[Current Mainland Chinese Movie 2017] Once Upon A Time 三生三世,十里桃花

sugarplum892

17 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

I FINALLY WATCHED THE MOVIE TODAY!.

BTW, a lot of people were wondering if it was Mo Yuan or Ye Hua who came back at the end...I personally think it's Ye Hua. Cuz it was Ye Hua was said the line "Qian Qian, come here" in the original novel. And I guess one could argue "but maybe they changed it for the movie, and it IS the master" but also remember that Mo Yuan always called her "seventeen" (cuz she's the 17th disciple). He wouldn't call her Qian Qian. Also, I'm not sure if Mo Yuan even KNEW Bai Qian's real name. He obviously knew she was a female disguised as a male but I don't think he knew she was the princess of Qing Qiu. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Agree with your points!

I interpreted the ending differently (I may have already commented on this):

I think the movie makes Ye Hua and Mo Yuan the same soul. His love for her remains no matter which he comes back as. Remember the scene in the movie at the end where Qing Cang "recognizes" Ye Hua as the Bell Keeper? Why would he say this as he had never met Ye Hua before, only Mo Yuan? There were other clues suggesting this idea too. I like it if that's the case. Then both YH and MY "win" 

:wub: 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, mooninpisces said:

Agree with your points!

I interpreted the ending differently (I may have already commented on this):

Reveal hidden contents

I think the movie makes Ye Hua and Mo Yuan the same soul. His love for her remains no matter which he comes back as. Remember the scene in the movie at the end where Qing Cang "recognizes" Ye Hua as the Bell Keeper? Why would he say this as he had never met Ye Hua before, only Mo Yuan? There were other clues suggesting this idea too. I like it if that's the case. Then both YH and MY "win" 

:wub: 

If Ye Hua and Mo Yuan were the same person, then technically speaking, Ye Hua would be the reincarnation of Mo Yuan, right? Your theory basically implies Mo Yuan sacrificed himself and later got reborn as Ye Hua. Because of their twisted fate, he meets Bai Qian again. And during this life as Ye Hua, he dies once again. When he revives (the ending), it's his 3rd life time. Successfully playing tribute to the novel's title. Am I understanding you correctly? You're basically saying he's the one all along. 

But I'd have to disagree. I don't think that is the case. Remember Zhe Yan said that Mo Yuan's scattered soul has finally made its recovery and all Bai Qian needs to do is to borrow the lamp to revive her master. If Mo Yuan's soul was still scattered in the wilderness of heaven and earth, that means he never got to reincarnate. And if Mo Yuan never got to reincarnate, then where the hell did Ye Hua come from? The fact that Ye Hua was born while Mo Yuan's soul was still scattered means that they are indeed two separate souls/people.

6 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

If Ye Hua and Mo Yuan were the same person, then technically speaking, Ye Hua would be the reincarnation of Mo Yuan, right? Your theory basically implies Mo Yuan sacrificed himself and later got reborn as Ye Hua. Because of their twisted fate, he meets Bai Qian again. And during this life as Ye Hua, he dies once again. When he revives (the ending), it's his 3rd life time. Successfully playing tribute to the novel's title. Am I understanding you correctly? You're basically saying he's the one all along. 

But I'd have to disagree. I don't think that is the case. Remember Zhe Yan said that Mo Yuan's scattered soul has finally made its recovery and all Bai Qian needs to do is to borrow the lamp to revive her master. If Mo Yuan's soul was still scattered in the wilderness of heaven and earth, that means he never got to reincarnate. And if Mo Yuan never got to reincarnate, then where the hell did Ye Hua come from? The fact that Ye Hua was born while Mo Yuan's soul was still scattered means that they are indeed two separate souls/people.

But then what about the scene where...

the block of ice shatters and the entombed Mo Yuan opens his eyes? The man extending his arm to QQ in the Peach grove afterwards is wearing the same garb as popsicle MY... If it is YH, then he is borrowing MY's body? Argh! Ambiguous endings!

I agree the scattered soul comment throws things off.

Regardless, I like either theory as I'm a sucker for happy endings. :)

Btw, has a release date been announced for the DVD? Too soon to announce yet since still in theatres?

6 hours ago, mooninpisces said:

But then what about the scene where...

Hide contents

the block of ice shatters and the entombed Mo Yuan opens his eyes? The man extending his arm to QQ in the Peach grove afterwards is wearing the same garb as popsicle MY... If it is YH, then he is borrowing MY's body? Argh! Ambiguous endings!

I agree the scattered soul comment throws things off.

Regardless, I like either theory as I'm a sucker for happy endings. :)

Btw, has a release date been announced for the DVD? Too soon to announce yet since still in theatres?

We all know Ye Hua eventually got "buried" in Wu Wang Sea. It's highly possible that the heaven people (his parents) retrieved the body from the water and used ice to preserve his body as well. And now going back to the movie (LQ version), the one who woke up and the one who said "Qian Qian come here" had different hair styles. So it's possible we saw both Mo Yuan and Ye Hua come back to life.

Another point I mentioned before still stands. Ye Hua is the literally the only one who calls her "Qian Qian". Her parents and brothers call her "Xiao Wu" (aka little five, since she's the 5th child). In Kun Lun Mountain, she's known as Si Yin, but Mo Yuan and her seniors call her "Seventeen" (cuz she's the 17th disciple). No one else calls her Qian Qian. Even Li Jing continued to call her "A Yin" after finding out her real identity. Ye Hua is the only one who uses "Qian Qian". So while it's possible that the one we saw wake up is Mo Yuan but using context clues, the one at the peach forest in the end is Ye Hua.

They tried to throw us off but I refuse to let them confuse me lol. PS: What if they purposely made it suspenseful because they wanted to make a sequel? But judging by the low ratings and reviews, that probably won't happen now. They probably didn't think the movie was gonna do that bad. BTW, I have no idea when the DVD will be released.

I havent watch yet but these are what i read. Quite a number of chinese websites and forums tend to agree that the 2 are the same.

1. Qingcang called Moyuan and Yehua "Shou Zhong Ren"...or Bell Keeper. Unless it is a title or post...then it can mean he know they are same person. 

2. One part Zheyan said to Baiqian...u thought u recognise the wrong/different person, it is not. Does he know something?

3. Moyuan used his blood to seal the bell. Later Tuanzi's blood is used to unlock it. In the drama serial...they are abit like uncle-nephew. But in movie, if follow Moyuan and Yehua are same logic...then they are father and son...they are closer.

4. Maybe either the movie didnt explain it well (since it is quite short), perhaps memory and soul can be similar here. When Moyuan died...maybe part of it was reborn into a new blank self..while his memories were scattered. Similarly when Baiqian's memories were suppressed...she become close to a blank soul Susu. The lamp is used to collect the memories. When Yehua died...everything including both selves' memories went back to Moyuan's body. Since Moyuan now got Yehua's memories...he would naturally call Baiqian...Qianqian.

Note these are what i read...if any wrong part...feel free to correct. And also different intepretations are not wrong...it is normal.

Just watched this in theatres earlier and I loved it! I dare say I prefer the movie over the drama as it only highlights Yehua-Bai Qian and no annoying other side characters:rolleyes:

Although in terms of characterization naturally drama is better. For costumes, effects-wise - the movie gets a thumbs up. I actually thought Yang Yang looked prettier than our female lead LoL:lol::tongue: Ah-Li in the drama was more adorable though.. 

And oh my the love scenes in the movie were hotter than the drama! There's definitely a lot of chemistry between Yang Yang-Liu Yifei. Er--Xuan Nu's costume look like a Maleficent cheap knockoff<_< and Su Jin's er...cleavage was uh distracting:tongue: 

Overall I enjoy both drama/movie, they each have their own charm/appeal. The ending left me confused. But to me it seems Yehua got another chance to start over as Mo Yuan. IDK why but the scene where QianQian calls out to Yehua from the iceberg was like a scene from Titanic:w00t:

Read from wiki....Australia will show on 31 Aug. Then Germany, Thailand and South Korea in Sep, dates unknown. 

Sidetrack abit on the lead actor Yang Yang....his debut in 2010 Dream of Red Mansions.

Spoiler

He debut as Jia Baoyu (adult version) in the 2010 drama Dream of the Red Mansions...around 17yo.  There's something precious when he broke into a smile.

He was a dancer b4 acting.

17 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Read from wiki....Australia will show on 31 Aug. Then Germany, Thailand and South Korea in Sep, dates unknown. 

Sidetrack abit on the lead actor Yang Yang....his debut in 2010 Dream of Red Mansions.

Reveal hidden contents

He debut as Jia Baoyu (adult version) in the 2010 drama Dream of the Red Mansions...around 17yo.  There's something precious when he broke into a smile.

He was a dancer b4 acting.

Omg... baby Yang Yang!

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, dhannylyn said:

Wanna see the movie version. Not sure it wil be shown in my part of the globe :(

hope there will be someone who will upload it online 

Today is your lucky day because I literally just found the official HD version on youtube! :D

EDIT: I just realized that in the very last scene, where Bai Qian runs around looking for Ye Hua at the peach blossom forest, the original audio was taken out and replaced with audio from the trailer. I believe it's because of the copyright issues with the BGM (aka the OST). Will update when I find a version without the edited audio.

3 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

Here's another copy of the movie on youtube. Except it's only in 480p

Tthanks alot. Im quite confused with the ending tho :)

3 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

13 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

Here's another copy of the movie on youtube. Except it's only in 480p

thanks ! I was able to get the 1080 yesterday...amazing cinematography ...I loved the different adaptation - I've read the novel and watched TMOP...this one was a nice variation.  However I do think the ending was very oblique.  If you've seen TMOPB then it makes total sense. Not sure if the rewinding the past - helps viewers who don't know the characters...that didn't work well...but over all - it's brilliantly made...

To those who have not seen the movie or to any future visitors of this thread, here are a couple of download links I found for the movie:

1) http://www.mediafire.com/file/p4y144crcuo2bva/[HD]+Once+Upon+A+Time+(2017).mp4

2) https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t2elw9sewhh1u6/[HD] Once Upon A Time (Crystal Liu%2C Yang Yang).mp4?dl=0

On 9/6/2017 at 6:31 PM, deltos said:

thanks ! I was able to get the 1080 yesterday...amazing cinematography ...I loved the different adaptation - I've read the novel and watched TMOP...this one was a nice variation.  However I do think the ending was very oblique.  If you've seen TMOPB then it makes total sense. Not sure if the rewinding the past - helps viewers who don't know the characters...that didn't work well...but over all - it's brilliantly made...

hi, do you hv the 1080 hd quality? can i hv the link please? thank you

53 minutes ago, Daesung86 said:

hi, do you hv the 1080 hd quality? can i hv the link please? thank you

Sorry I don't have it - the link was taken down from YT.  There is another link but it's 480. quality.

Spoiler

Archived