Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

By the way, @phikyl at 4:20, did you notice TK's schoolbag hanging on his chair? It looked like schoolbag of JH, too. 

Sometimes, I think JH is like that -- gruff -- because of his mom.  Did you notice how his mom called for him to come home for dinner? She sounded angry, lol.  The other two moms sounded quite nice compared to JH's mom.  And TK's dad was the most soft-spoken.  He didn't even call him by name. He called him "son." 

Also missing was DR's mom. He was going home to an empty house. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

By the way, @phikyl at 4:20, did you notice TK's schoolbag hanging on his chair? It looked like schoolbag of JH, too. 

I didn't notice that! I'm going to have to skim back to that when we finish this episode. 

JH's characteristics are really similar to those of his mother. I think someone pointed out that a relationship between him and DS would be like that of his parents but while DS and JH's dad share personality traits, JH's dad is much more confident in himself and his love for his wife than DS is.

SW's mom comes across as overprotective of SW. It's just a small bandaid on his chin and she automatically jumps to the conclusion that he got into a fight. At that age there's plenty of reasons why he might have a bandaid on his face, and with his personality a fight is the least likely.  

19 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

I'm a middle child myself and that birthday scene is so correct. That one really hit the feels. I know what it's like to sacrifice yourself for the good of others and not getting the attention you need. I'm not trying to get some attention here, but this just really felt like something recognisable to me. As has been the case for a great deal of this series. I really could identify myself with DS, temper tantrums and all.

BTW, how can you guys watch and type at the same time? I really need to stop the series before I can type again. Considering this tablet is far from quick, I'm watching on tv and internet on the tablet (and even that is difficult for this little thing). I guess this once again proves men are incapable of doing two things at the same time.

*and breath out*

I watch on my iphone and type on my laptop. Ehhhh... having problems with multi-tasking? That's too funny. 

But hey, at least you admitted it. lol. Some men would DIE before recognizing such inability. 

3 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I didn't notice that! I'm going to have to skim back to that when we finish this episode. 

JH's characteristics are really similar to those of his mother. I think someone pointed out that a relationship between him and DS would be like that of his parents but while DS and JH's dad share personality traits, JH's dad is much more confident in himself and his love for his wife than DS is.

SW's mom comes across as overprotective of SW. It's just a small bandaid on his chin and she automatically jumps to the conclusion that he got into a fight. At that age there's plenty of reasons why he might have a bandaid on his face, and with his personality a fight is the least likely.  

She is, right? And the way she took it PERSONALLY! I kinda felt sorry for her. She saw the whole incident as a reflection of her motherhood, of her role as a mother. She thought if SW failed to grow up as an upright citizen, it was her failure, because SW was growing up fatherless. 

Wow! That was way too much of a burden for a single mom, I thought. 

The funny thing, too, was she had been clearly proud of her close relationship with her son. She was almost bragging about him.  

But this small incident [the discovery of the cigarette] exposed her giant insecurity. All along, she'd been worried that she was failing to raise SW properly.  From the discovery of the cigarette, she jumped into conclusion that SW was leading a "gangster life" and that the bandaid was a result of gangster activity. pwahahahaha.  Call it an hyperactive imagination.  

Meanwhile, JH's mom was so cool about the whole situation of her son's missing shoes. She was upset of course, but she stll dealt with it so stoically. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, phikyl said:

See, I couldn't really identify with her at all

It REALLY was spot on. As the middle child you're always lacking attention and you're Always the guilty party when things happen. After a while, you're actually Always the culprit since it's one of the only ways to gain attention. I know the feeling. Both my older brother and younger sister did better at school, mainly because of attention. But before I get into my childhood drama's, let's turn back :P

17 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

She sounded angry

Obviously. She had to shout three times before  reacted. Most likely she's used to him getting home late for dinner, like his dad. She's also frustrated with the relationship she has with her youngest son, her non-sexual relationship with her husband and her lacking-in-every-way oldest son. She's portrayed as the equivalent of '"money doesn't bring happiness" though I do feel they overdid it, Eventually her youngest becomes a pilot which is something to be proud of.

12 minutes ago, phikyl said:

At that age there's plenty of reasons why he might have a bandaid on his face, and with his personality a fight is the least likely.

True, but considering his friends her fear of him going "rogue" is understandable. Besides, he's at an age where boys want to experiment and live a little. She wants to control that though there's no need with Mr. Goody-goody-two-shoes. SW never does anything wrong. Ever. He's the perfect son. Too perfect if you ask me. I can't help but wonder if after 1988 ended, he ends up under a bridge snorting coke for a living...

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy my complete breakdown of your comments :P

Eventhough EP1 is kinda fluff, it does set the standard for the rest of the series. I was moved just by the first episode and that doesn't happen often (well, who am I kidding. I'm a romantic fan....). The most moving part for me was when DS's dad apologised to her. It was heartfelt and Hyeri's reaction was proper. Not an awful lot of crying, but enough to show she was moved by his gesture. She knows now she's still loved and that';s what she needed to hear. Her desperate cry for attention was answered by her dad, who later on turns out to be a complete drunken richard simmons, but that's besides the point. In that moment, I believe DS was happy. Not so much because of the Olympics and her "fame", but because she was recognised by her dad.

• Like 4

@packmule3 I also found it kind of odd how she tried to wheedle the reason for the band-aid out of him. I just kept thinking "he tells you everything else, what's the big deal about one tiny band-aid?!"

@CamelKnight You said you're a middle child and had to deal with some of the same things DS did; did you ever have a meltdown about it all when you were younger like DS did during the birthday celebration?

So, we've established as early as Episode 1 that DS liked ice cream. 

I thought it was funny that the song she sang with DR while doing the study prep and while consoling TK after his baduk loss was called Ice Cream Love. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

She wants to control that though there's no need with Mr. Goody-goody-two-shoes. SW never does anything wrong. Ever.

Take it from a goody-two-shoes, wrong is done. We just don't get caught. :P

Edited to add: SW's father's deathday is the same as Bora's birthday so I now understand why Sun Woo falls for her. Bora didn't just comfort him after his father's death, she gave up her birthday celebration to do it. She really is all bark and no bite. 

Yes, this whole 

48 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

I'm a middle child myself and that birthday scene is so correct. That one really hit the feels. I know what it's like to sacrifice yourself for the good of others and not getting the attention you need. I'm not trying to get some attention here, but this just really felt like something recognisable to me. As has been the case for a great deal of this series. I really could identify myself with DS, temper tantrums and all.

BTW, how can you guys watch and type at the same time? I really need to stop the series before I can type again. Considering this tablet is far from quick, I'm watching on tv and internet on the tablet (and even that is difficult for this little thing). I guess this once again proves men are incapable of doing two things at the same time.

*and breath out*

Yes, her temper tantrum here because of having to share her birthday with her older sister was very understandable. 

I thought the kdrama showed how mature she had become at the end, when in Episode 20, she was willing to postpone her own wedding just so her sister could have her wedding day first. Gone was her resentment.  

When she was young, she thought she was “unloved” and because of that, she was neglected and had the short end of the stick always. But when she grew up, she realized that she was loved after all, so she was willing to sacrifice and delay her gratification for somebody else.  

I like what she said here in monologue -- how those closest to you could be the most oblivious and clueless people ever. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Take it from a goody-two-shoes, wrong is done. We just don't get caught. :P

Edited to add: SW's father's deathday is the same as Bora's birthday so I now understand why Sun Woo falls for her. Bora didn't just comfort him after his father's death, she gave up her birthday celebration to do it. She really is all bark and no bite. 

Except when it came to beating up DS and NE and pulling DS' hair. lol. Did you see those moments? hahaha. I think @Grace1003 complains about the display of sibling violence in the show. 

Yes, SW was such a goody two shoes. So it was funny watching him in Episode 20. Who would have expected him to turn out to be such a nag? Calling up Bora how many times? Five times? He would definitely drive ME insane. 

• Like 2

@packmule3 @phikyl Yeah I noticed the dog too :D I was like "Ah. So there in fact IS a dog!"Curious. Never noticed the animal on my first run lol :)

About the tantrums: yeah, I've been known to throw quite a few tantrums like that. And worse. I wasn't an easy kid, my mom (divorced parents) really had a lot to put up with. Considering the crappy kid I was, it's amazing I even turned out this well. Never went to jail or anything. Considering how I grew up and the kind of kid I was, I guess I'm making up for it now, being all goody-two-shoes :) 

45 minutes ago, packmule3 said:
57 minutes ago, phikyl said:

She really is all bark and no bite. 

Except when it came to beating up DS and NE and pulling DS' hair. lol. Did you see those moments? hahaha. I think @Grace1003 complains about the display of sibling violence in the show. 

But still, those moments made it more real for me. It really took me back. I can't think of a time where I was actually not at war with either my brother or my sister. Pulling hair, biting, scratching, fighting... the works. It happens with all siblings so the fact that they show it only amps up the realness factor for me tbh. SW and his little sister are too cute to be true and only add to the perfect picture they paint of him. Making him less believable in my opinion.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

But still, those moments made it more real for me. It really took me back. I can't think of a time where I was actually not at war with either my brother or my sister. Pulling hair, biting, scratching, fighting... the works. It happens with all siblings so the fact that they show it only amps up the realness factor for me tbh. SW and his little sister are too cute to be true and only add to the perfect picture they paint of him. Making him less believable in my opinion.

Same. My sister and I had some knock-down-drag-out fights! BR and DS remind me a lot of myself and my sister in terms of personality clashes. 

The dog doesn't show up in any of the other episodes that I remember though, just that one! 

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

Who would have expected him to turn out to be such a nag? Calling up Bora how many times? Five times? He would definitely drive ME insane.

It would drive me insane too. That's a personality trait I think he might have picked up from his mother though. If I recall correctly, she does the same type of nagging at him about eating and such. I may be wrong about that though. There's so many parents shown in this installment that it's hard to keep track of all their personality quirks. 

3 minutes ago, phikyl said:

There's so many parents shown in this installment that it's hard to keep track of all their personality quirks. 

Yup, this series sure has a lot of characters who all have deep personalities. It's one of the reasons this show works so well, but it's also difficult to keep tracks of the smaller things.

• Like 4

@phikyl That's true. However, my mind tends to pick up a LOT while watching. My wife is always complaining how I notice small things even when I'm driving through heavy traffic at high speeds. The problem is that the main storylines don't surprise me anymore so I really need to be in a mood to watch something I've watched before. Your invitation came at just the right time :) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

@packmule3 @phikyl Yeah I noticed the dog too :D I was like "Ah. So there in fact IS a dog!"Curious. Never noticed the animal on my first run lol :)

About the tantrums: yeah, I've been known to throw quite a few tantrums like that. And worse. I wasn't an easy kid, my mom (divorced parents) really had a lot to put up with. Considering the crappy kid I was, it's amazing I even turned out this well. Never went to jail or anything. Considering how I grew up and the kind of kid I was, I guess I'm making up for it now, being all goody-two-shoes :) 

You aren't pulling my leg, are you? Pulling hair? Biting?  Are you sure you don't have a juvenile record for assault? lol. 

The worse I suffered from my brothers was a broken nose but that because we were playing baseball and my brother threw a bad pitch and I forgot to duck. lol. I always thought it was a freak accident. But then, for the longest time, I also thought I was a boy.... so who knows the actual truth behind the curveball.  lol.

And the biggest tantrum I could remember involved a horse at some race but I was very young. I wasn't 17/18 years old like Deoksun so her meltdown was a bit unnerving for me to watch.

However, my parents wouldn't tolerate the behavior of Bora. I thought my parents were tougher with the older kids when it comes to good behavior and more lenient with the younger ones. But with Bora, her parents seem to allow her "cruelties" because she was the considered the genius in the family.  

• Like 2

@CamelKnight I've found that the repetetive plotlines are common if you stick to one country too. :P Each country has their own tried and true method of getting the viewers pulled in and they tend to stick to that. That's part of the reason why I choose to pick up dramas from other countries. I can still get my dose of whatever genre I'm in the mood for but I can keep the plotlines from becoming too stagnant just by changing which country produces the show. 

As for re-watching shows I've already seen, it doesn't happen often. There's only a handful of shows that I'm willing to re-watch; the 10's on my MDL. It usually only happens with extremely detailed shows like the Reply series or with certain scriptwriters [The Hong Sisters are good at making multi-layered stories. Makes their shows great for re-watches] Outside of that, I won't touch anything else twice. 

1 minute ago, packmule3 said:

However, my parents wouldn't tolerate the behavior of Bora.

That was annoying for me too. The dramafever subs frequently have her calling DS a female dog, I wonder what the subs on Viki say about that. Whatever it may be, the parents are way too lenient on Bo Ra. Then again, mum is about to be too lenient towards daddy as well, with all his drinking and him buying the most ridiculous items.

3 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

You aren't pulling my leg, are you? Pulling hair? Biting?  Are you sure you don't have a juvenile record for assault? lol. 

I'd be lieing if my mum never threatened to call the cops on us. Not that they would come, but in the Knight residence, there were frequent fights. I could point out a lot of reasons why, but I'm not willing to get into it that deep to be honest. It's, thankfully, the past and I've become a much better person since. Or at least I try to tell myself :P 

And now, off to bed :) Thanks for a wonderful and fun evening @packmule3 and @phikyl :) When's the next session? Tomorrow? Next week?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

That was annoying for me too. The dramafever subs frequently have her calling DS a female dog, I wonder what the subs on Viki say about that. Whatever it may be, the parents are way too lenient on Bo Ra. Then again, mum is about to be too lenient towards daddy as well, with all his drinking and him buying the most ridiculous items.

I'd be lieing if my mum never threatened to call the cops on us. Not that they would come, but in the Knight residence, there were frequent fights. I could point out a lot of reasons why, but I'm not willing to get into it that deep to be honest. It's, thankfully, the past and I've become a much better person since. Or at least I try to tell myself :P 

And now, off to bed :) Thanks for a wonderful and fun evening @packmule3 and @phikyl :) When's the next session? Tomorrow? Next week?

Did you think so, too? The binge-drinking, I totally don't get that.  For me, that's unacceptable behavior. But I also understand that that sort of drinking is accepted, or regarded as "culturally" acceptable because that's a convenient way for the repressed emotions [like resentment towards the unfair practices of your boss] to be expressed out in the open without suffering major consequences for harboring ill-feelings.  :)  Which makes odd business practice for me too. I prefer the direct approach instead of this avoidance/circumvention. 

I think it was mentioned here before that the mother tolerated his drinking as a way for him to blow off steam after a hard day's work. 

As for his spendthrift ways, yes, that would bug me if I were his wife. How could he be conned by the sob stories of those petty swindlers when he worked for the FRAUD department of the bank?!!  But did you notice? Deoksun had the same problem with Taec Choi? hahaha. How could he be conned by his sunbaes into lending them millions when he was supposedly a genius at strategies?!!  As for Taec Choi's smoking? I can see the mother's tolerance in DeokSun all over again. DS would allow him that one vice as a stress-reliever. 

I guess in DS' case, it's like mother, like daughter in some ways. 

I don't know when the next rewatch will be. I'll let @phikyl and @cooleet decide that.  But it is addictive, right? I can tell you we were upset when the threads shut down and we couldn't find a place for our rewatches. There were so many of us behind the scenes who wanted to discuss it back then.

Oh well.... :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, phikyl said:

I have to ask something because I know zilch about makeup trends in the late 80's early 90's. Is the blue eyeshadow the trend for that time? I know bold colors are sometimes used to stand out but I couldn't understand why she would pick that shade of blue when one of the other eye shadow colors would have brought out her eyes more. 

kekeke. I'm not going to talk much about make-up because I'll be revealing my age. But yes, blue eye shadow was a trend here in the US. kekeke. If you have blue eyes, the blue eye shadow will highlight it. Also, girls back in the 80s weren't into the "natural" look that's fashionable right now. ;) Remember Cyndi Lauper? And Madonna?  

(But if I were a believer of the Egyptian form of reincarnation, I would request the mortician for a gazillion tubes of mascara to be buried with me for my use in the afterworld)

I wasn't aware that blue eye shadow was also a trend in Asia.  

• Like 2