[Drama 2016] 38 Task Force (Squad 38) / 38사기동대 / Special eps (8/12) @11 PM KST (OCN)

Guest phi3nk

@inkblotstains Receive my warm welcome too!!! Feel free to share your thoughts here!

SIG deserves to be the best 2016 actor for his performance on this drama. The drama "Reply 1997", which is one of my favorites ones, helped him to be known and loved, and now this drama is helping him to show all his rainbow color potential as an actor!!!! He is my favorite K-Actor so far!!! His abilities, charms, performances, spontaneity, and sex appeal are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, inkblotstains said:

I checked Choi Sooyoung's instagram (@hotsootuff) and posts with the casts are still there. She's still following the cast also. 

I have to agree with @phi3nk that though there are love lines in the drama that is not its main focal point. Sooyoung's acting in here is really good also given that she's not really in the squad and she makes every scene with her count. 

Hi also to everyone! I'm a lurker but I decidedly unlurked. ;)

BIG FINAL CON GAME EPISODES.. AND THEY ARE TRYING TO KEEP IT A SURPRISE...OMG!!!!! :sweatingbullets::o:phew:

Ha ha ha ha.. my god.. they don't want to leak anything about the EP 15 and 16.. we are getting conned... in good way!!!!!  I'm so excited! :D

Top Tweet of the week

RT: "Awwwww...One of my favorite couple this year..hahahhaha" (Cr:pearl)

CoyYV5cUEAAiKzZ.jpg

38 Task Force Episode 13-14

taskforce

Conning is all about reading other person’s mind. Can’t find enough words to praise this drama. Thank you for being so entertaining and keeping me happy.

Jung do and Sung hee can be together right? There’s a possibility right? After learning the truth Sung hee’s changed. I can hope for a happy ending right?

Jung do you beauty -*muah muah* need to control emotions. Ahem ahem- He never believed Sung ll betrayed him. He sacrificed himself so Sung ll can find out about Choi Chul woo’s hidden money. This guys brain works at an amazing speed.

full impression post: https://mynewpersona.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/38-task-force-episode-13-14/

---

38 Task Force episode 14 recap kdrama

38 Task Force – 38사기동대 Episode 14

I just want to jump right to where they, I mean, it’s so –  I’m dying here – those gangsta shirts, it’s hilarious, what a bunch of actors (*slaps face*)! But forgive me, I’ll begin at the beginning of the episode and get to my favorite part, that is, if I don’t die laughing. But it’s just so funny!    

38 task force ep 14 recap38 task force ep 14 recap, chairman wang, seo in guk

Chairman Wang wants to see Jung Do first thing. Wallet has brought an entourage – 4 black sedans and a couple dozen men – to greet the Chairman upon his release. The Boss is back!

full recap: https://cimiart.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/38-task-force-episode-14-recap-kdrama/

---

and last but not least: finally an impression post by 'Clockwatcher' from CouchKimchi. Unfortunately I can't post the first few lines, but it's worth reading...

“38 Task Force” Episode 15 Preview

feat

full impression post: http://couch-kimchi.com/2016/08/02/38-task-force-episode-15-preview/

Guest phi3nk

Awwww... today is the last day they're shooting. I'm gonna miss them.

Co-4pIEUEAAgGo0.jpg

Is there any info if they're going to do wrap up party?

@pafaccio sorry for my late reply. My heart was occupied with another show. I also agree with you. Everything in the show is too convenient and everything keeps getting sorted out automatically without much efforts from the Con team. There are logical issues which i talked earlier too. As i said earlier Writer plays with timeline to fool the audience. ok accepted. But keeping information from audience while characters have full knowledge of it doesn't look awesome at all. Though, we viewers still accept it as a goof twist and praise the writer.

THANK YOU Everyone for the pics.

Things actually become quite predictable. It;s just that we can't point out how the outcome will be achieve and in which manner it gonna affect our characters. Viewers are praising the show how they getting tricked by the writer but on many occasions i was able to caught was exactly the writer was upto. I think all other viewers have also caught it but they just brush it away as normal. It's just the  we viewers are too kind to forgive writer.

Then Jung Do touch in everything and everywhere does more bad to the characters than writer would have expected. At times it feels like Characters lack personality and are Contract hired to do Jung Do jobs.

In this modern tech world it's quite hard to run cons but here just change coat and wear some glasses and you and invincible. The way the Writer shows ignorance towards law and various acts is baffling. If this all is true then South Korea the best Tax Haven for everyone.

@40somethingahjumma or noona tried to make a point out of writer's lack of understanding of laws and regulation but i didn't felt convinced that time.

All female characters are Strong on surface or paper but still main show is ruled by Men. Chun Sung Hee from start played the role to promote Jung Do the Character. What we get to know about Jung Do comes trhough Sung Hee. Sung Hee does have independent characters so does have all other minor to side characters females. That doesn't make Sung Hee any significant force to reckon with.

Same goes for Mi Joo. Mi Joo is here to do the labour aka Cosplay but real Manager is Jung Do and by Extension Sung il.

As said by Noona earlier Sung Hee joining the Con Team goes against the character. and so far Writer has kept every character in line. So out of characters moments are heroic moments.

I like the show and i praise the show and whole team but this feeling also allows me to criticize the show.

@pafaccio I'm also really curious to know the answers to the all the questions that you've mentioned. I wonder how they'll resolve all the conflicts and give justice to each character and their relationships.. like

SH & JD,

MJ's past,

MJS being part of the plan since the beginning,

PDB being MIA(missing in action),

What did CCW do besides what was shown,

CGS and Chairman Wang's real motive/identity,

and most importantly, who's the real betrayer in the squad? the one who Commisioner Ahn said helped them two years ago? I can't help but suspect Burner.. that he got beat up in order to not be suspected.. I mean he could even survive all those fake car accidents he did why not this?

BUT I'm holding myself back too, what if I'll get conned by the writer again? *sigh* I did have a crazy thought though.. What if CSH is the 'betrayer'? I kept thinking that her scene with Jungdo at the last part of ep 14 was a bit eerie. Or is it just me? The way they inserted her scene just to show that they haven't forgotten her is just Ugh! Watching this drama made me so crazy that my mind thinks of things even my heart couldn't bear to accept. Just like @catocat said,

On 8/1/2016 at 9:06 PM, catocat said:

38 Task Force deserve lengthy discussions. Maybe we all have failed to make a strong point regarding the story and raised the white flag towards the Writer!!? I mean it is futile when your every assumption and prediction and view is proven wrong by the writer 15 minutes in the episode.  There are things we can guess and there are things we just can't . We are forced to think in a certain way, we become confident and then Writer strikes when we are the most vulnerable. We end up saying Amazing, Marvelous.

Mostly it was us viewers fault for falling into such easy traps and that's where the fun lies. We fall once and we stand up to challenge the Writer. We fall again and we feel the real excitement. Like we are in a game. There the battle of upping each other starts. We even forget that we are in Huge Disadvantageous situation. It's writers world and He/She is the king maker. Writer can bend rules anytime as per his/her wish. We believe in hope but that is also given to us by the Writer. We from the start are into the Con act and we don't even realize it. How come you expect the Audience to win the battle in such situation?

There are some things called Twists which are actually hidden and a viewer can't guess them. There is Foreshadowing which is Viewers space to make a game out of lost battle. But this where we also lost and here Director played with us by Manipulating the TimeLine.

All in all Bravo Writer and Director. ALL HAIL THE DIRECTOR AND WRITER.

I couldn't find a better way to say it and thanks chingu for saying it all. :)

BUT what really bothers me is that..

the debate between CHOI SOOYOUNG's character, CHEON SUNGHEE.

Okay first of all.. as everyone should've noticed by now.. I am a Sone. and a HARDCORE Sooyoungster. and there is no way I'm gonna deny it as I'm really proud of it. 
also note that everything that I'm gonna say here is PURELY MY OPINION and I respect every single one of your opinions, regardless if it's negative or not. and all the points that I'm gonna mention may vary as it is not exact and could only be depending on what I saw in this forum, in instagram, recaps, and in other sites, etc. I've stayed quiet all this time especially this week because I didn't have the time to comment (school) and now I think I should speak up.

WARNING: this could be a very loooooong rant. ^^V

1. "Less Sunghee, more Mijoo and Secretary Choi" 

This. as much as I wanted to respect every single opinion I see, I just can't help but feel angry. tbh I just commented, "More Sunghee please :( We miss her :'(" first in squad 38's official IG account and I got this comment back. She didn't really mention me but It's obvious she was pointing my comment out. Last I checked the comment disappeared completely (it just proves the power of sooyoungsters lol) I LOVE MIJOO and JIYEON but I LOVE SOOYOUNG MORE. Don't need to point out that you don't like her you know. It's really unnecessary. You should've just said "No offense, but I like Mijoo and Jiyeon more." And I could've understood it. Sorry guys for being so emotional huhuhu

2. "Sooyoung was just used for publicity due to her being an SNSD member"

Another thing. Yes, I admit. Without Sooyoung, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be wasting my time commenting and posting and making an fb page for this drama. Yes, I'm a kdrama lover for toooo long and I watched far too many dramas and only a few I could name that I really watched episode by episode. and those few are ALL SOOYOUNG'S DRAMAS. This is also the first drma that I watched live in a live stream. The thing is when two of your favorite things in the world like Kpop and Kdrama merge into one.. IT'S EVERYTHING YOU COULD ASK FOR. And for me, my ULTIMATE BIAS Choi Sooyoung in a Kdrama is just a dream come true. T.T  Without her, I could've just waited for this drama to finish and binge-watch it. I would've watched it the moment I knew that Seo Inguk is in it. I LOVE HIM DEARLY TOO. I've watched all his dramas (except Hello Monster, I still haven't watched bc I didn't have time to spare. I know I should watch it now but it could wait huhu) and I really love him as an actor! <3

We could all agree that the CAST is a much important aspect as to why we watch a drama.. Close to the first place would be because of the plot. And just admit that when we all saw the summary,

"The task force chief of Seoul City Hall and a con man work together to collect taxes from those who avoid paying large amounts."

It didn't really thrill me. I know. I surely don't think that anymore after I watched it. It's different form all the dramas that I've watched and kept me on the edge of my seat everything I'm watching.

When I saw the teaser with all the 3 main leads, I squealed for I don't know how long and I rewatched it too many times already

And some things that came to my mind are all cliche scenes that a bad guy who joins hands with a good guy and bickers with the good girl but later falls in love with her. That's my initial thought. I had no problem on how they proved my thoughts wrong and my expectations were fulfilled the moment I saw the breakup scene. I thought, "Oh that's how they're gonna link the two characters.." and of course again I squealed and screamed just like a crazy fan girl (lol) just thinking that they will later show the real reason, scenes when they dated, etc. so many things I expect and even though they showed how Sunghee hates Jungdo I still had that grin on my face because I know deep down that everything would be alright. :)

3. "Sooyoung's character has become useless and she just became an accessory/ plot device to this drama"

Hmm. This. We won't know for sure until we watch the last 2 episodes. Really. Just like what I saw someone said, Sunghee appears for a little time but when she does, she says the right words and makes a great impact.. I still firmly believe that her character is important and therefore not useless. Sunghee is what makes this drama closer to the reality. A girl who stands for what is right. Also ignore what I said at the top where I suspected her being the 'betrayer' I repeat. It's just a crazy thought that I can't help but blurt out. LOL

That's it for now, I'll see you guys later. Live stream please work! :)

Guest phi3nk

CpFBU4pUIAIRpa6.jpg

Just in case if you have interested to have DVD as collection. 

I'm happy a lot ot supporting casts got many attentions through this drama. There are a lot of interviews, not only the main leads, PD, the writer, but also the supporting actors as well.

Burner's interview in http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002581879

Aww... He looks so different in this photo

htm_20160805134931856548_99_201608051619

I guess the betrayer is Burner. Guessing from his hands and his watch, hehe... coz the person who like to wear watch are between JD, Burner and Sung Il.

I hope these 2 last eps, all the questions will answered satisfactorily.

or I'll tweak the writer like what Ch.Wang did on JD, heee...

mix22.gif?type=w1200

22.gif?type=w1200

Okay fine.. I'll say can we have Ma Jin Seok ahjussi  fior the final 15-16 episodes?! Ha ha ha ha... yeah know that guy was terrific the first few episodes of  38TF. Excited for laterz!  Waiting for the squad!

OT below...just this once...

@phi3nk   you gonna do thread for Lee Je Hoon new drama?  tag me, ok. :D

3 hours ago, thecrazedkfangirl said:

Another thing. Yes, I admit. Without Sooyoung, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be wasting my time commenting and posting and making an fb page for this drama.

Oh, right! Me too. I am the admin on a FB fan page Sooyoung in my country. Recently, It seems like FB fan page of 38 Task Force :))) 
"This is also the first drma that I watched live in a live stream." - Yep, me too, I haven't seen drama for a long time and now 38 Task Force has become my habit. It's hard to say goodbye :((

17 hours ago, catocat said:

@pafaccio sorry for my late reply. My heart was occupied with another show. I also agree with you. Everything in the show is too convenient and everything keeps getting sorted out automatically without much efforts from the Con team. There are logical issues which i talked earlier too. As i said earlier Writer plays with timeline to fool the audience. ok accepted. But keeping information from audience while characters have full knowledge of it doesn't look awesome at all. Though, we viewers still accept it as a goof twist and praise the writer.

Although it may seem that way, I'm not really convinced that everything does wrap up all that easily or conveniently. Sure they've had a couple of significant victories but they were hard-earned and the team also needed to rely on help by others outside the circle like BSI's cop friend and Chairman Wang. Despite only owing $5 million, MJS wasn't exactly easy pickings either. It took the team about 6 episodes to take him down and while he did bite, he acted characteristically cautiously. He was pretty suspicious initially and sprung a surprise on BSI by wanting to meet with his "contact" immediately so everyone was (hilariously) scrambling around to make it work. That was one of many close calls. Furthermore I don't agree that there was no cost to the team. City Hall caught on, the nasty cop caught on and BSI was nearly caught. Trust issues emerged. JD did go back to jail. BSI had play the subservient office drone for 2 years because they were misled into thinking that Chairman Choi had a son.

I'm no expert on how con-artists work but I have no doubt that they would need to have a better than average working knowledge of human psychology. I'm thinking specifically of JD's fake business event with him acting like a motivational speaker. He certainly knows how to manipulate people and push their buttons. I've been to such events and people do get very hyped and readily buy into these sorts of schemes in the heat of the moment. It isn't just the money, it's also about being a part of something bigger.

Con artists are successful because they tap into something that's at the core of people: Greed. The reason why a con works is because people want something for nothing. It's the same thing with gambling and buying lottery tickets. Those things are mathematical rackets but the prospect of getting one's hands on a lot of money without breaking a sweat is so attractive that everyone loses all sense of critical thought.

I think it is very acceptable to withhold information from the audience. Crime dramas do it. All the good heist and caper films/dramas do it. I would venture to say that it's in their DNA to do so. The Italian Job, The Sting, Ocean's 11, Leverage, Vigilantes in Masks. It's no different to watching an illusionist at work. You see the trick but no one's ever going to show you how it's done because it spoils the "magic". In such instances the audience holds the same perspective as the target. And there's nothing wrong with being able to deduce what's about to happen either. It doesn't necessarily mean that the writer is losing his touch, it might just mean that you're catching on to the pattern or logic of how these operations work or how these people think. 

But I don't think that the show is all that predictable. I certainly didn't see the fake son coming even if I were thinking at the time that things were going rather too well and easily for our bromance team.

Archived