[Drama 2016] Moonlight Drawn by Clouds / Love in the Moonlight ☪ 구르미 그린 달빛

Maetawinz

14 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Nope you're totally wrong... I'm not rewatching episode 4... I mean who would do that anyway right? ;) I just adore how he looks and then Ra On is coming into view - first the vision is blurred but then completely. The first woman who Lee Yeong will be ever interested in from now on and forever comes into view:

Rewatching these two scoops after discussing about JoSeon Dynasty in order to understand TV drama more. :D 

In the scoop, they mentioned that in such time, reading and writing are somewhat important, as we watched eunuch testing included writted exam and also writing essay, generally eunuch came from commoners. RaOn can write and read. Cho Daughter like reading as same as Crown Prince, she has already read the books that Crown Prince read in the secret garden as she mentioned to him.

Trivial Curiosities about Celebrities-Love in the Moonlight

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I remember that when I first saw this full opening sequence, I saw the modern elements (typewriter, tablet) and I was afraid that it was going to introduce a time travel or a century+ time jump in the drama. I'm so glad that it was just a cheeky acknowledgement of the fictional and fusion aspects of the drama rather than one of those. I think as much as I loved this drama, having either time travel or a having a time jump to modern times would have been disconcerting for me and probably killed some of my love for it. 

As it is when I watch this open now, I can just chuckle a bit and admire the pretty. :) Thanks for posting it again @in00022.

I really dislike the TV drama with too fantasy plots like a time travel, time jump, supernatural miracle, mixed world. I am ok with those things in movie or cartoon but not TV drama esp. Sageuk. I might not the audience type who like too many twists. 

Moonlight Drawn By Clouds's one flaw for me might be the rhythm in the last episode was too fast compared to other episodes.

• Like 12

I found the discussion about who educated RO quite interesting. I was wondering if it is so clear that the autobiography of Lady Hyegyeong is written by her (or any other work attributed to Korean women in the Josen period). I ask this because most of the works attributed to women in the Latin Middles Ages were not written down by women (an example is the autobiography of Margery Kempe--it was written down by her confessor). These works were composed by women, but the actual writing down was done by men. The works were autobiographies, mystical experience accounts, medicinal accounts based on actual experience. These works had very diverse subjects, but their composition probably did not require women to know how to read or to actually read other books. These works were based on these women's experience. But since they were not educated, writing them down was the only problem, and it was done by men. (this situation raises very interesting issues about the veracity of these accounts--since they did not know how to read or write, they did not have any way to ensure that what was written was as what was dictated.)

On the other hand, about her mother nobility. I was wondering about that. I was thinking that RO's mother is some kind of seamstress, based on episode 15. There are quite a lot of women cloths that she was working on--since RO cannot wear women cloths, her mother would have own at least 3 or 4--but these cloths even if they are not as expensive as the beautiful ones, they must have been expensive for a woman living alone. She also does embroidery, and I was thinking that she does it for selling it, because the cloth she is wearing is very plain (also she seems to wear the same cloth). So RO's mother occupation might explain the presence of that beautiful cloth that RO tries on herself (that might also explain why the mother is so very upset in that scene--it is not only about RO wearing a dress, but about wearing the dress of a client--if she damages it, it would be a problem).

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

But you realize Margery Kempe lived during a completely different era? There is a difference between the 14th century and the 18th century. I mean I get where you're coming from but there are worlds between these two women - apart from the cultural difference, different religion etc.

I know that even during that time education for women was a rare thing but there are also countries in which the education of noble ladies (of course educated in a way they wouldn't be able to be a danger for men) was important. And writing and reading - aside from stitching, painting etc. - belong to the finearts. Something that is actually valued even for women. In Europe during the 19th century for example being a uneducated noble woman was not something to be proud of. Of course they weren't supposed to be too smart to outsmart the men but still... Speaking languages like French was a must back then.

As for Lady Hyegyeong: I've read some academic papers on her and they all seem to be sure the autobiography was written by her.

I like your observation about Ra On's mother being a seamstress though. It could be possible. Just like any other theory is possible. I'm still not sure if I like that the writer left this part of the story so open. But I have to take what I get. So yeah... we will never know if Ra On was actually from a noble family or not.

Yes, I realized that...:)  that's why I haven't said in my post that what happened in the Latin Middle Ages also happened in the Joseon period. I was just asking if it was clear that the work was written down by that lady (or in general works attributed to Korean women).

I think we start from different assumptions, when addressing the problem of education of women. :) I asked the question about who wrote the autobiography down because in contrast to you, I have many doubts that the situation of women in Europe in the 19th century is comparable with what's happening in Korea in the Joseon period. For example, what you say about Europe does not even apply to all European countries in the 19th century (I come from such a country, that fails to exhibit the features you mention) So when I hear about women writing in a period in which they are oppressed (a lot), in a society that seems to exhibit features of a feudal system (or more than features of a capitalist or industrialized one), I immediately ask the question whether a work attributed to a woman was in fact written down by a woman. 

If you say that scholars agree that it is written down by Lady Hyegyeong, i am not questioning that.

In fact, HY is presented as a well-educated and well-read woman, although if I remember correctly CP was surprised by her knowledge--meaning that she was somehow an exception. I know that there are even two Korean women who were philosophers, at the end of 18th century--I think they even wrote some books.

But even if it is true that there are  some women who escape the societal constraints, there is also the additional question of what kind of noble women have access to education. For HY is the child of a powerful minister; moreover, Lady Hyegyeong might have also come from a powerful family, since she was the wife of the crown prince. While RO's mother, if she was nobility, she must have been very very low nobility--because the family kind of look poor. So even if she was nobility, she might not have access to education.

(I think I enjoy this topic more than I should... In fact, one of the things I loved about this drama was how problems of gender emerge from it.)

• Like 14

@stroppyse 

ahhh.... it's because of their expressive faces that I couldn't live recap. When you live recap, a lot of nuances may be missed. Hence, multiple rewatches of every episode!

@Jillia looking forward to your YeongOn!

@honeywell I liked their first kiss. It was very natural and I cheered when he kissed her lips (not her chin) and she held on to his sleeve. Their kiss scene is much better than some I have ( and from more experienced actors and actresses, no less). And he is the CP who can actually do whatever he likes but he pauses and kisses her when she closes her eyes. (As a signal that she consents to the kiss).

• Like 16

Is anyone else having a hard time starting a new series?  I'm attempting to start Signal but my mind is still thinking about LITM.

I'm just glad that since LITM ended towards the end of the year we won't have to wait long to see the cast again during the KBS awards.  Two months away.  

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, honeywell said:

Is anyone else having a hard time starting a new series?  I'm attempting to start Signal but my mind is still thinking about LITM.

I'm just glad that since LITM ended towards the end of the year we won't have to wait long to see the cast again during the KBS awards.  Two months away.  

Moonlighter's illness☺

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, honeywell said:

Oh yes! I miss Moonday so much :( I tried watching the new drama that replaced MDBC's Mon/Tues slot.. but I can't seem to get into it. In fact, I can't get into anything right now.. Feeling a lull in my drama life.. TT^TT *Proceeds to rewatch MDBC*

• Like 18