MindfulL

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ji on action, romance and comedy

Because he is paid, he says, he doesn’t take a role if he isn’t confident

Nov 19,2016

18193428.jpg
  Actor Ji Chang-wook starred as the protagonist Jae-ha in tvN’s action drama series “The K2,” which aired its final episode earlier this month. [KWON HYUK-JAE]

In tvN’s action thriller “The K2,” which ended earlier this month, actor Ji Chang-wook won the hearts of many viewers. But after going through months of rigorous shooting, Ji now hopes to take a shot at other genres.

“Male actors generally imagine themselves starring in action scenes at least once in their lifetime,” says Ji during an interview with the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily.

“When I was young, I enjoyed watching the film ‘Fist of Fury’ [a 1972 martial arts film starring Bruce Lee]. I’ve always liked engaging in manly activities, but if I do another action piece, I think both viewers and myself might grow tired of it.”

In the drama, Ji plays the role of Jae-ha, a bodyguard who protects two women, Anna and Yoo-jin, who are in a hostile relationship.

One of the main action scenes in the piece involves a fight between Jae-ha and numerous other men in the nude.

“The scene was taken on the first day of shooting,” says Ji. “I was worried that it would look a bit grotesque, but the scene turned out to be quite natural. The director had originally intended to make it a comical scene, but changed his mind on the spot and decided to make it look fancy.”

Other than thrillers, Ji mentioned that he would also like to take part in romantic comedy pieces.

“Many people asked me how I felt about appearing in romantic comedies,” says Ji. “It’s surely a new genre for me, so I think I’d feel a bit nervous. What worries me is the ‘comedy’ part. I reckon it wouldn’t be easy to make people laugh without using slapstick humor.”

The two female roles of Anna and Yu-jin were each taken by singer-actor Yoona from Girls’ Generation and actor Song Yun-ah.

“The relationship between the characters, especially Yoo-jin and Jae-ha, was quite interesting,” says Ji. “Yoo-jin wanted to conquer Jae-ha’s heart, but all he felt for her was pity and sympathy. For him, Yoo-jin was nothing more than a friend or a business partner.

I would also call it both love and hate because he wasn’t definite in showing his feelings. It was like a tug-of-war, skipping between the boundaries of two conflicting sentiments.”

Ji added that acting with the two actresses was quite different.

“Many scenes I took with Song had a tense atmosphere,” says Ji. “It almost felt like I was having this mental fight with her. I was so nervous that sometimes, when I tried to concentrate, I felt exhausted. But there were many more comfortable and sweet scenes with Yoona.”

Apart from his script and character, Ji puts a lot of emphasis on confidence when choosing whether to appear in a piece or not.

“No matter how captivating the story and character might be,” he says, “it worries me when I’m not sure if I could perform the role well, since I get paid for doing it.”

BY LEE HOO-NAM [shon.jihye@joongang.co.kr]

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3026395

Ji Chang Wook Talks Career Low And “Action Drama Expert” Status

ji chang wook k2 action scene

It seems that Ji Chang Wook has enjoyed a steady rise to fame, starting from his debut in “Smile Donghae” six years ago. The actor has since took up roles in a variety of productions, ranging from period dramas to miniseries to musicals, each of which was a firm step towards his current Hallyu star status.

Yet, in a recent interview, Ji Chang Wook revealed that the road to glory did not run smooth. He said that his lack of talent during his “Smile Donghae” days had made him doubt if he could continue acting, but thanks to support from the people around him, he managed to pull through. The second low was in 2012, where he received no casting calls for a period time after his weekend drama “Five Fingers” ended.

The actor said that it wasn’t until “Empress Ki” and “Healer” that his popularity finally took off. He explained that he had simply decided to enjoy the production process, rather than dwelling on his skills. “Empress Ki” and “Healer” were so well-received in China that he was ranked first place in a survey on the most popular Hallyu stars in the country.

Starting from “Warrior Baek Dong Soo” to the recent “The K2,” Ji Chang Wook has appeared in action dramas more often than any of his peers, earning him the nickname “Action Drama Expert.” The actor replied that he really doesn’t have any action know-how, he just rehearses a lot and makes sure to focus during action scenes, especially because the possibility of getting hurt is high. He also revealed that while he has always been sporty, he has been working out regularly ever since he hit his late twenties, so as to avoid getting hurt while filming.

The 29-year-old also talked about his impending military enlistment next year. He sees it as a different kind of challenge, and hopes that after he is older, he can become a respected senior to his juniors.

He said, “If I continue to enjoy acting as I do now, tirelessly and happily, won’t that bring me slightly closer to that goal?”

http://www.soompi.com/2016/11/21/ji-chang-wook-talks-career-low-action-drama-expert-status/

On 11/21/2016 at 8:32 AM, MindfulL said:

Blank spaces in the script by the scriptwriter ... So they had to make up the whole conversation? cr:Hansum

Cxy2MyGUQAAjiZi.jpg

Wow! Just "rooftop kiss"...

I think @julie721 theory was right... I don't think the writer originally intended there to be an Anna character.

That is probably why the characterization of Anna promised in the synopsis, "use love as revenge", was never explored and expanded on, because it was just an empty promise not backed up by actual script.. Such a complex character would take a lot of time to write. On the other hand, the innocent, damsel-in-distress, angelic archetype takes very little time and effort to write

I think it was either the director's or TvN's choice to have the character of Anna not the writer's, and it was decided quite late into pre-production, so the writer didn't have enough time to write another character whose complexities and detailed characterization were suppose to have rivaled YooJin's.

What a shame... I predicted Im Yoona's disappointment early on... I really got the feeling she wanted to go darker with Anna... but she didn't really get to do that. But at least she got valuable experience, got to work with talented seniors, and got some well-earned recognition.

8 hours ago, ReemKanabta said:

“The relationship between the characters, especially Yoo-jin and Jae-ha, was quite interesting,” says Ji. “Yoo-jin wanted to conquer Jae-ha’s heart, but all he felt for her was pity and sympathy. For him, Yoo-jin was nothing more than a friend or a business partner.

I would also call it both love and hate because he wasn’t definite in showing his feelings. It was like a tug-of-war, skipping between the boundaries of two conflicting sentiments.”

I really like getting JCW's insight into this relationship!

When watching him he acts so child-like, but when he talks about his craft, he really is detailed and mature. It kind of remind's me a little of Cate Blanchette, her intense talent and introspection juxtaposed with her natural playfulness.

Rather than a rom-com, I want Ji Chang Wook's next project to be a love story, presented through more of a subtle drama.

I recently watched the movie Arrival with Amy Adams, and it was SO GOOOOOD!!! And as someone who had studied anthropology for a time... it was really interesting for me. I recommend it to everyone!

But the love stories in that movie were so BRILLIANTLY done!! They weren't blatant, just subtle hints. And it was so satisfying, you can't even believe!

I want JCW's next project to have a love story presented in such a way, it doesn't have to be Sci-Fi, it could just be a human drama. JCW seems to really enjoy delving into the complex and imperfect emotion's his characters feel, and I think a project like that would really satisfy him!

15 minutes ago, perfectsmilebias said:

omg finally someone from the cast had the guts and said that there was a possibility that JH had some conflicting feelings, rather than just hate and annoyance like many claim. Thank you JCW for mentioning, I can rest in peace now. Also his description of JH's feelings is on point. Definitely "he wasn’t definite in showing his feelings,  It was like a tug-of-war, skipping between the boundaries of two conflicting sentiments."  Can't describe it more accurately, JCW analyzed it so perfectly.

On 11/22/2016 at 10:58 AM, anipanch said:

omg finally someone from the cast had the guts and said that there was a possibility that JH had some conflicting feelings, rather than just hate and annoyance like many claim. Thank you JCW for mentioning, I can rest in peace now. Also his description of JH's feelings is on point. Definitely "he wasn’t definite in showing his feelings,  It was like a tug-of-war, skipping between the boundaries of two conflicting sentiments."  Can't describe it more accurately, JCW analyzed it so perfectly.

YAAASSSS!!!! Of course he feels horror and even anger towards some of her actions.... but Jeha wasn't Anna. His feelings for YooJin were always more wide-ranging. Ji Chang Wook in an earlier interview said that that they was affection between the two. And truly, both actors, JCW and SYA, played that. 

Was the drama bought by Japan and China? Will the cast head there for promotions? Also didn't JCW agree to TheK2 because he loved the Ramen scene with Anna and thought it was unique? So she was there in the initial planned story too, right? I really doubt they intended an Ahjumma romance.

3 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Was the drama bought by Japan and China? Will the cast head there for promotions? Also didn't JCW agree to TheK2 because he loved the Ramen scene with Anna and thought it was unique? So she was there in the initial planned story too, right? I really doubt they intended an Ahjumma romance.

He didn't agree to it because of that scene, but he found that scene memorable when he read the script.

My theory is that the script that was given to the actors was just the first couple of episodes, and they featured Anna. I haven't read anywhere Yoona mentioning how in the script she had read featured scenarios where Anna would have more development or go darker, she just kept alluding to the description found in the synopsis saying Anna was going to use love for revenge. I truly believe that was an empty promise, that was not backed up by a script already written. In the end the writer didn't have enough time to write the complexities that kind of character would need or there was pressure from the director or tvN not to pursue that route in favor of keeping Anna a simpler damsel-in-distress.

I would even say, that the writer perhaps did not originally intend a Jehanna romance... I mean he just wrote "rooftop kiss". That shows to me a writer pressed for time and probably not inspired by a subplot he had no intention of writing to begin with. That doesn't mean he originally intended a Jeha/YooJin romance... but there is no doubt in my mind that the writer had always intended those two characters to be central in his drama... from the news and statements I'm getting from the actors... I'm not sure about Anna.

If there was originally no Anna, I theorize that original script was changed somewhere late into pre-production, aka logistics planning, musical score composing, location scoring, etc. etc. before actors were approached. 

On 11/24/2016 at 12:45 AM, perfectsmilebias said:

He didn't agree to it because of that scene, but he found that scene memorable when he read the script.

My theory is that the script that was given to the actors was just the first couple of episodes, and they featured Anna. I haven't read anywhere Yoona mentioning how in the script she had read featured scenarios where Anna would have more development or go darker, she just kept alluding to the description found in the synopsis saying Anna was going to use love for revenge. I truly believe that was an empty promise, that was not backed up by a script already written. In the end the writer didn't have enough time to write the complexities that kind of character would need or there was pressure from the director or tvN not to pursue that route in favor of keeping Anna a simpler damsel-in-distress.

I would even say, that the writer perhaps did not originally intend a Jehanna romance... I mean he just wrote "rooftop kiss". That shows to me a writer pressed for time and probably not inspired by a subplot he had no intention of writing to begin with. That doesn't mean he originally intended a Jeha/YooJin romance... but there is no doubt in my mind that the writer had always intended those two characters to be central in his drama... from the news and statements I'm getting from the actors... I'm not sure about Anna.

If there was originally no Anna, I theorize that original script was changed somewhere late into pre-production, aka logistics planning, musical score composing, location scoring, etc. etc. before actors were approached. 

I think there was some huge changes in the initial scenario. Seems like the producing team decided that it would be more profitable to include a more naive and pure character amidst of all those politically thirsty and evil people. Maybe they feared that a more dark, purely political drama wouldn't attract viewers? It's apparent that YJ was written as the female lead with her big role in all the events but adding AN created some disbalance. You get the feeling that YJ leads the drama but they are telling you otherwise. That's why the show had a very flawed plot and character developments. The production team made many changes, but failed to make it like originally intended. I'm sure there was more YJ/JH scenes, more development of their relationship. That's why it had many questions, they added the Jehanna romance, excluding the dynamics of the other couple, so we were left with holes in both relationships. I believe if they worked more on the changes they added it would've have been way better. They tried too hard, it was like they didn't know what to do with the characters or the plot. For me K2 is an example when the writer and producer can't come to an agreement.

11 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

That was one of the reason he chose it. I think among all the romantic scene only the ramyun scene was written well. 

"The relationship between the characters, especially Yoo-jin and Jae-ha, was quite interesting,” says Ji. “Yoo-jin wanted to conquer Jae-ha’s heart, but all he felt for her was pity and sympathy. For him, Yoo-jin was nothing more than a friend or a business partner. -

JCW also mentioned that there's no love on Jeha's side. Its only pity and sympathy. He is clear about Jeha's feeling. The tig of war thing is about his feeling of pity for yoojin n trying to understand her but YooJin keep doing evil deeds that is against Jeha's moral. That is why he cant keep with her wave. 

8 hours ago, perfectsmilebias said:

There was no Anna?

Anna was in the original sypnopsis and infact the production approached Yoona first before the other cast. She declined it at first coz she supposed to have schedule in China. But when her chinese drama is cancelled, the production approach her again n she accept it. Even befor JCW agree to do this drama there is a character of presidential candidate daughter. Anna may not be the central female character but her character is there from start not just simple a last minute add up character.

8 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

There was no Anna?

Anna was in the original sypnopsis and infact the production approached Yoona first before the other cast. She declined it at first coz she supposed to have schedule in China. But when her chinese drama is cancelled, the production approach her again n she accept it. Even befor JCW agree to do this drama there is a character of presidential candidate daughter. Anna may not be the central female character but her character is there from start not just simple a last minute add up character.

well we're just speculating. But the fact that the scenerio went under huge changes is without a doubt true. There were many news after the drama ended. One of them was the finale change. I've posted before, it wad JH dying. Honestly i would like to see the original script very much, I think it makes much more sense and is well-written.

As for Yoona, I believe she was uproached for the popularity purpose  rather then for her acting abilities (although she showed a lot as an actress, I'm not saying she is untalanted).  Her appearance helped the drama with ratings 

25 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

There was no Anna?

Agree with you. You see Anna was really there BUT the writer was indeed lazy. The ONLY character that was the most developed was YJ's. Other than her character, the other characters suffered tremendously. JH, Anna, SJ, and everyone else. JCW also said this that the script is like: "Rooftop. Kiss." That's it. SJ and Anna's relationship was also not explored deeply. That is why JCW and Yoona keeps on saying and even JSH. JSH even lamented that his relationship w/ Anna was not explored. The synopsis given to them was not followed. We all know and Yoona know that her character was supposed to use JH to get her revenge BUT that did not happen. That is why knetz and inetz were demanding an apology from the writer because whatever was given to them was not followed by the writer. 

Regardless, I am glad JCW, Yoona and PD-nim were able to make theK2 a success despite this problem. And I am so happy with the ending. Like so happy. GOOD JOB to the casts and PD for doing a GOOD JOB on their own roles. And good job to JCW and Yoona for an amazing teamwork! Every JehAnna moments touched me in so many ways. Like my heart is still fluttering as ever even as of now! :wub: 

Oh right about Yoona. She is indeed popular. She might have helped in her ratings. But she is an ACTRESS too. Started her acting career way back in 2007. Casting a POPULAR ACTRESS would definitely be a plus for a drama right? (Just like Joo Won and Kim Tae Hee in Yong Pal) In K2, we have JCW and Yoona.

And oh, I don't agree with Yoona being casted just because of the ratings hahahah it seems to me that Yoona is perfect for Anna's role. Well, that's just me, of course.

I am still traumatised by the writer. I mean like if the casts are not good and professionals, what would happen to the drama? I am still having withdrawals from my JehAnna but I think I can now lay the drama down into rest. I've had enough of speculations and brooding over theK2 and all since it has finally ended. I will definitely watch the drama again as it is and enjoy the brilliance of the actors and PD-nim.  And of course, I got my happy ending anyway hahahahahhahahahahha.... A happy ending that can never be changed. 

I am anticipating Goblin. It looks interesting! And oh how I love Oh My Geum Bi too! :)

What are you guys watching now?

Same goes for JCW/Yoona couple, they promoted the drama. And of course people were curious to see those two's kissing scenes, because they are popular, beautiful, young. But in reality the drama focused very little on their relationship and romance. That's a marketing trick for you, they show things differently to attract the viewers but the reality is different

14 minutes ago, meh2222 said:

Agree with you. You see Anna was really there BUT the writer was indeed lazy. The ONLY character that was the most developed was YJ's. Other than her character, the other characters suffered tremendously. JH, Anna, SJ, and everyone else. JCW also said this that the script is like: "Rooftop. Kiss." That's it. SJ and Anna's relationship was also not explored deeply. That is why JCW and Yoona keeps on saying and even JSH. JSH even lamented that his relationship w/ Anna was not explored. The synopsis given to them was not followed. We all know and Yoona know that her character was supposed to use JH to get her revenge BUT that did not happen. That is why knetz and inetz were demanding an apology from the writer because whatever was given to them was not followed by the writer. 

Regardless, I am glad JCW, Yoona and PD-nim were able to make theK2 a success despite this problem. And I am so happy with the ending. Like so happy. GOOD JOB to the casts and PD for doing a GOOD JOB on their own roles. And good job to JCW and Yoona for an amazing teamwork! Every JehAnna moments touched me in so many ways. Like my heart is still fluttering as ever even as of now! :wub: 

I am not surprised. This writer has make YongPal turn disastrous. Tho YongPal suppose to be the main but his character was nothing more than a connector to other characters. And i can see parallel between this 2 dramas n characters. 

In YongPal, YongPal turn to accept the position of the doctor atvthe special wing coz he need to safe his suck sister. He has no choice. Just like Jeha, he needs to accept Yoojin's offer because je needs new identity for his revenge. The evil in YongPal also is a woman (kim taehee SIL) but in YongPal initially she is not that obvious as evil. Same as YJ, she hasnt get the live from the husband so she turn her interests in YongPal and offered him many helps but that is all to her interest. She wants both the company n the guy. N they tried to make Anna char like kim taehee. Using the hero for revenge. But in YongPal the writer manage to make kim taehee like that but in k2 he Failed. 

I think JCW, PD n Yoona is trying to get a more believable storyline. N if you see how lacking the script is you know the director just dont know how to elaborate. That is why JCW suggest the walkie talkie scene. He wants to make Jeha-Anna relationship more believable. The walkie talkie scene indirectly like a confession between them before it firm up during the blanket kiss. If that scene is not there, viewers will feel more dissppointed about Jeha-Anna relationship arc. 

The writer just simply said that JH love for Anna is pity love but JCW strongly denied it. He explained that the live JH has for Anna is mutual n need no reason. N he potrayed it well during all those scenes. The actors esp JCW n YA took alot of effort to adlib to make this drama is more believable. As an actor, he knew what is best in a script and he is responsible to convey it to audience. 

N one more thing i think this writer has an obsession to turn fairytale into another dimension. Like from the evil POV but failed. YongPal (sleeping beauty) and k2 (snow white). There's a reason why those fairytale storyline remains coz you can never undo fairytale from another POV. 

12 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

JCW, himself, said it in the interview. What JH feels toward YJ is "DEFINITELY NOT LOVE." So nahhh... no ahjumma romance of course... Hahahahah.. :)

8 hours ago, perfectsmilebias said:

All stories start with a very rough draft or an idea of the story. Writers polish and better the story as they go to fit the characters/show. Generally a story starts with the genre, then the protagonist, then his/her hero or heroine, then the villains and the connection through which the leads are connection to the vamp/villain. And I am really sorry to burst your bubble but no writer(not talking about Hollywood shows here) will even dare to have a female lead who is basically a monster. Morality is a huge part of Asian and especially Korean culture. The leads are always stand up guys with principles and even if they flirt with the boundary with a little grey/black in their character(case in point JH himself), they won't be murderers of innocent people without being almost crippled with guilt. YJ herself accepted herself as a monster and SYA herself said that she accepted the role even after being told that CYJ is basically an evil witch in the story. So really trying to make her the heroine of the story and turning it into a JH-YJ story does not work. Murderers never get a happy ever after or redemption.

And some writers especially males are not very good with romance, as we saw from this writers previous works. So I really doubt Jehanna romance was a subplot he never intended to write. The fact that the actors got the script with Anna included in it and the ramen scene(the start of the romance between Jehanna) proves she was not a late addition but planned and as I've proven before the reason, why the show/story existed in the first place.

Yeah the big bad of the show and the hero are always central to the show. The vamps deeds are always what drives the plot forward. What makes the hero and the heroine suffer and take actions. But the problem is that some of the audience misunderstood the relationship between YJ and JH. The vamps feelings for the hero never matter to him, it's always a plot device, but due to some flux, it mattered to some fans.

The writer concentrated on the same redundant political game instead of concentrating and using that time to flesh out the other three leads of the show. Even JCW, when he WAS The K2. No wonder all of them are shading the writer and being vocal about their disappointment.

Also, the story is always, always fleshed out before the musical score, songs, locations are worked upon. All these things take a lot of money, the production never shells out money when it can easily go to waste(And they are not cheap) due to a simple change in the story/characters. Also, no channel or director can change the character graph is it fits the character. Anna turning a little grey was changed to show that she is the stronger and better person. To show that not everybody becomes a monster. Some people choose not be one, even if faced with a lot of power in exchange of being one. To show the difference between a vamp and a heroine and their choice. And not as you put it to make her into a simpler damsel in distress. Damsels in distress do not rebel or learn to face their fears and advance by leaps and bounds as we saw Anna do in such a short time.

Anna could have easily ended up cowering in the corner after the trauma she experienced. Afraid of every shadow or noise but she didn't. She rebelled, she fought off her highly trained guards, she ran even though the biggest help(police) that she would have depended on was against her, she tried to find ways to fight very powerful people, to find her dad, to find out what happened to her mom, to punish the murderer of her mom. I dunno what your definition of a damsel in distress is but that is not a damsel in distress in my book.

Archived