[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Not sure if this was shared before. Actor Song Jin Woo, who played as the Japanese translator, also seems to have Mr. Sunshine withdrawal and made a hilarious parody. :lol::lol::lol: 

Song Jin Woo as Eugene Choi

Yoo Se Yoon as Mori Takashi

More clips are in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, SeReNiTy said:

There's so many memorable characters, so it's really hard to pick a favorite from the leads to supporting characters. :sweatingbullets: However, Hee Sung is high on my list, and I really enjoyed his character development. I was annoyed with his character in the beginning but I grew to like him more as the series progressed. :heart: BYH did an excellent job in bringing out HS's charms and character to life.

I agree :D I went through the same process as u did. 

Not that any of the other characters  had lesser impact because they were just as wonderful. They really made a beautiful drama that is going to be hard to forget. 

5 hours ago, SeReNiTy said:

I didn't know common law marriage was even a practice in Korea at that time, since they still seemed so traditional (as portrayed by the strong emphasis by Grandpa Go and Hee Sung's parents about marriage).

I am guessing maybe noble families had a more traditional practice compared to the common folks. I wonder why they didn't practice recording marriage unions when they had records of land property and such. 

In any case, it has been a learning experience for me watching this drama. Learned a bit more about Korean history and culture. Having social media and forum commenters helped a lot too. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known about the significance of Eugene putting shoes on AeShin or Eugene cutting off his hair when he was a young lad and so on. 

• Like 4

Thanks to the highlight at PlanetBH0712

Korean articles (titles using Google translate, please feel free to correct)

McKenzie, journalist who delved into Korean justice

Details of national history book reenacted in Mr.Sunshine

Fighters of 1907, remembered in 2018 drama

Restored in a love story, heartfelt tribute to an era

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

THE TRAGEDY OF KOREA

by McKenzie, Frederick Arthur, 1869-1931

Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/tragedyofkorea00mckeuoft/page/n0

p3.jpg

Spoiler

p4.jpg

Spoiler

p5.jpg

Spoiler

p6.jpg

Spoiler

p7.jpg

Spoiler

p8.jpg

Spoiler

p9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Eugene’s character should not die in this scenario! I consider this to be a mistake from several points, of which the love story is not the most important. Although very unreal and inconsistent, they have not even kissed :)

In my opinion, the accumulation of sadness is too big. The sad beginning of Eugene's history, the sad beginning of the Ae-sin story. A difficult life, then a difficult love and all the time in the background, the sad history of Joseon itself generates a lot of sadness. The crowning of this death by Eugene in a single act of saving Ae-sin is a great waste of accumulated good energy from him. Significantly more pronounced drama would be gained, if Eugene of Ae-sin became the leaders of the guerrillas and led them in the fight for freedom. In this way, viewers would heart and patriotic and love hearts. Giving hope, and not killing it, is a more powerful way of communication.

I watch the reactions of viewers on the internet and I see a big problem, because the hardest episodes of the last episodes are hard to tolerate even the most mentally strong, and what about those who have a tendency to depression? I fear to think. The more so because the drama is beautifully made and has great influence on emotions. Very much. Acting, especially Lee Byung Hun’s, is masterful! He is touching hearts very much. I am very impressed with his playing on the drama, but I have a distance to art. I separate it from real life. Meanwhile, many people can not do it, so the death of his character is a real tragedy for them and can give them depression. Really.

I'm very sorry that such a beautiful scenario, excellent actors' performance, magical pictures and music and work of many people was wasted by the wrong ending. I do not understand it completely!

A screenwriter should to write and record an alternative ending and show the more lucky fates of the characters. The film Krzysztof Kieślowski "Blind Chance" can be used as a model, where the characters' fates have several variants depending on one accidental event.

BTW. I came up with a new nickname for Lee Byung Hun: Master Sunshine! :)895668759941480448

If anybody knows e-mail to Kim Eun Sook? :)

xlarge

Edited by 3po3
  • Like 7

Hello @3po3, welcome to MR.SUNSHINE soompi! Love your red pinwheel icon. It really won't be easy to let go of this drama indeed. The not just sad but super-sad ending actually makes it much harder. Boo-hoo! :(

We might not agree (probably never ever :P ) with the ending of MR. SUNSHINE but it will never be the same without Lee Byung Hun as Eugene Choi. KES may not have made the 100% best decision with the ending but she certainly picked the best MASTER SUNSHINE.

Not sure what's her agency but maybe you can try tweeting KES :) her last post was in June..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rubie said:

Hello @3po3, welcome to MR.SUNSHINE soompi! Love your red pinwheel icon. It really won't be easy to let go of this drama indeed. The not just sad but super-sad ending actually makes it much harder. Boo-hoo! :(

We might not agree (probably never ever :P ) with the ending of MR. SUNSHINE but it will never be the same without Lee Byung Hun as Eugene Choi. KES may not have made the 100% best decision with the ending but she certainly picked the best MASTER SUNSHINE.

Not sure what's her agency but maybe you can try tweeting KES :) her last post was in June..

Thank you @rubie for the welcome and answer :)

Do you know why the translator shows me that in Korean "Mister Sunshine" and "Master Sunshine" are explained identically?

Do they mean the same in Korean?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)

5 minutes ago, 3po3 said:

Thank you @rubie for the welcome and answer :)

Do you know why the translator shows me that in Korean "Mister Sunshine" and "Master Sunshine" are explained identically?

Do they mean the same in Korean?

I'm not sure.. I don't think they're the same but maybe it means the same in Korean. We definitely need help here. :unsure:

• Like 2

The pre-order of Mr. Sunshine Director's Cut DVD/Bluray will be commenced soon. 

The director will reedit each episode with some previously cut scenes. 

I recommend Sunshiner to get it. I will keep it and only watch until ep 18 and then skip to ep 21. hahaha

Also im curious how the director gonna reedit the last episode, maybe more EuShin moments? 

Irregardless of the ending, this drama is masterpiece that has touched our soul without us knowing.  The pre-order will commence in 10/10/18. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Posting related excerpt from full article at Yonhapnews

October 7, 2018

Ryuichi Sakamoto debuts in world of animated films with 'My Tyrano'

It was the celebrated composer's first trip to Busan.

Asked how he felt about the visit, Sakamoto said: "I didn't think it would be such a big city. I was surprised that it was a really modern city and that the Busan Film Festival's red carpet was long."

He also spoke about his fondness for Korean films.

"I like Korean movies a lot, and I was thrilled to see the actors I've seen in the movies sitting in the same row as me at the opening ceremony," he added. "But I'm very sorry that my favorite Korean actress Kim Tae-ri didn't come," he said, referring to the lead actress of the popular Korean TV drama "Mr. Sunshine."

After the press conference, Sakamoto, who was named the 2018 Asian Filmmaker of the Year by the festival, participated in a hand-printing event.

th_keyboard.gif

Credit: Chungmuro Crumb

KTR on her way to New York today. I think I saw some comments on twitter mentioning that Ae Shin is finally going to see Eugene. ^_^

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

11 hours ago, 3po3 said:

I watch the reactions of viewers on the internet and I see a big problem, because the hardest episodes of the last episodes are hard to tolerate even the most mentally strong, and what about those who have a tendency to depression? I fear to think. The more so because the drama is beautifully made and has great influence on emotions. Very much. 

I do not know the full extent of effect on each one. Some comments have been positive and some have accepted the sad ending. Overall, it was taken as a positive effect. Being sad about the ending is a natural reaction. However as u say, some of us are also able to separate art or fiction from real life. And some may not. 

I must point out, if you do know of people who are still adversely affected after a period of time, please ensure that they seek professional help! 

This was a powerful drama that tugs on the emotions and some may have difficulty getting over such a tragic ending. We all have different ways to cope. Personally, I think it helps if we focus on the positive aspect of the drama instead of the negative. We need to look on the positive message. Death is a reality in our lives. We may go through different stages such as denial, anger, blaming, etc at the end of the day, we have to accept it for what it is. The human spirit is resilient and I believe we will rise through the sad moments as we have proven in the past. 

Others have also mentioned about getting into another drama with happier plot. Or maybe spend more time with friends or family instead. I am thankful to some members who share postive feedback including BTS which for me, helps in going thru the process of "grief"

Let's continue to be more positive and encourage each other. Let's also hope Writer KES will present us with a happier drama for her next project. I think that will not be impossible, after all, her characters in Mr Sunshine did save a country :wub:

• Like 9

Regarding the production of Director Cut DVD/BLuray of Mr. Sunshine, apparently, they need to meet minimum requirement of 2500 pcs for both DVD and Bluray version in order to proceed with the production. 

The director will reedit each episode and add deleted scenes into it + unreleased scenes!! Commentary by actors while watching the compiled scenes. For eg, LBH and KTR will be commenting while watching their scenes together. NGs, more BTS +, interview with director, writers, and actors + merchandises.

THe price may be expensive, but it's worth the good. So please consider purchase it if you can afford. thanks

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, writteninthestars09 said:

@kansas424 how much is it? Do they accept overseas order? (The site is in Korean only, I think.) 

They will provide english and chinese version website for the pre-orders.

DVD costs = 220,000 W  Bluray = 352,000 W

They need 2500 order for both as minimum requirement to proceed with the production. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If not mistaken, a law professor wrote an open letter to Eugene.. it looks like a morning opinion section about Joseon back then and the current South Korean situation. Korean fans would know what this is about, the drama has been watched by the majority of Korean citizens.. not just drama fans. Anyway, there're some photos of EC as well, compiled by the fan (Julie_Korea) who highlighted this article.

The full article at Hankook Ilbo

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

They will provide english and chinese version website for the pre-orders.

DVD costs = 220,000 W  Bluray = 352,000 W

They need 2500 order for both as minimum requirement to proceed with the production. 

Thanks for the info. Wish to have a memorabilia but it is quite expensive :tears:

7 minutes ago, rubie said:

If not mistaken, a media editor (?) wrote an open letter to Eugene.. well, I think it's an editorial written about Joseon back then and the current South Korean situation.

It looks like an interesting article. Hope someone would post an English translation. 

• Like 5

Just now, writteninthestars09 said:

Thanks for the info. Wish to have a memorabilia but it is quite expensive :tears:

you can buy the DVD version, cheaper haha. 

I can guarantee that it's worth every penny given that the director is going to reedit each episodes with extra scenes. 

• Like 3