[Drama 2017] Strong Woman Do Bong Soon 힘쎈여자 도봉순

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, dhakra said:

Based on exprience, men are really good on not seeing things and be the last ones to know about specific things. We tend to miss things pretty quickly.

I really believe that GD isn't aware of BS's strength, just because up to this point, GD's character doesn't seem to be so.....multi dimensional. But this isn't Ji Soo fault, right now the writers didn't give his character much to work with. GD just seems very cold, rational and calculated. I'm  sure that this will change throughtout the drama. As soon as the bromance starts, he will change too.

Ok I won't argue with that as  you're giving me your male POV. Maybe I don't really understand men after all. Different planets eh?

I think what I find hard to reconcile is that the character set up for GD is that he has a one-sided crush on BS ( as per description on pg 1) but so far after 4eps we only know that it is BS that is in "love" & we're just really guessing about his intentions & feelings ( agree it's only been just 4eps) 

my obsession with the character is the reason why I keep trying to pick the character apart as I'm trying to see what his real feelings are & see if he is a worthy contender for our strong gal. Of course in my mind AMH is really perfect for BS but my heart like hers is just drawn to GD ( Guess you could blame the JiSoo factor. )  I know now why you were drawn to evil ex in Fairy since the beginning - there's no logic to it. And as you know my mind & my heart ( & ovaries! ) rarely connect 

14 hours ago, penelop3 said:

I believe in the case of BS and GD, they're just not compatible.. it's like radios that sending signals, it keeps getting missed and mixed. 
GD perhaps did like BS and perhaps giving her hints (like liking gentle girls that he can protect). 

BS turned into that girl - the weak and fragile - maybe she did it so well that in the end she became weak mentally. She believed that by becoming weak, she will be accepted that she will be loved. When that didnt happen, she feels frustrated and kept sinking lower and lower. Meeting AMH gave her confidence - being paid so much money because AMH needs her power is a confidence boost, being needed and cared for - eventhough it seems she doesnt realize it now, has started to change her. I like her spunkiness when she's with AMH or dealing with thugs. I hate it when she turned into a wilted flower when she's with GD. He's no good for her. 

For GD, I'm not sure what happened there. If he indeed liked weak girls, and BS has turned into 1, then why he didnt make his move, instead dated the most popular girl. It's either he's messing with DS's feelings or there's a huge misunderstanding between his kind of weak girl and DS's kinda of weak girl.

Whatever it is, I'm glad they are not the OTP.  

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Your allegory about the radio made me laugh... :) Yes that's exactly the reason why it is not working. The thing is that DBS got the wrong idea about gentle girls, she understood it as weak. However, I believe, IGD meant something different, like she is supposed to be sensitive and caring with her feelings. Yet, I have the impression that DBS remained passive in that aera. She kept her distance from him so that IGD has no idea that she is the cook in her family. She is definitely a gentle girl as she remained faithful to him, waiting for him to see her. The moment she wanted to show her affection (scarf), it was too late. Notice that when IGD was playing the piano, she always remained at the window, as if she was acting as his shield to the other female students. But she never went next to him, sitting there... That's why I believe that IGD thought, she was not into him. He saw her actions but he was deaf to her words (she asks about his girlfriend, his well-being, she has that nice voice).

AMH sees her for whom she is: not weak but lacking in self-confidence. He notices her good qualities: she can cook very well. She made him even cry, she gives him the warmth he has been missing, while he is boosting her self-esteem. I am also rooting for our OTP.

I hope, the gay thing will be soon out of the picture. 

3 hours ago, dhakra said:

This really annoyed me too. In the moment someone shot at her, nobody knew that it weren't actual bullets. As soon as he noticed it, he went straight for her, dragged her out of danger and even catched a bullet for her. He was bodyguarding her, although it's her job to protect him. It's not just a nice gesture, it's the decision so sacrifice oneselfs life for another. Because, like I said, nobody knew that it weren't actual bullets. 

In fact, I think he already dropped most of the walls around him for her. She just doesn't see it. He told her about his past, his family, his hard times during childhood and dragged her even to her family to meet them all. She just has to realize that he opened a door for her. 

@bebebisous33 @penelop3 @dhakraI love what you guys said about AMH! I definitely agree with everything (I quoted and bolded :D). I believe that Ahn Min Hyuk has definitely opened up with Bong Soon already and trusts her~  He sees Do Bong Soon as who she really is and sees her good qualities as @bebebisous33 said.. I think Min Hyuk is bringing out the spunkiness out of Bong Soon and she doesn't have her defense mechanism up around her before she first met him. After meeting Min Hyuk, she is more outgoing, honest (saying what is on her mind), and more open with her strength.

8 hours ago, riribl said:

I think of the opposite. If GD did know that BS has that superpower way before, then he might think of himself as someone who cannot match up to BS instead, like he thinks he isn't strong enough to protect BS, so he didn't make a move on her. 

It's def possible for GD to think like that considering how upright and strict he is to everything.

But atm I'm not sure of the possibility GD knowing BS super strength or not. If he did harbor a long time crush on BS, then he most definitely has known already since having a crush on her = watching over her closely.

I think Gook Doo doesn't know about Bong Soon's superpower, seeing how protective and worried he is about her. If he saw her capabilities (like Min Hyuk did), I don't think he would be as worried and concerned over Bong Soon. Because GD isn't somebody who is worried over somebody like a normal person, he is definitely someone who is really really concerned and protective of Bong Soon...

Do Bong Soon really doesn't see Ahn Min Hyuk as the kind of person he actually is... It makes me a bit sad the way she treats him and unable to see his genuineness at times. Yes, he does tease her a lot and act childish towards her, but it seems as though she only sees those aspects of Min Hyuk. He has shown his sincerity and true feelings towards her, him talking about his past and mom, and he was willing to protect her too! Min Hyuk can be childish but he can also be sincere too. Bong Soon really is oblivious towards Ahn Min Hyuk not being gay.... I hope Bong Soon can slowly see the kind of person Min Hyuk truly is (It seems she is though, slowly, since she said herself after the phonecall between them) and realize he is in fact not gay~ :lol:

“Strong Woman, Do Bong Soon” Producer Explains The Drama’s Popularity

m0NeOc2.png

Although only four episodes have aired so far, JTBC’s “Strong Woman, Do Bong Soon” has already surpassed the 8 percent threshold, easily making it one of the channel’s most popular shows.

The show’s second episode surpassed the 5 percent mark and the fourth episode brought in 8.3 percent, which is less than 1 percent away from the highest rating JTBC’s most popular drama “Childless Comfort” brought in.

However, no matter how popular Park Bo Young and Park Hyung Sik are right now, the drama would not receive this much love if the show was not entertaining. The drama is not only a rom-com fantasy, but is also a nonsensical comedy thriller, defying viewer expectations.

Producer Song Won Seob said, “It’s a drama that viewers can watch and laugh about in a very relaxed way. It lets viewers vicariously experience something new through the show.”

He continued, “Although the basic backdrop of the show is a romantic comedy, the characters aren’t just falling in love and dating since Do Bong Soon is basically Wonder Woman. There are many occasions in our society in which women are overlooked or undervalued, despite their skills and abilities. At first, Do Bong Soon’s inability to reveal her true strength to the world is an instance of this. Furthermore, there are moments in which women are confronted by dangerous and problematic people whom they do not or feel they cannot fight back against as women; however, viewers are able to live vicariously through Do Bong Soon as she puts these people in their place with her abilities.”

As the second reason for the show’s popularity, the producer said, “There are many young people out there who have great talents but don’t know how or where to use them. Similarly, Do Bong Soon’s strength is something she has not found a true purpose for as of yet. As the narrative unfolds, she will realize how she needs to be using her abilities, marking a turning point in the drama.”

Finally, producer Song Won Seob stated that the show’s ability to separate viewers from reality is the third reason for its popularity. He explained, “We wanted to make a show that people could watch and be entertained by, without thinking about about the problematic world that we live in right now.”

Watch the first episode of “Strong Woman, Do Bong Soon” on Viki!

58 minutes ago, triplem said:

Ok I won't argue with that as  you're giving me your male POV. Maybe I don't really understand men after all. Different planets eh?

I think what I find hard to reconcile is that the character set up for GD is that he has a one-sided crush on BS ( as per description on pg 1) but so far after 4eps we only know that it is BS that is in "love" & we're just really guessing about his intentions & feelings ( agree it's only been just 4eps) 

my obsession with the character is the reason why I keep trying to pick the character apart as I'm trying to see what his real feelings are & see if he is a worthy contender for our strong gal. Of course in my mind AMH is really perfect for BS but my heart like hers is just drawn to GD ( Guess you could blame the JiSoo factor. )  I know now why you were drawn to evil ex in Fairy since the beginning - there's no logic to it. And as you know my mind & my heart ( & ovaries! ) rarely connect 

We men aren't that complicated.

I think to be a 'worthy contender' for BS he has to go through a massive change. He may have the looks (as a guy I can't see it, but I trust your opinions in this matter) but aside from that he lacks heavily.  You can't be like that in front of the girl you like. Even if she accepts that behavior, it's just wrong. Aaash....a girls heart must REALLY be complicated.

Even if he like BS, why did he never do anything to get her? Men are supposed to do the first step and he had plenty of time. She wasn't in a relationship either, instead he looks for another girlfriend. This is what I didn't get, when MH tells that the one-sided love doesn't seem so one-sided, why did GD let it happen that it seemed one-sided? He never had a contentant until this point. Now that someone tries to get her, he becomes active?

Talking about the marked part. giphy.gifHow dare you chingu? :D 

You have to bring up my hot noona girl KSJ? Really? Oh...you know that you opened Pandora's box there! B) First, she never was the 'evil ex', you called her that.....and so did the others of the thread back then <_< From my perspective, she was just a concerned former girlfriend that had the intention to bring her beauty and gorgousness back into JH's life while being a little over-motivated. :ph34r:  Yeah okay, she played a little dirty at times, but hey.....you saw her smile? A girl who can smile like that isn't "evil". And look at her eyes! I know, right? I call this logic! I would have accepted her apology right away. ^_^ 

So, to come to a conclusion Shi-Ho and GD are totally different! Shi-Ho was caring, beautiful, focused....did I mention she was beautiful? Uhm.....oh yeah wrong thread.....SWDBS....where was I?

And why do you still have to remind me of the word 'ovaries'. I lived a happy life without knowing the word and everytime I start to forget it, you squeeze it right back into my mind. Ovaries are still haunting me.

51 minutes ago, ferily said:

@bebebisous33 @penelop3 @dhakraI love what you guys said about AMH! I definitely agree with everything (I quoted and bolded :D). I believe that Ahn Min Hyuk has definitely opened up with Bong Soon already and trusts her~  He sees Do Bong Soon as who she really is and sees her good qualities as @bebebisous33 said.. I think Min Hyuk is bringing out the spunkiness out of Bong Soon and she doesn't have her defense mechanism up around her before she first met him. After meeting Min Hyuk, she is more outgoing, honest (saying what is on her mind), and more open with her strength.

And I think this will open him the chance of conquering her heart. She doesn't have to hide it, pretend she is weak or even say that she doesn't like it. She just can live being herself without worrying too much. And isn't that the most wishful thing that can be achieved? She doesn't have to worry around him. And as cherry on top, he created a painting of her that he worships to. Seems like a key to me.

12 hours ago, evie7 said:

I love her medical diagnosis too

I don't know about skulls, but with her beauty she definitely has some experience with broken hearts. Ah...daily dosis of BS gained, going to sleep well tonight.

18 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

He has a girlfriend named Hae Ji who graduated from a music university and now plays violin in a municipal orchestra. He has always dreamed of a gentle girl like a Cosmos flower… but ‘beneath’ the Miss Korea precepts of truth-goodness-beauty, she is the beautiful owner of a suspicious history 

@stroppyse thank you for the translation of the Character of Do Bong Soon , Ahn min hyuk and In Guk doo happy-cheetah-emoticon.gif?1302786122sorry to disturb but i have a question what does the highlighted text mean is it about IGD'd ideal type or about his GF hee ji??

This throws us some light on the character. So ahn min hyuk wanted to date lots of woman . According to the character description it is said that BS becomes witness so does that point towards her knowing culprit's voice or does it relate to next episode where she is near gyong shim. I'm really confusedworry-cheetah-emoticon.gif?1302786125

@stroppyse Thank you for all the translation! Greatly appreciated!

Wow, it seems like Strong Woman Do Bong Soon is neck to neck with Defendant for the ratings :o (If it was broadcasted on one of the big broadcasting companies...) They are doing great so far with only four episodes out! ^^ I know their ratings will continue to increase :D 

Archived