and think any emotions were latent leftover by the bracelet. Not good. 

I'm not sure what to think of Cha Seung Wons character. Why is he so hell bent on locking up the Great Sage again? Is there a backstory here? Did the Monkey King kill his lover or what?

Based on original Journey to the West, the bracelet(headband) play a vital role for Xuan Zang to control Wukong

Its because Wukong is quite wild and did not even listen to him

So whenever Wukong went berserk, Xuan Zang will read the mantra & the bracelet will take an effect on Wukong

So I wonder how will Hong sister make use of this in Hwayugi?

I remember Wukong has also been possessed and try to attack Xuan Zang

I think its might be used here as well in Hwayugi

It will be more dramatic as we get a female Xuan Zang here:D

I love baddass heroes like Son Oh-gong

He actually want to eat her with a sauce

That is something new in korean dramaland

We do not need a chaebol as the hero

Monkey as the lead will just ignore all the rules

I just  hope Sunmi will not end up as a weak & pitiful heroine once Wukong protect her

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SakuraC said:

20 ep  with 1 hour 30 mins ep each?:o

Is there other drama that air 1 1/2 hours like this?

Hmm.. Reply 88 , Goblin, etc big hyped dramas have long airing time

Tvn indeed is too over ambitious with this one

the drama have requires tons of CG affects. 1 hour airing time won't hurt the drama.. in fact it will improve the quality

13 minutes ago, incoty said:

Yes it's a sensation. No re-aired drama could score such high rating esp at 6pm . 

The popularity is crazy but so are the haters

3 minutes ago, SakuraC said:

Based on original Journey to the West, the bracelet play a vital role for Xuan Zang to control Wukong

Its because Wukong is quite wild and did not even listen to him

So whenever Wukong went berserk, Xuan Zang will read the mantra & the bracelet will take an effect on Wukong

So I wonder how will Hong sister make use of this in Hwayugi?

I remember Wukong has also been possessed and try to attack Xuan Zang

I think its might be used here as well in Hwayugi

It will be more dramatic as we get a female Xuan Zang here:D

Here Monk can easily control a monkey who is in love lol :tongue:

no need a bracelet

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

52 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Hmm.. Reply 88 , Goblin, etc big hyped dramas have long airing time

Tvn indeed is too over ambitious with this one

the drama have requires tons of CG affects. 1 hour airing time won't hurt the drama.. in fact it will improve the quality

Yes it's a sensation. No re-aired drama could score such high rating esp at 6pm . 

The popularity is crazy but so are the haters

Here Monk can easily control a monkey who is in love lol :tongue:

no need a bracelet

Oh I thought Goblin air time is like 1 hour 15 mins?

20 ep with 1 hour 1/2

Its a 30 ep  if its a 1 hour drama

That is quite long

We actually have a promising start & story line here

I hope Hong sisters give a back story and do not focus only on the main couple

Plot wise there are many character development that can be used

I hope Hong sister will manage to make the drama interesting until this end

• Like 5

K-Drama Reaction: Hwayugi | Episode 1

hwayugi-episode-1.png?w=708
Date: December 27, 2017 Author: maknaeahjumma

This premiere did not disappoint!

The Rabbit Hole

hwayugi-kal-sowon.png?w=616

I think I’ve mentioned before that I consider world-building as one of the crucial elements of fantasy series. Unlike other genres, those under the fantasy category needs to create an alternate universe and make unbelievable creatures believable. Hwayugi has successfully introduced its audience to a world where entertainment CEOs could be a bull demon king, celebrities are energy-sucking monsters, a ghost-fighting monkey king, and the female lead’s yellow umbrella withstood 25 years of usage. The storytelling and the enthralling cinematic colors have concocted an air of intrigue among the characters, leaving viewers enchanted and curious with their back stories.

More here: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/k-drama-reaction-hwayugi-episode-1/

• Like 4

Why do people always compare it to Goblin? And always implying that Goblin is the greatest kdrama of all time like duh? IT'S THE WORST KDRAMA LAST YEAR, I dozed off while watching it, it was very childish, the plot seems didn't move. I really don't get it why people are loving it. Anyway, I've already watched the 2 episodes of Hwayugi with english subs this time, I can say that it was very Hong Sisters, the way they created the world (Yes. I've watched all the Hong Sisters drama, just didn't finish Warm and Cozy), it's so much like a manga-like world. They are the best at making the premise like who would've thought about a woman seeing ghosts and when he touch that man, the ghosts will disappear (Yea, it's Master's sun. haha) very interesting.

As an avid watcher of Hong Sisters' drama, I am more like excited on the plot development because you know, that's their weakest point as they will just recycle every plot from their past dramas. As also from my observation, I am just a little sad because the comedic style of hong sisters are changing. You know, in their past dramas they used the situation to become comical (He's Beautiful, My Girl and The Greatest Love) with the comedic timing of the actors, but in here and Master's Sun, they rely much on the actor's comedic timing and not much about their writing.

But, anyway, the 2 episodes, premise is interesting, acting is kinda over the top, the script might be witty but the execution failed this time. I hope the Hong Sisters should partner with the PD of He's Beautiful next time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ais1ing said:

I'm not sure what to think of Cha Seung Wons character. Why is he so hell bent on locking up the Great Sage again? Is there a backstory here? Did the Monkey King kill his lover or what?

Could have something to do with the fan that is in Monkey King's possession. In the Chinese Journey to the West, the real owner of the fan is Princess Iron Fan, not sure if this character will be adapted.  He has a child too. mp61820517_1457062116515_5.jpeg

It's fairly natural to compare Goblin and Hwayugi. In all honesty, they share too many similarities to not be compared. 

1) Female lead sees ghosts since young. 

2) Male lead is a powerful deity. 

3) Female lead can summon male lead; Goblin by blowing candle; Hwayugi by calling his name

4) Takes place in modern time

5) Gong Yoo vs Lee Dong Wook; Lee Seung Gi vs Cha Seung Won-----> bromance 

6) Continually from 5, the pair lives together

.....and probably many more. 

If Goblin aired a decade ago, perhaps there's less a need for comparison. 

The other 90mins show I could think of now is Wise Prison Life, which has no CG needed. 

• Like 5

However , the female lead is not a high school girl who is under abuse.

she is a strong independent  woman who have been fighting all the ghosts alone.

The female lead will be the teacher leading bulls, monkey, and pig with the mission to demolish all evil spirits.

The female lead here is not a bride. Oh Gong isn't a swoon worthy perfect male lead... he is cute, mischievous, smart, and naughty. There is no grim reaper with memory loss..

and so on... i can list so many things already. But comparison is so unnecessary because it's totally two different dramas. 

• Like 10