[Current Mainland Chinese Movie 2017] Once Upon A Time 三生三世,十里桃花

sugarplum892

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-09-11 at 7:48 PM, lavvarr said:

do y'll have a pdf link to the noval?

The only PDF version I know of can be obtained from the reading subscription website scribd.com. You can sign up for a free trial and get the PDF then but signing up to the site requires a credit card or other payment account.  You can cancel the free trial before 30 days if you don't wish to pay.

You can also buy the English translated version of the novel from Amazon. The title of the book is "To The Sky Kingdom" by Tang Qi. This novel does not include the part known as Ye Hua's epilogue (this epilogue is included in the PDF version off scribd).

Watched the drama and this movie plus I also read the novel. The movie was rather horrible b/c I felt nothing. I actually sort of laughed when BQ and YH kissed and professed to love each other because it felt silly and lacked conviction. I didn't feel that CGI was enough to make up for the lack of story and character arc and drive. And sadly the actor playing YH compared badly to Mark Cao.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:19 PM, mooninpisces said:

The only PDF version I know of can be obtained from the reading subscription website scribd.com. You can sign up for a free trial and get the PDF then but signing up to the site requires a credit card or other payment account.  You can cancel the free trial before 30 days if you don't wish to pay.

You can also buy the English translated version of the novel from Amazon. The title of the book is "To The Sky Kingdom" by Tang Qi. This novel does not include the part known as Ye Hua's epilogue (this epilogue is included in the PDF version off scribd).

The lack of the epilogue is sad since the six epilogues are awesome.

i watched the drama when it was on air and read the novel sometime afterwards :) totally loved the drama.

but for the movie , i felt nothing. didn't like it. though it was wonderfully done and the scenes were good and a great cinematography, but no chemistry to be honest. too much change for the movie. and i recommend watching the drama and the novel before watching this movie cause it's so confusing :) 

On 2017-09-17 at 8:03 AM, dramalover1 said:

Watched the drama and this movie plus I also read the novel. The movie was rather horrible b/c I felt nothing. I actually sort of laughed when BQ and YH kissed and professed to love each other because it felt silly and lacked conviction. I didn't feel that CGI was enough to make up for the lack of story and character arc and drive. And sadly the actor playing YH compared badly to Mark Cao.

The lack of the epilogue is sad since the six epilogues are awesome.

Six epilogues?!

Other than Ye Hua's, what are the other epilogues about?

7 hours ago, mooninpisces said:

Six epilogues?!

Other than Ye Hua's, what are the other epilogues about?

The one about BQ's brother.

Let's see...one about how YH got jealous of Ah Li for taking BQ away from him all the time, one about the 9th Disciple of MY who survives to the very end in the novel (btw - in the novel he wasn't kidnapped to be adopted but to become the king's bride),  one about how BQ decides to rename Ah Li and even tho the new name is horrible, YH agrees with BQ to make her happy, where it's stated that BQ's pregnant w/ their 2nd kid. But the meatiest one is of course the one explaining YH's background, like how he was born, raised and met SuSu, etc. In the novel, YH saw that Su Su pushed Su Jin. My guess is that Su Jin's acting was so convincing that from YH's angle, it looked like Su Su really pushed Su Jin on the platform.

Those are the ones that I can recall. I don't have the book on me right now. 

9 hours ago, tintin92 said:

i watched the drama when it was on air and read the novel sometime afterwards :) totally loved the drama.

but for the movie , i felt nothing. didn't like it. though it was wonderfully done and the scenes were good and a great cinematography, but no chemistry to be honest. too much change for the movie. and i recommend watching the drama and the novel before watching this movie cause it's so confusing :) 

I thought the movie sacrificed the character chemistry and motivation for visual effect. Which is sad because nobody goes to movies to watch pretty CGI anymore. Pretty visual effects are just too common now.

I watched the CDrama and read the book (I have the Amazon version and another fan translated version) I think doing both actually helped me understand the movie better. IMHO, both the movie main characters were not given enough time to grow on the viewers. I felt very disconnected to them. There were also so many unexplained things which needed the book for me to understand better. Maybe the director wanted to really have notable differences from both the book and the drama so as to give a fresh new spin to the story, I don't know, but I understand why the movie supposedly flopped.  

19 hours ago, dramalover1 said:

Let's see...one about how YH got jealous of Ah Li for taking BQ away from him all the time, one about the 9th Disciple of MY who survives to the very end in the novel (btw - in the novel he wasn't kidnapped to be adopted but to become the king's bride),  one about how BQ decides to rename Ah Li and even tho the new name is horrible, YH agrees with BQ to make her happy, where it's stated that BQ's pregnant w/ their 2nd kid. But the meatiest one is of course the one explaining YH's background, like how he was born, raised and met SuSu, etc. In the novel, YH saw that Su Su pushed Su Jin. My guess is that Su Jin's acting was so convincing that from YH's angle, it looked like Su Su really pushed Su Jin on the platform.

Thanks for the details about the epilogues @dramalover1

I wonder why they weren't included in the English version of the novel. It's a shame.

6 hours ago, mooninpisces said:

Thanks for the details about the epilogues @dramalover1

I wonder why they weren't included in the English version of the novel. It's a shame.

Probably the translator got lazy. I know a lot of Korean fans bought the translation for the epilogues because they aren't in the drama either. 

As for Ah Li's new name, BQ was pregnant and reading a book and saw some phrase she liked about black dragon or something (can't recall exactly which). So she told YH Ah Li should get a new name and it should be Black-being or something like that. Ah Li, who was eavesdropping, was horrified. YH didn't think it was a great name either because Ah Li is a white dragon. (IIRC in their universe, a child takes on the shape of his father and color of his mother. Since YH is a black dragon, and BQ is a white 9-tail fox, Ah Li is a white dragon.)  But since BQ sounded so hopeful and excited when she suggested the name, YH said that it was a good name, and Ah Li burst into tears outside their palace. (But he doesn't get the name BQ came up w/ after all...)

On 9/19/2017 at 6:24 AM, dramalover1 said:

I thought the movie sacrificed the character chemistry and motivation for visual effect. Which is sad because nobody goes to movies to watch pretty CGI anymore. Pretty visual effects are just too common now.

there were other movies like this as well ( my sunshine and love O2O) That sacrificed the characters. well it's a movie actually the purpose is to be a blockbuster :) i watched once upon a time with a friend ( she hasn't seen the drama) and she was way too confused. their chemistry was haste and everything happened so fast :D it was a great movie if it hadn't been with plot holes.

14 minutes ago, tintin92 said:

there were other movies like this as well ( my sunshine and love O2O) That sacrificed the characters. well it's a movie actually the purpose is to be a blockbuster :) i watched once upon a time with a friend ( she hasn't seen the drama) and she was way too confused. their chemistry was haste and everything happened so fast :D it was a great movie if it hadn't been with plot holes.

I think they tried to capitalize on the popularity of the dramas ,but failed. It is very hard to adopt a novel or drama into a movie because if you handle it poorly you destroy the character arc and story arc, both of which you have to have in order for it to be compelling. It doesn't matter if it's romance, fantasy or action. I usually say Terminator 2 is one of the best movies produced because all the actions and spectacles are there to serve the characters and story arc, rather than story and characters being there to create action scenes and spectacles. 

Archived