[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

@babyval22 why does my heart cry recklessly and uselessly reading HJJ's notes. :bawling: They were happy, I saw how happy they ended. They got married, had babies, lived beautifully and prettily. So why do I feel so helplessly sad reading HJJ's notes? He loves her, and he loves her so much that it hurts. 

------------------

@stroppyse

I've been pondering back and fourth about why I like the end so much. I wondered, how can simplicity be so beautiful and fulfilling? I was finally able to pinpoint why simplicity made thier ending so special. They bought a house, a small and normal house, right along the side of the beach, where the streets are not busy, where the main source of light is day and not the city, where they can sit by the seaside and watch as the sun sets, where the town sleeps soundly and peacefully when night falls, where their children can run and play freely and laugh to their hearts' content, where they can live a long life peacefully without disturbance while growing old together, and where no one has to know who they are or what secrets they hold. They lived a very plain and uneventful life, but a warm and happy one at the same time. And that is how happiness works: to be completely and utterly satisfied with all that you have in life, to appreciate the value of living an ordinary life, to see the beauty in it and to not want more. That is true nirvana. And because their ending was so simple and normal, it makes their story tangible and real. I can't help but be left to wonder if somewhere in this world, there lives a HJJ and a SC. Their ending was beautiful, so beautiful that it was worth shedding tears. I love it to the point where even if I had been able to write the story of HJJ and SC, I would have not changed the ending. I may take different routes here and there but at the end of it all, they will arrive at the same destination. Every now and then, there comes an ending that leaves a deep impression on me, an ending that is able to touch my soul and make me realize the beauty of life. This is one of those. If I may have wandered off and strayed from this story at any point, if I may have cursed at the writer before, I have to apologize as I am deeply thankful to her for constructing an ending that can never be replaced, an ending that all other endings will now have to live up to. Because of her story, HJJ and SC holds a special place in my heart. I am intensely, emotionally tied to them. They will be hard to forget but sometimes, things are meant to be rememebered. They have left a mark in my heart, one that is beautiful. Rather than forgetting them, I can be happy that it happened and cherish them. In my heart, they live on. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, mythicalove said:

@babyval22 why does my heart cry recklessly and uselessly reading HJJ's notes. :bawling: They were happy, I saw how happy they ended. They got married, had babies, lived beautifully and prettily. So why do I feel so helplessly sad reading HJJ's notes? He loves her, and he loves her so much that it hurts. 

I know right? I cried when I read the diary. It shows how so very much JJ truly loves Chungie that he started the diary even before she left him. How can writer park be so brilliant in writing such a great love story that transcend through time? 

LOTBS may have it's criticism and faults, like all drama do. But what makes this drama stand out for me was SC and JJ love that transcended through time and will live on eternally that we have no doubts that in the next life and the life after that,  and the life after that, they will still continue to fight through fate and find their way back to each other.  

• Like 10

Lee Min Ho Thanks Fans for Supporting His Drama ‘The Legend of the Blue Sea’

012617_lee_min_ho_01.jpg

Actor Lee Min Ho has just released a statement via his agency to share his gratitude for his fans’ support! The SBS drama aired its final episode on January 25th, and the next day Lee Min Ho gave some words of gratitude by saying, ‘The 5 months living as Jun Jae was overwhelming happiness. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the fans who watch over the path of actor Lee Min Ho with warm hearts. I would never forget your hearts which allow me to be who I am and the support that makes me a better self.’

At the end of the drama, Lee Min Ho announced that he would be meeting with his fans in Seoul from February 18th to 19th.

http://www.koogle.tv/media/news/lee-min-ho-thanks-fans-for-supporting-his-drama-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea/

• Like 13

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@mythicalove, that was well said. As you know, I also like the ending. I think it points to a fitting finale for this couple who have been through so much, though the many events leading to it were despite themselves and not because of themselves. That wasn't clear. JJ was never about the money, other than the fact that he needed some to live on and to search for his mother, and ND and his scams gave him the most straightforward way of getting the money. Initially, JJ was all about searching for his mother, not necessarily about the excitement or the money of what he was doing. After JJ meets Cheong and realizes that he's in love, his story becomes about searching for his mother AND figuring out how to keep Cheong safe, part of which is to explore his Joseon era incarnation. Cheong also is not about money or power or excitement or anything like that. Her desire is even more straightforward and simplistic. She fell in love, and wants to be with the one she loves. As she stays by his side, she wants to aid him in what he wants. 

So, two such simple souls without much exceeding ambition or materialistic desires have to battle the human emotions of greed and ambition which carry with it horrible implications of theft, fraud, and murder. Not to mention, they also have to overcome a species divide, with rules that aren't necessarily very clear that they have to figure out as they go. And, they both desperately want the other one to be happy and healthy. For that, they're willing to give up everything of themselves, including their lives. It's a bit tragic that they never fully appreciated that without the one, the other just couldn't be happy. Se Hwa's decision to kill herself with Dam Ryung when she realized he was dying was the right one for her since she couldn't live without him. Cheong was wrong to try to erase JJ's memory before she went back to the sea to try to heal herself. 

And after all that, they basically come home to each other, as they needed to be. It's a beautiful story, and I think it resonates with us because of the simplicity of finding one's heart's desire, and then being happy and content with it. I think in this world, people sometimes look at their lives and think it's boring. However, when one has what one wants and needs, and is sharing that with the person they love, then surely a boring life is very good since it means that one can continue to live that life rather than being bogged down by extraneous concerns and interruptions.  And, that's the other beauty of their simplistic, non-materialistic lifestyle. Their normal life is sustainable since they have what they most need to have, each other. 

Sorry, I rambled on about this. Hope this made some sense. There were times when the story wandered all over for me, and I understand the criticisms of this drama. However, I really, really liked the ending. In a way, it's the ending that "You From Another Star" didn't give us which was the touch of normalcy of the couple living out their lives like any other normal couple. That I think is a strength of the endings that this writer writes. Ultimately, it's not about money, ambition, what one doesn't have, etc. Ultimately, it's about having a normal, sustainable, quiet life with the person one loves. 

Btw, I'm in total awe that dedicated fans actually took the time and effort to translate the diary from screenshots. Amazing work, that. 

@stroppyse:  I love what you wrote.  It gave me a different perspective of the ending.  Initially, and I do need to watch it again, my reaction was "oh", not what I expected. I didn't hate it but wasn't wowed by it either.   I was ok with SC erasing HJJ's memories; I would have done the same not wanting him to suffer not knowing whether I would ever return.  

One of the funny Viki timed comments is the scene with Ahn Jin Joo, HJJ's mother and the rest of the ladies group-the comment was the" Real Housewives of Seoul"!  lol

@mythicalove:  Are you hanging in there chingu?  Have you seen episode 20 subbed yet? 

@Alice Mendoza:  Has someone suggested the drama Misaeng to watch?  It's definitely in my top3 favorite k-dramas.  

• Like 8

I wasnt able to watch final episode yesterday as i was very busy. I finally got the chance to watch it today. Oh god the kiss scene was so good. He literally put his tongue. I think it was a first time in korean drama where someone put his tongue while kissing. It was soo good.

Too bad that lmh is leaving for 2 years

• Like 9

9 hours ago, 1ouise said:

@Alice Mendoza

I don't think it has to be this way (everyone's memories erased), but it is the story writer-nim has given us.  I think she wants to emphasize that the love of Dam-ryeong and Se-hwa transcends time, space, and memory.  Others may forget Shim Cheong, but not Heo Joon-jae.  His body remembers.  His heart remembers.  Wiping everyone's memories showed this difference.

I don't think the fact of SC is now a secret, just that she is a mermaid.  (So, no secret wedding.)

I recognize a few gaps in logic, but I won't pick at them because I want to enjoy the drama as it was presented, realizing that it is a work of fiction, and fantasy at that.  I think a few details might have been sacrificed in the editing room in order to highlight the main theme of true and everlasting love.

The ending was very different from what I envisioned, and for that, I actually LOVE it all the more!

Good morning lobsters! 

I believe that SC was introduced to the rest properly as his long lost love but he kept their past from everyone to protect SC's identity. Eventually, they may or may not remember her. One hour is too short to show us what happened to the rest. It is implied though that his mom lives with ND and TO at the hiouse JJ bought. I believe Yoona will keep the secret of SC's nature to herself. 

I also believe that the difficult time HONG and ND referred to was his father's death, arrest of Stepmom, attempt to his life, death of CH. 

all in all, the ending was beautiful and fitting to the story. It was quiet, warm, funny and very ordinary but you can feel the love and joy that our OTP has. I love HJJ's voice-over esp the last part. Indeed their love story is a beautiful legend. 

For those saying that the writer failed ti ficus on the mermaid story, well IMO the drama is not about the mermaid per se but about the love between two different people.

keep posting chingus!

• Like 11

:heart:  

The earliest time we can see LMH in a new drama is about 2-3 years from now. If he chooses a movie when he comes back, then it might even take up to 4 years to see him in a drama :bawling:  I will patiently wait for him... 

Credit: as tagged

• Like 12

Jun Ji Hyun Shares Her Thoughts About Drama ‘The Legend of the Blue Sea’

C3HSdcuVcAAS3bx.jpg

Jun Ji Hyun shared her thoughts about finishing up her starring drama ‘The Legend of the Blue Sea’! Jun Ji Hyun stated, ‘There were a lot of concerns and worries about playing the new character of a mermaid but I was able to joyfully work due to everyone's support and encouragement. I appreciate the viewers who loved 'The Legend of the Blue Sea'. I think it'll be a memorable production to me, as much as it was difficult filming.’

Jun Ji Hyun made sure to credit and thank the staff members as she said, ‘It was all thanks to the staff members that we were able to complete filming without accidents throughout the 6 months. Thank you and I love you.’ She then said in closing, ‘I'll work harder to show more of the good sides of me.’

http://www.koogle.tv/media/news/jun-ji-hyun-shares-her-thoughts-about-drama-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea/

• Like 9

@stroppyse wow! I was moved when i read your post abt the ending, exactly what i have in mind. Thank you for putting it in words. Haist! Hiw i wish it was more than 20 eps si we can see more of our OTP. They felt so real, i can't get over them! I'm listening to the OST right now on repeat mode.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, 1ouise said:

@TrucB  @mythicalove  I thought another reason for not showing that he knew her at first was that if he did, he would have revealed her in front of Nam-doo, Si-ah, and his mom, and she needed to remain forgotten by them.  (Of course, it also sets up the parallel umbrella-image.)  

@1ouise I thought so, too. I even thought he left the house, saying he had a appointment elsewhere, in order to lure her out, then he would follow her just to appear in front of her at the right time, hence the umbrella scene. And he would tell her how much he missed her when there are no one else who know them around. 

• Like 6