[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

2 minutes ago, kiklaminHo said:

@maddymappo

chingu it was me who wrote

I still believe Lee Yoon Beom is not so naive...........slip of the tongue accidentally"

My writing style is very characteristic :D:D

maybe I share same thoughts with chingu ddeokbokkii.

" Great minds think alike":wink:

@kiklaminHoMy apologies, I am reading quickly, maybe you were being quoted.  VERY VERY GOOD POINT, it was a creepy moment. I will edit my comment.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, 
I'm a bit confused here. 
What makes LCJ can confidently say that he can end The Special Investigation? Yes he started it but after that SM reports directly to Prosecutor General - LCJ's out of the picture. And it's not easy to end Special Investigation just because you want it to end. 
The media and public know about it, they have learned of the progress and if it's ended, imagine the outrage from the public especially if they know who ordered the disband.

Now with LCJ getting high and high up there, it'll be interesting to see his next moves.
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" - LCJ as the Chief Secretary has the power to strike or to mend. If he is indeed dirty, then I'm scare for SM and his team. It's possible that he will use SM or anyone else as scapegoat to close the Special Investigation. 
But... if he pretends to be dirty and all meek in front of his father-in-law, and later reveal his ultimate move against LYB, then it's a twist indeed. 
:blink:

23 minutes ago, penelop3 said:

Sorry guys, 
I'm a bit confused here. 
What makes LCJ can confidently say that he can end The Special Investigation? Yes he started it but after that SM reports directly to Prosecutor General - LCJ's out of the picture. And it's not easy to end Special Investigation just because you want it to end. 
The media and public know about it, they have learned of the progress and if it's ended, imagine the outrage from the public especially if they know who ordered the disband.

Now with LCJ getting high and high up there, it'll be interesting to see his next moves.
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" - LCJ as the Chief Secretary has the power to strike or to mend. If he is indeed dirty, then I'm scare for SM and his team. It's possible that he will use SM or anyone else as scapegoat to close the Special Investigation. 
But... if he pretends to be dirty and all meek in front of his father-in-law, and later reveal his ultimate move against LYB, then it's a twist indeed. 
:blink:

Chingu @penelop3.... He is pretending to follow all his FIL's plans. As the drama progressed , Inhave seen instances where he did not do what his FIl wanted. LCJ has been using his FIL get promoted meanwhile letting him do whatever he wanted. I think LCJ has accepted bribes but I don't know to what extent the bribery was used for. I have no ide of he really has a fair with GY. Although LYB has power but I think he overestimated his SIL and think he has him doing what he is orders to do but he is so wrong. He has always been cautious and playing his part as a meek lawyer with lots flaws. 

I think that LCJ wants Si Mok to be his right hand man but he doesn't know the man and hasn't been able to read him as good or evil. Episode 9 was another test Si Mok by LCJ I think LCJ want something from SM. I have no idea what his plans are but I am very afraid and I know LCJ realllly dislikes YJ. He almost didn't even shake her hands. Someone said it was probably because of her profession but I disagree. I think he knows she is a threat to him getting his claws on him to make LCJ look very good to the public. 

I wanted to write about Yeo Jin for a while now. I think, its rare and quite refreshing to see a female cop that is not a ice cold person and has a playful, cheerful demeanor. I love her characterization as the story keeps progressing. She is capable, quick witted and has courage. And she respects personal space. I loved how she gave it back to Madam Lee. I felt insulted on her behalf when she suggested that just because she is a woman and she works closely with Shi Mok, she might be offended if he starts a romantic relationship with someone. Lady, she is a million times more professional than you can ever hope to be with that fake, scary smile of yours. What sort of bull richard simmons is that! I am glad she gave it back to her. Also, I loved how quickly she figured it out about Minah having to call to relocate their room. Her impassioned speech to her disgraced chief felt sincere and his conduct has deeply hurt her as a part of police force. 

On the surface she appears to be somebody with it all sorted out. But I don't know why I feel that her pride in her profession, integrity stems from a space of personal loss. She lives alone and rarely lets people and we barely know anything about her. She is transparent but I don't know why I feel her story might just be the most tragic of all our characters. So here's hoping we get to see her more, at least what makes her who she is. I am almost terrified that in 3 weeks we say goodbye and then who knows when Bae Doona will agree to do another drama again. 

I freely admit I feel a little worried about what is going to happen to HYJ in the following episodes. She's already on LYJ's grudge list (because of the dinner scene) plus the meeting with LYJ CANNOT be fun. Doubly so it her husband finds out which, judging by the preview of the next episode, he most certainly does. To top this off, her chief and colleagues know she was the person to move Ga Young, she is part of the team that openly moved against her Chief of Police, and she has a hand in getting the human rights suit moved against the police. The rest of the team is also face to face with several threats (especially HSM) but not on the level that HYJ is so far. Yes, I'm plenty worried. 

That said, I absolutely agree with @Nymeria289 about how deeply admirable HYJ is as an character and the fact that a great deal of her work ethic and general awesome-ness comes from a very personal place. We know so little about her while we know so much more about almost all the other characters. Why does she draw, for example? She calls her drawings her babies so they clearly mean a lot to her, even though she ALSO seems fully committed to her role as a police officer. Also she is the only female homicide detective so far and though we see some of her ongoing struggles, we never see much of what happened before. 

tl;dr I have many feelings about HYJ. 

2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

I wanted to write about Yeo Jin for a while now. I think, its rare and quite refreshing to see a female cop that is not a ice cold person and has a playful, cheerful demeanor. I love her characterization as the story keeps progressing. She is capable, quick witted and has courage. And she respects personal space. I loved how she gave it back to Madam Lee. I felt insulted on her behalf when she suggested that just because she is a woman and she works closely with Shi Mok, she might be offended if he starts a romantic relationship with someone. Lady, she is a million times more professional than you can ever hope to be with that fake, scary smile of yours. What sort of bull richard simmons is that! I am glad she gave it back to her. Also, I loved how quickly she figured it out about Minah having to call to relocate their room. Her impassioned speech to her disgraced chief felt sincere and his conduct has deeply hurt her as a part of police force. 

On the surface she appears to be somebody with it all sorted out. But I don't know why I feel that her pride in her profession, integrity stems from a space of personal loss. She lives alone and rarely lets people and we barely know anything about her. She is transparent but I don't know why I feel her story might just be the most tragic of all our characters. So here's hoping we get to see her more, at least what makes her who she is. I am almost terrified that in 3 weeks we say goodbye and then who knows when Bae Doona will agree to do another drama again. 

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this thread, but feel compelled to post an observation about Bae Doo-na's character that has me rattled and segues from your post, @Nymeria289:

Spoiler

We know absolutely nothing about Han Yeo-jin. As much as I love her as a character - for her passion, integrity, and ability to charm the socks off of Hwang Shi-mok - as you have written so well @Nymeria289 - she has no backstory, in a drama filled with backstories. Everyone else has a mother (and often a father) mentioned, except she. Every other major character has already had their connections and their history at least touched upon. Except she. Even more worrisome, Hwang Shi-mok trusts her enough to not perform a background check on her. He thinks the need to do so is nonexistent.

Fellow fans of this show, I fear we're screwed. I fear that the most endearing and upright character in the drama may, in fact, be our culprit. I want to be wrong; I dearly pray that I am. But this writer is so good that such a plot twist is not beyond the realm of possibility. I'm going to bury my head under my pillow now, and try not to focus on the clue that Han Yeo-jin might have given to Hwang Shi-mok: She thinks that the culprit must be someone who was terribly wronged by the bribery, someone with a grudge against Park Moo-sung and the prosecutors connected to him. With no backstory, she could easily be this person. Even Hwang Shi-mok thinks someone is manipulating him to his or her ends. Who better to pull his strings than the person next to him on a daily basis? 

I want to be wrong. I really, really do.

but ep confirmed that it was indeed LCJ who had an affair with that underage kid.. when the chief of police sent that video to if with the note that should i tell them who really was in that room?

And the wife... she ain't stupid... she can't get confused over such things... if she means to kill the girl, then she has made sure that her husband was sleeping with that girl

16 minutes ago, sublimelyheureuse said:

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this thread, and feel compelled to post an observation about Bae Doo-na's character that has me rattled and segues from your post, @Nymeria289:

Hide contents

We know absolutely nothing about Han Yeo-jin. As much as I love her as a character - for her passion, integrity, and ability to charm the socks off of Hwang Shi-mok - as you have written so well @Nymeria289 - she has no backstory, in a drama filled with backstories. Everyone else has a mother (and often a father) mentioned, except she. Every other major character has already had their connections and their history at least touched upon. Except she. Even more worrisome, Hwang Shi-mok trusts her enough to not perform a background check on her. He thinks the need to do so is nonexistent.

Fellow fans of this show, I fear we're screwed. I fear that the most endearing and upright character in the show may, in fact, be our culprit. I want to be wrong; I dearly pray that I am. But this writer is so good that such a plot twist is not beyond the realm of possibility. I'm going to bury my head under my pillow now, and try not to focus on the clue that Han Yeo-jin might have given to Hwang Shi-mok: She thinks that the culprit must be someone who was terribly wronged by the bribery, someone with a grudge against Park Moo-sung and the prosecutors connected to him. With no backstory, she could easily be this person. Even Hwang Shi-mok thinks someone is manipulating him to his or her ends. Who better to pull his strings than the person next to him on a daily basis? 

possible,

specially since we have seen how she fakes true emotions so well and handles office politics as well..

How she helps SM and then the way she replies her seniors...in earlier episodes... trying to appease anyone's concern and making all feel that she is on their side..

POSSIBLE.. but then ..

wait i forgot. how did she first came on the case? was she always there.. is it her jurisdiction? was she given the case of PM's death in his house?

@sublimelyheureuse Welcome on board. I would be lying if I say that your theory about Yeo Jin hasn't crossed my mind. It has on multiple occasions. It'd be too obvious of a trick for this show. So far, the writers seem to try to avoid hackneyed plot devices. Which is why I am hoping that it will not come true. Also, Shi Mok has one ally that he can trust, I would hate it if he looses his only true friend/partner.

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

but ep confirmed that it was indeed LCJ who had an affair with that underage kid.. when the chief of police sent that video to if with the note that should i tell them who really was in that room?

And the wife... she ain't stupid... she can't get confused over such things... if she means to kill the girl, then she has made sure that her husband was sleeping with that girl

possible,

specially since we have seen how she fakes true emotions so well and handles office politics as well..

How she helps SM and then the way she replies her seniors...in earlier episodes... trying to appease anyone's concern and making all feel that she is on their side..

POSSIBLE.. but then ..

wait i forgot. how did she first came on the case? was she always there.. is it her jurisdiction? was she given the case of PM's death in his house?

@enigmatic_zephyMaybe GY did not have a sex scene with LCJ, maybe she went to give him information. Maybe LCJ has learned something about wifey too, and her Dad through Park Moo Sung

10 hours ago, kawaiibooty said:

And your scenario is actually PERFECT!  Oh my god, I can literally picture a scene where she would avoid eye contact and deliberately use an uninterested tone to tell him that he has no reason to contact her anymore and he would reply that he actually does, in a very serious manner, calmly, with that beautiful voice of his. *screaming* Somebody needs to write the fanfic!!!

I am already thinking of writing a Shi Mok-Yeo Jin fanfic.:D

9 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I don't know what he is up to. I hate his creepy eyes on Yeo Jin and his creepy smile toward her. 

Me too. He should stay away from our Yeo Jin-a.:crazy:

3 hours ago, plappi said:

Finally! Thank you, dear popgasa! 

Lyrics OST is out! Here https://popgasa.com/category/secret-forest-ost/

Thank you for the link, I was waiting for the translated lyrics.:heart:

The lyrics are absolutely gorgeous, they make the song sound even better.:wub:

Just lovely!!! I am going to cry!:bawling:

3 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Your words made me tear up. So beautifully written!:bawling:

Thank you for this lovely article. I too believe that Yeo-jin had a tragic backstory. I hope the writers reveal it as soon as possible. I can't want to learn more about her family background.

1 hour ago, sublimelyheureuse said:

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this thread, but feel compelled to post an observation about Bae Doo-na's character that has me rattled and segues from your post, @Nymeria289:

Hide contents

Fellow fans of this show, I fear we're screwed. I fear that the most endearing and upright character in the drama may, in fact, be our culprit. I want to be wrong; I dearly pray that I am. But this writer is so good that such a plot twist is not beyond the realm of possibility. I'm going to bury my head under my pillow now, and try not to focus on the clue that Han Yeo-jin might have given to Hwang Shi-mok: She thinks that the culprit must be someone who was terribly wronged by the bribery, someone with a grudge against Park Moo-sung and the prosecutors connected to him. With no backstory, she could easily be this person. Even Hwang Shi-mok thinks someone is manipulating him to his or her ends. Who better to pull his strings than the person next to him on a daily basis? 

Welcome to the thread chingu.:wub:

I hope that the writer doesn't do this to us and Shi-mok. I still don't think that Yeo-jin is a bad character. I refuse to believe it. But it all depends on the author-nim, she may eff us all in the end.:(

1 hour ago, Nymeria289 said:

@sublimelyheureuse Welcome on board. I would be lying if I say that your theory about Yeo Jin hasn't crossed my mind. It has on multiple occasions. It'd be too obvious of a trick for this show. So far, the writers seem to try to avoid hackneyed plot devices. Which is why I am hoping that it will not come true. Also, Shi Mok has one ally that he can trust, I would hate it if he looses his only true friend/partner.

So true. I want them both to stay buddies (for life). I hope the writer doesn't shatter our hopes and dreams in the end.:(

I know I have said it before but I would like to say it again, I feel so lucky that we have Secret Forest to watch, analyse, dissect, squeal, and more. And this wonderful forum to clear my doubts, understand the show better, share likes and dislikes, agreements and disagreements, fears and happiness! Thank you chingus!:heart:

The `Last Supper' scene in ep 9 was so entertaining. Yeo Jin's reply to Lee Yoon Jae when asked if she was ok if she (LYJ) were to introduce pretty girls to SM was excellent. `I like pretty girls too'..LOL. The look on LYJ's face! And then to counter LYJ when she talked about women being other women's biggest enemies. Another score for Yeo Jin! I also like it that the whole team waited for SM's move before sitting down to dinner. Applause to HSM for excusing himself and his team after Chairman Lee stopped by briefly. 

Kudos to HSM for improving on his social skills. He acknowledged and smiled slightly at Yoon when Yoon told him that he had bought bread for everyone. When Eun Soo's mother touched his hand to thank him after their interview, he did not flinch away and even gave her a slight assuring smile.

I was enjoying YJ ignoring SM during the bread eating scene and laughing at SM who knew something was wrong and how he sighed when YJ left the office. When he was able to clear any misunderstanding with Yeo Jin who had messaged him out, `Can You Trust Me? Is someone digging intel on me?', he replied `That won't happen because there is no need'. She gave him a forgiving slap on his arm and left, and he smiled with relief.

In ep 10, it was so interesting to see Chief Kang, Seo Dong Jae and Shi Mok sharing information and discussing the case! SDJ marketed his `deviousness' as a strength to help SM, telling SM that he was too straightforward. Haha. (I don't trust SDJ). YJ's scene with Police Chief Kim and her plea for him to admit his guilt for the sake of the police force and his subordinates was so painfully heart-felt. In ep 10, we see a solemn Yeo Jin as she realised that LYJ had tried to harm Ga Young in hospital and that her Big Boss (Chief Kim) was the one that GY met on Mondays on her off days. Finally we get to see a happier Eun Soo when her father's name was cleared and how she smiled so happily at her father.  The staring contests between SM and LCJ, and between HYJ and LYJ - we are going to have a very exciting episodes 11 and 12 next week!

7 minutes ago, ross27 said:

1. I know I have said it before but I would like to say it again, I feel so lucky that we have Secret Forest to watch, analyse, dissect, squeal, and more. And this wonderful forum to clear my doubts, understand the show better, share likes and dislikes, agreements and disagreements, fears and happiness! Thank you chingus!:heart:

2. The `Last Supper' scene in ep 9 was so entertaining. Yeo Jin's reply to Lee Yoon Jae when asked if she was ok if she (LYJ) were to introduce pretty girls to SM was excellent. `I like pretty girls too'..LOL. The look on LYJ's face! And then to counter LYJ when she talked about women being other women's biggest enemies. Another score for Yeo Jin! I also like it that the whole team waited for SM's move before sitting down to dinner. Applause to HSM for excusing himself and his team after Chairman Lee stopped by briefly. 

3. Kudos to HSM for improving on his social skills. He acknowledged and smiled slightly at Yoon when Yoon told him that he had bought bread for everyone. When Eun Soo's mother touched his hand to thank him after their interview, he did not flinch away and even gave her a slight assuring smile.

4. I was enjoying YJ ignoring SM during the bread eating scene and laughing at SM who knew something was wrong and how he sighed when YJ left the office. When he was able to clear any misunderstanding with Yeo Jin who had messaged him out, `Can You Trust Me? Is someone digging intel on me?', he replied `That won't happen because there is no need'. She gave him a forgiving slap on his arm and left, and he smiled with relief.

5. In ep 10, it was so interesting to see Chief Kang, Seo Dong Jae and Shi Mok sharing information and discussing the case! SDJ marketed his `deviousness' as a strength to help SM, telling SM that he was too straightforward. Haha. (I don't trust SDJ). YJ's scene with Police Chief Kim and her plea for him to admit his guilt for the sake of the police force and his subordinates was so painfully heart-felt. In ep 10, we see a solemn Yeo Jin as she realised that LYJ had tried to harm Ga Young in hospital and that her Big Boss (Chief Kim) was the one that GY met on Mondays on her off days. Finally we get to see a happier Eun Soo when her father's name was cleared and how she smiled so happily at her father.  The staring contests between SM and LCJ, and between HYJ and LYJ - we are going to have a very exciting episodes 11 and 12 next week!

1. Well-said chingu-a. I love this forum. This brilliant drama brought us all together and it's so much fun to read everyone's POV here.:wub:

2. That's why I love Yeo-jin. She's so strong and she's not afraid of any one (not even her higher ups, even though she respects them a lot). And Shi-mok's team totally following him in that scene was gold. Hahahaha take that evildoers!!!:D

3. He's becoming more human with each passing episode. I love his teeny tiny facial expressions.:heart:

4. That companionship slap on the arm was such a good move by the writer. It really solidified the bond of trust amongst them both. And Shi-mok looked like a lost puppy when Yeo-jin ignored him. I laughed my a** off while watching that scene.:lol:

5. Dong-jae is such a funny, sly fox. I love him for his cunning stupidity.:D

When Yeo-jin cried after the interrogation of Chief Kim, I cried alongside her. That scene was the highlight of this entire episode. It was just written spectacularly. Kudos to author-nim!!!:wub:

I am so looking forward to the staring contests next week. I know for sure that Shi-mok and Yeo-jin will come out victorious in the end.:)

23 minutes ago, ross27 said:

In ep 10, it was so interesting to see Chief Kang, Seo Dong Jae and Shi Mok sharing information and discussing the case! SDJ marketed his `deviousness' as a strength to help SM, telling SM that he was too straightforward. Haha. (I don't trust SDJ). YJ's scene with Police Chief Kim and her plea for him to admit his guilt for the sake of the police force and his subordinates was so painfully heart-felt. In ep 10, we see a solemn Yeo Jin as she realised that LYJ had tried to harm Ga Young in hospital and that her Big Boss (Chief Kim) was the one that GY met on Mondays on her off days. Finally we get to see a happier Eun Soo when her father's name was cleared and how she smiled so happily at her father.  The staring contests between SM and LCJ, and between HYJ and LYJ - we are going to have a very exciting episodes 11 and 12 next week!

Dong Jae is one of the slimiest guy I've come across in drama-land. But Chief Kang and Dong Jae casually trading insults and jibes while sharing in-tel was extremely fun to watch. I like how alliances have shifted since Lee Chang Joon left the prosecutors office to pursue bigger dreams. He has Lee Yoon Beom and perhaps Blue house but he has essentially alienated himself by his own choice. I can't decide what Lee Chang Joon is planning. If Kang and Dong Jae's account is somewhat close to the reality then, he basically was trapped into giving CEO Park unrestricted access to Prosecutors office and to do that he had to unwillingly remove Young Il Jae from his position as minister of Justice. He was like a son to him. How long will a guy like him who was trained by somebody like Il Jae will be happy with a leash tied to him. He doesn't share everything with Yoon Beom so perhaps he has his own plan. But I do feel his feelings for his wife is sincere and he'd try to protect her at all costs. So whatever happened 3 years ago was done by Yoon Beom but the murder of Park was done by somebody who was directly affected by whatever Park and co. did during the 3 years time-span. Ga-Young, I feel like he is the same assailant and at the same time he has some sort of ties to Yeon Jae. Maybe, she treated him like a contract killer but he had hidden agenda she doesn't know about. I also felt relieved to see Eun Soo smiling. She was happy to have finally restored her father's honor. I hope this marks end of her reckless behavior. About the last part, I honestly believe Chang Joon has zero intention of stopping Shi Mok, he knew exactly what he signed up for the moment he announced his name. He is too clever to think otherwise.

3 hours ago, sublimelyheureuse said:

Hide contents

Oh man, I hadn't considered this but now I am. I really, REALLY don't want this to be true (though from a story telling perspective, what a marvelous twist - for the Watson to be the Moriarty.) I also remember the bit when HSM asks HYJ ; "You are the culprit, aren;'t you?" and I literally shiver because it was just... played off?

The only thing that is stopping me right now is that I still can't bring myself to see HYJ as a person who could hurt a person like Ga Young that badly - though with this writer, there is no way of telling. It's entirely possible that HYJ's character is completely different to what we've seen it to be. It could be she is also cold and calculating, who in her pursuit of justice, has thought that the end justifies the means, the very OPPOSITE of the person presented to us. But I don't think so. Or at least, I hope so. 

But as you've stated, in a show of backstories, she has none. All we've got for her is for her actions to speak for themselves.  For now, I'm going to keep faith in her. 

Sorry, randomly posting again but this was really bothering me :tongue: Regarding the HYJ = culprit theory, the reason I don't think its true that it doesn't provide a narrative purpose in the story apart from a gut punch to the audience. The gut punch to the audience thing would work if this was primarily a murder mystery, but its actually not. Its a political thriller with a side of murder mystery. So narratively speaking, it doesn't achieve much really unless they reveal something drastically important in HYJ's backstory in the next few episodes (which isn't entirely out of the picture) 

Archived