[Drama 2016] Local Hero 동네의 영웅

Seiran029

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am disappointed with the evolution of this drama... not enough action and the bar as meeting place for ex-spies is a little hard to digest. The pace of the story isn't moving fast enough. CG's character seems to be weak, it took him too much time to make up his mind to stay by YS' side... each time he got an offer, he accepted. I thought after helping YS out, this was finished but it started again with the father and brother.

I'll watch till the end, but that's it. The actors are doing a good job, the problem lies more in the writing and ideas. The start was good but I had something else in mind with this title.

I've pretty much given up on this drama. Agree that the actors are doing a good job, it's just the story line itself. I'm probably just keep up with snippets of it til the end. 

Wow... I guess everyone really did give up on this drama. No comments on the final episode? Then, if you guys don't mind, I'll go ahead and write my second ever post on this site :P

I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you. It took waaaaay too long for Shi Yoon's little team to come together and for Shi Yoon to come up with an actual plan to identify and catch the bad guys. (He really isn't good at the whole revenge thing. Did he spend those 3 years in prison just working on his abs?)

In the end, all it really took was for Yoon Sang-Min to switch sides and the good guys win. Easy much? The memoirs that they went on and on about didn't really matter that much. Shi Yoon didn't even get to personally take down the guy who killed his bestest friend. Still-- the last minute bomb switch Shi Yoon pulled on his former team leader was pretty slick. I wish he had more of those moments.

Chan Gyu was the best playing the goofy Shadow/spy wannabe-- it's too bad they couldn't even throw him a bone with the Writer Bae romance angle. I found Detective Im the most annoying and everything that involved his family boring. And it sucks that at the very end, the two other ex-spy members of Team Shi Yoon aren't shown. Plus, after everything Shi Yoon goes through, we're supposed to believe that he just hangs around bars waiting for the chance to be the Shadow? Doesn't re-opening the Neighborhood Bar and keeping President Hwang's dream alive make more sense? It seems like the writer just didn't know what direction to go with the story and didn't know how to balance out the way-too-complicated spy conspiracy with the local neighborhood versus big corporation drama. Or maybe, this whole drama is really Writer Bae's screenplay and she's too busy hanging out with a certain cute rookie policeman and meddling in her ex-spy boss's affairs to write a good story...  It's too bad because the drama seemed to have a lot of potential in the early episodes and the actors were great. They just needed better material.

agree with everyone ...I was so excited at the begining of the drama and can't wait for the eng sub but now I'm still  in eps 14 and I 'm not that interested in whats gonna happen :confused:

anyway the good thing about that drama is that I've had the chance to know the actor  Yoon tae young "YOON SANG MIN"and watched another good yet also end disapointing drama of his "Strike love " he looks so different in there ,so romantic and charming hehehe :wub:

to be honest I 'm watching the rest of the drama just in the name of loyalty :sweatingbullets: and for supporting park shi hoo oppa ...I really did want to see him in a crime ,action,mystery kind of a drama like gap-dong ...but I think I 'll wait for a better one in  the future 

I've read a comment in one of the sites says  that the last two eps are better than the whole drama ...well I hope so and I 'm looking for it ..still have 3 eps to tell ....

fighting everyone :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been meaning to watch this once I had a bit of time but after 5 episodes wading through filler and unnecessary repetition of flashbacks, I'm not sure if it's worth my while continuing.

The premise was a great one but the execution leaves much to be desired. OCN is usually known for it's tight storytelling but this one was all over the place. The protagonist didn't seem to behave like an experienced field operative, blundering around making himself obvious. The idea of a bar in which ex-members of the intelligence community frequent is an interesting one and so is our recovering ex-operative turning into a neighbourhood vigilante. Even the big conspiracy between big business and big government has potential but the way all the different threads are played out feels uneven...

And the dialogue reverts to a kind of hokey cheesiness that seems to suggest that this is some kind of parody of spycraft that we're watching which then clashes with the more serious undertones.

I don't think the writer really knew what s/he wanted this to be or at least s/he seemed incapable of keeping all the balls in the air with finesse.

17 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'd been meaning to watch this once I had a bit of time but after 5 episodes wading through filler and unnecessary repetition of flashbacks, I'm not sure if it's worth my while continuing.

The premise was a great one but the execution leaves much to be desired. OCN is usually known for it's tight storytelling but this one was all over the place. The protagonist didn't seem to behave like an experienced field operative, blundering around making himself obvious. The idea of a bar in which ex-members of the intelligence community frequent is an interesting one and so is our recovering ex-operative turning into a neighbourhood vigilante. Even the big conspiracy between big business and big government has potential but the way all the different threads are played out feels uneven...

And the dialogue reverts to a kind of hokey cheesiness that seems to suggest that this is some kind of parody of spycraft that we're watching which then clashes with the more serious undertones.

I don't think the writer really knew what s/he wanted this to be or at least s/he seemed incapable of keeping all the balls in the air with finesse.

Sorry to say that but you can stop watching it;) I finished it but honestly it was more a waste of time! The detective was so stupid, just like his wife, especially when she started blaming SY for the kidnapping aso. the pace was too slow, the characters not well written and developped. I didn't like the ending too. SY is supposed to be about to die and then you discover, he survived?!!

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Sorry to say that but you can stop watching it;) I finished it but honestly it was more a waste of time! The detective was so stupid, just like his wife, especially when she started blaming SY for the kidnapping aso. the pace was too slow, the characters not well written and developped. I didn't like the ending too. SY is supposed to be about to die and then you discover, he survived?!!

A pity really because the big story had me intrigued. A shame that the writer couldn't take care of the details.

I agree with there being too much of the cop and his wife. It was draggy, unnecessary and not very well done. After a while I started to fast forward through those bits. When a drama starts being too much hard work to watch, you know it's time to give up. :D

• 3 months later...

I realize most members have moved on, but I just started watching this drama and I'm about halfway through. I like the story well enough and I can be patient with the flaws. But (and this often happens to me) I really like some of the background music. Does anyone know if a complete OST/Score was ever published, or even who the composer was? It's not my usual favorite, Oh Joon Sung, but in particular the flute theme that plays in the background when things are starting to get interesting is a track I'd like to add to my playlist. I found a few references that suggest that Jang Kyung Jin may have composed at least some of the tracks, but I can't find any more information about this composer, at least in English (and I don't read Korean at all well yet).

• 1 year later...

I was so looking forward to this and am SO INCREDIBLY let down...

It's not just the writing that's bad, it's the acting too. Male lead can only smile and look pretty. Even when he went down on one knee because of the pain (in the agency with his girlfriend at his side) he still manages to laugh at her without a hint of pain? Right. Yuri actually did well, nothing but kudos to her. The idiot that tried to be her boyfriend actually falls for the same trap twice. And thinks he's got enough knowledge of martial arts to beat a kid who's obviously been training since he was wearing diapers. Delusional much? But yeah, perseverance pays off I guess? lol. The police officer always looked awkward. I get that with his teenage daughter, but it's also when on the job. He never looked like a convincing cop to me. His wife bothered me even more. How is he unable to keep his wife away from his dangerous job? Sure wifey, why don't you stake out this place. The owner and a customer have only died so nothing can happen to you. Rofl.

The writing was incredibly bad. Male lead (I can't be bothered to look up their names) survives a 500 times stronger injection? It would've been enough to kill a herd of elephants, but this guy just walks it off. Sort of. Not to mention the way he was injected was laughable. The girl who shot the dart was behind the barcounter, on the floor, while he was at least 10 feet behind the bar. Considering the height of the bar, she wouldn't even have been able to see him, let alone aim a dart in his neck. 

And why wouldn't the male lead not just shoot 2 of the 3 dead and kneecap the remaining one? He's got the gun, why not use it? Oh no, we need to show off our fighting skills. Sigh.

I can go on and on about how bad this was but I'd rather go watch something else now and forget this abomination.

//rant over

Archived