[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

'Ruler' dethrones 'Queen of Mystery' in mid-week TV race

SEOUL, May 12 (Yonhap) -- "Ruler: Master of The Mask," MBC TV's new period drama, climbed to No. 1 in the Wednesday-Thursday late night drama race, single-handedly dethroning "Queen of Mystery" in its first week of broadcast, data showed Friday.

Episodes three and four of "Ruler," which aired Thursday evening, recorded 10.5 percent and 12.6 percent viewerships, respectively, according to Nielsen Korea.

The show has adopted a new programming format in which a one-hour conventional TV episode is spliced into two half-hour broadcasts with ads inserted in the middle.

KBS 2TV's crime thriller-comedy "Queen of Mystery," which was at No. 1 before the arrival of "Ruler," stood at 9.2 percent, while episodes three and four of SBS TV's new show "Suspicious Partner" clocked in at 6.1 percent and 7.2 percent, respectively.

"Ruler" is a show about a crown prince named Lee Seon of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) -- played by rising star actor Yoo Seung-ho -- who has been raised wearing a mask since infancy to conceal his identity due to mysterious circumstances.

He wages a war against a technocratic guild known as "Pyeonsoohoe," which seeks to privatize the public water supply for personal gain.

Former child actress Kim So-hyun plays the crown prince's love interest Han Ga-eun and L of boy band INFINITE is cast as the prince's confidant peasant. Veteran actor Huh Joon-ho stars as the main antagonist Daemok, who heads the Pyeonsoohoe.

Spoiler

This composite image shows highlights from MBC TV's "Ruler: Master of the Mask." (Yonhap)

This composite image shows highlights from MBC TV's "Ruler: Master of the Mask." (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

(END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2017/05/12/0701000000AEN20170512002700315.html

GREAT NEWS...CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/05/2017 at 6:18 PM, paperboat04 said:

The crown prince is such a flirt eh? :D that's his charm. 2 ladies already smitten by him. lol But I think the romance will stop by episode 6? It might be full of angst and might focus more on fighting the Bureau water supply group ( Pyunsoo Group). And there's Ga-Eun going to be mad at him for the death of his father.

I wonder if they will follow the fate of the real Crown Prince. (History). He died of starvation right?

Oh well, let's watch and see. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------

I just hope Kim Hwa-Goon will become the Crown Prince's Ally. *crosses fingers* Am I the only one who find her cute following the crown prince like a puppy? lol and oh, I looove her wardrobe. haha

he's so adorable :wub: I think the romance will go little by little with Ga Eun not knowing that Chun Soo is actually the Crown Prince and him filled with guilt not being able to act on his feelings as he wish for and the way I see it things will start falling apart from next episode with our Crown Prince telling his father about Pyunsoo Group and their missdeeds and how he instracted Ga Eun's father to investigate them and the King will order his death to protect him from them and show it as the Crown Prince is the one doing the killing to make sure they won't touch his son!! and I'm supper mad at the King already!! he wants his son to be a great king but he's dragging him into the hole he's in!! how will people see the Crown Prince as their hope when he's making him look like a rutheless Crown Prince?!! :rage: 

from what I saw and javabeans comment we can see that the drama will keep us guessing how they'll make the Crown Prince's fate, they are using some of the hisorical facts but also showing us that the story is a fiction so they go either ways and they gave us a prophecy of the Crown Prince fate that have a tricky interpretation with him being born exactly at 9 which leaves us with "will he or will he not be able to overcome the hardships and so will he become a great Ruler or will he die young?" which is interesting but I want to kill them for leaving me hanging and they better not go the true history road!! I won't be able to take it!! 

you mean the crazy girl who caused the death of Lee Sun's father only to find our Crown Prince?!! soor but I HATE HER!! :rage: she's a big delusional!! she can be of use to him (she can make her grandfather believe that communer Lee Sun is the real Crown Prince) but she's to be feared at every step!! 

Love at 2nd sight :wub:...am i handsome?...and then he smiled...was so cute :wub:

I love our young trio :)...LS already noticed their mutual attraction

I knew that girl will make trouble :crazy:...know its early and not good but i was glad she noticed his love interest  is somewhere else :wink:

All that water stealing thing, torturing the poor old guy and hanging him at the end was so sad :(...and bad thing is our girl's father is next on their list

I understand CP frustration but he should be more careful...he will cause more damage unintentionaly if he continue to act with heart not prepared

I like both eps...love the cast ...and how story starts to complicate :)...eager to see our CP growing as a leader and his fight for his people:wub:

On 11/05/2017 at 7:46 PM, Miky88 said:

Hwa Goon is such a creepy character,her obsession with Lee Sun is creepy and more than sure she will do anything to have him or if not she will choose to destroy him and everything he cares...Don't know if all of this is based on her upbringing,that feel of having what she desires at hand,because her Grandfather clearly taught her that or a mix between that and her ill personality that would be there no matter her status(in that respect)...

I'm afraid of that!! she even call him "my" Crown Prince?!! WHAT?!! and she thought he was smiling and running to her (?) only for him to by pass her, not even registering her!! she can take his side for a while trying to win him but I'm sure she'll go crazy when she realise hisfeelings for Ga Eun whitch aren't really that hidden to begin with!! 

I must say i giggled at the little clishe reversals we've got here,the girl saving the guy,that palaquin scene were he reveals himself to her in that innocent way most heroines do in their first meet-up with the fated one...

hhhhhhhhh yeah that was so cute and it's a 1st from what I saw in dramaland!! :wub: 

Our Crown Prince will have a tough journey ahead of him and more than one slap with the reality surronding him that sadly doesn't have anything to do with what's right or what should be...I like his desire for justice,for the good of the people yet we could say he is still innocent and i must say i'm so into his journey to becoming a great King and more seeing how he will gain power as for now he doesn't have much even if he will loose some of the now bright innocence he still holds,that purity yet untached by darkness.It won't be easy getting rid of a full room of councels that the King now has and are all by the Pyunsoo hwe side and even more finding new reliable people to work with..I can understand a bit more why he will himself feel so guilty after seeing people die because of his future actions...

I'm so looking forward for his growth as a true Ruler though my heart will break for him but he needs to learn and see how things are going to fix them though really he'll have all guilt over his shoulders!! :( 

Like always the poor and good ones die first...Felt so sad for the poor Sun(the poor one,i'll call him as that) feeling helpless in more than one ocassion because of his status and i'm sure he felt deep down hate for Lee Sun as his involvment for good or bad had his father killed...I must say i'm quite in for their journey and how this two will grow up and i hope Sun's possible desire for more will not tear away or backstab our future King,joining hands with the old evil one,it would be really sad yet it's something i could expect for plot wise...

the father dying was so obviously coming when we had the 1st (and last) heart to heart conversation between father and son with him spporting and encouraging Lee Seon to keep studying!! :( I can see how Lee Seon will grow to admire our Crown Prince enough to suggest becoming his stand-in and I'm so looking for their bromance :D but also can see how he can (will) want to take over the throne to be the "great King" for wronged people like him, which will beak my heart if/when it happen!! :( 

Now into fan,ehem,noona mode...Yoo Seung Ho is sooo damn handsome and full of charisma as always,everytime he is on the screen i can't take my eyes of him,full of demanding presence...:wub::wub::wub:

he's so full of charisma and he's really giving he royalty vibe from him and yes he's "full of demanding presence"!! :wub: 

Hwang Chi Yeol OST in the ending of the episode is amazing,can't wait for it to be realised...

me too!! :wub: 

tumblr_opuezuSw4D1sh8uxlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_opuezuSw4D1sh8uxlo2_1280.jpg

Exactly what I should put on my room door. 

cr: http://dramatroll.net/

bTsLbzR.gif

DC

tumblr_opulsyFGzf1tmjt2ko4_540.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_opulsyFGzf1tmjt2ko6_540.giftumblr_opulsyFGzf1tmjt2ko7_540.gif

++++++++++++

tumblr_opt82m5S1r1vqfmslo2_540.gif

tumblr_opt82m5S1r1vqfmslo4_r1_540.gif

tumblr_opt82m5S1r1vqfmslo5_540.gif

tumblr_opt82m5S1r1vqfmslo3_540.gif

tumblr_opt82m5S1r1vqfmslo6_540.gif

captainjoongki:

The Start of a Dangerous Love Triangle…..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tumblr_opuf1rVKAk1r5k6g9o2_540.gif

Just four episodes in and Ruler: Master of the Mask has already smashed all records

Spoiler

13aa3125-4248-4e33-9a12-380a6dbb9583.jpg

There are great dramas and then there are EPIC dramas. And Ruler: Master of the Mask co-produced by DramaFever definitely falls in the latter category! Here's why the Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun are hitting the right notes with viewers!

Ruler: Master of the Mask released four episodes in the first week itself, but was already breaking records by episode 1! According to research firm Nielsen Korea, MBC’s latest historical drama quickly rose to first place amongst dramas in the Wednesday-Thursday time slot again. Predictions are, the drama will maintain the spot for a long time to come. 

Additionally the drama raked in 10.5 percent and 12.6 percent for episodes three and four, respectively. This marks an almost 1 percent increase fro episodes 1 and 2. 

Our other offerings,  KBS 2TV’sQueen of Mystery brought in 9.2 percent while SBS’s Love in Trouble (aka Suspicious Partner) brought in 6.1 percent and 7.2 percent for episodes three and four respectively! Its looking like a great summer at DramaFever!

:lol:

I’ll start my diet tomorrow.

I'm starting to fear that Sun will along the road will go to the dark side and will make the same mistake The King did aka join hands with the devil to be made King and get rid of Lee Sun...And will also take that pill while pledging his alliagnance...

Now i woder what the writer has in plan with the ending,i mean who will she made the King...it can go both ways,making The Crown Prince take his rightful place and become a true and good King or make Sun be the King while Lee Sun ends up with Ga Eun living a normal life 

I must say i'm lowkey rolling my eyes at the DF zealous headlines...Promotion is promotion but they should be more moderate with their words or keep it more close to reality...

-peeks in here- Oh hi there... Hi, haha.. I heard that the first two episodes of this drama is really good so far! I am so tempted to start watching this drama, but I don't know if I can afford to watch an ongoing drama because of all my school work :bawling: 

Anyways... I heard the ratings for this drama is good so far! Yay! -applauds- Random question by the way... Does anyone know why one episode for this drama is split into two parts? Like one is 30 minutes and the other is 30 minutes? Is this a new thing the broadcasting stations are doing?

@ferily

As JB commented in Dramabeans:

What was unusual about the premieres was that the broadcasters put into motion something they’ve been talking about for a while, which is mid-episode commercial breaks (which cable stations have already been doing for a while). You wouldn’t think it would be such a big deal to interrupt a show halfway through to play a minute or two of commercials, but MBC and SBS actually did the odd thing of making the commercial break particularly conspicuous, and divided their premiere episodes into “Part 1” and “Part 2” and even reported ratings separately for each half.

1 minute ago, rossy5 said:

@ferily

As JB commented in Dramabeans:

What was unusual about the premieres was that the broadcasters put into motion something they’ve been talking about for a while, which is mid-episode commercial breaks (which cable stations have already been doing for a while). You wouldn’t think it would be such a big deal to interrupt a show halfway through to play a minute or two of commercials, but MBC and SBS actually did the odd thing of making the commercial break particularly conspicuous, and divided their premiere episodes into “Part 1” and “Part 2” and even reported ratings separately for each half.

Thank you for the info!! I was so confused as to why some dramas were in two parts... Does this mean KBS isn't doing this then?

After watching 4 episodes here is my review on some main characters in the drama: 

-Prince Lee Seon: he is lonely, he is sad, he is clueless, cute, but he is good at flirting and making girls fall for him. I laughed out loud at the scene where he talked to his mask like his buddy, and how adorable he was when he first time wandered around the village. He was also straightforward with his feelings and I was relieved to see the CP had no eye for Hwa Gun character. His eyes were only on Ga Eun from the start, and I haven't had enough of the CP puppy adorable but I guess things turn dark next week and we will never see CP to be this much adorable again in anytime soon :(. And CP is such completely different from Yoo Seung Ho in real life in talking with girls haha

-Han Ga Eun: The reason I waited Ruler for 6 months is because of Kim So Hyun, I have waited so long to see her finally get a capable and veteran male lead. I like that Han Ga Eun is smart, independent (she didn't let Commoner Sun helped her while climbing) and caring. But this is just typical nice girl in Sageuk drama, so I'm waiting for more from Han Ga Eun character when angst starts and her father get killed and takes a huge turning point in her life. 

-Peasant Lee Sun: he didn't look like he is a genius but more a tempered man to me, but L is exceeding people expectations for sure. He loves Ga Eun but he couldn't look at her eyes straight because of social rankings, so I guess he has that eyes for the throne when the chance comes around. 

- Hwa Gun: well let just say I hate her character. She is supposed to be a strong badass sassy 2nd female lead who is ready to do anything to get the CP heart. Even she is mean, but if played by a better actress, Hwa Gun has the potential to steal the spotlight from the main female lead (the typical nice girl get boring right?) but Yoon So Hee portrayal of Hwa Gun is terrible, such a bratty, crazy, mean and annoying character. I just want to fast forward her screen time, her tone was out of place and her smirks irked me so much. Urg I don't want such a minor character ruins the flow of my drama!

- The King: he is paying for the crime he committed in the past, he is powerless and toothless as a King but I still have soft spot for him from the way he is protecting the CP. He maybe killed soon I think.

- The CP guard: Woon Chung? I knew it. I always fall hard for this type of character. The strong, tall, loyal and badass bodyguard of the CP. He is serious but has a savage side. "I found the most clueless and rude in the crowd" kkk He is a friend but also a teacher for the CP since childhood. He will always be there in the most crucial moments to save the prince. I just love every CP bodyguard in every Sageuk drama I have watched.

Yoo Seungho Bids On Ratings For Ruler

Spoiler

ws4g33mqfh2q67qg8drdv6h8lxx41sdn.jpg

[by Im Hyunjoo / Photo by Kim Chiyoon] Yoo Seungho made a promise.

The team of MBC’s drama ‘Ruler: Master of the Mask’ gathered in Sangam, Mapo, Seoul for a press conference. No Dochul PD and his acting crew including Yoo Seungho, Kim Sohyun, Kim Myungsoo, Yoon Sohee, Heo Joonho and Park Cheomi were all on stage.

Asked about what they will do if the series beat rating records, he answered ‘’We all thought about it. If the series goes beyond 20% we will wear our costumes and hold a fan sign event anywhere in Seoul.’’

‘Ruler’ is an historical drama that depicts the desperate struggle of the crown prince of Joseon facing the group that gained wealth and power by privatizing the water of Joseon’s all regions.

http://www.bntnews.co.uk/app/news.php?nid=33207

interesting promise...

Omo. I just finished episode 2. It's late here now so i will be back tomorrow to spazz my thoughts. 

I already love this drama so much. And i ship CP and Ga Eun so much :wub:

Their little interactions make my heart go 'awwwww'

@alekaonu hi my dear cougar chingu! Yes i am following this drama and loving it so much. My next OTP is this one. They make me flutter with their chemistry. And yep, I am following SP too. Can't miss out on sexy and adorable JCW :D and u?

Archived