[Current Mainland Chinese Movie 2017] Once Upon A Time 三生三世,十里桃花

sugarplum892

i think the movie took after the book..the book started with baiquin jumping off the zhuxiantai and starts out with the third life...and hence everything in novel is actually a flashback as well...it was very confusing to figure out the three lives in the book and that is what happened with the movie version....I never thought the novel was well written

In the novel it never showed moqian love for baiqian nor the sacrifices that yuehua made for her very clearly ...

In the drama version it was done in chronological order so we were able to understand the three lives..thank the better script and editor and director for this..

in the novel yuehua was very thick skinned to go after her in the third life..mark did do that when he asked her to get in bed with him when she was nun ...when he made himself into her home.. it was same in movie version that yang yang was thick skinned but he showed more of a flirting aspect..

Both mark and yang yang has same line :in the end all I wanted is just a you"...and then mark took her to bed...no one criticized mark for that line yet they over criticized yang yang for that line as if he wrote the script...that line was in the novel

i do think yang yang is not the best actor in general ..his acting in h2o was stiff but I don't think criticize needed to trash an actor so mean

they trashed mark so bad as well even before the drama version was aired

I really think these Chinese are not only harsh but so barbaric...u don't like something u don't need to use terrible words or bad slashing .....not everyone is like that  but unfortunately u see so much uneducated use of words to criticized the movie 

the buggest problem of the movie version is that it fell victim to being aired after the drama version in the same year...the movie version was produced 2 to 3 years ago...if it was broadcast first I bet people would complain the drama version ...too much stupid comprison...they even compare the movie to the other fighting movie one on air now for no reason..there was also too much promotion 

this movie version  was doomed the moment before it even was to broadcast..the moment the drama version ended...even without all the issues of it...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, yudhown said:

Hai... i've been looking for the novel in english translation, could you email me the pdf at yudithgirl@yahoo.com thankyou so much

I actually ordered the book from Amazon. It's titled To The Sky Kingdom by Tang Qi. I'm afraid I'm not aware of any PDF format.

1 hour ago, moon-flower said:

I hope there's a higher quality one floating around. I searched everywhere and can't find a less blurry version. I can't believe migu is animated...lol

I also didn't think he was gonna be animated. I think they're trying to make him a marketable character for future movie related merchandise lol. I don't hate the idea but I think I'm more used to him being in human form. I mean, after all, he is a tree spirit, but in the movie, they made him look like a walking vegetable lol

11 hours ago, yudhown said:

Hai... i've been looking for the novel in english translation, could you email me the pdf at yudithgirl@yahoo.com thankyou so much

I found the ebook version on Amazon Kindle, it's only like $4. You can't really find it anywhere for free (unless it's the original Chinese text). If you really don't want to spend the money, you can sign up for Amazon Kindle Unlimited. You get a 30 day free trial. Depending on how much you read on a regular basis or how much time you actually have on your hands, your free trial may end before you're even anywhere near finished. BUT BUT BUT...

Here's a tip (well not really): Get the free trial, open it up on your computer, and then screen capture + save each page of the novel. Even if your free trial ends after 30 days, you can still read the novel afterwards (aka your screen shots). If you finish reading within 30 days, great. If you don't, no worries cuz it's all on your computer now.

PS: I say screen capture because copy and paste doesn't work. It won't let you. They've purposely made it so that you can't extract the text. Trust me, I've tried it before lol. It's a lot of work to screen capture each page (the whole thing is 400+ pages) but that's why I say it's not really considered a tip lol but hey, just a thought.

On 2017-08-03 at 2:19 PM, Cedric Ong said:

I won't comment too much....can only say the reviews aren't as good as expected. It would still sell very very well....for the actors got so much fans, the movie got high expectations in the 1st place...and due to the companies behind the movie.

One thing i guess i can reveal....a major change in the storyline....

Hide contents

Think they combine MoYan and YeHua as one....rather than totally 2 different persons/souls (as in the novel and tv version).

I haven't watch....only got some hints from china reviews. It's like when one "died", he's reborn into another being....when that being later "died", the soul would go back to the 1st one and wake up.

After having watched it, I think you're right about Ye Hua and Mo Yuan. 

like this idea if that's the case. It highlights how his soul loves BQ eternally.

In the movie, it seems like they are the same soul that reincarnates. In which case there is no "competition" between Ye Hua and Mo Yuan. They are in essence the the same being. [/

spoilers]

9 hours ago, El Lieu said:

i do think yang yang is not the best actor in general ..his acting in h2o was stiff but I don't think criticize needed to trash an actor so mean.

In my part of the world, we don't get much in the way of Chinese entertainment news. I hesitate to ask, but I'm curious... what is it that people are saying to trash Yang Yang so badly?

5 hours ago, mundane9 said:

Marc Zhao's English and accent is pretty spot on as I have heard a lot worse from chinese celebs speaking english. My heroo

He should speak English well since he lived in Canada for long time.   English is spoken language in Canada.  I have a co-worker and he is from Winnipeg, Canada.  He said they speak English up there. He only knows little French.

Remember the movie OST sung by Na Ying? Well there's a Liu Yi Fei and Yang Yang version of it as well!

Their voices mix so well together (maybe I'm being biased but I like their version more than the original lol). It's probably because I like the fact that it's a male/female duet. I like the harmonies. They aren't amazing singers but they're definitely decent enough to pull this song off.

(PS: For those who don't know, there was a time in Liu Yi Fei's career where she tried to make it as a pop singer. She eventually gave that up because I don't think it did that well. But I'm glad she's still occasionally recording OSTs)

Music Video 

Full Studio Version

Bonus: Liu Yi Fei as a pop singer. She hasn't aged at all, it's absolutely amazing.

1 hour ago, girl_group_lover said:

Remember the movie OST sung by Na Ying? Well there's a Liu Yi Fei and Yang Yang version of it as well!

Their voices mix so well together (maybe I'm being biased but I like their version more than the original lol). It's probably because I like the fact that it's a male/female duet. I like the harmonies. They aren't amazing singers but they're definitely decent enough to pull this song off.

(PS: For those who don't know, there was a time in Liu Yi Fei's career where she tried to make it as a pop singer. She eventually gave that up because I don't think it did that well. But I'm glad she's still occasionally recording OSTs)

Music Video 

Full Studio Version

Bonus: Liu Yi Fei as a pop singer. She hasn't aged at all, it's absolutely amazing.

@girl_group_lover omg!!!!!! thank you so much!!!! i've been waiting for their version. hopefully somebody put the full link for the soundtrack for this movie. been waiting patiently for this movie version ever since i finished watch the drama version. thank you again :wub::wub::D

1 hour ago, girl_group_lover said:

@sorein @frostflower14 @mooninpisces @mundane9 @moon-flower

I found a less blurry version of the movie on youtube!

(Despite the thumbnail, it is not HD, but definitely 10 times better than what we had before)

yayyyy at last!!!! thank you so so much :heart:

The video I posted earlier got deleted. Here's another one:

If this one gets deleted too, it's okay, I downloaded the video already. I can upload the video file somewhere (like on mediafire) and give yall the link so you guys can download the movie on your own time. Obviously that is if you're really desperate for the movie. 

PS: I actually haven't watched the movie yet, I'm gonna be seeing it in the theaters next week. So I figure I'll just experience the movie full on when I eventually go. (I'm really trying to hold back and not watch it lol)

19 hours ago, mundane9 said:

Marc Zhao's English and accent is pretty spot on as I have heard a lot worse from chinese celebs speaking english. My herooo

He went to school in Canada!

2 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

The video I posted earlier got deleted. Here's another one:

If this one gets deleted too, it's okay, I downloaded the video already. I can upload the video file somewhere (like on mediafire) and give yall the link so you guys can download the movie on your own time. Obviously that is if you're really desperate for the movie. 

PS: I actually haven't watched the movie yet, I'm gonna be seeing it in the theaters next week. So I figure I'll just experience the movie full on when I eventually go. (I'm really trying to hold back and not watch it lol)

I did watch it earlier today, what a disappointment!

On 8/6/2017 at 0:50 AM, safarimoon11 said:

i watched the movie. while i will not go to the extent of calling this a terrible movie, it is certainly mediocre. for the good parts, the special effects are well done and much better than the tacky CGI characters in the drama. i actually also like the lead actress in the movie. For me she looks more lovable than yang mi in the drama. I took a bit of time for me to warm up to yang mi. 

now for the bad parts. whether or not you know the drama version, this movie will not likely please you. 

if you did not know the drama, the story will be baffling. Special effects cannot make up for lack of coherence. The idea to constantly go back and forth from the present to the past turned out to be a pretty bad idea. And while i understand and support the need to cut many characters and side story, there was lack of explanation on important parts. 

if you know the drama, the  story will be understandable (thanks to your pre-knowledge), however the movie itself will be disappointing. i can point to many areas that you can find fault - e.g. the ludicrous costumes of the supporting characters - the audience actually laughed the first time the phoenix came on to the screen - not the reaction you wanted! Thankfully, the qian qian and ye hwa are (mostly) costumed right, however the wedding scene of qian qian elicited another laughter with over the top headdress. But to me costume can be overlooked. What brought it down ultimately is lack of emotional connection. The actor yang yang is not so bad, but he suffers from comparison with mark chao. Whether it is the fault of the story pacing or the deficiency of acting skills, the scenes felt flat. 

For fans of the series, go ahead and watch. Arm yourself with low expectation and you may still enjoy the beautiful scenes. Certainly the ~2hrs flew by quickly. For non-fans, stay away, it will leave you baffled. 

There is certainly a lack of chemistry between the OTP. 

Last night I watch the "Ten Miles" (movie version, the blurry version).

It is start as after Bai Qian jump from the Zhu Xin Terrace and forgot everything.

Movie kinda of the recap of the whole novel Bai Qian forgot - Go to party - Meet Ye Hua and Rice Ball (no explaination how Ye Hua can be sure that it is Bai Qian=susu) - Straight away meet Su jin ... kinda short compare the series. but the CGI was nice.. I love the CGI when Bai Qian transform to 9 tail fox.. very beautiful and the scene of the under water... very beautiful.

For those did not read the novel, I think they will confuse watching the movie..

It great that the series come first become the series understand us the story from begining where bai qian become mo yuan dispicle and end up in the fox cave - meet ye hua - fall in love - found out by the king - bring susu to heaven - and the tragedy start... :D

Archived