[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Princess Agents 特工皇妃楚乔传

sugarplum892

Can someone give me a reasonable explaination, why is the arrangement of the scenes of the subbed version didnt follow the raw version especially the starting and the ending? The subbed version always begins from the scene of the previous episode for 10 min and that make it ends 10-15minutes earlier than the raw...i just watched ep64 with subb and got frustrated when it ended just when the YWY and XE met at the icy, YQ left, YWY warned her about someone tried to kill her...then it ended! I was like...WT***!!?? I've been looking forward and waiting patiently just to watch (together with sub) the heart-wrenching moments when XE burst out crying with YWY behind her....this editting really richard simmons me off and spoil my mood...why can't the subbed version follow similarly the sequence of the raw version? At least they should make the episode ended after the sorrowful reunion between them ended.....:angry:

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, mamamya88 said:

Can someone give me a reasonable explaination, why is the arrangement of the scenes of the subbed version didnt follow the raw version especially the starting and the ending? The subbed version always begins from the scene of the previous episode for 10 min and that make it ends 10-15minutes earlier than the raw...i just watched ep64 with subb and got frustrated when it ended just when the YWY and XE met at the icy, YQ left, YWY warned her about someone tried to kill her...then it ended! I was like...WT***!!?? I've been looking forward and waiting patiently just to watch (together with sub) the heart-wrenching moments when XE burst out crying with YWY behind her....this editting really richard simmons me off and spoil my mood...why can't the subbed version follow similarly the sequence of the raw version? At least they should make the episode ended after the sorrowful reunion between them ended.....:angry:

The subbed version is the uncut version. The raw version is the TV version. They don't release the uncut version to include the TV version because it also contains scenes of the next episode. WIth the TV version, Hunan tends to use their magical scissors to cut some scenes out. They always do a replay of a 5-10 minutes from previous episode which makes the drama draggy. It's all for profit so that # of viewers can be skyrocketted. 

• Like 3

Just now, RealityDream said:

The subbed version is the uncut version. The raw version is the TV version. They don't release the uncut version to include the TV version because it also contains scenes of the next episode. WIth the TV version, Hunan tends to use their magical scissors to cut some scenes out. They always do a replay of a 5-10 minutes from previous episode which makes the drama draggy. It's all for profit so that # of viewers can be skyrocketted. 

Why call uncut when the subb version has more cut scenes than the tv version....haha 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Are we getting any new episodes tonight?

Sorry for asking but I'm still getting over jet lag and I seem to remember reading that Hunan intends to drag out the last four episodes to promote their new show.

Not today, but on Sunday, Monday and Thursday at 11 PM China Time..an episode per day....Correct me if I am wrong

• Like 3

According to ZLY interview, there is 3 parts to the novel.  It is in the later part that CQ becomes truly  “強大 strong ”.  Unfortunately, this PA TV series only focus on the earlier which also happens to be the least likeable part of her character development.  I think this is an injustice to the character and actress.  So much time is wasted on repeating scenes at beginning of each episode and side plots unnecessary to the main CQ story.  PA will be much better if the script writers stay with just CQ and paced the story that shows her growth from being a lost slave to the great CQ that ends slavery alongside with her beloved YWY.   If it were not for Zhao Li Ying and the perfect YWY/LGX, I would have given on PA many episodes ago.

Overall, I think the cast is superb.  The script writing however is very bad towards the end.  If PA2, I know ZLY has already said she would have not time for it.  Even if she does, she really should look into the script before signing on. Otherwise, she can end up playing one of the stupidest and most frustrated heroines in drama history. I have been so disappointed and hopefully the ending will change my mind.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, zlyfan said:

According to ZLY interview, there is 3 parts to the novel.  It is in the later part that CQ becomes truly  “強大 strong ”.  Unfortunately, this PA TV series only focus on the earlier which also happens to be the least likeable part of her character development.  I think this is an injustice to the character and actress.  So much time is wasted on repeating scenes at beginning of each episode and side plots unnecessary to the main CQ story.  PA will be much better if the script writers stay with just CQ and paced the story that shows her growth from being a lost slave to the great CQ that ends slavery alongside with her beloved YWY.   If it were not for Zhao Li Ying and the perfect YWY/LGX, I would have given on PA many episodes ago.

Overall, I think the cast is superb.  The script writing however is very bad towards the end.  If PA2, I know ZLY has already said she would have not time for it.  Even if she does, she really should look into the script before signing on. Otherwise, she can end up playing one of the stupidest and most frustrated heroines in drama history. I have been so disappointed and hopefully the ending will change my mind.

If not for the charismatic main casts, I already gave up around episodes 20 something. I am quite disheartened to continue at the moment, but bcoz left only 3 episodes I hardened my heart to finish it.....I am having difficulty to tolerate such stupidity in the main character.

• Like 3

ZLY signed on this drama before she received the final script because she loved the book so much. I remember her always commenting on the author's weibo that "Please stick to the novel". She was very disappointed when she found out that they didn't film the whole novel.

I heard it took them 5 years to finish the script, and the author was also consulted. But when the cast began shooting, the writers changed the script along the process to the point that they didn't know what they would be shooting the next day. No wonder they ended up with such an illogical and incoherent script. Maybe they lacked money so they hired amateur writers :angry:.

Poor poor ZLY, I can see how much love and passion she had for this project. The same with the rest of the cast, they did their best :(!

From now on I think she will be very careful in choosing dramas. I heard that now she reads the scripts carefully before accepting any role.

• Like 11

On 07/28/2017 at 10:54 AM, mamamya88 said:

Same here, I was eagerly looking fwd to that Lake scene only to end up wandering what hpnd with the sudden ending.

What 'heartless' audience we are wishing suffering and tears on our heroine  :D CQ greatest misfortune is she's 'bound' to a r/ship with YX that has no hope of recovery now. The emotions she's investing into it are wearing her thin, pride/stubbornness is the only thing keeping her afloat/moving.

With YWY he loved,  he confessed - in a way he's 'free'. She doesn't even have the option to reflect on what she feels, let alone acknowledge or confess. Being unable to share the depths of het feelings has to be a greater tragedy.  He has willingly let her go to mke her own decision, of course it will be painful but not on the same level as hers.

If YX tricks and tries to kill YWY - then hooray - finally he'll be making a firm decision AND carrying it out w/out indecision. It will clear the mist in front of YX + CQ to what each other really wants now. At this moment they're attempting to read each other's mind w/out actually talking it out based on their history  - no wonder both are swimming in uncertainty,suspicion and doubts.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IMOmusings said:

AHAHHAHAHA combined they can kill anyone, anywhere at a whim xD look out all ye nations here come the power assassin couple xD

This could be PA2 or a new set :D. Both from underworld or heading their own spy organisations - they should be on opposite camps tho - but destination always same - imagine the tension as they try and get one upmanship above the other!!:tongue:

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Right now the thing I despise the most about this show is how they're waving the so-called love polygon under our noses like a decomposing carrot and turning perfectly decent characters into shadow puppets dancing to the ratings tune. On the one hand we're made to feel like this is some serious political show not primarily about romance, then the next moment we're told that it actually is all about romance. It's downright bad manners. So everything that people do in this show is somehow tied to the tacky love polygon which has more knots than overnight undried hair first thing in the morning. This egregious audience manipulation is something I absolutely detest with a passion.

Once I was ambivalent about YX but at least there was clarity about his mission. Since he escaped from Chang'an and decided that he was waging war on Wei he's gone from bad to pathetic. It seems like somebody knows that he should be the bad guy but they're too craven to hand him completely over to the dark side (maybe they're paying Shawn the big bucks for eyeliner privileges) so they keep making him look like a first class loser at every opportunity. The man doesn't do anything on his own now except carve and polish jade while stalking CQ like The Phantom. It's a game between CY and CQ while he's looking on in the sidelines looking blandly stern. Now he's begging CQ to stay because apparently he's doing all this for her but he knows she hates what he's doing. What the heck! As if it isn't enough that he's become a stalkery Warring States version of Charlie Brown... he whines... waaaaaaaa... "I have nobody but you." Suck it up buddy and make new friends!  Just when I thought I couldn't dislike YX much more... I've come to despise him through and through. His indecision is costing lives while he's allowing people to manipulate him under his nose. because he hasn't got the guts to do what needs to be done. Apparently it's all because of lurrrve...  (Ants are crawling up my skin)

This is appalling. YX is turning into a first class wuss. Give me a James Bond... moustache twirling villain anytime above this sorry excuse of a prince YX has become. I don't know why CY hasn't tried to kill him already and take over. At the rate things are going, I won't be surprised if a mutiny is on the cards.

WSY is the dumbest sap of all because there's a girl he likes who's a self-harming cutter who wants to die but nobody will let her. He keeps trying to save her from herself but he's not really very good at it. 

What the devil is this show turning into? Warring States High? CQ Buffy The Kingdom Slayer?

My problem with YX is that the writers don't want to let him complete his transition so he ends up in a weird place. It is a disservice to the character because he still comes off like a bad guy but in a looser type of way. He doesn't come off strong and confident, it just feels like he is throwing a temper tantrum. After he met with CQ again, he is just sulking around. I guess in inner conflict with his past actions and actions he wants to take. I don't know I think it really weakens him. I would prefer they give him a stronger resolve, a clear goal, and a I will do anything to reach that.

Everyone just let CE die. Can't they see they are not making her feel any better? She is tired already and she has been through so much, she just wants to die and find her peace. But everyone she cares about keeps sacrificing themselves for her. WYS was always a wuss. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, litia said:

ZLY signed on this drama before she received the final script because she loved the book so much. I remember her always commenting on the author's weibo that "Please stick to the novel". She was very disappointed when she found out that they didn't film the whole novel.

I heard it took them 5 years to finish the script, and the author was also consulted. But when the cast began shooting, the writers changed the script along the process to the point that they didn't know what they would be shooting the next day. No wonder they ended up with such an illogical and incoherent script. Maybe they lacked money so they hired amateur writers :angry:.

Poor poor ZLY, I can see how much love and passion she had for this project. The same with the rest of the cast, they did their best :(!

From now on I think she will be very careful in choosing dramas. I heard that now she reads the scripts carefully before accepting any role.

I think they changed some parts of the script bcoz of plagiarism issues. If I am not mistaken, there are 3 other authors that filed a case against them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, litia said:

Ah no in the book  it's indeed XE/CQ who injured YWY before he fell into the ice lake but she didn't do it intentionally and she did not shoot him. I forget how exactly as I read it a long time ago but for sure she never meant to hurt him. In the drama I don't think she will do that either.

I think it was with a knife or a sword that she threw not an arrow, but regardless, it was QC/XE who injured him.  Whether it was done intentionally, I am pretty sure it was meant to stop him from killing YX, who used her Hong Can sword to lure him there to get rid of him once and for all.   I don't think she wanted to kill him, just do enough to stop what was about to happen if she did not do something.  

5 hours ago, Bella-Chimura said:

It's just a sarcastic remark my dear. Don't need to worried. If the series don't have happy ending. They will make YWY died and CQ become a nun. YX can married Cheng Yuan.

Yx married cheng yuan?

Gay?  I thought cheng yuan is a guy? 

Lol... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, matchamacchiato said:
  Reveal hidden contents

From my language's translation (not English) of the book, CQ did not shot an arrow to YWY. While YWY and YX were fighting each other, they threw their swords to one another. CQ came from afar, she didnt see clearly who was fighting with YX. So in order to prevent YWY's sword from aiming at YX, she threw the sword on her hand - Po Yue Sword (YWY and CQ exchanged their swords before this scene). The sword clashed YWY's sword and stabbed right through his chest. YWY then looked down to see Po Yue Sword and thought that CQ intentionally hurt him to save YX, heartbroken he said that was what he got for his one-sided love.

However, I don't think they filmed that scene. Just like the scene in the bathroom, in the book, CQ also stabbed YWY's chest, and he was badly injured, but we didn't have that detail in the drama.  

I stand corrected on the particular weapon used but I am still vague on whether she knew the identity before she threw the weapon.  From what I read, I thought she did.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Right now the thing I despise the most about this show is how they're waving the so-called love polygon under our noses like a decomposing carrot and turning perfectly decent characters into shadow puppets dancing to the ratings tune. On the one hand we're made to feel like this is some serious political show not primarily about romance, then the next moment we're told that it actually is all about romance. It's downright bad manners. So everything that people do in this show is somehow tied to the tacky love polygon which has more knots than overnight undried hair first thing in the morning. This egregious audience manipulation is something I absolutely detest with a passion.

Once I was ambivalent about YX but at least there was clarity about his mission. Since he escaped from Chang'an and decided that he was waging war on Wei he's gone from bad to pathetic. It seems like somebody knows that he should be the bad guy but they're too craven to hand him completely over to the dark side (maybe they're paying Shawn the big bucks for eyeliner privileges) so they keep making him look like a first class loser at every opportunity. The man doesn't do anything on his own now except carve and polish jade while stalking CQ like The Phantom. It's a game between CY and CQ while he's looking on in the sidelines looking blandly stern. Now he's begging CQ to stay because apparently he's doing all this for her but he knows she hates what he's doing. What the heck! As if it isn't enough that he's become a stalkery Warring States version of Charlie Brown... he whines... waaaaaaaa... "I have nobody but you." Suck it up buddy and make new friends!  Just when I thought I couldn't dislike YX much more... I've come to despise him through and through. His indecision is costing lives while he's allowing people to manipulate him under his nose. because he hasn't got the guts to do what needs to be done. Apparently it's all because of lurrrve...  (Ants are crawling up my skin)

This is appalling. YX is turning into a first class wuss. Give me a James Bond... moustache twirling villain anytime above this sorry excuse of a prince YX has become. I don't know why CY hasn't tried to kill him already and take over. At the rate things are going, I won't be surprised if a mutiny is on the cards.

CQ has taken to sulking in her room. To what end? So she can ponder over the futility of life? Get in line kiddo! These days everyone who isn't trying to get someone killed is pondering over the futility of life. What makes her so special? Let's give her brownie points for finally realising the world is a big place and she can't solve all of its problems. But move on already. At least CY is keeping you on your toes because YX isn't doing that much to stir your ticker. 

YWY has attained bodhisattva status with his latest pronouncements. At the rate he's going he'll die a celibate. Of course he'd rather be late night tangoing with XE but what to do, she'd rather be late-night sulking alone in her bedroom like a teenage girl who has just realised the boy she's dating is a closet psychopath that runs a fraternity that doubles as a star chamber.

WSY is the dumbest sap of all because there's a girl he likes who's a self-harming cutter who wants to die but nobody will let her. He keeps trying to save her from herself but he's not really very good at it. 

What the devil is this show turning into? Warring States High? CQ Buffy The Kingdom Slayer?

laugh3-smiley.gifThose two sentences killed me laugh1-smiley.gif

Moving to a more serious note.  over-react-smiley.gif

The post production team has really butchered this project in the last two thirds of the series. Did they loose their director and editor to another project? Did the editor and producer get pissed off at ZLY and decide to edit her character into the most unsympathetic, unlikeable character, minimizing her screen time? I find it hard to believe this is the same script that got the lead actors to sign on to this project. These most recent episodes exemplify the problem. To much time on secondary characters and to much attention on everything minus the lead characters storyline.

The promise, early on, of a fascinating back story for our lead female has not materialized.  The screen time to show off XE/CQ's unique and lethal fighting skills has been wasted on the storylines of peripheral characters

• PenPal Princess,
  • Assassin clubs and their politics.  
  • YX's rejected suitors has taken up the most wasted amount of screen time. There is, Chuner, then there are the bromancers from Yanbei businessmen, to his own army generals.  oh-smiley.gif
  • My goodness, we even had airtime for sympathetic war victims with no relevance to advance the story! 

There is simply not a sufficient amount of air time to complete the XE+YWY storyline properly, and to do their characters justice. The ending will be a rushed and unsatisfying affair.

At this point, even if there is a "happy ending" I will not be watching another similar historical drama by this scriptwriter and production company. Clearly, something happened behind the scenes and the production has suffered.  If there is a PA2 I will not be watching it. 

The only silver lining in this viewing journey has been coming to this little corner of the world and reading the many viewpoints from all the lovely people on this forum generous enough to share their thoughts. In the process I have been enlightened, informed, and entertained far more satisfyingly than my time spent watching the show. 

Thank you everyone! group-hug2-smiley.gif

• Like 10