[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

26 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

I can't get over with the "fried chicken" scenes. Habaek's expression was sooooooo cute. 

Reveal hidden contents

Haha...I remember during WFKBJ, I had to go out one early morning to buy a bucket of fried chicken because I was so tempted and craved after watching BJ and her friends feisted on chicken at his father's chicken outlet.

Watching this gifs is torturous! 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked the scene where the student Soo Ah was drowning, the music playing in the background, and her calling to her dad for help and regretting what she did. That scene was emotional and sad, and I liked her acting there and it showed that she can act bc I was doubting her before. I'm excited to see Moo Ra and the voices Soo Ah hears. Bride of the Water God fighting!!

1 hour ago, amisyka77 said:

My theory is the Shin's used to be the God's servant but something happened that make them lost the entitlement (not sure if this is the right word). Maybe we will know more when Habaek interacts with the Shin and the reason why they were no longer being servants.

As for Shin HooYe, i remembered in the parking lot scene, that Shin Jaya was being rude to him and said something like ' even if your name is in the registry, it doesn't mean you are family'. Could it be Hoo Ye was adopted into Shin's family? Does he has anything to do with God of the Earth - Joo Do ? He is one of the mysterious character that we still haven't any clue about besides that he is supposed to be 100% human and has taken an interest in SoAh.

I agree. The mission of finding the stones is also an indirect way to make Habaek learns about life. He has never been in human realm but thinks he knows everything. He has no ideas what awaits him and I can't wait to see him being lovestruck or lovesick.

Unlike the other characters,so little information is given about him.Even if there is an information about him,it's an implied information.For example the high priest mentioned about Habaek's servant being a woman and not from Shin family.Then later on,we see that Hooye is from Shin family.I think the only information that we know for sure is that he's some kind of like chaebol or businessman.I really look forward to knowing more about him.

Same!:D I can't wait to see him follow her around not because she is his servant and he has to rely on her in the human world.It'll be interesting to see him change because of So Ah.And I would like to see how So Ah will change in the future too.

1 hour ago, amisyka77 said:

Haha...I remember during WFKBJ, I had to go out one early morning to buy a bucket of fried chicken because I was so tempted and craved after watching BJ and her friends feisted on chicken at his father's chicken outlet.

:lol: There's so many references/similarities when we compare BotWG with other dramas! Chicken can be linked to WFKBJ. Upcoming scene where Habaek is in green jumpsuit looks like it came from rooftop prince.Anyone can spot and name anymore references?

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

For Moo Ra and Bi Ryeom, they might consider themselves superior to humans because they see how the humans are polluting the environment. Don't forget that the guardian gods are in the human world to look after the environment. But during the two episodes, Nam Soo Ri mentioned to Ha Baek that the environment had so much changed in the last 10 years. When he went to the pear fields in order to retrieve his gold, the pear field had been replaced by buildings. This scene was important and not just funny. So this was an indication about the destruction of nature (massive urbanisation). So my theory is that Moo Ra and Bi Ryeom who have spent so many years among the humans have a different perception of humans than Ha Baek. The latter was totally indifferent about humans. What the guardian gods (BY and MR) are forgetting is that they are measuring the humans by the same yardstick

Exactly! 

Moora and Biryeom seems like they've been losing their "purpose" as guardians of the human world. They are sent to the human world in order to protect nature, but they seem to have lose their spirit as guardians and decided to forget about their obligations. from the preview for ep 3, Moora was talking to Biryeom about how they're both "accomplices" regarding the stones that Habaek must collect. and by the tone of that convo, it didn't sound good...like they've both done something BAD to it.

everyone is throwing in good points so far. I totally agree about the Shin clan, that they must have done something terrible to the gods to lose their favor. however, their lives are a complete reversal of fortune in the human world; as we see that the Shin are wealthy people, whereas when Habaek came to the human world, he has nothing but his clothes on him.

1 hour ago, LadyIgraine said:

Everyone is throwing in good points so far. I totally agree about the Shin clan, that they must have done something terrible to the gods to lose their favor. however, their lives are a complete reversal of fortune in the human world; as we see that the Shin are wealthy people, whereas when Habaek came to the human world, he has nothing but his clothes on him.

I love how you have pointed out this fact! I didn't realise it until you phrase the theme in this way. It makes me wonder whether So Ah would have an extremely lavish and wonderful life in the Realm of the Gods since her life is pretty sad in the human world right now.

A new article from Soompi!

https://www.soompi.com/2017/07/06/first-impressions-bride-water-god-full-package-strong-chemistry-gorgeous-aesthetics/

First Impressions: “Bride Of The Water God” Is The Full Package With Strong Chemistry + Gorgeous Aesthetics 2017-07-06 19:00:39 2017-07-06 20:23:23

Bride-of-the-Water-God.png
Display.Sharethrough.Soompi.1x1

Bride of the Water God” just premiered this week, with a strong start in every possible genre: fantasy, comedy, and romance. Starring Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung as the main leads, the drama is a full package; and with the gorgeous aesthetics used to depict its mystical world, “Bride of the Water God” becomes a must-watch.

Main characters

Habaek (played by Nam Joo Hyuk)

Soompi.Display.News.English.300x250.BTF Soompi.Mobile.English.300x250.ATF

Bride-of-the-Water-God-Nam-Joo-Hyuk.jpg

Our hero is Habaek, as he will tell you (quite a number of times): “I am the Water God, the future King of the Water Kingdom, the future emperor of the divine realm: Habaek!” Habaek certainly fits the personality you might expect of a god and a king: his lofty way of speaking and expectations that people will jump when he snaps his fingers suggests that perhaps he has a lot to learn in the human world.

However, Habaek’s ego seems to hide a softer, kinder side. Even in the first few episodes, we see him beginning to genuinely care for Soo Ah, our heroine, and his dismissive treatment of those around him seems less because of malice and more due to absentmindedness from a lot of introspective pondering. The result is that when Habaek does jump in to save the day – well, he handles it with the air of a god, and it’s pretty swoon-worthy. He’s not your snobby chaebol lead; Habaek is someone you’ll definitely be rooting for in the next few episodes.

Habaek-2.png

Spoiler

Soo Ah (played by Shin Se Kyung)

Bride-of-the-Water-God-Shin-Se-Kyung.jpg

Soo Ah is the heroine in this drama. She’s a pretty psychologist with a traumatic past, and her kindness and habit of helping others often interrupts her tough pragmatism. She also has no idea that she is Habaek’s destined human servant, due to a promise from her ancestor generations ago.

When Habaek approaches her for help, she assumes he’s mentally ill (leading to a number of comedic situations), and although swayed by his handsomeness, she has no intention of acting as his servant. Both Habaek and Soo Ah’s frustration at the other, coupled with their attraction towards each other, establishes a push-and-pull relationship that is adorably cute to watch.

Habaek-Hug-2.png

Habaek’s deer-in-the-headlights reaction to Soo Ah’s hug

Plot

According to the monks, there are three kingdoms beyond the human world: Water, Earth, and Air. The kings of these lands are forces of nature fated to rule, and over all of them, the Water King presides as the divine emperor. Habaek is one such water god, and the time has come for him to take the seat of power as king. However, he must fulfill one traditional task before his coronation: find three stones, held by the other god rulers somewhere in the human world, which form a royal seal.

Habaek considers this an easy and distasteful task, and takes his servant along with him as an extra guide in the human world (which he is wholly unfamiliar with). However, the situation takes a turn for the worse when a strange disaster causes Habaek to lose the map of the stones and his abilities as a god. The only god-like power he has left is his unnaturally quick aptitude for learning new things (such as driving or skateboarding). Habaek’s goal now is to find a way to convince Soo Ah to help him while blindly searching for the other gods and stones in such an unfamiliar world.

Final thoughts

bride-of-watergod.jpg

I always love K-dramas with characters who have strong convictions and good hearts; it’s easy to tell from the first and second episode that the majority of our characters in “Bride of the Water God” have these strong traits. Habaek and Soo Ah are easy to root for, and I already find myself beginning to care for them. This may come back to haunt me later on when all the strife and disaster hits, but for now it creates a compelling watch. I even find myself invested in and liking other characters, too, such as Namsuri (Park Kyu Sun), Habaek’s devoted servant; and Hu Ye (Im Joo Hwan), a CEO who we will supposedly learn in the future is a half-god. I’m also looking forward to meeting the other gods, including Bi Ryum (Gong Myung), who (judging from the previews) seems to have a playful and sweet personality that I often like in male leads – similar to Eun Hyuk in “Suspicious Partner.”

I expected “Bride of the Water God” to be a strong fantasy drama, like “Goblin” or “The Legend of the Blue Sea,” but it’s much more than that. Habaek’s unfamiliarity of the human world creates a strong comedic undertone, and Namsuri’s lack of useful help only adds to it. The chemistry between Habaek and Soo Ah is strong, so fans of romance will have a lot to look out for in this drama.

My only complaint is that I want to see more of the powerful world that apparently underlies the human world – such as the other hidden gods and Habaek’s powers. While watching him meditate in a blow-up pool toy castle is fun, I want to see some of the really cool things Habaek can do. We’ve gotten some tantalizing teasers on that for the future; for example, Habaek’s failed attempt to give Soo Ah a divine blessing seems to have possibly resulted in some mind-reading abilities. In the meantime, however, I’ll be holding out for such a cool show.

All in all, Habaek is a unique drama with an unexpected storyline that you probably won’t be able to predict. The storyline is beautiful, the depictions of the magical world are gorgeous, and the faces of this drama are pretty, too. If you’re looking for a new K-drama to contribute to your growing addictions, then this one is definitely it.

Bride-of-the-Water-God_Divine-Blessing-M

Silent reader here. 

I' am glade that all the conversions so far have been friendly and fulls of insights

i have never read the novel which this show is inspired by and I am not planning to do so. One thing that I have noticed that also deviated from the source material is the "bride" part. In the novel Soah meet Habaek when she was sent to be his bride in order to save the village from  drought (I'm basing this from Wikipedia). Here in the drama she is introduced not has his bride but as a servant/guardian who is to help him to find the other gods and also to complete his mission. By takin the "bride" part out and only leave the servant part where unlike in the novel, So ah does not know nor believe that Baek is a god because he look just like any human. This along with th e temporary lack of Habaek power is allowing the two of them to get to know each other better as persons and not because of the their social status. And even if his power come back by next week, she would only recognized him as her god and not her husband which means that when she finally become his wife, it will  be after they gotten to know each other well and possibly in love as well.

I came into this show with low expectations and so far I enjoyed the first two episodes and I felt that everybody did a great job. I have re-watch the episodes at least five times now and I can't wait for Monday to come. I also like that the two main leads have wonderful chemistry and that their character are very interesting. NJH has Ha Baek is doing a wonderful job as a narcissistic god with a hidden soft heart. I also like that he is not mean, condescending, or cold like the most of the male leads in K-dramas. It also help that he's  handsome and  really look good in suit. 

Before the drama started I was worrying that So ah would be the cliche candy girls who are always extra nice and accept everything with positive attitude. But I' am happy that the writer made her a realist who sees things for what they are and does not sugar coat them. I like that she hate that her family left her in debt and recognizes that she need both money and happiness. She's very blunt and honest which is another plus and tell just the way she sees it. I hope that she will continue to be the like that. I also like that she has been shown to be very independent, knows where her priorities lies, she knows (even if it might not be the right choice) what she want in life and the type of life that she wished and want to live (the small paradise island with no worries and just pure bliss), and she also don't take crap from others. And most importantly she is not really poor because she have a beautiful house, the hospital where she work is owned by her family, and she also have a land. All she has to do is pay those loans and she will practically be a middle class person.

11 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

I don't think it has anything spiritual explanation. Just the funny way the writer is trying to show what a mess she was in when Habaek kissed her that she had to go a great length (in her mind)  to stop a bell of revealation from ringing.

i think bc it is a fantasy , and fate is mention repeatedly, and he is a god, it has to have some spirituality as in fantasy. i understood tat it was to stop  her feeloigs but i wondered about the bell since the leading to it was very pretty fantasy like. so it felt like it supposed to mean something more than just hearing bells while kissing. at least to me. and i was just surprised to learn that in both cultures bells have the same significance  regardless of the drama.

about Shin in a soompi article it was mention that he is half a god?

3 hours ago, aimerance said:

Here in the drama she is introduced not has his bride but as a servant/guardian who is to help him to find the other gods and also to complete his mission. By takin the "bride" part out and only leave the servant part where unlike in the novel,

good point, thats true that she isnt introduced as a bride here, is a bride servant in the manhwa?

also being a od without powers means he cannot prove he i. he cannot demonstrate his abilities

@supergal99 thanx for translating. i saw it bf and did understand what she said, thanx

3 hours ago, nevill said:

about Shin in a soompi article it was mention that he is half a god?

I think he could be a semi-god. In a Vlive interview the casts took part, IJH mentioned HooYe is human. But we'll see later about his backstory.

2 hours ago, aimerance said:

If I'm not wrong, in the manhwa the village have to sacrifice a bride to the water god and Soah was sent to the water world as a sacrifice to be the bride of Ha Baek. 

Yes, you are right chingu.

This is one of the drama's diversions from the manhwa.

In drama version, SoAh is supposed to be just a servant to Habaek and assist him during his quest for the stoñes and his stay in humanworld. From what we were given so far, servant of Gods can be male or female so a female servants  don't automatically confer as the bride. However, at the stroke of fate, we now know Habaek is going to fall for his own female servant  (SoAh') and of course he will want to make her his bride later.

1 hour ago, supergal99 said:

:) special clip / 2 jul

On actress SSK: 

I wrote the story with SSK in mind. It is not an easy role and she is totally immersed in it.

@7.56

NJH: I am perspiring alot now. India is very hot *wink* @goldenmoon

Caption : tks to the weather NJH's back is exposed:tongue:

To present a godly image I did this long hairdo and wore glamorous costumes for the fans to see a different image of Haebak.

:glasses:happy waiting!

They actually did the shooting in India :blink: and here i was thinking the place and the visuals reminds me of India :wacko:

Watched this portion again and they did the shooting in Udaipur one of the famous historical places in India silly me I didn't even noticed iut until you pointed it :lol:

On 6/19/2017 at 1:33 AM, Chellsee said:

New stills!

These actors will make a special appearance in the drama.

"Bride of the Water God 2017" Lee Kyeong-yeong, Yang Dong-geun and Jo Jung-chi

Lee Kyeong-yeong, Yang Dong-geun are making special appearances in the new tvN drama 'Bride of the Water God 2017".

"Bride of the Water God 2017" is a fantasy romance drama about a water god named Ha Baek (Nam Joo-hyuk) who lives in the human world and a female doctor who is destined to be a servant of the water god but pretends to be a realist named So-ah (Sin Se-kyeong).

Lee Kyeong-yeong takes on the role of Dae Sa-je, the head of the water world. He recognizes transfer season of the royal throne and tells Ha Baek about it. Lee Kyeong-yeong worked with director Kim Byeong-soo and writer Jeong Yoon-jeong from "Bride of the Water God 2017" before and is making this special appearance out of loyalty.

Yang Dong-geun is Joo Dong, the caretaker of the gods' world. He has high tolerance and is naïve. He has a strong sense of duty for his responsibilities as the god of the human land. However, he often disappears in the human world and can't be found.

Jo Jung-chi is Hwa Gong, a preserver of Ha Baek's appearance for generations. He is in awe of Ha Baek's mightiness and makes a fuss of drawing just a single eye of Ha Baek.

I was backtracking the thread from page 1 and stumbled upon this post.

So, the god of Earth/Land ie Joo Dong (or is it Joo Do) is the monk at the beginning of ep 1 cameoed by actor Yang Dong Geun? The one who explained to the little girl about the gods' world and such? I was taken in awe by his voice narrating the story. His narration sounded so unique and sing-songy and poetic. If the description is right, Habaek is gonna have a hard time in finding the stone that he has.

Archived