[Drama 2015] The Village: Achiara's Secret 마을- 아치아라의 비밀

larus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@baduy that art teacher was the one who put hands on that girl's thigh? I never saw that scene...I think that was from ep 3 right?

Ep2 cliffhanger sequence resumed in ep 3, though  in ep 3 we were tricked about who was in the car with Ga Yeong and hence whose hand it was and what the hand's owner was up to.  This is a drama where you really have to watch every scene closely and not foreclose any options, even by what seem at the time perfectly plausible conclusions. And preferably watch it more than once.  Recaps won't cut it.  Even the most scrupulously accurate recap of this strand as we were tricked into viewing it in ep3 would lead readers astray, exactly as viewers were deliberately led astray when they watched it without the benefit of ep 4 hindsight.

I watched a scene where the man dressed as a woman is attacked by students and later, he was trying to shock women, but it didn't work on HJ.

We saw that scene twice, and it turned out the first time round, the Young Lady was concealing something in retelling it to Woo Jae. It's only in the cliffhanger lead-up sequence (intercut with SY making a discovery that will send all the countless netizens who praised this drama for, at long last, dispensing with the birth secrets trope rushing to find that hole in the Achiara woods and hide away down it) that the Young Lady, pledging Woo Jae to secrecy, reveals the crucial missing bit, namely "something she said to me" which led to his fixation on HJ.  Not only did HJ not run away but instead looked Young Lady steadily in the eye and then slowly, though not menacingly advance towards him till he himself turned tail and fled (as in his first version of the encounter). But the "secret" addition is that as she stood close to  him, she said in tones which are half-compassionate, half despondent,  "Looking at you, I know what your heart is like."  That's what paralyzed him for a moment, then caused him to run off in shocked confusion. 

Thanks for all the explanation @baduy ...epi 4 was really interesting ....can't wait for the next episode...

"Looking at you, I know what your heart is like." 

This This This... ....

lolz this makes me think if hye jin was lesbian and was in relationship with ji sook ....she purposely slept with her husband....to take revenge on her...

i don't think so ki hoon was romantically involved with hye jin .......maybe he knew about their relationship but kept quiet as he really loves ji sook.....

Baduy's guide to visual interpretation of Kdrama scenes #1659

(Warning: this posting, like everything to do with  Korean TV nowadays, contains product placement )

twinset.jpg

Typical appearance of an Ajumma who's had a hard life and has a birth secret to reveal. (No Kdrama is complete without one)

For FIVE DAYS ONLY, this unique Birth Secret Ajumma twinset, in a fetchingly drab beige/off-white wool-polyester mix, guaranteed not to lose its shape after multiple washes, since it doesn't have any shape in the first place, can be yours for only ₩300,000 plus 100 coupons from special packs of Jolly Pong snacks.

Stand out from the boringly well-dressed Seoul crowds, and save your long-lost relatives the bother of having to look so hard to spot you.

You know it makes sense! Or at least more sense than the average Kdrama plot.

I watched a scene where the man dressed as a woman is attacked by students and later, he was trying to shock women, but it didn't work on HJ.

We saw that scene twice, and it turned out the first time round, the Young Lady was concealing something in retelling it to Woo Jae. It's only in the cliffhanger lead-up sequence (intercut with SY making a discovery that will send all the countless netizens who praised this drama for, at long last, dispensing with the birth secrets trope rushing to find that hole in the Achiara woods and hide away down it) that the Young Lady, pledging Woo Jae to secrecy, reveals the crucial missing bit, namely "something she said to me" which led to his fixation on HJ.  Not only did HJ not run away but instead looked Young Lady steadily in the eye and then slowly, though not menacingly advance towards him till he himself turned tail and fled (as in his first version of the encounter). But the "secret" addition is that as she stood close to  him, she said in tones which are half-compassionate, half despondent,  "Looking at you, I know what your heart is like."  That's what paralyzed him for a moment, then caused him to run off in shocked confusion. 

Thanks for all the explanation @baduy ...epi 4 was really interesting ....can't wait for the next episode...

This This This... ....

lolz this makes me think if hye jin was lesbian and was in relationship with ji sook ....she purposely slept with her husband....to take revenge on her...

i don't think so ki hoon was romantically involved with hye jin .......maybe he knew about their relationship but kept quiet as he really loves ji sook.....

Please see my edited post above for my correction to my original (lousy) translation after re-listening to the line properly on the raw.

To atone for my earlier translation goof, here's the decisive snippet of the conversation SY has close to the end of the episode with the twinset Ajumma, who is a finally traced paternal aunt of hers. This should shed a lot of light, pending completion of the subs.

SY: You're saying my mother wasn't my sister's birth mother?

Aunt: Your parents, distressed at being childless for so long, had Su Jeong entered on their family register as their own child. But then a few years later you were conceived.

SY: And my sister had found that out? How?

Aunt: When your maternal grandmother who lived in Canada sent for you alone and then broke off, contact, your sister must have realized something was suspicious. She pondered for several years why she'd been abandoned. And eventually she drew her conclusion. That her deceased mother was not her birth mother, and that was why her maternal grandmother took in you alone. She asked me who her real mother was, and I told her truthfully I had no idea. But although she knew your father was her real father too, the discovery had a devastating impact on her.

This This This... ....

Please see my edited post above for my correction to my original (lousy) translation after re-listening to the line properly on the raw.

Thanks for the clarification @baduy BUT i still feel my theory about about hye jin somewhat right ....why she was abandoned by her own family... why grandmother only took so yoon with her to canada ...not hye jin! ....something was wrong with hye jin ...for sure and i think she kind of craved for motherly love but never got such love ....the painting made by her of mother n child hint to something...

she was really close to kids yoona and Ba-woo...both kids were neglected by their famlies ...because they are kind of different..special...ji sook always neglected yoona because she was busy buttering ki hoon and wanted him by her side ....yoona is definitely jealous of ki hoon n ji sook relationship....hint to the dinner scene when she was listening to ki hoon story ........she was definitely jealous!

@riya988  This drama's psychic powers must be infectious.  Look at the post just above your latest one. There I in effect answer your question while you were still thinking of posting it (about why the older sister was left behind, I mean).

So beware everyone: BADUY KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE THINKING. Be careful to think only NICE THOUGHTS, especially about my fallible translating skills....

Guest ctalks2

You know you are becoming part of the village when, as a viewer, you realize that each character is growing on you. The last 2 episodes make you want to know your neighbors and what each one's story is.  Thanks to YSJ's character for being nice and warm in village of rather unsettling folks (MGY's character included). 

Everytime Kim Hye Jin is mentioned, Seo Gi Hyun's face cringes... He does have some link to her. What if he was in love with Kim Hye Jin?

JS seems to be close to her step son. Maybe the photos of Kim Hye Jin with her hubby would have made her angry because SGH wanted to be in relationship with her? I think the photos were just staged or it was fake. I don't understand the nonchalant attitude of Kim Hye Jin when JS confronted her.

A lot of questions in my head but I still haven't rewatched the episodes to get more clues. The 4th episode isn't fully subbed either so I have to wait.

Since quite a few people expressed interest in my comments about how Yuna's "attitude" comes out in forms that are highly specific to Korean culture and so are hard to convey via English subtitles,  I thought I'd go into a bit more detail while people are waiting for the subs for eps 3 and 4 to be completed.

At first sight this matter seems relevant only to people interested in the finer points of Korean language usage, but maybe some illustration  of how desperately difficult it can be to translate Korean dialogue faithfully would help quell those indignant demands for instant subs which so irritate people who work long hours (often after a tough day of real-world work) to provide them.

There's a good example in the sequence near the start of ep 3 (at around 00:05:46) where Yuna comes to the police station to declare that her bracelet is proof that the corpse is Kim Kye Jin.

She speaks to Woo Jae in polite speech, of course, but polite speech (sometimes called the "-yo form") is arguably the trickiest of all Korean speech forms for us foreign learners to suss out. Native speakers have internalized its subtleties from such an early age that few of them are consciously aware of the complexities of when, how or why they use them, since to them they have become second nature.

It's a whole lot more complicated than most text books make out or many teachers claim. The mean reason for that is that this speech form has a number of sub-varities of varying degrees of "politeness" which native speakers spontaneously mix and match depending on their sense of exactly what their standing is with regard to the person they're addressing.

It can be used between adult equals who are on cordial, but not intimate (or in-group based) terms, or by seniors addressing juniors to whom they want to show a degree of courtesy, even if the ground rules of etiquette would permit them to address them more bluntly (for example nowadays some high school teachers  use the polite form when addressing their class as a whole, although normally not when talking to them individually), as well as by juniors to those they are obliged to address respectfully, the latter being the case here where 14-year old Yuna is speaking to a police officer on official business.

Although, as any grammar book will tell you, the polite speech form has, as an absolute must, the -yo politeness marker attached to every main verb (and to every monosyllabic answer, with the notable exception of 네 = "yes" which never takes the -yo particle) it is customary to show respect to someone of clearly superior rank or status by inserting additional -yo's on certain items that aren't actually main verbs, where the -yo isn't strictly speaking necessary.  And this is especially so with the extremely common particle sometimes termed the "imminent elaboration marker", so named because one of its uses is for a speaker to signal either that what they just said isn't everything they've got to say, so they'll be adding more in a moment, or that they in fact won't say any more, because the rest of what they're getting at should be obvious.

We hear that particle in Yuna's response to Woo Jae's rather dismissive comment that "just one thing" like the bracelet isn't evidence of the corpse's identity. She holds the bracelet up and replies:

한 거 아닌데, 샘이 직접 만든 거예요.

"But it's 'not just one thing': it's something teacher made herself."

The colon there (and the pause for emphasis which that English punctuation mark suggests) is the best English can do to match the explicit "imminent continuation marker" in Yuna's actual speech which she adds to her claim that it's 'not just one thing' before pausing for emphasis, then completing the rest of her sentence.  

Now, if we leave aside the fact that an adult would never use the student-jargon word for "teacher" Yuna employs here, we could imagine an adult, let's say Yuna's mother, saying that exact same thing to Woo Jae with no hint of impoliteness or uppityness. But when a 14-year-old speaks to a police officer, it's normal (though not grammatically mandated) to add an extra -yo particle to such a "imminent continuation marker", especially when followed by such a long pause before completing the sentence. In other words, a well-mannered girl (or rather a girl who wasn't going out of her way to be as ill-mannered as she can get away with) would be likely to say 한 거 아닌데, 샘이 직접 만든 거예요. It's the absence in what Yuna actually says of that grammatically unnecessary but socially expected first -yo, marked in red there, that contributes a distinct tinge of uppityness to Yuna's speech.

Yuna follows this with an impudent action, slamming her bracelet down on the counter to show it's the same as the one on the corpse, and saying "She made mine, too". Well, the slamming at least "translates" non-verbally, but what is less obvious is that as a general principle of Korean etiquette, one should avoid putting something down for someone else to then pick up (that's why parting customers at Kdrama tent bars thrust their payment into the presiding Ajumma's hands. They only put it down on the counter or table if they're in an absolutely desperate hurry to leave). Items should always be proffered hand to hand (and if the proferring person is junior to the receiver, it should be proffered either with both hands, or with the right hand while the left hand is tucked underneath it at the wrist). That's also why when snobbish Chaebol matrons produce cash-stuffed envelopes to pay off undesirable would-be daughters-in-law they put the envelope firmly down on the table: that's a plain signal of contempt towards the recipient. [Anyone who's ever shopped in a small store in Germany will know that German etiquette, at least where cash payments are concerned, is the exact reverse. There's a glass tray, a bit like a large ashtray, on the counter where you are expected to put your cash down. The shopkeeper will then pick it up from there, and if you have any change due, will then put it down in the same tray, never straight into your outstretched hand. Evidence of how relative and arbitrary social conventions can be.]

But getting back to Yuna, there's yet more translation-resistent uppityness in her next reply to Woo Jae, after he warns her he doesn't want any more lies from her like she gave him last time. 이번에는 진짜로 거짓말 아니거든요. "This time I'm not lying, honest." Well there's the required polite 요 particle on the end of the main verb. But before that particle, Yuna blatantly stuffs in another one: 거든, which could hardly be less polite in its tone and in effect wipes out the theoretical politeness of the -yo that immediately follows it.

Since English makes hardly any use of particles in this way, it's very hard to get the effect across in a sub. This particle implies that someone has made a stupid assumption or shown their ignorance. It can also be used to assert a view in a way that implies you don't care that the person you're addressing thinks of that view -- rather like adding "so there!" to such an assertion in English. So it can only safely be used to someone who either is on such good terms with you that they're up for some "friendly abuse" of the "I told you that already, you dope" kind, or to someone you really want to cheek by proclaiming that they must be totally stupid if they either don't know or don't believe what you're saying in your main verb. It's a particle very frequently used by squabbling children and teens among themselves, and by argumentative adults to one another if they have no pretensions to good manners. But from a student, or indeed an adult, to a police officer doing his duty, it's very rude indeed.

So in a couple of short sentences and one simple action, all over in a few seconds, Yuna conveys some very clear messages, provided we recognize the social codes she's transgressing. Of course, this isn't her only manner of speaking and behaving. All these deliberately transgressive verbal or gestural moves, and others like them that it would be tedious to list further, are totally absent when she talks to Ba Woo, or in the flashback where she was with Hye Jin. They dominate whenever she talks to her parents or granny, come and go from moment to moment when she's talking to Gi Hyeon, reflecting her momentarily fluctuating sense of whether he's "really nice, or just pretending to be nice", and, significantly, they were very noticeable in her first dealings with SY, but have become less and less frequent as they get to know and trust each other.

"She Was Pretty" sets record after postponed airing

2015/10/15

"She Was Pretty" set a record once again.

According to Nielsen Korea, the ninth episode of MBC drama "She Was Pretty" set a record of 16.7%. This is 2.2% more than the previous episode.

"She Was Pretty" is a romantic comedy of the four characters Hye-jin (Hwang Jeong-eum) a curly haired freak, Seong Joon (Park Seo-joon), a loser who turns over a new leaf, Ha-ri (Ko Joon-hee), a sexy girl who seems perfect but isn't, and Sin Hyeok (Choi Si-won) who is crazy.

Meanwhile, SBS "The Village: Achiara's Secret" and KBS 2TV "The Merchant: Gaekju 2015" recorded 5.2% and 10.0%.

Credit : hancinema.net

I sometimes feel disappointed that dramas with mysterious aura and a new kind of story never gets attention and the ratings are low. The bubbly romantic, used plot lines easily make a win with the right ingredients. I guess people want to enjoy the night with something that would make them happy rather than pondering about a murder when you close your eyes to sleep.

I love this drama.

A question: Who was the lady who slipped the package (of the photos) in JS's hands in the exhibit?

@baduy, it was quite a clear explanation of the many things Yuna does that show how she doesn't care one bit for the traditional norms of respect. I actually find it great fun to see her actions and words.

There is one particle which has always surprised me because of the lack of stress on politeness when it us used. That is 아니라 . Not sure if it is technically a particle, but it sets up a contrast with what precedes it and what follows it. The interesting thing is that a 요 is never added to it regardless of the situation. I noticed it first in a scene in DongYi where the lead lady said an 아니라 to the Joseon king.  I started noticing it ever since, and could never figure out how Koreans who are so well-trained to unconsciously use 요 at all other similar places can make themselves say such an impolite-sounding 아니라. How do such exceptions develop historically, I wonder.

Guest ororomunroe

[Spoilers] Village

dd00.jpg

Xports News - Naver: 'Village' Did On Joo Wan kill Jang Hee Jin?

1. [+2,815, -76] So spooky and fun. It might not be everyone's cup of tea because it's super scary

2. [+2,280, -37] It's not On Joo Wan. Everyone in the village seems like a suspect

3. [+2,040, -68] Without Yook Sungjae, I wouldn't be watching this drama because it's too freaking scary ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ That part where Sungjae covered his eyes with his hands while looking at the Lady ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+446, -17] The drama would be total darkness without Yook Sungjae. Casting him did wonders

5. [+409, -6] The Lady is handsome without the makeup!

6. [+405, -9] Officer Park and the Lady are funny together ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+392, -12] This would be daebak famous right now if not on the same time slot as 'She Was Pretty'ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ It's a shame to fangirl over it alone

8. [+308, -10] The sound the Lady makes when he eats chicken ㅋㅋㅋㅋ He and Yook Sung Jae have great chemistry ㅋㅋ

Nate
1. [+235, -7] It was such a scary experience watching this alone while the lights are off.. The art teacher, Shin Eun Kyung and the pharmacists are all suspicious. And On Joo Wan, did he kill because of his mom? I'm so curious of the culprit

2. [+29, -5] Pervert Lady and Yook Sungjae were so funny today, especially the sound he makes when eating chicken ㅋㅋGil Taemi with his smoky makeup adds fun to 'Six Flying Dragons' while pervert Lady is Village's comic relief. This drama's spooky and mysterious. Six Flying Dragons, Village and I Have a Lover...SBS dramas are fun lately

3. [+24, -4] I immediately turned the lights on because I freaked out when the  ghost appeared in the car but it was apparently On Joo Wanㅋㅋㅋㅋ Lee Yeoreum is pretty

cr: kkuljaem

Archived