[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

15 minutes ago, SizzlerZ said:

That's right, we don't. I doubt they would introduce a new character with 3 episodes to go and the drama hitting its climax so I wonder who of those if would be. I don't think it's HS, QY or WH. CR? - Maybe not. I remember people speculating that SD didn't die because of a photo on IG of YH and SD in an outfit that hadn't been seen but I don't think SD is still alive. WHO IS SHE?

We still have WS second mother we did not see her but she out there .....she is woman with power too maybe she will be the new characters if we have one 

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Rose34 said:

Now that I have start with the happy, simple post. I am going into deep stuff. My thoughts after episode 16.

I took some time to write this post because I am seriously contemplating the writer and the director motivations’. This story/drama is so deep at many levels. If I know before things are going to be tragic in this drama, I would have prepared myself. For the first time, among the K-dramas I have watched, the main character - Wang So/Gwanjong is an anti-hero. This drama has many firsts lol. Anti hero, falling in love with the 2nd person, realistic romance relationship among many. Episode 16 is very, very interesting. So many key developments happen in one episode. It further shows the nuances, deepness and complexness of this story and the main characters. Human emotions is so complex, its never logical. 

I think it is starting a new arc, albeit the final one as it is entering the phase of Wang So’s character development into King Gwangjong. It is also showcasing the further unfolding and turning of Wang So and Hae Soo relationship. They are intertwined. The journey is going to be tragic though the ending is still up to open air. If it is not a satisfying ending, lol i think many are going to rain arrow on SBS or the PD. Haha! Hey, we have just seen the outcome of the baseball game lol. There is so many things I want to say though I don’t know where to start. 

1. Goryeo - “ It is a place where one dies when trusting others and live when doubting close to you” . This drama is tragic on so many levels.  And “How wonderful it would have been if we met in a different world, different period” 

The dialogue between Yo and his mom makes me really look back at the story and the life of the characters. It is truly a sad and terrible place to live in. Each characters reflects on the true meaning of their lifes or reminiscing their life nearing their death. Each death in this drama tells a tragic story. If I say one of the lesson from this story/drama, it is whats so good about getting to what you want/ambition/goals if in the process you truly lost who you hold dear, what is most important to you. With much money and power, yet it feels empty and not fulfil on the inside.  People think that only when they have the things they want, they will be truly happy yet they still may not be happy when they have it, then they will go for desires after desires to be truly "happy" but their efforts will be in vain. It is like a vicious cycle. 

Let’s take the case of Yo (Jeonjong) with the conversation with his mom. Before that let me say I am impressed by Hong Jong Hyun acting in this episode. He improves tremendously given his recent model-turn-actor background. I am looking forward to his development as an actor in his future projects. I think if he improves more and more, he can be a rising star, because he has the visual and likeable personality. South Korea is heavy on the visual and image. 

The dialogue with his mom is very interesting. Only when Yo is going crazy and paranoid filled by the guilty conscience on Eun's death and his dialogue with his mom, that he realizes all his mom care about is the throne never about his well-being. This makes me look back at Yo’s life. A child can be mould to how they become by how their social circle (in this case, parents) mould them. Yo becomes this way due to his mother’s ambition for the throne. He is mould for the throne and he receives love in doing so. Somehow, the beliefs people put on you is the belief you think is yours, that its you who want it (in this case the throne). You got to question on a lot of things, can’t take matter by default.  All of his life and character is make-up for the throne yet what a sad life it is to live only for that and later realizing that maybe it is not what you truly want, someone else want it of you and then realizing all that it is, it is empty and meaningless.

When he said “Am I a person or a pig?" This sentence is truly startling, it speaks volume. I really have respect for the writer. When we are too driven by our goal and ambition, sometimes we lost ourselves in the process, we may become inhumane. And is that what he actually wants when he is young? Now he realises it and also about his mother. Young Yo do loves his brothers and he still does, though his ambition get the best of him. He can kill Wang So straight if he wants to like how he killed Eun but he didn’t, doesn’t he? After all, they have blood ties.

Yet, at the same time Queen Yo too have a story to tell, her craze for the throne is driven by her wanting to have the only love she never received, Taejo's love. Taejo then marries only because he is thinking about the country yet he can't have Court Lady Oh...same goes for all the characters here...it is one big snowball effect. Somehow, if they tell Yo’s and Queen Yo’s story reminiscing their life nearing their death or flashback to their past, I will salute the writer and director.  I cant help feel pity with all of them yet i can say that you indeed have a faculty of choice, your circumstances may affect you, yet at one point you have to choose whether would you go the right or the wrong path. And each choice and decision you made always has a repercussion. The most tortured, lack of love and abandoned soul is Wang So. Yet, he still learns to love and with Hae Soo's presence he becomes a better person.

If you notice too, young So he is nice...it reminds me of this quote..."Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place" -source unknown. Sometimes the journey in life is not so much of becoming but unbecoming to the true self, who before had not been impacted and affected by life circumstances, incidents and peoples. And nearing to the end of their life is when they really realizes what truly matters. Love triumphs power. Power without love is destruction. Power with love is eternal. Love is about selflessness, sacrifice and love is in action. 

2. Hae Soo -" I am not going to cast a blind eye, i’m not going to let anyone become unfortunate”

Hae Soo's presence in Goryeo really changes things, her presence affects them. Due to lack of her trust with Wang So, they separated, though Wang So leaves her for two years not just because of that. If she trust Wang So, they won’t be separated, and Wang So probably won’t come to build the castle and help the slaves. From that incident when he is away from Hae Soo, he comes to know his people more. That experience affects him and catalyses him to go for the throne. Her presence and actions lead him to be the King. In one way or another, Hae Soo affects things. 

Hae Soo teaches him to learn to love and the love he receives change him to be a great King. The horse scene where Wang So saves Hae Soo, that is love at the first sight. From this scene, you actually know Wang So still has a heart in him despite being a "wolf dog". Next was the scar incident at the bath, he starts to open-up. When Hae Soo approached him where he banished all the stones right after the confrontation with his mother for him killing the monks, it is the turning point for him. Next, was the opening of his mask and concealing the scar, he starts to learn to accepts himself and his scar because Hae Soo didn't say anything about his scar or shows disgust. He learns to love because of the love, care, attention that Hae Soo gives to him. For once, someone approaches him without thinking of his "wolf dog" image. For once, someone understands him and understands his true self was he was young. If Hae Soo hasn't approach him, he would not open up himself and still in his tortured, abandoned, lack of loved thus aggressive soul mode. If before, he is lacking in becoming a great King. In order to build the nation and reign for 26 years (longer than Taejo by 2 years) you need to love your people. In one way or another, without the story being direct, it shows that Hae Soo's presence in Goryeo dynasty changes Wang So and helps him to be a great King. Her character is paradoxical, it does both good and harm. Yet her love, selflessness is what changes things. 

Their stone scene on episode 4 is one of the best, this is their dialogue: 

Wang So pushing all the stones mother build for her child with so much angst and Haesoo trying to stop him.

W: Do you want to die too? Let me go. H: You are injured!

H: Do you have any other injuries? W: I told you i killed people.

H: Then, tell me why you killed them? Did you do it for fun? W: Go. Go! 

H: This is the kind of place, doesn't it? You have to wield a sword since at very young age. You have to kill others if you want to live. What can you do? It's not a crime to want to live. You probably won't be forgiven. Still, I understand you. How you're feeling right now, it must be so miserable. I think I can relate. 

Speaks volume of the kind of place and life there, Wang So's true self and intention, the kind of effect Hae Soo has on Wang So. 

I am quite sad writing these. On a happier note, tomorrow I am going to write another post!

Very well said @Rose34!!!   We share the same thought and feelings about this drama as a whole.

This thread were blessed with gifted writers ... which is unfortunately not my cup of tea.      GUYS, you're all awesome .... keep doing so and make us happy with your analysis.

Watching this drama reminds of what someone said:  Life is not a destination but a journey.  We may come up with some unexpected curves, mountain tops or valleys, but it will bring out the best within ourselves.  Nothing happened by accident  .... everything (bad/good, happiness/pain, being loved / being abandoned), each of these will shape who we are becoming.  The reason why I love WS character???  His motivation to act on something is very impressive knowing his difficult beginnings.  His life is like a pupa in a cocoon that turns into a beautiful Butterfly.  His character is well written that we can't help but love him .... I salute writer-nim. :D   He is what he is because of his good heart. The book of proverbs 23:7 says: AS A MAN THINKS IN HIS HEART, SO IS HE!  and also in Prov 4:23 says ABOVE ALL ELSE GUARD YOUR HEART, FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO FLOWS FROM IT.   This is probably why those few character ends us who they are because they let their hearts clouded by wrong things.  

And to those who took the wrong path I am reminded of this bible passage: What good is it for someone to gain the whole world but lose his own soul.  (referring to Wang Yo, QY and WW)  IT'S ALL MEANINGLESS!

Just sharing my thoughts without getting too detailed (I'm not good at it though) :D

Speaking of motivation, LJK is my sole motivation for watching this drama at first.  He never disappoints when it comes to acting and he proves me right once again.  I will certainly keep supporting and watching whatever new projects he will have.

As to the rating, I am not overly concerned about it coz it all depends on the viewer's taste.  We, international viewer loved and got crazy with this drama ... perhaps we have better taste than K viewer .. LOLOLOL.  I also don't think LJK will be seriously affected by this.  Yes he felt responsible being the lead actor, but he is not alone.  Some other veteran actors went through similar experience as well.  Besides this is not the first time that he had projects with low rating ... so what's new?  This won't break him nor his confidence being a good actor but certainly he will learn something from it.

• Like 24

15 hours ago, ruizaio said:

DC Galler/Youtuber Usui made a 50 shades of Wang So trailer!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this trailer is great! The edits made the kiss scene more intense. You can actually feel their desire n hunger for each other so much more. LOVE IT!

• Like 17

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ruizaio said:

cc9LlMu.jpg

The team is growing, and we're getting close to the target number of responses to be able to contact the production companies of Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo to request for a Blu-ray/DVD set. Please help spread the word and take the survey if you haven't done so already! You can find more information about this project here and read the FAQ here.

Take the survey please!

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, oyashirazu said:

Does anyone have a clue whether we've ever seen this particular costume on Wang So?

Hide contents

It must be from when he still wears his mask. Maybe it's just the inner layer of another outfit but I've never seen this kind of white "collar" part with flower pattern beneath one of his robes. I've seen him wear white beneath his robes but never with a pattern like this. 

Just wishful thinking but I wondered if maybe there was another scene supposed to happen after the poison scene of Wang So recovering. He wouldn't bother to apply make-up when sick, right? Also, there's either Jung or Eun in the background of the first picture - if it's Jung the scene might indeed happen after the poison scene since everyone wore there festive robes on that day but if it's Eun it must be before the poison scene because his hair is in a ponytail (= unmarried). Can anyone make out whether it's Jung or Eun? Both have the same hairstyle at some point in the story with that golden hair ornament.

So, does this suggest another deleted scene or is it just LJG in the middle of trying on some possible future costumes? Maybe they decided to not let him wear this outfit because it's "too white" for him :P But would have loved to see him in this :wub:

It's from this namooactors article:

http://post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=5099393&memberNo=1609562&vType=VERTICAL

I noticed pictures and BTS videos from LJG's agency namooactors tend to show us spoilers of scenes happening in later episodes or scenes which never make it into the end product at all (which I'm grateful for) :D

I think this might have been from the very beginning, during the ritual? I remember seeing him wearing the dark red skirt-like thing when he was chasing after the assassin! 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, glacial said:

LJG's acting is extremely good, if you guys notice in the scene after he kills eun, when he's about to cry he makes kind of like a gagging reflex like he's gonna puke and that actually really happens to people who feel so so so much pain they can't control how they feel and crying isn't enough. I noticed such a detail because In the few times I've really really been hurt or cried due to something so major I've felt that reflex too, sooo detailed and good! GO LJG! i hope he gets a new drama soon ^___^ 

OMG!!

I notice that too...i thought he really gonna puke from the extreme disgust of what he had just done. No word to describe his potrayal there..simply daebakk!

• Like 20

4 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

Checking the broadcast rights of SHR to date:

Simulcast

China

Hongkong

Taiwan

Singapore

Malaysia

Indonesia

North America (Dramafever)

Later Date

Japan ( Currently airing International version, Korea version to follow in December )

Thailand

Philippines

Are there other countries aside from the stated above? :)

It's actually also airing in Los Angeles, CA through LA18 channel as well in North America. It's not a simulcast because it only started airing late September but episode 9 will air this Monday. They're airing the SBS version w/ english subtitles but I noticed they also cut some of the scenes to get it to fit in the hour-long timeslot.

• Like 23