[Drama 2017] Strongest Deliveryman 최강배달꾼

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

A promising start! I like the humour and the leads. Quick question though, from someone who never reads character charts: Are the male lead and runaway rich kid oppa and dongsaeng? 

I think so. Both are suffering because of same mother

1 hour ago, stuartjmz said:

A promising start! I like the humour and the leads. Quick question though, from someone who never reads character charts: Are the male lead and runaway rich kid oppa and dongsaeng? 

i thought that too, maybe they are siblings but then i thought that would be cliche and predictable but how knows...

Strongest Deliveryman Episode 1 Meet the crazies

Everyone is crazy in this drama and I love that. I loved the episode. We got the introduction of our all four leads and the side characters, which means lots of names that I’m not good at remembering and that’s why nicknames were invented.

Our hero Choi Kang-soo (Go Kyung-pyo) is twenty-five years old and has a noodle head or is it a mop head? for some reason. He still looks mighty fine and handsome. He’s a delivery-man, and takes his job seriously, and doesn’t stay at one place for long because he’s in search of “the woman” aka his mother who destroyed his father’s life. His father’s last words for him were to be a kind man and he follows that advice and meddles in other people’s business and helps those in need. That’s how he meets the run-away from home Lee Ji-yoon (Go Won-hee).

https://mynewpersona.wordpress.com/2017/08/05/strongest-deliveryman-episode-1-meet-the-crazies/

Text Preview ep 2

Ji Yun decides to stop being a runaway and live her own independent life, and she secretly moves in with Kang Su at the restaurant. As a result, Dana gets seriously wrong ideas about Kang Su. Meanwhile, Jin Gyu gets involved in illegal road racing. After this leads to a fraught meeting with his father, he gets drunk and is about to make a desperate decision when he has a chance encounter with Dana.

If anybody's wondering what Dana means when she tells the slimeball who tries groping her as she hands out the dishes that she's not a coffee delivery girl, she's referring to one of the seamier sides of Korean life that seldom makes it into Kdrama, though it figures in Korean movies like You are my Sunshine of 2005, where Jeon Do-yeon plays such a "coffee girl", driven to prostitution to escape her abusive husband  "Coffee delivery services" in Korea are akin to "Massage Parlours" in other countries in that the women who bring the coffee, generally to hotel rooms, are actually delivering services of a different kind. It's a reminder that, below the already low-prestige occupation of food delivery, there are grimmer depths of degredation into which desperate Korean females can be forced by harsh economic realities, and that Dana in her urge to get out of "Hellish Old Korea" is very much aware of that.

Another character profile....

Lee Dana (played by Chae Su Bin)

25 years old. A beautiful female delivery rider who's full of dissatisfaction and dreams of getting out of Hellish Old Korea.  "No, thank you very much! I don't do stuff like love. I'm getting the heck out of this country!"

Lee Dana... If she just put on a few dabs of makeup, her looks would drive men crazy. But she always just applies nothing but sunlight to her face and has no use for cosmetics. Nowadays she has no interest at all in anything apart from making money. She's long since stopped caring about the strange looks people give to a woman carrying a food delivery box. She soon gave up on the innocence and shyness expected of a typical [= typical Korean!!!] twenty-five-year-old.

Why? Because she plans to leave Korea behind her soon. One day when she was twenty, she tore up her high school diploma[= abandoned any chance of going to college] because of her family's debts and went to Seoul. She came to realize that the underdogs, no matter how hard they worked, inevitably just got poorer and poorer, so she decided to quit Korea. In desperation, she became a food delivery rider to get together the cash she needed to emigrate.

One day, when the achievement of her dream was within sight, a delivery man by the name of Kang Su showed up at the Chinese restaurant where Dana works. This guy repeatedly intervenes in her life. Whenever there's a snag in her escape plan, he puts everything he's got into fixing things. Which actually starts to touch Dana's heart. She scrutinizes her feelings every day, and begins to get an ominous sense that she might be coming to love him.

"No! Get a grip, girl! If you fall in love, you're done for!."

Well, the first episode pair's over with not a single mis-step anywhere that I could see.  The prospects for this being a great drama are looking really good. The handling of mood shifts which KDrama at its best excells in is very impressive here. I love the parallelism of the two "epilogues" filling in thte backstory of how the pair came to be traveling to Seoul five years back on the same train.

Pending the subs, if anyone's not clear about the "wrong ideas" referred to in the text preview, the thing is that the women's clothes and cosmetics convince Dana that Kang Su is into cross-dressing.  But she assures him that she'll keep his "secret about the upstairs room" from everyone else -- provided, that is, that he makes her a monthly payment equal to the rental hike her landlady has just hit her with out of the blue.  He agrees, and this allows her to reset her D-Day countdown on her cellphone to where it was before her landlady upped the rental. But Kang Su assumes that the "secret" he's payiing her to keep is that there's a woman living in the room, and Dana's apparent cheerful acceptance of this giives him some wrong ideas in his turn.

@triplem and @baduy watching the second episode tonight make me wants to watch the third episode right away.  The epilogue tonight where both KS and Dana happened to be in the same coach is so meaningful.  Both brought their own unhappiness and hope to change it by making a move to Seoul.

Cr to the owner

p.s Not sure how many times have I replayed it...

30 minutes ago, triplem said:

I felt very sorry that he had to beaten like this by dad though of course I'm not condoning his actions or behaviour before this.

The scene gets better once you know the details of the dialogue. Ji Yun in the hope of making up with his father, suggests they go play a round of golf together. His father appears to think thats a good idea and goes over to his golf bag (which of course every Kdrama Chaebol Supremo keeps in his office, the same way that Chaebol daughters iand daughters-in-law  always keep a running-away suitcase in their closet) but instead of shouldering it, he extracts a single heavy iron and checks out its weight. "Oh dear!" says Ji yun. "I guess I'm going to be the ball."   That's the kind of thing I mean when I say the dialogue in this drama is really good,

8 minutes ago, baduy said:

The scene gets better once you know the details of the dialogue. Ji Yun in the hope of making up with his father, suggests they go play a round of golf together. His father appears to think thats a good idea and goes over to his golf bag (which of course every Kdrama Chaebol Supremo keeps in his office, the same way that Chaebol daughters iand daughters-in-law  always keep a running-away suitcase in their closet) but instead of shouldering it, he extracts a single heavy iron and checks out its weight. "Oh dear!" says Ji yun. "I guess I'm going to be the ball."   That's the kind of thing I mean when I say the dialogue in this drama is really good,

Although I hate his behaviour in the beginning, but at the end feel pity towards him.  It hurts too.  I'm wondering maybe this is one of the reasons (his abusive father) why he behaves as he is.  Now he owes his life to Dana.  This incident will change him for into someone better.    

The writing is so good, and so attuned to the actors' skills, that I can't resist translating part of it it as I rewatch the raw. So I might as well share some of my translation, for what it's worth...

KS comes into his upstairs room and is astonished to see it occupied by a huge white teddy, with alongside it the teddy's beaming owner.

JY:  I've become independent. Just like you told me to. Aren't I a good girl?
KS:  Have you gone crazy?
JY:  No. This moment I'm more normal I've ever been in my whole life. I've already found myself a job. Today I passed an interview and had three hours of training. At a speciality coffee shop in the neighborhood. When I get my paycheck I'll repay you for what you bought me and find myself a place to live, even if it's only a student hostel.
JS: Get out! Take all that stuff of yours and get out.
JY: Ajeosshi!
JS: I said get out! Now!
JY: If you treat me this way, I'm done for. I only left home because I relied on you.
JS: Why rely on me? That shows you don't really know me. Based on next to nothing you grab all your stuff right away and shamelessly move into a man's room without any trepidation at all.
JY: But you don't count as a man, do you?  You weren't one in my eyes when I saw you. I saw you just as a kind person, being a man or a woman didn't come into it.
KS: There are no such people. There aren't any people who are purely good.
JY: I see. I'll leave then.

[And so she deploys the waterworks, reinforced, once they're downstairs in the now closed-p resturant by strategically revealing via her passport that his initial impression of her age had been spot on, until she fooled him she was still in high school -- which is of course why she calls him Ajeosshi, as appropriate for a man supposedly seven, rather than two, years her senior. So, she argues, though he's correct that it would be very wrong to help a teenager run away from home if that was what she truly was, wouldn't he agree that helping a 23-year-old gain her overdue independence from an overbearing mother might be a truly "kindly" deed and not at all exploitative?  He switches into jondaemal, which is appropriate between two adults who, although close in age, have no previous connection, but she urges him to keep to banmal as before, but suggests that in return he should let her call him Oppa. He nearly jumps out of his skin at the thought, and of course we know why, given the distinctively contemptuous sense Dana applies to the word when she calls him Oppa (with a massive exaggeration of the "tense" .ㅃ consonant, that turns it into a violently  aspirated ㅍ that comes close to spitting in his eye) But Ji Yun, whose pronunciation of the word "oppa" was much more gentle, indeed alluring, is understandably perplexed: men usually like being called that, she ventures. But whatever, she adds, the fact that he's not susceptible to such female wiles proves what a good person he is.. ] And so she takes advantage of his speechlessness

JY: So that's all settled then. I need to get to bed early tonight. 'cos I have to start work tomorrow. Goodnight!

And she goes off to the second floor room, leaving him to resort to his makeshift sleeping arrangements in the restaurant again.  (This arrangement is of course only feasible because of the much emphasised clockwork regularity of Dana's schedule, always arriving and leaving at the same time so the unconventional sleeping and lodging arrangements can be kept from her -- until JY goes off to work leaving a pink dress on a hanger on the door handle trapped in the door and peeping out...

I could say more but i'll resume at "I'm LOVING IT!!!" 

I bet the Jung CEO and out main anatgonist more than sure is Kang Soo's Mom and Jin Yoon is his half sister...It's intresting how the greedy women wants to set up Oh Jin Gyu with her daughter to raise him to take over the business as she says her daughter isin't cut for it and it doesn't hurt at all that he comes from a very rich family...Just started but hope karma will bite her really hard and take what matters most to her,aka the money...Destroying other people hard work for her own greed is not the way...

Another "gem" of mother is Dana-h's...Calling only to get some money again from her...Not enough that she had to pay that big loan yet she still looks for her knowing she has money saved without caring she worked so hard for it...

Till now almost all the parents presented are such "gems"

I'm really loving our main duo and the Jajangmyon Squad Boss and Madam...

Episode 3 Text Preview

Dona is hospitalized, so Jin Gyu, to Kang Su's extreme annoyance, joins him to make restaurant deliveries in her place.

Hye Ran makes an absurd proposal to Ji Yun as a condition of accepting her independence.

Meanwhile, while investigating the accident that has left Hyeon Su in a coma, Kang Su comes across something strange.

Looking around to find something good to watch after the withdrawal symptoms from "Secret Forest" s ending , I have to admit I stumbled on "Strongest Deliveryman".

Was not my intention to watch it but it kept my interest.

I love heavy crime dramas ,occasionally lighter ones like SD if they are cute and give their story in a respectful way can make me their fan.

SD 's first two episodes  look very promising . I hope they keep this pace.

I feel already connected with the main leads, not yet with the second leads- I have to say- still from the preview of ep. 3 it seems that will happened very soon.

OST is great.I m not familiar with K singers but I liked the song that was on when Danah was in the train coming to Seoul.

see you all next week.

Rich boy's life is pitiful but if that boy dies then who is to blame? He doesn't care about his father, unless he calls him, and enjoys his life. Does he and his friends not know they are closing a road just for fun. I got so angry at this scene and then we were shown his father beating him and telling him to go die...was i suppose to cry here? 

Rich parents fail at parenting and on the other side we have Dana's family asking for money. Money is indeed the problem

Archived