Quantcast
Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sugarplum892

[Current Mainland Chinese Movie 2017] Once Upon A Time 三生三世,十里桃花

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Hesitate to reveal too much since the movie isn't shown in many countries yet.

Ok...some parts viewers not so like. Warning spoilers. 

  Hide contents

Wedding dress and headdress. Think some costume and set design (if not all)....they fail to balance the china fantasy theme (traditional) and grand/extraordinary feel (of a movie compared to a smaller tv drama style)....in the end, some stuff feel neither eastern or western culture...awkward.

31e1000212132e256420

Exaggerated cooking show? Noodle making. Think just only from this scene....my impression/guess is this version of YeHua is different from the TV drama's one. 

31e1000203754627c88b

 

This one not necessary dislike. But Mi Gu, the tree spirit is animated char here instead of actor. Viewers do find it cute.31e300009b8f5c2fca54

 

 

 

Those wedding costumes sure look weird though,maybe the costume designer was drunk when he/she came up with that design.

Mi Gu is animated? Maybe they are trying to sell some plushies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2017 at 7:19 PM, Cedric Ong said:

I won't comment too much....can only say the reviews aren't as good as expected. It would still sell very very well....for the actors got so much fans, the movie got high expectations in the 1st place...and due to the companies behind the movie.

One thing i guess i can reveal....a major change in the storyline....

  Reveal hidden contents

Think they combine MoYan and YeHua as one....rather than totally 2 different persons/souls (as in the novel and tv version).

I haven't watch....only got some hints from china reviews. It's like when one "died", he's reborn into another being....when that being later "died", the soul would go back to the 1st one and wake up.

 

Hello! :wink:

I am dying to watch it but it won't air in my country. Is there any other "way" to watch it?

thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sorein said:

Hello! :wink:

I am dying to watch it but it won't air in my country. Is there any other "way" to watch it?

thanks!!

 There's a very blurry version on YouTube but no subtitles. I tried watching it,but it was hurting my eyes after a while, so be warned!

Search term is 电影三生三世十里桃花

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Hesitate to reveal too much since the movie isn't shown in many countries yet.

Ok...some parts viewers not so like. Warning spoilers. 

  Reveal hidden contents

Wedding dress and headdress. Think some costume and set design (if not all)....they fail to balance the china fantasy theme (traditional) and grand/extraordinary feel (of a movie compared to a smaller tv drama style)....in the end, some stuff feel neither eastern or western culture...awkward.

31e1000212132e256420

Exaggerated cooking show? Noodle making. Think just only from this scene....my impression/guess is this version of YeHua is different from the TV drama's one. 

31e1000203754627c88b

 

This one not necessary dislike. But Mi Gu, the tree spirit is animated char here instead of actor. Viewers do find it cute.31e300009b8f5c2fca54

 

 

 

Ah ha! I was wondering who the green critter was. Thanks for the reveal.

As for Bai Qian's headdress...:blink: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the Chinese...seomthing about after three days they r refunding the tickets?  People don't n china way too harsh..

 

i rhink the drama cersion was too good too good that they so criticize the movie version....this was prepared three years ago...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

 There's a very blurry version on YouTube but no subtitles. I tried watching it,but it was hurting my eyes after a while, so be warned!

Search term is 电影三生三世十里桃花

Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, El Lieu said:

I don't understand the Chinese...seomthing about after three days they r refunding the tickets?  People don't n china way too harsh..

 

i rhink the drama cersion was too good too good that they so criticize the movie version....this was prepared three years ago...

 

 

Agree, the drama was brilliant! The angst, the simplicity of the costumes and cinematography, etc.

And above all, Mark!! I was really disappointed with Yang Mi, I thought her performance was flat but he was amazing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sorein said:

Thank you! :)

Agree, the drama was brilliant! The angst, the simplicity of the costumes and cinematography, etc.

And above all, Mark!! I was really disappointed with Yang Mi, I thought her performance was flat but he was amazing!!!

 

I thought Yang Mi gave the best performance of her career. I can distinctly differentiate between the playful 17th, innocent rather gloomy Su Su, but the best one is aloof carefree Bai Qian. Her aloofness combined with the make up and costumes really made her an ethereal goddess. The problem is Mark is too good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

 There's a very blurry version on YouTube but no subtitles. I tried watching it,but it was hurting my eyes after a while, so be warned!

Search term is 电影三生三世十里桃花

The movie in the theatre is Eng subbed. I've also watched the blurred version. The movie is good, just don't compare it with drama. It is only 109 minutes, so they only focus on YH and BQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that's what I mean ..the Chinese people r too harsh...

 

the movie and and the drama should not be compared ...

I loved the drama version but i found flaws in it too like too much su mian time etc..

 

the movie version so short has to just focus on one life and take out the other characters...it was produced two to three years ago and yes at that time yang yang acting was prob not as mature as now...marks is a veteran actor ..

 

blame it it on the director if they don't like the movie version but they were slashing yang yang and liuyifei for the storyline  ..for the crops and costumes...as if they had control of it...it is the directors who put the scenes like the noodle making or deciding what the ending should be...it's not the actors who script write it...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The costume designer talked about the wedding dresses, the idea he got from the wall paints of Dunhuang, meaning the earth and the sky are balanced...

As for the movie, I suggest please forget about drama, just watching it as a new story, then you can understand it and will appreciate their performance. 

I don't want to compare their acting skills with the drama, this is movie forums. I can say Crystal Liu and Yang Yang  better suit with BaiQian and YeHua. Don't forget YH should be younger than BQ 90,000 year's.

This blurred version on YouTube cannot give you 3D view of the movie. Even it won't show in my city, I still like the movie. 

 

8 minutes ago, El Lieu said:

Yes that's what I mean ..the Chinese people r too harsh...

 

the movie and and the drama should not be compared ...

I loved the drama version but i found flaws in it too like too much su mian time etc..

 

the movie version so short has to just focus on one life and take out the other characters...it was produced two to three years ago and yes at that time yang yang acting was prob not as mature as now...marks is a veteran actor ..

 

blame it it on the director if they don't like the movie version but they were slashing yang yang and liuyifei for the storyline  ..for the crops and costumes...as if they had control of it...it is the directors who put the scenes like the noodle making or deciding what the ending should be...it's not the actors who script write it...

 

 

 

Agree with you,  cannot blame the actor and actress for the movie. TBH, the movie is not bad, it is pretty good even though I ONLY SAW the blurred version. I like it. It is the movie that I am expecting for more than 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the movie version online (blurry and without being able to read the subtitles so I'm sure I missed quite a bit of what was going on).

I will definitely go see it at the cinema when it is released here August 11th!

Having read both the novel (English translation) as well as watched the TV series, I knew that a movie under 2 hours could not possibly cover everything. That being said, I still enjoyed it a lot.

Brace yourself. As someone mentioned before, it's really fast-paced. To the point where some scenes seem disjointed unless you are familiar with the story. I think someone being introduced to this story for the first time through the movie will be confused at several points.

I would recommend the movie to everyone who has either read the novel or seen the series, in other words, people familiar with the story.  

It saddens me to hear about all the negative criticism towards the movie. I thought the movie was good knowing that it would have its own storyline apart from the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mooninpisces said:

I just watched the movie version online (blurry and without being able to read the subtitles so I'm sure I missed quite a bit of what was going on).

I will definitely go see it at the cinema when it is released here August 11th!

Having read both the novel (English translation) as well as watched the TV series, I knew that a movie under 2 hours could not possibly cover everything. That being said, I still enjoyed it a lot.

Brace yourself. As someone mentioned before, it's really fast-paced. To the point where some scenes seem disjointed unless you are familiar with the story. I think someone being introduced to this story for the first time through the movie will be confused at several points.

I would recommend the movie to everyone who has either read the novel or seen the series, in other words, people familiar with the story.  

It saddens me to hear about all the negative criticism towards the movie. I thought the movie was good knowing that it would have its own storyline apart from the series.

I agree with you, the movie is definitely worth to see in the theatre. 

Many people are so harss towards the movie in China. I also feel sad about the actors, the staffs and the movie. But still half of the people like the movie. Yang Yang thanked the fans and cried last night at Shanghai premier when the audience supported him. It seems if you want to say movie is good, there're haters will go to your weibo or even Douban to against you. They're crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

Search term is 电影三生三世十里桃花

@frostflower14 i tried the search in utube but too many short vids came up and none of the long one looked like the movie. might have been taken down alread? thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 10:20 AM, Jing Wang said:

Felt bad for MoYan in the drama

@Jing Wang -agree. in the drama MoYuan did not get the girl and lost it to his twin. one could almost say - bad timing on his part. at least in this version - he got the girl. I always felt bad for MoYuan despite adoring YeHua. She shd have married them both...... hahahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mundane9 said:

@frostflower14 i tried the search in utube but too many short vids came up and none of the long one looked like the movie. might have been taken down alread? thx

Here it is (super low quality though)

Spoiler

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

Here it is (super low quality though)

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

 

OMG!!!!! thank u so much...... i think it's been taken down yesterday, i saw the blurred version. wanna watch it again but seems cannot find it. hopefully somebody got the link too for the ost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, girl_group_lover said:

Here it is (super low quality though)

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

 

@girl_group_loverThank YOU SOOOOOO Much.  

Too bad I could not stay with the show for more than 30 mins. Just doesn't compare to the series. The editted storyline-script lacks depth and the acting wasn't compelling. I'm bored from lack of chinese programs of late until the next good series comes along, and love of the 3L3W TV series itself so I tried, really tried to like it. Ended up doing planks to stay engaged instead of being riveted to the screen - which was the reaction to the TV series. THAT bad, and that had nothing to do with the picture quality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know viewers sympathise with Mo Yan for missing out on Bai Qian (following the tv drama).....but he's supposed to pair up with another female char in another story.

Just read that it'll be shown in UK, limited release on 11 Aug. Not sure which cities/cinemas. Haven't came across other new countries mentioned besides the initially-mentioned ones. Same, no news on Australia.

Other news....sorry....still negative one....read that some china cinemas chose to limit no of sessions to cut losses (eg initially over-estimated with too many halls and sessions)...huh??? they messaged many customers to say the movie projectors are not working, so some sessions are cancelled and they will compensate the tickets. Some customers later found the halls show other movies instead. I am quite surprised at this b'cos this movie should still have some selling power due to fans (of the cast and story) and appeal from a big production with good CGI.

One more trivia revealed in some weibo...some fans saw Mark Zhao and his wife Gao Yuanyuan went to watch the movie....haha...YeHua watching YeHua. Well, at least he show his support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i watched the movie. while i will not go to the extent of calling this a terrible movie, it is certainly mediocre. for the good parts, the special effects are well done and much better than the tacky CGI characters in the drama. i actually also like the lead actress in the movie. For me she looks more lovable than yang mi in the drama. I took a bit of time for me to warm up to yang mi. 

now for the bad parts. whether or not you know the drama version, this movie will not likely please you. 

if you did not know the drama, the story will be baffling. Special effects cannot make up for lack of coherence. The idea to constantly go back and forth from the present to the past turned out to be a pretty bad idea. And while i understand and support the need to cut many characters and side story, there was lack of explanation on important parts. 

if you know the drama, the  story will be understandable (thanks to your pre-knowledge), however the movie itself will be disappointing. i can point to many areas that you can find fault - e.g. the ludicrous costumes of the supporting characters - the audience actually laughed the first time the phoenix came on to the screen - not the reaction you wanted! Thankfully, the qian qian and ye hwa are (mostly) costumed right, however the wedding scene of qian qian elicited another laughter with over the top headdress. But to me costume can be overlooked. What brought it down ultimately is lack of emotional connection. The actor yang yang is not so bad, but he suffers from comparison with mark chao. Whether it is the fault of the story pacing or the deficiency of acting skills, the scenes felt flat. 

For fans of the series, go ahead and watch. Arm yourself with low expectation and you may still enjoy the beautiful scenes. Certainly the ~2hrs flew by quickly. For non-fans, stay away, it will leave you baffled. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...