[ Drama 2016] The K2 더 케이투

MindfulL

It looks like Yoona was looking forward to the challenge of having an antiheroine role for K2. Me too! I watched this drama to see a new side to her and was really excited about the synopsis. But they dumped it...? Did they decide that it was too risky? So they decide to play it safe? It was different to start but Anna ended up being portrayed in the bright manner that Yoona is known for. Anna has a traumatic past but never let it define her and displays exemplary heroic attributes like complete selflessness and bravery. They also paired Anna with an equally heroic character and changed a sad ending to a happy one. I guess it's not so bad since those are the roles that made me like her. Ah but I feel conflicted because Anna's character lack of experience and need to protect her character's innocence meant she could not do a whole lot in this drama. It would have been fun to see her doing something that would ultimately be different! I really love the scenes of Jeha and Anna together though :wub:

Also really surprised at how captivating actress Song Yoona is. She was so great as YJ! The character YJ had a lot of antiheroine potential. Amazing Grace made me think of her character as it's a song about forgiveness and redemption: to be once blind as a wretch but now see the light. But I believe keeping her as a villain was the right move as something like this would have meant even more focus on her character. She was already stealing the spotlight so much as the villain lol! If she was the main lady lead of a drama, I could sooooo see how she would gradually be redeemed and grow closer with the male lead. Is that why most YJ fans like her? I don't blame if that's the case as it's kind of role I want to see Yoona in one day hehe.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL on a not so sour grapes and butt hurt super sensitive note:

Spain BTS:wub:

CxmQv72UsAAMqO2.jpg

That casual hand of hers on his thigh and his wrapped tight around hers. :wub: Imagine we could have gotten these more if not for the redundant political villain and vamp scenes.

Also people who want to take digs at me and my "horrified" feelings, please feel free to bravely PM me with your grievances/hate instead of being indirect. Let's be mature here and keep this topic clean. :D If you have the time to take a dig at me here then you have the time to PM me with the same.

We cannot deny that both our male n female lead (jcw n yoona) really disappointed that their love story was not develop well because too many political plot, cloud 9 storyline n such. even Anna'S dad dissappointed that he cannot really show a father's love thru his character. its all the flaw of the writing. the inbalance character development left many of thecasts disapointed. 

@YourHighness . agree with you, if theydo no have too many YJ screentime we canhave more and more sweet scenes like that. N it is proven that both uri changwook n yoona wants more romantic scene. i am so surprised that Barcelona Kiss was only shot by 1 cameraman using dslr n one PD. no lighting, boom, jimyjib what so ever. i believe the other visitors there didn't realize that they were shooting a drama.

1 hour ago, liltash85 said:

We cannot deny that both our male n female lead (jcw n yoona) really disappointed that their love story was not develop well because too many political plot, cloud 9 storyline n such. even Anna'S dad dissappointed that he cannot really show a father's love thru his character. its all the flaw of the writing. the inbalance character development left many of thecasts disapointed. 

@YourHighness . agree with you, if theydo no have too many YJ screentime we canhave more and more sweet scenes like that. N it is proven that both uri changwook n yoona wants more romantic scene. i am so surprised that Barcelona Kiss was only shot by 1 cameraman using dslr n one PD. no lighting, boom, jimyjib what so ever. i believe the other visitors there didn't realize that they were shooting a drama.

Very true. Even though what romance we did get was good. I am sure JCW, Yoona and us would have liked some more...a LOT more of it. :D

Yeah when 3 of your 4 lead characters confess their disappointment with their character development and the show, it just proves you were not a very good writer, especially since he was so redundant with what he was showing for CYJ. That time could have been so well spent on these three. I won't even touch on the side characters. I hope he will learn from his mistakes for his future project.

LOL I think the people over there may have assumed that JCW and Yoona were a couple shooting for their pre-marriage photoshoot/video that will be shared with the guest during the wedding. :lol: That's what I would have assumed.

@yourhighness I am not going take this comment to pm because when you make your sly digs at the morality of people you've never met, you aren't sharing that with those who are like-minded in pm. You keep making these comments even though people have repeatedly asked you guys to stop. Talking about 'butthurt and about sour grapes' - that doesn't bother me personally but that is not the action of someone genuinely interested in being mature or keeping a topic clean. Nobody here needs your approval to make any comment. Don't just talk the talk, lead by example and walk the walk. Feel free to bravely pm me if you'd like to reply, seeing as you're concerned about keeping the topic clean. We'll see if you can take your own medicine.

We might not all like Yoo Jin, Anna or whomever but we like enough aspects of The K2 to be here so tolerance and respect for everyone will go a long way.

2 hours ago, latigreblue said:

@yourhighness I am not going take this comment to pm because when you make your sly digs at the morality of people you've never met, you aren't sharing that with those who are like-minded in pm. You keep making these comments even though people have repeatedly asked you guys to stop. Talking about 'butthurt and about sour grapes' - that doesn't bother me personally but that is not the action of someone genuinely interested in being mature or keeping a topic clean. Nobody here needs your approval to make any comment. Don't just talk the talk, lead by example and walk the walk. Feel free to bravely pm me if you'd like to reply, seeing as you're concerned about keeping the topic clean. We'll see if you can take your own medicine.

We might not all like Yoo Jin, Anna or whomever but we like enough aspects of The K2 to be here so tolerance and respect for everyone will go a long way.

LOL..nah let's keep it public then. Sly? Not really. I am pretty clear about my comments and who they are intended for. Go read my post and see if I added the members here when I was talking about morality. Tell me if I deserved the snide comments when I clearly said it's about the commentators on DB and other sites. When I very clearly said I am glad people like that do not exist on this topic. Does that not smack of sour grapes and butt hurt feelings just because some people felt I was talking about them? They are the ones who generalize and cannot see the difference between "some people there" and "you people here". If you intend to bash me then please take the time to read my post clearly and understand it before spouting whatever you just did. Also, its true that nobody needs anybody's approval to make any comment, that's why we post our observations about the other sites here in the MT then PM-ing everyone individually because it relates to the show, that's what this topic is for.

Also, you don't need to meet people to morally or otherwise judge someone. The comments tell you who they are perfectly. Like you don't seem to know me personally but here you are judging me left, right and center.

BTW by confronting me here when I clearly asked anyone to fell free to PM me with their grievances, you clearly showed me and anyone who reads this topic your maturity. So can I take my own medicine? Clearly I can. You on the other hand....

And since you wanted me to bravely PM you to continue. I have... because you know I don't just talk the talk but also walk the walk. Also if it didn't bother you personally you wouldn't have publicly tried to shame me but instead you would have PMed me like I'd asked, to hash out everything. So let's see if you can walk the walk and not just talk the talk through PM.

Ah, tolerance and respect... that's rich coming and I agree, but I am the one who is being indirectly mocked and attacked for sharing my POV. I wouldn't say I am a victim because I am not but that's not very tolerant and respectable.

Let's try to get on shall we, since the show has ended and we will all be moving on soon.

One thing that was bothering me when Anna goes back to the house and is discovered to be LaFelt's angel. I found the attempted assassination of Anna and Yoo Jin revealing her connection to her to be handled quite poorly. I could not understand how she expected to explain away the killing of a young woman with international connections in front of so many witnesses. It was a real paradox, she intended to kill Anna to protect the Assemblyman's career and political aspirations but if she did kill Anna, would her father have just hung around to continue pursuing his ambitions? No.

And now hopefully back to the show discussion.

Aww..JB loved the climax episodes of TheK2.

javabeans

Currently recapping: Legend of the Blue Sea

about_jb1.jpg

The K2: I tuned in to the last two episodes expecting a mess or a joke, but I actually found them to be pretty exciting, with a finale full of action, twists, character moments, and even poignancy. Of course, some plot points veered on absurd, and the politics and the shadowy consortium felt cartoonish. But because it was packed with character motivations, I was still pulled along as we came to the big climax. It made me disappointed that the rest of the show wasn’t like that; the first and last several episodes felt a cut above the rest. I do feel like there was a good drama in The K2… somewhere… It just suffocated under tons of filler, excess, and Subway ads.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/11/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-26/

A BIG YES to the underlined sentences.

I've edited my post. If people feel that they're entitled to a POV of that nature then there's nothing I would say about that.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this board in a positive way about this interesting show. I really enjoyed reading your posts. Take care and see you on the next board.

Ji Chang-wook says shooting action-packed “The K2” was not easy

음성듣기

650enter.jpg
Actor Ji Chang-wook poses before the interview at a cafe in Seoul, Tuesday. / Yonhap

By Park Jin-hai

"The K2," an action romance blockbuster on the local cable channel tvN, aired its final episode last week, garnering an impressive 5.5 percent viewership. A viewers rating of 3 percent or above is considered a success on a cable network.

Through the 16-episode drama, actor Ji Chang-wook in the main title role of a former solider called "K2" has been the center of attention. Along with highly skilled and eye-pleasing action scenes, Ji brought viewers into the beautiful romance with his love interest An-na played by singer-actress Yoona of Girls' Generation. Playing Je-ja, a hired bodyguard for presidential candidate's wife Yoo-jin, Ji maintains tight psychological tension with the presidential candidate's wife played by Song Yoon-ah who develops a selfish and possessive affection for him.

"Physically, I'm comfortable now since I am done with the script. But some regrets linger. I think what it would be like if the K2 had been made into 20-episdes, instead of 16," said Ji during a recent interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in central Seoul, Tuesday. "In terms of the storyline, I wished there had been more scenes to make it more relevant and closely-binding. I thought that if things like, how Je-ha has developed his love for An-na, his relationship with Yoo-jin and his previous life, had been included, it would have been better."

Shooting an action-packed drama was a great challenge he said.

"Making a full action blockbuster in 16 episodes wasn't easy. I was pressed for time and had to cut out some of the repetitive action scenes of the original script that might have appeared to be boring," said the 29-year-old actor. "I tried to show various moves but it was hard to do in the limited time and place."

Below is an excerpt of the interview.

Q: K2 initially publicized that it adopted a ‘Matrix' filming technique. But it seems it didn't stand out as intended.

A: It is called a 4DX technique and it took considerable time to prepare — more than we expected. It takes 120 cameras surrounding the shooting site and these to align with lighting accordingly. We shot one scene in that way, but personally I thought it wasn't that effective, considering the amount of time and preparation we poured into the scene.

Q: You are a rising hallyu star along with Kim Su-hyun and Song Jung-ki in China. The latest action drama "The Whirlwind Girl 2" has been very successful. Are there different criteria in choosing a local project or one for overseas?

A: I heard that the drama topped the viewership ratings while it was being broadcasted. The elements I consider in choosing the next project are three things; if it has a great script, attractive character or if it is in a field in which I can really excel. The criteria are no different if it is a local or an international project.

Q: The independent film you starred in was invited to a film festival and an entertainment agency picked you up. You started your acting career quite effortlessly, I think. Compared with your early days, the way you look at acting must have changed.

A: I entered the business easily and had moments when acting felt really difficult. Now I feel that I am beginning to know what acting is about — analyzing and finding ways to establish the character — acting is really fun and I am thrilled in seeking something new.

Q: Which project allowed you to first experience the joy of acting?

A: The one that made me really think about acting was the KBS drama "Smile Again." Although it did well with viewer ratings and was considered the project in which I gained some recognition, filming the drama was really difficult.

I was directed to correct my ways of acting and when I actually finished the scenes and monitored them at home, I was frustrated because the outcome wasn't quite what I had intended. I thought that I lacked talent at the time.

"Bachelor's Vegetable Store" was the opposite. Initially all the staff was really depressed since the drama was doing poorly in viewer ratings. As the actor in the title role, I gave deep thought about my responsibility and concluded that if the response from the viewers could not be reversed by one or two actors, the shooting process should at least be fun, so that I could recall it with fond memories.

Q: You haven't done many films yet, except for independent movies.

A: Since last summer I've been working on a crime action film "Fabricated City." I'm extremely excited since it will be the first commercial movie in which I play the title role. I heard that it will be released around February. Shooting the movie wasn't easy though because I think I believed that the way to act for a movie and for a drama are different. They are not.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/common/vpage-pt.asp?categorycode=201&newsidx=218528

12 hours ago, latigreblue said:

One thing that was bothering me when Anna goes back to the house and is discovered to be LaFelt's angel. I found the attempted assassination of Anna and Yoo Jin revealing her connection to her to be handled quite poorly. I could not understand how she expected to explain away the killing of a young woman with international connections in front of so many witnesses. It was a real paradox, she intended to kill Anna to protect the Assemblyman's career and political aspirations but if she did kill Anna, would her father have just hung around to continue pursuing his ambitions? No.

Totally afree on this, CYJ was supposed to be a smart person, but THIS, well one of many other plotholes

There’s more to come from Ji Chang-wook

by awcoconuts | November 19, 2016 | 51 Comments

jk7.jpg

Many have called The K2 a career-defining project for its star, Ji Chang-wook, but the 29-year-old would beg to differ. Indeed, he ran his body ragged for the role of a war mercenary turned into a bodyguard-for-hire, learning Korean, Russian, Japanese and Brazilian martial arts techniques and performing his own stunts, but Ji refuses to consider the moderately successful tvN drama a lifetime achievement.

The role of Kim Je-ha demanded a lot from him, and not just physically: He was in a constant battle of wills with veteran actress Song Yoon-ah, who played Choi Yoo-jin, the presidential candidate’s wife he was hired to protect, and had a melodramatic loveline with Yoon-ah, who took on the role of Go Anna, a lonely, abandoned young woman who grew up isolated from society.

“I really enjoyed working with the two Yoon-ahs. Both characters were so different and that made it even more enjoyable. With Yoo-jin, I always had to stay on my toes and we had a battle of wills. It was fun because we were playing mind games, whereas my scenes with Anna were looser. They felt like scenes from a rom-com. We had a lot of fun developing the scenes on set.”

Ji’s fight sequences and display of physicality for The K2 were much buzzed about, with the action scenes flying so fast and furious that many critics described them as being of a different caliber than previously seen in domestic dramas. Understandably, he’s sworn off action for the time being.

“Men have this romantic idea and fantasize about the action genre. It was really fun, but also really challenging. You could say I have a love/hate relationship with action. I don’t want to do it because it’s so hard, but I also feel like I’ve become a man, and it looks cool. I won’t do action for the time being, but I’ll probably consider it more carefully in the future.”

He described the now infamous bathhouse scene as the most memorable.

“It was a scene I filmed wearing just one nude-colored layer, and I was so embarrassed. It was the sequence I was most concerned about because I worried viewers might be repulsed by the scene, and I also worried about exposure. However, the director did a great job of capturing the sequence and I realized my fears were unfounded. Throughout the 16 episodes, I often had to reveal my body for the character so I constantly worked out. In terms of physical requirements, it wasn’t an easy project.”

There were aspects of the ending that were both happy and sad, and he thought The K2‘s ending, although a surprise to him—he and many viewers thought it would conclude differently, and he had to change his approach after receiving the script for the final episode—was portrayed beautifully.

“Outside of this project, I personally favor sad endings. They leave lingering imagery in the heart and I gain a sense of catharsis from the sadness you feel when things don’t work out perfectly at the end.”

“Every time a project ends I have mixed feelings of refreshment and sadness. I wondered what it would have been like if The K2 had been 20 episodes instead of 16. In episodes 15 and 16 I painted on blood and ran around sweating. I’m grateful now that my body is able to relax but there are many things I’ll miss.”

He also expressed mixed feelings about enlisting next year for mandatory military service, admitting that he is simultaneously looking forward to it and worried.

“On the plus side, I’ll meet a lot of creative-minded same-aged friends, but my concern is that I’ll be assigned a superior officer who is younger than me.” Ji reassured the press, “I think I’ll be calmer than one would think and that I’ll be able to turn [my service] into an enjoyable experience.”

Ji’s been in sageuk dramas (Empress Ki, Warrior Baek Dong-soo) and has had some iconic roles in Healer and Smile, Dong-hae. We haven’t seen as much of him in film, but he was optimistic.

“The fact that I haven’t taken on that many characters in the past means that I have many characters to show viewers in the future. I want to try rom-com, and I want to take a role in a thriller. I have a feeling I can do well in various genres. At a certain point [in my career], I began to think positively. I have to think that way in order for work to go well.

“There are some reviews that [The K2] was the project of a lifetime, but I don’t think that way. I haven’t shown you everything. The future is more enticing and exciting and new.” Ji went on, “I haven’t finished living my life, so my career as an actor and my lifetime achievement are still works-in-progress.”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/11/theres-more-to-come-from-ji-chang-wook/

Girls’ Generation’s YoonA Talks About How “The K2” Changed Her Perception Of Acting

YoonA Girls Generation

In a recent interview, Girls’ Generation member YoonA, who previously starred as Anna in tvN’s “The K2,” looked back on her growth as an actress.

During the interview, YoonA shared how she wanted to be known as an actress in dramas and a Girls’ Generation member on stage. But due to familiarity of her group, she became accustomed to the notion of others viewing her as “the Girls’ Generation member who is acting.”

YoonA revealed, “I worried a lot because the first thing people think of is my bright image. I pondered on whether or not I should develop it or try a totally different image. I couldn’t decide. Because I was always worried about the response, I was scared to try out new things. I can’t deny that this fear was also influenced by the prejudices that idol groups face.”

Following the conclusion of the 2014 drama “The Prime Minister is Dating,” YoonA took a break from acting and was wrought with anxiety. However, she also watched others act around her and desired their roles.

“Even now,” she said, “I don’t feel like I am completely free from the eyes of those who watch me. But I decided to tell myself that I wouldn’t worry about them and just look within myself. Isn’t it the actor’s job to try different and diverse roles?”

Girls Generation YoonA

When YoonA came across her role for “The K2,” she saw that the character was different than the ones she had done before. It was not a bright and cheerful image, but a dark and sad role.

She then described filming a screaming scene for the first episode, saying, “I don’t even remember what we filmed because I was so exhausted by the end. I usually don’t have any reason to scream, so I was unsure how to do the scene. I just did it blindly. We filmed it about ten times and by the end, I was sweating profusely.”

She also spoke of her appreciation for her colleagues, saying, “I received a lot of energy from being with everyone on set. I learned so much from watching the other actors. I think my perspective on acting has changed. Acting has become more fun for me, and my curiosity about it has grown. I’m looking forward to my next role.”

YoonA revealed her desire to continue acting despite the public’s views, saying, “I don’t want to purposely try to break away from that label. I want to be seen as an actress naturally, and I will continue to do my best and not be scared.”

What kind of role do you want to see YoonA in next?

http://www.soompi.com/2016/11/19/girls-generations-yoona-talks-k2-changed-perception-acting/

BTW did Yoona win anything for The K2  while attending the AAA? anyway she looked gorgeous I like her style there

CxemdSMVIAAotxr.jpg

Spoiler

CxemfrWUcAAnxnx.jpg

CxricAWUsAAeVgp.jpg

(Yonhap Interview) Singer-actor Im Yoona says 'The K2' helps change her image on small screen

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/search1/2603000000.html?cid=AEN20161116004600315

By Woo Jae-yeon and Lee Woong 

SEOUL, Nov. 16 (Yonhap) -- Actress Im Yoona, better known as Yoona of girl group Girls' Generation, is one of a few K-pop idols with a successful acting career. 

She has just finished her latest TV series "The K2" on the cable channel tvN in which she played the role of a recluse, marking a departure from her previous characters. 

"I took the role mainly because I wanted to do something different. In that sense, I can say I achieved my goal," she said in an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Tuesday at S.M. Communication Center in southern Seoul. The center is run by her agency S.M. Entertainment. 

AEN20161116004600315_04_i.jpg

But she had her share of regrets about her performance. 

"There are many scenes that I think I could have done better. While I was acting, I thought I gave it my all. But when I reviewed it, I was not really satisfied." 

She wanted to push the boundary of her acting by taking on a role that people don't usually associated with her, she said. 

"I mostly played candy-like characters who are bright, optimistic and never give up. I was attracted to An-na because she was very different from my previous roles." 

Her character Ko An-na is the secret daughter of a strong presidential candidate. A loner who blames herself for her mother's death, she lives an isolated life in Spain for 10 years but slowly opens up to her bodyguard Kim Je-ha (Ji Chang-wook) and falls in love with him. 

As one of her best scenes, she cited reuniting with her father (Cho Sung-ha) whom she had missed dearly in a hospital ward. 

"When we shot the scene, I cried my eyes out so much so that my swollen eyes were so obvious on TV," she said. 

AEN20161116004600315_02_i.jpg

On the romantic side of the drama, it would have been better if there had been more sweet, romantic scenes between An-na and Je-ha, the actress said. 

The last kiss scene between the two turned out to be much better than she had expected. 

"At the time of the shoot (of the kiss scene), it had been barely a week since we met each other. I was so worried if the awkwardness between us was visually palpable. So I was relieved that people told me it looked natural," she said. 

For the scene, the producer encouraged her to get to know Ji better through small talk about anything from hobbies to careers. 

"He gave me a lot of supportive messages and tried to humor me," she said, expressing her gratitude also for his role which she thought was very important for the drama's success. 

Thanks to "The K2," Im believes she has taken a leap forward and opened a new chapter in her acting career. 

"Compared to the past, now I've got more passion about acting. Working with more experienced actors, I received a lot of positive energy from them, which I think helped broaden my horizons," she said. 

AEN20161116004600315_03_i.jpg

11 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Wow such great articles. Love how these two cannot stop praising each other and all the seniors. BTW is this the trend in SK? Why do the actors give interviews after the drama is done airing and not during to create more buzz?

Because it's not Hollywood here.  It's been a long-standing tradition in South Korea to interview the actors after a show has ended, because during the drama they are still filming and cannot spare the time to sit down and speak with each and every news agency that wants a piece of them.  Their agencies absolutely forbid it as well.  And most Korean fans don't really care to hear from the stars until after a project is completed, when the actors can sit and reflect on the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of the drama just finished.  That makes for a better reading process for sure.

Saying that, a new process has begun in recent years where a mid-drama press conference is called for the reporters to get all their questions out in the open at that time.  IMHO, I find that procedure a massive waste of time, as the actors are still in "trying to figure out their characters" mode (unless the drama is pre-produced) and they're searching for answers to questions asked about an uncompleted show.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

4 hours ago, cherkell said:

Because it's not Hollywood here.  It's been a long-standing tradition in South Korea to interview the actors after a show has ended, because during the drama they are still filming and cannot spare the time to sit down and speak with each and every news agency that wants a piece of them.  Their agencies absolutely forbid it as well.  And most Korean fans don't really care to hear from the stars until after a project is completed, when the actors can sit and reflect on the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of the drama just finished.  That makes for a better reading process for sure.

Saying that, a new process has begun in recent years where a mid-drama press conference is called for the reporters to get all their questions out in the open at that time.  IMHO, I find that procedure a massive waste of time, as the actors are still in "trying to figure out their characters" mode (unless the drama is pre-produced) and they're searching for answers to questions asked about an uncompleted show.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Archived