[Drama 2016] Moonlight Drawn by Clouds / Love in the Moonlight ☪ 구르미 그린 달빛

Maetawinz

5 hours ago, in00022 said:

@Michelle Tang  

Yes ... really hope he can win this especially he has been nominated for his role as crown prince .... he deserved that since he acted so well as CP... :)

Wish yoojung been nominated too but unfortunately i didnt see anyone share about her being nominated ...:( if both bogum n yoojung can win the award fr their acting in mdbc ..that would be great ... 

we will know by tomorrow 4pm whether our CP win the award or not. Let's pray.

And yes i wish both Bo Gum and Yoo Jung will win the award in the same ceremony which is KBS Drama award during year end. I know DOTS is too strong but i think both of them deserve at least best couple award and excellence award. 

Just now, Michelle Tang said:

we will know by tomorrow 4pm whether our CP win the award or not. Let's pray.

And yes i wish both Bo Gum and Yoo Jung will win the award in the same ceremony which is KBS Drama award during year end. I know DOTS is too strong but i think both of them deserve at least best couple award and excellence award. 

@Michelle Tang yeah ... tomorrow we will know the result ... i am nervous already now since i really really want to see him win this award  .... :P coz i love his acting as CP so muchhhhh .... 

***** Pray hard for him and yoojung to win many award for their excellent acting as CP n Raon ***** :blush:

8 hours ago, Bambiina said:

Thank you for this answer. Sorry I still do not know how to use the quote function very good.

Your answer illuminated an aspect that I haven't thought of, namely how the encounter with HY looks to CP. Jillia also said that I do not think at all about the CP situation. Your response made it clear to me what exactly I was missing and you (and Jillia) take as important.

I agree with you that CP might think the way you so nicely put it. There are two aspects in CP's reaction to HY: on the one hand, CP is upset with the departure of RO; on the other hand, he might be already annoyed with HY's small destiny acts (they were funny the first time around, but now they are just annoying and troublesome).

I am guilty of overlooking the second aspect, partially because I find it sad that her character is mostly described by her stupid crush on the prince, partially because I was thinking that she has a crush, but the way she explained her coming to see him was pretty convincing (with the crush being the main motivation or not). but indeed I can see how the prince, because of their past encounters, has enough of her, this especially now, after RO's departure.

Given this, in the end my argument for the prince being rude rests on shaky grounds. I admit.  :)

Still, and here maybe is just my stubbornness typing, I find his remark about her quarters insensitive. (although humanely, he has reasons to be upset) I also find his passing her and not greeting her rude because I thought, as HY did, that he needs to have better control over his emotions, although humanely he has reasons to be upset.  

There has been a brewing discussion about Ha Yeon and I'll take a dip as well.  My feelings for HY are still bordering on okayish, no irritation or anything like that.  I really like that she's straighforward in making the deal, but I kinda wish she'd walk the talk.  She proposed a business deal and both have laid the ground rules, he was clear on where his feelings lay.....now and in the future, hence she knows where she stand, but then she'd have those expressions of hope infront of him, kinda underhandedly guilt-tripping him.   

I first thought that CP and HY would mirror that of RO and YS, but its totally different.  In both situation, it was straightforward and all 4 know that someone is occupying the other person's heart.  But in the case of Ra On and YS,  there's more unselfish caring.  In that conversation, Ra On used everything she has to let YS know the gravity of the situation.  She started with anger, truth, guilt, gratitude and pain.  And YS is walking the talk when he said, "No expectations".  

4 minutes ago, Jillia said:

No it's not a sequel but it's another romance novel by the same writer Yoon Yi-Soo. :) Which is available in a box set of five volumes.

It's called "해시의 신루" - 해시 (haesi) meaning the time of the day from 9 to 11pm and 신루 (sinnyu) meaning mirage. So it can be translated as "Midnight mirage".

The story is about the love story between Crown Prince Lee Hyang, later known as King Munjong, and a woman who can see the future. Her name is Hae Ru. It's set during the reign of the famous King Sejong, who is Lee Hyang's father, and therefore the plot also surrounds the scientific developments during that time. Hence why the article says the story is set in the "Joseon's Renaissance".

The article also draws a comparison between the genius Lee Hyang and Hae Ru and the couple in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, Lee Yeong and Ra On. :)

I actually wish that English translations of these novels exist. I would love to read MDBC and also this series of novels you have just mentioned! I don't think there is any chance for these novels to be translated by fans because it would almost be too huge a commitment that takes much effort and time.

So, I think all the more reason for me to start learning Korean again! :glasses:

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:
10 minutes ago, akikisetsu said:

There has been a brewing discussion about Ha Yeon and I'll take a dip as well.  My feelings for HY are still bordering on okayish, no irritation or anything like that.  I really like that she's straighforward in making the deal, but I kinda wish she'd walk the talk.  She proposed a business deal and both have laid the ground rules, he was clear on where his feelings lay.....now and in the future, hence she knows where she stand, but then she'd have those expressions of hope infront of him, kinda underhandedly guilt-tripping him.   

I first thought that CP and HY would mirror that of RO and YS, but its totally different.  In both situation, it was straightforward and all 4 know that someone is occupying the other person's heart.  But in the case of Ra On and YS,  there's more unselfish caring.  In that conversation, Ra On used everything she has to let YS know the gravity of the situation.  She started with anger, truth, guilt, gratitude and pain.  And YS is walking the talk when he said, "No expectations".  

-- DITTO -- :wub:

22 minutes ago, tzupi said:

Thank you for this answer. Sorry I still do not know how to use the quote function very good.

Your answer illuminated an aspect that I haven't thought of, namely how the encounter with HY looks to CP. Jillia also said that I do not think at all about the CP situation. Your response made it clear to me what exactly I was missing and you (and Jillia) take as important.

I agree with you that CP might think the way you so nicely put it. There are two aspects in CP's reaction to HY: on the one hand, CP is upset with the departure of RO; on the other hand, he might be already annoyed with HY's small destiny acts (they were funny the first time around, but now they are just annoying and troublesome).

I am guilty of overlooking the second aspect, partially because I find it sad that her character is mostly described by her stupid crush on the prince, partially because I was thinking that she has a crush, but the way she explained her coming to see him was pretty convincing (with the crush being the main motivation or not). but indeed I can see how the prince, because of their past encounters, has enough of her, this especially now, after RO's departure.

Given this, in the end my argument for the prince being rude rests on shaky grounds. I admit.  :)

Still, and here maybe is just my stubbornness typing, I find his remark about her quarters insensitive. (although humanely, he has reasons to be upset) I also find his passing her and not greeting her rude because I thought, as HY did, that he needs to have better control over his emotions, although humanely he has reasons to be upset.  

I don't think he actually saw her passed him by, not that he wanted to be rude or anything. He was just too much in his bubble

28 minutes ago, Jillia said:

No it's not a sequel but it's another romance novel by the same writer Yoon Yi-Soo. :) Which is available in a box set of five volumes.

It's called "해시의 신루" - 해시 (haesi) meaning the time of the day from 9 to 11pm and 신루 (sinnyu) meaning mirage. So it can be translated as "Midnight mirage".

The story is about the love story between Crown Prince Lee Hyang, later known as King Munjong, and a woman who can see the future. Her name is Hae Ru. It's set during the reign of the famous King Sejong, who is Lee Hyang's father, and therefore the plot also surrounds the scientific developments during that time. Hence why the article says the story is set in the "Joseon's Renaissance".

The article also draws a comparison between the genius Lee Hyang and Hae Ru and the couple in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, Lee Yeong and Ra On. :)

wow this sounds very interesting! i think it's a good material for a drama adaption :blush:

16 minutes ago, Jillia said:

It's simple:

As a noble lady you don't walk around the palace, except when you go visit the princess and afterwards you leave. You don't wander around in hope to see the person you like. It was clearly implied the gardens are a place Lee Yeong is visiting when he wants to be ALONE. Yes he invited Ha Yeon there to give back the present but only to make sure she won't be embarrassed in front of his servants. But he also never implied she could just come back. She is not part of his inner circle. Period. So yes it's rude to overstep certain boundaries. There is no arguing against it.

I'm not contented of just liking all your posts so I decided to post again after 2 heartbreaking episodes. 

@JilliaDid I missed something? Did the CP really called Ha Yeon at the garden to return her gift? I thought it's not really been detailed in the episode, I just assumed that the CP was informed that Ha Yeon is waiting at the garden. 

48 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Because if Ha Yeon is now overstepping the boundaries set by Lee Yeong what will happen when they're married? Will she come to visit him in his quarters unannounced? Will she not respect his wishes? Is this behavior worth a Crown Princess let alone future Queen. She accepted to enter a loveless marriage... It's not uncommon for a crown prince or king after the consummation of the marriage to never visit the queen again in the bedchambers. They would usually live apart from eachother in different parts of the palace. And the king would have concubines to produce an heir. Not that I want Ra On to become Lee Yeong's concubine. My point is: Ha Yeon should expect that she will never be more than the Crown Princess or later Queen in title.

Love your post here most especially the last part@JilliaI don't really know what kind of crown princess Ha Yeon will be in the next episodes but so far I am not into her character. I don't consider her actions as a Saint or selfless as the other poster mentioned here awhile back. She has an ulterior motive when she decided to give in to a loveless marriage and that is to be close to the CP and it's very clear that she's hoping to be loved one day. And I am not convinced her love as true love yet (blame it on the late introduction of her character). 

@pyoyongI want to join you and @Bambina at the roof top but my lack of knowledge in computer failed me he he. 

@Earth2KatyDhope you and your family are okay. Miss your post here

About the ending, I am pretty sure it will not be a sad ending but I'll be disappointed as well if it's an open ending. I would like to think that MDBC will continue to be the best drama ever up to the end. 

Thank you everyone for all the updates and keeping this thread alive:)

Guest yumoreo5

I wish to see Jin Young and Dong Yeon lead their own dramas in the near future. Even with such limited and few scenes, they've completely captured my heart. Every scene they're in has only strengthen the drama. Without YS and BY, LY would have never been able to save RO that many times and as smoothly.

For the first time, I was actually captured by a drama and that I lived in it. I ended up in the Joseon era and witness all the brutal killings and all the societal restrictions that made loving someone difficult. But that added to the romance as they have to sacrifice more. Yes, I do have a real life that I have to deal with; but inside this forum I lived in the Joseon Era. I held off watching other modern-day Korean Dramas so that I could concentrate on this for two more weeks. There were many posts about awards being won by our leads, BTS pictures showing bad guys (like Minister Catfish) taking selfies with the good guys, etc. They were good to know but my mind was set on CP and Ra On, not Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung. I was captured into their world, their acting (including many other characters) made it so real.

The last 4 episodes would have to answer a lot of questions. YS knows of the new Crown Prince not being real. PD spent half an episode on the trauma of the young princess seeing Kim Hun murdering someone, but how will she reveal it now that Ra On is gone from the palace. I think Ra On is the only one who could reach her (perhaps CP also). The more I think about it, the young people in this drama are the only one CP could trust. If the palace guard would let the attackers come in without resistance, that means there is no one the CP and the King could trust. CP can only count on BY and YS. There were comments made about Ra On being a damsel in distress most of the time, but back in those days, there was not much choice. Ra On's role is to make CP strong and believe in himself. There were no women who could pack a six-shooter like today's women. So I hope the three young people could conquer this corrupted mess together, perhaps Top Scholar Jung could be part of the mix using his brains.

1 hour ago, tzupi said:

First, I apologize for for shortening your post. I'll try to address your issues. 

It's not that CP being rude, he's just suprised. Asking a question to HY as a matter of fact. Why? Because it's the CUSTOM at that period of time, Joseon period. I'm just gonna quote a bit from Wiki below, because I'm lazy and not good at explaining thing like this. It's quite long post and you can do more research if you're interested 

Spoiler

Society in the Joseon Dynasty was built upon Neo-Confucianist ideals, namely the three fundamental principles and five moral discipline. 

During this period clan structure became stricter and bloodline was of utmost importance. Family life was regulated by law, strictly enforcing Confucian rituals. Compared to Goryeo practices before, marriage rituals were restructured and aggravated. Noblemen could have several wives and concubines but their children born from commoner or slave concubines were considered illegitimate and denied any yangban rights.

The roles and rights of women were reduced compared to previous eras in Korean history. Yangban women were completely hidden from the outer world and every woman had to conform to Confucian ideals of purity, obedience, chastity and faithfulness. Women were subjects of male dominance throughout their lives, obliged to listen to their fathers, husbands, fathers-in-law and firstborn sons. Homes were divided into male and female quarters to separate the sexes.

Korean society in Joseon was built upon the three fundamental principles (samgang, 삼강, 三綱) and five moral disciplines (oryun, 오륜, 五倫):[1]
* samgang:
    * chung (충, 忠): loyalty to the king
    * hyo (효, 孝): filial obedience to the parents
    * yeol (열, 熱): differentiation between men and women
* oryun:
    * ui (의, 義): righteousness and justice: the relationship between monarch and the people
    * chin (친, 親): warmth and closeness between parents and children
    * byeol (별, 別): differentiation between husband and wife
    * seo (서,序): order between seniors and juniors
    * sin (신, 信): trust between friends

This means that Korean society placed utmost importance on hierarchy between classes, older and younger people, emphasized family values, the keeping of order and harmony and the inferior social status of women. Rituals became very important, ceremonies, paying respect to one's ancestors and the need for lifelong learning were valued. Neo-Confucians considered hard work, purity, politeness and refraining from improper behaviour as desirable and valuable human qualities. They could be regarded as prudish, since showing passionate emotions was something noble people were expected to avoid. It was important that everyone knew their standings in society and behaved accordingly. The Korean languagereflects this notion even today, by the use of honorifics, which signal whether the speaker addresses a senior person or someone of a higher social standing.

I'm not sure about this, during marriage preparations, in some countries, even mine, there's a custom that bride and groom aren't allowed to see each other until the wedding ceremony. I assume this's also the custom at that time, that's why I wasn't surprised when CP asked HY that, because she's breaking the custom. 

Maybe other Moonlighters who know more can explain better? 

Ps. Royal family was considered as a manifestation of heaven's will on earth. So even looking at a member of royal family without permission was punishable. Remember the scene at of RO with the Princess at the jail? She's not allowed to lift her head at all, that's why she didn't see CP look like . 

Well, I've to edit this post, because I just got a revelation!!!

That means uri CP actually is a VERY GENEROUS CONSIDERATE SOUL!!!:lol::heart:

3 hours ago, tzupi said:

It is not clear to me that CP's garden was private in such a way that HY should not come there. As I remember it was said by the princess, that CP stays there and reads. (maybe teh princess implied that for CP that is a private place, but HY does not come across as being very knowledgeable about the life at the palace and its hardships--she is a little bit naive and too idealistic).

The CP referred to the places that he knows and where he hides from the servants and others (but that to RO). CP himself called HY to the garden. They also met in the garden and I do not remember to have been an interdiction for her not to come to the garden again.

Moreover, HY does not know about the signification of the garden to the CP.

HY wanted to get in touch with the prince and did the most reasonable thing: went to the garden because in the past that's where she found him.

I do not think the prince was rude in saying her not to come to the garden, especially since the garden is his, women were supposed to obey their husbands. and there is no such a big deal for HY to obey this order--she does not need to live in the garden. (as I said, what I find insensitive is for him to ask her about why she is not in her quarters.)

HY did not do anything that she doesn't usually do: find her own way to get some points across.

As I see it, about the garden incident: you either think that HY is rude in general because she does not obey the rules that require women to know their place. Or you do not think that she is rude when she behaves in a manner that disobey the rules (rules that were unfair to women). I am in the second category. Then, in my opinion, she should not be called rude in this episode too since she does not do anything out of ordinary. The only problem was that in ep. 14 that she is not aware about the whole situation--her behavior might be annoying for us because as viewers we know more, but in the framework of the story, I do not see why she is rude.

Yes I do agree with you that CP is rude because he don't greet HY meanwhile he's the crown prince who owns the nation that people have to respect for, even it because his heavy thought about his corrupt goverment & the woman he love is dissapear is still consider as lame excuse here. He's rude just because HY come without formal permission to his private library at his own palace, even though RO was the one who told her but RO is only as an eunuch here. He also being rude to HY only because she's coming without formal permission again (for 2nd time if when he returned her present not counting) to his own private garden on his own private palace again.

Actually the conclusion is simple here he's definitely not the man for HY here. They are not meant to be!! Oh cmon that kind of rude CP  for a noble lady that have a golden, pure, naive heart as HY who's only tried to being friendly despite she will live in the palace as crown princess that should be the one who gave the example for obeying the rule. HY is definitely not the type for Jeoseon kingdom here. They don't know how to being friendly & respect woman. So I think with her friendly character she should be marry with princes from West. You think which one of them is suitable enough for her?

Spoiler

InShot_20161006_225045_zpslo48enlt.jpg

It's perfect they're gentleman always being polite to a lady, only have1 spouse, no concubine so women really being respected here. Also the most important thing is "And they live happily ever after".

13 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Thank you for your post, @b3ll4dy! :)

During that time it was even a custom after the crown princess has been chosen she would live in a special place - not necessarily the final future palace - where she would be prepared for her role. Also seen in the drama where Ha Yeon is introduced to the place where she will live in.

The actual wedding is such formal act that for Crown Prince Hyomyeong (Lee Yeong) and Lady Cho (Ha Yeon) wedding alone the whole procedure is compiled in a book.

Usually the bride returns to her home outside the palace and the groom will offer his official wish to marry her handing over a live duck or goose to the head of the family aka the bride's father.

The wedding then takes place in the yard of the bride's house and afterwards the groom is supposed to lift the curtain of the palanquin in which the bride is taken to the palace. (this can be seen in many k-dramas but I'm sure a lot of you will remember TMTETS best in which Lee Hwon refuses - or is distracted by the rain - to lift the curtain for the bride)

So no, it's not common for the bride and groom to meet prior to the wedding ceremony. Maybe through a official introduction but even that is unlikely.

Of course we have to remember that this is a fusion sageuk, so the rules are a bit loose and I understand there need to be scenes where Ha Yeon is involved with Lee Yeong. I just think they're the weakest written scenes from Ha Yeon's point of view at least.

Even though this is a fusion sageuk she still needs to follow a certain court etiquette. And Lee Yeong has every right to question her why she is there when she is supposed to be in the palace where she has to stay until the wedding. As a crown princess she is also supposed to represent the women's court properly...

EDIT:

I still wonder why I go to the dreadful topic of Ha Yeon when I should be writing on my costume post. :rolleyes:

I also wonder why I keep thinking of Walt Disney fairytale too when HY diehard fans come?:P

Archived