[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Novoland: The Castle In Sky 九州·天空城

sugarplum892

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2016 at 0:07 AM, creidesca said:

Saw on the Tencent QQ site that an episode 28A and 28B is available to VIP members right now.

edit: They now made those 2 epis EP 30 and 31!

From responses on weibo, seems a lot of satisfaction compared to the ending they saw last week.

I'm now confuse, so there is a total of alt 3 ending? 28 - the tragic ending, then missing  29 and then 30 and 31?

So, I keep hearing different news about the number of of total episodes between Tencent and those shown on regular TV.

So how many new episodes total are or will be available to VIP members and how many total will be from those shown to everybody (TV)?

Also, has anyone heard anything about the possibility of the second season and if the two main lead will be returning? 

I won't mind a second season set in novoland with the same main cast even if they change the story

I think it was only the 1 alternative ending episode, but the way Tencent had it up confused people. Because on weibo, when EP 28A and 28B were posted on Tencent, the drama's weibo only posted the link for EP28B the alternative ending. Other new things on VIP were the 2 new documentaries (1 for Wed and 1 for Thurs) which only VIP ever got access to for a total of 14 documentary episodes (don't think these ever got leaked for download, only saw screen caps posted). Then soon after that EP 28A and EP28B got changed to 30 and 31. I think they were anticipating releasing the alternative ending for regular viewers so that's why they skipped the number for EP 29. And today, those 2 epis got changed to EP 28 (天空城虐心版结局) and EP29 (天空城隐藏结局)

20 hours ago, creidesca said:

Yay! I finally got to see the alternative ending. Tencent QQ posted it as EP 29 for all viewers to see, made EP 28 (the tragic ending one) the only one accessible to VIP members. So total 29 epis!

not sure when or if any, possibly should the drama gets bought by another country to air?

Are you satisfied? I know you are a fan so if you are I would be happy ! I still haven't watched it yet as Tencent in my region is only for VIP subscribers. Waiting for it to come on maplestage.com - any other websites ? 

On 9/2/2016 at 7:16 AM, lizzieyen said:

I still haven't watched it yet as Tencent in my region is only for VIP subscribers. Waiting for it to come on maplestage.com - any other websites ? 

I provided the alternative ending to @tompark at viki, but because tompark doesn't know who I am, I have to reup the file since he/she is afraid there might be a virus in the .rar file I uploaded. Oh well, will take longer to upload a single 400+mb file as opposed to 4 100mb+ files. I chose not to up it to youtube or dailymotion so that the Viki channel would be the only other online source to view the alternative ending episode for as long as possible.

@Farah Evana EP 29 is now up at Viki, but has yet to be subbed. Portion of EP 29 starts out the same as EP 28 (and on the video file, has it as EP 28...I guess that's why when it was available first to VIP there was a link for EP 28A and 28B before Tencent changed the link to 30 and 31, then back to 28 and 29)

15 hours ago, Farah Evana said:

Thanks @creidesca, it's okay, I don't need sub as I can understand mandarin, I just can't read the Chinese character. 

Edit: Video is unavailable again, I think someone reported and got it removed. 

Do you have the direct download link? Gonna try d/l it myself.

@Farah Evana EP 29 is there on viki. And now it's even fully subbed. I was able to access it and the epi started.

6 hours ago, pristineqi said:

Hmmm ... there's no dedicated thread for ZRY here in Soompi :frown:

@pristineqiI can make a thread for him if you wish unless someone already did.

On 9/3/2016 at 4:13 PM, creidesca said:

@Farah Evana EP 29 is now up at Viki, but has yet to be subbed. Portion of EP 29 starts out the same as EP 28 (and on the video file, has it as EP 28...I guess that's why when it was available first to VIP there was a link for EP 28A and 28B before Tencent changed the link to 30 and 31, then back to 28 and 29)

Thanks for sharing the update about the alternative ending being available! Just watched it and I must say it feels weird watching it after going through all that sadness watching ep 28 XD Just feels surreal and unreal. I feel like I was more moved by the Ep 28 ending than this alternative one haha. Maybe that's just me. 

1 hour ago, elliezsnow said:

Thanks for sharing the update about the alternative ending being available! Just watched it and I must say it feels weird watching it after going through all that sadness watching ep 28 XD Just feels surreal and unreal. I feel like I was more moved by the Ep 28 ending than this alternative one haha. Maybe that's just me. 

I guess for future viewers, skip EP 28 after EP 27 and go directly to EP29...then if they are up for it to go back and watch EP28.

I personally wished there was a way to combine the 2 endings together.

edit: Just found something out about the ending in the novel version:

Spoiler

It actually follows the first ending. Novel might be more detailed in events leading up to the final episode vs what we could see on our screens. News about the ending (from novel) came out sometime in late July.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yesasia is now selling the DVD set for the drama! According to the page, it's 28 epis (likely the original ending). I have already ordered my copy. Will have to see whether any scenes that were originally cut from the QQ or TV airings will make it to the DVD set.

• 1 month later...

review from Yesasia:

The rare China costume fantasy with good editing
January 16, 2017 Picked By Sanwei See all this editor's picks
Novoland: The Castle in the Sky was roundly ripped by Chinese netizens upon arrival for its acquired-taste aesthetics, like distracting circle lens, and for being yet another lusciously fake-looking period fantasy with archetype characters in a saturated market (it premiered the same week as Ice Fantasy). For those who stick around for a few more episodes, however, the reviews also come around, because Castle in the Sky turns out to be one of the rare examples of the genre that succeeds on tight directing and editing.

Set in Novoland (an imaginary ancient China with its own universe and mythology created, shared and developed by different writers), Castle in the Sky focuses on the conflict between mankind and wingkind, a race whose nobility sprout wings upon adulthood. A blue-eyed Zhang Ruoyun stars as Feng Tianyi, the arrogant, willful king of wingkind whose ruling power is kept in check by his regent uncle. Liu Chang plays mankind's steady crown prince Bai Tingjun whose mother harbors warmongering ambitions. Guan Xiaotong is the sweet human girl who holds the key to the wingkind's flight and steals the hearts of both Feng Tianyi and Bai Tingjun.

Cast-wise, Guan Xiaotong is as cute and spunky as the role requires, and Liu Chang has thankfully improved since Les Aventures d'Anthony (he's also helped greatly by the dubbing). SNH48's Ju Jingyi, as well, fares fine in her biggest role to date as a wingkind princess. What makes Castle in the Sky click though is Zhang Ruoyun's magnetic interpretation of Feng Tianyi, pairing over-the-top actions with finely detailed emotions. In a very prolific breakout year that also saw the airing of Sparrow, Medical Examiner Dr. Qin and Promise of Migratory Birds, The Castle in the Sky may not be Zhang Ruoyun's best drama or performance, and it's most definitely not his best look, but it does best showcase his ability to seriously play a role that could have easily otherwise come across as cartoonish.

The Castle in the Sky essentially transplants the popular Mary Sue, "domineering boss" and devoted second male lead characters of trendy romance dramas into a costume fantasy setting, with melodrama fueled by power struggle, magical cruel fate and varying degrees of immature behavior. While the story and character elements are typical, the drama stays fresh with its fast pacing, tight plotting and consistent editing. One of the most common weaknesses of China costume dramas is poorly conceived editing as seen in a sagging mid-section when the story is unnecessarily dragged out and that dreaded rushed ending when too much story is packed into choppy scenes. You pretty much have to anticipate and accept this prevalent flaw to get through most Chinese dramas. The Castle in the Sky, however, largely rises above this problem, maintaining a fairly consistent pace and tone throughout the series. Thanks to its relatively short 28-episode length, the compulsively watchable series also progresses quickly so there are few slow patches to speak of.

While it may be inconceivable to some that the Yang Lei who directed critically praised dramas like The Red and The Literati in Troubled Time could have directed a CGI-plastered youth-oriented costume fantasy like The Castle in the Sky, his skills are apparent in his first foray into the genre. Though the story may never be taken seriously by audiences who don't enjoy the genre, the makers clearly approached the material in a serious manner that is duly reflected in the competent editing and direction that so many other similarly themed productions sorely lack.

I just wonder if Zhang Ruoyun has blue eyes in really life.  

I read somewhere that at the time this drama was shooting, the female lead was only 17 yrs old.  So the second kiss that the male lead stocked something in her mouth was a substituted kiss.  It was not them. 

1 hour ago, lovehuche said:

I just wonder if Zhang Ruoyun has blue eyes in really life.  

I read somewhere that at the time this drama was shooting, the female lead was only 17 yrs old.  So the second kiss that the male lead stocked something in her mouth was a substituted kiss.  It was not them. 

The drama started filming in Jan. of 2016, completed filming in March of the same year. That would make Guan Xiaotong (born Sept '97) 18 at the time (19 if you go by "asian" age)

Archived