[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

YH in the bath scene of Ep. 19 preview gives me the impression that she just did something bad and needed to be cleansed, just like the earlier Queen who took a similar bath. Or she could be preparing to be bedded, after getting rid of HS. This is what I think happens ...

After receiving word from HS, Jung comes with the decree previously written by Yo who had asked Jung what he wanted as a reward for his war efforts. The decree states that HS will be bethrothed to Jung. Jung presents that to So, who of course immediately casts it aside, declaring it null and void as So had already said that he would never let HS leave him. Now, YH, who had thought this would have been a marvellous way to get rid of HS from So's side, gets angry. She tells So that HS is a loose woman, previously in a relationship with her Brother Wook, even when Wook's Wife was alive. So confirms this with Wook, and then HS, flies into a rage and says he never wants to see her again. HS leaves with Jung, marries him and stays with him in exile. 

Which brings us back to the scene with YH in the bath, gloating over her success in getting rid of HS and preparing to seduce So, so that she can give birth to the next King.

In her quest to be the Mother of the next King, YH is also sacrificing her Brother, Wook. So gets so jealous of Wook's past relationship with HS, coupled with the fact that he had killed Mu (according to Won's testimony), So framed Wook in the dead eagle incident, so that he can have the excuse to sentence him to death for treason. 

• Like 22

With all this talk about a possible sad endings, has there ever been a K-drama with a sad, bleak, everyone dies, no one gets what they want, nothing gets resolved, ending? Do Korean audiences generally prefer happy, everything is wrapped in a bow, endings?

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, omiki said:

YH in the bath scene of Ep. 19 preview gives me the impression that she just did something bad and needed to be cleansed, just like the earlier Queen who took a similar bath. Or she could be preparing to be bedded, after getting rid of HS. This is what I think happens ...

After receiving word from HS, Jung comes with the decree previously written by Yo who had asked Jung what he wanted as a reward for his war efforts. The decree states that HS will be bethrothed to Jung. Jung presents that to So, who of course immediately casts it aside, declaring it null and void as So had already said that he would never let HS leave him. Now, YH, who had thought this would have been a marvellous way to get rid of HS from So's side, gets angry. She tells So that HS is a loose woman, previously in a relationship with her Brother Wook, even when Wook's Wife was alive. So confirms this with Wook, and then HS, flies into a rage and says he never wants to see her again. HS leaves with Jung, marries him and stays with him in exile. 

Which brings us back to the scene with YH in the bath, gloating over her success in getting rid of HS and preparing to seduce So, so that she can give birth to the next King.

In her quest to be the Mother of the next King, YH is also sacrificing her Brother, Wook. So gets so jealous of Wook's past relationship with HS, coupled with the fact that he had killed Mu (according to Won's testimony), So framed Wook in the dead eagle incident, so that he can have the excuse to sentence him to death for treason. 

The snake is preparing to seduce Wang So... Lol she must been so happy... 

• Like 12

@junejungki, @antiherofans and @runitaaa.. dear chingus! We really aren't human anymore! We're just zombies! Reading all of your posts here just making me knew that I WAS  WASN'T ALL ALONE AND TERRIBLY DEVASTATED. While I thot that I am the only one (who's crazy), finding this thread and armed forces letting our disappointment and anger here really ease my heart a bit. I feel 0.01% sane. Keke~ 

• Like 20

34 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

To those who have watched Cversion, I remember many commented that they cried buckets for the last 3 episodes. At what point of event was the last 3 episodes? Are we there yet in this Kversion?

This is what I have in mind also. Can someone feed me on this? Especially on the last ending, where I heard that Ruoxi dies and come back at present time..then what happen to her?

I don't want to watch the c-version myself in order for not spoiling my mood to continue watching Moon Lovers. And, maybe with just by reading it from you guys can make me feel less painful compared to just directly watching the source of this drama. I want to know the ending of c-version (spoiler), but I want to know it in a less painful way.

Hmm..pathetic me.   

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, whyo said:

Same here... I watch SHR with both of my parents (my dad always stanby to S-One channel when airing time near). My mom can't accept last episode. She said "How can all of them become miserable? Wook is not happy, Jung is not happy, now even Soo and So also not happy" and her eyes teary.

I feel so sorry for her, she didn't know that this is melodrama. I comfort her and said "Actually mom, this is the genre of the drama, the sad one. So there is possibility that this will end with sad ending."

And today.. out of the blue she said  "Pyeha is too pitiful" and her eyes teary again 

Ugh.... I'm so sorry mom :( 

What have we done to our family :sweatingbullets: ????

• Like 13

3 hours ago, bitofmadness said:

Saw this on Youtube. Omg I bet they're going to play this song next week. I can't. I can't. I can't. :bawling:

My eyes automatically starts filling up with tears every single time I hear this song.  

• Like 15

21 hours ago, hrkharis said:

Thank you for the explanation. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong because I'm not in detail to read what people say about the story of chinese version.  I'm sure that WS will feel sorry to hear she died. Because as we all know that WS is deeply in love with her.
I'm just curious, how does this story end?

Spoiler

I will try not to give details because I am 99% sure that the ending of the novel will still be seen in this version. :)  

In the novel:

Sad ending. She died. After her death, 4th prince (king) gave her the last farewell. 

In the C-drama:

Ending of the novel + They add that Ruoxi woke up in the future and met the incarnation of 4th prince in a museum. He had no memories. That was an open ending that led to a sequel of them together (Scarlet Heart 2). 

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, siobhanne said:

Some thoughts. I even made an account for this.

Why WS wants to be king: as he himself said it's not just to protect his bothers and HS or just a mistaken belief that then he will be the one with the freedom of choice. It's because he wants to change Goryeo, that's why his first act was about righting the wrongs created during the building of the new palace. It's actually a bit comforting that that's the case, because he fails in the protecting objective, but is a good ruler.

Why HS doesn't marry WS: if he can't consolidate his power as king and keep the throne he is dead. He doesn't have enough financial and military power by himself. Even if he abdicates and somehow survives that, the position of ex-king is the most dangerous one. They both understand this. I thought the scene where he proposes despite knowing all of this was very beautiful; and also how he tries to shield HS from this information, because just by telling her about it he would be cornering her into giving up marriage, but instead she is allowed to decide without his pressuring.

Why HS decides to leave the palace: I think it's not that she doesn't understand the reasons for CR's punishment or that she doesn't forgive WS. She had two reasons to stay in the palace: to guide WS to be a gentler king and because she hoped for her own happy ending with WS. During the events of episode 18 she realizes that both of these are hopeless causes. I think she sees a parallel between CR and herself and is afraid that instead of influencing WS to be gentler (she seems to have no influence in that regard) she would instead be forced to share in some of the bloodshed. So she doesn't have enough reasons to stay after episode 18. Moreover their relationship is not that of equals any longer, she calls him his majesty also in private. And I think another issue with their relationship is that WS hasn't had unconditional love from his parents (the mother's love is what he himself seems to most miss), and he wants that from HS, which is why he can't accept that HS will criticize his treatment of Jung. Because it's something that a parent will accept, but it's not something a lover should accept. I think him rejecting HS's touch on the cheek might be also because his mother's touch was there and he didn't want to write it over with HS's touch. He wants the love of a mother, the love of a woman is not enough.

CR messed up their relationship by poisoning Mu, not by the spying allegations later. If Mu could've been a strong king, HS and WS could've been together, all the other king candidates don't leave space for their relationship. Also it was correct in him to not tell HS about it, because if it couldn't be avoided that she needed to be publicly punished, then it's cruel to put HS in a spot where she would either go along with it or try to fruitlessly keep it from happening. 

I think WW and WS are quite similar in their interactions with HS. Initially WS didn't have anyone else to protect, so he could afford to risk himself for HS. But as soon as he has stuff he needs to protect, HS will need to sacrifice, starting with his first marriage. I really liked that both of the relationships failed in a similar way. With just one you can say it's WW, he's not good enough. But with both of them the message is more that it's the circumstances, not the person, why she can't have love.

I would be surprised to if WS doesn't already know that YH was complicit in the poisoning incident. He knows that YH stepped forward to drink the poison and that made the incident public and he knows that WW was protecting someone.

I think the reason why the queen mother hated WS was because she cut him and would've killed him. So it's a defense mechanism, she can either hate him or despise herself. So she needs to hate him and convince herself that he is an unnatural, monstrous, incapable man. I think this feeling intensifies when she sees him and his scar. And the better he does, the more she hates him, because it's proof that he's not incapable. So really, he exacted the perfect revenge. Even though it was a case of cut off your nose to spite the face.

The scenes how WS became king were really cool. WY told HS to choose the king. And then he prepares a blank decree and tries to press it and a brush into HS's hands. I don't think she understand's his intent, but she nonetheless chooses WS as the king, so in the end WS got the throne rightfully. It's a nice play on fate and predeterminism.

Anyway. I really like the series and all the characters except for perhaps the 9th prince, since we haven't been told about his story. The cinematography is gorgeous, I like the modern soundtrack. The combination of political intrigue, philosophy and romance is to my tastes. It's not cheesy, and really sticks in my brain. And Lee Joon-Gi's portrayal makes me understand and cherish his complex character. And yet I hope there will be some form of happy ending, I don't want to cry.

welcome @siobhanne! First post and still so many insight..I love your post..thanks for making an account for MLSHR and sharing your tot with us!:blush:

• Like 14

I'll try to answer but put in spoiler tag incase too spoilery @ktcjdrama @imaginary24

Spoiler

The last 3 ep was when YuTan (Chae Ryung in k-ver) died, Ruoxi (Hae Soo) found out and super shock by this fact. 8th prince wife came to the palace and threatened her by saying everything that happen is because of her early warning to 8th prince (Wook) to be very careful with 4th prince (So). Now she fully understand the extent of her intervention in history which give her even more shock and lost the baby. She didn't take it anymore and want to leave the palace but the king didn't let her. She ask 13 prince (Baek Ah) to rely her message to 14th prince (Jung) that 'she is willing'. 14th prince come with previous king decree to marry her which makes the king furious. To help Ruoxi get out from the palace, 8th prince spill everything about their past romance, the king gets even more furious and let her leave the palace to marry 14th prince. Long story short, ruoxi is sick and near her time, she sent a letter to the king ask her to meet her. But since her writing is so similar to the king, 14th prince thought it will cause problems (we might get this in k-ver also) and put her letter inside another envelope with his writing in it. The king receive the letter but since the writing is 14th princess's he didn't want to read it. Ruoxi finally died a few days later in 14th prince arm while waiting for her 4th prince. The king just found out about her death a week later!!

And we got final scene where she come back to 21 century, she google (use weibo) her name and didn't find any record. She went to a Qing dynasty exhibition and saw one painting with her in it (indicating everything is not just a dream). And then she saw modern time 4th prince, she become all teary but he didn't recognise her at all.

End.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, whyo said:
2 hours ago, iloveknovela said:

We share the same thought @whyo

The reason why open communication is vital in every relationship?   BECAUSE WE CAN'T READ MINDS.  Unrealistic expectation is very frustrating actually.  

We must also consider that Man and Woman are created differently and their way of thinking is different too.  Just imagine what two unique individual joined together.... it's the miracle called LOVE.  If that's gone, saving any relationship would be very difficult.  Misunderstanding each other is very common to couples no matter how much they love each other.   If they don't learn how to communicate their thoughts and feelings well, this is most likely to happen.  I used to say that when couples refuse to listen & understand each other, their love will fly out of the windows.  I just hope that our OTP, though they fight, disagree and get angry, their love for each other remains because that will serve as cord to connect/tie them once again.

This is what I regret about their relationship. From the start... they like to keep something that might hurt their spouse. When his/her secret revealed..... the aftermath will only turn into excuse. They love each other but they fight for their love by himself/ herself:tears:

They not share their pain... They just face it by himself/ herself. 

#Amenforhighlightpart

Exactly!!! 

They could have used their LOVE to their advantage but unfortunately they are good at tearing each other apart.  Although, I am frustrated with their roller coaster relationship, I am still giving them time to grow.  It really takes time to build a solid foundation within a relationship that could withstand every storm that comes their way.  Sometimes they need to discover their strengths/limitations for the sake of the ones they love.  How far they could go before it became too much for them to handle.  They need to realize that they are stronger together than they are apart.  Strengthening one another is what they need the most.

Let me add also:

When relationships break down, the tendency is to walk away and find someone new rather than work at reconciliation.  This is what HS will possibly try to do.  Should I be in her shoes, I will redeem the time and spend it with him knowing that I am living in a borrowed time.  I'd rather endure the heartache close to him than apart from him.  This way, their parting later on (when she dies or back to the future) will leave no regrets because they've done everything they could for each other.  At least the person who be left behind will have good memories to live on and endure the loneliness of her absence also.  I speak by experience here because I've been there done it with my late hubby.  This is why I can't help but be concerned with our OTP.  I desperately want them to work with each other and not against each other.

There are some things in our lives that need to be broken: pride, self-will, stubbornness, and unhealthy habits, etc. that prevents growth.  They should learn to say SORRY and avoid pointing fingers on who is right or wrong.  Because in a relationship, there is no you and me but US.  It takes two to tango, we used to say.  But I just couldn't figure out how this OTP will resolve their issues.  Gives me headache. :D  I just hope writer-nim has something in store to make us a little bit happy.  Sort of a parting gift, since we will surely miss them once this drama ends. *** praying ****

BTW, I can't help but smile reading wives here who watch with their husbands and tolerate them for their addiction to this drama.    I've done it myself too, maybe worst. :D  I remember, I would tell him this and that (like a typical fangirl) and how I like this actor and everything about him and he would say:  Are you sure you're not in love with that guy?  Being a typical playful, I would teasingly say:  Don't worry hon, I love him but you're the one that I'm in love with!  He can't win over you!  And we just laughs!  Oh my, I suddenly missed my very best friend!  He would certainly love watching this drama with lots of opinion.  I have no one to share my craziness anymore.  Sorry, out of topic...  

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, imaginary24 said:

This is what I have in mind also. Can someone feed me on this? Especially on the last ending, where I heard that Ruoxi dies and come back at present time..then what happen to her?

Spoiler

She woke up in hospital. Wondered if it was just a dream. Later on went to museum/exhibiton to check for traces of her in history. Saw a painting of her among many people but her name never recorded in history. Then a man looking exactly like 4th came, she stared at him. He walked over to her and asked "do we know each other?" She just kept quiet, loss of words? So he just walked away. The end. (I cheated, only watched that last bit)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, imaginary24 said:

There was so much crying, as you can expect ...

Spoiler

RX's health deteriorated and when she knew she was about to die soon, she wrote a letter to 4th to come see her. 4th received the letter, but as the envelope was written by 14th, thought that it was another of 14th's nonsense complaints, cast it aside. RX waited in vain, and passed away in 14th's arms. When 4th finally heard of her passing, he was of course devastated, then he recalled that letter and found it and read it. Of course, it was too late. 4th and 13th retrieved RX's ashes and scattered it in the mountains. The last part showed RX waking up from her coma, then one day, when she visited an exhibition in a museum, she came across a man who looked like 4th. He saw her crying and looked puzzled but didn't seem to recognise her. It was an open ending.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Siracusa said:

With all this talk about a possible sad endings, has there ever been a K-drama with a sad, bleak, everyone dies, no one gets what they want, nothing gets resolved, ending? Do Korean audiences generally prefer happy, everything is wrapped in a bow, endings?

I could be wrong but I think Moon Lovers is the only dark kdrama, yes there is Kdrama with sad ending were the lead dies but I don't think it was as dark & tragic as this 1, everyone prefers a light happy drama I think but Moon Lovers is dark so having a sad ending is not shocking to the audience it's actually expected I think 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, riuenu said:

correct me if I am wrong, 4th know initially that Rouxi is sick...as the doctor told them that, she only got 10 years to live...and 4th trying to prolong her life...

And he know her knee is weak, that why he use the royal order on her to ask her stop kneeling in front of the temple as she is pleading for 8th that is kneeling in front of the palace in the rain.

But at the later part...when she is leaving the palace, 4th doesnt know her life is shorten till left 1 or 2 years to live...

yes.. in BBJX 4th know about RX sickness and he did know about the 10 years lifespan.. 

the royal decree is one part that i hate too cause RX did said finally 4th using his power to order her around.. its kinda slap on 4th face tbh...

i don't think that So know about her sickness yet... cause if he do know about this no matter what happen he will not letting Su go even its mean they have to separate because of WW.. pretty sure he does't know and if i'm not mistaken Su did said that she will personally told the king about her sickness so the doctor must assume So know about it..

Su is the type that endures on her own.. telling So about her sickness just going to make him more worried about her and he already have enough on his plate.. so she will not tell him that and now when she ready to leave its the last thing that she will tell him...

and this will eat him alive when he know about Su hiding her sickness for his sake and what he will do is putting her into her death sentence when he said that he will never meet her again because of her promise marrying WW 10 FREAKIN YEARS AGO!!!!!! its because of him that Su life ended and i don't think he can handle it later on knowing this fact..

• Like 10